• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

Justin Little

Smash Ace
I have a small update to my last post here about a possible DK game over at Retro. If you go on their website and click on their career page, you will see some DK related objects in silhouette like a barrel, DK's tie, and a banana (from Mario Kart). Then you have a Diddy silhouette amongst the games they have made with the tagline "More to Come!" That, to me, seems a little suspicious. It's odd they don't have some kind of Metroid related thing under that considering they are working on Metroid Prime 4. I also find it strange it's just Diddy and not Donkey Kong himself. Are they working on a Diddy Kong spin-off? Probably not, but I sure as hell would be hyped if it was.

This all more than likely don't mean anything, but it's fun to speculate. Here is the page. https://careers.nintendo.com/retro-studios/

Last edited:

GAINAX

Smash Journeyman
DKC's 25th anniversary is in November. Reckon there's a chance we could get an announcement around then?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
You read my reply post Mariomaniac45213 Mariomaniac45213 ?

I have a small update to my last post here about a possible DK game over at Retro. If you go on their website and click on their career page, you will see some DK related objects in silhouette like a barrel, DK's tie, and a banana (from Mario Kart). Then you have a Diddy silhouette amongst the games they have made with the tagline "More to Come!" That, to me, seems a little suspicious. It's odd they don't have some kind of Metroid related thing under that considering they are working on Metroid Prime 4. I also find it strange it's just Diddy and not Donkey Kong himself. Are they working on a Diddy Kong spin-off? Probably not, but I sure as hell would be hyped if it was.

This all more than likely don't mean anything, but it's fun to speculate. Here is the page. https://careers.nintendo.com/retro-studios/
I don't think the silhouette is anything to take seriously honestly. But it is fun to speculate on though.

DKC's 25th anniversary is in November. Reckon there's a chance we could get an announcement around then?
Probably, probably not. I hope about hearing Retro Studios announcing DKCR3 but we will see. Imagine that, a DKC trilogy remake, or Dixie Kong being announced for Smash, I would moonjump out of my seat all the way too the moon if either of those 3 options are announced in November.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
If any of you remember the Crocodile Cacophony Rhythm Heaven video, there's a new one out now with Stickerbush Symphony from Brawl: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEjwepD1clU
I remember that song playing all the time during the Subspace Emissary for the Diddy Kong and Fox levels where you had to work on rescuing DK. It was quite fitting that the situation in particular was nearly identical to DKC2, which would have made it even more perfect if Dixie had gotten in Brawl, she could have been playable alongside Diddy and Fox in those levels.

I remember thinking Dixie was a lock for Smash 4, and prior to the confirmation that there would be no story mode for that game I thought that she would be perfect in a “Subspace Emissary 2” type mode where she would join with Diddy to rescue DK again. How times change....

Justin Little

Smash Ace
Watching K. Rool and Banjo's trailers, does anyone want to start a Go Fund Me page for the Kongs and get them a new tv? Are the Kongs even aware of high definition? It's not the 90's anymore, DK and Diddy. You don't have to keep around Cranky's hand-me-downs. You are grown-ups now. I mean, look at this thing.

Maybe that is why Dixie is never around.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Watching K. Rool and Banjo's trailers, does anyone want to start a Go Fund Me page for the Kongs and get them a new tv? Are the Kongs even aware of high definition? It's not the 90's anymore, DK and Diddy. You don't have to keep around Cranky's hand-me-downs. You are grown-ups now. I mean, look at this thing.

How about using that GoFundMe to get Dixie Kong an invitation in Smash instead? We’re coming up on the one year anniversary of K. Rool’s reveal after all.

Geez, thinking back to that direct, Castlevania got two characters, Metroid got a second newcomer, Fire Emblem only got one but they already had 4 in Smash 4. DK was the only one that truely felt like they got only one newcomer even though there was literally a perfect second candidate right there.

And then with Banjo’s trailer there was a perfect opportunity to put her there as a bonus DLC and they still ignored her.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
How about using that GoFundMe to get Dixie Kong an invitation in Smash instead? We’re coming up on the one year anniversary of K. Rool’s reveal after all.

Geez, thinking back to that direct, Castlevania got two characters, Metroid got a second newcomer, Fire Emblem only got one but they already had 4 in Smash 4. DK was the only one that truely felt like they got only one newcomer even though there was literally a perfect second candidate right there.

And then with Banjo’s trailer there was a perfect opportunity to put her there as a bonus DLC and they still ignored her.
I mean, are you okay with her being an echo fighter? Because that's all she would be if she was a "bonus" character. Personally, the fact that she isn't an echo character despite her popularity indicates to me that Sakurai feels she doesn't work with his vision of an echo fighter.

Justin Little

Smash Ace
Dixie's invitation letter is over at DK's place. It just sadly been grouped up with all the other junk mail they have stashed under their banana stand. Yoshi isn't the only one avoiding the IRS.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I mean, are you okay with her being an echo fighter? Because that's all she would be if she was a "bonus" character. Personally, the fact that she isn't an echo character despite her popularity indicates to me that Sakurai feels she doesn't work with his vision of an echo fighter.
I dunno, are you OK with her being a Mii costume, cause I feel that’s a much worse fate.

Isabelle showed us that semi clones can still exist.

Why do you think she would have to be an echo character? Is it because she’s 1st Party, cause Mewtwo, PP, Lucas, Roy, and Corrin beg to differ.

Geez, at least Waluigi and Krystal fans were let down gently from the start, we were strung along for months with hope only to get knifed in the back.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
I dunno, are you OK with her being a Mii costume, cause I feel that’s a much worse fate.

Isabelle showed us that semi clones can still exist.

Why do you think she would have to be an echo character? Is it because she’s 1st Party, cause Mewtwo, PP, Lucas, Roy, and Corrin beg to differ.

Geez, at least Waluigi and Krystal fans were let down gently from the start, we were strung along for months with hope only to get knifed in the back.
In a limited newcomer roster, the chance of two unique DK characters in the base roster is slim to none. Each character is massive commitment of time, money, and manpower, and Sakurai obviously had other priorities, and with the Fighters Pass is setting itself up to be all third party, that rules out Dixie too. Saying they "ignored her" when it comes to putting in Banjo implies there's some sort of connection to the two characters where they can and should be added together, but that simply isn't true. We can wring our hands all day whether or not Piranha Plant could have been Dixie or Bandana Dee or Rex or whoever, but the reality is that was the character they chose and they aren't going to suddenly get a new budget increase for a character to add in Dixie if she isn't in the initial plan.

Last edited:

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252

maybe dk's just a melee player

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
In a limited newcomer roster, the chance of two unique DK characters in the base roster is slim to none. Each character is massive commitment of time, money, and manpower, and Sakurai obviously had other priorities, and with the Fighters Pass is setting itself up to be all third party, that rules out Dixie too. Saying they "ignored her" when it comes to putting in Banjo implies there's some sort of connection to the two characters where they can and should be added together, but that simply isn't true. We can wring our hands all day whether or not Piranha Plant could have been Dixie or Bandana Dee or Rex or whoever, but the reality is that was the character they chose and they aren't going to suddenly get a new budget increase for a character to add in Dixie if she isn't in the initial plan.
Hence why some people are OK with her being a Ken/Chrom style echo/semi clone. I and many others don’t need her to be 100% unique if it means getting her into the roster.

I’ll be continuing to “wring my hands” at that “massive commitment of time, money, and manpower” wasted on that “character” that must not be named. Thank you very much.

Hmm.... the fact that Smash Ultimate is the best selling game in the series and that the Switch itself has years of life left in its system, makes me think it would be downright stupid to end DLC at the fighters pass only.

I mean, what kind of idiot company would look at this and decide to stop? It's pretty much the best selling fighting game of all time.

84F80451-05E6-49B6-944A-D0ED4944D342.jpeg

Then again, this is Nintendo we’re talking about.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Hence why some people are OK with her being a Ken/Chrom style echo/semi clone. I and many others don’t need her to be 100% unique if it means getting her into the roster.

I’ll be continuing to “wring my hands” at that “massive commitment of time, money, and manpower” wasted on that “character” that must not be named. Thank you very much.

Hmm.... the fact that Smash Ultimate is the best selling game in the series and that the Switch itself has years of life left in its system, makes me think it would be downright stupid to end DLC at the fighters pass only.

I mean, what kind of idiot company would look at this and decide to stop?

View attachment 232922
Then again, this is Nintendo we’re talking about.
If I was CEO of NOJ, I would tell Sakurai and the Smash team to keep the DLC rolling until the Switch dies. Afterwards, I would tell Sakurai he can retire permanently because the man has done enough for us and shouldn't be making the next Smash if he want's to live much longer. We are dragging this man to a early grave and it can only be stopped if he doesn't direct Smash 6.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I've added ZeroJanitor ZeroJanitor 's cover to the Remixes section of the Music category. If you have more, keep them coming! I've also found an 8-bit version of Jammin' Jams that I'll put in the OP eventually, along with an SNES version of Scorch N' Torch as well as an 8-Bit version of that track too. And while we're at it, an 8-bit track of Homecoming Hijinx

Also, thanks again everyone for the storyboard feedback; I'm gonna draw up SeashoreWar 's idea, then move onto TheYungLink 's 2nd idea. Will probably take a while though.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I wish I could draw. I suck at drawing, especially at drawing living beings.

Edit: I like your new avatar BirthNote BirthNote
Honestly, drawing can be extremely frustrating; sometimes I'd like to rip up a lot of my ideas, but the best advice I can give is to just keep drawing. It takes a lot of practice (and patience) but it eventually pays off, even if you wanna just do a quick sketch every now and again. Hope this helps.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Welp, Geno's officially been saved from a seemingly imminent fate as a Mii Costume, causing many of his supporters to cheer, as if the lack of the Mii Costume saves him.

Just some food for thought. At least they still have hope.

Looking at all the Mii Fighter costumes that have been promoted, it's clear that it's a much bigger chance there compared to the AT (2 ATs being promoted to 5 Mii Fighters in the process from Smash 4 to Ultimate, I'd count Little Mac but there weren't any Mii costumes in Brawl) in being promoted.

Wonder what that means for Dixie and Rex.... if there was more DLC beyond the Fighters Pass, although Isaac, Waluigi, and Ashley are both Mii costumes and Assist Trophies, so that complicates things even further.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
I mean, what kind of idiot company would look at this and decide to stop? It's pretty much the best selling fighting game of all time.
Nintendo tends to be pretty conservative with paid DLC. There's any number of reasons for that, but in the context of Smash, Sakurai will have been working on Smash basically nonstop for seven years. I really don't see why it's unreasonable to think they would stop after the Fighters Pass. They very, very rarely support a game with years of paid DLC, and there is always going to be diminishing returns on future characters.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Nintendo tends to be pretty conservative with paid DLC. There's any number of reasons for that, but in the context of Smash, Sakurai will have been working on Smash basically nonstop for seven years. I really don't see why it's unreasonable to think they would stop after the Fighters Pass. They very, very rarely support a game with years of paid DLC, and there is always going to be diminishing returns on future characters.
Yeah, that's why I said this was Nintendo we were talking about, in that they don't always make the most logical decisions. I normally wouldn't care for years of paid DLC either, but given that this is the last game to bring back every single character and that the vast majority of the stages are returning from previous games, I'd say this is kind of a special scenario.

I mean, we know that Smash 4's DLC literally ended right before Smash Ultimate's development began, so clearly, there was a special plan to put all the Ballot characters in Ultimate.

I'd probably prefer a bunch of Fighter's Passes to a Smash 6 with a cut down roster.

Also Sakurai himself doesn't have to do much of the work with this, they can just put aside a special team for it, which is what's pretty much been going on for the Fighter's Pass.

Laniv

Smash Champion

They've tried to replace it for years but Cranky turns them down every time, something about refusing to throw anything out until it's completely unusable

Justin Little

Smash Ace
After I ran into my childhood crush only for her to not remember me, I did feel like Tiny this morning.

Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I'm Cranky, which is ironic considering how young I am, though I guess I can go "get off my lawn" on all those Fortnite kids I suppose.

Ed-boy

Smash Journeyman
Curses! I was just 7 days away from being Lanky! I'm cool with being Chunky though, even if I can't chuck boulders with relative ease.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Hmm... I wonder which month K. Rool would be if he was on that list.

I'm Cranky, which is ironic considering how young I am, though I guess I can go "get off my lawn" on all those Fortnite kids I suppose.
I'm Cranky too lol!

I'm really glad I got Dixie Kong! What a lucky draw!
I saw what they did there putting Candy in August because she is the hottest Kong.

Last edited:

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
R RetrogamerMax someone should make a Kremling one.

K.Rool, Krusha, Kritter, Klump, Kludge, Kasplat, Kalypso, Koin, Kopter, Klaptrap, Kudgel, K.Lumsy. Plus many others (those are just the first 12 that come to mind).

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
I'm Lanky Kong, which is unfortunate as I'm not the least bit flexible.

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
Looks like I got Tiny. Not much of a fit there since I don't have blonde hair and I can't twirl in the air with it.

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
Yay I got Dixie (June 1 is my birthday and I felt so lucky that Diddy was buffed around that time), I love that new Avatar BirthNote BirthNote and I also agree as someone who likes making cutesy doodles drawing can be tricky, I still have a lot to learn for improvement though I never stop cause I enjoy making pictures.

Top Bottom