• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Time for another moveset idea for the Third Hero:

For this attack, we're going back to the "Super Hair" category, which covers hair abilities that defy physics. Dixie's Helicopter Hair is the poster for this category, but there's something else she can do with it:

Dixie swiftly swings her hair forward and spins it like a drill! She racks up damage on anyone who makes contact as long as you hold A. The hitbox is small but sustained, and is best as a Forward Tilt. How's she able to do this? The same way she swims underwater in Tropical Freeze!

I didn't realize Dixie could use her hair like a drill until I replayed DKCTF recently. She's able to swim better than the other Kongs by drilling it, so that means using drill-like hair for attacks is basically canon! As y'all can see, there are many ways for Dixie to use her hair: flying, broad swings, whips, spinning, hair-standing, hanging, grabbing, lifting, throwing and as this example--as well as Tropical Freeze shows--drilling and swimming! Compare that to Diddy's tail--which he barely uses in Smash or his home series--as its use is limited to whips, hanging, spinning and broad swings. This is something to remember when people ask what she can do that Diddy can't. Speaking of which, if anyone happens to bump into users who think Dixie can't do much, remember what she can and has done. Not getting kidnapped is just the start lol, but just in case also show them my moveset doc:
No disrespect to my boy Diddy though! He's still my favorite Kong.

That's it for this moveset idea. Feel free to put this on twitter when the time is right! Also, here's the transparent version:

Feedback is welcome! On this particular move or the doc itself. Gotta make it hard for detractors to pick Dixie apart.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

For this attack, we're going back to the "Super Hair" category, which covers hair abilities that defy physics. Dixie's Helicopter Hair is the poster for this category, but there's something else she can do with it:

Dixie swiftly swings her hair forward and spins it like a drill! She racks up damage on anyone who makes contact as long as you hold A. The hitbox is small but sustained, and is best as a Forward Tilt. How's she able to do this? The same way she swims underwater in Tropical Freeze!

I didn't realize Dixie could use her hair like a drill until I replayed DKCTF recently. She's able to swim better than the other Kongs by drilling it, so that means using drill-like hair for attacks is basically canon! As y'all can see, there are many ways for Dixie to use her hair: flying, broad swings, whips, spinning, hair-standing, hanging, grabbing, lifting, throwing and as this example--as well as Tropical Freeze shows--drilling and swimming! Compare that to Diddy's tail--which he barely uses in Smash or his home series--as its use is limited to whips, hanging, spinning and broad swings. This is something to remember when people ask what she can do that Diddy can't. Speaking of which, if anyone happens to bump into users who think Dixie can't do much, remember what she can and has done. Not getting kidnapped is just the start lol, but just in case also show them my moveset doc:

That's it for this moveset idea. Feel free to put this on twitter when the time is right! Also, here's the transparent version:

Feedback is welcome! On this particular move or the doc itself. Gotta make it hard for detractors to pick Dixie apart.
Got no feedback to give other than I'm constantly amazed by how you can come up with creative ideas for Dixie's kit and then convey them perfectly. I really think this will go a long way in convincing people of her potential.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Got no feedback to give other than I'm constantly amazed by how you can come up with creative ideas for Dixie's kit and then convey them perfectly. I really think this will go a long way in convincing people of her potential.
Thanks! I'm really happy the ideas come across clearly. There's more on the way.

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace

There are many things she can do on the ground, but what I would have trouble coming up with is her aerial attacks. I would use your idea as a forward or back aerial attack.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
I think Dixie's hair can do enough things that you can come up with five distinct aerials (although personally I would want her kit to have at least one melee attack for variety). Just as examples:

• Neutral: Spins around in place, using her hair to protect her body and extend her reach. It would work a lot like Meta Knight's nair, and would resemble her tumbling animation from the SNES games (like when being launched from a barrel).
  • Forward: Winds her head back and slams down with her hair. It would be a move similar to DK's forward air, but with her hair instead of arms. Probably shouldn't be a meteor, but it can be.
  • Back: Uses her hair to quickly stab backwards. Somewhat similar to a Belmont bair in concept, but shorter, and frame data would be more similar to Wolf or Sonic's back airs.
  • Up: A very quick propeller spin above her head. Similar to how she uses her hair in Tropical Freeze, this would be a multi-hit and function similar to Pit's up-air but about twice as fast. It could even lift her up a little like K. Rool's up-air.
  • Down: Uses her hair to propel herself downward. This is a standard stall-and-fall down air like many characters have, but it would use her hair as a drill, just like her swimming animation in Tropical Freeze.

Again, these are just ideas for what they could do for aerials, and don't necessarily need to be part of the same moveset.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
There are many things she can do on the ground, but what I would have trouble coming up with is her aerial attacks. I would use your idea as a forward or back aerial attack.
Feel free to! My main goal is to stir the pot of ideas, and if people think of different uses for a given concept, that's highly encouraged.

I have a few other aerials sketched out but it'll take some time to show. If they help out with brainstorming, great!

Justin Little

Smash Ace
I'm contemplating whether I should buy this Pass right now. All of the characters chosen so far look really fun, but I'm still waiting for that legacy, nostalgia character that I have a good attachment towards. Sephiroth is a legacy character, but I don't have much attachment towards him despite really liking FF7. The Aegis are on the same boat as I really liked Xenoblade 2, but their are a bit too recent to scratch that itch.

I think I'm going to wait a little while longer, ultimately. Obviously, I'm rooting for Dixie Kong and Rayman, as they also fit that criteria. However, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it if the next character was someone like Crash, Doomguy, Dante, Tony Hawk, Gordon Freeman, Spyro, etc.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
That's a fairly strong moveset BirthNote. I think my overall preference for the Neutral B would another animal buddy (just just because Dixie's hair feels so ideal for basic and Smash attacks) but the complexity of the attack does have me considering that it could be worth keeping and assigning something like a Rambi Charge to the Forward Special instead.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny

SeashoreWar

Smash Journeyman
Another great moveset idea/illustration BirthNote BirthNote ! Has there been any ideas for her final smash?

Thanks for the feedback everyone! Quick question, have y'all heard of these Nintendo Switch Pro reports?
Imagine getting the new DKC game on that..
I feel like I've been hearing about a Switch Pro for at least 2 years. Maybe 3 lol.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Is that this one? Regardless, good to be reminded of previously existing figures when that topic came up after the last Smash presentation.

View attachment 306066
I still wish World of Nintendo would make 4 inch articulated action figures of Dixie, K. Rool, Cranky, Funky, the rest of the Kongs and Kritters. We are long overdue for articulated DKC figures outside of WoN DK and Diddy figures and cartoon figures.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Another great moveset idea/illustration BirthNote BirthNote ! Has there been any ideas for her final smash?

I feel like I've been hearing about a Switch Pro for at least 2 years. Maybe 3 lol.
Thanks! Honestly I don't have anything in mind for the Final Smash atm. Maybe something with barrels but it's an afterthought in my case.

D

Deleted member

Wanna hear a hot take?

I would be more hyped for Dixie Kong if she ends up as a Diddy semi-clone rather than with a whole new moveset.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Wanna hear a hot take?

I would be more hyped for Dixie Kong if she ends up as a Diddy semi-clone rather than with a whole new moveset.
Beyond thinking there's so much potential for Dixie if draws on elements from the Country games, I think my reticence about her being a semi-clone is rooted in me not really liking how Diddy generally plays to begin with. The rocket, peanut gun, & banana peel always felt pretty meh as moves and he lacks the sense of fun punch that Donkey and K Rool have.

D

Deleted member

Care to go into detail? For me it's Unique>>>>>Semi Clone (Lucas/Wolf-Level specifically)>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Echo
Conceptually, Dixie was unironically drafted as "Diddy with a wig" according to Steve Mayles, and she shares most of her abilities with Diddy in the DKC games, save for the ones involving her ponytail obviously.

While I give props to those who made a completely new moveset for their creativity, I think it'd me more into her character to be derived from Diddy with just a fair amount of different moves.

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
Conceptually, Dixie was unironically drafted as "Diddy with a wig" according to Steve Mayles, and she shares most of her abilities with Diddy in the DKC games, save for the ones involving her ponytail obviously.

While I give props to those who made a completely new moveset for their creativity, I think it'd me more into her character to be derived from Diddy with just a fair amount of different moves.
Ehhhh Smash has enough derivative fighters as is. I mean Dixie and Diddy can share some moves, but I feel like a more unique moveset would be objectively more interesting.

Spatman

Smash Ace
I'd like too if Dixie and Diddy shared some moves or if Dixie had some derivative moves. Calling her a semi-clone or not would be subjective. But:
1) I LOVE how Diddy plays, I love all his moves, so if Dixie would share some of them, I'd love them
2) I like when characters of the same series share the inspiration of some moves, like a peculiarity of that series. For example stat changes to the same style of attacks in Xenoblade characters, derivative moves in Mario/Luigi/Wario, Fox/Falco/Wolf and Ness/Lucas; Diddy and DK already share bair and uptilt and both of them have a "clap" as a move (dtilt for Diddy and fsmash for DK). I'd see the bair as a fast and low lagging kick for the bairs as a peculiarity of DK characters in smash, so I'd want Dixie have it too; moreover, she could share dtilt with Diddy (clapping is somewhat monkey and apes do); and then of course upB of Dixie could be very similar to DK's upB. It would be interesting if she shared a move with Diddy and another with DK, it would look like a kind of metaphoric baton-pass, as in the Rare trilogy where the sidekick of one game is the star of the next game.

Another thing I wanted to say is: I believe the next two dlc characters will be:
-the former, a guest star
-the latter, another Nintendo character

...unluckily I think the highest chance is of another Splatoon character (advertising Splatoon 3) or of a Zelda character (for BotW 2 and in general for Zelda's anniversary). Other likely candidates could be a pokémon or, slightly less, a Kirby character or a character of another game yet to be announced. Among the last ones of course there could be Dixie too

Jurae818

Smash Journeyman
Wanna hear a hot take?

Literally how I feel about Dixie's future inclusion period. Can she be unique? Yeah. Should she be unique? Yeah. Does she have to be unique? Depends. Do you pull from other DK games/characters in an attempt to make her 'unique'? Or do you simply pull her from DKC2/3? If Marth can have three spin-offs and a fanbase that defends them, Diddy can get a female-centered spin-off with some alternative methods to his moveset. The issue isn't that she would be a clone, the issue is that because she can easily be a semi-clone on par with Luigi, Falco and Isabelle as an early example, she should have been an obvious inclusion, even if it means she'd be labeled an Echo Fighter™ at worst.

Here's another hot take: Wanting a character in a character-focused game simply because you like them.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny

She started out conceptually as Didianne but when it came time to program her Rare couldn't make it work right. She got retooled heavily not over the course of the series, but over the course of her development. Compare that to, say Luigi who's original purpose conceptually, in his debut and mechanically, was Green Mario.

May I ask which moves she shares with Diddy? Which animations as well?

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I think the most ideal thing for Dixie is making her a "psuedo-clone".

Essentially what Wolf, Luigi and Lucas are. They're all mostly unique characters that are still clearly derived from pre-existing fighters (Fox, Mario and Ness), that's how I always envisioned Dixie being like in Smash.

SeashoreWar

Smash Journeyman
Thanks! Honestly I don't have anything in mind for the Final Smash atm. Maybe something with barrels but it's an afterthought in my case.
Yeah it's probably not as interesting lol. The ones I thought about were an animal buddy stampede (either a cutscene like Yoshi's or have them appear on the stage and whoever is in their way gets taken out) and cutscene of Crocodile Isle exploding like K. Rool's.

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
Yeah it's probably not as interesting lol. The ones I thought about were an animal buddy stampede (either a cutscene like Yoshi's or have them appear on the stage and whoever is in their way gets taken out) and cutscene of Crocodile Isle exploding like K. Rool's.
How about using the animal buddies in a more involved manner? Like, when you activate the Final Smash a horizontal bar appears on the screen that you can move up and down, and when you press the button a giant Rambi will stampede straight through where the bar was.
At this point I'd take anything as long as it isn't another cutscene. The oversaturation of cutscene final smashes is one of my least favorite things about Utimate.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773

Hehe. Didn’t look at it that way at first but seeing the intro again... Life be boring for her I guess when no seismic event or not much is happening, like her not getting in Smash.

Last edited:

SeashoreWar

Smash Journeyman
How about using the animal buddies in a more involved manner? Like, when you activate the Final Smash a horizontal bar appears on the screen that you can move up and down, and when you press the button a giant Rambi will stampede straight through where the bar was.
At this point I'd take anything as long as it isn't another cutscene. The oversaturation of cutscene final smashes is one of my least favorite things about Utimate.
Yeah that's kinda what I was thinking as the second option. I think i would want more than just Rambi though. Maybe have their crates show up on the screen and then you can decide what direction they go in. That's true there are alot of cutscenes lol.

Top Bottom