• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I've never really been excited while watching these Directs. I think Banjo's is the last time I got hype overload. Everything since has been me going "Well I'm sure somebody likes this but I'll pass." It's safe to say that most Switch games are ports or remasters; that's great for people who haven't gotten the chance to play those games, but I want new stuff that isn't an archaic JRPG or a retro indie aesthetic game. Splatoon 3 was a solid surprise, and Pyra/Mythra's debut had me lol. I'm not mad but none of this is stuff I'd buy, so I'm gonna pass this right on by.

I hope y'all enjoy the 2 new fighters; 2 in 1 was a nice deal and now Shulk ain't solo. Plus, we got a new 1st Party addition, and just like Min Min, they're girls. Killed 4 birds with 1 stone: Nintendo Character DLC, Female, from a low-repped franchise, and from a series Sakurai likes. I have Xenoblade 2..........but made it precisely 17 minutes into the game before never playing it again, all the way back in 2018 IIRC. I'm sure it's just not my type of game, so I'm not knocking it's quality. I'm not too invested in whether we get 1st or 3rd Parties though, I'm ambivalent to the whole issue. Other than that, I'm just shrugging and saying it is what it is.

I'm literally not playing through Skyward Sword again until I can turn off Fi's "helpful" intrusive dialogue.

"Master, I am aware you've walked 3 yards since I last stopped you in your tracks, but I must halt your gameplay once again to inform you that--"

"Yes Fi I know, that's a monster, it's not friendly. I'm gonna kill it."

"A sound observation, Master, however that is not the purpose of this polite interruption. My aim in this conversation is to inform you that if you cut grass with your goddess sword, which you currently hold in your hand, you may find extra Rupees, usually of a similar color to the very grass you will have just cut. Humans use it as currency, therefore you'll primarily need it to barter on Skyloft, as all humans are located there. I predict a 78.5278422790000012% to 93.578% satisfaction rating with every purchase you make, and it is recommended you collect as many as you can. For further calculations, please continue northward for 5 more footsteps and I shall halt your enjoyment of our journey once more. Until then, Master."

"...'Enjoyment'?"

Things that have happened before a new DKC game after DKCTP's release:
-The Trump Administration.
-Creed 1 and 2.
-Back to the Future Day.
-JoJo reaching animated adaptations of part 4 and 5.
-Bubsy's return.
-Kingdom Hearts 3 being released.
-FF7R being announced, and then having its first episode released.
-Sonic getting a ****ing film.
-Pokémon getting a live action film.
-Spongebob becoming a movie trilogy.
-Adventure Time and Regular Show's finale.
-Spidey joining the MCU and Iron Man biting the dust.
-Godzilla vs King Kong redux announced.
-Overwatch becoming a thing, and all the drama with Hong Kong.
-Blizzard crashing and burning.
-KOF XV being announced.
-Crash and Spyro being revived.
-Japan went from the Heisei era to the Reiwa era.
-and regarding Smash, all the characters that have been announced after DKCTP's release: Greninja, Mii Fighers, Palutena, Pac-Man, Robin, Shulk, Bowser Jr, Duck Hunt, Ryu, Cloud, Corrin, Bayo, Inklings, Ridley, the Belmonts, K.Rool, Ken, Incineroar, Joker, Hero, Banjo & Kazooie, Terry, Byleth, Min Min, Steve and Alex, Sephiroth and now, Pyra & Mythra.

Jesus. This makes me a little sad.
Not to mention One Punch Man and My Hero Academia blowing up, as well as Disney + launching, the debuts of Series S and X along with PS5, Insomniac Games juggling Spider-Man AND Ratchet & Clank, Spider-Man: Into The Spiderverse bulldozing animated movies, Rabbids becoming more well-known thanks to Mario, who now has a Super Saiyan form, and a bunch of other stuff that we could fill pages with.

This really doesn't dispel the idea that DK is a D-Tier franchise. Nintendo doesn't do much with it, and they have the type of sway where they could release something and people will flock to it. Their enthusiasm creates enthusiasm.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
Talked to Hyle over on DK Vine and he's not despairing. Says to wait for summer. I hope his source is on the level. I'm not feeling great, especially after that Direct.

Okay, enough moping from me. No More Heroes III is cool. Hades on cartridge is cool. Splatoon 3 is cool too, I guess, but I'm not really an online multiplayer kinda guy. I don't know if I'm going to buy any Nintendo games or merch until they announce a new DK, though.

Thatkidwiththeafro

The Pink Panther's Bro!
NNID
Mr.F-ZeroBias
Just wanted to drop by and offer some hope...

Perhaps Dixie will be showing up in the new Mario Golf? Camelot DID add in Pauline to Aces, and previously bought back Daisy and Birdo for 64 back in the day. Perhaps Dixie will make her Mario Golf debut finally? After all, they DID straight up mention on the website that King Bob-omb is in, so maybe Camelot looked at Tour's roster to gauge up the roster?

Just trying to offer a bit of hope, I know it feels quite dark in the tunnel for you guys right now, at least we know that Nintendo first-parties are still on the table...

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
To be honest I'm surprised it was just one Zelda game announced getting ported on its anniversary and not some 3D collection like with Mario. Still waiting on my Metroid ports of some kind during the wait for MP4 which may or may not happen. At least with DK you already have every main game on the Switch in some form except for Returns, so not much left to ask for there during the wait for a new game. Fingers crossed for E3 or whenever.

Never been much a Xenoblade fan but thought Pyra's presentation was cool. Like to think all the 1st parties being female still bodes well for Dixie...

Unfortunate to say but overall the 3rd party reveals from the Direct interested me than the Nintendo parts shown (the free to play Star Wars, Ninja Gaiden collection, etc). Wasn't expecting much, but still underwhelmed like I've been with most directs. Probably why I've never had a preference for the Direct model like most fans, having had no problem with things just getting shadow dropped like last year. The best stuff is usually saved for E3 anyway, but at least Directs being back in general is a sign of the times improving.

Sorry you didn't get anything special shown for you today Planet Cool, but happy birthday nonetheless.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Im happy about Pyra and Mythra's inclusion as both ARMS and Xenoblade 2 have gotten justice after being left out of the base game. I will be buying their amiibos day one even though my shelf will be full once Byleth, Banjo, and Min Min release. I was legit not expecting anymore 1st party characters tbh.

As for the direct itself it was a big meh from me. Like most directs 75% of it is filled with old last gen ports or anime JRPGs. Even the Nintendo announcements were lackluster. I like Mario Golf but it isn't a "OMG HYPE!" announcement I will buy it enjoy it for about a month and then move on and forget about it. Splatoon 3 just feels unnecessary and too early IMO. Splatoon always felt like a Mario Kart/Smash Bros. type series to me where its 1 per console. But it seems Nintendo doesnt mind splitting the online userbase with Splatoon 2 and makes me think a Mario Kart 9 on Switch isnt as far fetched of an idea as once thought.

Skyward Sword HD is cool as I never played the original but MAN $60 for a no graphical updated only slightly upscaled 10 year old Wii game is VERY modern Nintendo but still sucks. Really makes 3D All-Stars look phenomenal in comparison. Lol

Miitopia on Switch is also cool but out of ALL the underrated 3DS games to port they choose this? No Metroid: Samus Returns, WarioWare: Gold, Rhythm Heaven Megamix, or Kid Icarus: Uprising but Miitopia...lol

Overall a pretty meh and disappointing direct especially after waiting 530 days...Modern Nintendo just doesn't feel the same man...

GAINAX

Smash Journeyman
If the rumours of a new 4K Switch are true, maybe Nintendo wants to have Metroid Prime 4, Botw 2 and the new DK game to showcase the extra horsepower the system might have, so they're waiting till E3 for their big announcements?

That's what I'm telling myself anyway.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I do kinda feel more hopeful about other 3DS games getting ported in the future at least but eh...

Regardless of whether the 4K Switch rumor is true (don't care much for 4K personally), Nintendo's not going to screw over vanilla Switch owners far as games that were promised for the system.

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
I'm really getting that sense of dread that Nintendo just views the Switch port of Tropical Freeze with new Funky Mode as "good enough" for DKC for the rest of the Switch's lifespan the same way they did with Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.
I mean it wouldnt be the first time looking at you 3DS.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I do hope Dixie Kong makes into the new Mario Golf somehow. It looks pretty good and I'd be happy to see her in a new game at all.
Yup. I miss the days of Mario Hoops 3 on 3 and Mario Super Sluggers when Nintendo was actually willing to put Dixie in non mobile Mario spin offs.

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Yup. I miss the days of Mario Hoops 3 on 3 and Mario Super Sluggers when Nintendo was actually willing to put Dixie in non mobile Mario spin offs.
Except Nintendo had very little to do with the development of both those games. Hoops 3 on 3 was developed by Square-Enix and the only reason Dixie was included was because they needed her for DK's team to work with the gameplay. Namco was also the reason Dixie was in Mario Superstar Baseball, Super Sluggers, and Konga 2/3.

Mario Kart Tour has been the only time Dixie has been used by Nintendo themselves in a game they developed.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Talked to Hyle over on DK Vine and he's not despairing. Says to wait for summer. I hope his source is on the level. I'm not feeling great, especially after that Direct.
I have faith in Hyle and his sources as I think his source that knew about K. Rool was correct. I also believe it would be like Nintendo to wait until E3 to announce a new Donkey Kong game as it will be pretty big news.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Yeah.

Fighter pass 2 at this point seems mostly about tying up loose ends, for characters that were planned earlier like from ARMS and Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Aside from both examples being female, it does give a little renewed hope for DKC and Dixie. Doubt we’ll have another tag team kind of fighter though (Dixie & Kiddy) even if she’s in since we literally just got one from Pyra & Mythra, but who knows.

GAINAX

Smash Journeyman
May I just say I appreciate the grace Dixie Kong fans have shown 1st party reveals? You guys had the Min Min's fans backs and now again with Pyra/Mythra. You guys rock :)
I've never played Xenoblade 2, but I actually quite like the look of Mythra and Pyra. Part of me thinks it could have been Dixie and Kiddy instead though :laugh:

Justin Little

Smash Ace
I saw Planet Cool didn't like my post wishing him a happy birthday, but did so for the great Diddy Kong who also wished him well.

I guess you could say...

:2gud: My post wasn't COOL enough.

YEAAAAAAAHHHH!!!! 🎵

I'm just kidding. It's not like I'm a crazy person who post just to fish for likes in order to make myself feel better. Heh... heh heh...
Heh... heh...
:deathstare:

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I saw Planet Cool didn't like my post wishing him a happy birthday, but did so for the great Diddy Kong who also wished him well.

I guess you could say...

:2gud: My post wasn't COOL enough.

YEAAAAAAAHHHH!!!! 🎵

I'm just kidding. It's not like I'm a crazy person who post just to fish for likes in order to make myself feel better. Heh... heh heh...
Heh... heh...
:deathstare:
This post definitely makes up for it.

I actually also have grown curiosity for Xenoblade 2, as I loved the remake of the original game on Switch.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Yeah.

Fighter pass 2 at this point seems mostly about tying up loose ends, for characters that were planned earlier like from ARMS and Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Aside from both examples being female, it does give a little renewed hope for DKC and Dixie. Doubt we’ll have another tag team kind of fighter though (Dixie & Kiddy) even if she’s in since we literally just got one from Pyra & Mythra, but who knows.
You know, it Pyra can get in without Rex as an independent female fighter, then we really don’t need Kiddy to be with Dixie honestly, in my view. I feel like the tag team duo idea was always solely for the benefit of Kiddy anyway, Dixie is fine fighting on her own.

Last edited:

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
My thoughts on yesterday's direct. Overall, it was an okay direct. Pyra and Mythra are very solid additions in my book. It's always a plus to get more 1st party characters in the midst of the more apparent 3rd party direction. I got pretty excited at seeing a new Mario Golf announcement since it had been years since we got Toadstool Tour during the Gamecube era. Hopefully, Dixie can get confirmed for the game so we can see her more often in the Mario spinoff games. Splatoon 3 looks pretty neat as well. I can understand the frustration of not getting new DK announcement though I feel maybe E3 seems to be a grand stage to get something from them. We just got to be patient for a little longer as Hyle has been telling us.

Justin Little

Smash Ace
This is not a drill! Maximilian Dood-Benny and Yooka-Laylee are in the same game together! I repeat, Maximilian Dood-Benny and Yooka-Laylee are in the same game together!

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Yeah.

I think it's kind of funny and ironic that most of Fighter's Pass 2's newcomers are all characters everybody and their mother thought was going to be in base game 3 years ago. It's funny how things work out sometimes.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Diddy Kong Diddy Kong and Dixie Kong Dixie Kong spend all day posting on this thread.

That should have been enough reason to doubt we'd get a DK announcement.

You don't post on forums like this one if you have a major game coming up. YOU JUST DON'T.
It's really sad as if DKC was pumping games out as quickly as Mario and characters like Dixie Kong and Krystal were already in Smash as playable characters, I wouldn't even be on SmashBoards anymore.

Kritter

Smash Cadet
Seeing Pyra get in over Rex....What would be your reaction if Kiddy gets in and not Dixie?

Mine would be utter confusion, disappointment, but ultimately happy to at least get new DK content. But I would probably be confused about it for the rest of my life.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Seeing Pyra get in over Rex....What would be your reaction if Kiddy gets in and not Dixie?

Mine would be utter confusion, disappointment, but ultimately happy to at least get new DK content. But I would probably be confused about it for the rest of my life.
Hell, not just Dixie. Kiddy getting in before Cranky, Funky, Tiny, an animal buddy, a snomad, Pauline would be baffling and I'd question their sanity.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

Wrong Kong. I would guess if they took another Kong before Dixie, they'd choose Cranky.

And Funky if there would only be Echoes newly added.

Last edited:

Justin Little

Smash Ace
DKC3 should have been DK and Dixie if they needed a speed and heavy pairing.
Having DK in there would eliminate Dixie's starring role status, imo. I think it would've been cooler if it was either Funky or Chunky Kong. Funky could've had the hover surfboard introduced here first, with some caveats compared to his gameplay in TF in order to make it fair and balanced. Though it's kinda hard to see Chunky in a 2D setting, the juxtaposition of Dixie's brave mannerism and Chunky's cowardice would make for an entertaining venture.

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
DKC3 should have been DK and Dixie if they needed a speed and heavy pairing.
My theory is that they were aiming for a pattern with the original Country games-- hero-sidekick (pedecessor) to sidekick-new-sidekick (successor). Diddy was a sidekick who became a star with a new sidekick, and the same held for Dixie. Under that supposition, I would replace Kiddy with a another new character, and not Donkey, as that latter would break the pattern.

Top Bottom