• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Filled my Scoure Games poll out last week and my most wanted fighters are:
1. Bandana Dee (Kirby)
2. Poochy (Yoshi)
3. Shake King (Wario)
4. Heavy (Team Fortress)
5. Amaterasu (Okami)
6. Octane (Rocket League)

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
1. Bandana Dee (Kirby)
2. Poochy (Yoshi)
3. Shake King (Wario)
4. Heavy (Team Fortress)
5. Amaterasu (Okami)
One I love Bandana Dee too, two, three, four, five hey support for Ammy, five, six....
Wait... no Dixie vote there.

Posting in the Dixie thread and no voting for Dixie....

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
One I love Bandana Dee too, two, three, four, five hey support for Ammy, five, six....
Wait... no Dixie vote there.

Posting in the Dixie thread and no voting for Dixie....
Oh noes, I has upset the all mighty Dixie.
(I support her for Smash.)

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
Oh noes, I has upset the all mighty Dixie.
(I support her for Smash.)
Oh it's fine. Dixie understands we all have our preferences.

On the other hand, there is the other guy who you might want to take cover from:

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Kind of ironic that I remember during Smash 4 days a lot of people claimed Sakurai was against Dkc but in every other installment of Smash he seems to show a bit more respect for the series compared to others parts of Nintendo (outside of Retro Studios) by treating it more as it's own series rather than just part of the Mario franchise, granted it certainly could be better than it is now but I'm willing to be grateful about what we got particularly with Brawl and Ultimate.
I agree. I just think some higher ups at NoJ don't respect DKC that much. After all it seems they were the ones preventing K. Rool from returning multiple times before they saw his ENORMOUS popularity in the Smash Ballot: https://smashboards.com/threads/news-how-fans-brought-back-k-rool.457451/

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
1. Bandana Dee (Kirby)
2. Poochy (Yoshi)
3. Shake King (Wario)
4. Heavy (Team Fortress)
5. Amaterasu (Okami)
That's fine and all but this is unnecessary for the thread. Wasn't really any point in sharing TBH; it's fine if she's not your most wanted but these characters have no connection to her.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
1. Bandana Dee (Kirby)
2. Poochy (Yoshi)
3. Shake King (Wario)
4. Heavy (Team Fortress)
5. Amaterasu (Okami)
So uhh.... you could post this in the Newcomer Discussion Thread, the Social Thread, and the character support threads of Bandanna Dee, Poochy, Shake King, Heavy, Amaterasu, and Octane. Not really relevant here.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
: Anybody who makes a list, should not do it without a second wrist! Anybody who doesn't put Dixie into their list here better beware! Or else we will come for their underwear!

Last edited:

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
One thing that gives me hope is that Hyle Russell, the founder of DK Vine who apparently has some industry connections, insists that "the future of DK is brighter than ever" (or something like that).

I believe it. I'm pretty sure Good-Feel is working on a new DK game as we speak. I feel it in my jellies.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
If that's true, I'd have to judge from seeing actual game screens or video, but I'm not exactly enthused with the idea of Good Feel being on DK. I have found their platformers kind of boring.

I think Retro has raised the bar to a level that I have difficulty imagine Good Feel reaching. And it's even harder to imagine Good Feel doing a successful pull up on that bar, which Retro has done twice now.

It's been 70 years or its equivalent in terms of how it feels since the last DK game. And the last DK game was a showstopper. I want the next DK game to show stop even more. It's hard to trust Good Feel with that.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
Wario Land: Shake It/The Shake Dimension, Kirby's Epic Yarn, and Yoshi's Woolly World are all phenomenal. Yoshi's Crafted World is the only one that's kinda lacking. I'd totally trust them with DK (as long as they got someone good to make the music).

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
They are pleasant games that look very nice, but I think the DK games are way more "exciting" than Wario, Yoshi and Kirby. Just entirely different types of platformers. Especially the Retro games. But I'm open to being surprised. They are talented at what they do.

I personally am hoping for an internal Nintendo studio doing a DK game, maybe 3D Mario team. But that's probably wishful thinking. So if anybody has spare eyelashes, you know what to wish for.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
If that's true, I'd have to judge from seeing actual game screens or video, but I'm not exactly enthused with the idea of Good Feel being on DK. I have found their platformers kind of boring.

I think Retro has raised the bar to a level that I have difficulty imagine Good Feel reaching. And it's even harder to imagine Good Feel doing a successful pull up on that bar, which Retro has done twice now.

It's been 70 years or its equivalent in terms of how it feels since the last DK game. And the last DK game was a showstopper. I want the next DK game to show stop even more. It's hard to trust Good Feel with that.
Good Feel can do it. After all they got Etsunobu Ebisu and some of his old team members that worked on the Ganbare Goemon/Mystical Ninja games back in the day for Konami. Those games were some of the best games on the Super Famicom/SNES and N64. Underrated masterpieces honestly.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
Eh.... Donkey Kong Country with a cute art style could work. But Good Feel is always about collectibles and leaves level design as accesible as possible. I don't think that's what most DK fans are looking for. In a series known for its ruthless, grounded and amazingly designed level design. Also, not the biggest fan of Crafted World's soundtrack since Tomiya left. I couldn't go past World 1 without putting Woolly World's soundtrack on top of the game (Which I LOOOOOVE, give it a listen, it doesn't get enough appreciation).

Last edited:

Justin Little

Smash Ace
I like Good Feel, but I'm not sure about them taking over the main Country series. A spin-off of some sort could work.

If Retro is too busy, then Playtonic would be my next choice to take over the mainline series. Impossible Lair is better than DKCR and almost as good as Tropical Freeze. I think with the right budget and some Nintendo guidance they could make an excellent entry. If not mainline, then they could make Diddy and DIxie's Kongquest 2, a spin-off/sequel that plays more like the older games.

I got a funny feeling Retro was working on a 3D DK prototype that either didn't go anywhere, is still in development, or another studio has taken over where Retro left off. I believe Tanabe flirted with the idea of a 3D DK, and you can see elements of that in Tropical Freeze. IMO, It's the next step for the franchise to have it's own Metroid Prime or Ocarina of Time.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
One thing I like about the Donkey Kong games are the minecart levels and I would love to see more of them in a new Donkey Kong Country soon. (Roasting Rails and Sawmill Thrill were awesome.)

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
I love Wario Land Shake It and Kirbys Epic Yarn but didnt love Wooly World and thought Crafted World was just okay (just not a Yoshi fan in general) so Good-Feel is 50/50 for me. I find their platformers more easy, slower paced and collectible/exploration oriented something DKC is not. DKC is a very fast paced challenging and action platformer series.

Do I think Good-Feel could do that? Maybe. But have they given me any reason to believe they could? Not yet. I honestly think Playtonic or Monster Games with a small select group from Retro (they did the 3DS DKCR port and co-developed TF along with Retro) should make the next DKC game. Good-Feel could make an awesome DK spin-off though.

That being said I REALLY hope DK gets it "Switch treatment" soon as in taking franchises and elevating them to the best they can be. Mario Odyssey to many (not me) is considered the best 3D Mario to date, BOTW took Zelda in a whole new direction and refreshed the franchise, Fire Emblem: Three Houses is the best FE IMO the production values are great, gameplay is streamlined and refined, and the game is fully VA. Also of course Smash Ultimate being the game that it is. Oh and New Horizons looks to be the best Animal Crossing game hands down.

Tropical Freeze is great and one of the best 2D platformers of all time but lets be honest the game didn't really do anything to advance the DK IP forward and didn't "change the game" sorta speak. DK IMO needs its "Odyssey or BOTW or Three Houses" moment soon.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
This is an old post, But thought I would bring it back since we are on topic about it again.

There are a only handful of developers out there that I can think of that Nintendo would actually have work on the Donkey Kong franchise whether it's Country/3D/Spinoff.

1st/2nd Party Development Teams:

Retro Studios:
- Donkey Kong Country series
- Metroid Prime series

Nintendo EPD:
- Super Mario series (2D/3D Games)
- Donkey Kong Jungle Beat

Next Level Games:
- Super Mario Strikers series
- Luigi's Mansion series
- Punch Out !!!
- Metroid Prime: Federation Force

3rd Party Development Teams:

Ubisoft Milan/Paris:
- Mario and Rabbids Kingdom Battle/Donkey Kong Adventure DLC

Playtonic Games:
- Yooka-Laylee
- Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair

I'm sure Nintendo's in-house development teams are up to the task, But I would prefer if the Donkey Kong IP got handed over to a Western developer seeing how that's really the only time that the series has actually thrived (Rareware & Retro Studios), I know I sound like a broken record, But my developer of choice would be Playtonic Games with co-development by Retro Studios (That is If they have the extra man power for assistance) to offset Playtonic Game's smaller development team.

Retro Studios have shown that they are more than capable of carrying the franchise, But with them taking over Metroid Prime 4 development it may be a while if we get anything DK from them (Unless that was what they have been working on all those years or worse case scenario it got cancelled).

Next Level Games doesn't get mentioned much, But they have shown that they are very capable of handling Nintendo's IP and making great games with them, The Super Mario Strikers series is really fun and they did an amazing job with Luigi's Mansion 3 which I feel will be the last one from that series in a while, So it seems like the time is ripe for them to move on to another franchise and Donkey Kong seems like a really great fit for them.

Don't know too much about Ubisoft Milan/Paris and didn't play Kingdom Battle because honestly for me the Rabbids were a dealbreaker and I don't have too much interest in the genre that they were tackling, But I heard it was still a great game and that they did a solid job with DK DLC, which Grant Kirkhope scored and the studio director (Davide Soliane) is a big fan of Rareware too.

I feel like these are the most qualified, likeliest and realistic choices for handling the Donkey Kong franchise and me personally hope it comes down to Retro Studios or Playtonic Games or and it's a long shot ,but if possible maybe even both, If neither of those are an option then I would love to see Next Level Games take on the franchise.

Last edited:

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
I like Good Feel, but I'm not sure about them taking over the main Country series. A spin-off of some sort could work.

If Retro is too busy, then Playtonic would be my next choice to take over the mainline series. Impossible Lair is better than DKCR and almost as good as Tropical Freeze. I think with the right budget and some Nintendo guidance they could make an excellent entry. If not mainline, then they could make Diddy and DIxie's Kongquest 2, a spin-off/sequel that plays more like the older games.

I got a funny feeling Retro was working on a 3D DK prototype that either didn't go anywhere, is still in development, or another studio has taken over where Retro left off. I believe Tanabe flirted with the idea of a 3D DK, and you can see elements of that in Tropical Freeze. IMO, It's the next step for the franchise to have it's own Metroid Prime or Ocarina of Time.
This. Boom Bloom Blast - Breakthrough has to be my favorite DKC Barrel Blast level ever. And it's not even in a Donkey Kong Country game.

Or give them enough budget to make a 3D DK game. The first Yooka Laylee had ambition but it's clear they ran out of budget midway through. So many worlds that felt like they wanted to fill them with stuff and collectibles but they weren't able to.

But there is also that report of other team taking over DK.... yeah... that was a long time ago. Wish I could say we were gettting something this year. But I wouldn't bet it. DKC Returns and Tropical Freeze were announced and released in less than a year. Could we see that repeating this year?

Last edited:

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
Dukemon102 Dukemon102 you 200%'d Tropical Freeze TWICE?! Mad respect! My Wii U gamepad is still broken, but I might just suck it up and buy DKCTF on Switch.

No worries.
Wow thank you. Except it's not really that hard if you have played the game to death and you are using the objectively best Kong (In all senses, we all know who it is, sorry Funky). Except for Icicle Arsenal, screw the final barrel section when you are on hard mode.

Technically the touch screen of the Gamepad is useless for Tropical Freeze. So you can still play it. Or is the gamepad completely broken?

Anyway. I went back to the Wii U version to compare it to the Switch one and is incredible how big of a difference the jump from 720p to 1080p can make. I can't unsee the jaggies on Wii U after I jumped to the Switch version.
That, portability, the nasal surgery DK got, the cute animation of Dixie playing with the Joy Cons, the much faster loading times, Funky mode and the new credits theme are all the changes the port got.
I don't regret buying it again.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
Since I slept through the Good Feel discussion, I have an idea for that: claymation Donkey Kong. The ACM graphics and animation style of the SNES games always gave off a claymation sort of vibe to me, and it's the kind of thing I think Good Feel could really nail (they already did it for Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, though obviously that was in a more cutesy style fitting of Kirby).

Though they might be more suited to a spin-off or other tangential Donkey Kong game, where I think we're probably due for a more main-line game now, so IDK if they're my first choice at this moment in time. I just think they could do something interesting with the IP.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Well I did my part on the "Source Gaming" poll, I mostly went 3rd Party because there really isn't any 1st Party franchise/characters left that I care much about other than a couple and would really like to see the crossover aspect pushed even further by adding more big 3rd Party icons, While she is a long shot hopefully she ranks up high and really shows Sakurai how committed and serious Rareware fans are about their characters, It worked for King K. Rool and it worked for Banjo-Kazooie, Maybe... just maybe it might work for Dixie Kong.

I tried to be reasonably realistic with the ones that I would like and can see as a solid possibilities for the season 2 pass.

My Source Gaming Fan Ballot.

1st Party

1. Inteleon/8th Generation (Pokemon)
2. Dixie Kong (Donkey Kong)

3rd Party

3. Crash Bandicoot
4. Master Chief (Halo)
5. Rayman
6. Heihachi (Tekken)

Inteleon (Most Wanted 1st Party Character)

Crash Bandicoot (Most Wanted 3rd Party Character)

Last edited:

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
Let's cast our ideal Donkey Kong movie.

• Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson as DK
  • Jaleel White as Diddy
  • Chiara Zanni as Dixie
  • Danny DeVito as Cranky
  • Aaron Paul as Funky
  • Alec Baldwin as King K. Rool
  • John Mulaney as Squawks

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
My movie is animated:

Frank Welker as DK
Shameik Moore as Diddy
Tara Strong as Dixie
Lil John as Funky
Lewis Black as Cranky
Betty White as Wrinkly
Eddie Murphy as Swanky
Scarlett Johansson as Candy
Grey Delisle as Tiny
David Harbour as Chunky
Christopher Walken as Lanky
Keith David as K.Rool
Chris Hemsworth as Krusha
Lavell Crawford as Klump
Keegan Michael Key as Green Kritter
Jordan Peele as Red Kritter
Kevin Hart as Blue Kritter

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
My movie is animated too. Forgot to mention that. I don't wanna put a bunch of actors in ape suits.

Also, totally stealing Lewis Black as Cranky.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Wow thank you. Except it's not really that hard if you have played the game to death and you are using the objectively best Kong (In all senses, we all know who it is, sorry Funky). Except for Icicle Arsenal, screw the final barrel section when you are on hard mode.

Technically the touch screen of the Gamepad is useless for Tropical Freeze. So you can still play it. Or is the gamepad completely broken?

Anyway. I went back to the Wii U version to compare it to the Switch one and is incredible how big of a difference the jump from 720p to 1080p can make. I can't unsee the jaggies on Wii U after I jumped to the Switch version.
That, portability, the nasal surgery DK got, the cute animation of Dixie playing with the Joy Cons, the much faster loading times, Funky mode and the new credits theme are all the changes the port got.
I don't regret buying it again.
The screen on the gamepad is cracked, and I can't even choose which user to start the Wii U menu with. Sound works just fine, but the buttons are unresponsive aside from the + Button, B Button and Power Button. No idea where my wiimote went so there's no way I can even play anything on it. It sucks because I was gonna bring proof of me beating DK Isle on Hard Mode with strictly DK but without photo evidence I'm all talk ATM. It's fine overall though, I'll get around these dilemmas someday.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
My Donkey Kong movie is neither animated nor live-action. It's a series of hypnotic, undulating wavelines to hypnotize the audience into spreading the word about Dixie Kong's potential in Smash.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Send a copy to Sakurai.
In all seriousness it doesn't look like Sakurai's can make that decision anymore. For the Smash DLC, it looks like Nintendo has been proposing ideas to Sakurai to see if he can put their proposed fighter in or not.

All we can do is hope Nintendo suggested Dixie Kong and that Sakurai agreed to it, back when they planned Fighter's Pass Vol. 2.

So basically we need to send my movie to Furukawa, the new president of Nintendo of Japan. Get him to wake up from approving so many Nintendo gacha games and make him go bananas at Dixie Kong being in Smash.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Imagine how cool a Dixie Kong Amiibo with her guitar would be. Sigh... It sucks to think about it because I know we are probably never going to get it lol.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Diddy and his wingman

Diddy and Dixie would be the most dominant duo in Smash Bros. without a doubt. They would be king and queen of Smash.

Top Bottom