• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord

Justin Little

Smash Ace
It's even more depressing we might not see a new Country title for more than a decade if Nintendo is indeed working on a DK spin-off. At least back then we had a trilogy to close it all off. Retro gave up with act 2 and probably will never return, at least not until after MP4 which is still years away. And it's not a guarantee they'll jump back.

It's strange to say I have more faith in Nintendo making a new Country game than I do Retro which is wild to even think about. Never in a million years would I suggest Nintendo themselves picking up the mantle of this franchise after all it's been through after RARE left, but it seems this is where the future might be heading towards if the rumors are to be believed.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
While Retro’s produced some unrivaled quality content with their games, I don’t find them reliable enough to consider a “home” for either series they’ve worked on. Not with their release record, so I’d think DK with EPD would be for the best if it ends up being the case. Even if MP4 is some kind of success, I question how long it’d be until they move on from Metroid again. Happy anniversary to Tropical Freeze, that said.

Was just looking to see if Dixie had any Smash mods, and coming across the Smash for Wii U skin mod she got with Diddy of course as the template, surprisingly using her sound effects too, reminded me again how easy she would be to add... Whenever Ultimate modding takes off more, I’d take an improved mod of her in Ult if nothing else; one that actually uses her hair and stuff, even if it expectedly retains some assets of Diddy.

Still weird to me how Smash 64 and more recently Melee got a modding scene, though better late than never. ... Just realized how possible it would be to mod Diddy in Smash 64. That’d be dope.

Last edited:

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
Speaking of tag-teams, what if the Smash team brought back that idea in the form of a Dixie-Kiddy team? I wonder how you guys and other people would feel about this; personally, I think it'd be a great idea that reflects the gameplay style of the original DKC trilogy, despite people having a distate for Kiddy.
I dunno about this. There's probably enough material in the Country games to make complete individual movesets for Dixie and Kiddy. A Dixie/Kiddy tag team is better than nothing, but I don't think that's what any Dixie fan really wants. (See also: Dixie as an echo of Diddy.)

Justin Little

Smash Ace
I'm still glad Diddy was his own character. I know if the tag team mechanic worked like Pokemon Trainer, we would've had him and Dixie separately later on which would be great. But Diddy is very much important by himself, as is Dixie. Having starred in their own games separate from one another, they deserve to be represented as themselves just like the other icons in the game. It's kinda why I'm not really for Dixie/Kiddy. Like LiveStudioAudience said, it would benefit him more than her.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Diddy-Dixie probably would have been the best tag-team option, but that ship's surely sailed.

As much as I would rather Dixie Kong be her own character, I can't deny that a tag team has a lot of really cool moveset potential, with plenty of stuff you can lift directly from DKC3.
Honestly, I still could see Diddy and Dixie as a tag team work and happening. But that would have to be in a next Smash where there's a huge reboot of the roster.

As a dedicated Diddy main, I wouldn't even object this too much. How would you all feel about this?

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I'm still glad Diddy was his own character. I know if the tag team mechanic worked like Pokemon Trainer, we would've had him and Dixie separately later on which would be great. But Diddy is very much important by himself, as is Dixie. Having starred in their own games separate from one another, they deserve to be represented as themselves just like the other icons in the game. It's kinda why I'm not really for Dixie/Kiddy. Like LiveStudioAudience said, it would benefit him more than her.
Yeah, I’d be kinda bittersweet about it like I am between Pokemon Trainer and Charizard, in which I kinda miss solo Zard now, and the Diddy and Dixie separation would’ve only been temporary like with that example. Would take it over nothing though for her. As a tag team Diddy and Dixie would lose only what, a down B move?

Late to comment on the ballot topic, but still surprised it actually had a part in Ridley being reconsidered and included. While he obviously didn’t get as much votes as K Rool or someone, I guess it had to have been enough to sway them for Sakurai to say he got in because of it in part. I know it made sense to doubt Ridley getting that much ballot support at the time with his stage hazard situation and everything, but after the narrative from former supporters and people that he was done, should just accept and move on, that anyone who voted for him "wasted their vote" because it wasn't gonna changing anything, etc, part of me just still can't believe that Rid would end up getting the last laugh there. It was a fight and division between fans like none other, and whenever I dared to be optimistic about his performance on the ballot amongst others, thinking "Hey, maybe he got more votes than we know", I was shot down by the jaded groupthink every time.

Ironic now, since you know, the vocal people that had then given up on Ridley like on this site and stuff didn't make up the majority of fans/voters like they so led people to believe. Of course, many of those people were already long gone from forums by the time Ultimate came around, and while I don't hold it against them, would've been nice to see a "Glad I was wrong" post from mostly everyone I remember from that era. Still, Ridley got in, so best let bygones be bygones, but I'll never forget how oppressive that era was for anyone who still supported him. Anyone who was in the heat of it there I know will never take him in Ultimate for granted at least.

And yeah, K Rool's support never really halted like that even with the Mii costume, which reminder was revealed and came out after the ballot was concluded. Still, it was an ugly time for him to have only had the costume before we knew it was a "sneak peek" of what would come for him in the next Smash, and after Ridley he was my "last hope" for SSB4. Like me still trying to be optimistic for Rid too, I remember anyone that dared question or think that maybe there was more to it for K Rool than what we were seeing then was labeled as some ungrateful conspiracy theorist, who were similarly silenced into submission. At any rate, I still got Bayonetta and some of the then DLC characters, but it just ended on a whimper for me after losing what could've been. Even Mewtwo being back didn't fully fill the hole that I was left with.

On Dark Samus, I had seen some on like resetera try to push the narrative that she was super popular during the ballot and that she got more votes than Ridley because his entire fanbase "moved on" after SSB4. Not only was there no evidence to support this (I literally never saw her mentioned during the ballot era, and only ever came up once the concept of Echo Fighters was made public knowledge), but Dark Samus was also stuck in NPC purgatory, so why would Metroid fans bandwagon from one deconfirmed character to another? If she got that much support, she would've been more than the echo she became. Just seemed like a shallow attempt to discredit Ridley's perseverance.

That said, Dixie had to have gotten more votes than her, especially with all the infighting there unfortunately was between Dixie and K Rool supporters at the time. Only reason we didn't see that kind of fighting between Ridley and Dark Samus was because she was canonically dead and expected to never appear again. With the recency/relevancy narrative that really took off in speculation by the time of SSB4 too, you never saw her mentioned period, so that helped for Ridley. In any case, the reminder of Dixie and the ballot does actually make me feel better about her in the long run. It's easy to see her being saved as a leftover addition for the future in that context. Even with her votes, I guess they felt that an echo like Dark Samus or semi-clone like Isabelle wouldn't of done her justice, or maybe couldn't decide how to best approach her with the time they had left on base game Ultimate, so they put her in the backburner...

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yeah, I’d be kinda bittersweet about it like I am between Pokemon Trainer and Charizard, in which I kinda miss solo Zard now, and the Diddy and Dixie separation would’ve only been temporary like with that example. Would take it over nothing though for her. As a tag team Diddy and Dixie would lose only what, a down B move?

Late to comment on the ballot topic, but still surprised it actually had a part in Ridley being reconsidered and included. While he obviously didn’t get as much votes as K Rool or someone, I guess it had to have been enough to sway them for Sakurai to say he got in because of it in part. I know it made sense to doubt Ridley getting that much ballot support at the time with his stage hazard situation and everything, but after the narrative from former supporters and people that he was done, should just accept and move on, that anyone who voted for him "wasted their vote" because it wasn't gonna changing anything, etc, part of me just still can't believe that Rid would end up getting the last laugh there. It was a fight and division between fans like none other, and whenever I dared to be optimistic about his performance on the ballot amongst others, thinking "Hey, maybe he got more votes than we know", I was shot down by the jaded groupthink every time.

Ironic now, since you know, the vocal people that had then given up on Ridley like on this site and stuff didn't make up the majority of fans/voters like they so led people to believe. Of course, many of those people were already long gone from forums by the time Ultimate came around, and while I don't hold it against them, would've been nice to see a "Glad I was wrong" post from mostly everyone I remember from that era. Still, Ridley got in, so best let bygones be bygones, but I'll never forget how oppressive that era was for anyone who still supported him. Anyone who was in the heat of it there I know will never take him in Ultimate for granted at least.

And yeah, K Rool's support never really halted like that even with the Mii costume, which reminder was revealed and came out after the ballot was concluded. Still, it was an ugly time for him to have only had the costume before we knew it was a "sneak peek" of what would come for him in the next Smash, and after Ridley he was my "last hope" for SSB4. Like me still trying to be optimistic for Rid too, I remember anyone that dared question or think that maybe there was more to it for K Rool than what we were seeing then was labeled as some ungrateful conspiracy theorist, who were similarly silenced into submission. At any rate, I still got Bayonetta and some of the then DLC characters, but it just ended on a whimper for me after losing what could've been. Even Mewtwo being back didn't fully fill the hole that I was left with.

On Dark Samus, I had seen some on like resetera try to push the narrative that she was super popular during the ballot and that she got more votes than Ridley because his entire fanbase "moved on" after SSB4. Not only was there no evidence to support this (I literally never saw her mentioned during the ballot era, and only ever came up once the concept of Echo Fighters was made public knowledge), but Dark Samus was also stuck in NPC purgatory, so why would Metroid fans bandwagon from one deconfirmed character to another? If she got that much support, she would've been more than the echo she became. Just seemed like a shallow attempt to discredit Ridley's perseverance.

That said, Dixie had to have gotten more votes than her, especially with all the infighting there unfortunately was between Dixie and K Rool supporters at the time. Only reason we didn't see that kind of fighting between Ridley and Dark Samus was because she was canonically dead and expected to never appear again. With the recency/relevancy narrative that really took off in speculation by the time of SSB4 too, you never saw her mentioned period, so that helped for Ridley. In any case, the reminder of Dixie and the ballot does actually make me feel better about her in the long run. It's easy to see her being saved as a leftover addition for the future in that context. Even with her votes, I guess they felt that an echo like Dark Samus or semi-clone like Isabelle wouldn't of done her justice, or maybe couldn't decide how to best approach her with the time they had left on base game Ultimate, so they put her in the backburner...
Posts like this really make me look back. I remember your adamant support to Ridley well. I myself was one of the doubters, but, was quite happy to see Ridley make it in the end. Ridley's reveal was a confirmation to me that Sakurai listens. I am not really all too keen on how Ridley ended up, I think he could've been a bit more monstrous, and ironically I think he's now too small (and thus too light). I mean, DK is now the biggest character in Smash. And that just feels weird.

Anyway, am glad that Metroid got the attention it did. It is now a well represented franchise. Right now I feel DKC, Zelda and Kirby need their new character just as much as Metroid did. I mean, K.Rool is great and all, but he's such a late addition. If it wasn't for Diddy being so late, I think K.Rool would've made it in either Brawl or Smash 4. And Dixie as well.

Wasn't Dark Samus also more popular because she got a Assist Trophy in Smash 4? And because Samus also had a costume based off Dark Samus in Smash 4? I think this could've influenced the Echo choices too. Daisy was already a costume of Peach since Melee, Dark Samus had her model and costume already in Smash 4, and Chrom had a full workable model as well, and was supposed to be a sort of mix between Marth and Ike, which is basically what Roy ended up being when he got back as DLC. I think the Echo choices make more sense now...

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Posts like this really make me look back. I remember your adamant support to Ridley well. I myself was one of the doubters, but, was quite happy to see Ridley make it in the end. Ridley's reveal was a confirmation to me that Sakurai listens. I am not really all too keen on how Ridley ended up, I think he could've been a bit more monstrous, and ironically I think he's now too small (and thus too light). I mean, DK is now the biggest character in Smash. And that just feels weird.

Anyway, am glad that Metroid got the attention it did. It is now a well represented franchise. Right now I feel DKC, Zelda and Kirby need their new character just as much as Metroid did. I mean, K.Rool is great and all, but he's such a late addition. If it wasn't for Diddy being so late, I think K.Rool would've made it in either Brawl or Smash 4. And Dixie as well.

Wasn't Dark Samus also more popular because she got a Assist Trophy in Smash 4? And because Samus also had a costume based off Dark Samus in Smash 4? I think this could've influenced the Echo choices too. Daisy was already a costume of Peach since Melee, Dark Samus had her model and costume already in Smash 4, and Chrom had a full workable model as well, and was supposed to be a sort of mix between Marth and Ike, which is basically what Roy ended up being when he got back as DLC. I think the Echo choices make more sense now...
Aww... Oh yeah, I remember you being one of the doubters, but it's cool. All's well that ends well right? I don't recall every little detail, but I believe we kinda trolled each other between Ridley and Anthony Higgs stuff at the time. I definitely know lot of us were less mature back then though, so I apologize if I was one of the people that gave ya a hard time for liking him, haha. Even now still, people that didn't like Other M generally wouldn't be opposed to seeing him again in another game, so y'know. Back to Smash though, it didn't occur to me about DK being the biggest now, but that is kinda weird. Didn't Bowser used to be the biggest before? Well, he has frame data now that makes every other heavy jealous regardless... On the weight stuff, while Ridley could definitely be heavier, wouldn't say it's as much a problem for him as it is for Mewtwo or someone, but even with Mewtwo, DI can do so much for surviving at high percents. Maybe it's just me but weight (at least now in Ultimate) doesn't seem to matter much unless it's on the extreme lower or higher end.

With Kirby I've mostly only played the Dream Land games, but recognize Bandana Dee as one of the last Nintendo essentials along with Dixie. While I've never been much a player of the Zelda series, I do wish you and people the best on Impa or anyone else of note that ought to be in, with how overdue Smash has been for another Zelda character. Still kinda weird to think at times now that Metroid got a couple more characters before another Zelda character, or that we got Ridley before Ganondorf became viable. I mean, the gap between the worst in the meta isn't nearly as bad now as it was before, but geez Ganondorf could still use help to be better somehow. He just improves with baby steps from game to game, even with having the sword now.

I actually forgot about the Dark Samus alt that Samus had in SSB4. There was the assist trophy too, but perhaps like with myself, some of the support for Dark Samus came from being annoyed that we had Dark Pit as a separate character but not her. At that point people were glad to take an echo over nothing, because why would you have Pit's doppelganger in the roster but not Samus's?

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Ultimate in general is an interesting double edged sword. On one hand its a game so clearly a product of listening to fan's wishes and delivering the collective Smash experience, especially with characters. On the other its so high profile and significant as a crossover title with third parties that getting the proverbial 4th character from series (Impa, Bandana Dee, Dixie) is not a high priority in the way it might have been if the game's fighter focus was closer in the Melee/Brawl mentality. It makes one wonder if fans had known just how Ultimate would end up if there would have been a bigger push for such characters during the ballot.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I can not wait any longer for the Donkey Kong attractions at the Universal Studios. I've been waiting for them for years!
Just the thought of that is surreal to me. I'm dying to see them open up that Nintendo theme park along with the Donkey Kong attractions at Universal Studios.

Justin Little

Smash Ace

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Honestly I'm a bit torn about the Nintendo World park. While I do like that DK being so adjacent to the main franchise means it'll likely get a showcase, the excess Mario focus for the park is a bit disappointing. I know that Earthbound or Punch Out themed sections aren't necessarily going to be a big appeal for a lot of casual park goers and that given how well established Mario is that it makes complete sense to put that IP forward. Heck I get that even asking for Star Fox or Metroid sections might be too much to ask, but the very least stuff like Kirby or Zelda sections (even in just concept art or announced plans) would get me a bit more excited about it.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Honestly I'm a bit torn about the Nintendo World park. While I do like that DK being so adjacent to the main franchise means it'll likely get a showcase, the excess Mario focus for the park is a bit disappointing. I know that Earthbound or Punch Out themed sections aren't necessarily going to be a big appeal for a lot of casual park goers and that given how well established Mario is that it makes complete sense to put that IP forward. Heck I get that even asking for Star Fox or Metroid sections might be too much to ask, but the very least stuff like Kirby or Zelda sections (even in just concept art or announced plans) would get me a bit more excited about it.
No kidding! There doesn't seem to be much Zelda, much F-Zero, much Star Fox, much Fire Emblem, not even those from companies like HAL such as Kirby. I know Mario is Nintendo's biggest character and all, but for an Nintendo section of a theme park, it all seems rather lacking.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Hey, all the more reason we should be happy DK gets a section right ?

I mean, a jungle theme is quite a regular setting in theme parks. And I visited both Disney Lands in Paris and Orlando (been in America once) and the jungle sections of those got a very very strong DK vibe to it. There was even a minecart rollercoaster ride in Paris for example. Maybe that's why I always pictured a DK theme park as something natural to happen.

Anyway, am not entirely sure that it's a 100% certainty that there will be a new DK game coming because of this all. But the other evidence is kind of telling.

I just dunno at this point.

Justin Little

Smash Ace
From what I have seen rumored or speculated on theme park forums, Zelda and Pokemon are next in line after DK. After all that, I could see a sci fi Nintendo section that houses Metroid, Star Fox, F-Zero, and Kirby provided they have enough room to build it.

Last edited:

donkeykong_downunder

Smash Rookie
Sharing an uncommon piece of Dixie Kong merchandise:

She didn't get a lot of love compared to other characters in the plush department, but when said set includes Mario and Yoshi in addition to the tons of other DK merch out there, it's clear how revered DKC was in its hey day.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I guess that’s the drawback of the fact that Super Nintendo World is technically just a single area out of a whole bunch of Universal parks, so it has to share land with outside IPs. Still, maybe they’ll add something like Zelda or Kirby in the future, theme parks are always expanding. (They may just want to start small to gauge success before adding too much at once).

Last edited:

Justin Little

Smash Ace
Last edited:

Justin Little

Smash Ace
I'm pretty sure they revealed BotW 2 in a direct where they said they'll focus on games releasing in 2019. Not saying we'll definitely see DK, but it could happen.

Last edited:

GAINAX

Smash Journeyman
I mean, we've had a load of shadow drops over the last year. Paper Mario TOK came out like a month after it was announced?
Fingers crossed boys! I can't remember the last time we had a 50 minute Direct...

Note: It's worth mentioning Nate on Resetera who first broke the Direct news, is also the guy who said recently the next DK game was being worked on at Nintendo and was 2D. I think there's a correlation here...

Last edited:

PestilenceSSB

Smash Cadet
Buckle up, DK fans. If something does happen to the franchise, let's cover all bases by expecting the worst, the best, and everything in between. In the meantime, I'd like to reiterate this DK Vine tweet:

Kold Pizza

Smash Apprentice
Just heard the news of the Nintendo direct happening soon. It‘s been quite a while since we had one and I am definitely excited. At the same time, I am curious and intrigued by what could possibly be shown in the direct.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
Honestly, I still could see Diddy and Dixie as a tag team work and happening. But that would have to be in a next Smash where there's a huge reboot of the roster.

As a dedicated Diddy main, I wouldn't even object this too much. How would you all feel about this?
I'm still not into it. Chaining Dixie to Diddy feels a little bit like chaining Luigi to Mario. It doesn't give either character a chance to shine on their own. But like I said, it's better than nothing!

Buckle up, DK fans. If something does happen to the franchise, let's cover all bases by expecting the worst, the best, and everything in between. In the meantime, I'd like to reiterate this DK Vine tweet:

Objection! What about the ones that can be paid off with Kremcoins and Bonus Coins?

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
With Mario and Zelda already having recent games out, that gives more chances for other franchises to be showcased in this Direct (unlikely that BotW2 is coming this year let alone in the next 3 months). So maybe it's time for more DK news? And to help get that hype train rolling, they could maybe, I don't know, announce Dixie as the next Smash DLC?

Top Bottom