• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

D

Deleted member

Honestly BirthNote, I wouldn't go to GameFaqs for any answer as the place is filled with trolls, jerks and bias ******** who pretend and act like they know everything. I wouldn't give 2 cents to the GameFaqs crowd for nothing.
With GameFaqs, the discussion is usually:

"Why is that ***** character popular? They suck *****!"

"I will tell you why they don't deserve to be in Smash for a number of reasons."

"Only their ***** fans want them in the game haha!"
Trying to go to GameFAQs for intelligent discussion is like trying to have a conversation with Cranky Kong to become more positive.
It isn't much different compared to SmashBoards' RTC thread.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Kinda true. But yeah, gamefaqs, that brings back memories, even as one who wasn’t a registered user... They were also pretty much against most of the previously proposed characters that got in, but what do you expect given the nature of that forum?

p.s. If only..

Smash invitation falls to the ground

Diddy: What was that?

Dixie turns around

Dixie: It was a Smash invite!

Diddy: WHAT?! GET IT GIRL!!!

Jurae818

Smash Journeyman
Ok, so I asked everyone what makes Dixie The Last Nintendo All-Star and I got good feedback. By chance, I decided to check out GameFAQs and found this topic that challenges the notion:
The consensus there boils down to "Nah, not really" at best. Most of the replies are blunt, and I wanted to share this thread and see how everyone here feels about it.
If Ness is considered a Nintendo All-Star, Dixie is definitely one and I say this as a MOTHER fan. Pretty much all the comments supporting her status as one I agree with. But with my comment on Ness, this kinda shows how Smash has changed over the years. You got big names like DK, Mario, Yoshi, Link and Pikachu and you got lesser guys like Samus, Fox, Kirby and Falcon.

A-list: Mario, DK, Link, Luigi, Yoshi, Pikachu
B-list: Samus, Jigglypuff, Fox, Kirby
C-list: Capt. Falcon, Ness

This is just me, though. You had a good mix of characters that were iconic, interesting and unique. I feel a lot of characters regulated to Assist Trophies and Spirits are far bigger than some of the B-listers. And a very unpopular opinion coming, but I feel the 'big' names now are only big because of Smash. Example, Kirby. I'm a big Kirby fan but I feel that Kirby in reality is a B-lister at best. Smash makes the series bigger than it is and the irony that it only seems to cover four games to this very day. Kirby really can't stand on the same plain as Mario, DK, Link and Pikachu. I'm as serious as a heart attack in that regard.

Donkey Kong, much bigger than Kirby. All games under the DKC label have all broken at least a million and put Rareware at the time on the map to the mainstream. Tropical Freeze is regarded as the best DKC game on par with DKC2 and guess who returned in that title?

and funky too

The notion that every character that's important already being in is also disingenuous, because there's a handful of shill picks and adverts in my opinion that would have never been added realistically and it's also disrespectful to the people still wanting their character to appear as a fighter. They said this in 2018 when K. Rool was revealed. If there weren't any more characters to add, the fighters passes wouldn't be a thing so it's clear that there are still plenty to add, and whether or not they're an 'all-star' is completely subjective. If wanting Dixie, Toad, Bandana Dee and Tingle are scraping the bottom of the barrel, it's their fault for letting the barrel get that way in the first place.

They can easily do another pass with assist trophies and spirits and I don't think people will complain. It'll be a nice nod to those fans and you also avoid the obvious elephants in the room that are Min Min and Pyra/Mythra and no disrespect to those that like them, but it's proof that sometimes nothing is better than something. Rex and Springman fans have every right to be pissed and Sakurai wanting to adhere to his assist/mii costume rule also makes Min Min/Pyra/Mythra's inclusions sloppy in that regard.

Thankfully, Diddy was added long before so Dixie's inclusion won't have that burden attached to her if she does get in.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
If Ness is considered a Nintendo All-Star, Dixie is definitely one and I say this as a MOTHER fan. Pretty much all the comments supporting her status as one I agree with. But with my comment on Ness, this kinda shows how Smash has changed over the years. You got big names like DK, Mario, Yoshi, Link and Pikachu and you got lesser guys like Samus, Fox, Kirby and Falcon.

A-list: Mario, DK, Link, Luigi, Yoshi, Pikachu
B-list: Samus, Jigglypuff, Fox, Kirby
C-list: Capt. Falcon, Ness

This is just me, though. You had a good mix of characters that were iconic, interesting and unique. I feel a lot of characters regulated to Assist Trophies and Spirits are far bigger than some of the B-listers. And a very unpopular opinion coming, but I feel the 'big' names now are only big because of Smash. Example, Kirby. I'm a big Kirby fan but I feel that Kirby in reality is a B-lister at best. Smash makes the series bigger than it is and the irony that it only seems to cover four games to this very day. Kirby really can't stand on the same plain as Mario, DK, Link and Pikachu. I'm as serious as a heart attack in that regard.

Donkey Kong, much bigger than Kirby. All games under the DKC label have all broken at least a million and put Rareware at the time on the map to the mainstream. Tropical Freeze is regarded as the best DKC game on par with DKC2 and guess who returned in that title?

and funky too

The notion that every character that's important already being in is also disingenuous, because there's a handful of shill picks and adverts in my opinion that would have never been added realistically and it's also disrespectful to the people still wanting their character to appear as a fighter. They said this in 2018 when K. Rool was revealed. If there weren't any more characters to add, the fighters passes wouldn't be a thing so it's clear that there are still plenty to add, and whether or not they're an 'all-star' is completely subjective. If wanting Dixie, Toad, Bandana Dee and Tingle are scraping the bottom of the barrel, it's their fault for letting the barrel get that way in the first place.

They can easily do another pass with assist trophies and spirits and I don't think people will complain. It'll be a nice nod to those fans and you also avoid the obvious elephants in the room that are Min Min and Pyra/Mythra and no disrespect to those that like them, but it's proof that sometimes nothing is better than something. Rex and Springman fans have every right to be pissed and Sakurai wanting to adhere to his assist/mii costume rule also makes Min Min/Pyra/Mythra's inclusions sloppy in that regard.

Thankfully, Diddy was added long before so Dixie's inclusion won't have that burden attached to her if she does get in.
To be honest, I would put Samus, Fox and Kirby on the A-List as well since they're part of the Original 8 and have had plenty of cameos, merchandise and been part of a lot of promotional Nintendo material over the years. Their franchises might not be as big as some of the other A-Listers, but I would consider them A-Listers though.

Jurae818

Smash Journeyman
^I'm only referencing their status at the time of the original Smash 64. But even now, to me that list really isn't any different, though Jigglypuff still has retained its popularity enough to go to A and with more characters and IP's added, that list would be a lot more complex to compose. Not that being on a B or C-list is bad, I actually want more B and C-listers, most of my wants are in those categories. I was just pointing out that Smash may make a series bigger than it really is and some people would deem characters like Ness and Falcon iconic...only to reference their time in Smash rather than their respective game and series respectively.

Sorry for the double post.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
^I'm only referencing their status at the time of the original Smash 64. But even now, to me that list really isn't any different, though Jigglypuff still has retained its popularity enough to go to A and with more characters and IP's added, that list would be a lot more complex to compose. Not that being on a B or C-list is bad, I actually want more B and C-listers, most of my wants are in those categories. I was just pointing out that Smash may make a series bigger than it really is and some people would deem characters like Ness and Falcon iconic...only to reference their time in Smash rather than their respective game and series respectively.

Sorry for the double post.
Samus and Fox I think were A-Listers even before Smash existed. They made cameos in games and were part of big promotional material for Nintendo even before Smash was a thing.

Is double posting this really necessary?

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Jurae818 Jurae818 I agree completely. I've noticed people follow the mindset that a character that doesn't make the cut are by default not good, and that only good characters make it to Smash. If something like a ReDead from Zelda or Slippy's wrench from Starfox were playable, there'd be legions of fans saying these characters were massive stars and so their inclusion was common sense. Smash is definitely a boost in popularity but it's not an end-all validation for the character. There's still worthwhile and noteworthy faces still missing.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Jurae818 Jurae818 I agree completely. I've noticed people follow the mindset that a character that doesn't make the cut are by default not good, and that only good characters make it to Smash. If something like a ReDead from Zelda or Slippy's wrench from Starfox were playable, there'd be legions of fans saying these characters were massive stars and so their inclusion was common sense. Smash is definitely a boost in popularity but it's not an end-all validation for the character. There's still worthwhile and noteworthy faces still missing.
Regardless of this though, I still see Samus and Fox as A-Listers as they were treated like A-Listers even before Smash.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483

Not going to lie, I think I had long fallen on these mindsets perhaps over the years - or at least used them to justify some cynic feelings on Toad being not an important legacy character to be in Smash as playable for perhaps ever, mainly due :ultpiranha: 's inclusion feeling to me like Sakurai's completely done with Mario-series' roster, while implying for longest time that Toad has no moveset potential, etc. Kinda had me wonder would that have said something about Toad as a character over time - being the defacto generic NPC-stand-in in Mario-series despite having one independent protagonist with his own (2) starring titles. :025:

Dixie Kong's not as much in similar place with how DK-series needed important fill-ins themselves like K.Rool, which is big kind of progress for DK-series to really come to it's own since Brawl-days, and she at least has had pretty notable starring roles herself, only being omitted or out of the spotlight somewhat regularly between ending 90s' to most of 2000s.

Nonetheless it still annoys me greatly what used to be natural suggestions to the roster during previous installments, have now become deemed "bottom of the barrel" by today's Smash-community. It had really signified to me that Smash has become almost a different game from it's predecessors, not exactly helping me continue investing on the speculation for years now.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
In the end, we know Dixie is a prominent character, but only / mostly for us DKC fans and early 90s or otherwise SNES fans. Even Rare didn't do too great of a job fully establishing her character to be fair. Not to say the characterisation of her in DKC2 and 3 wasn't great! Not the point ! But it's the only thing that was there until Tropical Freeze came around .

Then there's Nintendo, or maybe Sakurai too, whom treated the DKC franchise as basically an extension of the Mario franchise. Smash less so, but Diddy also came late y'know, and K.Rool took a massive fan campaign support group to get in. DK and Diddy are the only characters from the franchise often marketed outside of DKC.

It's quite simple really. But sad at the same time.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
In the end, we know Dixie is a prominent character, but only / mostly for us DKC fans and early 90s or otherwise SNES fans. Even Rare didn't do too great of a job fully establishing her character to be fair. Not to say the characterisation of her in DKC2 and 3 wasn't great! Not the point ! But it's the only thing that was there until Tropical Freeze came around .

Then there's Nintendo, or maybe Sakurai too, whom treated the DKC franchise as basically an extension of the Mario franchise. Smash less so, but Diddy also came late y'know, and K.Rool took a massive fan campaign support group to get in. DK and Diddy are the only characters from the franchise often marketed outside of DKC.

It's quite simple really. But sad at the same time.
It's a shame that DK and Diddy get all the attention from Nintendo while they have pretended the rest of the DKC cast doesn't exist 90% of the time. Like, K. Rool at least now should be getting marketed like DK and Diddy outside of Smash now that he is part of Smash's legendary roster.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
It's a shame that DK and Diddy get all the attention from Nintendo while they have pretended the rest of the DKC cast doesn't exist 90% of the time. Like, K. Rool at least now should be getting marketed like DK and Diddy outside of Smash now that he is part of Smash's legendary roster.
I doubt it honestly. DK and Diddy are gonna remain a league above the rest, and that's not a problem. They can use their legend status to lift the rest of the franchise higher with them. It shouldn't be a problem at all if DK and Diddy are the only playable Kongs in a game once in a while if there's enough games coming out anyway regardless.

'Oh we have DK and Diddy alone in the new Donkey Kong Country : Rise of the Tiger King? No problem! Looking forward to see Dixie, Funky, Cranky, Lanky, K.Rool, the Kremlings, Rambi and Expresso again in DKC7 which comes out in 6 months!'

This is when it helps when games keep coming out. They can experiment with stuff, and keep things fresh. I mean, even with our bad track record of games, we can STILL confidently state we got more of a main cast than say, Zelda.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I doubt it honestly. DK and Diddy are gonna remain a league above the rest, and that's not a problem. They can use their legend status to lift the rest of the franchise higher with them. It shouldn't be a problem at all if DK and Diddy are the only playable Kongs in a game once in a while if there's enough games coming out anyway regardless.

'Oh we have DK and Diddy alone in the new Donkey Kong Country : Rise of the Tiger King? No problem! Looking forward to see Dixie, Funky, Cranky, Lanky, K.Rool, the Kremlings, Rambi and Expresso again in DKC7 which comes out in 6 months!'

This is when it helps when games keep coming out. They can experiment with stuff, and keep things fresh. I mean, even with our bad track record of games, we can STILL confidently state we got more of a main cast than say, Zelda.
Still, I think characters like Dixie and K. Rool should be marketed more often and should appear in games like Mario Kart alongside DK and Diddy. Yes, Dixie is in Tour but still.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Still, I think characters like Dixie and K. Rool should be marketed more often and should appear in games like Mario Kart alongside DK and Diddy. Yes, Dixie is in Tour but still.
Will happen eventually when we get more releases. I mean, Bowser and Peach even didn't had much popularity before Mario, and even Luigi did. The more popular the Mario Bros. became, the more marketable the rest became.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Will happen eventually when we get more releases. I mean, Bowser and Peach even didn't had much popularity before Mario, and even Luigi did. The more popular the Mario Bros. became, the more marketable the rest became.
True, true. Bowser and Peach was barely marketed at all in the 80s and even 90s.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Indeed. A French book about video game heroes I recently bought even went to the trouble of listing several Marioverse characters besides Mr. Video Game (Luigi, Peach, Donkey Kong (his article incidentally acknowledging that his 40th was coming, despite being written in 2018), Wario, Yoshi and even Toad).
In the meantime, :ultkrool: getting in Smash at all is a significant first step. Whether or not Mario Kart Tour or the presumable 40th anniversary of DK will propel that momentum remains to be seen.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Indeed. A French book about video game heroes I recently bought even went to the trouble of listing several Marioverse characters besides Mr. Video Game (Luigi, Peach, Donkey Kong (his article incidentally acknowledging that his 40th was coming, despite being written in 2018), Wario, Yoshi and even Toad).
In the meantime, :ultkrool: getting in Smash at all is a significant first step. Whether or not Mario Kart Tour or the presumable 40th anniversary of DK will propel that momentum remains to be seen.
What? Do you speak or read French KirbyWorshipper? That's cool. I'm part French as my great grandfather from my mother's side was a full blown Cajun. I don't know French though and I don't even know Spanish either even though I'm half Mexican.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
What? Do you speak or read French KirbyWorshipper? That's cool. I'm part French as my great grandfather from my mother's side was a full blown Cajun. I don't know French though and I don't even know Spanish either even though I'm half Mexican.
I speak and read it since birth (which is pretty handy, since French imports are often the only way I can get comic books, manga and game art books locally at all).

SeashoreWar

Smash Journeyman
Just in time for Donkey Kong day, a new update to Donkey Kong Racing! This time for the Kongs that debuted in 64. All 3 got new drawings. Tiny looks the most different from before. Decided to give her tie dye overalls to go with her flower power theme. Chunky also got a change in his gym attire. And Lanky is still Lanky!

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Yeah, even with Dixie being added to Smash, I think DK and Diddy would likely still be marketed more at the end of the day (which kinda makes sense as the series started with them), but she would still have much more exposure and popularity than she had previously, and would become marketed more as a result. She's been marketed decently though for someone still not playable in Smash, which makes it all the more odd that she's not in...

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
But I thought Chunky was dead? Brentalfloss lied.
That's a lie. It's a well known fact in the Kong family that Chunky is actually Bigfoot. He's big, shy, and extremely strong. Deep in your heart you know it makes sense.

Just don't go around spreading this info too much. He likes living as a recluse.

Handy Man

Smash Ace
Yeah, even with Dixie being added to Smash, I think DK and Diddy would likely still be marketed more at the end of the day (which kinda makes sense as the series started with them), but she would still have much more exposure and popularity than she had previously, and would become marketed more as a result. She's been marketed decently though for someone still not playable in Smash, which makes it all the more odd that she's not in...
I really thought that Dixie Kong being in Tropical Freeze on the Wii U would have a domino effect on her getting more appearances. Why would Nintendo and Retro go through all of the effort of bringing Dixie Kong back and not follow through with it? Tropical Freeze released before games like Mario Kart 8 and Smash 4, and Dixie Kong being in those games would have been fantastic follow-ups. I feel like it’s incredibly odd that the only new game Dixie Kong has been in since Tropical Freeze’s Wii U release is just Mario Kart Tour. King K. Rool has also proved that Smash can drastically increase interest in a character, and Dixie Kong could benefit a ton from that.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Gamefaqs? More like Gamewhack!

Ow! Son of a...
I am not going to speak against the users of GameFAQs, but I did find it somewhat odd that most of the responses were berating of the idea.
Is it any wonder why I only use GameFAQs for its intended purpose? Reading faqs to help with clearing games.

I think the issue is that for the longest time prior to the Gamecube era, only Rare made the most extensive use of the DK property for the most part. The minute they went to greener (Xbox) pastures, Japanese developers just had no idea what to do with the series, not helped by the cultural quirk of not wanting to mess with things that were created by other people (including each other). As we all know, Jungle Beat was the worst case, as Koizumi didn't even dare to use anyone other than the most marketable Kong.

Donkey_Konga_Artwork.jpg

Couple that with the Smash series' infamous sense of timing for tying into the state of various Nintendo IPs and it's natural that Dixie got lost in the shuffle.

Not to mention that even now, we've yet to see any new developers make games for the series itself besides Retro, but that might change if we hear anything on the 40th anniversary later this year.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Just in time for Donkey Kong day, a new update to Donkey Kong Racing! This time for the Kongs that debuted in 64. All 3 got new drawings. Tiny looks the most different from before. Decided to give her tie dye overalls to go with her flower power theme. Chunky also got a change in his gym attire. And Lanky is still Lanky!

Looks great!

Top Bottom