• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
You guys, be positive! These new characters are the wild west! It could be anything! If it can be anything, we've got a hell of a shot!

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Don't ask me how, but I somehow came in here thinking it was the RTC thread.

That said, more characters should hopefully give Dixie her chance. Given it was implied that it wouldn't be another pass, I have a feeling we might not be getting more stages.

Which is perfect for characters like Dixie and Bandana Dee! (the other "Last" Nintendo All-Star, along with arguably a few Mario characters)

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Don't ask me how, but I somehow came in here thinking it was the RTC thread.

That said, more characters should hopefully give Dixie her chance. Given it was implied that it wouldn't be another pass, I have a feeling we might not be getting more stages.

Which is perfect for characters like Dixie and Bandana Dee! (the other "Last" Nintendo All-Star, along with arguably a few Mario characters)
Honestly in theory, the only series that have the least potential for stages are Mario and Zelda, since they are pretty much the only veteran first party series that actually got new stages in Ultimate. Literally every other veteran series relies exclusively on retro stages. We just don't mind because of the shear bulk of them, since we get 95% of the actual stages from previous games. Both DK and Kirby are incredibly ripe for new stages, they've each had plenty of new games since they've last gotten them in Smash 4.

Of course in practice they would want to allocate resources for new stages for new franchises and there are a limited amount of stages left.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Honestly in theory, the only series that have the least potential for stages are Mario and Zelda, since they are pretty much the only veteran first party series that actually got new stages in Ultimate. Literally every other veteran series relies exclusively on retro stages. We just don't mind because of the shear bulk of them, since we get 95% of the actual stages from previous games. Both DK and Kirby are incredibly ripe for new stages, they've each had plenty of new games since they've last gotten them in Smash 4.

Of course in practice they would want to allocate resources for new stages for new franchises and there are a limited amount of stages left.
I completely agree there's a lot of untapped potential with stages. Especially since DK and Kirby don't have anything from 64 era onward (and that's only on the naming technicality, Jungle Japes is incredibly vague for DK 64)

But I just have my doubts, it seems like they future proofed for a lot of characters, but not for stages.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
You guys, be positive! These new characters are the wild west! It could be anything! If it can be anything, we've got a hell of a shot!
Positivity is what might save Dixie in the end.

I remember the days when rooting for Banjo and Rool were seen as a hopeless, delusional joke and their fans branded as laughingstocks. Who's laughing now?

You want to be negative, believe that she can't make it in and resign, then she doesn't get in, cause no one's talking about her.

You want to scream towards the heavens like Banjo/Rool fans, believe with all your might, maybe, just maybe, it'll hit the ears of just the right people.

Last edited:

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
Y'all should plug the hell out of the Twitter, lol. I've gotta be honest, I've lost a lot of passion for running that account lately, but it's always fun to make a new tweet now and then whenever I can think of something relevant. I would really like for someone to co-run the account with me, maybe someone who's still just as excited about Smash Bros as they were back in August 2018, so that the account can be more consistent.

StormC

Smash Hero
God, I hope Dixie makes it into season 2 somehow. Third time's the charm with Rareware characters in Ultimate... :ultkrool::ultbanjokazooie::ultdixie:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Dixie is probably the front-runner of Nintendo characters after Rex & Pyra and some Gen 8 Pokémon.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Dixie is probably the front-runner of Nintendo characters after Rex & Pyra and some Gen 8 Pokémon.
I think the front-runner of Nintendo characters right now is Bandana Dee because he is always insanely high in the polls notably top 3 and probably did extremely well in the Smash Ballot. Hell, with Banjo & Kazooie in now Dee is probably the most highly requested character or at least the 2nd most requested character.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I think the front-runner of Nintendo characters right now is Bandana Dee because he is always insanely high in the polls notably top 3 and probably did extremely well in the Smash Ballot. Hell, with Banjo & Kazooie in now Dee is probably the most highly requested character or at least the 2nd most requested character.
And now its our job to make Dixie that front runner. Regardless, a lot of it actually hinges on Assist Trophies, I think Isaac or Waluigi could probably take Dee if they were included. Also the status of whether Geno counts as a "Nintendo" character is would probably affect things too.

Last edited:

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
As much as Im losing hope for Dixie as Nintendo seems to want every 3rd party franchise known to man to be represented in Smash Bros. in one way or another. I just cant see Dixie making it especially after what Sakurai said in the Banjo presentation.

If I was in Nintendo's shoes I would be using the next set of DLC characters to promote Nintendo franchises. Think about it. Switch while a great system lacks franchise variety BADLY. Just look at what was announced today during the Direct. Another Xenoblade game, another Fire Emblem related title (even if just a port), another Kirby game (even if it is a F2P game). Were about to get ANOTHER Zelda game with Link's Awakening with another probably coming next holiday with BOTW2. So what Im getting at the smaller Nintendo franchises will HAVE to be coming around the same time the new DLC fighters are developed. Unless of course Nintendo decides to just keep making only Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Xenoblade, New IP's, and Kirby games for the rest of the Switch's lifecycle with the occasional bone thrown like MP4 and AC:NH. So IMO the DLC COULD possibly coincide with future Nintendo releases. So if a new DK game is in development obviously Dixie could be a choice, Sylux for MP4 obviously, etc.

But I have a feeling its just 3rd parties yet again..

ze9

Smash Ace
This is Smash Bros. Ultimate, not Smash Bros. Pretty Good. Dixie is getting in!

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
This is Smash Bros. Ultimate, not Smash Bros. Pretty Good. Dixie is getting in!
Yup, it will never be Ultimate without Dixie!

Found in another thread:
I think you guys are clinging to this "new worlds" statement too much. He was just closing out his presentation (which was ad libbed afaik), and wanted to say that smash is going to add more characters from all over the place. Speculating based off of a single vague sentence seems hasty.

Last edited:

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133

Found in another thread:
Are we clinging though? Remember when people said the same thing about Reggie's comments at The Game Awards and I had people telling me "You dont know if it will only be 3rd party" and yet look what happened..

Trust me I would LOVE to be wrong but I go off with what Nintendo tells me and usually 90% of the time they aren't lying and my assumptions are proven correct.

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133

Found in another thread:
Are we clinging though? Remember when people said the same thing about Reggie's comments at The Game Awards and I had people telling me "You dont know if it will only be 3rd party" and yet look what happened..

Trust me I would LOVE to be wrong but I go off with what Nintendo tells me and usually 90% of the time they aren't lying and my assumptions are proven correct.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

Game Awards was after Joker was already revealed. We don’t know anything about the characters releasing post Fighter’s Pass.

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Game Awards was after Joker was already revealed. We don’t know anything about the characters releasing post Fighter’s Pass.
Yes I know that but there were STILL people saying on this site and others "wait and see their could still be 1st parties part of the pass" hell I could probably go pages back and find people in this very thread saying that..

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
The fact that he literally chose DK and Diddy to do the demonstration with also helped.

Also it's hilarious that Sans and Dixie are now on the same ground (along with Rex). Hopefully Dixie won't stay there for long!
To be honest if anything Sans might even be a little ahead now since Dixie only got a hat. With any luck Dixie's chance to advance past that will come this very game.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
With how Nintendo seems to be putting more emphasis on donkey kong, such as reviving King K Rool and even having a dedicated mini section at the upcoming Nintendo Land at Universal, I think Dixie has a pretty fair chance. If not; she will absolutely get in the next game I feel. Predicting a major cut back on the third parties and rounding out the roster with more nintendo exclusives as a selling point.

Kritter

Smash Cadet
I'm cautiously optimistic.

On the one hand: Sakurai said he wants to bring in more worlds with the new fighters, which (unless it's a bad translation or a meaningless phrase) seems to suggest all 3rd-parties again. And I can see why he would want to do this: he's already made videogame history but can just keep making it so that there will never be another videogame to ever top this crossover.

On the other hand, if he really wants to go all out on this game, hopefully he will finally finish old scrapped ideas. So we could see people like Dixie, Mach Rider, etc. Further, Dixie isn't an AT or Mii yet (unlike Skull Kid and Sans). Further, if the new fighters don't get stages, she doesn't need one.

As awesome as the game already is, I will forever be disappointed if Dixie doesn't get to hang with this incredible character list. In some ways, if she isn't going to get in, I wish there wouldn't be more fighters because that will just make it seem worse when she's not in. On the other hand, I'm hopeful that we could still get 10 more characters and that Sakurai keeps making them until the Switch is dead, and Dixie finally makes it.

I was shocked that DK was nowhere in the Direct. I thought for sure they would announce a new game. I wonder if the absence of the trilogy in the SNES app is pointing to them being included in a Rare Replay port, or if they just have licensing issues and will show up later (if I remember correctly they were pulled early from the Wii store and took a while to get onto the Wii U store). Hopefully a new game gets announce next year and Dixie will get in Smash as marketing.

Another idea I had was that, for 1st party characters, I would be happy if they come with the last OLD stages if they don't want to make new ones. Like, Dixie could come with the DKCR stage, Sylux could come with Planet Zebes, Toad could come with Mushroom Kingdom (Melee), etc.

Anyway, my last 3rd party wants are: Crash Bandicoot, Spyro, Rayman, Bomberman. I'm hoping Crash and Rayman might be real possibilities.

cybersai

Smash Ace
I think a problem is most expect more third party characters, plus the Switch itself has no current gen 1st party reps. Sakurai apologized about Rex not making it and made Spring Man an Assist. There's still Gen 8 Pokemon, new Fire Emblem character, etc. and other current gen characters to compete with.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
On the one hand: Sakurai said he wants to bring in more worlds with the new fighters, which (unless it's a bad translation or a meaningless phrase) seems to suggest all 3rd-parties again.
PushDustin has stated that it is a bad translation.

R O F L

Smash Ace
I'm fairly certain the success of the inclusion of K. Rool is enough to convince the development team to add another Donkey Kong character (which would obviously be Dixie Kong).

The amount of publicity K. Rool got after his reveal showed them how many fans of K. Rool, and Donkey Kong Country, play Smash. So them adding Dixie Kong, a iconic, popular, and fan-favorite character from the same franchise would likely give the DLC a lot of publicity from fans of K. Rool, who are still talking about his inclusion in Smash.

While a Dixie Kong reveal wouldn't be as big as K. Rool's reveal, most fans of K. Rool and Donkey Kong Country, who we already know make up a large portion of the fanbase, are likely to buy and publicize a DLC with Dixie Kong seeing that they're both popular characters from the same franchise. Especially since a good chunk of K. Rool's support came from people wanting more DKC representation, not just K. Rool.

Also, Dixie Kong got a enhanceable spirit, a mii hat, and was one of the most popular votes in the Japanese ballot. So she is probably isn't out of the developer's scope of new characters to add.

She could also work with a new DKC game (or a HD trilogy) release. As a some-what of a promotional character.

The big question right now is if the future DLC is going to have 1st party characters .

Sakurai said he wants to bring in more worlds with the new fighters
I know he said this, but did he say it again in yesterday's direct/presentation?

I was shocked that DK was nowhere in the Direct. I thought for sure they would announce a new game. I wonder if the absence of the trilogy in the SNES app is pointing to them being included in a Rare Replay port, or if they just have licensing issues and will show up later (if I remember correctly they were pulled early from the Wii store and took a while to get onto the Wii U store). Hopefully a new game gets announce next year and Dixie will get in Smash as marketing.
This is likely because they were focusing on games coming out this year. Which is why there pretty much weren't any 1st party games revealed for next year.
DKC is too large of a franchise to have a main-line game come out within 4 months of the games reveal. Nintendo would market it more than that.

Dixie isn't an AT or Mii yet (unlike Skull Kid and Sans).

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
PushDustin has stated that it is a bad translation.
I'm guessing this is the tweet you're referring to.
I’ll just embed it here.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
With the Sans costume bringing Megalovania, it would be great for standalone characters to bring music, even if they don't have a stage.

Slap some DKC3 and Tropical Freeze music on a Dixie character pack and bam.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
More DLC gives me hope Dixie can actually make it again

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
With the Sans costume bringing Megalovania, it would be great for standalone characters to bring music, even if they don't have a stage.

Slap some DKC3 and Tropical Freeze music on a Dixie character pack and bam.
they did that with Corrin in Smash 4; they came with two versions of the Fire Emblem Fates theme that went on the Coliseum stage. I'm sure they could easily do that with Dixie.

Justin Little

Smash Ace
Add Dixie Kong with a Funky Kong echo, bring back the Returns stage with a Tropical Freeze twist to it (stage transformations be damned), plus add more music from DKC2, 3, and TF.

Boom! Profit.

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
they did that with Corrin in Smash 4; they came with two versions of the Fire Emblem Fates theme that went on the Coliseum stage. I'm sure they could easily do that with Dixie.
Only TWO!? I know Im being greedy especially because DK got the best remixes this Smash with Crocodile Cacaphony, Map Page/Bonus Level, Snakey Chantey, DK/DK Jr. Medley, and of course Gangplank Galleon. Thats still just the tip of the iceburg. With the success of the Banjo remixes by Grant Kirkhope. I hope Sakurai decides to contact David Wise to make a few arrangements with Dixie's possible inclusion. Hell even though Dixie wasn't in DK64 I wouldn't mind if Sakurai asked Kirkhope to come back and make a DK64 remix since that game has no musical representation other than the butchered to hell DK Rap..

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
In DK128, Dixie Kong can put chewed bubblegum on the tip of her ponytail. This allows Dixie Kong to catch projectiles or other enemies with her hair, which she can then throw.

She can also hang from the ceiling by the tip of her bubblegum-covered ponytail. She can swing while stuck to the ceiling as if she were on a vine.

There is a Kremling who carries a stack of items and frequently drops some. They are called Klutz.

DX_E

Smash Apprentice
In DK128, Dixie Kong can put chewed bubblegum on the tip of her ponytail. This allows Dixie Kong to catch projectiles or other enemies with her hair, which she can then throw.

She can also hang from the ceiling by the tip of her bubblegum-covered ponytail. She can swing while stuck to the ceiling as if she were on a vine.

There is a Kremling who carries a stack of items and frequently drops some. They are called Klutz.
Haha, putting gum in her hair sounds like a bad idea!! :laugh: She'd have to freeze and cut her hair to get it out!!

But I like the concept of sticking to the ceiling... how about a banana juice that turns her hair to gum for some amount of time? Reminds me of the sticky honey levels in DKC2.

I think she'd be able to catch & throw projectiles/enemies with her normal hair anyway...

R O F L

Smash Ace
This has already been done a thousand times, but I decided to make my own moveset for Dixie Kong.

Stats:

Run Speed: 2.006
Air Speed: 0.920
Fall Speed: 1.45
Weight: 90
Wall Jump: Y
Wall Cling: Y
Crawl: N

Specials:

Neutral Special: Bubble-gum Gun
A slow projectile move that can he charged up like Diddy's. The projectile does very little damage, and doesn't make the opponent flinch. To make up for that, the move lowers the opponents air speed and dash speed for a short period of time. The longer you charge the move, the longer the effect lasts.
The effect can be stacked up to three times, but each time the effectiveness is weaker.

1 Stack: -20%
2 Stack: -30%
3 Stack: -35%

The move is very punishable.

Side Special: Twirl
Dixie does her twirl "roll" from Donkey Kong Country 2 and 3. It would be a one hit, lingering move that launches opponents up, making it useful for starting juggles and potentially combos. It would have moderate start up lag, but lowish end lag. Hitting at the start of the move would be more powerful to make up for not being able to combo because you would have to wait out the rest of the move.

This move, when used, rolls off ledges, and can be jumped out of similar to DKC if you do so. The bonus jump only activates if you start the move on ground, and end the move in the air so you can't just gain a extra jump.

Up Special: Helicopter Hair
Her move in DKC:TF. It lets her fly upwards with her hair. The move can only be used once until you get hit or touch the ground, but it doesn't put you in a fall-state. However, if you use the move again before you touch he ground or get hit, it lets you float similar to Dixie's float in DKC2 and DKC3. The float doesn't have a hitbox, but can be cancelled to do a aerial at any time by pressing Up-B again.

The flying part of this move has a multi-hit hitbox that has decent K.O power.

Down Special: Counter Camera
Dixie uses her camera from DKC3. When the move starts up it creates a hitbox infront of the camera that stuns the opponents caught in it for a short period of time, enough time to make the move un-punishable.

If Dixie takes a picture of the opponent while they're doing a move, Dixie will "study that move".
This means that the next time the opponent hits Dixie with that move, Dixie will evade it. Dixie cannot study grabs.

You can only keep one picture at a time. Using the Down-B again will discard that picture and remove that effect.
If the move misses if is very punishable, but the move has a decent start up.

Basics:

Jab: A basic one-two-three/rapid ***. Her 123 jab is the same as Diddy Kong's jab. Her Rapid Jab is similar to Diddy's old jab, but instead of a tail, she uses her hair.

Dash Attack: Dixie does a kick infront of her which weakly launches the opponent sideways. Potentially leading them into a tech position. It is similar to Donkey Kong's old Dash Attack.

Side Tilt: Dixie tilts her hair infront of her. A simple "get-away-from-me" move that launches the opponent sideways. Similar to Mario's side tilt. It can be angled.

Down Tilt: Dixie sweeps her hair infront of her across the ground. The move would sends the opponent slightly upward which would lead them into a bad situation and potentially lead into a free aerial. It would come out slow, but be able to hit opponents on the ledge.

Up Tilt: Similar to Diddy Kong's up tilt. She would swing her hand above her head. It would act almost identical to Diddy's Up Tilt.

Smashes:

F-Smash: A standard 3-hit F-Smash. She would swing her hair infront of her which would lead into a punch and into another hair swing which would launch the opponent in a diagonal-up position.

D-Smash: She would pound the ground which would create a ground-box under her. The ground box would have 2 hitboxes, if you're close towards the center it would launch you straight up, but if your at the edge it would trip. Dixie's slam would also have a htibox which would be the most powerful. The move would start up reasonably fast, but it would have moderate endlag for a smash attack.

U-Smash: She would swing both her hands over her head at once. It would act similar to Mario's U-Smash, with less power.

Air Attacks:

F-Air: A two hit move where Dixie does two kicks infront of her. The move is rather quick but does little damage.

N-Air: Similar to Diddy's N-Air. Dixie does a cart-wheel mid-air. Unlike Diddy's N-Air, the move is multi-hit and does more damage than Diddy's. However, the move has a worse start-up compared to Diddy's.

U-Air: Dixie swings her hair above her head. The move is weak, but quick. Rather useful for juggling.

B-Air: Dixie kicks behind her with her foot. The move is semi-powerful and decently quick, but has very little range and a sour-spot.

D-Air: She flips upside down and uses her hair as a drill. The move would be multi-hit and act similar to Bowser Jr's where the final hit sends upward.

Grabs and Throws:

Grab: She would grab her opponent with her hair and keep them held ontop of her. Dixie Kong, like Donkey Kong, would have a cargo throw, but you would be unable to jump or fall off ledges during it. Walking with the grab would be substantially slower than Donkey Kongs, and different weights affect the speed of it.

Pummel: She would punch the opponent.

F-Throw: She would throw her opponent forward similar to the team-up throw/barrel throw in DKC2. It would launch at a slightly downward-forward angle. Leading some characters at some percents into a tech position. As a potential bonus, the opponent being thrown would have a hitbox that would damage other players, leading to some use in doubles.

U-Throw: She would throw her opponent straight up similar to the team-up toss in DKC2 and DKC3. Has low K.O power, but put the opponent in a juggle position.

D-Throw: She puts her opponent infront of her and pops bubble gum in their face. It launches them in a diagonal-upward angle infront of her. The move would have too much endlag to combo or follow-up, but the throw itself is the most damaging and would apply a slight damage-over-time effect.

B-Throw: She would toss her opponent behind her at a diagonal-upward angle. It would be her best K.O Throw. It would have similar power and launch angle to wolf's Back throw.

Final Smash:
I actually have no idea. The best thing I could think of would be a Animal Buddy stampede or something of the sort.

Alternate Costumes:

Pallet is Clothes/Hair/Fur/Skin
Every Odd alt has Arm and Leg Pads.

1. Normal Alt. Pink/Yellow/Brown/Peach
2. Blue/Light Brown/Dark Brown/Peach. Resembles Kiddy Kong
3. Purple/Red/Brown/Peach. Resembles Player 2 from DKC2
4. Yellow/Black/White/Peach. Resembles Swanky Kong from DKC2
6. Green/White/Light Brown/Peach. Resembles Wrinkly Kong from DKC2.
7. Grey/White/Dark Grey/Light Grey. Black and White alt.
8. Maroon/Black/Dark Green/Green. Resembles Kaptain K. Rool from DKC2.

The way I constructed this was built for Dixie to have a good juggle and edge-guard game, but have a poor neutral and ground game.

Top Bottom