• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

Justin Little

Smash Ace
I would accept Dixie as a bonus character ala Piranha Plant. She deserves better of course, but whatever it takes to finally get her playable in this darn series I'm all for it. On the plus side, she probably wouldn't be an echo if Plant is anything to go by.

Would be nice if they brought back the Returns stage with her though. And new music.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Dixie does have the perfect merrits to be such an extra character, because she wouldn't exactly need a stage and new music to join her. K.Rool also (shamefully) didn't get those, safe for the one remix (which is a great one). I won't dare to really expect her, but I wouldn't be too surprised either. Seeing as all other first party DLC characters have a game released on the Switch, Dixie would follow suit easily.

Handy Man

Smash Ace
I feel like a bonus character spot is Dixie Kong’s best chance of getting in. I was never confident about her taking a fighter pass spot unfortunately, largely because all of the first party characters added so far have been to promote a new Switch game (Three Houses, ARMS, Xenoblade 2). Dixie Kong could promote the Tropical Freeze port as well, but I feel like Nintendo has been priortizing third parties for fighter passes overall. It makes more sense for brand new franchises to Smash to get a stage and songs, but Byleth, Sephiroth, and Pyra show that isn’t required.

Overall, I feel like Dixie Kong has better chances as a standalone character, due to not competing with a brand new franchise to Smash for a character spot. I would be happy regardless of how Dixie Kong got in, and I would gladly take a bonus character spot if it increases her odds.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Recently I asked about the potential ways to do a 3D DK game and now I've found myself curious about an element of a future 2D DK title. Since the gameplay for those Country titles is fairly well established, I think a more provocative question would be about the graphical aesthetics of such a game. Like the 3D question, there's various possibilities with their own respective strengths and weaknesses.

Current Games Style (Continuing the Retro Legacy)
Pro: Very familiar to much of the younger DK audience & one easy to build synergy with in regards to Donkey & Diddy's appearances in other titles.
Con: Doesn't pop out among current 2D platformers as much as it could (though avoiding NSMB's bland style) & feels fairly safe as far as design.

Rare Throwback Style (90s in HD!)
1617574533118.jpeg
Pro: Would be very distinct in terms of aesthetics and immediately tie newer games to the classic SNES titles.
Con: Potentially could lack the same impact for newer audiences & could be seen as too attached to/constrained by older eras.

Hand Drawn Style (Kaze & the Wild Kongs)
Pro: Would allow for some real charm & characterization for the Kongs & enemies via the animation.
Con: Does render it similar to many current indie efforts & would make DKC a bit less unique.

Dark Fantasy Style (ORIngtuan Gang)
Pro: Would instantly distinguiush it from the likes of SMB & do justice to the sense of depth/feeling that DKC can pull off so well.
Con: A risky move given that some players might be turned off by a DK title looking that different & development would take longer overall.

I think all of their merits in one way or another.

Last edited:

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
I'd like to see Donkey Kong in a claymation style. I think the ACM graphics of the SNES games had a little bit of that vibe to them and it would certainly stand out.

If they really wanted to go the extra mile they could use actual clay models and make prerendered graphics using those. That would really capture the feel of the originals.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I feel like a bonus character spot is Dixie Kong’s best chance of getting in. I was never confident about her taking a fighter pass spot unfortunately, largely because all of the first party characters added so far have been to promote a new Switch game (Three Houses, ARMS, Xenoblade 2). Dixie Kong could promote the Tropical Freeze port as well, but I feel like Nintendo has been priortizing third parties for fighter passes overall. It makes more sense for brand new franchises to Smash to get a stage and songs, but Byleth, Sephiroth, and Pyra show that isn’t required.

Overall, I feel like Dixie Kong has better chances as a standalone character, due to not competing with a brand new franchise to Smash for a character spot. I would be happy regardless of how Dixie Kong got in, and I would gladly take a bonus character spot if it increases her odds.
Yeah. I always saw Dixie as a base game newcomer or a bonus character as I don't think Sakurai or Nintendo would be willing to add her as a Fighter's Pass character with her own Challenger Pack, stage, music tracks, Spirits, ect.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Pondering on about Dixie's possible place as a Bonus Character, I wonder could we go back on her Mii Hat indicating that she was in development, but ended pushed back big-time to make way for other DLC - but now that I think about it, it'd mean she got less priority than Piranha Plant. So maybe she might have ended conceived somewhere in-between the original Fighters' Pass-lineup as a whole.

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
In the midst of speculation on potential food at the DK section of Super Nintendo World, I always thought the name "Tropical Freeze" sounded like an ICEE styled fruity slushy drink. Just slap a DK logo on that and you got yourself a literal goldmine that can tie in with your game title as well.

3. Icee - Best Movie Theater Snacks - Pictures - Chowhound
That would be brilliant! What is the meal?

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
That would be brilliant! What is the meal?
I have plenty of dessert ideas (Banana flavored DK Ice Cream, the DK Banana cake from the opening of Tropical Freeze), but difficulty coming up with savory foods since bananas really seem to be the main food of the DK-verse. I suppose we could just take a page from the Mario section and have regular food items with DK logos on them.

Last edited:

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
I have plenty of dessert ideas (Banana flavored DK Ice Cream, the DK Banana cake from the opening of Tropical Freeze), but difficulty coming up with savory foods since bananas really seem to be the main food of the DK-verse. I suppose we could just take a page from the Mario section and have regular food items with DK logos on them.
The DK games have a lot of foliage, you could probably work a salad into that menu.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Ok, so I asked everyone what makes Dixie The Last Nintendo All-Star and I got good feedback. By chance, I decided to check out GameFAQs and found this topic that challenges the notion:
The consensus there boils down to "Nah, not really" at best. Most of the replies are blunt, and I wanted to share this thread and see how everyone here feels about it.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Ok, so I asked everyone what makes Dixie The Last Nintendo All-Star and I got good feedback. By chance, I decided to check out GameFAQs and found this topic that challenges the notion:
The consensus there boils down to "Nah, not really" at best. Most of the replies are blunt, and I wanted to share this thread and see how everyone here feels about it.
The only one that I agree with is Toad (or Captain Toad), in terms of him and Dixie being Nintendo characters that really feel like they should be in here by now. (there's also Bandanna Dee, but that's to a lesser extent) Still, I realize that whether or not a character is considered an all-star is partially a matter of opinion.

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
The only one that I agree with is Toad (or Captain Toad), in terms of him and Dixie being Nintendo characters that really feel like they should be in here by now. (there's also Bandanna Dee, but that's to a lesser extent) Still, I realize that whether or not a character is considered an all-star is partially a matter of opinion.
Honestly I'm still surprised Toad didn't make the cut. He felt like a No-brainer that would get in soon but it's weird that he's been overlooked.

With Dixie, I'd say she's an All-Star for being debuting in the best SNES DKC. Her own game did surprisingly well too, despite the circumstances. I'd count Toad and Dixie as All-Stars.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Honestly BirthNote, I wouldn't go to GameFaqs for any answer as the place is filled with trolls, jerks and bias ******** who pretend and act like they know everything. I wouldn't give 2 cents to the GameFaqs crowd for nothing.

Handy Man

Smash Ace
I don’t take GameFAQs seriously. They’re full of trolls, SmashBoards is much better for discussion on character speculation in general. That aside, I looked through the thread you linked, and no one is really giving a critical analysis on why she could not be “The Last Nintendo All-Star”. Here are some examples:

• Not many people were bringing up her roles in DKC2, Tropical Freeze, and especially DKC3.
• A lot of people were saying that Toad should get in before Dixie Kong, which is understandable, but not many were elaborating on exactly why Toad “deserves” to get in more.
• A few people say that characters like Chibi-Robo, Andy, and Aiyumi could also be considered to be important Nintendo characters, but they seem to miss the point on why we think Dixie Kong is so important. We see Dixie Kong as important because she comes from one of Nintendo’s most important IPs ever created, and she is one of the main protagonists to boot.
• General revisionism where people say Dixie Kong is a D-List character when King K. Rool was even less well known and still got into Ultimate.

There are a few good posts in that thread, but you hit the nail on the head when you said that the consensus is “Nah, not really”. Comparing the posts in that GameFAQs thread to the posts from the last page in this thread, you can tell that a lot more effort went into the posts here on SmashBoards. People on here wrote essays with paragraphs on how much Dixie Kong in Smash means to them, discussing in careful detail and keeping in mind any pros and cons she has.

I know that this is the Dixie Kong thread, so there may be some bias here of course, but I would love to see people on GameFAQs care as much about topics in general like this. This is why I have been using SmashBoards for years, and it’s why I’ll continue to come back here over anywhere else for character discussion. Every time I look at discussion on GameFAQs, I just get frustrated and feel like it’s never worth it.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I swear it's a complete coincidence, I thought to myself "Hey, I haven't been there in like 2 years... Let's see what's going on" and that thread was in the Popular Game Boards section. I legit bumped into it by chance and whoever created it is someone IDK at all lol.

That being said, I felt I should put in some good words as pushback. I won't let it bum me out though, I'll be focusing on this site.

Top Bottom