• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Dixie Day art!

Last edited:

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Remember, Sakurai may post a picture celebrating DKC2's anniversary later tonight. However, it's not certain, especially with this day being full of anniversaries. But it's possible, especially with the 25th anniversary being a notable one. It's not like poor DKC3's 24th that I forgot -- I mean, everyone forgot.

If there is a tweet from Sakurai commemorating DKC2, please show up to support Dixie if you can! Even if it's just RTing DIXIE FOR SMASH's tweet!

To incentivize participation, I will soon post a new stage concept for Dixie Kong in Super Smash Brothers.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Remember, Sakurai may post a picture celebrating DKC2's anniversary later tonight. However, it's not certain, especially with this day being full of anniversaries. But it's possible, especially with the 25th anniversary being a notable one.
I believe he's posted multiple Anniversary pics on the same day before, such as when he posted pics for both Super Mario Odyssey's and Panel De Pon's Anniversaries circa a month ago, so it is perfectly possible he posts DKC2's pic alongside say, Banjo Tooie/OOT/Melee/Pokemon GS.

Whew, that's a lot.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
What would be the best stage for her, anyway? Bramble Blast, maybe?
I think a choice of 4 iconic DKC2 stages cycled through ala Garreg Mach Monastery could work

Bramble Blast - Basic layout with wooden platforms over brambles with occasional Flitters in the air & Click-Clacks which can be used a throwable weapons
Kannon's Klaim - Vertically oriented stage with cannon balls often being shot and floating arrow barrels appearing
Ghostly Grove - Horizontal focused stage with various platforms reachable via Temporary Ghost Ropes & Kloaks throwing both hazards and occasional items
Hornet Hole - A more enclosed space with honey sections fighters can stick to on the ground or walls while Zingers as a recurring hazard

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Well, the good news is that Sakurai did acknowledge there were a lot of Anniversaries today.

The bad news is that DKC2 wasn't listed among them, unless you want to imagine it being included in "etc".

Dixie Kong | I Haven't Got a Friend In the World - YouTube

The full translation is:
November 21st is the day when many large Nintendo titles came out. A typical example is "The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time". Besides, Super Nintendo, "Mario World", "F-ZERO", "Pokemon Gold and Silver", "Smash Bros. DX", etc ... The same goes for "Punch Out," "Triforce of the Gods," and "Mario 3D World."

I mean, I know he couldn't list ALL of them, but it was kind of the 25th Anniversary for us, you know? Given how they celebrated Mario 35, I thought Anniversaries ending in 5 were supposed to be more "special" in terms of priority?

Last edited:

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
What can I tell ya, it's disappointing. I get it though. It really is a big release day for Nintendo games. Feels like we were ironically crushed by the sheer size/importance of the DK franchise back in the day, being a major November release. Now, after decades, lost in all the major November releases since then.

Oh well. Rain or shine, reverse control water levels or not, the Dixie for Smash quest kongtinues!

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Sakurai named off so many anniversaries, but skipped DKC2. I am borderline depressed now. I know it shouldn't be surprising since it took forever to get Diddy and K. Rool in Smash, but... damn.
I thought it was universally agreed that Diddy would’ve been in Melee if not for the Rare shenanigans at the time? K Rool definitely would’ve never happened though without the fans all throughout Smash 4, but Dixie I like to think still has a shot somewhere with how much she’s been pushed in stuff lately, even if I’m not expecting her for fighter pass 2 particularly... But if we’re to go with the current belief that FP2 is mostly Nintendo deciding (while pass 1 was pretty much all Sakurai), then she’s not an impossibility.

Justin Little

Smash Ace
It's so odd they made a big deal about Dixie in MKT and even acknowledged DK64's anniversary milestone, but they don't even mention either DKCs' anniversary. What are they allowed to talk about? If bringing back DK in the spotlight is going to happen next year, they sure have a capricious way of promoting it.

It always depressing when a big company neglects a series anniversary. I'm a huge Rayman fan, and Ubisoft's main twitter account completely ignored it and gave us some Rabbids mobile game in its place. Rayman practically built that company, and they had to disrespect their legacy like that.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Its worth nothing that as unfortunate as it might be, its always been fans that kept DKC2 and DKC3 relevant within the popular consciousness. Nintendo and various gaming critics generally treat the original Donkey Kong Country as the major deal with the latter two as standard sequels. The actual improved design with stages, incredible atmosphere, and expanded ambitions of DIddy's Kong Quest and Dixie's Double Trouble are a given within fan communities but seem to come as a surprise to others.

Go find Tweets of people playing DKC2 when it was released on SNES online recently and be amazed at people suddenly discovering that there was a brilliant platformer there the entire time. It really shows that long term Nintendo's mishandling has affected the series' legacy ; Donkey Kong Country (and to a lesser extent DK64) was too big for history to at all forget, while other titles haven't been so lucky.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
DKC2 isn't a mainstream hit like the original but it's still pretty popular among gamers; I think about everyone has heard Stickerbush Symphony at some point.

DKC3 is definitely a neglected sequel, and I can understand all the reasons for that, but I still think it's a great game worth playing.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
10 years ago today... Man time sure does fly by and The first video game I ever bought on release day too.

While not the best one in the series (Still great), It was the one to reboot/reinvigorate the franchise to returning older players who grew up with DK, But also bringing it back to a whole new generation of kids too.

It sure as hell renewed my interest back into Donkey Kong as I "Kind of" fell off of the series after Donkey Kong 64 because of the direction Nintendo took the franchise after the Rareware buyout, After a decade of only really getting my DK fix out of Mario spinoffs through the Gamecube and early Wii era, It was really great to see Retro Studios pick up where Rareware left off with Returns and taking it to the next level with it's sequel Tropical Freeze which I honestly and probably would consider to be the best 2D platformer of all time.

Just like with Metroid, I hope someday Retro Studios takes another shot at the Donkey Kong franchise again.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
To celebrate Dixie's birthday, a new Dixie Kong stage concept is here!

I tried my best to adapt the stage to a Smash Bros setting within my abilities and time.

Welp, unless he posts a follow-up, it seems we have been lost in the deluge of major releases.

Since my Japanese is.. extremely limited, which titles does Sakurai recognise on this date? I mean, sure DKC2 was a sequel, but it was a highly critically acclaimed one. Sold well too if I recall. I think Ocarina of Time was referred?

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Since my Japanese is.. extremely limited, which titles does Sakurai recognise on this date? I mean, sure DKC2 was a sequel, but it was a highly critically acclaimed one. Sold well too if I recall. I think Ocarina of Time was referred?
I posted the automatic Google Translation in one of my earlier posts.

The full translation is:
November 21st is the day when many large Nintendo titles came out. A typical example is "The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time". Besides, Super Nintendo, "Mario World", "F-ZERO", "Pokemon Gold and Silver", "Smash Bros. DX", etc ... The same goes for "Punch Out," "Triforce of the Gods," and "Mario 3D World."

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Well, the good news is that Sakurai did acknowledge there were a lot of Anniversaries today.

The bad news is that DKC2 wasn't listed among them, unless you want to imagine it being included in "etc".

Dixie Kong | I Haven't Got a Friend In the World - YouTube't Got a Friend In the World - YouTube

The full translation is:

I mean, I know he couldn't list ALL of them, but it was kind of the 25th Anniversary for us, you know? Given how they celebrated Mario 35, I thought Anniversaries ending in 5 were supposed to be more "special" in terms of priority?
Well I'll be damn. I didn't know all of these masterpieces shared the same birthday with each other. That's awesome.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
I watched the entirety of the interviews with GameXplain. Things I didn't know before were:

- In a Snow Bound Land is actually a rushed track put at last minute just like Stickerbush Symphony.

- The devs don't remember where the ponytail idea came from. But when Steve Mayles tried to make Dixie the easy way by modifying Diddy and putting a ponytail. She looked godawful, so he had to edit her model heavily to make her look feminine and distinct from Diddy.

- David Wise's favorite tune from DKC2 depends on his mood, it used to be Forest Interlude, now it's between Bayou Boogie and Stickerbush Symphony.

- The pirate theme is an obsession of Greg Mayles (In his brother's words), that's why Treasure Trove Cove and Sea of Thieves are a thing, he loves pirates.

- Steve couldn't beat the game now when it came out in SNES Online, so he resorted to the rewind feature xD

Nintendo neglecting DKC2's anniversary doesn't surprise me at this point, I accepted it and knew it would inevitably happen after last year.

Anyway, happy birthday to Dixie, DKC2 and the SNES (And Super Mario World, Melee, Smash 4 and many other games, but those aren't my favorite game of all time).

I can't let this day pass, without beating DKC2 AGAIN. This time on the original hardware to celebrate the SNES's 30th anniversary too of course.
DKC2 Ending.jpg

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
SourceGaming did a character chronicle on Dixie Kong for the 25th Anniversary!

This part of the article stood out to me:

"Within the series’ fiction, however, Dixie’s accomplishments rival her two costars. She advances into a full-fledged heroine in Double Trouble, proving her worth by emancipating her friends, echoing how the eponymous chimp in Diddy’s Kong Quest saved his idol (who, I contest, had likewise rescued his guardian). Similarly, her acquiring the DK Coins strewn throughout Double Trouble mirrors Diddy having done so in Kong Quest (wherein Mario failed to locate them all). Out of the Donkey-Diddy-Dixie-Cranky quadfecta, she’s even the only one who hasn’t been kidnapped. Becoming a venerated hero was explicitly Diddy’s arc under Rare’s stewardship, a goal Dixie also achieved in her universe yet still struggles to prove in ours."

So much truth in one single paragraph. I'm out of words.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I was already pretty surprised about the coincidence of Super Mario World releasing around same date as DKC2, but then comes pretty much an avalanche of meaningful release during this very date... didn't really prepare for this at all!

I really was gonna play both SMW and DKC2, but I might have to rethink what to do this day. But for Dixie's sake, the latter shall take some priority~

Also I see ya with that Trinitron-tube, @Dukemon102~

Gamexplain got a 2nd discussion for DKC2's 25th, this time with David Wise!

Some of these facts really blew me away... imagine what the other songs would have been if there indeed were more development time for DKC2. :kirby2:

Cart Boy

Smash Rookie
Hey, I see my Character Chronicle has been shared here. Neat. Thanks for doing so, Mushroomguy12, and I'm glad you enjoyed it, Dukemon102.

Anyhoo, I'm briefly emerging from my long, self-imposed exile to wish our favorite fictional heroine a happy birthday, and to celebrate her debut game's milestone 25th. Here's hoping we get some more Donkey Kong action next year!

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Hey, I see my Character Chronicle has been shared here. Neat. Thanks for doing so, Mushroomguy12, and I'm glad you enjoyed it, Dukemon102.

Anyhoo, I'm briefly emerging from my long, self-imposed exile to wish our favorite fictional heroine a happy birthday, and to celebrate her debut game's milestone 25th. Here's hoping we get some more Donkey Kong action next year!
Thank you for delivering our monkey girl a present on her birthday. ;)

Justin Little

Smash Ace

It was a fantastic write up, and it should be brought up everytime someone doubts her legitimacy as a character and a fighter.

I also like to thank you for bringing up that interview about there being a new DK IP team, something I think people forget way too often (myself included).

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
This is all REALLY excellent content, everyone! I had no idea so many great games came out on this day, but while it sucks that Sakurai didn't acknowledge it, we got dozens of people and outlets spreading the word. That's the thing I wanna get into: even though Nintendo doesn't really acknowledge DKC, and frankly tries to shun certain elements, we fans have kept it alive. Not just on smashboards either; we've got over 900 followers on Twitter, GameXplain is always giving the series its time to shine, loads of fanart pouring in from various users, an excellent chronicle from SourceGaming and developer insights. It really feels like Dixie as a character, and DKC as a whole is truly beloved.

A while ago I said that if Nintendo doesn't acknowledge and appreciate DK, then us fans will take matters into our own hands, and we certainly did. We'll keep putting in a great word for both Dixie and DKC. Whether our favorites are from Rare's era or Retro's we've got 5 excellent and memorable games to choose from, with about a dozen fun characters to show off and many phenomenal music tracks.

I'm glad to have gotten the chance to play DKC2 back in 2007; my family was on the verge of homelessness, and being able to play it during the fall of that year kept me from despair. Between that game and Brawl's hype cycle, my excitement for the future was remarkably high. I remember the days walking home from school humming Mining Melancholy, looking at the leaves change to their yellows, reds and oranges as I hurried to my friend's house to use his emulator. Diddy was always my childhood favorite Kong, but I never got the chance to play DKC2 in ths 90's. Part of me is glad I played it when I did though, cuz if I played it as a kid....Dixie would've been my favorite Kong. She flat out upstaged Diddy as badly as he upstaged DK. I was amazed with that game, and I was playing it 12 years after it came out.

Dixie's gotten incremental exposure from Nintendo recently, and while it's a baby step in the right direction, it certainly isn't enough. She doesn't get her due credit TBH, and while I sadly doubt she'll get into Ultimate, I wanna point out that her absense doesn't make her unworthy. Smash Bros is a boost to one's legacy--a boost Dixie needs--but it's not the defining point of her legacy, and it won't be if she gets in. She's still the preferred Kong for most when she's playable, one of Nintendo's longest running action-girls, a girl who's never been canonically captured and a great asset in the 2 best DKCs. Whether Dixie gets in or not, she's still a great character and an excellent Nintendo All-Star.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
To celebrate Dixie's birthday, a new Dixie Kong stage concept is here!

I tried my best to adapt the stage to a Smash Bros setting within my abilities and time.

Whoa... well done my friend. It's a bit of an interesting art style as well. Very distinct. What program did you use to do this?
What can I tell ya, it's disappointing. I get it though. It really is a big release day for Nintendo games. Feels like we were ironically crushed by the sheer size/importance of the DK franchise back in the day, being a major November release. Now, after decades, lost in all the major November releases since then.

Oh well. Rain or shine, reverse control water levels or not, the Dixie for Smash quest kongtinues!
Well I'll be damn. I didn't know all of these masterpieces shared the same birthday with each other. That's awesome.
I was already pretty surprised about the coincidence of Super Mario World releasing around same date as DKC2, but then comes pretty much an avalanche of meaningful release during this very date... didn't really prepare for this at all!
It's just a big day for games.
This is the week before Thanksgiving--- companies release a lot of games. Many products are historically released now, in general. To get that Black Friday money.

Last edited:

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Thanks! I used Paint.NET to cut out the platforms from gameplay videos of DKCTF and edit them as needed. I used a stock photo for the clouds in the sky that I appended to the original sky from DKCTF. And I made it all move in DaVinci Resolve.

Oh yeah and I used the free fireworks effects on Microsoft's Video Editor App.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Its time boys! Its finally time for that DK amiibo line!
Eh... They do have Diddy and Donkey in the Mario line.
I'd prefer a full DK line- but if we just got the rest of the Kong universe to get characters with Mario, I wouldn't mind.
If only Nintendo continued with Amiibo. I doubt we will get an amiiibo focused game.
I wish.

I'd love a DK line with DK, Diddy, Dixie, Cranky, Funky, Kiddy, Lanky, Rambi, Candy, Granny, DK Jr, K Rool, Tiny, Chunky, Enguarde, Klaptrap...a bunch more, but I'd start here.

Staarih

Smash Master
The DK crew's initials were trademarked in China it seems.

Maybe Tropical Freeze is getting an official release in China, the initials here happen to be all the playable characters in that game.

But a DK amiibo line... I need it now.

Last edited:

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
The DK crew's initials were trademarked in China it seems.

Its time boys! Its finally time for that DK amiibo line!
I just bought the Super Mario version of DK. I swear Nintendo actively looks for the moment I buy a figure to make another one of the same character xD. That's why so many Link amiibos exist.
Either way, I'm not exagerating when I say that I would buy them all at the release date. If I don't have the money, Dixie is the number one priority (My intentional empty space for her would finally be filled).

Also, Returns is oficially out in China and the DK logo wasn't trademarked? That's weird.

Last edited:
Top Bottom