• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I wouldn't say it's the worst, I would rank the DKC games like this:

DKCTF
DKC2
DKC3
DKC
DKC Returns

I don't know why people like the first dkc so much, I'm a huge dk fan and I played every dk game multiple times, but dkc is not that good of a game. The music is the best thing about dkc. I loved that dk was playable though! Everything else was better in dkc2 and dkc3 (better graphics, better controls, better level design, better boss fights)
Tropical Freeze is almost perfect, the only things missing are the animal buddies and the kremlins.
For me, it would go like this:

DKC2
Tropical Freeze
DKC
DKC Returns
DKC3

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
it doesnt help that she doesnt blink in that animation

modded-in characters in brawl tend to have very stiff and uncanny animations anyway since they're made by fans with no budgets but the pmdt's animations generally look pretty good. had the character been developed further they might have tweaked the animation to look more life-like at some point.
Can indeed tell the same - I think I'm using a build of PM that has various Alt.Costumes + Stages IIRC... one of them is of course, Dixie Kong over Diddy - but she really looks whack when used...

Speaking which:

Some might have seen this before but here's a reiteration of what Dixie as an Echo would turn out like.

Last edited:

hustler713

Smash Apprentice
Can indeed tell the same - I think I'm using a build of PM that has various Alt.Costumes + Stages IIRC... one of them is of course, Dixie Kong over Diddy - but she really looks whack when used...

Speaking which:

Some might have seen this before but here's tad reiteration of what Dixie as an Echo would turn out like.
Just doesn't make sense to see her with diddys gadgets...
Also just doesn't feel like dixie in any way without her using her hair.

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
It's weird because I grew up with DKC3, so seeing it constantly slammed is rather disheartening. No way it was gonna live up to what DKC2 was, so it taking it's own direction was a good thing.

Still, could have used some polish and better level designs here and there though.

D

Deleted member

I personally agree that DKC3 is a good game, and I actually think it's better then the original DKC.

SuperJumpmon64

Smash Cadet
Yeah, I think that, while its not as good as DKC 2, DKC 3 is better than the first game. If I had to rank them:

DKC2
DKC: Tropical Freeze
DKC3
DKC
DKC Returns

EDIT: And looking at that video of the Dixie mod looks....ehhhh, just looks weird and seeing her use diddy's equipment instead of her hair looks pretty out of character.

Last edited:

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord

Speaking which:

Some might have seen this before but here's tad reiteration of what Dixie as an Echo would turn out like.
Ugh as much as I love Diddy's move set which fits his character, it really doesn't look good on Dixie, she definitely needs some of her own style with her ponytail. Even Melee clone characters had more differences between their original counterparts, an echo wouldn't do her justice at all and I'm sure the devs should know that especially after what they did with Isabelle

Last edited:

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
DKC3 gets better as you go along. I feel like the first world is kind of a rough start, especially when you go from the pier to the mill. The locales are just kind of drab at first.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
I have a bad feeling Dixie will get Chrom'd and be put into Diddy's new final smash

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I've added InASnowBoundLand InASnowBoundLand and hustler713 hustler713 to the Barrel; here's an official welcome! Thanks for joining! BTW I will add SeashoreWar's work VERY soon!

I'll share with y'all my list of favorite DKCs:
Tropical Freeze
DKC2
Returns
DKC
DKC3

DKC 3 and 1 are in a strange spot for me; all of the sequels are so good that they make the 1st look bad, but there's a certain tone that DKC has that makes me like it more than DKC3. Double Trouble is innovative no doubt, but it has a more cornball feel to it and comes off as a goofy cartoon ("I would've gotten away with it too if it weren't for you meddling Kongs!", etc). The bosses are more inspired than DKC's 'random enemy with a Super Mushroom' bosses, but the Snowman and Barrel Monster are too goofy. Better than a giant Beaver/Vulture and his Recolor and a giant Bee that changes colors plus a giant obstacle, but so damn goofy at times. Also, I dislike Ellie, Kiddy, and the K. Rool fight. It felt less ambitious overall to me.

DKC1 is too basic for me to want to play after I beat it; there's so little you can do and next to no replay value either, plus the minecarts started getting great in DKC2 and only went up from there, and while DKCR has problems there's some things I give it credit for. The tikis have a nice concept of being hypnotic music instruments with more thought put into them than DKC1's and maybe 3's bosses, but overall they're kinda wack. Thugly, Mangoruby, Mole Miner Max, Colonel Pluck and Tiki Tong are fun to fight and worth replaying. I think Returns has the best minecart levels of all of them, not just the most; some of them were straight up action-packed adrenaline rushes, and some levels like Mast Blast, the rocket barrels and chase stages combined to make this series a very action-oriented sidescroller. When I describe the new DKCs to people I tell them it's an action game--you GOTTA stay on your toes because the levels often change while you're going through it. That's refreshing because the NSMB games tend to be rigid; there's suprises but they aren't organic like Returns and Tropical Freeze's, and don't get me started on Handy Hazards or Music Madness. I absolutely adored those levels.

Basically Returns is the dividing line between the DKCs I love and the ones I think are okay. I could gush for 3 more paragraphs about DKC2 and Tropical Freeze but I don't want to post a wall of text, so I will say this: DKC2 was such a massive step UP from DKC1 that it makes it look bad and the same is definitely true for Tropical Freeze regarding Returns. I deeply cherish both of them and happily recommend it to all platforming fans.
So this youtuber has been reviewing all the DKC games and has finally gotten to Tropical Freeze.

He comes to the conclusion that it isn't the best DKC game because of the item shop and Dixie being OP lol. Seems weird to complain about the item shop when that's completely optional. And if Dixie is OP, let's get her in Smash to compete with Bayo :laugh:
Yea, it seems like he needed to justify his conclusion somehow and grasped at straws.
i dont know if many of you voted for Dixie back in the days..
Sadly, not me .... because i was obsessed to get K.ROOL for DLC.

but i remember 1 thing :

i wrote in the description that DK lack content and REP.
talking about adding DIXIE KONG TOO

View attachment 168556
If K.ROOL actually won the ballot . im sure many of voters
also talked Dixie Kong or DK need more contents.

I don't have BIG BIG hope since box theory and Sakurai talking about slowing down ..BUT
i'm there and i thik Dixie still have a chance for base roster (or next dlc.)
Sakurai know about Dixie popularity and that people love K.ROOL - Dixie...
I voted for Dixie, K. Rool and Rayman in that order on whatever computer I could find. Luckily I was in college around that time so the public library and computer labs were my playgrounds lol
I appreciate the sentiment, but no need to add me.

In case you didn't know, it's Valk~!

Just donning a tongue-in-cheek halloween look, that is all.

I'd wanna say same, but just look what happened to Dark Pit and Lucina - they didn't receive any modification whatsoever from last game, and IDK if I wanna gamble on Daisy like what fans of Dorf had to do for over three games until he got to use anything remotely characteristic to him.

Weird thing too because the only character gaining further modifications seems Dr.Mario, though since he's animated identical to Mario anyway, feels more seniority move done to him due being in Melee.
LOL all this time I thought a brand new member was showing support and I forgot to add them. I fixed the mistake now, thanks. Speaking of which...
I don't think I'm on the barrel list. I was waiting to be a special number but I've been waiting too long.
Yo.....I seriously thought you were on the list for years now. All this time and enthusiasm and I never added you?! That's shocking.... I scrolled up and down the list to find your name and it turns out you truly weren't there...!

I've put your name in now, welcome aboard!

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Yeah, I think that, while its not as good as DKC 2, DKC 3 is better than the first game. If I had to rank them:

DKC2
DKC: Tropical Freeze
DKC3
DKC
DKC Returns
This is exactly how I would rank them.

Art-wise, I am not a huge fan of DKC3, but the level design is top notch. In fact, I'd say out of the list of games DKC Returns is the only one I don't constantly feel compelled to replay when given the chance.

Condenir

Smash Apprentice
Can I be added as a Dixie supporter? She was one of my most wanted since Brawl and I just loved playing as her in the DKC games when I was younger...Can't believe she's still not in but hopefully that all changes with this game!

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
I do agree the minecart levels in Returns were amazing. I think they were better than TF's -- the water one with the changing perspective was gr8 though. I wish we had more minecart levels in TF.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Visually and thematically Tropical Freeze had better minecarts. But in terms of gameplay and excitement Return's minecarts are the best in the entire series.

Crepuscular

Smash Rookie
Honestly the main reason I'm still optimistic for Dixie getting in the game (besides the obvious fact that she just deserves to be in) is that we still have NO Tropical Freeze content at all, right? Tropical Freeze received universal acclaim and was a fresh hot game right before Smash Ultimate went into pre-production. And now got rereleased and is a hot game AGAIN while Smash Ultimate is in the final stages of production.

There's just no way there isn't TF content in this game. At all. And if they weren't showing it off with a character, why haven't we seen it already...

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I have a bad feeling Dixie will get Chrom'd and be put into Diddy's new final smash
I mean, I'd definitely buy Ultimate nevertheless, but I tell you, I'd truly despise seeing Dixie sharing same fate as Captain Toad. It'd be pretty big punch on the gut to already receive another character I perceived as not "in dire straits" in style of obscure Nintendo-characters or similar...

And to think, she'd be final big personal want left too.

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion

Speaking which:

Some might have seen this before but here's a reiteration of what Dixie as an Echo would turn out like.
it just looks so...so wrong...

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
it just looks so...so wrong...
The kicker... most of the community here believe this is what Dixie would/should end up as. :glare:

It really goes a long way to show how just far these lacking impressions of a character can reach from this community.

Last edited:

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
The kicker... most of the community here believe this is what Dixie would/should end up as. :glare:

It really goes a long way to show how just far these lacking impressions of a character can reach from this community.
Most of the Smash community believes that? O_o What is going on here?

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
Most of the Smash community believes that? O_o What is going on here?
People who don't know enough about Dixie(or the few supporters that are desperate to get her in) believe she might be an echo because of her body shape is nearly identical to Diddy's despite the fact that her entire gimmick is her reliance upon her ponytail which is something Diddy can't never do.

Anyone who played the Dkc games were she's a prominent character(Dkc 2,3 & TP as well as Dk Land 2&3) knows her abilities are much different from Diddy which is why it would make no sense if she ends up being an echo.

And there's people like "Ganondorf in Melee" it's to note that he was rushed for Melee's release and even then he only appeared in one game prior to Melee not to mention that he was still the most different from the other Melee clones so they even tried to address that issue at the time. At this point in time Dixie has a huge amount of history that could be incorporated into her move set which is why in truth the echo treatment would be a disgrace. Her being a semi clone would be more appropriate for her at least and thanks to Isabelle, the possibility of her being used in that fashion can happen with this installment.

Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
DKC3 gets better as you go along. I feel like the first world is kind of a rough start, especially when you go from the pier to the mill. The locales are just kind of drab at first.
Thanks for the reassurance. I found some time to play the game before bed and was pretty bored going through the first world despite some neat concepts (skipping on water with Kiddy is tricky if nothing else). The barrel boss was weirdly difficult until I realized using Kiddy's straightforward and quick barrel throw was easier that using Dixie's delayed overhead throw.

I found a part in the snow level where you could keep entering a bonus stage to get a bear coin out of it, so I sat there kinda bored grinding up to 50 of them since I saw a mirror in Bazaar's shop that cost that much. Dunno what it's for but I wish that bonus stage wasn't there so that I wouldn't get the idea to grind.

Anyway I beat the first level of the forest world which was alright. I saved in Winky's cave and turned it off to progress more tomorrow. Hopefully the game does get better like you say cuz so far this game feels like a sequel for sequel's sake.

Luigi player

Smash Master
Well I'll share my DKC game ranking opinion as well:

DKC2
DKC3
DKC
Tropical Freeze
Returns

I'm not bashing the new ones. They're pretty great if not to say amazing games as well. It's just that the originals were the originals and I like how they were done more (or at least they feel more Donkey Kong-ish to me with the partner/buddy-system, Kremlings, DK coins, etc).
DK:R and TF are great but I still wish we got the old buddy system back or something more similar to it. Give us the Kongs like in TF but let us able to choose our character as well please, lol. I don't always want to play as DK (or Funky). It was nice to be able to play the others later, but it was not the initial playthrough and they have to be played alone.. it also feels just a little off that they're too similar. Maybe differentiate them a little more (although that would go a little against the 2 player co-op I guess).. I also liked the old artstyles of the Kongs more. Don't get me started on Diddys new run or cartwheel animations..

But anyway.. there were a lot of flaws in my opinion regarding the new DKC games, but like I said I still thought they did some stuff amazingly. Like the level-design, the difficulty, it looks beautiful, etc... just a few things are missing/off compared to the old games. And it seems to go into the right direction (from DKCR to TF). I even love DKCR for what it is, though. It was a super-inspiring time to play through it.

As for the original trilogy..

DKC(1) is amazing. Super atmospheric and it started this all. It was my first SNES game (got a SNES + DKC bundle at my ~11/12th birthday or something) so there's lots of nostalgia. But overall it does seem kinda bland - just a little bit.

DKC2 is just the best... I liked that we got 2 smaller monkeys. I always liked Diddy more than DK and Dixie was great and fun as well. There was no "ugh I don't want to use this character" during this game (in the others it was possible to be like that sometimes). xD
It also had a great "theme" with the pirates and Kaptain K. Rool. Also great music and it was overall pretty epic as well.

DKC3 is.. well, it's amazing too. Just a little disappointing because of Kiddy. But it's still a great game in itself. We still got Dixie.. I loved the "story", map, all the secrets and cool ideas (bosses, levels, brother bears, etc). It still had amazing music, levels and everything I'd want from a DK game besides Diddy or DK instead of Kiddy. It always makes me a little sad when people say it isn't too great. Yeah, it's not DKC2, but it's a worthy "sequel" and an amazing game.

If I had to rank DK64 somewhere in there, it would be much harder than the other ones, but it would probably either be above or below DKC3. I always disliked that they used Tiny for no reason instead of Dixie.. but of course it's still super amazing to me.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
DKC3 has picked up a bit now that I've beaten the second world. Looks like I can choose between 2 different worlds now, neat.

This game REALLY loves water huh.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Yeah DKC3 is the perfect 7.8/10 type of game.
At least you don't get constant random encounters of the same 2 enemies in this game because the developer was too scared to change up how water encounters worked, causing the ocean area to feel like a chore to get through unless you used an item that eliminated the encounters, which makes it better on yourself but also you have to ask if needing to use an encounter-reducing item the entire time you're in the ocean is a failure on the part of the game developers who are supposed to encourage you to constantly meet new enemies and thus tempt you to avoid using that item.

...I have problems with Pokémon Gen 3 and I don't like how the 7.8 meme is invalidating the albeit badly-phrased criticism of the latter third of the game with all the surfing around. But yeah.

Nap_

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty sure that they didn't show Diddy's new final Smash for especulation, like they did with Chrom.
Dark Samus after Ridley, echoes with some heavy changes, Diddy poorly showed, Isabelle... There's enough material for Dixie's fan club.

Last edited:

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Baron K. Roolenstein is a bit crap though, you have to admit.

All the lever pulling and switches feels like a prelude to DK64.

Marcello691

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 0035 6389 6608
I think what I liked most about dkc3 was it's overworld. Back then It was really cool to explore it and find the banana bird caves. Also that you could choose between two worlds and the secret with the hidden world were pretty cool things too!
Many people say that dkc3 isn't that atmospheric as the previous two games, I can't agree on that point, I would even say that it has a "darker" tone to it which becomes clearly noticeable after the first two worlds. And that water world music...love it!

Takasmash

Smash Ace
I bet Diddy Kong new final smash is the Radio Player it will be a cutscence but it wont be like Donkey Smash 4 FS.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
This is still an awesome song.
It conveys a sense of adventure and mystery. What is this place and where are DK and Diddy? THe game really could use a few cutscenes to frame it better.

Marcello691

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 0035 6389 6608
That's exactly what I always thought about that overworld theme!
I like that so much.
It's so cool how they changed the overworld theme for each dkc so that it suits the games perfectly.
The first one is carefree and relaxed, the second one sounds gloomy and dangerous and the third one like InASnowBoundLand InASnowBoundLand described it.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
The only thing Diddy and Dixie share is their build types. Dixie Kong is in the position where being a semi-clone like Isabelle fits her best.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
This is still an awesome song.
It conveys a sense of adventure and mystery. What is this place and where are DK and Diddy? THe game really could use a few cutscenes to frame it better.
Is it just me but do I hear a little bit of fear factory/automatic action in that track? Obviously Automatic Action came after this song but part of the song does sound similar.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I fought against KAOS for the first time. What a weird design for a robot boss.

DKC3 is REALLY picking up. I didn't expect a low gravity level, that was cool. Trying to outrun a giant saw chasing you up some trees was pretty stressful.

Looks like this is one of those games that gets better the more you play it. I wish it made a stronger first impression, but that's in the past now. Starting the water world next.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I fought against KAOS for the first time. What a weird design for a robot boss.

DKC3 is REALLY picking up. I didn't expect a low gravity level, that was cool. Trying to outrun a giant saw chasing you up some trees was pretty stressful.

Looks like this is one of those games that gets better the more you play it. I wish it made a stronger first impression, but that's in the past now. Starting the water world next.
I tried making the KAOS fight in Little Big Planet. It's kinda wonky.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
One of the things that kind of impress me in retrospect about Tropical Freeze is that it got so diverse in its level design while still just sticking to the basic movement and abilities of the kongs. We got some Rambi levels, but those are still essentially just having more immunity.

DKC2 and DKC3, meanwhile, introduce a lot of diversity in having specific levels that feature specific animal buddies. Like, Squawks and Squitter levels could have essentially been their own game. Same with Ellie.

It'd be interesting for a third DKC game in the vein of TF and DKCR to reintroduce stuff that hasn't been brought back, like Kremlins and more animal buddies, in the same way TF brought back the idea of customizing abilities by choosing kongs.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
The water world was great. I don't think the swimming in DKC is especially interesting until Tropical Freeze, but the music is always great. The rocket barrels were pretty neat, though the ones in Returns and TF are cooler. The gimmick with the fish that eats other fish was annoying until I realized that eating the spiked fish doesn't delay the process but hurries it. The boss was a little easy though, just run in a circle and shoot a couple of eyes a few times.

Now it's time for the snow world, looks like.

Top Bottom