• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Hey everyone, the 3rd installment of my moveset ideas for Dixie has arrived!

The next category for potential Dixie moves is called "Super Hair". These are instances where Dixie uses her hair to defy the laws of physics. While prehensile hair and hair-standing could count, they kinda make a weird sort of sense as things you could use as if it were a limb. Super Hair is for stuff that is hard to explain, like Dixie swimming faster by spinning her hair like a drill, or flying in the air with helicopter hair. Speaking of which:

While airborne, Dixie can spin her hair rapidly to attack foes! Instead of using it above her, she performs it behind her and allows it to hit anyone who approaches. She spins it quickly and is able to rack up numerous hits for a brief time, gaining an impressive hitbox as well.

And here we have another idea. It's an aerial attack, and in Smash's case this is NAir material. The diameter rivals Ridley's NAir--which is one of, if not THE biggest NAir hitboxes thus far. Since she's Diddy-sized that makes this more impressive. Dixie's hair runs the length of her body, so naturally a 360 degree spin will have a wide radius. Since it's up for interpretation, I leave the attack duration and other aspects like that up to the audience.

That's it for this idea. Dixie has a girly flair and I wanted to show that in this attack to keep the pose variety. She ranges from monkey, acrobatic, girly, childlike and badass in a lot of her canon appearances, so this drawing primarily shows her girly acrobat side.

Hope y'all like this, and when the time is right please put this on twitter. Thanks, Snowbound!
Transparent version:

While I'm not really for a remaster of the original trilogy, if it looked like this, TAKE ALL MY MONEY, NINTENDO!
This is straight up stunning. The attention to detail is breathtaking and I adore the continuity nods regarding the brambles, where DK is being held between rounds and the kustom Switch. What really gets me is the Kongs-eye-view, because from that height, K. Rool's entire setting is extremely intimidating.
Hi, I came here cuz I was just curious to know how would ya’ll feel about my slightly too fantasized Donkey Kong Warriors concept:
View attachment 291210
Would absolutely love it. DK has enough characters to carry a game like that.

Last edited:

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Glad more people are latching onto the Donkey Kong Warriors idea. I use to say on many different comment sections around the internet that it should happen and would honestly make a ton of since but would always be laughed at and mocked for suggesting that idea.

Its legit so easy of a plot to make. Its a 5 way war between the Kremlings, Snowmads, Tikis, Evil Kongs (Jungle Beat), and the Kong Family for the banana hoard and DK Isle. Not to mention with all of these enemy factions you have a ton of variety for enemy mooks to mow down.

Playable Characters:

• Donkey Kong
  • Diddy Kong
  • Dixie Kong
  • King K.Rool
  • Lord Fredrick
  • Funky Kong
  • Bashmaster
  • Cranky Kong
  • Wrinkly Kong
  • Lanky Kong
  • Tiny Kong
  • Chunky Kong
  • Kiddy Kong
  • Donkey Kong Jr.
  • Wizpig
  • Taj the Genie
  • Colonel Pluck
  • Ghastly King
  • Candy Kong
  • Tiki Tong

K.Rool movesets can be based on his personas. Each Kong can utilize an animal buddy to assist in their movesets as well as their special guns. Swanky can run the shop for upgrades.

Enemies can assist of:

• Kritters
  • Zingers
  • Gnawtys
  • Neckies
  • Klumps
  • Krushas
  • Klaptraps
  • A bunch of Tropical Freeze enemies I never learned the names of
  • Tikis
  • Jungle Beat enemies

Bosses to fight in the world map ala Hurule Warriors:

• Mugly
  • Dogadon
  • Mad Jack
  • Boss Hog
  • Klubba

This game is such an easy idea idk how it hasnt happened already tbh...

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
Glad more people are latching onto the Donkey Kong Warriors idea. I use to say on many different comment sections around the internet that it should happen and would honestly make a ton of since but would always be laughed at and mocked for suggesting that idea.

Its legit so easy of a plot to make. Its a 5 way war between the Kremlings, Snowmads, Tikis, Evil Kongs (Jungle Beat), and the Kong Family for the banana hoard and DK Isle. Not to mention with all of these enemy factions you have a ton of variety for enemy mooks to mow down.

Playable Characters:

• Donkey Kong
  • Diddy Kong
  • Dixie Kong
  • King K.Rool
  • Lord Fredrick
  • Funky Kong
  • Bashmaster
  • Cranky Kong
  • Wrinkly Kong
  • Lanky Kong
  • Tiny Kong
  • Chunky Kong
  • Kiddy Kong
  • Donkey Kong Jr.
  • Wizpig
  • Taj the Genie
  • Colonel Pluck
  • Ghastly King
  • Candy Kong
  • Tiki Tong

K.Rool movesets can be based on his personas. Each Kong can utilize an animal buddy to assist in their movesets as well as their special guns. Swanky can run the shop for upgrades.

Enemies can assist of:

• Kritters
  • Zingers
  • Gnawtys
  • Neckies
  • Klumps
  • Krushas
  • Klaptraps
  • A bunch of Tropical Freeze enemies I never learned the names of
  • Tikis
  • Jungle Beat enemies

Bosses to fight in the world map ala Hurule Warriors:

• Mugly
  • Dogadon
  • Mad Jack
  • Boss Hog
  • Klubba

This game is such an easy idea idk how it hasnt happened already tbh...
If anything I feel like a Donkey Kong Warriors game is possible but it definitely wouldn’t be a thing at least before a hypothetical Super Mario/Mushroom Kingdom Warriors.

But yeah, the potential is definitely there, just like you showed.
The only thing I wonder is who would be the troops for the Kong army... Hmm if not too random, I think I’d pick the chained Kongs from Super Mario RPG for that role, except only with the chains and not the ball.
1604612591672.jpeg

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
I've been going absent from here Smashboards for quite a long while now, but guess to me it took much longer to start settling on having to live with this realization that at some point, the Smash Bros that I remember growing with and feeling innocent dreams of seeing some of my own fave Nintendo-characters join in to the fray had probably gone away somewhere, since it feels like I've sorta wasted all the time investing on them all these years to only come to realize they're just not on radar of both Nintendo and/or Sakurai, unless they happen to just interest them in some way whether movesets or sudden promotional material.

It's feels bit surreal to that all conclude possibly with Dixie missing her boat in Ultimate along with Toad - and all the more prior I've only come to feel perplexed about Smash-franchise refusing to include more obscurer IPs in their legacy, which could easily give any of them the gravely needed re-exposure to the mainstream... because the very status of obscurity they can't help being in, happens to already be a huge detriment to them. This happens to be the very reason why Takamaru ended up dropped in Smash 4, and probably why we hadn't seen other long-supported fan demands like him in anything more than Assist Trophy-role.

The fact that I had only gotten someone like Richter Belmont as a lucky consequence of being part of a more Nintendo-centric 3rd Party has me feel the this meme post I saw on Tumblr about how Smash Bros now has made a reality about "a game where Richter Belmont fights against a Creeper from Minecraft", is really describing the series more accurately than it being a Nintendo-centric celebration and zany party fighter it started as... and I frankly don't like it. It just reminds me how M.U.G.E.N deconstructed us about a natural conclusion to how just stale the crossover fighters under the Mahvel-engine can end up being, except it feels more official with how it has more done to pander towards modern internet and gaming culture, especially the never-ending material for memes.

Banjo & Kazooie come bit closer to resembling what the series' future in means of representing Nintendo's own legacy would have looked like, but the implications that they wouldn't have had happened if it weren't for them getting mentioned during Nintendo's involvement with Microsoft regarding Minecraft, has considerably dampened my enthutiasm on them since. With how B&K looked to be lower priority than Steve for Nintendo, hasn't had me really feel confident on Smash-series focusing on representing the company's own legacy most likely long ago- including DK-series, which most likely will have to celebrate K.Rool's inclusion as best thing to the series' representation since Brawl, and might had gotten nothing if it weren't for the Ballot happening.

More importantly, with how just much 3rd Parties have become such huge selling point to the series, I can't help seeing that's where the most notable innovations in the franchise have been put into- mainly related to how just crazy-innovative their movesets get to a point with so much work put on them, that most of the original rosters of from 64 to Brawl have become looking quite dated in comparison. It's only served to make me less invested on the series in means of wanting to see it grow as a whole - with both it's integrity to series original premise and any new major gameplay mechanics (like Final Smashes since Brawl) not getting much focus over time as series went on. Ultimate went to rectify some of these things, but we lost some major modes or features between that transition. :100:

I feel some of the 3rd Parties we could have honestly done without - such as Joker due how little Atlus is doing to push Persona 5 for anyone interested to play it on Nintendo Switch and arguably being just one installment in a mere subseries of a more long-running IP from them - Cloud Strife due how stingy Square is about the representation of the character even in Ultimate, and even Bayonetta, with the way her moveset had gone to show how much experimenting with unique kinds can go long way completely demolish the core workings of gameplay rules Smash revolves in. And frankly, she still is Platinum Games-character over many deeming Bayonetta as a "Nintendo-one" lately. Nintendo wouldn't have most likely given push for such character - we got Wonderful 101 instead for that very reason. But they at least got extensive representation and some moveset overhauls so I'm not as hard-pressed on them. I just feel SEGA could have gotten nice use out of them in their own possible crossover titles.

Oh man, i feel like you and i have some connection. You took the words right out of my mouth regarding Smash's pitiful attempt at becoming a "VG museum", seomthing the franchise will never actually achieve in the long run due to the many copyright shenanigans that will inevitably start popping up in the future. Everytime someone attempts to tell people on how Nintendo characters must still be a priority or should be taken into consideration, they get boo'd off the stage:

Guest characters are called GUESTS for a reason. I hate to sound like "THIRD PARTIES DOOK URR SLOOOTS, DER TOOK ER DER DERKEDER" Nintendo purist, but it does feel like that. I mean Tekken, Soul Calibur and the like all have guests (including stupid ones like Negan and 2B) but they never went beserk or overboard and fans didn't try to excuse it with "ITs AlL AbOUT HiStoRY Of -insert random thing here as an excuse-"

I kinda Disagree on Bayo. I don't like her in Smash at all and would wish her away in an attosecond, but she is as Pseudo-Nintendo as they get, you can thank Nintendo becoming Platinum's Sugar Daddy, since they funded Bayo 2 in one of their Many, many, many, many, MANY attempts at capturing that sweet sweet Mature audience that they seem to never catch on. They........aren't succeeding that much either.

But that same reason is why Bayo doesn't feel like a Nintendo character despite some ownership of the Sequel. Banjo on the other hand, legality aside, is a character whose aesthetic intentionally is meant to mimic Nintendo's iconic characters, who tend to be colorful and cartoony, with some exceptions such as the Metroid, F Zero and FE cast (Zelda is all over the place, Some designs of Link make him more "nintendo-like" such as the Toon Games and The Early Games artwork like LoZ 1 and ALttP, while others like Twilight Princess............don't)

I simply can't picture Banjo beign created AFTER Rare's departure from Nintendo. I mean look at Viva Piñata's characters. They look colorful and cute, but they don't fit with Nintendo's common character style.

I would be lying if it I said it has me feeling glad for what direction Smash-franchise it taken - and I'm not feeling confident it can keep such momentum for long. But I just can't help really feeling deeply disappointed for a very, very long time about how I ended up having wasting my investion on these series to things that weren't ever in radar of it's directors and company itself. I guess I has me wish there were just some more series like it out there that gelled more with me. Games like Marvel VS Capcom 3 and Crash: Nitro-Fueled were excellent in this regard with their impressive catalogue exploring throughout legacies of the companies involved - and the former had already show how more obscurer additions and a compelling moveset ideas weren't necessarily two mutually exclusive things to attain. I feel Smash could have done same beyond likes of Little Mac due how virtually any character in it (even a mere enemy NPC from Mario-games), can garner new-found interest nonetheless.

Nowadays I can't help feeling that Smash Bros. Ultimate setting such high standards to whatever franchises attempting to capture same fame, we're only going to see even more companies to flock on Smash to just serve as a more safer and profitable alternative over doing any innovations like that on their own. (Most likely due how hard these AAA-crossover IPs are to make in general - but there was a time there we nice sum of them around 90s to 2000s compared to today, IMO)

I wish Smash went the direction of MVC. When MVC had ONE Guest character (Norimaro in SF VS Marvel, a leftover from a SF collaboration with some japanese comedian) they threw him out instantly and never attempted it again. Im not saying this because i want every guest to go, but because Marvel Vs Capcom embraced their identity of Marvel and Capcom characters. No matter how irrelevant and obscure their characters could get, they will be still given a chance to shine something i cannot say for Nintendo's own characters anymore. I cannot see future Smash games pulling off obscure character anymore, while Capcom and Marvel embraced it as soon as possible, giving us Rocket Racoon, Shuma Gorath, Hayato, Son Son, and so on and so forth alongside the likes of Mega Man, Sir Artuhur, Spiderman, Wolverwine etc. They embraced those characters because all of them were part of the massive catalogue of characters both companies owned, shwoing their diverse line up of IPs.

(Though to be fair, MVC lost most of this diverse appeal with Infinite, which was basically MCU pandering for the Marvel side, but at least those still were Marvel property)

Also i agree on the last point. I don't want Smash to become a monopoly of gaming, in which the only chance for a Gaming IP to be in a Crossover in Smash. Last thing i want Smash to become is the Youtube of Platform fighters. Youtube has become a monopoly of video streaming (the SFW kind anyways........) and no one can compete with it at all, plus they have abandoned their own underdog Youtube Stars that build the platform, all in a painful attempt to catch the attention of all the celebrities to look trendy and popular and appeal to the lowest common denominator.

I can imagine a dystopian future where Smash Bros's equivalent of Youtube Rewind '18 would be having Master Chief, Saber, Kratos, Reimu, Gordon Freeman, and some Non gaming character like Goku on the roster all at the same time.

God, i do not want that to be a reality:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
You know, thinking on about the DK Warriors-concept... wouldn't the sheer badass and speedy combat style we saw in Jungle Beat be perfect for it?

Take the crazy flair exhibited on JB's Boss Battles as inspiration for Kongs' moves and animations during combat, building them with this mindset of giving them "over-the-top", high-speed moves for specials that'll clear out hordes of enemies at once.

Or even be for Boss Battles of their own? I mean, just look at the battles themselves - some of them are like Punch-Out on steroids, while some have DK deploy some ridiculously-crazy-that-it-works-ideas, like "jackhammering" his head as means to damage the black orb Scruff Roc's carrying during the 2nd battle.

It'd definitely make the Kongs be in their most badass yet, given they also get enough personal tweaks and characteristic flair to their moves.

I can easily see a mechanic where you during DK unleashing insane flurry of punches on ton of enemies at once, you can mash the buttons to boost the power... I'd love to play that kind of game.

Last edited:

Justin Little

Smash Ace
DK sales update:

Donkey Kong Country Returns on Wii and 3DS have both sold 6.53 mil. and 2.8 mil respectively. All together, DKCR has sold 9.4 mil. units.

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze on Wii U and Switch have both sold 2.01 mil. and 2.93 mil. respectively. All together, DKCTF has sold 4.94 mil. units.

Here's the source: https://www.resetera.com/threads/ni...ardware-sales-data-from-1983-to-present.2725/

The updated sales of the Switch version is on the last page as of this writing.

Great sales, but you know, "no one cares about a series of stupid monkeys and ugly crocodiles." :rolleyes:

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Still bums me out Tropical Freeze sold less than Returns when it is better than it in almost every possible way. Better gameplay, better level design, better OST (and original to boot), more Kongs, better graphics (a given), better enemies. Granted Returns released on the much more successful Wii and 3DS so that is a factor but the Switch version should honestly be double of what they are, given the platform.

Returns is good their isn't a bad DKC game but I still feel Returns is the worst DKC out of the lot. Yes I even think DKC3 and the original DKC is better than Returns. Returns just feels so sterile and bland to me compared to the rest of the series it definitely feels the most like a "NSMB" game. Though given how much the NSMB games sell despite how bland they are it doesn't shock me that Returns would be the best selling DK game since DK64.

Last edited:

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Tbf, TF on Switch is much more expensive than it was on Wii U. It being a port doesn't help. If it was cheaper or maybe if it included extra levels, worlds, etc. with the addition of Funky mode, it would've done much better.
Oh I agree 100% I too was one of the few complaining about the lack of new content besides an easy mode. If Returns on 3DS can get 8 new levels no excuse why Tropical Freeze couldn't have gotten a new world or a secret K.Rool boss fight or something especially considering Retro Studios hasnt developed/released jack **** since Tropical Freeze released in 2014... Tropical Freeze IMO is the laziest Wii U port Nintendo has done alongside NSMBUD.

That being said once again even with the lack of new content Tropical Freeze being amazing at is still should have sold better despite the price increase especially considering NSMBUD is sitting pretty at 8 million units sold despite it being a boring game as well as having the same amount of effort put into its port as Tropical Freeze.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Honestly given the sheer lack of consistent new releases for the DK franchise in the past 10 years, almost 3 million in sales for the Switch version of Tropical Freeze is pretty good. It certainly demonstrates there's an audience for further Country games, and a high profile one with solid marketing released at the right point would do big numbers.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
So I just finished the first DK Country on the Super NES Mini. Last time was... something like twenty years ago? Jeez, I'm old... But gosh, this game is still so good!

• I thought the game was longer than that. Finished it in around three hours.
  • I had forgotten how hard some levels can be. Especially on the ice.
  • All the music are at least very good, but the water themed one is still one of the best in the story of video game.
  • Had forgotten that on some levels, the weather or the time of the day changes. It's a great touch.
  • Had forgotten that you can't save whenever you want. It can be frustrating when you just defeated a boss, run to the next world because you're curious and excited, and then you have to complete several levels before you can save, because you can't go back without Funky's help.
  • Funky and Candy's initial functions are totally obsolete nowadays.
  • I saw several game over screens in the lasts worlds mostly because the save file doesn't remember how many lives you had when you saved. Now that I think of it, it was common back then. Even Mario 64 didn't save that information.
  • My last 2D platformer was Rayman Legends, and it's a bit weird to go back at the beginning of the level or the barrel checkpoint every time you die while there are so many invisible checkpoints in Rayman.
  • The bonus rooms bring you back! Why?!
  • Cranky Kong is a great character.
  • Had forgotten that Donkey and Diddy play very differently. Sometimes it actually makes a difference.
  • I still hate Croctopus.
  • I thought there were more mine-kart levels than that.
  • The developpers can be assholes sometimes: damn this purple Klaptrap at the very end of the level!!
  • The secret rooms are very fun to find. Too bad that you have to commit suicide if you used your barrel at the wrong place.
  • How could the "Cranky Kong challenge" become a thing? Even as a kid, it was always clear to me that it was nothing but a joke.

I'm at 70% of the game, and I think I'm gonna aim to the 100% (or 101?) before moving to another game. It's too bad that DK2 and 3 are not on the Super NES Mini, I never had the opportunity to play those.

Last edited:

Justin Little

Smash Ace
The more you get older and wiser, the more you realise that the core DK cast is just the Ducktales cast in disguise.

DK = Donald Duck (the usual lead, anger management issues)
Diddy Kong = Huey, Dewey, and Louie (pretty much an amalgamation of the three)
Dixie Kong = Webby (the reboot version of Webby)
Cranky Kong = Scrooge McDuck (pogo hopping, grumpy old animals)
Funky Kong = Launchpad (dangerous pilots)
King K. Rool = Glomgold (greedy ********)

And if you count the Banjo series as part of the same universe like I do...
Gruntilda = Magica De Spell (the witches)

Now if you excuse me, I'm going to go pitch this crossover idea to Capcom, Disney, and Nintendo.

Last edited:

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
You know, thinking on about the DK Warriors-concept... wouldn't the sheer badass and speedy combat style we saw in Jungle Beat be perfect for it?

Take the crazy flair exhibited on JB's Boss Battles as inspiration for Kongs' moves and animations during combat, building them with this mindset of giving them "over-the-top", high-speed moves for specials that'll clear out hordes of enemies at once.

Or even be for Boss Battles of their own? I mean, just look at the battles themselves - some of them are like Punch-Out on steroids, while some have DK deploy some ridiculously-crazy-that-it-works-ideas, like "jackhammering" his head as means to damage the black orb Scruff Roc's carrying during the 2nd battle.

It'd definitely make the Kongs be in their most badass yet, given they also get enough personal tweaks and characteristic flair to their moves.

I can easily see a mechanic where you during DK unleashing insane flurry of punches on ton of enemies at once, you can mash the buttons to boost the power... I'd love to play that kind of game.
Yes, I wanna ORA ORA ORA MUDA MUDA MUDA my opponents JoJo style into oblivion.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
If anything I feel like a Donkey Kong Warriors game is possible but it definitely wouldn’t be a thing at least before a hypothetical Super Mario/Mushroom Kingdom Warriors.

But yeah, the potential is definitely there, just like you showed.
The only thing I wonder is who would be the troops for the Kong army... Hmm if not too random, I think I’d pick the chained Kongs from Super Mario RPG for that role, except only with the chains and not the ball.
View attachment 291249
The Jungle Beat gibbons would make a nice drone army for a potential Donkey Kong Warriors game. Maybe Manky Kong too? Yeah they're bad in the original DKC but we haven't seen them since. So? I say make room for General Manky Kong!

Seriously what happened with the Manky Kongs? They would make for such a great anti hero trope within DKC. Sort of Donkey Kong's Wario, or straight up betrayer / backstabbing, because he (or they?) where once banished from DK Island?

Honestly, it would make for a great backstory. If I was in charge, I'd make Manky Kong a character of his own, selling himself out to K.Rool out of spite towards Donkey Kong.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
The Jungle Beat gibbons would make a nice drone army for a potential Donkey Kong Warriors game. Maybe Manky Kong too? Yeah they're bad in the original DKC but we haven't seen them since. So? I say make room for General Manky Kong!

Seriously what happened with the Manky Kongs? They would make for such a great anti hero trope within DKC. Sort of Donkey Kong's Wario, or straight up betrayer / backstabbing, because he (or they?) where once banished from DK Island?

Honestly, it would make for a great backstory. If I was in charge, I'd make Manky Kong a character of his own, selling himself out to K.Rool out of spite towards Donkey Kong.
My personal head canon is that Manky Kong was jumped and punched several times on his head by DK, causing a brain trauma who turned him good ala Kakarotto-Gokû, and so Lanky Kong was born.

Yeah, I just made that up, thank you very much.

Edit. By the way, if you're looking for soldiers for a DK Country Warriors title, why not regular animals like the ones we see in Returns' intro? Small elephants, zebras, giraffes, squirrels...

Last edited:

Justin Little

Smash Ace
Who here wants Bashmaster to be K. Rool's second in command in the next game, say I.

I.

For real though, he's probably my favorite DK villain besides K. Rool. Lord Fredrick is alright, I guess, but if I had any say in the development process of Tropical Freeze I would've probably made him the main villain. He has so much character, more so than any other boss in TF. He could be K. Rool's Ridley. Never the main villain, but still memorable all the same.

If he doesn't join forces with K. Rool, I still would want him to return somehow. The Snomads were well received in general so I could see the artic vikings come back whether friend or foe to the Kremling forces.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Who here wants Bashmaster to be K. Rool's second in command in the next game, say I.

I.

For real though, he's probably my favorite DK villain besides K. Rool. Lord Fredrick is alright, I guess, but if I had any say in the development process of Tropical Freeze I would've probably made him the main villain. He has so much character, more so than any other boss in TF. He could be K. Rool's Ridley. Never the main villain, but still memorable all the same.

If he doesn't join forces with K. Rool, I still would want him to return somehow. The Snomads were well received in general so I could see the artic vikings come back whether friend or foe to the Kremling forces.
Would be kinda cool!
(Imagine the same thing with Shake King from Wario Land teaming up with Captain Syrup.)

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace

I keep on wondering what the hell happened to the enemies in general from the old Rareware DKC games (my favorite is Cat ‘O nine tails btw).
Sorry if this is a pretty unpopular opinion but honestly, that’s exactly what I hate about Retro Studios. I mean, instead of making a DK game with the already iconic and memorable characters/enemies, like the Gnawties, the Zingers, and of course, the Kremlings, they completely ignore them and instead make way for their rather boring OC’s that don’t even fit that well in a DK game.

But yeah, I actually like the idea of having the Manky Kongs creating some sort of temporary alliance with the Kongs. I always wondered if there’s any type of connection between them and Lanky.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I keep on wondering what the hell happened to the enemies in general from the old Rareware DKC games (my favorite is Cat ‘O nine tails btw).
Sorry if this is a pretty unpopular opinion but honestly, that’s exactly what I hate about Retro Studios. I mean, instead of making a DK game with the already iconic and memorable characters/enemies, like the Gnawties, the Zingers, and of course, the Kremlings, they completely ignore them and instead make way for their rather boring OC’s that don’t even fit that well in a DK game.

But yeah, I actually like the idea of having the Manky Kongs creating some sort of temporary alliance with the Kongs. I always wondered if there’s any type of connection between them and Lanky.
Nah man, I like the variety. I don't always wanna be stomping on the same enemy types every game, and honestly Gnawties only were in one DKC and zingers/neckies were in 2. DK64 was kinda a throwback to DKC1 but even they had plenty of fresh enemies.

For the most part, DK averts Nintendo's formula of fighting the same enemies. Mario and Zelda etc always has koopa troopas and 'blins but DK's always starting from scratch with enemies. Even though we fought kremlings for 3 DKC's straight they didn't feel like the same old thing. That's a level of detail that shouldn't change, and while I want the kremlings to be the main enemy, a break from them every couple of games shouldn't be a problem. It makes the setting feel more alive, especially for a sidescroller.

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
Nah man, I like the variety. I don't always wanna be stomping on the same enemy types every game, and honestly Gnawties only were in one DKC and zingers/neckies were in 2. DK64 was kinda a throwback to DKC1 but even they had plenty of fresh enemies.

For the most part, DK averts Nintendo's formula of fighting the same enemies. Mario and Zelda etc always has koopa troopas and 'blins but DK's always starting from scratch with enemies. Even though we fought kremlings for 3 DKC's straight they didn't feel like the same old thing. That's a level of detail that shouldn't change, and while I want the kremlings to be the main enemy, a break from them every couple of games shouldn't be a problem. It makes the setting feel more alive, especially for a sidescroller.
I mean, I dig changes too but only when I find them appealing, of course.
But hey, to each their own, I personally have never grown fond of the Retro Studios’ OC’s.
To me they have always looked too much like rejected characters for a generic 3D kids’ movie like Surf’s Up (specially the Snowmads and Professor Chops). I just feel like the very least Retro Studios could’ve done is mimick Rare’s art style, but oh well...

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I mean, I dig changes too but only when they’re well done, of course.
But hey, to each their own, I personally have never grown fond of the Retro Studios’ OC’s.
To me they have always looked too much like rejected characters for a generic 3D kids’ movie like Surf’s Up. I just feel like the very least Retro Studios could’ve done is mimick Rare’s art style, but oh well...
Well done is a tad subjective though. I did a quick run of every DKCs' enemy designs, and honestly they all have a goofy edge to them. Some come off as cute like the Klaptraps and Tucks but very few look out of place in a DKC with Bashmaster being the exception. Gnawties look mindless, which is the point but they seem no less intelligent than those dodos in TF's first stage. Even the badass ones like Kasplat and Krusha are outnumbered by the exaggeratedly goofy Klumps and roided out Krunchas or silly Kuff N Klouts. Tikis are the odd ones out being possessed instruments but considering that Oil Drum boss, Belcha and Bleak these living objects aren't much of a stretch either. Snowmads look like they'd be fine in Diddy Kong Racing or DK64, given the renders we see of those enemies.

All 5 games have enemies that'd be right at home as Saturday morning cartoon flavored characters. Sure, there's a slightly dangerous flair to some of them, but they're all on the silly side, K. Rool especially. Really, the only thing that clashes is the graphical fidelity, but I wouldn't hold that against Rare's era of DK. This all seems to be a matter of tastes and preferences honestly.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Retro may have wanted to use the Kremlings and K Rool at some point, but you had quality control Tanabe saying “Do they really need to come back?”, so who knows... DKCR was the only one where the enemies felt more forgettable for me (didn’t like the anti-Kremling and Kong revisionism that was used for the marketing of the game too), but TF easily made up for the variety despite the lack of reptilian familiars.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
Gregg Mayles has been reported to not like doing the same thing twice with game design. It's why the sequels of his games (DKC2, Banjo-Tooie) tend to expand upon or otherwise delineate from the formula from the game before it. In that sense, Retro's take on Donkey Kong is fairly faithful to Rare's design philosophy.

Although I disagree with the assessment of Zelda's enemies being reused in the way Mario enemies are. You might find Moblins and Octorocks and such in most Zelda games but they almost always have completely different designs and function in different ways from game to game. Hell, even Mario games offer variety here and there (unless you're a modern Paper Mario game).

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
Something I do lament about the Rare Nintendo split is that we never got the chance to see various Kongs take out baddies' from Banjo Kazooie or Conker.

Dixie Kong beating up Tediz or Donkey Kong punching Gruntilda would have made any crossover game worth it.
For sure, that would’ve been awesome!
I like to believe that BK and Conker would’ve respectively been like the Yoshi and Wario of the Donkey Kong series (if you catch my drift), had Rareware stayed with Nintendo.
1604922595723.jpeg

Man, if only...

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
I like to believe that BK and Conker would’ve respectively been like the Yoshi and Wario of the Donkey Kong series (if you catch my drift), had Rareware stayed with Nintendo.
View attachment 291498

Man, if only...
Noticed the easter egg with the Crocmire head.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
View attachment 291499
And there’s Mr. Game and Watch somewhere on thIs level’s background too.
May not be my cup of tea videogame company but if there’s something I have to give credit to Retro Studios for is the cool references/cameos they usually sneak in.
Don't forget Samus's Gunship in the bayou level of Tropical Freeze:
Samus_Ship_B.png

Dinoman96

Smash Master
The thing is, that's not entirely Retro's fault.

It was Miyamoto and Tanabe that thought about it and came to the conclusion that K. Rool didn't need to come back, and instructed Retro to come up with new villains.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=353&v=uAw2UnqHJt0&feature=emb_logo

So, this is something we talked about fairly early on with Miyamoto San. What are we going to do about King K. Rool? Is he coming back? We thought about it and we said, 'does he really need to? Why don't we we just come up with something completely new? And this time, make sure there are no crocodiles in there.' So that's when I asked Retro to come up with some fresh new ideas, and that's when they came up with this new enemy concept of the Tiki.
It was a mandate from the higher ups at NCL, pretty much.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
It almost feels like it's been gradual process of Nintendo getting back to elements of the SNES trilogy.

-10 years of no traditional platforming titles outside the GBA ports.
-The release of Returns without K Rool focusing on just DK and DIddy.
-Tropical Freeze having Dixie and Cranky as playable characters (with Funky getting his shot in the Switch port)
-K Rool himself returning in Smash Ultimate.

Basically if there ever was a time and build for a full blown DKC game with the gang against the Kremlings, its now.

Justin Little

Smash Ace
View attachment 291498

Man, if only...
I love this image. While it feels BK in Smash seems like a one time thing, perhaps Nintendo and MS could further improve their relationship to where this image could turn into reality.

Conker should be carrying Franky the Pitchfork to be consistent with the other buddy duos though. I would also put Yooka Laylee in there, but that's just me.

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Sales data for FP2 was strong, and Steve wasn’t even confirmed before the end of September so the only one that caused this was Min Min, a first-party character.
Byleth and Min Min were my favorite DLC characters by far. That being said had the 2nd character been a 1st party character in the 2nd pass it would've pushed me over the edge to purchase the 2nd pass by impulse but then Steve happened...and reaffirmed me to just buy the characters I like individually. I dont care about a full roster by any means and I rarely play Smash anymore anyways. I started as a casual competitive player to just a casual player (still with no items on though).

Either way I hope we get at least 1 or 2 more 1st party characters in this final pass not only for Smash but the new amiibo that come along with. My 1st party amiibo shelf is almost complete. Byleth and Min Min will complete my shelf but if we get 2 more 1st party characters that dont have amiibo based off of them yet I will gladly replace my Bayonetta and Sonic amiibos with whoever gets added. I will find another spot for those 2.

Top Bottom