• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
My only issue with the TF version of Stickerbush Symphony is that they put it in an area that it has no business being in. I mean, it's only heard in a short area right before a rocketbarrel stage. What were Retro thinking?

Speaking of music, here's an interview about what Wise and the boys have been doing for the next Y-K game: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...just_famous_ex-rare_composers_and_soggy_socks

Damn I would LOVE to jump in on ranking the DK games but ATM I can't and only dropped in to share this. I finally finished TheYungLink TheYungLink 's storyboard:

Plain fantastic, I wouldn't have come up with anything better myself. Easily the best fan-made scenario I've seen so far, mainly because it's not text.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
Hey speaking of Stickerbrush Symphony:

I really love the decision to have Stickerbrush Symphony play during the credits. It's a very emotionally-charged song for me so it's a perfect place for it imo.

DX_E

Smash Apprentice
Hey speaking of Stickerbrush Symphony:

I really love the decision to have Stickerbrush Symphony play during the credits. It's a very emotionally-charged song for me so it's a perfect place for it imo.
I havn't heard this version before! I love it! It's a Stickerbush jam!

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Glad the Storyboard is so well-liked. I'll post it to Reddit soon and see what they'll say over there. Remember people, I'm willing to draw some (not all) ideas so feel free to share.
AAAAAH I love this, it's just as cute and lighthearted as I imagined!
I'm VERY happy to hear that! Your idea was perfect because it gave me a good starting point and enough freedom while still having to work in a certain frame. By sprouting from the reveal trailer, I was able to ground myself; thanks for posting your idea, I'd be happy to draw more if you want.
Plain fantastic, I wouldn't have come up with anything better myself. Easily the best fan-made scenario I've seen so far, mainly because it's not text.
Thanks, they say a picture's worth 1,000 words and it shows, but I can't take all the credit; if TheYungLink hadn't posted his idea this storyboard would never exist, so mad props to him (or her)!
I havn't heard this version before! I love it! It's a Stickerbush jam!
Yea I think it's the best version, but apparently it's not in the Switch version. They replaced it with some Funky Kong song even if you're not in New Funky Mode. Sucks.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Glad the Storyboard is so well-liked. I'll post it to Reddit soon and see what they'll say over there. Remember people, I'm willing to draw some (not all) ideas so feel free to share.

I'm VERY happy to hear that! Your idea was perfect because it gave me a good starting point and enough freedom while still having to work in a certain frame. By sprouting from the reveal trailer, I was able to ground myself; thanks for posting your idea, I'd be happy to draw more if you want.

Thanks, they say a picture's worth 1,000 words and it shows, but I can't take all the credit; if TheYungLink hadn't posted his idea this storyboard would never exist, so mad props to him (or her)!

Yea I think it's the best version, but apparently it's not in the Switch version. They replaced it with some Funky Kong song even if you're not in New Funky Mode. Sucks.
Very happy to hear my idea was nice to work with. And yeah, for future reference I'm male in case you're curious.

I said I was gonna write up a second idea and I do plan on doing that still, but it's been a very tiring month (literally, a lot of it is physical labor) with a lot of family obligations to take care of, so it's gonna come later.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
Yes i can. None of those levels are good in my books. Sad but true
Sad for you.:p

-Overly reliance on your buddy Kongs, and having a very unbalanced system with them. Dixie being Easy Mode the character, Cranky being situational and Diddy is only there if you’re a fan on him
Diddy is more useful than Dixie in levels that demand precision jumping, like Precarious Pendulums, Spinning Spines, and even Volcano Dome. If you're a speedrunner, he's pretty much a requirement in underwater stages, too. It's not so much that Diddy is useless, it's that most players don't know how to use him well.

-It’s very short. Just 6 worlds, and you feel like you rush throughout the game because of it. Sure it’s replay value is high, but I just wish it had at least one more world.
I agree that Tropical Freeze is too short, but it's really not that much shorter than Returns, especially if you consider the length of each stage. It's also considerably longer than all three original DKCs.

It also makes me even more upset with the games length because they could've added extra worlds/levels with the Switch port or DLC to rectify it but they didnt. Especially considering Retro did the Switch port themselves and they havent had a new game released since 2014. What have they been doing this whole time? Nothing? They could've added more to the Switch port of Tropical Freeze than just an easy mode via Funky Kong. Especially since they wanted to charge an extra $10.
I heard through the apevine that Retro wanted to add extra levels (including a boss fight) to Secret Seclusion, like Monster Games added new levels to the Golden Temple/Cloud in DKC Returns 3D, but were vetoed. That being said, I think playable Funky is a great bonus.

Last edited:

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
You know who I'm starting to want as much as Dixie? Toadette. I feel her and Dixie would be best friends. Toadette is a Nintendo All-Star too. I mean look at how many games she has appeared in lately? Captain Toad, Super Mario Odyssey, NSMBU Deluxe, Super Mario Maker 2 all mainline-ish Mario games. To think a character that debuted in Double Dash in 2003 as a mere compliment/spin-off fodder to Toad would take off as much as her. If only Waluigi got the same treatment as Toadette has...but alas the "Nintendo internally created character" bias is too strong within the company maybe one day it will change but I doubt it..

SeashoreWar

Smash Journeyman
Damn I would LOVE to jump in on ranking the DK games but ATM I can't and only dropped in to share this. I finally finished TheYungLink TheYungLink 's storyboard:

I made it look all sketchy but I'm quite proud of it. FEEDBACK OF ALL KINDS IS STRONGLY ENCOURAGED. I can also do more; don't be shy.
This is so cool. I wanna take a shot at this too!

Hmm...

Rival intro as usual. Cuts to DK and Diddy hanging around. A blast of wind comes through the cabin just like in yunglink's idea. DK and Diddy peak through the window.

Cuts to a silhouette of Dixie, the figure bends down and throws off the disguise and it's revealed to be Isabelle. DK and Diddy are shocked. Isabelle does her taunts then another blast of wind comes through again, knocking Isabelle down, and Dixie lands in front of her.

Cuts to her Smash screen. Dixie twirls up a storm!

DK and Diddy break through the window like in Banjo's. K. Rool is shown looking displeased in the background as Dixie helps Isabelle up. Dixie does her air guitar pose.

*Gameplay footage. Near the end of the gameplay it shows K. Rool going after the Kongs with Dixie getting the best of him.*

Cuts back to K. Rool being thrown into the sky. Dixie, DK and Diddy look into the distance recreating the ending shot of DKC2. Then it zooms in on Dixie looking happy that she's finally reunited with everyone in Smash.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I heard through the apevine that Retro wanted to add extra levels (including a boss fight) to Secret Seclusion, like Monster Games added new levels to the Golden Temple/Cloud in DKC Returns 3D, but were vetoed. That being said, I think playable Funky is a great bonus.
Also, from what I heard the amount of polygons for the Retro DKC games is much more than those of the Metroid Prime games, which may be why it was 4 years of gap between Retrurns and TF. The only concrete thing I've heard that happened to the company in years was internal disputes, but nothing besides until the Metroid Prime 4 delay happened.

The only possible clue that they've been busy is that portrait Retro sent to Reggie, that conspicuously hides something behind a Mario statue.

https://www.nintendoenthusiast.com/2019/04/18/farewell-artwork-reggie-hides/

Last edited:

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker

I made it look all sketchy but I'm quite proud of it. FEEDBACK OF ALL KINDS IS STRONGLY ENCOURAGED. I can also do more; don't be shy.
Dude. This. This is amazing! The only feedback I have is this needs to be sent to Nintendo and Sakurai.

Last edited:

Awesome job you two, thanks for working on this and sharing.

Needs more K.Rool getting his ass kicked tho!

:p

DKC1: B
DKC2: A+
DKC3: B
DK64 C+
DKCR: B
DKCTF: A+

At times it's quirky, inconsistent and downright strange, but DKC3 just feels like a big adventure, there is something about it which I enjoy a lot. I think it is the exploration aspect and the way all the secrets are hidden. So much that on every replay of the original trilogy, I look forward to playing DKC3 the most. It's certainly not insular, thats for sure.

DKC2 + DKCTF are the Rolls Royces of the franchise. DKC and DKCR are solid in their own right. Their respective sequels took things to the next level and that is reflected in the rankings across the board.

Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I had time today to write up my other idea. I don't expect BirthNote to storyboard this one since it's more action-packed and it may be harder to draw as a result, but writing it all down was enough to satisfy me.

The trailer opens with Diddy Kong fighting an unseen opponent (from the opponent's first-person perspective) in the metallic interior of an airship (you can see the sky through the windows of the room). Diddy is weaving back and forth, doing front flips and shooting his Peanut Popgun at the camera. Cut to DK tied up on a rope...with K. Rool tied behind him (if you're having trouble visualizing it, it's like in The Emperor's New Groove where Pacha and Kuzco are tied to opposite sides of a log at 2:24 of this video). So who's Diddy fighting?

Cut back to the opponent's first-person perspective and we finally see them deliver...a yellow sword strike, knocking Diddy to the opposite wall. The camera swivels around, revealing the opponent to be Meta Knight. He expands his wings and starts flying around, using Drill Rush toward a staggered Diddy as DK and K. Rool look onto Diddy's performance with anxiety.

Cut to a shot outside the Halberd, far above it, using someone else's perspective. From their point of view, they swing dramatically from the right to the left, and then vice versa, as they get lower and closer to the Halberd. Helicopter noises are heard.

Diddy regains his footing and cartwheels out of the way, but, as he's cartwheeling, Meta Knight uses Mach Tornado, causing Diddy to trip and spin on the floor due to the wind. DK and K. Rool are also knocked around, startling them and making them more nervous, but also knocking K. Rool against the metal wall their rope is next to. K. Rool's stomach glows green right before it hits it, inadvertently activating Stomach Attack and swinging him and DK hard in the opposite direction. DK is startled more, and gives K. Rool a dirty look, who gives a bashful look to show it was an accident.

Cut to another shot outside the Halberd from the airborne character's perspective. They're much closer, as they close in on an open door on the side of the Halberd. They weave back and forth again, with the camera showing the open door of the Halberd as the center of the frame right before it cuts back to Diddy's fight.

Diddy gets up, tosses some Banana Peels here and there, and then lands a couple of blows on Meta Knight, but Meta Knight bats them all away with lighting-quick slashes of his sword. Meta Knight uses another Mach Tornado, but now Diddy is struggling to stand upright rather than tripping, and, thinking quick, decides to shoot a powerful shot with Peanut Popgun. We see the peanut swivel around Meta Knight's tornado, almost hitting his face...but it was a trick he anticipated the whole time. Meta Knight is smarter than K. Rool in DKC2, so right before the peanut hits him, he uses Dimensional Cape to warp to a now startled Diddy and knock him toward an open door of the Halberd that leads outside into the sky. Diddy hangs onto dear life, and DK and K. Rool let out a shout of worry.

Cut back to the unseen airborne character's perspective one last time, as they close in on the open door we left on. As they get closer and closer, we see Meta Knight offering to pull Diddy back up, "crouching" down (as much as someone like Meta Knight can crouch) and lending a hand. Then, Meta Knight looks up, and is immediately pelted with a pink gumball. This is the "impact" shot we see in lots of trailers, where it goes into slow motion to show the force of the hit. He's knocked back into the airship hard, the gum now completely covering his mask including the eye sockets, and, still from the unknown character's perspective, we look down to Diddy, who looks absolutely elated. We see their light brown-fur covered arm pull Diddy up to safety, the camera swiveling around to show the two of them together, before zooming in on our heroine. DIXIE KONG LETS DOWN HER HAIR!

Cut to DK and K. Rool tied up, as DK cheers like in the Banjo trailer but K. Rool behind him is quiet and showing a fearful look. Then, the gameplay montage of DIxie's moveset and playstyle.

When the montage ends, it shows Diddy and Dixie charging toward Meta Knight, positioned right in front of DK and K. Rool trying to pull the gum off his mask, but, while K. Rool is panicking and shaking his and DK's rope, DK gets an idea and swings him and K. Rool against the metal wall again, causing K. Rool to use Stomach Attack against it once more. Stomach Attack's rebound force is then weaponized by DK, who uses the rope swinging to punch a disoriented Meta Knight straight out of the Halberd's front window as a call back to how K. Rool was defeated in DKC2's final boss fight. Dixie then sits there confused and apprehensive as to why Diddy proceeds to untie both DK AND K. Rool, the latter of whom gives a nervous smile. As Dixie is frowning, K. Rool panics and backs up a few steps straight into one of Diddy's Banana Peels, causing him to slip out into the open door of the Halberd into the ocean below, where he is assaulted by bubble shots of the Glunks, with enough force to fly back into the air and sail straight past the Halberd. as a Kirby-fied call back to when he gets attacked by sharks like in DKC2. Cut to all 3 Kongs on the Halberd's open door with dumbfounded "uh what just happened" looks on their faces, and the trailer ends on a comical note.

Overall, I wrote this as a spiritual successor to K. Rool's trailer, as both that one and this one involve the Kongs running into a Kirby antagonist. The Dixie / K. Rool stuff is there to show that this is a "sequel" to Banjo's trailer, however, as she's the only one of the Kongs uninformed that K. Rool is their friendly roommate atm.

Oh, for the first part of the trailer, the Smash Ultimate remix of Crocodile Cacophony is playing for extra tension. For the latter part, during the gameplay montage, a much more lighthearted song plays (I imagine it's a remix of a DKC2 or DKC3 song, or a rip from a Tropical Freeze song) to show that the situation is now in their favor, as a kind of relief from the tension.

I had a rough version of this idea the same time I posted my first trailer idea, but I was too tired to type it all out. I had the energy to type it all out this time though.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
Welp, all my friends are doing it.

• DKC: B-
  • DKC2: A+
  • DKC3: B+
  • DK64: C-
  • DKJB: B
  • DKCR: B+
  • DKCTF: A

Last edited:

Laniv

Smash Lord

I love it!!!! I love how DK and Diddy have just had enough of random people pranking them!!

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I love it!!!! I love how DK and Diddy have just had enough of random people pranking them!!
My intention with that was also that, well, they know Dixie. Unlike K. Rool or Banjo, they've seen her recently, she isn't making a grand return or anything, she visits fairly often. What DK and Diddy are happy about is her waving the invitation around cuz they know what that means, haha.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Gotta say, it's an honor to have a post of mine be in the thread title.

My intention with that was also that, well, they know Dixie. Unlike K. Rool or Banjo, they've seen her recently, she isn't making a grand return or anything, she visits fairly often. What DK and Diddy are happy about is her waving the invitation around cuz they know what that means, haha.
Makes sense. Also, your concept has the same energy as this Jontron ditty: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJEvhi2OlEY

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
With all due respect I don't like JonTron, but if what I wrote reminded you of something you like, I appreciate that.
As I say sometimes, it's best to separate the art from the artist.

Besides, I mostly just use this vid as a reaction to things, sometimes (mostly concerning this speculation period). And if I recall correctly Yahtzee did a "fool me once" gag for a God of War video, but that's not nearly as remembered, I think.

Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord

Besides, I mostly just use this vid as a reaction to things, sometimes (mostly concerning this speculation period). And if I recall correctly Yahtzee did a "fool me once" gag for a God of War video, but that's not nearly as remembered, I think.
Well, okay, but please keep in mind that not everyone is going to see "separate art from the artist" as any kind of advice to aspire to. The guy doesn't like undocumented immigrants coming to the US border and, as someone with immigrant parents, one of whom was undocumented for a while, his beliefs disgusted me enough to stop watching his stuff, memes be damned. I personally don't consider myself lesser than other people who can separate a bad person's work from their actions or expressed beliefs.

I know you don't mean anything bad, though, I'm not trying to make you feel bad or anything, I'm just saying my piece.

And yes, I did try to go for that vibe in my first trailer idea, with the Kongs finally catching on after being fooled twice before, haha.

ZelDan

Smash Master
I never owned a Super Monkey Ball game myself. I had a friend that woned the second game on GC and we would play that game's multiplayer alot back in the day.

Good times.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
Not in this case it ain't.

B u t a n y w a y , since Dixie is the star of DKC3, I think her home stage should be based on that game. But which level/setting? I think the most iconic settings from DKC3 are the pier, mill, and redwood, and out of those three, I think the mill is the least interesting. What do you guys think?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Let's not even try to derail to talk about the artist. Keep the art separated from the artist(in many cases) because that kind of discussion does not belong here(and it may not be applicable for Debate Hall either. Some topics we don't allow depending the context. Mind you, it's not a clear-cut case whatsoever and context matters). If you don't want to cite the artist, then please don't post the art.

Keep in mind we're not saying you can't point out that the artist isn't a good one, but you can also PM the user and keep it private, or just quickly note it and then move on. We don't want that kind of derail. These kind of threads are not for discussing ethics or moralities. Those are vastly off-topic and don't relate to generally any thread on here. At least not in the context of an artist. It may be applicable in some situations, but sometimes the subject is too volatile to allow even then.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Well, okay, but please keep in mind that not everyone is going to see "separate art from the artist" as any kind of advice to aspire to. The guy doesn't like undocumented immigrants coming to the US border and, as someone with immigrant parents, one of whom was undocumented for a while, his beliefs disgusted me enough to stop watching his stuff, memes be damned. I personally don't consider myself lesser than other people who can separate a bad person's work from their actions or expressed beliefs.

I know you don't mean anything bad, though, I'm not trying to make you feel bad or anything, I'm just saying my piece.

And yes, I did try to go for that vibe in my first trailer idea, with the Kongs finally catching on after being fooled twice before, haha.
Well said, I'm sorry you have had to encounter ugliness like Jon Tron's.

Not in this case it ain't.

B u t a n y w a y , since Dixie is the star of DKC3, I think her home stage should be based on that game. But which level/setting? I think the most iconic settings from DKC3 are the pier, mill, and redwood, and out of those three, I think the mill is the least interesting. What do you guys think?
I think they should pick either a DKCTF or DKC2 stage for Dixie Kong, maybe a Brambles stage or the Savanna stage reminiscent of the Lion King. I personally associate Dixie more with the DKC2 brambles, so I'd pick that. I think many people associate Dixie with DKC2 as well since that was when she was introduced. So I think a DKC2 stage would be a reasonable choice.

I don't think any setting of DKC3's feels stage-worthy. Even if mechanically, something like Ripsaw Rage (saw stage) seems like it might be interesting.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
I think Lakeside Limbo is probably the most iconic DKC3 setting, but maybe its just similar enough to Jungle Japes thematically that it's not interesting enough for a stage.

For a DKC2 stage: if not brambles, then maybe rigging stages. They're a pretty memorable part of the early game, and I can't say no to a possible Jib Jig remix. The roller coasters and zinger nests would also make for cool stages.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
BirthNote BirthNote This is just a request so you don't have to do it if you don't want to, but can you draw a K. Rool/Banjo & Kazooie trailer storyboard for Krystal?

Last edited:

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Honestly I dont even need a stage with Dixie. I just want Dixie and more DKC tracks.

-Aquaduct Assault
-Lockjaw's Saga
-Big Top Bop
-Mining Melancholy
-Grassland Groove
-Scorch N'Torch
-Big Boss Blues (just to complete K.Rools themes)
-Forest Interlude
-Hot Head Bop
-High Tide Ride
-Tropical Freeze Staff Roll

Would be my picks of songs added. Obviously all of these would just be the original tracks. I dont need any remixes (well maybe Big Boss Blues just to complete the K.Rool remix trilogy if you dont count Snakey Chantey).

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
My ideal new Donkey Kong stages are 50m (preferably modernized like Wrecking Crew), Gangplank Galleon, Bramble Scramble, and Homecoming Hijinxs. I love DKC3, but it's true that it doesn't have very iconic settings. Except maybe the Knautilus?

Something based on Diddy Kong Racing might be nice too, maybe Hot Top Volcano, but I don't wanna get greedy.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483

My goodness, I just love all of this! All of it!

And once again, I feel you really have well-defined craftmanship on character designs and illustrations. I definitely am digging the expressions (dang can the Kongs glare at you if you push them hard enough :nervous:) and gags like Diddy blowing raspberries of disapproval to Inkling and just the casual walk to meet Dixie. Just like meeting a long-time old friend.

Speaking which, I really love the ending too. I bet Dixie would hit off well with the females of Smash as well.

Got to say, one of my most favorite parts in Smash-speculation is seeing content like this. Much appreciated BirthNote BirthNote and TheYungLink TheYungLink .

Last edited:

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
I've gotta say, though, it'd be nice/funny if King K. Rool and Banjo were chilling in the tree house this time.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So, in an oddly related note, Crash Team Racing apparently uses Donkey Kong assets from Skylanders.

https://twitter.com/LolwutLWB/status/1152174960011436032

Linked, since there's bad words.

I've gotta say, though, it'd be nice/funny if King K. Rool and Banjo were chilling in the tree house this time.
I honestly wonder if that running gag will be kept up over time and games. It'd be hilariously grandiose if they eventually managed to have a gang of Rare characters lazing about while DK just wants to watch the telly.

Last edited:
Top Bottom