• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

Justin Little

Smash Ace

Hey now. Give old school Link some credit. He can't even jump unless he's near the edge or has some sort of accessory.

cybersai

Smash Ace
I dunno, if we really were getting a big mainline Donkey Kong game this year, I think it would have been shown off in the direct. There's no reason to keep that hidden.

Makes me wonder if instead of a major game it'll just be a spinoff or side game of some kind. We've had spinoffs in the past like Donkey Konga, King of Swing/Jungle Climber, or hell even Diddy Kong Racing (and the canceled Donkey Kong Racing), so it's possible. Dixie Kong usually appears in most of these spinoffs so hopefully she has a presence in them if only so she doesn't disappear from the games again for another decade like in the early 2000's.

cybersai

Smash Ace
Some of the unannounced ones are Pokemon, a 2D Metroid which Nintendo has apparently been sitting on for awhile, and Wind Waker/Twilight Princess are pretty much implied to be ported too by insiders.

When I think of a mainline Donkey Kong game I think of a 2D platformer, but I honestly don't think this will be the third game of the "Returns" trilogy like people are expecting. I honestly think if we do get a DK game it'll be something completely different.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Honestly I could see a lot of particular franchises being held off in terms of information because that's been Nintendo's growing habit the past couple of years. I think the heavy hitter IP's will get stuff announced way in advance (BOTW2, Splatoon 3, Animal Crossing) but the more modest titles or spin-offs often get their release announced much closer to release. Basically a lot of the former are in many ways business announcements to future investors and retailers in the context of long term fiscal plans, while the latter are very much customer focused. A DK and/or 2D Metroid (because that's the only realistic variation that could come out this year) feel like the kind of projects Nintendo would spotlight at an E3 for release in the fall/holiday season.

The latter half of 2021 with 3D Zelda ports and a Pokémon remake while supplemented by a new Donkey Kong title feels realistic to me.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I dunno, if we really were getting a big mainline Donkey Kong game this year, I think it would have been shown off in the direct. There's no reason to keep that hidden.

Makes me wonder if instead of a major game it'll just be a spinoff or side game of some kind. We've had spinoffs in the past like Donkey Konga, King of Swing/Jungle Climber, or hell even Diddy Kong Racing (and the canceled Donkey Kong Racing), so it's possible. Dixie Kong usually appears in most of these spinoffs so hopefully she has a presence in them if only so she doesn't disappear from the games again for another decade like in the early 2000's.
I think it makes sense to save a big DKC announcement for E3 so we have to be patient.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yeah, I mean even BOTW2 is still mum on an actual release date, so it's on the same boat as DK and Metroid.

I say we wait until July, the DK series' birth month, then we panic. :4pacman:

Happy North American/European Anniversary to Tropical Freeze!

Incidentally, I finally got around to playing that. :banjohere:

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
With Zelda, we have seen a trailer, with Metroid, we know it's in the works. Splatoon 3 has both, and was just showcased this last Direct. Sure, Donkey Kong could be shown similarly next time, but there's Pokemon and Fire Emblem to take account for, who also are known to take huge amounts of attention.

BotW2, Pokemon, Platoon and Metroid are potentially big enough to be worth basically all of the attention for Nintendo at E3. Sure the more the better, but I wouldn't hold hope for E3 myself since last year it got blown off because of COVID-19, I don't expect this year to be held either.

Might simply be 2022. The rate this is going, BotW2 is even gonna be pushed off another year or so. It might indeed be way too early to lose hope.

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
With Zelda, we have seen a trailer, with Metroid, we know it's in the works. Splatoon 3 has both, and was just showcased this last Direct. Sure, Donkey Kong could be shown similarly next time, but there's Pokemon and Fire Emblem to take account for, who also are known to take huge amounts of attention.

BotW2, Pokemon, Platoon and Metroid are potentially big enough to be worth basically all of the attention for Nintendo at E3. Sure the more the better, but I wouldn't hold hope for E3 myself since last year it got blown off because of COVID-19, I don't expect this year to be held either.

Might simply be 2022. The rate this is going, BotW2 is even gonna be pushed off another year or so. It might indeed be way too early to lose hope.
It's definately happening, they've already confirmed that it's going to be online. The question is will Nintendo be there? The organisers are charging extortionate prices for the "privilege" of announcing stuff there, but with Geoff's Summer of Games being relatively successful last year, I reckon most devs will just have there big reveals on that platform instead.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
In any case, Nintendo has basically only relied on Directs or other online presentations on their own terms for around a decade at this point, so it's not like they're tied to E3's panels anymore.

I still think that at the very least we should wait for something to happen at July. While I don't necessarily think they might go as far as having a DK Direct, they might show something then.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
If Nintendo is confident enough to bring back traditional General Directs then I'm sure we'll get more this day, probably one in the summer time and one in the fall like back in the good old days.

Though I think the Summer Direct will be its own standalone thing instead of being attached to E3 or whatever.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

But Planet Cool Planet Cool asked Hyle Russell from DK Vine about the DKC situation and he said "Wait until the Summer." I would put stock into Hyle's words.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
It could be that after seeing how announcing Metroid Prime 4, NMH3, BotW2 and Bayonetta 3 so early backfired badly, Nintendo decided to only announce games they are absolutely certain are at least 85% ready to go. So new games will be announced closer to their official retail release, which means there's still time to reveal a new DK game for its anniversary.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
But Planet Cool Planet Cool asked Hyle Russell from DK Vine about the DKC situation and he said "Wait until the Summer." I would put stock into Hyle's words.
Well that seems reasonable. Hyle wouldn't lie about this, as a passionate DKC fan himself.

This thread and the Isaac thread give me hope. Really there haven't been many threads that remain so positive and hopeful.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Well that seems reasonable. Hyle wouldn't lie about this, as a passionate DKC fan himself.

This thread and the Isaac thread give me hope. Really there haven't been many threads that remain so positive and hopeful.
If there is a third pass, it should be strictly in fulfilling fan favorite requests, long overdue characters and filling in series with a long gap since a new character (so Dixie, Isaac, new Zelda rep, etc).

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Something I think that speaks to DK having some decent chance this year is that Nintendo's never been keen on having an absence of DK games for too long (even if they accommodated that via ports). Jungle Beat for GC in 2004, Jungle Beat Wii in 2008, DKC Returns in 2010, DKC Returns 3D in 2013, Tropical Freeze in 2014, and Tropical Freeze Switch in 2018.

Barring an unlikely release of Returns yet again, another DK game does feel like its somewhat due. Moreover with no Yoshi, Kirby, or even 2D Mario announced, it would have a lot of the field to itself if it did come out this year. In fact if Zippo's information is legit one could imagine how Nintendo is covering all their bases in terms of genre in the second half of 2021/early 2022.

JRPG - Pokémon remake
Tactical RPG - Fire Emblem (remake?)
Action Adventure - HD Zelda games
Platformer - Donkey Kong Country
Metroidvania - Metroid (duh)
Party Game - Mario Party 12

Spread those out over the months and there could be a significant game popping out roughly every 4 weeks.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
If there is a third pass, it should be strictly in fulfilling fan favorite requests, long overdue characters and filling in series with a long gap since a new character (so Dixie, Isaac, new Zelda rep, etc).
I agree. But realistically, Nintendo is going to interfere with the roster choices again if they announce Fighter's Pass 3 as all the DLC characters have to be promotional ones in their eyes.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
So if we get a third DKC Returns game this year do you guys think K. Rool will finally be back as the villain with his return in Smash? I miss the Kremlings.
I doubt it will be in the trend of the Retro "Returns" games honestly. Retro has their hands full on Metroid Prime 4. They won't be working on another DKC game, even if they have the perfect engine for it on Switch with the Tropical Freeze remake. In general, the Snowmads are a perfect base to build Kremlings off on, but I think they'll be back with another, new type of game before we'll see another DKCR type of game. And Kremlings likely will be there.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So if we get a third DKC Returns game this year do you guys think K. Rool will finally be back as the villain with his return in Smash? I miss the Kremlings.
K. Rool made it in Smash so obviously he's going to return to the DKC games along with the Kremlings. On the Japanese website for the Smash Ballot, it said the Ballot's data would be used for future games so there you go.

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
K. Rool made it in Smash so obviously he's going to return to the DKC games along with the Kremlings. On the Japanese website for the Smash Ballot, it said the Ballot's data would be used for future games so there you go.
...Didn't they mean future Smash games? Which is why the ballot heavily influenced Ultimate's base roster?

GAINAX

Smash Journeyman
Seeing the mock up dioramas for the Donkey Kong expansion at Super Nintendo Land has me worried. It's very much in the visual style of Returns.
If they've been making a DK game in Japan for the last 3 years, you'd think some Kremling stuff would be on show here if they plan for them to return.
DKL.jpg

Then again, they might be doing it to stop spoilers from getting out.

Last edited:

GAINAX

Smash Journeyman
Meeting Mario, Luigi, Peach, & Toad in Super Nintendo World - Universal  Studios Japan - YouTube

So seeing that they had costumed characters for the Mario section of the Super Nintendo World Park, what costumed characters do you think they would have (or would want to have) in the DK section? I'm thinking DK's obviously a given, Diddy too, but I'm hopeful for Dixie, Funky, etc.

I would love to talk to a Japanese Funky Kong.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Is gonna be DK and Diddy. I have serious doubts we get anyone else MAYBE Cranky if we're lucky since Miyamoto has his hands on the park and he was the one who told Retro Cranky had to be in Returns as he likes his character and so far the DK area seems very Returns inspired.

Justin Little

Smash Ace
Funky's shop is also there so I wouldn't be surprised to see him and hopefully Dixie Kong. Since this DK section has been in development way before K. Rool's comeback, I don't expect to see the Kremlings, at least for now. Perhaps in the future we'll see certain elements get Kremlified.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
...Didn't they mean future Smash games? Which is why the ballot heavily influenced Ultimate's base roster?
No they meant future games in general as they said "This data will be used fir future titles." Or something like that. They implied it in a way without saying it was for Smash.

Ed-boy

Smash Journeyman
Meeting Mario, Luigi, Peach, & Toad in Super Nintendo World - Universal  Studios Japan - YouTube

So seeing that they had costumed characters for the Mario section of the Super Nintendo World Park, what costumed characters do you think they would have (or would want to have) in the DK section? I'm thinking DK's obviously a given, Diddy too, but I'm hopeful for Dixie, Funky, etc.
My heart says Dixie, Funky, & Lanky.
My brain & my gut say it'll just be DK & Diddy. Maybe Cranky.

Actually, isn't the Minecart Madness ride supposed to have a DK animatronic of some kind?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
No they meant future games in general as they said "This data will be used fir future titles." Or something like that. They implied it in a way without saying it was for Smash.
I also think the ballot was held for Smash alone. However, kind of hard for Nintendo to ignore such a hard outcry for King K.Rool. There's no reason to exclude him from future DK games at all.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I also think the ballot was held for Smash alone. However, kind of hard for Nintendo to ignore such a hard outcry for King K.Rool. There's no reason to exclude him from future DK games at all.
It's like what Hyle Russell's source said in that How Fans Brought K. Rool Back article that it was the higher ups at Nintendo keeping K. Rool down for years until they saw his amazing performance in the Smash Ballot.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Even beyond the ballot there might be value to utilizing K Rool if just to take advantage of the attention given to him by Smash. Given that the last DKC game (even the Switch version) came out before Ultimate and prior to him even being revealed for SSB), a lot of the potential familiarity with him was largely with older players or hardcore DKC fans. But now, with 23 million buyers having experienced him in it, you now have loads of younger fans exposed to him and (especially with those that have played the classics on SNES online) possibly interested in seeing him appear again.

Essentially K Rool coming back would both be ideal for a lot of fans, and also the least risky move to take in appealing to the massive Switch install base. Now that's no guarantee of anything especially from a company like Nintendo that never saw a needless game/story experiment they didn't like, but there's a far more obvious gain to utilizing him now than there was eight years ago.

Last edited:

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
It's also kind of hard for Nintendo to ignore such a hard outcry for good online, yet they do anyways, so...

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
And DK Summit is live in Mario Kart Tour!

Even if the game itself has things left to be desired in the quality department, I can't deny getting a rush of nostalgia from the old Mario Kart Wii days (back when they were willing to put Funky and Diddy in a home console Mario Kart, as well as them and Dixie, Rool, and Tiny in Mario Super Sluggers).

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
So is Dixie the only playable character to not have been playable in Mario Kart before?
Playable character in Mario Kart Tour? Among the DK characters, yes. Outside of the DK characters there are plenty like King Bob-omb, Nabbit etc.

Although if you count Pauline as a DK character then she fits that category as well.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Playable character in Mario Kart Tour? Among the DK characters, yes. Outside of the DK characters there are plenty like King Bob-omb, Nabbit etc.

Although if you count Pauline as a DK character then she fits that category as well.
Ok, I don't follow MK rosters outside of knowing fan favorites like Orange Magenta Teenage Diamond Peach in Technicolor! so I thought that Dixie was the only true newcomer to Tour.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
Pauline is a weird character to categorize. Odyssey cemented her as a Mario character in my eyes, but prior to that she only appeared in Donkey Kong Arcade and its variations, as well as the very DK arcade-inspired Mario VS Donkey Kong series.

Calling her a Donkey Kong character is like calling Mario a Donkey Kong character; technically true, but people don't like to hear it.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Ok, I don't follow MK rosters outside of knowing fan favorites like Orange Magenta Teenage Diamond Peach in Technicolor! so I thought that Dixie was the only true newcomer to Tour.
Oh, they did add a WHOLE lot of seasonal (non seasonal) costumes as well, like 10 different versions of Mario, Luigi, Peach, Rosalina, Yoshi, Wario, Toad, etc, you got Christmas, Summer, Halloween, Easter, Valentine's Day, etc. and Classic and SNES versions of characters too.

Pauline is a weird character to categorize. Odyssey cemented her as a Mario character in my eyes, but prior to that she only appeared in Donkey Kong Arcade and its variations, as well as the very DK arcade-inspired Mario VS Donkey Kong series.

Calling her a Donkey Kong character is like calling Mario a Donkey Kong character; technically true, but people don't like to hear it.
What’s weird is that her trophy in Smash 4 was classified in the DK series, but her spirit in Ultimate is classified in the Mario series, so it seems even Smash itself can’t decide.

Last edited:

Lenidem

Smash Lord

Is Donkey Kong a Donkey Kong game though ?...

Come on, you all know what I mean. :)

Top Bottom