• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

max_0888

Smash Cadet
With the Dixie hat mii added in Ultimate and Dixie appearing in Mario Kart Tour and Donkey Kong Country 2 being added to switch online, i'm hopeful Dixie will appear in Smash someday. If not in this game, in the hopeful port of Ultimate on the next console.

Im actually playing DKC 2 again and it is much harder than I remembered 😅

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
As a Zelda fan and someone who likes DK, but not to the point that I'd call myself a fan, in the Mario Kart context, I would replace Link by Diddy without an hesitation. It's just a question of priority. Guests? Why not. But after the familly.
I agree. Nothing against Zelda, but DK characters should take priority over Zelda characters in Mario Kart as DK characters feel more natural since DK is a lot more heavily connected to Mario in origins.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
After the DK characters, someone whose character actually revolves around racing like Capt Falcon would make the most sense to have as a Mario Kart guest from another Nintendo IP, not Link, but “F-Zero dead now lul”, so can’t have him in, let alone having his own game again.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
After the DK characters, someone whose character actually revolves around racing like Capt Falcon would make the most sense to have as a Mario Kart guest from another Nintendo IP, not Link, but “F-Zero dead now lul”, so can’t have him in, let alone having his own game again.
Yeah, that's really sad. At least the Blue Falcon is here, so I can play with my Mii in it and pretend I'm the Captain's successor... Shhh, let me dream!

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Yeah, that's really sad. At least the Blue Falcon is here, so I can play with my Mii in it and pretend I'm the Captain's successor... Shhh, let me dream!
We got the Blue Falcon Kart, the Captain Falcon Amiibo outfit, two F-Zero Stages, literally everything but the Captain himself. Sigh....

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
I'm OK with Link, and even the AC and Splatoon characters. Zelda and Mario have always had an intertwining relationship, and Animal Crossing and Splatoon are also important Nintendo franchises that don't feel completely out of place.

If we start getting Persona characters in Mario Kart, that's when I might get a little wary.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Donkey Kong Warriors concept art by Kremling Kampaigner.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Its crazy as Captain Falcon, Mach Rider, Excitebiker, and Stunt Race FX car should all be playable in the next Mario Kart game or Nintendo Kart if that truly is where the series is headed. Its obvious why the last 3 cant be Smash fighters but they could work in a Mario Kart. Also such a shame Nintendo refuses to make racing games/series outside of Mario Kart nowadays.

• Stunt Race FX
  • Diddy Kong Racing/DS
  • F-Zero/X/GX/GP Legend/Maximum Velocity
  • Excite Truck
  • Excitebike/64/World Rally
  • Kirby Air Ride
  • Donkey Kong: Barrel Blast
  • Wave Race/Blue Storm
  • 1080 Snowboarding/Avalanche
  • Pokemon Dash
  • Excitebots: Trick Racing

^ We went from all of those to just Mario Kart and even then we haven't even gotten a new REAL Mario Kart game since 2014...

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Kirby characters would make sense too since Kirby Air Ride was a thing.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773

Marth in a kart wouldn't be that much more out of place for me than Link, but I agree with the message overall; Nintendo Kart is a diluted slippery slope to go down. Some other IP appearances in MK is welcome on occasion, but don't really see Nintendo going to Smash levels of crossover with it.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I'd be fine with there being two racing franchises where one is the purer Mario Kart experiences (basically continuing what 8 Deluxe is doing now) and the other brings back Double Dash mechanics and goes all out with both Nintendo characters and more experimental ideas in racing. Heck maybe have that one go for the Diddy Kong Racing esc Adventure Mode too.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I'd be fine with there being two racing franchises where one is the purer Mario Kart experiences (basically continuing what 8 Deluxe is doing now) and the other brings back Double Dash mechanics and goes all out with both Nintendo characters and more experimental ideas in racing. Heck maybe have that one go for the Diddy Kong Racing esc Adventure Mode too.
It would be nice if there was an Adventure Mode in Mario Kart like in Diddy Kong Racing. Instead of collecting Golden Balloons to unlock race courses, you collect Power Stars.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
We don't need a Nintendo Kart. Guest characters as DLC are fine but Nintendo won't have the guts to not name its racing franchise "Mario". BTW I think we haven't gotten a new MK in a while because the MK team is burnt out of doing those. An ARMS sequel seems more likely to be announced.

All this talk about Mario Kart makes me want a definitive release of Donkey Kong Racing. Diddy Kong Racing is out of bounds due to copyright reasons, or at least its characters are. And Barrel Blast was a good idea... tarnished by a terrible execution.

The fan roster I have seen here is so good. And there are so many good locations to make courses of. Monkey Mines, Krem Croc Industries, Krazy Kremland, Gloomy Gulch, the Northern Kremisphere's Overworld, Frantic Factory, a mix of K. Rool's Keep / Creepy Castle, every world of Tropical Freeze translates to a very unique racing course (Imagine a track based on Grassland Groove yum yum). In Mario Kart the most non-jungle thing DK got was MK Wii's Summit (And it has Mario's statue in it >_>).

Sonic & Sega All Stars Racing Transformed and Crash Team Racing Nitro Fueled made me appreciate how a well made racing game from another IP can have so much potential.
Diddy Kong Racing had mostly original courses and Barrel Blast was full of copy pasted generic locations (And Space? Was that in the Climber games?).
But of course, in this Mario Kart drought I'm expecting another reaction similar to Tropical Freeze's "It's not Metroid".

Last edited:

Jurae818

Smash Journeyman
I"m down for that DK Musou idea. The initial hope was that Mario got its own Musou and you'd see DK characters creep in eventually but a pure DK Warriors would be ideal. I'd definitely would go for that roster, but add Ghastly King and the evil Kongs for Jungle Beat representation and Lord Fredrik and Bashmaster for Tropical Freeze. I'm actually surprised that a Donkey Kong Party hasn't been made. At least one title would be justified.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
Captain Falcon would look too silly riding around in a go-kart. That's the only reason I'm not sold on the idea.

Donkey Kong Warriors concept art by Kremling Kampaigner.

Wait, only one playable bad guy? I love King K. Rool, but what is even the point of Donkey Kong Warriors if you can't play as Klubba or Bashmaster?

Last edited:

Ed-boy

Smash Journeyman
~Nintendo, HIRE-

Lenidem

Smash Lord
Captain Falcon would look too silly riding around in a go-kart. That's the only reason I'm not sold on the idea.
Sillier than Link? Falcon is also kind of a goof, at least since Smash and GX. But I'm not really advocating for him to be in Mario Kart anyway: it's F-Zero that should come back. Although since it's not the case, I guess Mario Kart is (with Smash Bros.) the best last place for him. I would rather have the Captain playable in MK than most of the other guests.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Captain Falcon in Mario Kart should honestly happen. I mean, just how long has his Blue Falcon been a vehicle in Mario Kart now? And also Big Blue as a race track? Make him a bit more cartoony in build, bigger head, funny facial expressions, make him a total show off too . It'd be golden.

Yes I also prefer Diddy to return over just about any other characters, especially guests, or different versions of characters, including babies... But can't say Link, Villager or Inkling irk me. They fit well, especially since Link got an actual motorcycle since BotW. I admit it was a bit weird before that however.

Been playing Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair since last week. I love it so far. This game just oozes the regular Rare charm. Very easy to love the cast of characters despite never playing the original game. I can now easily imagine how a modern DKC by "Rare" would play. Gameplay is even better despite being inspired by Tropical Freeze, like that's even a bad thing... Would love for Playtonic to stay around with Nintendo. Possibly even hire them, and make Donkey Kong games? I want this now more than ever.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
I thought the original Yooka-Laylee was just okay, but Impossible Lair quickly became one of my favorite games of all time. I'm glad more people are playing it.

And yeah, a new DKC by Playtonic would be amazing. I honestly wouldn't mind if Nintendo purchased them outright, just so they'd have more money and better tools to play with, although I'm sure they'd rather stay independent.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
The Impossible Lair is of great quality indeed! It's got all the charm games as Banjo-Kazooie had. Maybe even more of it. It's close at least. Every Rare fan, and DKC fan shouldn't go wrong with it honestly. It's fluid, got nice pacing, is very satisfactory in its gameplay and how you collect everything, just a classic 2D Rare platformer reminding me of both DKC2, DKC3 and Banjo-Kazooie. The first game is now looking more appealing cause I grew to love the characters.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Its time for another Donkey Kong question of the day!

Which would you rather do? 101% DK64 in one sitting or play Barrel Blast non-stop for a full 24 hours?

Lenidem

Smash Lord
Its time for another Donkey Kong question of the day!

Which would you rather do? 101% DK64 in one sitting or play Barrel Blast non-stop for a full 24 hours?
Same as my neighbor from above. I never finished DK64 at all because I get bored at some point, so I would rather give Barrel Blast a chance. At least I would discover a new game.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
The sad/funny thing is, if Dixie had been Kong #4 instead of Tiny, you wouldn't of noticed much if any difference (in gameplay and such), but her being there would've made all the difference in being more remembered retroactively.

As for the question, I guess Barrel Blast since I haven't played before. I liked DK64 more than most people, but again, have had my fill of it.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
As you probably know, DKC2's 25th anniversary is this November 21st in Japan. Which means it is November 20th for most of us (hour difference).

If Sakurai Kongtinues posting anniversary pictures, we may have a rare chance to show our support for Dixie to Mr. Sakurai. I say that because as we know, he told all of us the choices for the DLC were made a long time ago and he wants us to stay on topic on his tweets, something many people who send him NSFW pictures do not seem to understand. And we have respected that of course.

But if he posts a Smash Bros pic celebrating DKC2's anniversary, Dixie will actually be on topic. So what better chance for all of us to show how much we want Dixie, including any special Dixie pictures or creative things we've made. Showing support for Dixie could be important for Dixie, even if it's about the next Smash Bros or any future DLC plans for this game.

Just something to keep in mind.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
25th anniversary of my favorite game ever. Whoa time really flies. Am 30 now, but remember the day that I got DKC2 from my parents very well. A game with my favourite character ever as the main star, I was overjoyed playing it. I remember DKC in general being a very family oriented thing for us back in the 90s. I used to play DKC1 at the SNES at my aunt's and cousins' place. We even used to fight about who got to control Diddy 😂 The same aunt used to call our house often to call me for finding secrets in DKC2, DKC3 and especially DK64. My older male cousin used to call me for this too, and Pokémon related questions. It where good times... I already told this once, but my mother used to 100% DKC1, and I still haven't even managed that!

It all happened before my late grandmother died, yeah not a happy detail, but that happened on my 10th birthday and the family hasn't been the same ever since. I even used to cry a bit at Wrinkly Kong being a ghost, cause in a way she resembles my grandmother ...

Despite the sadness, I hold especially strong nostalgic feelings towards the entire Donkey Kong franchise. It was family bonding, and it's very family friendly. I just now realized these exact nostalgic feelings honestly while typing this out. Maybe am feeling nostalgic in general cause I lost a good friend who I considered as family too, and these sort of memories just pop up because the themes of nostalgia and family are crossing my mind a lot now.

Anyway, am grateful to be here with you guys, and gals , sharing all this. <3

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord

It's something that's we've gone over here many times. But now there's a poll to it.

I used to be more militant about making it a special attack, but I can see why many would like it to just execute right out of a normal jump. It would give Dixie an extra "slot" for a special attack for one. But it's hard to think about a recovery special that would take its place that would feel satisfying.

I don't really like barrel cannons or Squawks as Dixie's up special recovery personally, it feels like it encroaches on her gimmick, you know?

Here's the overall concept on Tumblr: https://dixieforsmash.tumblr.com/po...ixie-kong-moveset-concept-helicopter-spin-1st

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Snowboundland already touched on it, but yeah, we have a Tumblr now!

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
To me Dixie's hair is the ideal thing for the A attacks, grabs, throws, and basic jumps, but once you get to Special Moves, they should feel distinct from that. A bit like Simon's whip where its the most prominent part of him, yet with very different B attacks.
I agree. Taking up a special move to do something other characters can do freely out of their jumps feels like a huge waste. I'd much rather have Squawks or a barrel cannon for her up-B. (Squawks would be a nice way to reuse Mega Man's cut custom special where he calls Beat.)

Honestly, the barrel cannon should be DK's up-B. He's probably the character that's suffered the most for being stuck with a moveset from 1999, before Smash had all the references and personality it has today.

Last edited:

Justin Little

Smash Ace
On the topic of Nintendo racers, if they aren't going to make a new F-Zero, Diddy Kong Racing, or Kirby's Air Ride, they should at the very least include C. Falcon, Diddy, and Kirby in Mario Kart. I also 100% believe the next Mario Kart will include more Nintendo guest characters. However, the name "Mario Kart" will never go away or be rebranded to "Nintendo Kart."

On the topic of Impossible Lair, yes, more people need to play this game regardless of how people feel about the first game. It's easily up there with Shovel Knight and Freedom Planet in terms of 2D indie platformers imo. Oh hell, they're great platformers regardless.

On the topic of Dixie's moveset, I think her hair spin should be like Peach's floating ability, and her up special should be her being carried by Squawks. It would feel more natural to me as a DKC2 loyalist. Also, I would keep DK's spinning Kong up special and replace his side special with a barrel cannon recovery/attack.

DX_E

Smash Apprentice
Dixie hovering out of a jump is just Dixie 101! I feel like a lot of people who are saying it should be her up-B are the same people who want Dixie to be an echo of Diddy but just replace her up-B with DK's up-B like with Chrom using Ike's up-B. The problem with that idea is I feel like Dixie would have to be animated differently as DK uses both his arms and Dixie only has the one ponytail. Sure it's as powerful as two arms but I don't see it working like DK. Of course, this won't matter if Dixie gets in as a unique fighter....but I still can't imagine it.....

The animal buddies are such an important component to DKC (DKC2&3 especially) and I'd prefer if Dixie' brought a move-set that involved them. Using Squawks for up-B just feels right to me. It gives Dixie huge mobility in the air but leaves her vulnerable...except for the initial seed he spits out. Maybe this should be a poll for the twiiter account...unless it's been asked already. Should Dixie's move-set incorporate the animal buddies?

I want her to charge the stage with Rambi as well!

Top Bottom