• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
I really hope Dixie comes with a bunch of music. Doesn't even have to be as crazy as Terry, but like 20 or so tracks of the best DK songs that aren't already in the game, especially stuff from DKC3 and Tropical Freeze. Throw in a bit more DKC2 because you can't go wrong with that, and a couple of spinoff songs.

I feel like DKC3 should get the bulk of the new arrangements since the SNES version is a bit too chill for Smash and the GBA version is rather tinny. New arrangements for Tropical Freeze songs would be welcome too of course, but they're already such a good fit for Smash that I don't think it needs it as much.

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Haven't come here a wee while. Major depression waves on me as of this whole month, unfortunately. :urg:

I haven't been exactly in best mood to write longer texts way back to page 310 exploring meanings of "fake fans VS true fans"-thing, even if I have had my own kind of strong and personal input on the matter. But the amount of speculation on new DK really is joyous, fresh breath of air compared to last years as I've been observing catching up.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I know I said this a long time back, but that track really gets to me. It's one of the tunes I play when I'm genuinely sad and need time to heal, so I don't play it unless I'm really bummed out.

We all cope in our own ways so don't judge me lol.
A DKC track list or two is one of the daily things I listen to on Spotify at this point to balance out my emotions, so far be it from me to judge.

The Tropical Freeze OST is such a treasure trove, it's a shame we only have two non remixed tracks in Ultimate.
Still feel the Retro games in general (for both Metroid and DKC) got snubbed when it came to soundtracks. Have Dark Samus in the game but her theme strangely missing. The remixes for K Rool's and Ridley's themes and such definitely made up for it though, but still.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Haven't come here a wee while. Major depression waves on me as of this whole month, unfortunately. :urg:

I haven't been exactly in best mood to write longer texts way back to page 310 exploring meanings of "fake fans VS true fans"-thing, even if I have had my own kind of strong and personal input on the matter.
I'm sorry to hear that. I hope you feel better about things soon.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
And Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and Splatoon 2.

I always find it weird as hell that Dixie and K. Rool got trophies in Melee but Diddy didn't. There was rumored cut Rare Melee trophies that supposedly didn't make it in, but Dixie and K. Rool already had trophies in the game so there was no excuse for Diddy not getting one. The conspiracy theory I have on the reason Diddy didn't have a trophy in Melee was because I think he was planned and being worked on, but cut due to time constraints and possibly them not being able to contact Rare in time as well about Diddy's potential inclusion since they were so far overseas. In conclusion: The Diddy Kong trophy got cut as well since it was intended to go along with a playable Diddy. Plus there was a event in Adventure Mode with the two tiny Donkey Kongs that kind of seemed out of place. Perhaps Diddy was suppose to have been one of those tiny DKs or both.
Honestly, this has been my belief for years now.

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
Video games in general is the thing that keeps my mind away from the depressing things in life.
Yes. It feels bad that I must admit it, but the distraction of gaming has long been a vice of mine. It is hard as well, because it is one of the easiest casual, non-malicious activities to be looked down upon for engaging in.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I need some legit DK 2021 leaks in my veins stat.

I got a fever. And the only prescription is... more DK leaks.
Well, Nintendo has legit information locked and tight so you won't be hearing real leaks about DKC that often. And when you do, it'll be from someone credible with legit sources like Hyle Russell the DK Vine co-founder.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
The name of this thread
The Last Nintendo All-Star: Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits
confuses me there are atleast 50 other Nintendo allstars that could be added aswell even if you disscount Bwd (because hes tachnicly HAL) and other Kirby Characters

You still have Impa,Toad,Goron, a metroid (im only feturing Characters that have a simlar ammount of appearences) and others are you saying Impa or Toad arent All stars????

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
The name of this thread
confuses me there are atleast 50 other Nintendo allstars that could be added aswell even if you disscount Bwd (because hes tachnicly HAL) and other Kirby Characters

You still have Impa,Toad,Goron, a metroid (im only feturing Characters that have a simlar ammount of appearences) and others are you saying Impa or Toad arent All stars????
I assume it's because Dixie, along with possibly Toad (depending on if you count all of the playable Toads and Captain Toad as the same person or not), was the headliner/star of at least one game in their series (DKC3, Wario's Woods and/or Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker), which makes their absence seem odd.

How important Bandanna Dee is to the Kirby series may vary from person to person (some see him as a core member of the cast since Return to Dream Land, while others see him as a promoted minion character), but he wasn't the main star of a Kirby game like Dixie was for Donkey Kong Country. (the closest that I can think of is Kirby Fighters 2, where he was the player 2 character and (going by the story, menus, and credits) the character that Kirby teamed up with to complete the challenges)

At the very least, "The Last Nintendo All-Star" flows a lot more smoothly than "One of the Last Nintendo All-Stars".

Last edited:

Oracle Link

Smash Master
I assume it's because Dixie, along with possibly Toad (depending on if you count all of the playable Toads and Captain Toad as the same person or not), was the headliner/star of at least one game in their series (DKC3, Wario's Woods and/or Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker), which makes their absence seem odd.

How important Bandanna Dee is to the Kirby series may vary from person to person (some see him as a core member of the cast since Return to Dream Land, while others see him as a promoted minion character), but he wasn't the main star of a Kirby game like Dixie was for Donkey Kong Country. (the closest that I can think of is Kirby Fighters 2, where he was the player 2 character and (going by the story, menus, and credits) the character that Kirby teamed up with to complete the challenges)

At the very least, "The Last Nintendo All-Star" flows a lot more smoothly than "One of the Last Nintendo All-Stars".
it still downplays the importance and demand for other characters

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
ok maybe im just thinking more logical than you guys (this could be a good or bad thing)

ya know because Aspi
You are the third person I have met here to have that condition. I understand your sentiment, I like it when people use phrases as they are literally purposed too, but most language is colloquial.

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny

I haven't been exactly in best mood to write longer texts way back to page 310 exploring meanings of "fake fans VS true fans"-thing, even if I have had my own kind of strong and personal input on the matter. But the amount of speculation on new DK really is joyous, fresh breath of air compared to last years as I've been observing catching up.

Hey Valkyrie, take your time. When you're ready to jump back in this thread will be here, so definitely don't sweat it.
A DKC track list or two is one of the daily things I listen to on Spotify at this point to balance out my emotions, so far be it from me to judge.
I've been going through some major depressing **** over the last year.
Wise's music is one of the few things that really helps me destress and calm down. No judging here : p
Thanks guys, I was hesitant to even admit Seashore War was one of the tracks I play when I'm really down, but I'm glad to see Wise's music helps you as well. I really wanna get more DK music to add to the collection, and a brand new game could scratch that itch.

Also GAINAX, I hope things work out for you in the long run.
Yes. It feels bad that I must admit it, but the distraction of gaming has long been a vice of mine. It is hard as well, because it is one of the easiest casual, non-malicious activities to be looked down upon for engaging in.
It sucks cuz it's generally harmless, but on one negative hand it attracts people who are mad at the world and wanna take their toxicity out on everyone. On the other negative hand it gets scapegoated for tragic events that I'm gonna cautiously tiptoe around because I don't wanna spark certain conversations and hope things don't derail from here...

On one positive hand I genuinely think it's the most engaging medium. A well-made game is an experience; it lights up the eyes, the ears, our sense of touch and certainly the imagination as it gets very interactive very quickly. Until they come up with a medium that can involve all 5 of our senses plus our imagination, the raw potential of video games vs the raw potential of other mediums is greater. It goes without saying that books, tv shows and movies also have highlights, but a really well-designed game can hook you at more angles.

On the other positive hand games create communities that if done well can attract some very good people, and keep them. Recently the Ghost of Tsushima community donated disaster relief money to the real-life island of Tsushima, and this little community of ours formed from a love of Donkey Kong. We all could talk for hours each about the immersion we experienced playing these games, and not just due to nostalgia. I feel like I'm rambling now but you get my gist lol.
The name of this thread

Megadoomer pretty much said what I was going to. I'm not diminishing Toad, Bandanna Dee or Impa, I'm saying that Dixie is one of the first gaming females in the medium to headline her own game and be the protagonist of 3 very well-made platformers. She made her mark during a time when it wasn't cool to play as a girl unless you were one, maintained her girliness while still kicking a** and is a heroine owned by a company known for Damsels in Distress. She had her own game long before Peach and none of the stigma; she kicked a** in the 90's and is, with her merits The Last Nintendo All-Star who's still not in.

Also, I'm not a fan of attacking other characters. I think it's perfectly possible to advocate for one character without tearing down others. Doing so makes us look insecure.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I mean realistically you either change the thread title to the typical Smash text "Dixie Kong is about to go ape on the competition!" or you have a more narrow superlative to describe her "The Final Platformer Player" and such.

I mean, I'd be fine with "Nintendo's Second Heroine!" reflecting her status as the second prominent playable female character after Samus (with Peach's status in SMB2 being a one off and Zelda's role in the CD-I games essentially ignored) but I know that would be controversial in and of itself.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
1. Megadoomer pretty much said what I was going to. I'm not diminishing Toad, Bandanna Dee or Impa, I'm saying that Dixie is one of the first gaming females in the medium to headline her own game (2.and be the protagonist of 3 very well-made platformers). 3. She made her mark during a time when it wasn't cool to play as a girl unless you were one, maintained her girliness while still kicking a** and is a heroine owned by a company known for Damsels in Distress. She had her own game long before Peach and none of the stigma; she kicked a** in the 90's and is, with her merits The Last Nintendo All-Star who's still not in.

4. Also, I'm not a fan of attacking other characters. I think it's perfectly possible to advocate for one character without tearing down others. Doing so makes us look insecure.
1st Thats nice
2nd 3??? at most its 2
3rd i personaly dont really agree on this point sadly my English is not good enough to discuss this topic
4th i may attack some Characters like Lana or Marx but im the first one to admit that im insecure

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
1st Thats nice
2nd 3??? at most its 2
3rd i personaly dont really agree on this point sadly my English is not good enough to discuss this topic
4th i may attack some Characters like Lana or Marx but im the first one to admit that im insecure
Well, video games were seen as a Boy thing, whereas dolls and stuff like that were Girl things, especially in the 90s. It didn't get challenged until the mid 2000s and didn't genuinely shift to gender neutral until a few years back. Even with that shift it's still seen as something that guys gravitate to more often than girls. There's a mindset that males won't flock to mediums starring females as a general rule; it's not true especially nowadays but back then it was usually the case. There were some exceptions though.

Off tioic somewhat, but from age 5-8 I'd never admit I watched Powerpuff Girls and on a surface level Sailor Moon was literally the girliest thing I ever heard of. Dragon Ball Z was the manliest thing ever to me LMAO and I'd pick that "cartoon" (didn't know what "anime" was back then) over Sailor Moon just for that reason. I wasn't sexist, but I had no reason to watch those type of shows, since at a glance it was about sparkly pretty girls and I wanted straight up action, which turned out to be staring contests, bragging about power levels, Z Fighters screaming for 3/4ths of an ep and cliffhangers lol. Powerpuff Girls was my exception, but I didn't really start to mind shows that starred girls until Kim Possible and Proud Family came out, and I was a preteen when I saw it.

With video games it was pretty similar. Peach was the most well-known girl back in the day since Mario was the most well-known character, and all she was known for was being captured. Save The Girl style plots were the main points of most games. The women were just there to be rescued and/or be inactive while looking pretty, while these action hero guys were doing all the cool stuff and smashing skulls. Mega Man started off as some janitor and got upgraded while his cleaning assistant sister stayed that way. Link had to save Zelda in some way, and a lot of video game heroes were named [Something] Man. By the time Samus came along, and she came along pretty early, everyone assumed she was either a man in a robot suit, or a robot. It was pretty heavily reinforced that vodeo games were games about boys for boys, which is why Dixie Kong coming along, especially right after Candy Kong's debut game was a big change of pace.

Thatkidwiththeafro

The Pink Panther's Bro!
NNID
Mr.F-ZeroBias
So the Cat Tour has started in Mario Kart Tour, and Dixie and Funky are available once more. However, much like King Bob-omb starting with the Rosalina Tour, Funky Kong is now a regular high-end driver to come out of the pipe.

Dixie Kong on the other hand seems to be an exclusive once more. This time she will be available for purchase in Week 2 of the Cat Tour:

1611772730896.png

So it appears that if you get her with the Off-Roader from Wii combined with the 90 rubies, that would probably be the usual price of these packs, being $40 USD...

Interesting though... This is the second time Dixie Kong's been pushed by Nintendo in Tour recently. She was already able to be summoned alongside Funky Kong in the Los Angeles Tour, and she's now being pushed again while Funky Kong has become a regular driver to summon if lucky with those gold pipes...

I wonder WHY they didn't just make her a regular summon?

On a side note, she's one of five characters that have yet to be regular high-end drivers, the others being Nabbit, Captain Toad, Captain Toadette, and Donkey Kong Jr, who oddly still just has his variant as (SNES)...

Something's up at Nintendo lately. Dixie's REALLY been pushed in Tour lately, three tours so far...

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
I've been following the conversation about Nintendo needing to "shake things up" and be more experimental, and I honestly don't agree. I think they should stick to the tried and true, at least when it comes to their legacy series like Mario and Zelda. If I buy a Mario game, it's because I like and expect stuff like linear levels, Koopas and Goombas, power-ups and ? blocks. Their more experimental games, like Sunshine and Majora's Mask, are usually the ones I like the least. (Besides, it's not like Nintendo can't stick to the classics and still make something refreshing and different. Look at Mario 1, Mario 3, Mario World and Mario Galaxy. Those all have the same familiar tropes, and yet they're all totally different experiences.)

I'm all for new ideas, but those belong in new IP. I know brand recognition is a powerful thing, but not everything has to be a Mario or Zelda game. I'm glad we have Splatoon instead of "Mario Paintball," for example. Maybe I'd even like Sunshine if it starred a completely new character, because without "Mario" on the box, I wouldn't come in with certain expectations that the game just didn't want to meet.

Yes BOTW changed Zelda forever and is an amazing game.
I hope you're wrong about the "forever" part. I didn't like Breath of the Wild. It's the only 3D Zelda I didn't finish because I just wasn't into it. I'm not even planning on picking up the sequel.

I can't believe there hasn't been a "traditional" Zelda game since Twilight Princess in 2006. That was fifteen years ago. In my humble opinion, what Zelda needs now is a return to form, not more experimentation.

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
I've been following the conversation about Nintendo needing to "shake things up" and be more experimental, and I honestly don't agree. I think they should stick to the tried and true, at least when it comes to their legacy series like Mario and Zelda. If I buy a Mario game, it's because I like and expect stuff like linear levels, Koopas and Goombas, power-ups and ? blocks. Their more experimental games, like Sunshine and Majora's Mask, are usually the ones I like the least. (Besides, it's not like Nintendo can't stick to the classics and still make something refreshing and different. Look at Mario 1, Mario 3, Mario World and Mario Galaxy. Those all have the same familiar tropes, and yet they're all totally different experiences.)

I'm all for new ideas, but those belong in new IP. I know brand recognition is a powerful thing, but not everything has to be a Mario or Zelda game. I'm glad we have Splatoon instead of "Mario Paintball," for example. Maybe I'd even like Sunshine if it starred a completely new character, because without "Mario" on the box, I wouldn't come in with certain expectations that the game just didn't want to meet.

I hope you're wrong about the "forever" part. I didn't like Breath of the Wild. It's the only 3D Zelda I didn't finish because I just wasn't into it. I'm not even planning on picking up the sequel.

I can't believe there hasn't been a "traditional" Zelda game since Twilight Princess in 2006. That was fifteen years ago. In my humble opinion, what Zelda needs now is a return to form, not more experimentation.
Hehe! I like it when a series maintains their feel as well, but remember that with a changing demographic, the media that entertains them will inevitably change as well.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
Of course, but games can evolve without turning into something completely different. You can change almost everything and still make a modern game that feels true to the spirit of the classics. Something like Wind Waker is a good example. I'm not crazy about Mario Odyssey but that's a good example too.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
The name of this thread

But realistically speaking, there are only like several big Nintendo All Stars left that ain't in yet besides Dixie like Toad, Waluigi, Pig Ganon, Impa, Bandana Dee, Skull Kid, Krystal, ect. And Dixie, Toad, Waluigi, Pig Ganon, Impa, and Bandana Dee are the only ones left missing from the roster I would actually call Nintendo All Stars due to their iconicness, importance, or popularity.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
I'd shave that down to just Dixie, Toad, and Ganon, and personally I don't really want Toad. I wouldn't be mad if any of the characters you listed made it in, though. (Well, maybe a little if Impa got in before Ganon.)

EDIT: There's also Tetra, lowkey my second most wanted Zelda character. Smash needs more pirates.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I'd shave that down to just Dixie, Toad, and Ganon, and personally I don't really want Toad. I wouldn't be mad if any of the characters you listed made it in, though. (Well, maybe a little if Impa got in before Ganon.)

EDIT: There's also Tetra, lowkey my second most wanted Zelda character. Smash needs more pirates.
While Toad isn't as interesting as the others, I would say he's the biggest missing Nintendo All Star from the roster since he's been in pretty much all the Mario games since the original Super Mario Bros. on the NES. Toad does deserve to get in due to his iconic status regardless if he might not be a interesting fighter.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
Toad is definitely an A-list character, but he's my least favorite of the main six (Mario, Luigi, Peach, Toad, Yoshi and Bowser) and I'm pretty satisfied with how he's used in Peach and Daisy's movesets, especially now that he actually looks like he wants to be part of the fight and isn't just a meat shield.

Oracle Link

Smash Master

i do think sunshine and majoras mask have a place in these franchise but definitly not as the norm and one thing nintendo shaked up where the classic zelda enemys and im still sad about this i wish the classic octorocks where in 3d

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
Toad is probably my second most-wanted, hopefully sticking to the low-jumping lightning bruiser archetype he had in SMB2, but also with some of his Captain Toad abilities. Toadette as a skin would make his inclusion twice as nice.

It's just too bad he has even less of a shot than Dixie Kong does.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
i do think sunshine and majoras mask have a place in these franchise but definitly not as the norm and one thing nintendo shaked up where the classic zelda enemys and im still sad about this i wish the classic octorocks where in 3d
They almost were:

z64me dumped this beta Octorock Zelda 64 model on the Internet found within the Giga leak this past Summer.

And it's official as it was in magazine scans back in the day way before Ocarina of Time was released:

Same model. Crazy isn't it? If you don't know what the Giga leak is and about the story, a hacker hacked into Nintendo's servers and stoled a bunch of source codes, prototypes, beta content from the NES, SNES, N64, GameCube eras, ect and leaked and dumped all of it online.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
They almost were:

z64me dumped this beta Octorock Zelda 64 model on the Internet found within the Giga leak this past Summer.

And it's official as it was in magazine scans back in the day way before Ocarina of Time was released:

Same model. Crazy isn't it? If you don't know what the Giga leak is and about the story, a hacker hacked into Nintendo's servers and stoled a bunch of source codes, prototypes, beta content from the NES, SNES, N64, GameCube eras, ect and leaked and dumped all of it online.
ive already seen all of the Beta?/Alpha? enemys they include a bunch of other Classic designs which couldve been so good

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
Toad is probably my second most-wanted, hopefully sticking to the low-jumping lightning bruiser archetype he had in SMB2, but also with some of his Captain Toad abilities. Toadette as a skin would make his inclusion twice as nice.

It's just too bad he has even less of a shot than Dixie Kong does.
Toad is like that one character that I DON'T want to play as, but want because i see no excuse for excluding them.

It's really sad that a character should be as heavily demaned as Ridley and K.Rool is tossed aside because Sakurai had the "brilliant" idea of putting him in Peach's moveset, cursing him to never be playable. I guess not everyone can be like Android 17.........

Top Bottom