• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Someone made a mod of Dixie for Mario Kart Wii.

Not bad, the voice lines are a nice touch too. It also makes me appreciate the level of detail and charm they put into her Mario Kart Tour iteration. Both this vid and Tour make me hope for Dixie in a console Mario Kart.

Thatkidwiththeafro

The Pink Panther's Bro!
NNID
Mr.F-ZeroBias

For those of you who play Mario Kart Tour, Dixie Kong and Donkey Kong Jr. (SNES) is part of a pipe alongside Sunshine Mario and Funky Kong for those who use banana-related items as well as gliders that have a higher chance of bananas as items during a race.

I'm fully convinced that Dixie is being pushed a LOT for something in this game... Making me think that if King Bob-omb is in Mario Golf: Speed Rush, that Camelot might be giving Dixie a chance yet again...

Nintendo's been pushing Dixie again in Mario Kart of all places... WHAT ARE THEY PLANNING?

This is about the 3rd or 4th time that Dixie has been pushed in Mario Kart Tour lately, and she's still not a common high-end pull like Funky, King Bob-omb, Peachette, Pauline, and several others have become...

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Dixie being highlighted in MK Tour always feels a bit bittersweet. Its nice to see, but its hard to escape a sense that its happening because of both it not taking much investment on Nintendo's part and that the game is a gacha machine where including virtually any Mario adjacent character has no downside to its value. Given all the various titles she could have shown up in (console Mario Karts, the Party titles, various sports spin-offs), with no disrespect intended towards those that enjoy Tour, its just hard to get excited for her getting what feels like the gaming equivalent of table scraps.

Last edited:

Thatkidwiththeafro

The Pink Panther's Bro!
NNID
Mr.F-ZeroBias
Dixie being highlighted in MK Tour always feels a bit bittersweet. Its nice to see, but its hard to escape a sense that its happening because of both it not taking much investment on Nintendo's part and that the game is a gacha machine where including virtually any Mario adjacent character has no downside to its value. Given all the various titles she could have shown up in (console Mario Karts, the Party titles, various sports spin-offs), with no disrespect intended towards those that enjoy Tour, its just hard to get excited for her getting what feels like the gaming equivalent of table scraps.
This is why I'm REALLY hoping that Camelot will finally take the Pauline route and let Dixie become a staple in the spin-offs again. Her abilities in Super Rush could be interesting.

What would she use?

Animal Buddies? Ponytail Attacks? Kiddy comes out to help?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Camelot already expressed their interest in making a 'DK64 sequel', and they where the first to use Diddy in their games, through Mario Golf Toadstool Tour I believe. Can't remember if it was before or after Mario Kart Double Dash, but more important is that they used Diddy a lot before he appeared a lot in the Mario games. Back in the day, this was huge for us DKC fans. I had a rule even that I only would buy a Mario spin off game if Diddy was in it. It's the very reaaon I never bothered with Mario Kart on the Switch, despite it being a real good quality game (my son has it on his own Switch, so I know lol).

I am kind of conflicted if I want Camelot to make that DK64 sequel or a new Golden Sun more. It's hard to choose, but as a true DKC fan, I'll say make the DK game cause we need everything we can get right now.

Also happy to see the thread reach page 333.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
It's now time for another moveset idea!

It's been some time since we visited the 5th Limb category, that being instances where Dixie uses her hair as if it were an extra appendage. In this category, she uses her hair the way she'd use a leg or an arm: smacking, whipping, grabbing, throwing...stuff like that. So for today's demonstration we have this move:

While airborne, Dixie twists at an angle, letting her hair swiftly and forcefully knock foes away. The swing is broad and packs a punch; it's able to hit those below her, behind and slightly above. The range is great for a Kong her size thanks to her ponytail and is best used as a Back Air.

That's the move. It's a heavy-hitting maneuver akin to a swing from Ike's aerials, though slightly softer. The move is performed quickly, and honestly you can angle this move however you'd like to really maximize the range. While it is a Back Air "Officially" (as "Official" as a fanmade idea can be lol), it can honestly be any aerial that isn't Neutral. Seriously, this could be Forward, Up, Down or Back if you angle it appropriately, all you gotta do is assign it to one slot in your hypothetical moveset. Speaking of which, here's the transparent version:
Feel free to rotate it however you please. Also, please put this on twitter whenever you'd like! No rush.

Furthermore, here's the google doc for those who haven't seen it already and for detractors who doubt her moveset potential on other sites:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I picked up and have played a decent amount of Kaze and the Wild Masks, so I figured I'd give my thoughts about it, given its similarities to DKC.

Right off the bat, I cannot exaggerate when I say that it a lot of ways it plays more like the SNES trilogy (especially 2) than anything else I've experienced, including Returns and Tropical Freeze. The hazards, level design, a lot of and main character Kaze's physics (you even get momentum from spinning into enemies!); its like the Dixie oriented spin-off we never got. In fact I'd almost describe it (especially given the art style) as unreleased Country title on the DS; especially in the sense its not quite a full blown leap forward like other sequels/pseudo-sequels have been.

I've mentioned before that Impossible Lair and the Retro games (more TF than the Wii game) are essentially diverging evolutions of the 90s DKC titles. Kaze isn't quite that as it sticks fairly close to the kinetic energy of the latter games while not really expanding overworld/powerups ala Yooka Laylee or big set pieces like the newer DK releases have gone for. Its a bit like Axiom Verge is to the Metroid series, not reinventing the wheel with the latter's concepts, but is an enjoyable supplement to it, especially with the stand out concepts it does have.

Firstly it has an ideal set of collectibles. Four K-A-Z-E letters to collect, 100 gems to get in each stage (with all stages having more than 100 so a bit Rayman esque in that way) and two bonus rooms to every level. The latter are pretty solid, being typically concise and feeling less generic than the ones in Impossible Lair or the Retro games. They also allow infinite immediate retries of them, which cuts down on time wasted; a fact also helped by there being no formal lives system. Honestly if the next DK game emulated that, and in level bananas followed a similar incentive to gems as far as collection, I don't think it would be all that worse off for it.

Finally the big element for Kaze is the titular masks which both do and don't emulate various Country elements. For the sake not giving away their abilities for those that want to go in fresh, I'll keep them in spoilers:

Two of the masks just outright allow you the powers of essentially Enguarde and Squawks, albeit with the former allowing you to still walk around on land. Those that recall Bramble sections of DKC2 will be well prepared for the latter's levels. The other two masks are a bit more distinct. One turns the levels into more or less an autorunner, with the parts of the game almost feeling like a tribute to the Rayman running levels in that sense. They're not bad, though there is a dive move as part of it which will take a great deal of practice to really master.

The fourth mask is one that's quite fun and surprisingly relevant to this thread's recent discussion. It allows for wall cling/jump and more importantly a mid air dash and for all intents and purposes is the rocket power that BirthNote has suggested as an ability for Diddy in future entries. What's cool is that Kaze essentially gives us a chance to see the move in practice in more or less DKC levels and it works quite well; fitting into the pace and tricky platforming of the stages.

I haven't finished the game yet, though it is a fairly short one by today's standards, not all that terribly longer than the original Donkey Kong Country (albeit with bonus levels that are more intuitive to find). As an overall release I'd say its a really talented DKC cover band; while a lot of the appeal lies in the act they're paying tribute to, there are just enough new-esh elements and a charming art style to make a pick-up worthwhile (maybe one after a discount if the $30 price tag turns you off).

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Here's a follow up to my previous post as I just finished Kaze. An overall solid indie title, though I will once again recommend that you might be better off waiting for a discount or price drop as its got great levels but the $30 price tag is a bit much given its relative short length. Impossible Lair is extremely cheap on the eshop right now and offers more content so if you need a DKC fix and haven't picked it up, I'd recommend getting that before you dive into Kaze & the Wild Masks.

Handy Man

Smash Ace
Fanart like this is cool, but I always get frustrated at how Dixie Kong is left out of “Smash Sisters” images in general, simply because she’s not a playable character. It was crazy to see King K. Rool get a massive surge of fanart after his Smash inclusion; people really take for granted how much of a dream these characters were prior to their inclusion, no matter how obvious of a character choice they are. Dixie Kong will always be my most advocated character until she finally joins the battle. She completely deserves it, and she fits right in with characters like Peach, Samus, and Isabelle. I’m sure this topic in general has been brought up several times before, but my point is that Dixie Kong has earned her place in gaming culture a long time ago, and she truly deserves justice.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
This is perfect timing Handy Man Handy Man because I wanted to ask everyone this question:

What makes Dixie a Nintendo All-Star, and what makes her The Last one? We all can answer it, but I'd like us to answer in our own words. In case the thread increases in popularity we'll get people who'll challenge the notion, as we have in the past; it's best if we sharpen our rhetoric every now and again, otherwise we lose track of our highlights and talking points. So everyone, what makes Dixie the Last Nintendo All-Star?

Handy Man

Smash Ace
This is perfect timing Handy Man Handy Man because I wanted to ask everyone this question:

What makes Dixie a Nintendo All-Star, and what makes her The Last one? We all can answer it, but I'd like us to answer in our own words. In case the thread increases in popularity we'll get people who'll challenge the notion, as we have in the past; it's best if we sharpen our rhetoric every now and again, otherwise we lose track of our highlights and talking points. So everyone, what makes Dixie the Last Nintendo All-Star?
Dixie Kong is one of the few protagonists from an existing series in Smash that actually isn’t playable in Smash. The fact that Donkey Kong Country 3 is her very own game, combined with the fact that she’s a co-star in DKC2, makes her very important in my opinion. With the Donkey Kong Country universe being new at the time, allowing Diddy and Dixie to have their very own games that early would cement them as mainstays in the future. Diddy certainly became a mainstay, but Dixie’s road has unfortunately been more bunpy.

To compare, other female Nintendo characters are already in Smash, or they never got a main character role. For example, Krystal wasn’t the main character in Star Fox Adventures, as you only play as her at the very start of the game, and you mostly play as Fox instead. Another example is Ashley from WarioWare. Despite being the most popular character in the WarioWare series, she is just one of Wario’s many friends in those games, being bundled with characters like Jimmy T. and 9-Volt. My point is that if other characters from series that are already in Smash had more focus on some of their female characters, they would be more likely due to their apparent significance, but they lack that star role that Dixie Kong was fortunate enough to have. I feel like Elma from Xenoblade X is the closest I can think of to another Nintendo female character having a starring role who isn’t in Smash.

As for other female reps, I notice a lot of them are third parties in general. Shantae, Chun-Li Reimu, KOS-MOS, 2B, and many others are all third parties. As a result, I feel like Dixie Kong is truly one of the last first-party female characters that could be added, as I feel like there are more third party choices for female fighters at this point. This makes her stand out even more as a “Nintendo All-Star”.

Lastly, what makes Dixie truly feel like the last “Nintendo All-Star” is just the fact she comes from the Donkey Kong franchise. Donkey Kong has always been one of Nintendo’s most iconic and important IPs. With the DK series having been around since the first Smash game on the N64, it absolutely deserves more than just three characters. It was always jarring that the DK series only had one or two characters until Ultimate. Dixie Kong is just simply more important than the remaining first-party female characters, and on top of her lead role in DKC3, she just feels long overdue overall. If newer Nintendo characters like Min-Min, Isabelle, and Pyra/Mythra can get into Smash, Dixie should’ve been in there long before them. It feels that deserved.

EDIT: I forgot to compare Dixie more to other “Nintendo All-Stars”. Basically, the only non-Smash characters I would put under that banner at this point are Dixie Kong, Bandana Waddle Dee, and Toad. Bandana Waddle Dee has proven to be an established Kirby character, and Toad is a Mario franchise mainstay. What gives Dixie Kong an edge over those two, in my opinion, is just the fact that she’s an important main protagonist from Nintendo’s history. Sure, Bandana Waddle Dee and Toad have helped out Kirby and Mario numerous times, but they never were large and in-charge in any of their appearances. The fact that Dixie Kong was a lead protagonist makes her place in the Nintendo universe cemented, and puts her above Bandana Waddle Dee and Toad in my opinion.

Last edited:

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace

Written essay... I like it. I shall return later with my input if I can think of a way of putting it that is not essentially the same as Handy Man Handy Man 's. I appreciate the challenge. By the way, Handy Man, it is a good and concise summary you gave. I may not need to write anything.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
She's certainly an All Star; whether or not she's the last one is a matter of opinion, but I'd say the former is definitely true. As far as why she deserves the title, there's a lot of elements adjacent to what Handy Man said. She was the second truly prominent playable female character after Samus (and non-stereotypical one at that), a main character of two of the greatest 2D platformers of all time, and possessing one of the straightforward, yet memorable character designs in Nintendo. Yet to me the thing that really speaks to why is a standout figure is a surprisingly simple one.

Dixie Kong has endured.

I am of the view that both Bandana Dee and Impa should be in Smash given their status. But the thing is both characters have benefited from getting appearances in various titles, especially in the last 10 years, with latter getting major roles in stuff like the Hyrule Warriors games, and the former always popping up in some fashion with Kirby titles. Basically they're a pair of characters that have gotten the chance to shine in their franchises due to their series' getting releases with some frequency.

Dixie has not had that luck. Donkey Kong spin-offs or related games have slowed down a great deal in the past 10 plus years, and Kongs outside DK and Diddy (sometimes not even him) have rarely gotten the spotlight in stuff like Mario Party or the sports games. Essentially her appearances in the last decade have been Tropical Freeze, its Switch port, and popping up in a mobile Mario Kart title. She's not been a character afforded the luxury of being highlighted to a lot of the Nintendo audience with anything resembling frequency.

But despite all that, people still want her in Smash and her legacy (even one limited to realistically three Country titles) has been maintained. Not just this thread on this forum, but numerous places. The same stubborn support for the likes of K Rool still exists in many ways for her, and one that overlaps beyond Smash. I mean as I mentioned Kaze and the Wild Masks might as well be a Dixie Kong spin-off title for how much the main character is inspired by her moveset and control. She still gets decent numbers during Smash polls despite having only really one game where she's been prominent in the last 25 years.

To me that's why she's earned that title. Despite the aughts era DK venturing into games where she was basically non-existent much of the time, followed by another decade where she wasn't lucky enough to show up in Nintendo titles like others, and a company that seemingly has had no interest in utilizing her outside DKC releases unless its a mobile gacha project, she's still liked, brought up, and talked about. Nintendo may not yet see it, but Dixie is a star that has yet to burn out.

Last edited:

PestilenceSSB

Smash Cadet
EDIT: I forgot to compare Dixie more to other “Nintendo All-Stars”. Basically, the only non-Smash characters I would put under that banner at this point are Dixie Kong, Bandana Waddle Dee, and Toad. Bandana Waddle Dee has proven to be an established Kirby character, and Toad is a Mario franchise mainstay. What gives Dixie Kong an edge over those two, in my opinion, is just the fact that she’s an important main protagonist from Nintendo’s history. Sure, Bandana Waddle Dee and Toad have helped out Kirby and Mario numerous times, but they never were large and in-charge in any of their appearances. The fact that Dixie Kong was a lead protagonist makes her place in the Nintendo universe cemented, and puts her above Bandana Waddle Dee and Toad in my opinion.
I can get behind that. I struggle to find any first-party characters as prominent as Dixie, Bandana Dee and Toad.

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
(First comes a somewhat lengthy paragraph on 'all-stardom.' Be warned.)

The way I see it, every all-star is the 'last all-star.' Why do I say this? Logically, it would have to be that being an all-star means something different for each character. I posit that every character has the potential to be the 'last all-star' in their own right, and that they only gain this status when the property (which we may call the 'glory' of that character) that makes them such is (1.) discovered, (2.) acknowledged, and (3.) well-communicated. First, Glory must be noticed, so if it is very subtle, a very few people, who may have the perception to notice, may not have equally high talent in acknowledging or communicating it. Therefore the first key to stardom is direct, obvious manifestation of glory, such that it does not take an especially keen observer to find it. Second, glory must be recognized for what it is. Merely noticing it does no good if the observer does not know what it means to them. Therefore, glory must be relatable to many people in order for those not exceptionally possessive of the gift of interpretation to translate the noticed glory into personal impact/impressions. Third, glory must be broadcasted. No matter how well you understand the importance of a character, if you lack the communicative ability to persuade (cause to discover as worded above) another of the glory of the subject character, then it will have a limited influence beyond the personal level. Therefore, glory must (as any other type of information) be conveyed skillfully by correct choice of medium. Let us condense and recap:

1. Glory must be very discoverable.
2. Glory must be very relatable.
3. Glory must be very intelligible.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Consider Dixie Kong: There is no sense that anything is hidden about her as a character. Everything needed to be witnessed is immediately obvious while playing the games she appears in. Contrast her with Wrinkly Kong. Wrinkly abruptly appears in a room for saving games in Donkey Kong Country II, and there is little to be witnessed of her outside of special rooms , so as of Diddy's Kong Quest, her glory has little discoverability. On the other hand, Dixie reveals much about herself in the first title she appears in (more on that comes shortly). Putting these to words falls in the realm of intelligibility.

Dixie Kong's glory is also very relatable. That she both wears pink, and stars in her own game was a beckoning to the newly arising audience, which grew from the 90's, and which has much more prominence today. In a modern world, this is very appealing to be beheld of a comparatively old game belonging to the famous Country series. The beret is a distinctive element of her clothing, further setting her apart as unique. She is energetic, as can be seen in how she plays the electric guitar at the end of each level in Diddy's Kong Quest and in her facial expressions. There could be no simpler way of conveying this idea about her than by devoting a brief condition of the game to watching her play-- clearly an effort toward display of her character. Furthermore, these outstanding elements invite the player to use their imagination, but not in such a way where it takes a significant investment of time to do so.

Finally, Dixie's glory was well-expressed. That she uniquely uses her ponytail to attack and do many other tasks, shifts from being a 'sidekick' to a main character, and has an atypical behavior and representation as a character that appeals to a select audience are all easily communicated in words, and not reliant on abstract descriptions of her existence within the franchise. Everything that may be said of her using abstract, subjective thoughts may with equal effort be spoken of using the concrete, objective, historically supported evidence provided by the immediate, on-screen portrayal she was given for the course of playing the game.

So Dixie's glory is highly discoverable, highly relatable, and highly intelligible, therefore she would, in my book, count for an all-star. The validity of saying the she is the 'last' may only be resolved after comparing her with other specific all-stars, as the above descriptions may not be applicable to them. That is, once she is established to be an all-star, every other must be measured in terms of the criteria used to label Dixie as such. If all others fail to equal or surpass her in any of these areas, Dixie would truly be the 'last all-star' with respect to herself.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Dixie Kong is one of the few protagonists from an existing series in Smash that actually isn’t playable in Smash. The fact that Donkey Kong Country 3 is her very own game, combined with the fact that she’s a co-star in DKC2, makes her very important in my opinion. With the Donkey Kong Country universe being new at the time, allowing Diddy and Dixie to have their very own games that early would cement them as mainstays in the future. Diddy certainly became a mainstay, but Dixie’s road has unfortunately been more bunpy.

To compare, other female Nintendo characters are already in Smash, or they never got a main character role. For example, Krystal wasn’t the main character in Star Fox Adventures, as you only play as her at the very start of the game, and you mostly play as Fox instead. Another example is Ashley from WarioWare. Despite being the most popular character in the WarioWare series, she is just one of Wario’s many friends in those games, being bundled with characters like Jimmy T. and 9-Volt. My point is that if other characters from series that are already in Smash had more focus on some of their female characters, they would be more likely due to their apparent significance, but they lack that star role that Dixie Kong was fortunate enough to have. I feel like Elma from Xenoblade X is the closest I can think of to another Nintendo female character having a starring role who isn’t in Smash.

As for other female reps, I notice a lot of them are third parties in general. Shantae, Chun-Li Reimu, KOS-MOS, 2B, and many others are all third parties. As a result, I feel like Dixie Kong is truly one of the last first-party female characters that could be added, as I feel like there are more third party choices for female fighters at this point. This makes her stand out even more as a “Nintendo All-Star”.

Lastly, what makes Dixie truly feel like the last “Nintendo All-Star” is just the fact she comes from the Donkey Kong franchise. Donkey Kong has always been one of Nintendo’s most iconic and important IPs. With the DK series having been around since the first Smash game on the N64, it absolutely deserves more than just three characters. It was always jarring that the DK series only had one or two characters until Ultimate. Dixie Kong is just simply more important than the remaining first-party female characters, and on top of her lead role in DKC3, she just feels long overdue overall. If newer Nintendo characters like Min-Min, Isabelle, and Pyra/Mythra can get into Smash, Dixie should’ve been in there long before them. It feels that deserved.

I would also put Pig Ganon up there with Dixie Kong, Toad and Bandana Dee as one of the last Nintendo All-Stars since he is the main antagonist of the Zelda series and has been in more games than Ganondorf. Technically, Ganondorf and Ganon are the same person. But if we can have 3 Links and 2 Zeldas, than we certainly can have 2 Ganons and we need a Ganon with a original moveset and Pig Ganon wpuld be perfect for the job. Pig Ganon is definitely a legacy Nintendo All-Star.

cybersai

Smash Ace
Dixie is more distinct though. Yes I'd love Ganon but he's still Ganondorf and Toad technically "fights" with Peach/Daisy now (and not just a shield like past games), even though I do think Captain Toad/Toadette are a shoe-in next time.

Dixie Kong is a completely unique character not tied to another character or an iteration of a character, that's why her absence is far more glaring at least to me. Besides the fact that Mario has nearly 10 characters and Zelda has 7 while Donkey Kong only has 3...

Last edited:

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
My take is that Toad should be the last All-Star, but because of his presence in Peach/Daisy's moveset, it feels like his fate has been decided. The developers made a decision about where Toad will fit into the game and this is it.

Meanwhile, they've done nothing with Dixie Kong outside of making her a trophy/sticker/spirit, which is something that's never held anyone back before. She's not a summonable character or even stage element, she has no presence in the core gameplay.

That's why I consider her the last All-Star; in my eyes, she's the most prolific character in Nintendo's arsenal to still have a question mark by her name.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Dixie Kong is really one of the only true solid Nintendo All Stars left, but those are generally well overlooked nowadays. A first party newcomer so far needs either huge fan demand, or a recent release date, or simply be from Mario, Pokemon or Fire Emblem. Those are safe bets. Retro old timers used to be a frequent theme, this game didn't really address them.

With Kirby and Zelda we can say the franchises didn't have a newcomer ever since they had their respective blow out of newcomers; Zelda with Melee, later getting Toon Link in Brawl, and Kirby had the same roster since 2 newcomers arrived in Brawl. K.Rool was a well requested newcomer beforehand from our franchise, it seems to me that a newcomer for Zelda and Kirby seems therefore more logical to be a next step than Dixie. Kirby and Zelda also have the luxury of getting new titles often, both had a new one this system, DKC had a port.

It's gonna be a rough ride without releases, is all am thinking. Am sure Dixie will be included in any new DKC game, K.Rool will probably be around too even, am more worried about whenever that is gonna be.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
The fact she was planned to be playable in Brawl and had leftovers in Brawl's inner unused datas is another factor in her favor compared to the likes of Toad and such.
And ironically that was during a time when she was absent from the DK series.

I wonder why they never continued that plan to add her, even as an echo.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So, for what it's worth, there's a neat sale going on right now: it's for games with Hair-Raising Heroes.
Besides the usual suspects like Shantae and :ultbayonetta:, they actually went to the trouble of having Dixie be the focus of the description for Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze.

And ironically that was during a time when she was absent from the DK series.

I wonder why they never continued that plan to add her, even as an echo.
Bad timing, basically. As far as I see, likelyhood of adding characters for some series seems to be affected by how healthy their source series is at the time.

Naturally, the DK series was in a strange and confusing time where the Japanese handlers just had no idea what to do with characters they never created or used much by themselves in the first place.
The fact that the ballot got :ultkrool: to be included suggests that it's the one thing that'll get them to steadily figure out what to do with the series and try to get it out of its dormancy beyond waiting for Retro Studios to continue handling new games.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Next Level Games buyout was done partially to get new developers working on DK games, in the event that Retro doesn't get around to it again.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
The fact that the ballot got :ultkrool: to be included suggests that it's the one thing that'll get them to steadily figure out what to do with the series and try to get it out of its dormancy beyond waiting for Retro Studios to continue handling new games.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Next Level Games buyout was done partially to get new developers working on DK games, in the event that Retro doesn't get around to it again.
That's some healthy food for thought to think about there since Nintendo has to have a reason for buying out Next Level Games. I could also see Nintendo lending them the Star Fox IP and having them develop the Star Fox games as well.

cybersai

Smash Ace
I guess we can also hope the next Smash isn't a semi-reboot or reduce the roster in any form, because if we go back to a 35-40 character roster again then Dixie will likely have no chance. They'd only go for the top major Nintendo characters and a few recent promotion characters and most secondary/third characters in each series besides a few would be dropped.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
If we get a roster that small again, then I may not want the next Smash unless my main happens to return. Regardless, most or a good chunk of the activism at that point will be about bringing back popular cut characters as DLC (Ultimate really is lightning in a bottle, lmao), making it harder for Dixie or anyone still remaining to be pushed for by a significant margin. A lose-lose.

Some cuts are to be expected of course, but I really hope the next Smash isn’t met with some super conservative roster that’s basically the equivalent of going from UMvC3 to MvCI. I would probably just stick with Ultimate then.

Was late on saying why Dixie’s the last Nintendo all star, but everyone already said everything I would’ve said and more, so yeah...

Handy Man

Smash Ace
If we get a roster that small again, then I may not want the next Smash unless my main happens to return. Regardless, most or a good chunk of the activism at that point will be about bringing back popular cut characters as DLC (Ultimate really is lightning in a bottle, lmao), making it harder for Dixie or anyone still remaining to be pushed for by a significant margin. A lose-lose.

Some cuts are to be expected of course, but I really hope the next Smash isn’t met with some super conservative roster that’s basically the equivalent of going from UMvC3 to MvCI. I would probably just stick with Ultimate then.

Was late on saying why Dixie’s the last Nintendo all star, but everyone already said everything I would’ve said and more, so yeah...
Prioritizing cut veterans over newcomers is actually a good point that a lot of people don’t really consider. Back in the Smash 4 days, a lot of the most requested characters were cut ones, like Mewtwo, Lucas, Roy, Wolf, Snake, and Ice Climbers. With Ultimate having over 80 characters by the end of DLC, people are bound to be sad when any cut happens. Today, if a character got cut, not only do they become missing in an ocean of characters, but they would also have to compete with any newcomers who also want in, out of 80+ total characters. Smash newcomers have gotten to a point where anyone getting in could be seen as an honor, as we are long past the days of obvious choices like Bowser and Zelda getting into Smash. Being cut in a roster this large is very unfortunate, and it would be much harder to stay in the roster with this many characters available.

This is why I feel like Ultimate was the best chance for Dixie Kong. I wanted King K. Rool more personally and am more happy that he got in, but Dixie really should have joined as well. As we’ve seen with the fighter passes, it’s really unpredictable who Nintendo and Sakurai choose next. With that said, if veterans were still on the table, you can bet that some fighter pass spots would’ve went to characters like Snake and Ice Climbers. At least Dixie Kong has more of a fighting chance, since all of the veterans are in the game already, but even so, it’s still difficult for her to join for whatever reason.

I guess my point is that some newcomers, like Joker and Terry, may have not been in Ultimate if they decided to return some veterans through DLC instead, taking “spots” in the process. The total amount of fighter pass spots could have also been different, who knows. But now that characters like Joker and Terry are in Ultimate, they are immortalized as veterans, along with every other character in the game. There’s just way too many veterans now than there were during Melee and Brawl, and a character getting cut today would lead to a huge outcry, larger than most outcries for newcomers today. We’re lucky that we’ve been getting all-new characters for fighter passes at all. Hopefully Dixie Kong can overcome all odds someday and nab her well-deserved spot on the roster.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Prioritizing cut veterans over newcomers is actually a good point that a lot of people don’t really consider. Back in the Smash 4 days, a lot of the most requested characters were cut ones, like Mewtwo, Lucas, Roy, Wolf, Snake, and Ice Climbers. With Ultimate having over 80 characters by the end of DLC, people are bound to be sad when any cut happens. Today, if a character got cut, not only do they become missing in an ocean of characters, but they would also have to compete with any newcomers who also want in, out of 80+ total characters. Smash newcomers have gotten to a point where anyone getting in could be seen as an honor, as we are long past the days of obvious choices like Bowser and Zelda getting into Smash. Being cut in a roster this large is very unfortunate, and it would be much harder to stay in the roster with this many characters available.

This is why I feel like Ultimate was the best chance for Dixie Kong. I wanted King K. Rool more personally and am more happy that he got in, but Dixie really should have joined as well. As we’ve seen with the fighter passes, it’s really unpredictable who Nintendo and Sakurai choose next. With that said, if veterans were still on the table, you can bet that some fighter pass spots would’ve went to characters like Snake and Ice Climbers. At least Dixie Kong has more of a fighting chance, since all of the veterans are in the game already, but even so, it’s still difficult for her to join for whatever reason.

I guess my point is that some newcomers, like Joker and Terry, may have not been in Ultimate if they decided to return some veterans through DLC instead, taking “spots” in the process. The total amount of fighter pass spots could have also been different, who knows. But now that characters like Joker and Terry are in Ultimate, they are immortalized as veterans, along with every other character in the game. There’s just way too many veterans now than there were during Melee and Brawl, and a character getting cut today would lead to a huge outcry, larger than most outcries for newcomers today. We’re lucky that we’ve been getting all-new characters for fighter passes at all. Hopefully Dixie Kong can overcome all odds someday and nab her well-deserved spot on the roster.
I’m usually more optimistic, so I can at least see those that took a lot of effort to get in on both the fans and devs’ behalf (K Rool, Ridley, and such) being back in whatever next Smash entries, or basically any unique 1st party that took a lot of effort to be included for that matter for the most part, though nothing is certain of course. Them remaining would be good too in the sense that Dixie wouldn’t have to compete with K Rool or someone again (in the event that he somehow got cut).

It also won’t be like Brawl where Nintendo didn’t know what DLC was yet, or like Smash 4 where it’s split between two versions, because the 3DS is the last of its kind, so no Ice Climbers and such being restricted again. Most of the cuts will probably be 3rd parties whose license expired, but whose to say.

Top Bottom