• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

Ed-boy

Smash Journeyman
It's a crazy, mixed up place, that battlefield...
I had a thought not too long ago. Should they use the Banana Bird Queen for Dixie's FS, why not repurpose Pit's old Brawl FS with banana birds (& maybe banana fairies) in place of centurions? Have em swarm the screen & fly into opponents, right before the queen herself drops an egg bomb.

It's a little more flashy than simply dropping an egg, & it wouldn't be a cutscene FS, which I'm to believe people are getting sick of lately. I like em just fine myself (unless I'm on the receiving end), but I see where they're coming from tho.

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Hey everyone, since they done did Diddy dirty through Dixie downgrading him in Tropical Freeze, I wanted to share an idea I had for improving him in a future DKC:

Since Diddy can only hover while airborne in Returns and Tropical Freeze, along with the fact that Dixie can do his job but better thanks to her Double Jump, why not give Diddy a weaker version of his underwater move while in the air? That's the gist of this concept: Diddy bursts forward to give himself or whoever he carries a boost of speed. By himself he's the speediest, able to KO enemies and break small objects like Barrels at best. With DK the trajectory is affected by gravity and so they curve downward a bit near the end; enemies, objects, barriers and walls that Diddy can't break on his own become destructible. They cover slightly less distance, but with Rambi, they cover the least distance and start with a downward arc. Using Rambi allows the Kong(s) to bulldoze even the heaviest barriers and give the rhinoceros a brief boost in speed every time they activate the Rocket Rush. With Dixie covering vertical movement, as well as horizontal if you use her twirl cleverly, Diddy's remaining path to staying useful is to blast forward.

And there we have it. Hope everyone likes the idea. I'm trying to improve my presentation so I grouped all 3 drawings into this one image. If anyone wants the transparent drawings individually, Here they are:
I'll get back to moveset ideas for Dixie soon; I might throw in DKC ideas for other Kongs occasionally as well. Hope everyone likes the idea, and feel free to post this on twitter when the time is right. Thanks!

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Hey everyone, since they done did Diddy dirty through Dixie downgrading him in Tropical Freeze, I wanted to share an idea I had for improving him in a future DKC:

Since Diddy can only hover while airborne in Returns and Tropical Freeze, along with the fact that Dixie can do his job but better thanks to her Double Jump, why not give Diddy a weaker version of his underwater move while in the air? That's the gist of this concept: Diddy bursts forward to give himself or whoever he carries a boost of speed. By himself he's the speediest, able to KO enemies and break small objects like Barrels at best. With DK the trajectory is affected by gravity and so they curve downward a bit near the end; enemies, objects, barriers and walls that Diddy can't break on his own become destructible. They cover slightly less distance, but with Rambi, they cover the least distance and start with a downward arc. Using Rambi allows the Kong(s) to bulldoze even the heaviest barriers and give the rhinoceros a brief boost in speed every time they activate the Rocket Rush. With Dixie covering vertical movement, as well as horizontal if you use her twirl cleverly, Diddy's remaining path to staying useful is to blast forward.

And there we have it. Hope everyone likes the idea. I'm trying to improve my presentation so I grouped all 3 drawings into this one image. If anyone wants the transparent drawings individually, Here they are:
I'll get back to moveset ideas for Dixie soon; I might throw in DKC ideas for other Kongs occasionally as well. Hope everyone likes the idea, and feel free to post this on twitter when the time is right. Thanks!
I'd love to see this in a DKCR 3!

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
That's a fantastic direction for Diddy. Gives him a clear distinction and builds on his strengths in the first two DKC games as well.

While Cranky did make for a solid addition to Tropical Freeze, him being the speedy character via the cane always felt a little off. I guess in terms of areas of emphais it always felt like it should be this:

Donkey Kong - Power
He lacks the speed or jumping elements of his counterparts, but hits harder than anyone to make up for it & could have an area of effect when landing.

Diddy Kong - Speed
Essentially the risk/reward character. Diddy is remarkably fast, but you have to be careful in the air and on tight platforms to make use of him.

Dixie Kong - Control
Best jump by a mile at the expense of strength and quick movement. She also has the largest range of attack underwater to boot.

Cranky Kong (or others) - Gimmick
A bit more tricky to define, but elements like bouncing off spikes or deflecting projectiles could really differentiate him from the others.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
There's a game coming out next Friday for Switch that appears to be a love letter to the DKC series in many ways:

Stuff like this is why indies really have become the backbone of the console for me more consistently than first party games a lot of the time. In an era where the only Country title was a Wii U Port, Paper Mario has shifted into an action adventure title, and Metroid can't even get a release, its been nice to have games like Impossible Lair, Bug Fables, and various Metroidvanias to really deliver the kind of experiences I've wanted. Nothing can replace getting a brand new DKC game, but stuff like Kaze & the Wild Masks has made waiting for the former much easier than previous eras have been.

SeashoreWar

Smash Journeyman
Great idea for Diddy BirthNote BirthNote !
There's a game coming out next Friday for Switch that appears to be a love letter to the DKC series in many ways:

Stuff like this is why indies really have become the backbone of the console for me more consistently than first party games a lot of the time. In an era where the only Country title was a Wii U Port, Paper Mario has shifted into an action adventure title, and Metroid can't even get a release, its been nice to have games like Impossible Lair, Bug Fables, and various Metroidvanias to really deliver the kind of experiences I've wanted. Nothing can replace getting a brand new DKC game, but stuff like Kaze & the Wild Masks has made waiting for the former much easier than previous eras have been.
Oh wow! First time hearing about this game. I'm definitely gonna have to check it out!

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Hey everyone, today's the 4 year anniversary of this thread! It didn't seem that long ago when I started it tbh; feels like 2 years. Anyway, so I made a post about the thread's direction not too long ago, and based on everyone's feedback, yeah we're all in agreement about Dixie's chances lol. Everyone seems to have said what they're going to say, and with Isaac's thread being active since I last made that post (I must've jinxed it lol) we're the 3rd most discussed/active thread in this subforum. Fine by me!

So, until we get major news, this thread's gonna keep doing what its doing. I hope everyone has been enjoying the 4 year ride whether you got on at the beginning or even recently. Thank you to everyone who's commented on this thread!

OK so we're coming up on this thread's 4th anniversary and it's time we do some introspection. How much would y'all say this community has grown throughout the years, and does anyone have any Comments, Complaints, Compliments and/or Critiques about our sect of the fandom?

With no new DK game in sight there's little incoming hype; this coupled with Ultimate naturally dying down in its DLC cycle, plus the unpredictability of choices makes Dixie a long shot. Luckily we're getting steady Life Support from Nintendo with Mario Kart and VC updates but that's not as in-your-face as say a new game. Our fanbase has grown slowly but we haven't suffered the major blows that other bases have, and when it comes to this subforum we're now the 2nd most active Newcomer Speculation thread.

We seem pretty insulated from the usual pitfalls. We don't die out from inactivity and we don't succumb to hype overload like the larger formerly active threads. In a game of endurance we're holding strong, but we're not anywhere near surpassing the activity that some of the larger threads once had, before they were locked. Since Ultimate will be complete in 2022 by Sakurai's estimates, this entire subforum faces extinction a little while after the 6th character gets confirmed, and we're already halfway there. That means this thread will face its end, and the most we'll have regarding fan support will come from the excellent Twitter page.

In regards to Dixie herself, she's been very easily overlooked by the broader fanbase. She's a "sure why not" to many but those outside of the DKC fandom treat her as an Easy Echo when being positive and viewed as a minor character from a D-Tier franchise when being negative. Obviously Dixie's far from minor and DK is far from D-Tier, but a detractor's job is to downplay and dismiss as much as possible. It goes without saying I'm certain you can make a viable moveset out of anything, and Dixie's got more than enough to be unique. Problem I'm seeing is that there's little enthusiasm for her, even though she has a lot of people who'd be A-OK with her making the cut.

So, what do we do about it? We bring our enthusiasm with us to other sites. Even when her detractors start taking shots we don't take it personally, but have good counters ready for when they pop up. I gurantee you that if Mario never was in Smash before, and was a potential newcomer to be speculated on right now, there'd be dozens of people against his inclusion because reasons. "What's he gonna do? 'Jump on people'?! Hah!" No character is detractor-free, so remember that when advocating.

Other than that we can keep up the fan support like we are now. I'm not done with moveset ideas--I doodled up about 25 more ideas and I just need to put them in digitally--and Seashore isn't done with his stuff either. The twitter page is a fun corner as well and this thread is lively with topics that we don't seem to be replicating on other threads (correct me if I'm wrong).

So basically this is an open dialogue and everyone is free to put in their perspectives.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Something I think that's helped the thread and general discussion around Dixie remain pretty calm and respectful is her interesting status as a potential Smash character. She doesn't feel so obscure or unlikely that fans could/would feel the need to compensate in their enthusiasm and theories about her getting in, yet nor has she felt so likely during post release speculation that the community has been hurt badly by her not showing up. Its a fandom that's appropriately hyped about her while still being realistic about her chances.

Moreover even within the context of hope about first party characters, there hasn't felt like there's been much toxic competition between her and others. We may be a little disappointed that is a Pyra/Mythra getting the nod over Dixie, yet we are happy for fans of the former and I've rarely ever seen a hint of bitterness about them, Min Min, or Byleth taking the DKC character's place in Ultimate. In a scene that's rife with a mentality that Smash inclusion is a zero sum game, I'm glad to see this thread has largely steered clear of that.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

This is insanely creative and fitting! And such a simple yet effective buff for Diddy in the Retro styled DKC games. I wish they could incorporate these changes! That would truly establish Diddy as the "professional pick" between the Kongs, like he always used to in the original SNES DKC games.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Someone made a Kiddy Kong mod in Pokemon.....

Justin Little

Smash Ace
Kiddy "He says trans rights" Kong is a true gem. :love:

I was thinking about something like this that could give people an incentive to play as Diddy. As a huge Diddy fan, it wrecks my heart how dirty Tropical Freeze did my boy. Here's hoping they actually incorporate his speed for the next games.

I've had my eye on this since it was announced, and I'm glad to see it do well critically. We don't get a lot of DKC inspired games, and with the DKC drought we're experiencing (and possibly will continue if Nintendo are indeed working on a spin-off instead), games like this and Impossible Lair are definitely helping fill up the void.

I see one of the Youtube comments referring to Playtonic as hack frauds, smdh. How can anybody continue spouting this BS is beyond me.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I'll check out Kaze someday soon.
Something I think that's helped the thread and general discussion around Dixie remain pretty calm and respectful is her interesting status as a potential Smash character. She doesn't feel so obscure or unlikely that fans could/would feel the need to compensate in their enthusiasm and theories about her getting in, yet nor has she felt so likely during post release speculation that the community has been hurt badly by her not showing up. Its a fandom that's appropriately hyped about her while still being realistic about her chances.

Moreover even within the context of hope about first party characters, there hasn't felt like there's been much toxic competition between her and others. We may be a little disappointed that is a Pyra/Mythra getting the nod over Dixie, yet we are happy for fans of the former and I've rarely ever seen a hint of bitterness about them, Min Min, or Byleth taking the DKC character's place in Ultimate. In a scene that's rife with a mentality that Smash inclusion is a zero sum game, I'm glad to see this thread has largely steered clear of that.
True, there's been a healthy dynamic with this thread and others; no flame wars and at the very least, politely formal vibes. I know on other sites Smash Speculation is toxic, with people trying as hard as they can to disqualify a character to make their choice shine. It's like the Confirmation Envelope is a Smash Ball, and everyone's trying to knock out the competition to grab it.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
A thought just occurred to me, in the DKC2 retrospective the developers said they'd make brand new Kongs if they were still in charge. That makes me wonder, what kinds of Kongs would we have seen? Going by Dixie, Tiny and Lanky, even Chunky to extent, we'd be seeing Kongs with what's basically superpowers going forward. They'd have to start differentiating between the new and old, so I guess they'd have a blank canvas to be very creative. There'd be Kongs more tech-oriented than Diddy. Just food for thought.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
A thought just occurred to me, in the DKC2 retrospective the developers said they'd make brand new Kongs if they were still in charge. That makes me wonder, what kinds of Kongs would we have seen? Going by Dixie, Tiny and Lanky, even Chunky to extent, we'd be seeing Kongs with what's basically superpowers going forward. They'd have to start differentiating between the new and old, so I guess they'd have a blank canvas to be very creative. There'd be Kongs more tech-oriented than Diddy. Just food for thought.
I could imagine Rare making Kongs that were based of different cultures, genres, ect. There is so much more Rare could have worked with if they were still in the driver's seat. It's a shame they were boughtout by Microsoft so early on.

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
We have flight, weapons, and plenty of brawn, but speed and 'brains' are missing if we want a typical cast. Personally, I would rather, if Rare were not property of Microsoft, that they develop characters they already have and did not pay as much attention to. Anyone who listened to me long enough knows I want Swanky to come back 'larger;' and Candy, Lanky, Chunky, Tiny, and even Kiddy and that tutorial pig could use some work to make them more important to the franchise, less 'stitched in,' and/or more behaviorally identifiable.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I could imagine Rare making Kongs that were based of different cultures, genres, ect. There is so much more Rare could have worked with if they were still in the driver's seat. It's a shame they were boughtout by Microsoft so early on.
Definitely. The closest we have to other cultures and genres are the Jungle Beat Kongs, but they've only shown up once. I'll even take them in spinoffs, like Seashore's Diddy Kong Racing. More brand new Kongs from other genres would be excellent.
I think a wizard/witch Kong (Alakongzam? might have been an eventuality. If they were playable I could see scenario where such a character would create their own platforms or transform enemies to turn them into temporary animal buddies or barrels.
RIP Squitter. LOL, but on a serious note this could be fun, very fun TBH. I wonder what their magical element would be; banana-based, Nature based like Diddy's Jungle Tech, something like Fire, Air, Water, Earth, or something out of left field?
We have flight, weapons, and plenty of brawn, but speed and 'brains' are missing if we want a typical cast. Personally, I would rather, if Rare were not property of Microsoft, that they develop characters they already have and did not pay as much attention to. Anyone who listened to me long enough knows I want Swanky to come back 'larger;' and Candy, Lanky, Chunky, Tiny, and even Kiddy and that tutorial pig could use some work to make them more important to the franchise, less 'stitched in,' and/or more behaviorally identifiable.
Lanky is my 1st choice, but honestly I'd love to see how they'd tackle Wrinkly. Her ghostly powers could make some really fun ideas. Candy could use a...let's say redemption arc, so I'd be interested in them expanding her musical flair from DK64. Swanky to me is a blank slate, which is good since he can be taken in any direction. I'd be fine with seeing how any of tgese characters play, even Professor Chops lol.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
While it’s interesting to think of what could’ve been like with other Kongs we didn’t see, I think most can agree it was for the best that they went back to basics with DK himself. The main thing I would want too is just having the other established Kongs given more utility, which leaves most of the concern for the animal buddies and what ones we’ll ever see again if lucky.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
While it’s interesting to think of what could’ve been like with other Kongs we didn’t see, I think most can agree it was for the best that they went back to basics with DK himself. The main thing I would want too is just having the other established Kongs given more utility, which leaves most of the concern for the animal buddies and what ones we’ll ever see again if lucky.
Was it truly for the best to go back to basics with DK, if DK is still the most basic of basic characters in DKC? I mean, even in the original DKC he had more utility with his strength, able to kill heavier enemies was a boon at times.

If they truly wanna go back to basics, they should've given Donkey Kong some advantages of being picked. There simply aren't any.

Which is why I wouldn't object to a more 3D environment, cause there's more to do with DK himself in it than with simple platforming, where speed and jumping powers are almost always preferred over strength.

I mean, least they could do is give DK more durability. But that already is sort of present when you pair up the Kongs, as DK is always the last Kong standing.

Sure it's probably better done than in the Rare games, but playing DK in his home series has always been a liability over the better choices.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Was it truly for the best to go back to basics with DK, if DK is still the most basic of basic characters in DKC? I mean, even in the original DKC he had more utility with his strength, able to kill heavier enemies was a boon at times.

If they truly wanna go back to basics, they should've given Donkey Kong some advantages of being picked. There simply aren't any.

Which is why I wouldn't object to a more 3D environment, cause there's more to do with DK himself in it than with simple platforming, where speed and jumping powers are almost always preferred over strength.

I mean, least they could do is give DK more durability. But that already is sort of present when you pair up the Kongs, as DK is always the last Kong standing.

Sure it's probably better done than in the Rare games, but playing DK in his home series has always been a liability over the better choices.
That's why I think stuff like an area of a effect with his jumps or a slower but more powerful roll attack as an option with DK would be a nice change of pace. You'd have to pick your spots carefully, but being able to finish off a boss more quickly with those attacks would be a nice differentiation for him against the likes of Dixie and Diddy.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
That's why I think stuff like an area of a effect with his jumps or a slower but more powerful roll attack as an option with DK would be a nice change of pace. You'd have to pick your spots carefully, but being able to finish off a boss more quickly with those attacks would be a nice differentiation for him against the likes of Dixie and Diddy.
I literally think his Giant Punch from Smash would fit nicely into the platform games. Charge it up, and deal double the damage a regular jump would, and kill enemies you couldn't with a roll or a jump. Or break walls like only a barrel or Rambi could. It could also have a secondary effect of making the Hand Clap stronger and have a bigger range of effect. And of course, it's ideal to take down bosses. That and give him a extra heart. Should probably fix him, but still not make him better than Diddy and Dixie lol

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

Justin Little

Smash Ace
So... I'm like hiccup really drunk. I... I was thinkin. Wha if we burp like... write a ledder to ntendo. Y'now when they nounce new Deekay... And we hiccup thank them like we did K.cool. They have no choice love us. Zzzffzzzzzzzzzzz....

Dipsy Kun for Smosh!

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace

If Dixie has to reuse one or two of :4diddy:'s former Custom Moves, which would you pick?
(I do not have the bandwidth to view videos liberally.)

I am not that familiar with custom moves to begin with, but I am in favor of keeping Dixie's moveset as separate from Diddy's (or any other character's) as possible, excepting those places where a more suitable, original attack could not be derived. For example, she might borrow his back aerial attack. Though it is not impossible for her to have a completely unique kit, and I would lean more this way.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Diddy's Specials are a bit different than expected, I always expected a dual peanut popgun for example, but Up B is more or less what was expected. It's also a real good surprise KO gimmick , but very risky. Monkey Flip is a very cool and well thought off move which was totally made up with creative liberty. Down B? I think it's probably a quick idea that came up with the Brawl development team needing a quick fix for not having Dixie involved in Diddy's move set by swapping. The banana already was a new item in Brawl, a bit lazy but it works cause of stereotypes I guess.

Honestly I just take it all because the moveset is functional, even if I personally too would've wanted more DK64 moves as Simian Slam, the tail attacks, and don't know what else. Doubt it would be as effective now, even if a tail sweep would make for a cool jab combo finisher, or aerial move. I wouldn't touch his specials anymore just because they're very effective and am used to the playstyle.

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
Diddy's Specials are a bit different than expected, I always expected a dual peanut popgun for example, but Up B is more or less what was expected. It's also a real good surprise KO gimmick , but very risky. Monkey Flip is a very cool and well thought off move which was totally made up with creative liberty. Down B? I think it's probably a quick idea that came up with the Brawl development team needing a quick fix for not having Dixie involved in Diddy's move set by swapping. The banana already was a new item in Brawl, a bit lazy but it works cause of stereotypes I guess.

Honestly I just take it all because the moveset is functional, even if I personally too would've wanted more DK64 moves as Simian Slam, the tail attacks, and don't know what else. Doubt it would be as effective now, even if a tail sweep would make for a cool jab combo finisher, or aerial move. I wouldn't touch his specials anymore just because they're very effective and am used to the playstyle.
I could not have said it better. I believe character beats canon in any moveset.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
If Dixie ever has to be a :ultdiddy: derivative, I could see her being :ultdiddy:'s :ultfalco:: slower on the ground but nimbler in the air.
Falco is a good base, but I think Ness / Lucas is a good example, especially since they differ so much in their normals and aerials, and Lucas having a total different grab. But statistically, I could see Diddy and Dixie being most similar to Young Link and Toon Link, Diddy being more similar to the speedy Young Link, and Dixie more to the floaty Toon Link.

Top Bottom