• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I love reading your essays ChronoBound. Amazing work.
I do too. It's always a welcome sight.
I would like to thank both of you for your compliments. I really appreciate them. I also appreciate anyone that chose to like my post. I understand a lot of my work tends to be verbose, so I understand if many do not manage to get through reading what I have to say. We all have a different way of expressing support for Dixie Kong, and my way is through writing. I am not confident it does much to build support for her to those outside her fanbase, but I do think it helps Dixie fans further understand what is so special about this character. Thank you again for your compliments and others for their support.

Just want to say this is an excellent post. I have followed your works in the Smash community for nearly a decade and it is always a delight to see them. Your posts over the years gives light to the history of the Smash speculation community that we have been part of for so long.

Having said that, I disagree that Min-Min might be the only Nintendo character. Even if we assume Geno is inevitable, that's still a second Spirits upgrade. Not to mention that the second Fighter Pass will be even more spaced out than the first one was. That indicates a lower budget for DLCs and licensing out to Nintendo characters is cheaper than say, getting Cloud on the roster. If DK is getting a new game next year - and I am optimistic on that - she has a decent shot of getting in.
Your compliments mean a lot to me as well. I am glad I have been able to provide interesting insight for you for so long. Thank you.

As to the rest of your post, I am not optimistic on that. I already see both Geno and a Tales character (most likely Lloyd, though Yuri has a shot) as very likely, which only leaves three slots left. My estimation is that the next fighter will be confirmed at some point in September, and that the Tales character will be confirmed in December (to coincide with the 25th anniversary of the series).

That would leave only three fighters left for Pass 2. Of these three, I would be surprised if we get through all of Smash DLC without a Capcom newcomer, especially considering how generous Capcom was with content for Smash 4 DLC and Ultimate's base game. There are multiple big name choices for a Capcom fighter as well (namely Dante, Phoenix Wright, and Monster Hunter).

For the other two slots, it gets more dicey. It would be a bit peculiar though if we do not get one more Western third-party character as DLC especially when Sakurai said how he hoped to work with more Western composers in the future. There is also the fact that Western third-party Mii costumes have now started to become a regular occurrence. While the absence of another Western third-party would not be as peculiar as a Capcom newcomer being absent, it would still be a bit peculiar. There are still some very big names that even the Japanese side to the fanbase would be aware of (such as Crash Bandicoot and Minecraft Steve).

For the last slot, there are a few possibilities. Ryu Hayabusa I see as the most likely one, but he has the flimsiest reason for inclusion (namely that Koei-Tecmo is the only major Japanese third-party developer without a character on Ultimate's roster). Arle is another strong possibility. Puyo Puyo has two major titles on the Switch, and the 30th anniversary for Puyo Puyo is next year. Sakurai also seems to look at genre legacy, and Puyo Puyo as a puzzle franchise might be the most notable one outside of Tetris.

The possibility of a Nintendo character depends on Nintendo (and Sakurai) deeming a Nintendo character being more worthy of promotion (or more easily realizable) than the four latter ones I just mentioned (Capcom, Western third-party, Ryu Hayabusa or Arle). In terms of an additional Nintendo character, the three strongest possibilities I see are, in order: a Sword/Shield Pokemon, Elma, and a Rhythm Heaven character.

For Sword/Shield, Pokemon tends to be the only other franchise aside from Fire Emblem that gets "promotional" slots. Major DLC is releasing for Sword/Shield in September, so there is a possibility that a Pokemon ends up being the next fighter for Pass 2. For Elma, it is mainly whether there are plans for a port of Xenoblade X for the Switch, and whether Nintendo has relayed those plans to Sakurai. The same goes for Rhythm Heaven. Rhythm Heaven is the only notable Nintendo franchise that has not received either a Mii costume or Assist Trophy representation, and it supposedly was going to receive a playable fighter and stage in Smash 4 (the Sneaking Spirit is even an enemy in Smash Run).

For a theoretical new DK title though, even if it does exist, it will likely be another year until it is released (maybe to coincide with the 40th anniversary of the Donkey Kong franchise next year). That would mean whoever selected the characters for Fighters Pass 2 (Nintendo, Sakurai, or a combination of the two), had to have known about this possible new DK title far in advance. Much further in advance than other promotional fighters have been in Smash. If a DK character were to happen as a result of a desire to promote this possible title, then it would be one of the most miraculous promotions considering how early in development the DK title would have been at the time of Pass 2's roster being decided.

I have said it many times before, and I will say it again, it will take a perfect alignment of special circumstances to make it so that Dixie manages to be a part of Ultimate's roster.

Yes, yes, yes. I agree 100% with everything here. It's criminal how much DKC3 gets overlooked. I don't think it's as good as Super Mario World, Yoshi's Island or Sonic 2 and 3&K. But its very commited use of gimmicks ironically make it one of the most unique platformers out there. If speed is your preference however, I understand not liking it as much, since DKC1 is designed to be beaten very fast if you know how to play (But its flaws are too evident once you play the sequels) and DKC2 landed that perfect sweetspot of exploration, speed, ambience and music.
DKC3 is a very underrated game. I do think its just outside the trifecta of SNES platformer masterpieces (Super Mario World, Yoshi's Island, and DKC2) and that is very strong praise for the title. It does a lot of things right, but its problem was following up after DKC2 (which was extremely hard to top), launching after the Nintendo 64, and having a controversial co-protagonist (Kiddy Kong). I would say it is easily Rare's second best DK platformer. As I said before, DKC3 really helped solidify Dixie Kong as one of my favorite gaming protagonists during the second half of the 90's.

Hey everyone, so I've been thinking about ways in which Dixie could use her hair--not just in Smash but for fighting games in general. So, after a couple nights brainstorming I doodled up a lot of new ideas, and I wanna separate them into categories.

The first category I wanna show is what I'm gonna call "Hair Pivots"; this is basically maneuvers and attacks where Dixie uses her hair to support herself while another body part performs an attack. It's one of many ways that show how her hair itself can do more than smack enemies. Speaking of which, here's an example:

Dixie can perform a reverse Flip Kick! By using her hair as a balancing agent, Dixie kicks both feet out behind her and uses the momentum as well as her ponytail to swing her legs in an arc. As she does so, her ponytail supports her entire body and allows her to extend her reach past the length of her limbs; Dixie's granted a field of range that's unusual for a Kong her size, with a move that's performed swiftly and gracefully thanks to its momentum. This is perfect for enemies trying to sneak up on Dixie as it's guaranteed to knock them backwards and upwards. The attack is quite strong overall, and one of its greatest assets is how startlingly fast she can perform it. As it's meant to deal with sneak attacks it can come without warning, so beware.

Very proud to show this one. I'm trying to give her an acrobatic flair while balancing the chimpiness and the girly/cartoony aspect. My headcanon is that each Kong has broken most of their bones at least twice in the jungle, so contorting should be no sweat. This concept is a general idea that can work for any fighting game, but in the context of Smash this is definitely Up Tilt or Up Smash material, but anyone who sees this is free to use it however they like for whatever. Speaking of fighting games, this is actually inspired by Cammy from Street Fighter; obviously Cammy can't use her hair to help her do this, but that's where I got the inspiration.

Hope everyone likes this, and please put this on twitter whenever you want!
Incredible artwork. Thank you for sharing this. I really like the amount of art this thread produces despite Dixie not being at the forefront of character support and speculation. It is really a shame how many people think she is basically just "Diddy, except with hair gliding". Her prehensile hair offers many different possibilities for attacks and animations in general. She could easily be very distinctive from DK and Diddy despite being "another monkey".

Uh Dixie Kong fans... I just found an old article from before brawl released that shows Dixie in smash bros bros... crazy

As others have pointed out, that was just a screenshot of a mode where you can display trophies next to one another in Brawl.

However, interestingly enough, Dixie was intended at one point to be part of Brawl's roster (and there is still a fighter folder for Dixie in Brawl's coding). Sakurai has even admitted that Dixie was planned to be playable, however, his intention was to make her as part of a tag team with Diddy. There were technical difficulties getting the tag team concept to work, so he and his team cut Dixie and re-worked Diddy as a fully independent fighter.

I still wonder if the reason (or one of the reasons) Dixie still has not made the roster yet is due to Sakurai wanting to revisit that tag team concept or thinking the tag team concept is the only thing that would make Dixie "interesting".

It's not fake. That's their trophies, plus millsfan brought this up a few posts above you.

Damn, Brawl really was 12 years ago... Feeling old now.
Since everyone else is reminiscing about their first exposure to the Smash Bros. series, I think I will share mine as well. I wrote this a while back:

Samus and Ridley were two of my favorite video game characters ever, and I very anxiously awaited a fourth game in the Metroid series throughout the late 1990's. I constantly replayed Metroid 1, Metroid II, and Super Metroid, in anticipation that a Nintendo 64 installment would eventually be announced.

When my family finally got the internet in 1997, I was surprised to see that so many other people also loved Super Metroid. I discovered a Metroid fansite called the Metroid Database. Every week or so, I would check that site for any news or rumblings pertaining to a possible new Metroid game.

In late 1998, there was an entry saying something along the lines of "Samus finally makes her Nintendo 64 debut", and I was ecstatic because I thought finally a new Metroid game had been announced. However, when I clicked on the entry it talked about a fighting game and linked to an IGN story.

The IGN story talked about a fighting game featuring all of Nintendo's major heroes and amongst them, Samus. Needless to say I was overcome with joy. Not only would Samus finally make a new major appearance on a game console, but all of my other favorite video game characters (which were mostly Nintendo) would be in as well. It was like some sort of fantasy come true.

I anxiously awaited the release of Smash 64. Samus, Mario, Donkey Kong, Link, Yoshi, Kirby, and Pikachu all being in the same game was really amazing to see. I was even surprised and happy to see they brought in Ness (EarthBound was yet another game I liked that none of my classmates knew about). Smash Bros. seemed to be a game made just for me.

When Smash Bros. was finally released in the West, I was absolutely blown away when I actually got my hands on it. The items, the stages, the roster, everything amazed me. It very quickly became one of my favorite games for the Nintendo 64. I was even endeared with the "nonsense pick" Jigglypuff (back then, people had no idea why Jigglypuff was chosen as Pokemon's second playable character aside from perhaps Jigglypuff having a similar body to Kirby). The more I played, the more it became one of my favorite games ever.

To add in some more details, I cannot tell you how much of a big deal Super Smash Bros. was for me. I was someone that would be ecstatic just to see Samus cameo in another game (Super Mario RPG, Kirby Superstar, and Kirby's Dream Land 3 were made a little more special for me due to their Samus cameos). Almost all of the Nintendo franchises that had big SNES titles, received or were going to receive Nintendo 64 installments. Of the franchises that had a character on Smash 64's roster, the only two that did not have a 64 installment yet or known to have one in development were Metroid and Kirby, and with Kirby a major Kirby title was released just over a year ago (Dream Land 3) by the time Smash 64 released (January 1999 in Japan). By comparison, Metroid's last game at Smash 64's release was nearly five years ago (March 1994).

For a big Metroid fan like me (and I was the only one in my class that even knew about the series), it was miraculous that Samus managed to make a roster of 12 when Metroid's future looked uncertain. Seeing Samus in 3D for the first time was incredible for me, as well as being able to see a Metroid environment in 3D (the Planet Zebes stage).

Having Samus in a Nintendo 64 title but also in a game with many of my other favorite game characters was very surreal. I had always thought her N64 debut was going to be in a "Metroid 64", but it ended up being in a crossover of all things. Like even Mother had a Nintendo 64 installment in development at the time (it was featured in screenshots in magazines going back to early 1997), and Kirby's developer (HAL Laboratories) was the developer of Smash 64 so those two made sense on some level despite there not having been 64 releases for their franchises yet. However, for Metroid, it was a franchise that had no known future at the time.

Smash 64 was one of my favorite games of all time at that point simply due to it bringing most of my favorite game characters together for the same game. Like having all these characters interact with one another and being able to be inside their other universes was really incredible.

I remember being intensely hyped for the international release of Smash. Like I would print out as much screenshots of the game as I could, and put them all into a binder, and arrange the screenshots by character (a Mario section, a Samus section, a Yoshi section etc.). I would constantly look at the screenshots in the binder to daydream about playing Smash, and what the game would play like.

I got Smash 64 as a birthday gift, and the wait was easily worth the hype. It became one of my favorite 64 titles instantly.

Even small things like Ridley's cameo in the background to Smash 64 made the game very special to me (it was amazing to me how Ridley of all things was even able to make a cameo in Smash 64). This cameo actually got me to daydream about the possibility of a Smash 2, and in particular about villains/antagonists for each Nintendo franchise joining the roster.

Smash 64 today is looked at as a very barebones games, but back in the day (over 20 years ago), it was really groundbreaking. I never could have imagined that Smash would end up taking the form it has now, and we would go from 12 characters, to over 80. Ridley was the character I spent the most time hoping for, and it took nearly 20 years for him to happen. At this point, I am pretty satisfied with the roster, and the content in Ultimate in general.

Spinning the topic back to Dixie, it is incredible how things changed for her since the time Smash 64 debuted to now. Back when Smash 64 was released, Dixie had three consecutive years as the protagonist of a major platformer release (DKC2 in 1995, DKC3 in 1996, and DKL3 in 1997). Her last major appearance was only a little over a year old by the time Smash 64 was released. Ironically enough, this ended up being not just her last major appearance, but her last appearance in general (in the DK series) until 2004 (when Donkey Konga 2 released in Japan). In terms of a major appearance in her own series, it took until Tropical Freeze for her to get a major starring role again.

Back at the time when Smash 64 debuted, it was Samus who was fading in the shadows and Dixie was at the forefront as being Nintendo's biggest heroine (but still, Samus and Dixie Kong were probably considered the Top 2 Nintendo heroines, regardless of how old Super Metroid was at the time). Now, it seems that Dixie has basically faded to the background, while Samus is a face of "core" Nintendo.

I find that interesting. Like with Samus for Smash 64, it would take some sort of miracle for Dixie to somehow be added to the roster at this point. Her last major role was all the way back in early 2014, and while she made a new appearance recently (added to the roster in Mario Kart Tour earlier this year), it has been a while since she has last made waves.

At this point, all I can do is wait and see. I am not expecting Dixie to make it onto Ultimate's roster, but I still hope she somehow does.

Smash has been a part of my life since early 1999, and it is peculiar how over 20 years later, one of Nintendo's two biggest heroines at the time still has not made it in. However, at the same time, it is perfectly understandable given the context of how she missed DK64 and how the DK franchise was handled after the Rare buyout (as well as how DK tended to be overlooked as a series in both Melee and Smash 4).

Dixie Kong is dear to me, but I do not feel like doing the level of character support for her that I did for Ridley and Roy. With Dixie, her issue is not possible design issues (like Ridley's size within the Metroid series) or about being worthy to be in (like with Roy), but rather that many simply do not find her interesting for whatever reason. That is why I applaud the artwork produced in this thread. Not only do they display her unique abilities, but also the personality she has.

She has not become a very highly requested character, but she is probably among the Top 5 most wanted Nintendo newcomers, and in general most support her inclusion even if their support of her is tepid. She might even be regarded as the most conspicuous absence at this point. I feel that given the right circumstances, she could have an outpouring of support, though who knows how it would come about though (I originally thought K. Rool being confirmed would be the catalyst for this).

I might share more of the history I have had with Smash in the future if there is an interest in it. Not many remember the pre-Melee hype period, or the anticipation for Brawl (when it was being referred to as Smash 3) prior to E3 2006. I started being involved with the online Smash community in 2001 so there is a lot I have seen that seems to have been largely forgotten.

Very little Nintendo news in general got announced this year, yet there still managed to be a little news pertinent to Dixie (her Mario Kart Tour debut). I do think we will get two more characters for Ultimate confirmed this year (probably one in September and another in December). That would leave the second half of Pass 2 for 2021.

I do enjoy expressing my thoughts and ideas in this thread, and I have said before this one of the few places left I am still a somewhat regular contributor (though I only made five posts so far this year in this thread). Sharing my own personal first experiences with the Smash Bros. series (as well as reading those of others) was enjoyable.

It will be interesting to see what ends up being announced in September. Personally, I am expecting Fighter #77 to finally be unveiled, as well as possibly a full fledged Nintendo Direct (or at the very least some sort of Nintendo software announcement). Unfortunately, I am not expecting much in the way of DK news until next year.

Thank you to all of those that managed to get through reading this post. I hope those that did read through it either got some additional insight or some entertainment value from it.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
and Krystal
And just like how everyone kept pairing Ridley and King K. Rool together in fanarts and speculation and stuff as the Nintendo villains who made a comeback, I could see Dixie being good friends with Krystal as a fellow Rare girl in the future that they both get in together.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I'd say Toon Link, some Villagers, Samus, Inkling, maybe Lucas, Banjo & Kazooie, Sheik, Daisy, Richter, Jigglypuff, Ivysaur, Greninja, Kirby, Falco, Wii Fit, Rosalina, and Terry would all get along well with Dixie. She'd probably crush on regular Link since everyone does, which would infuriate Diddy...who gets uneasy about her around any male blondes as a result, especially Summertime Shulk LMAO. Probably enjoys the rivalries with the Koopalings too. It gets out of hand often but there's no long-term grudges

Unsurprisingly, Dixie probably looks up to Samus but refuses to let Diddy hang out with them if Samus isn't wearing her Power Suit. Diddy and Dixie have a mutual insecurity going on.

ChronoBound ChronoBound another excellent post, thank you. IDK what the speculation scene was like post Melee, as I spent the lead up to Brawl reading IGN and YouTube comments, which were actually far less bitter or toxic in general than they are today for any given subject. I joined Smash Boards after Brawl came out, so an assessment on how different things were would be a good read.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Imagine Rabbid Dixie. (or Rabbid Diddy, Rabbid Funky, etc.)

I heard that Rabbid Diddy and Rabbid Dixie were considered, but Ubisoft felt they were 'too obvious' as picks to accompany Donkey Kong. So Ubisoft went with Cranky instead.

While I would have liked to see Rabbid Diddy and/or Rabbid Dixie, I guess I can sort of understand the reasoning of them being too obvious to join DK, ESPECIALLY Rabbid Diddy.

I think they even mentioned somewhere that Rabbid Tiny, Lanky, and/or Chunky would have felt 'TOO out of left-field' or something.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
And just like how everyone kept pairing Ridley and King K. Rool together in fanarts and speculation and stuff as the Nintendo villains who made a comeback, I could see Dixie being good friends with Krystal as a fellow Rare girl in the future that they both get in together.
Ridley and K. Rool are the big bois, Dixie Kong and Krystal are the Rare gurls. The Rare gurls kicking * and taking names! Yep, they're bad***.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
If Dixie's in the fighters pass, I could see her being featured in fan art with Min Min a lot. They both have blonde bangs, after all!

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
If Dixie were in, what would her Final Smash be?

I don't recall her having any grand attacks, except maybe the Kong-POW!
I always thought it would be just like Yoshi's. Dixie hops on the back of Rambi followed by a stampede of other animal buddies including Ellie, Squitter, Expresso, Winky, Squawks, Quawks, Tawks, hell even throw Hoofer in there as well.

DeniroSerafim

Smash Apprentice
After thinking about it, Crocodile Isle might be the best choice for a stage for Dixie to be included with. Tropical Freeze definitely deserves recognition, but DKC2 is Dixie's debut game, and it barely has any recognition in Smash. I may be biased, but I personally think DKC2 is far too iconic and important to not have a stage. It's really a shame how little variety there is with the collection of DK stages in Smash, honestly all of the DKC games deserve a stage. Still, if I have to pick one for Dixie, I'd go for Crocodile Isle.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
After thinking about it, Crocodile Isle might be the best choice for a stage for Dixie to be included with. Tropical Freeze definitely deserves recognition, but DKC2 is Dixie's debut game, and it barely has any recognition in Smash. I may be biased, but I personally think DKC2 is far too iconic and important to not have a stage. It's really a shame how little variety there is with the collection of DK stages in Smash, honestly all of the DKC games deserve a stage. Still, if I have to pick one for Dixie, I'd go for Crocodile Isle.
Gangplank Galleon at least should've been a stage for K.Rool. Could've represented both DKC1 and DKC2. I have kind of lost hope for that however. The literal best stage for DKC representation has been cut from Smash 4, Jungle Hijinx from DKCR. If such a stage already could be cut, I have little hope for anything else. A frozen moving DK Island based on World 6 of Tropical Freeze would've been my choice, but I'm doubting it now.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I may be biased, but I personally think DKC2 is far too iconic and important to not have a stage.
We may think that, but Nintendo certainly doesn't. Hell, they barely even acknowledge the original DKC sometimes. I think they like to pretend that the classic arcade Donkey Kong is the only DK game that exists.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Well, finally finished my NSO playthrough of DKC1.

So what do you guys think the odds of us getting DKC2 on NSO this month are?

Edit: This post was made before the Mario direct where they released Super Mario All Stars on NSO. I don't know if that interfered with a normal release cycle, but it probably lowered the chances of getting any game this month at least.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I think a choice of 4 iconic DKC2 stages cycled through ala Garreg Mach Monastery could work

Bramble Blast - Basic layout with wooden platforms over brambles with occasional Flitters in the air & Click-Clacks which can be used a throwable weapons
Kannon's Klaim - Vertically oriented stage with cannon balls often being shot and floating arrow barrels appearing
Ghostly Grove - Horizontal focused stage with various platforms reachable via Temporary Ghost Ropes & Kloaks throwing both hazards and occasional items
Hornet Hole - A more enclosed space with honey sections fighters can stick to on the ground or walls while Zingers as a recurring hazard

smashkirby

Smash Hero
We may think that, but Nintendo certainly doesn't. Hell, they barely even acknowledge the original DKC sometimes. I think they like to pretend that the classic arcade Donkey Kong is the only DK game that exists.
Considering all of the speculation I've heard regarding 'Super DK', I wonder if Nintendo (STILL) holds some grudge against Rare for essentially upstaging them...

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Idk man maybe Nintendo a few years back was like that but I feel recently Nintendo is embracing Rare's DK legacy more and more:

- King K.Rool in Smash along with remixes of Snakey Chantey, Crocodile Cacaphony, Gangplank Galleon, and Map/Bonus Stage along with Ice Cave Chant and Funky Fugue. Also a Klaptrap assist trophy. Is it as amazing of a tracklist as it could be? No but its sure as hell a lot better than what we got in previous Smash games.

- DKC references in Super Mario Odyssey. New Donk City is littered with DKC references from Dixie to K.Rool to Rattly the Rattlesnake.

- Diddy, Dixie, and Funky Kong in Mario Kart Tour. Even though the game is doo-doo battered buttcheeks it was still awesome to see them added along with the Rambi Rider. Hell both Rambi Rider and Dixie got celebratory history videos along with their reveals.

- Rabbids: Donkey Kong Adventure DLC. While not as deep into the DKC lore I had hoped it still had a ton of Rare fanservice. Of course with Grant Kirkhope composing we got 2 amazing orchestrated remixes of DK Isle and Army Dillo battles from DK64. Their was also weapons based off Rambi, Enguarde, Expresso, and Winky in the game. Also Rabbid Cranky is a thing.

- Banjo-Kazooie in Smash. While not 100% DK related the reveal trailer was a love letter to Rare and DKC fans.

- Diddy being added back into more Mario spin-offs like Super Mario Party and Mario Tennis Aces after being absent from them for a little while.

- DKC being added to Switch Online and Nintendo once again posting a special video along with it. DKC ended up trending on twitter.

- Tropical Freeze being ported to Switch with the press release saying "The Franchise's Debut" implying its not the only DK related project coming to Switch.

- DK getting his own land at Super Nintendo World. Though the amount of classic Rare DKC that will be at the park remains to be seen. Though based on concept art it seems to be based on Returns.

So IMO Nintendo is doing a lot better at acknowledging Rare's legacy nowadays they are just doing it at a snails pace and it wont be truly complete until we get a brand new DK game on Switch with multiple kongs, animal buddies, and K.Rool and the Kremlings as the main antagonists again.

Last edited:

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Idk man maybe Nintendo a few years back was like that but I feel recently Nintendo is embracing Rare's DK legacy more and more:

- King K.Rool in Smash along with remixes of Snakey Chantey, Crocodile Cacaphony, Gangplank Galleon, and Map/Bonus Stage along with Ice Cave Chant and Funky Fugue. Also a Klaptrap assist trophy. Is it as amazing of a tracklist as it could be? No but its sure as hell a lot better than what we got in previous Smash games.

- DKC references in Super Mario Odyssey. New Donk City is littered with DKC references from Dixie to K.Rool to Rattly the Rattlesnake.

- Diddy, Dixie, and Funky Kong in Mario Kart Tour. Even though the game is doo-doo battered buttcheeks it was still awesome to see them added along with the Rambi Rider. Hell both Rambi Rider and Dixie got celebratory history videos along with their reveals.

- Rabbids: Donkey Kong Adventure DLC. While not as deep into the DKC lore I had hoped it still had a ton of Rare fanservice. Of course with Grant Kirkhope composing we got 2 amazing orchestrated remixes of DK Isle and Army Dillo battles from DK64. Their was also weapons based off Rambi, Enguarde, Expresso, and Winky in the game. Also Rabbid Cranky is a thing.

- Banjo-Kazooie in Smash. While not 100% DK related the reveal trailer was a love letter to Rare and DKC fans.

- Diddy being added back into more Mario spin-offs like Super Mario Party and Mario Tennis Aces after being absent from them for a little while.

- DKC being added to Switch Online and Nintendo once again posting a special video along with it. DKC ended up trending on twitter.

- Tropical Freeze being ported to Switch with the press release saying "The Franchise's Debut" implying its not the only DK related project coming to Switch.

- DK getting his own land at Super Nintendo World. Though the amount of classic Rare DKC that will be at the park remains to be seen. Though based on concept art it seems to be based on Returns.

So IMO Nintendo is doing a lot better at acknowledging Rare's legacy nowadays they are just doing it at a snails pace and it wont be truly complete until we get a brand new DK game on Switch with multiple kongs, animal buddies, and K.Rool and the Kremlings as the main antagonists again.
Maybe, but who knows when we will get a proper DKC game on the Switch.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
By the way, will post about this on the Twitter soon, but the Dixie for Smash Tumblr is now open.

https://dixieforsmash.tumblr.com/

You can find some of the gifs used on the twitter on there. I will upload new gifs and old gifs I still need to upload as time passes.

The "likes" tab also catalogs various Donkey Kong (mostly Dixie Kong) related artworks on the site.

Some gifs can even be used to combat misinformation on the internet, such as any claims by the #WrinklyNeverDied movement.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Well, finally finished my NSO playthrough of DKC1.

So what do you guys think the odds of us getting DKC2 on NSO this month are?
My hopes are for it to release with whatever DKC game is upcoming. The rumours of the Mario 3D remakes and other Mario remakes coming have come out to be true. So am thinking the rumours about Donkey Kong getting some grand revival are true as well. At least, am hoping that.

To be real honest with you all, I want a new Donkey Kong game above having Dixie in Ultimate. Both is a bonus, but I have a clear preference.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
So interesting tidbit, Pikmin 3 is apparently back on the Wii U Eshop for it's Nintendo Selects $20 price tag and all after being removed following the announcement of Pikmin 3 Deluxe. This was most likely because of backlash from the fanbase for what was seen as a relatively petty move. Why am I posting this here? Cause the only other game that got this treatment before was DKC Tropical Freeze, which was years back when the $60 Funky version was announced.

But Tropical Freeze didn't get put back.

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Don't forget that it's been a year that the 2nd Fighters Pass was announced. Hopefully something will come soon which I have a feeling that we'll get a character this month.
I honestly thought we were gonna get a new character announced during the 35th anniversary Mario direct. I thought after the 3D All-Stars reveal they were gonna cut to a Smash trailer because the video had like 4 minutes left in it. I thought for sure we were gonna get one of the following characters announced: Waluigi, Geno, Pauline, Paper Mario, Captain Toad, or King Boo. But alas we just got a Super Mario Medley Retrospective. Lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom