• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
On another note, the title of the thread's a bit off. Lsst instead of Last. Whoops.

And hopefully more DK news~ Though I'm just glad Dixie Kong made it to Mario Kart. A lot of characters have(including Pauline and Captain Toad. I'm just waiting for Dr. Mario to be in it too, who really has no reason not to considering the palette swap character madness it's undergone).

DeniroSerafim

Smash Apprentice
It honestly boggles my mind that Dixie still isn't in Smash after all these years. I remember playing Brawl and thinking she would be in the next game for sure, hell when I was just a kid playing Melee I thought she had a great chance then considering she got a trophy and Diddy didn't. Nintendo's treatment of the DK IP over the years has been so frustrating, even if things are looking better now. Honestly I'm gonna end up being really disappointed if she doesn't end up playable by the end of this fighter pass. Call me entitled all you want, it doesn't change how I feel, and I know I'm not alone in feeling this way.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
The fact Diddy never had a trophy in Melee is a testimony to me that he was meant to be playable. Remember Event Match 2 in Melee? You fight a Giant DK and a smaller one, with a red colour pallete swap. To me, this was another hint. Diddy likely got cut early on in development, but I also saw a rumor once where Sakurai seemingly stated he cut Diddy because he wasn't satisfied with his moveset. Or something.

Anyways, I believe we are stuck in this situation with DK being treated like this in Smash because of how late Diddy entered Smash. Because before Brawl, we ALL had to rally for Diddy first. Next after, it was King K.Rool who got the most attention, understandingly. We even had this bitter Dixie vs K.Rool rivalry, it was so terrible that I widrew myself from the mainlines of support of both characters. Banjo also understandingly got more attention than Dixie, and that's how we're here, asking for a character who would make an extremely logical pick.

If it where to me, Diddy would've already been in Smash 64. Melee would introduce us K.Rool, and in Brawl we'd get Dixie, maybe as a Diddy semiclone because Brawl had a few semiclone newcomers as Wolf and Lucas. Maybe Funky could've been an Echo in Ultimate even.... I'm pretty sure this has already happened in another timeline.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
A lot of the Donkey Kong series' relative position in Smash comes down to timing. If DK 64 comes out before the first game, DK's moveset is probably different. If Melee isn't a launch title with more time for development, then Diddy possibly gets in then. If a high profile Dixie game like Tropical Freeze comes out a year earlier, then maybe the Smash 4 team has time and/or an interest to implement here then. DK in general just had the bad fortune of being in a weaker overall position during that aughts decade Smash when really rose up in popularity.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
A lot of the Donkey Kong series' relative position in Smash comes down to timing. If DK 64 comes out before the first game, DK's moveset is probably different. If Melee isn't a launch title with more time for development, then Diddy possibly gets in then. If a high profile Dixie game like Tropical Freeze comes out a year earlier, then maybe the Smash 4 team has time and/or an interest to implement here then. DK in general just had the bad fortune of being in a weaker overall position during that aughts decade Smash when really rose up in popularity.
The timing was extremely poor for Melee. It was rushed, to be released with the launch of the GameCube. But DK64 was still very recent by then. It should've influenced the moveset of DK more. But it didn't. In general DK could go for a slight moveset overhaul, but it doesn't work that he doesn't get anything new to base him off from...

I believe Diddy was intended for Melee, as stated before. Yet, it wasn't clear if Diddy Kong was still Nintendo property back then. During the Rare buyout, Rare tried to get access to their own created DKC Kongs and other characters from DKC, they lost. Maybe it was a factor? Tho, why where there Rare items as the Cloaking Device and Proxy Mine ? Why where they're DKC trophies as Dixie and K.Rool? The DK Rap?

It still doesn't make sense. But! I'm certain it's mostly because of this thing with Melee.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
The fact Diddy never had a trophy in Melee is a testimony to me that he was meant to be playable. Remember Event Match 2 in Melee? You fight a Giant DK and a smaller one, with a red colour pallete swap. To me, this was another hint. Diddy likely got cut early on in development, but I also saw a rumor once where Sakurai seemingly stated he cut Diddy because he wasn't satisfied with his moveset. Or something.

Anyways, I believe we are stuck in this situation with DK being treated like this in Smash because of how late Diddy entered Smash. Because before Brawl, we ALL had to rally for Diddy first. Next after, it was King K.Rool who got the most attention, understandingly. We even had this bitter Dixie vs K.Rool rivalry, it was so terrible that I widrew myself from the mainlines of support of both characters. Banjo also understandingly got more attention than Dixie, and that's how we're here, asking for a character who would make an extremely logical pick.

If it where to me, Diddy would've already been in Smash 64. Melee would introduce us K.Rool, and in Brawl we'd get Dixie, maybe as a Diddy semiclone because Brawl had a few semiclone newcomers as Wolf and Lucas. Maybe Funky could've been an Echo in Ultimate even.... I'm pretty sure this has already happened in another timeline.
THIS. I have theorized the same thing for years as how they the hell K. Rool and Dixie got trophies in Melee but Diddy didn't? "Time constraints!" Well, why the less important characters got trophies over the co-protagonist? It doesn't make sense even regarding in the cut Rare trophies. A playable Diddy getting cut makes the most sense to me as to why he didn't get a trophy in Melee as there was no excuse otherwise unless they took their pretty time working on a playable Diddy only to drop him and his trophy and cut him from development.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
THIS. I have theorized the same thing for years as how they the hell K. Rool and Dixie got trophies in Melee but Diddy didn't? "Time constraints!" Well, why the less important characters got trophies over the co-protagonist? It doesn't make sense even regarding in the cut Rare trophies. A playable Diddy getting cut makes the most sense to me as to why he didn't get a trophy in Melee as there was no excuse otherwise unless they took their pretty time working on a playable Diddy only to drop him and his trophy and cut him from development.
Glad to see am not the only one thinking this! I think this, and the Forbidden 7 are the most valid Smash "conspiracies" there are around. And a couple more..but I never really see people talk about it. Because Diddy made it the game afterwards I think? Remember how on the Smash Brawl Dojo Sakurai even stated that Diddy's arrival in Brawl was a little late? I always interpreted it as Sakurai apologizing for Diddy not being in Smash earlier. He had every reason to be in Melee. If not for DKC2, then for DK64 or Diddy Kong Racing.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
If/when any information from Melee betas/prototypes gets found via the gigaleak, I suspect a great deal of our narratives/assumptions about Smash will fundamentally change.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Glad to see am not the only one thinking this! I think this, and the Forbidden 7 are the most valid Smash "conspiracies" there are around. And a couple more..but I never really see people talk about it. Because Diddy made it the game afterwards I think? Remember how on the Smash Brawl Dojo Sakurai even stated that Diddy's arrival in Brawl was a little late? I always interpreted it as Sakurai apologizing for Diddy not being in Smash earlier. He had every reason to be in Melee. If not for DKC2, then for DK64 or Diddy Kong Racing.
I wasn't around for Brawl speculation as the first time I entered Smash speculation was during 4. But yeah, hopefully if they dig anything up from Melee in the Giga leak we will know whether or not if our conspiracy theory about Diddy is true or not. When they start digging into the Melee source code we will know shortly after.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I wasn't around for Brawl speculation as the first time I entered Smash speculation was during 4. But yeah, hopefully if they dig anything up from Melee in the Giga leak we will know whether or not if our conspiracy theory about Diddy is true or not. When they start digging into the Melee source code we will know shortly after.
I've seen this Giga leak being discussed all the time, but what is it really ? I've seen the "Super Donkey" stuff, but not anything else so far. Except rumors of Luigi also being planned for being a playable character in Super Mario 64 being confirmed to be true.

Brawl speculation was wild though. Most of the most wanted characters from that time are just about confirmed now. Except for Geno, and Crono. Cloud and Mega Man where also very popular in that day. Ridley support was even banned at one point because of extreme flammability of the support group. The Diddy group was extremely chill, and all eventually became the new Kuttroaths. Speaking of, am thinking of giving that thread a visit!

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I've seen this Giga leak being discussed all the time, but what is it really ? I've seen the "Super Donkey" stuff, but not anything else so far. Except rumors of Luigi also being planned for being a playable character in Super Mario 64 being confirmed to be true.
So a hacker hacked into Nintendo's servers and stoled a bunch of **** and dumped it online on a 4chan post. Source codes and beta prototypes from a lot of the big games from the 90s have already been dumped out of this gigantic Giga leak. There is still more they're digging out of the files. Zelda 64 the beta version of Ocarina of Time is in the leak and they have dumped models from that early N64DD version of OOT. For example:

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
So a hacker hacked into Nintendo's servers and stoled a bunch of **** and dumped it online on a 4chan post. Source codes and beta prototypes from a lot of the big games from the 90s have already been dumped out of this gigantic Giga leak. There is still more they're digging out of the files. Zelda 64 the beta version of Ocarina of Time is in the leak and they have dumped models from that early N64DD version of OOT.
And that's some of it. That's not even getting into various scrapped/prototype elements of Yoshi's Island (well after Super Donkey) are there, the earliest version of Pilotwings, a prototype of Castlevania IV, beta elements of Super Mario Kart & Mario Kart 64, basically everything that made up Star Fox & Star Fox 2, uncompressed vocal audio for SF64, just to name a few.

In terms of sheer content, its one of (if not the) most significant source leaks in history. and that's simply what we have now. There's rumors/speculation that the total dump was 2TB worth of data, and more is to come in increments. Even if that's not the case, and what we have is all we'll get, there's still a ton of exploration being done right now of what came out. One need only look up on Twitter to see the daily discoveries people are making.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
And that's some of it. That's not even getting into various scrapped/prototype elements of Yoshi's Island (well after Super Donkey) are there, the earliest version of Pilotwings, a prototype of Castlevania IV, beta elements of Super Mario Kart & Mario Kart 64, basically everything that made up Star Fox & Star Fox 2, uncompressed vocal audio for SF64, just to name a few.

In terms of sheer content, its one of (if not the) most significant source leaks in history. and that's simply what we have yet. There's rumors/speculation that the total dump was 2TB worth of data, and more is to come in increments. Even if that's not the case, and what we have is all we'll get, there's still a ton of exploration being done right now of what came out. One need only look up on Twitter to see the daily discoveries people are making.
I know, I check Twitter every hour to look at any updates. I really hope Earthbound 64 get's dumped.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Lion's Gate is in full effect I see. Funny how it also influences the video game world... Never would've expect that.

I'm curious if there's also a Dixie or Kiddy beta version of DK64. Am pretty sure they where at least considered for DK64.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Lion's Gate is in full effect I see. Funny how it also influences the video game world... Never would've expect that.

I'm curious if there's also a Dixie or Kiddy beta version of DK64. Am pretty sure they where at least considered for DK64.
I'm pretty sure we won't be seeing anything DKC related in the Giga leak as I Imagine Rare has those files and not Nintendo. Even if Nintendo owns those files, I imagine the source code for all the Rare DKC games are still back at Rare HQ.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
As far as Rare files/codes, I can't predict definitely one way or another. I mean a British company like Argonaut had their files from SF1 and 2 in the data dump (so much so that programmer Dylan Cuthbert was flabbergasted on Twitter to see that the leak included an obscure tool program he once used for the latter), so deep elements from Rare may not be a complete impossibility.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
With NSO DKC, while I initially just got 101% on my first file in a couple hours-ish and moved on, I recently went back to it to play online with a friend, and it's surprisingly a fun if not almost completely different experience. Had forgotten what it was like playing something like that with another person I guess. Up to this point, I had also slept on the online features of NES and SNES for Switch, though happy for DKC to have been the first thing I played cooperatively with a friend on there, followed by other stuff.

Since I'd been the host for this two player adventure run, I've had to be exclusively DK while my friend's been Diddy, which I have to say is a interesting challenging experience, being limited to the one who can't run as fast or jump as far, and having a harder time getting into some of the bonus rooms because of the way DK holds/throws barrels compared to Diddy. It's like I'm relearning the game in a sense.

This also makes me more excited for DKC2 whenever it should be added to Switch SNES; seeing what it'll be like for me when I eventually play with someone as I'm not cheesing through it in part with Dixie spins. Am sure the game just being on the NSO service will make more people like/appreciate her more again too, not to mention if/whenever DKC3 is added.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
With NSO DKC, while I initially just got 101% on my first file in a couple hours-ish and moved on, I recently went back to it to play online with a friend, and it's surprisingly a fun if not almost completely different experience. Had forgotten what it was like playing something like that with another person I guess. Up to this point, I had also slept on the online features of NES and SNES for Switch, though happy for DKC to have been the first thing I played cooperatively with a friend on there, followed by other stuff.

Since I'd been the host for this two player adventure run, I've had to be exclusively DK while my friend's been Diddy, which I have to say is a interesting challenging experience, being limited to the one who can't run as fast or jump as far, and having a harder time getting into some of the bonus rooms because of the way DK holds/throws barrels compared to Diddy. It's like I'm relearning the game in a sense.

This also makes me more excited for DKC2 whenever it should be added to Switch SNES; seeing what it'll be like for me when I eventually play with someone as I'm not cheesing through it in part with Dixie spins. Am sure the game just being on the NSO service will make more people like/appreciate her more again too, not to mention if/whenever DKC3 is added.
Honestly, I never cared for 101% clearing the original DKC. There's no real reward in doing so. But I would always play it as Diddy regardless. Same with DKC2. It's just an habit, and I can't stand the slower Kongs, even Dixie goes too slow for my taste. DKC3 isn't as bad, it's overall pacing is way slower, but with the other two games, leading as Diddy is a must for me.

And I haven't said it for a long time, and I'll say it again now, I wish the Retro DKC games used a tag team system more similar to the Rare DKC games. In terms of multiplayer mode, it was great in Returns, but a mess in Tropical Freeze with all the switching.

I wouldn't object to another Retro DKC game, not at all. Especially with the Kremlings returning. But, I kind of wish for something else as a 3D adventure game, based on exploration and a nice team based combat system with huge emphasis on team strategy of the Kong's unique abilities. That would be an ideal DK game for me.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Speaking of the Giga leak, while they haven't dumped it, they found DK and Wart in SM64's source code. That's right, Luigi wasn't the only one that was suppose to make appearance in SM64. I imagine DK would make a small cameo appearance like Yoshi and Wart would have been a boss because I don't see him greeting Mario.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Speaking of the Giga leak, while they haven't dumped it, they foumd DK and Wart in SM64's source code. That's right, Luigi wasn't the only that suppose to make appea in SM64. I imagine DK would make a small cameo appearance like Yoshi and Wart would have been a boss because I don't see him greeting Mario.
Wart as a boss would've been amazing. DK as a cameo would work well. Imagine what could've resulted from this... More DK appearances in Mario games from that point? Damn. That would probably change a LOT of things for our franchise. Maybe even for the better ...

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Wart as a boss would've been amazing. DK as a cameo would work well. Imagine what could've resulted from this... More DK appearances in Mario games from that point? Damn. That would probably change a LOT of things for our franchise. Maybe even for the better ...
I wonder where DK and Wart would be in the game though.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Speaking of the Giga leak, while they haven't dumped it, they found DK and Wart in SM64's source code. That's right, Luigi wasn't the only one that was suppose to make appearance in SM64. I imagine DK would make a small cameo appearance like Yoshi and Wart would have been a boss because I don't see him greeting Mario.
Its weird how many times DK has been leaked/rumored/cut to appear in 3D Mario games. First we heard DK was suppose to cameo in Galaxy 2, then modern DK was rumored to appear in Odyssey in New Donk City and now it was leaked DK was going to cameo in SM64. Instead of constant DK cameos Nintendo how about just make more DK games or give DK another crack at 3D.

Handy Man

Smash Ace
I would really like to see a brand new take on 3D Donkey Kong. I personally love DK64, but I know some people understandably get turned off from how much stuff you have to collect in that game. I think a more linear DK 3D platformer that’s sort of like Sonic Adventure 1, with its hub worlds and levels with different routes, would be an interesting direction to take the series.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Am I the only one who felt Dixie's run in the classic games looked really strange?

I hope if she's in, they give her the more modern one.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Am I the only one who felt Dixie's run in the classic games looked really strange?

I hope if she's in, they give her the more modern one.
Not as strange as DK's. He runs like a horse. Dixie is more ape-like. But only Diddy seemed to run naturally. And know why? You're not supposed to even run with those slower Kongs. DK and Dixie are for the slow approach in the DKC games ;D

Seriously though, I'm eagerly awaiting DKC2 for NSO. DKC1 gave me thirst for it. Extreme thirst. I literally HAVE to play DKC2 after DKC1 always. That has always been a "thing" for me. But I think I'll go for another DKC1 run.

TropicalBreeze

Smash Apprentice
I recall the old Rare devs mentioning that they went to a zoo to see how gorillas ran but the gorillas just sat around the whole time, and when they did move they did so slowly. So they based DK's run on a galloping horse instead.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Some of you might enjoy this.
Anyone who enjoyed the DKC OST's really needs to check this guy's stuff out. Sam Miller's basically done remastered versions of every song from the trilogy's soundtrack and they're tremendous, revealing instrumental work I didn't even know was there. My dream remake is an HD widescreen version of all three games with this music as an optional soundtrack.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Been replaying Tropical Freeze from the beginning. It's REALLY impressive how intricate the levels are; the way the foreground, midground and background elements are integrated always surprise me. I really appreciate how Retro made the settings feel like a living, breathing world instead of some contrived obstacle course. Sometimes I long to explore the backgrounds, like the water temples of Sea Breeze Cove or the machinery of Fruity Factory.

Ah, if we could get a 3D DK as intricately designed as Retro's it would be something special...The environment design would be excellent.

Top Bottom