• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

Justin Little

Smash Ace
All Diddy and frankly all of the Kongs need is better characterization. RARE trumps Retro's games when it comes to giving these characters personality. Once Nintendo applies that to their own DK game, then Diddy's popularity will surely go up.

I do worry polls like the one I posted will give Nintendo the wrong idea about Diddy. Who knows, maybe they have the data that backs up their reasoning why he wasn't playable in MK8. It really feels lonely being a Diddy Kong fan. :crying:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I feel like DKC3 would have been better received by many if Kiddy was never paired with Dixie in the first place as Kiddy Kong is the reason most people dislike DKC3. Though, it still was one of the top 10 best selling SNES games.

All Diddy and frankly all of the Kongs need is better characterization. RARE trumps Retro's games when it comes to giving these characters personality. Once Nintendo applies that to their own DK game, then Diddy's popularity will surely go up.

I do worry polls like the one I posted will give Nintendo the wrong idea about Diddy. Who knows, maybe they have the data that backs up their reasoning why he wasn't playable in MK8. It really feels lonely being a Diddy Kong fan. :crying:
The way I see it, Rare had the better personalities, characters and conspects while Retro has the better gameplay mechanics.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
What Rare genuinely excelled at was world creation. DKC, Banjo-Kazooie, Conker, Perfect Dark, Star Fox Adventures, etc. They had an innate ability with their titles to make them seem not just bog standard video game settings, but living breathing places that games happened to be taking place. Its one of the reasons the SNES trilogy is so amazing today because the combination of the rendered graphics & stage details made all three games (admittedly more the latter two) real in a way Mario games at the time were not.

That extended to the Kongs, all of whom had their particular quirks and individual personalities (whether in their animations or with the NPC's the particular settings they were in) that made them stand out. The one two punch of Nintendo's inconsistent interest in the DKU and Retro focusing on the gameplay set pieces has meant much of that has been lost.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

It is a lonely feeling at times yeah. Diddy used to be a great character in the hands of Rare. You saw some growth in the character even, between DKC and DKC2 especially, and his characterization in DK64. I wish Rare could've continued with that.

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
This is what I can imagine for Dixie's Shadow Moses Island dialogue...

Snake: Otacon, that chimp is throwing her hair around like a muscle!

Otacon: That's Dixie Kong, Snake. She adventured with Diddy, and has since made her own name.

Snake: ...but the hair...

Otacon: She can tense her ponytail to propel herself, glide, attack, and lift heavy objects. Don't ask me how, the science has yet to explain it.

Snake: It's a bit unnatural if you ask me.

Otacon: Don't you remember where you are? Everything is unnatural!

Snake: Oh, yeah...

Otacon: Just don't stand still for too long, Snake. That ponytail will flog anything that gets in its path.

Snake: Got it.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
This is what I can imagine for Dixie's Shadow Moses Island dialogue...

Snake: Otacon, that chimp is throwing her hair around like a muscle!

Otacon: That's Dixie Kong, Snake. She adventured with Diddy, and has since made her own name.

Snake: ...but the hair...

Otacon: She can tense her ponytail to propel herself, glide, attack, and lift heavy objects. Don't ask me how, the science has yet to explain it.

Snake: It's a bit unnatural if you ask me.

Otacon: Don't you remember where you are? Everything is unnatural!

Snake: Oh, yeah...

Otacon: Just don't stand still for too long, Snake. That ponytail will flog anything that gets in its path.

Snake: Got it.
I'd be interested in seeing her Palutena's Guidance conversation.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Too bad that won't happen in Ultimate if Dixie get's in since all the DLC characters excluding Plant doesn't and won't have Palutena's Guidance.
Well yeah, I know that, I was just talking hypothetically like with the fanmade Snake's Codec conversation above (which she wouldn't be getting either since they didn't make any for the characters who weren't in Brawl).

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Hey, all - wanted to share a Dixie Kong moveset I submitted the other day to the Make Your Move series' latest competition. It's a lengthy read (~20,000 words plus a bonus stage and spirits) but I hope folks can appreciate the effort to best represent the sum of Dixie's main appearances, plus some of the great fan move concepts generated for her over the years. It's probably not the set I'd expect Dixie to receive in Smash, but I think it goes a ways to set her apart from DK and Diddy while still retaining a few fun parallels. Special thanks to BirthNote BirthNote and Arcadenik Arcadenik for respectively letting me use the illustrations and most of the GIFs. Hope everyone enjoys!

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
I'd be interested in seeing her Palutena's Guidance
Dixie could have the following 'Palutena's Guidance' conversation.

Viridi: So cute!

Palutena: Adorable!

Pit: Yeah, I get that alot.

Viridi: ...

Palutena:...

Viridi: We weren't talking about you, Pit.

Pit: Oh...

Palutena: We were watching Dixie Kong. Isn't it amazing how many things she can do with her hair alone?

Pit: Yeah... I guess.

Viridi: Like whipping...

Palutana: ... and lifting crates...

Viridi: ...and clinging to platforms...

Palutena: ... and balancing on it...

Viridi: ...and gliding...

Palutena: ... and swimming...

Viridi: ...and...

Pit: Alright, alright! I get it, but I'm pretty amazing too... I can fly... I can use light arrows...

Palutena: ... but can your hair lift you three feet off the ground?

Pit: It can sparkle in the sun...

Viridi: I think your jealous because you don't have an exraordinary ponytail too.

Pit: It's just hair!

Palutena: Right... That's just her hair! She can also blow a huge bubble...

Viridi: ...and play the bongos...

Palutena: ... and rock with her guitar...

Pit: Aaaaaaah!

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
SeashoreWar SeashoreWar Doc Monocle Doc Monocle and BKupa666 BKupa666

Thank you all so VERY much for this content! Kiddy looks great by himself and the plushies are nice touches, the Codec and Guidance were a nice surprise; I have a soft spot for codecs but the guidance was really funny LOL. And thank you very much for the MYM entry! I secretly wanted to enter the contest all the way back in 2012 but never got around to it; there was this Biwser Jr moveset that I think you made which fascinated me. It really maximized the Sunshine goop mechanics and it lit my mind up. It'll take me some time to read the Dixie entry, but I'm looking forward to it.

Thanks again for giving me credit, and I'm glad to see another excellent moveset created. I'll post a link to it in the OP later today!

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I would love a new DKC title for Switch. I know there is probably licensing issues with Rareware, but how awesome would it be if the story involved the return of King K Rool? The title could be "The Krempire Strikes Back".
Oh, man! That subtitle is SO vintage Rare! Like, that alone makes me wish that Rare stuck around.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I would love a new DKC title for Switch. I know there is probably licensing issues with Rareware, but how awesome would it be if the story involved the return of King K Rool? The title could be "The Krempire Strikes Back".
There are no licensing issues, everything Rare made for Donkey Kong is owned by Nintendo.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I can't believe we're back to discussing this after K.Rool was added to Smash.
Well, some people just don't give up their own flase perspective of the topic. It's annoying when these people they say stuff like this have little to no knowledge of what they're talking about.

I just said probably as in I don't know for sure. I guessed there might have been an issue because he didn't appear in DKCR or Tropical Freeze.
If that was the case, than ask me how K. Rool was a trophy in Melee, Brawl and Smash 4? He's always been owned by Nintendo because of being part of the Donkey Kong brand. Read this to get a better understanding:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Go easy on BallZ everyone, it's an old misconception but they genuinely didn't know.

BallZ BallZ basically, when a company makes a character for a series that's owned by another company, that character belongs to the owner of that series and not the creator of the character. Geno is a rare exception. Rare made the characters but Nintendo always owned them, they simply shunned K. Rool. Retrogamermax's link is very useful, do check it out.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
It is rather telling of Nintendo's treatment of DKC that so many have assumed that Rare owned K Rool because there's no way the former wouldn't use that character for such a long time if they actually owned him, right? That's what 10 years of spin-off focus and another 10 years of inconsistent releases has done for the public's awareness of the brand.

Really, K Rool's absence from various Mario universe related titles seems especially baffling given how much the Party and Kart games scrapped the bottom of the barrel for characters yet the main villain of a highly successful Mario adjacent series was never considered. His high status in the ballot and subsequent appearance in Ultimate was a triumph, but it was perhaps the most blatant example of Nintendo fundamentally underestimating the appeal of DKC until the evidence was staring them in the face.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
ahhh how could i forget? Didn't he screw over Metroid somehow as well?
In a manner of speaking I guess. There was Federation Force which only an outspoken few liked. All the spinoffs the series had gotten were pretty much his idea, but at least the ones that came before FF happened when Metroid was still an active series. Going into multiplayer territory was still pushing it for some though even back then and given that it was at the time of Halo’s peak in popularity, felt like his way of cheaply trying to tap into the Halo crowd when Metroid had already gone FPS. Out of the Prime trilogy, 3 was when he was given more control, and thus you saw more Halo marine esque Federation troopers in action (now during gameplay), as well as more other bounty hunters that started with Prime Hunters. The latter I was mostly fine with though.

Ridley may not even be in Metroid Prime 4 if I’m to believe some things I’ve heard, but thankfully Smash has already immortalized him for Ridley to not go through some forced period of inactivity like K Rool had unfortunately gone through, and Tanabe has no jurisdiction over the 2D/sidesroller games, so Rid can always appear in those even if he's not in MP4 or doesn't fall under Tanabe's vision for the Prime series going forward like the Kremlings didn't for DKC's return.

I still like most of the ideas Metroid and DKC had gotten even with him at the helm, but remain uncertain on Prime 4 all the same given its... history. Whatever team Tanabe originally had for the game wasn't looking good enough for Nintendo to put out, so he had to crawl back to Retro, leading to speculation of what may have gotten cancelled as a result (a 3rd DKC by Retro or something else they were working on entirely) that we'll probably never know the full story of, save maybe some insiders finding out some details through leaks.

BallZ

Smash Cadet
In a manner of speaking I guess. There was Federation Force which only an outspoken few liked. All the spinoffs the series had gotten were pretty much his idea, but at least the ones that came before FF happened when Metroid was still an active series. Going into multiplayer territory was still pushing it for some though even back then and given that it was at the time of Halo’s peak in popularity, felt like his way of cheaply trying to tap into the Halo crowd when Metroid had already gone FPS. Out of the Prime trilogy, 3 was when he was given more control, and thus you saw more Halo marine esque Federation troopers in action (now during gameplay), as well as more other bounty hunters that started with Prime Hunters. The latter I was mostly fine with though.

Ridley may not even be in Metroid Prime 4 if I’m to believe some things I’ve heard, but thankfully Smash has already immortalized him for Ridley to not go through some forced period of inactivity like K Rool had unfortunately gone through, and Tanabe has no jurisdiction over the 2D/sidesroller games, so Rid can always appear in those even if he's not in MP4 or doesn't fall under Tanabe's vision for the Prime series going forward like the Kremlings didn't for DKC's return.

I still like most of the ideas Metroid and DKC had gotten even with him at the helm, but remain uncertain on Prime 4 all the same given its... history. Whatever team Tanabe originally had for the game wasn't looking good enough for Nintendo to put out, so he had to crawl back to Retro, leading to speculation of what may have gotten cancelled as a result (a 3rd DKC by Retro or something else they were working on entirely) that we'll probably never know the full story of, save maybe some insiders finding out some details through leaks.
Yeah, this is what i remembered. I don't care at all for trying to turn the Metroid games into some kind of universe with an over arching story about bounty hunters and whatnot. I just want a cool atmospheric game with a maze like design and cool powerups. I just hope Prime 4 cuts out the fluff and sticks to what most people play Metroid for.

As for DKC, I actually really liked the new games. The only problem I had was they were pretty hard with two people. I just think it would be cool if K Rool returned as a villain as well as the familiar lizard enemies, but its not a deal breaker for me if they dont, as long as the games are fun.

BallZ

Smash Cadet
It is rather telling of Nintendo's treatment of DKC that so many have assumed that Rare owned K Rool because there's no way the former wouldn't use that character for such a long time if they actually owned him, right? That's what 10 years of spin-off focus and another 10 years of inconsistent releases has done for the public's awareness of the brand.

Really, K Rool's absence from various Mario universe related titles seems especially baffling given how much the Party and Kart games scrapped the bottom of the barrel for characters yet the main villain of a highly successful Mario adjacent series was never considered. His high status in the ballot and subsequent appearance in Ultimate was a triumph, but it was perhaps the most blatant example of Nintendo fundamentally underestimating the appeal of DKC until the evidence was staring them in the face.
idk how true it is or not, but didn't Miyamoto infamously deride DKC for being an unoriginal clone of Mario World? If its true, then maybe that played some part in him not appearing.

Personally I think its whack that Mario Kart got "Pink Gold Peach" but not K Rool, Krusha, and Klump.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
idk how true it is or not, but didn't Miyamoto infamously deride DKC for being an unoriginal clone of Mario World? If its true, then maybe that played some part in him not appearing.

Personally I think its whack that Mario Kart got "Pink Gold Peach" but not K Rool, Krusha, and Klump.
That old Miyamoto quote was a hoax, no doubt made up by someone who wanted to spread misinformation on Rare after the buyout which partly led to the revisionism of DKC being mediocre.

This is what he really had to say on it.

EKosOv-U8AAr_hl.png

And agree on Metroid. Not much more for me to say there.

Top Bottom