• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
Limbs of pool noodles? Ever hit someone with a Forward Air or Forward Smash? Diddy plays intensively satisfying for me because of those moves. He can even KO with Up Tilt. Up Smash and Forward Smash also being very reliable kill moves. You can build up damage very easily, especially compared to Sheik and Pikachu, who need far more hits to do the same amount of damage Diddy can do. You can also spike people very nasty with Down Air, chain up to 4 Back Airs from a grab, do good damage and knockback with the Monkey Flip Kick, and of course the Banana shenanigans which deepen Diddy's playstyle. He's just overall a very fun and satisfying character to me, but it does take quite a bit to get real good with him. Which is worth the investment if you ask me.
I also highly agree with this, Diddy's move set is one of the most fun move sets in fighting game history for me. Ever since Brawl I have pretty addicted to using him, I also love how a lot of his animations in the majority of his attacks are from the games. This is why I'm still curious about what changes he'll have in Ultimate though I know there's still plenty of other characters who also haven't been shown that much in Ultimate as well.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
If the K. Rool fanbase proved anything is that making noise and being vocal matters. If all that concentrated effort was applied to K. Rool until it worked and SOMEHOW we still don't have Dixie in this game, I fully hope she rises to be the next K. Rool in terms of fan demand for DLC.

I'd be annoyed if a character like Dixie, with her name in the title of a highly successful sequel to a highly successful and culturally significant franchise and with a recent game both when this Smash was being conceived and literally this year, fails to make it into this game because of not having as much fan traction as others.

tl;dr if another direct or character reveal goes by and still no Dixie, I feel it'd be time to start getting loud to ensure there's some hope for DLC.
May I suggest the idea of making a twitter account to help campaign for Dixie in Smash? I think it would help.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Even though I really want to see Dixie get in Smash, I'd be willing to wait until the next Smash game if it means making her unique.

I'll take whatever I get, but I'd hate to think Dixie would be stuck as an Echo forever because Sakurai felt pressured to add her last minute. It'll require a lot of patience, but I'd be happier if the end result was a unique character, regardless of how long it would take.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Even though I really want to see Dixie get in Smash, I'd be willing to wait until the next Smash game if it means making her unique.

I'll take whatever I get, but I'd hate to think Dixie would be stuck as an Echo forever because Sakurai felt pressured to add her last minute. It'll require a lot of patience, but I'd be happier if the end result was a unique character, regardless of how long it would take.
She'd definitely be stuck as an Echo forever if she were to be added as one. Look at what's become of Ganondorf.

Last edited:

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
She'd definitely be stuck as an Echo forever if she were to be added as one. Look at what's become of Ganondorf.
Yikes that's exactly some people here said that's the worst case scenario especially when DP and Lucina didn't get any changes either. I don't think it's going to happen though since we already mentioned before how the up b would have to be made from scratch and it would go against all the description of her trophies that mention how important her ponytail is to her character.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
Limbs of pool noodles? Ever hit someone with a Forward Air or Forward Smash?
yeah good point, after playing the character every day for over a month, i somehow didn't use either of those moves even once. ;)

passive-agressive antagonizing aside, i dont expect anyone to agree with me, i just dont think diddy is the kind of character i would main. and even if dixie did end up with a similar playstyle, i'd learn to like it since i am absolutely maining this character no matter what.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
It is disconcerting how little activity this thread has despite the legacy Dixie Kong has. There is an absolutely massive amount of people that support her on this site (probably the only one that seems to have a higher list of supporters is Isaac). Dixie Kong is among the few Nintendo characters left with a long history of importance, and could have been important enough to be implemented back during Brawl.

There was actually a K. Rool supporter whom in the general thread explained why we have not seen Dixie Kong explode in requests and support like we thought she would.

https://smashboards.com/threads/sma...-possible-spoilers-leaks.434391/post-22515250
="mynameisBlade, post: 22515250, member: 168179"]Most of us are done with speculation, due to the sheer amount of waiting we did for K. Rool. Some of the hard core speculators and fans are still around, but for the most part seeing K. Rool wasn't the signal to WANT something else. It was more of a closure thing for most of us. Just because our energy is not being used on that specific character or maybe speculation in general anymore doesn't mean we are not fans of Dixie. I love Dixie. We'll see if she gets in. I hope so.

I know I speak for many K. Rool fans when I say that I used every ounce of mental energy since 2014 especially, trying to get him playable by spreading the word anywhere and everywhere. We had the #KrocTheVote slogan flying around and Japan was sending their love too. Who would have guessed that he was going to be confirmed a few years later. Many of our support efforts were for new DK content in general. Not just K. Rool. For those of us who actually care about the DK franchise as whole, we wanted any new DK representation. Different stages, more varieties of music, and new fighters. Even if all we could get was DK items or an AT.

Dreams do come true and not only did we get K. Rool, but every other one of those things as well. Dixie couldn't be far behind. She almost made into Brawl after all. I'm still rooting for her with the little bit of energy I have left. xD It has just been nice to take a break. *PHEW* (Ridley fans should understand) Our thread drastically slowed down after K. Rools inclusion whereas the Isaac thread (where I spend most of my time now) has exploded to an enormous size in comparison. Whether it be from anxiety or hype, it isn't too clear, but once you get what you've wanted for so long, it feels so good to just sit back and watch.
A lot of DK fans are just exhausted after having to fight for 11 years to get another DK newcomer after Diddy Kong. Its unfortunate, but it is what it is.

We need to think of ways that we can engage the active Smash Bros. online fans about being proactive about Dixie Kong support. We have an enormous list of supporters to work with, but it seems only a few of these are actually passionate about their support for Dixie Kong. I saw the same thing with Roy. Roy had a ton of supporters, but only a few were loud and passionate.

I do not think Dixie Kong is going to be among the remaining newcomers for the base game (I think there are only 2-4 characters left for that), however, DLC is a possibility. However, the competition for DLC is going to be very stiff (especially considering who ultimately gets added for the base roster).

Many, many Smash Bros. fans recognize Dixie Kong is a big name and one of the few characters left that absolutely does deserve a spot on the roster. However, we need to think of how to translate such consensus into action, and not just hope or assume Sakurai and his team feels the same way.

The moniker for Dixie Kong seems to be the Last Nintendo All-Star. Ultimate's moniker is "Everyone is here". That last line was referring to veterans, but since then has added the likes of Ridley, K. Rool, Simon Belmont, and Isabelle. Dixie Kong is the most conspicuous absence now. How many other Nintendo characters can say they were one of the main stars for one but TWO games that sold over three million copies?

DKC2 and DKC3 have also been re-released for the GBA, Wii VC, Wii U VC, and New 3DS VC. We also have Tropical Freeze for a new excellent game that features Dixie Kong which was released for the Wii U and Switch. Dixie Kong has plenty of exposure throughout the last 23 years.

We may not have legions of yelling loud fanboys, but no one can deny just how iconic and important Dixie Kong is to the DK franchise and thus Nintendo as a whole. She is one of Nintendo's original heroines, and one of its most popular ones at that.

There are only two months left until Ultimate's release. Let's keep the pace up, and keep hoping for our favorite girl with the twirl.

Last edited:

TropicalBreeze

Smash Apprentice
Limbs of pool noodles? Ever hit someone with a Forward Air or Forward Smash? Diddy plays intensively satisfying for me because of those moves. He can even KO with Up Tilt. Up Smash and Forward Smash also being very reliable kill moves. You can build up damage very easily, especially compared to Sheik and Pikachu, who need far more hits to do the same amount of damage Diddy can do. You can also spike people very nasty with Down Air, chain up to 4 Back Airs from a grab, do good damage and knockback with the Monkey Flip Kick, and of course the Banana shenanigans which deepen Diddy's playstyle. He's just overall a very fun and satisfying character to me, but it does take quite a bit to get real good with him. Which is worth the investment if you ask me.
Sorry, I can't trust the opinion of a so-called Diddy main who didn't even play him in 64 or Melee.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
While we can't change the Internets mind over night. Us K.Rool supporters seemed to be fighting and endless never winning battle for 15+ years regarding him in Smash. It's gonna take time to get Dixie up to that level. While I was NEVER one of those people who ONLY wanted K.Rool and viewed Dixie as a threat. I ALWAYS felt they should've came into Smash as a "package deal". The series is big enough and has enough well known characters to justify 2 newcomers in one game. Mario, Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Kid Icarus, and Kirby have all gotten more than 1 newcomer in a game in the series, why can't the DK franchise?

Well I'll tell you why it's multiple reasons really:

- Nintendo as well as it's fans treat the DK franchise as nothing more than a sub-series to the Mario franchise. Most kids nowadays don't even know of the classic DKC trilogy. They simply only know of DK and Diddy through Mario spin-offs. A lot of people view Returns and Tropical Freeze on the same level as like Luigi's Mansion, Warioware, and Yoshi series. Main adventures/series of side characters to Mario. It's kinda Nintendo's fault for mismanaging, mis-marketing, and diluting the DK brand after Rare left. It also doesn't help that Dixie doesn't have the same exposure as someone like DK and Diddy as Nintendo only added her to like 3 Mario spin-off games. All 3 of which weren't exactly the best selling (Super Sluggers, Superstar Baseball, and Hoops 3 on 3). Funky seems to be more requested (which is baffling to me) because he had the privilege of being in Mario Kart Wii (and the most used character at that) one of the best selling games of ALL TIME on one of the most successful consoles of ALL TIME as well as becoming an internet meme with "all-new Funky mode!" So most of the kiddies on the internet clamor for him over Dixie even though Dixie is wayyy more "deserving" of a spot than Funky. If Nintendo had Dixie in Mario Kart Wii or 8 Deluxe or gave her a constant stream of Mario spin-off appearances throughout the years I'm sure she would be up there among the highly requested/regarded.

- Sakurai's seemingly "bias" stance on the DK franchise. It took us 5 games in to FINALLY get our first assist trophy with Klaptrap, DK had one item in Melee and it was only in that game, then Sakurai gives us the "banana gun" which isn't even canon to the DK franchise. We had to beg and plea to get K.Rool into the game even though he REALLY should've been in since Melee (and not disregarded in his own series), hell Sakurai even said in an interview he only added Diddy to Brawl because people kept questioning why such an "All-Star" wasn't in at that point. Not because Sakurai actually wanted to add him. The music selection in Smash rarely ever goes beyond the first DKC game and even then it's mostly "Jungle Hijinx". Every DK stage (except Jungle Hijinx and 75m) is a generic jungle and are VERY loosely based on the DK series. So I just feel Dixie is an unfortunate spot because the director of the series probably just doesn't "get it". He tried to add her in Brawl and couldn't so he had the opportunity to do it in Smash 4 and he didn't.

- Most fans view her as nothing more than Diddy in a Pink hat. So they automatically assume even if she was to ever get in she would be an echo and nothing more. While people like echoes they don't have the same appeal and clamor as newcomers do. That could be another thing Sakurai probably COULD make Dixie an echo but maybe he was in mid-development and realized she was too unique to make an echo so he could've either made her semi-clone or once again scrapped her because their wasn't enough time to develop her so he could either save her as DLC or just leave her as a "forbidden 7"

- Dixie has the unfortunate timing of coming in as one of the last big Nintendo characters left to add. So most of the Smash community feel "basically all the main Nintendo characters are here" so they're turning their attention to 3rd party characters like Shantae, Ken, Shadow, Sora, Doom Guy, Rayman, Crash, Spyro, etc. because they feel only 3rd party characters can be "hype" at this point. Most Smash fans feel we are hitting the "bottom of the barrel" when it comes to 1st party choices. Which is why I hate the fact that 3rd party characters were even added to Smash in the first place because it takes away the focus from Nintendo characters and it becomes more about "What 3rd party character added to Smash will make headlines!?" instead of "celebrating NINTENDO's history and characters".

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
I just had a dream we got a surprise Smash direct overnight, and I had to immediately scramble to find all the bits and pieces of information online because the direct in its entirely wasn't uploaded anywhere. Among the announcements I could find were Steve, Incineroar, and...a Dixie Kong Mii costume.

It got me to thinking, how would you guys feel about this? Yeah, it's obviously not the same as having her, but look how many characters with Mii costumes ended up becoming playable: Inkling, Chrom, K Rool, Isabelle, probably some others too. If we can't get Dixie in Ultimate at all, I personally wouldn't mind this consolation prize.

But seriously tho we do need Dixie in Ultimate

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
]
I just had a dream we got a surprise Smash direct overnight, and I had to immediately scramble to find all the bits and pieces of information online because the direct in its entirely wasn't uploaded anywhere. Among the announcements I could find were Steve, Incineroar, and...a Dixie Kong Mii costume.

It got me to thinking, how would you guys feel about this? Yeah, it's obviously not the same as having her, but look how many characters with Mii costumes ended up becoming playable: Inkling, Chrom, K Rool, Isabelle, probably some others too. If we can't get Dixie in Ultimate at all, I personally wouldn't mind this consolation prize.

But seriously tho we do need Dixie in Ultimate
Not for me, Miis are my least favorite characters by far. I didn't even make one in the previous game.

I would be nearly ticked off as Rool fans were back when he was a Mii costume.

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
I agree at first glance, but in this certain context, it wouldn't be the content that piques my interest. It would be the message.

"Yeah, we didn't have time to implement this character just yet, so this is all we can do for you for now. Don't worry--the real thing is coming soon."

Yes, I know plenty of Mii costumes haven't been made into characters, but in this case, I think it would be the natural next step as her popularity is already very high. In hindsight we should not have been annoyed at the K Rool costume because it was foreshadowing of what was to come.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
"Yeah, we didn't have time to implement this character just yet, so this is all we can do for you for now. Don't worry--the real thing is coming soon."
define "soon", because it took k. rool an entirely new game before he finally showed up. it seems weird to me that they would make a mii costume for a character they were planning to introduce as dlc later when they were used in smash 4 for characters who weren't ever going to be playable in that game anyway (discounting costumes based on base roster fighters like samus or meta knight)

sure its possible that they could, but theres no precedent for it, and to dixie fans it would just seem like confirming that she doesn't even have a shot.

SuperJumpmon64

Smash Cadet
Heyo! Can ya add me to the list of supporters? Definitely want to see Dixie in Smash Ultimate.

Also, about Sabertooth's dream, I also had a dream about Dixie in Smash, but she was actually a fighter, though I didn't know if she was unique or an echo. Not only that but she was also with other fighters, like Shadow, Impa, Skull Kid, Incineroar, and Geno. That's pretty much all I remember.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483

Damn, getting it right the first time is even more crucial.
I told you all eons back like, many times before. It's why I'm upset still about Daisy's overall inclusion since she feels ultimately arbitrary as she comes.

So much for me to wanting her be more than just "Yellow Loud Peach" in community's eyes...

There are only two months left until Ultimate's release. Let's keep the pace up, and keep hoping for our favorite girl with the twirl.
If it gives you any hope, we have to yet see Diddy showing off his pink Dixie-alt in any form of Ultimate's footage or released media so far. And we know what went down with somewhat similar absences of Robin in the demo roster before Chrom was shown.

DLC we most likely will be rallying for, but I think it might be a while before that can be started off in serious terms - I think best time being if announcement of DLC happens soon after Ultimate's release,, and even then, we still might have to wait for the initial hype and excitement to wind down a bit over the months. Might also allow the Kutthroats regain their energy for probable support to give Dixie a big push.

We also should have more info than before to update most of what we know so far about Ultimate's development or final content, and how that pertains on Dixie's chances or implementation.

Before all that though, some stones are still being left unturned that we need to get to. Like that lone rock in middle of Winter Tundra that happened to house an Orb for me in Spyro 2...

Last edited:

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
Your dream sounds a heck of a lot better than mine, Jumpman Kongicoot! That'd be a great final roster.
- Dixie has the unfortunate timing of coming in as one of the last big Nintendo characters left to add. So most of the Smash community feel "basically all the main Nintendo characters are here" so they're turning their attention to 3rd party characters like Shantae, Ken, Shadow, Sora, Doom Guy, Rayman, Crash, Spyro, etc. because they feel only 3rd party characters can be "hype" at this point. Most Smash fans feel we are hitting the "bottom of the barrel" when it comes to 1st party choices. Which is why I hate the fact that 3rd party characters were even added to Smash in the first place because it takes away the focus from Nintendo characters and it becomes more about "What 3rd party character added to Smash will make headlines!?" instead of "celebrating NINTENDO's history and characters".
I agree with this paragraph quite a bit. The fact that Cloud, Ryu, and Pac-Man got into Smash before King K Rool...still perturbs me to this day.

Last edited:

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
If it gives you any hope, we have to yet see Diddy showing off his pink Dixie-alt in any form of Ultimate's footage or released media so far. And we know what went down with somewhat similar absences of Robin in the demo roster before Chrom was shown.
As ZeroJanitor ZeroJanitor mentioned before I don't believe that costume would have any effect on Dixie's presence, Fox still has a Wolf like costume (though it's a bit more purple like now, they could diversify it if needed to) so that costume theory could be just a red herring.

Also admittedly I've always liked that costume and I think Dixie should have a costume based on Diddy's color since many suggest the idea.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
That this is a limited newcomer roster and that K. Rool is already in has a sort of dampening effect on Dixie. If she is not in the base game, though, I think we will see Dixie become much more of a "fever" character. I think she's transitioning to that now. If you notice, exchanges about her for example being an echo fighter are getting testier and testier online. She is slowly becoming more and more of a lightning rod for attention, and just like K. Rool, even people who don't like the character are contributing to the conversation. Thanks haters!

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Your dream sounds a heck of a lot better than mine, Jumpman Kongicoot! That'd be a great final roster.

I agree with this paragraph quite a bit. The fact that Cloud, Ryu, and Pac-Man got into Smash before King K Rool...still perturbs me to this day.
Pac-Man I can understand getting in before K.Rool. But characters like Snake, Cloud, the abundance of Fire Emblem reps, Wii Fit Trainer, and Bayonetta getting in before K.Rool does make me a bit bitter. Don't get me wrong better late than never but man if I was creating Smash Bros and didn't add the main villain of the 5th best selling franchise of the company I work for in a crossover game until 5 games later. I don't know how I could live the rest of my life without being in regret. It would be like me not adding Bowser until Ultimate.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
The Real Dixie Beat
David Wise, Eveline Fischer, Britney Spears

Pink beret, it's cute.
you like?
It's the latest fashion,
In 19-95, baby!
Smash is my latest passion.

Flyin' high with my big ponytail
I dance among the stars --
yahuh!
In 19-95, baby,
I helped Nintendo rake the cash-in.

My name? U know it --
Don't lie!
I pirouette when I'm dashin'!
In 19-95, baby,
I started Kremling bashin.

Put me in the game, g*ddamn,
Put me in the Smash bros mansion.
In 2018, baby,
I'm hollerin for action.

Last edited:

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
The Real Dixie Beat
David Wise, Eveline Fischer, Britney Spears

Pink beret, it's cute.
you like?
It's the latest fashion,
In 19-95, baby!
Smash is my latest passion.

Flyin' high with my big ponytail
I dance among the stars --
yahuh!
In 19-95, baby,
I helped Nintendo rake the cash-in.

My name? U know it --
Don't lie!
I pirouette when I'm dashin'!
In 19-95, baby,
I started Kremling bashin.

Put me in the game, g*ddamn,
Put me in the Smash bros mansion.
In 2018, baby,
I'm hollerin for action.

Britney Spears is so perfect for that era. A bit washed up now though.

So is every DK character going to have a rap verse type thing now? I suppose Dixie WAS left out of the DK Crew rap in 64.

But would this beat have dank trumpets?

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Another part of the problem that I'm not seeing mentioned is that Dixie is a particularly "Western" character, since she was created by Rare and even Tropical Freeze was technically western developed (Retro Studios)

So when we're talking about a japanese developer working from japan on a game for a company known for making decisions that highly benefit japan at the expense of the global market, it makes sense that DKC content is not even in Sakurai's mind.
Diddy wasn't even thought about for Melee when, to us, it would have been extremely obvious. By the time he happened in Brawl, that's when Diddy already had both presence from Mario Kart AND Mario Tennis... and I'm willing to bet the only reason that happened is because DK needed a partner in Double Dash, much like Waluigi only exists because of Wario needing a partner and Toadette only exists because of Toad needing a partner.
Only reason Dixie came close at that point was Sakurai probably looking at a reel of who Diddy was and noticing Dixie in the background and thought of that as a possible mechanic.

So really, this is how low Nintendo of Japan sees DKC characters. That's why it took several years, a decade or so long campaign, and a ballot for then to realize that K. Rool was a thing. It's why characters like Snake, Cloud and Bayonetta got in first... because all of them are characters that are japanese-created and staples of gaming to a japanese perspective.

Which means that unless Nintendo actually thinks and makes decisions globally FOR ONCE and considers what is significant to people outside their country of origin, I don't expect stuff like Dixie to just make it in without another high profile ballot grassroots campaign to make them notice.

This is also why you have things like Dark Samus being an echo and Isabelle being a semi-clone. Who made Dark Samus? A western developer. Isabelle? Japanese made. I'm ready to bet that Dark Samus was just tossed in because they could while Isabelle involved detailed demands from the AC devs.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
[edit: nvm ill just stop making an ass of myself]

Last edited:

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
yeah but not everyone is convinced that the dev team is completely apathetic to the wants of the west like you suggest. in fact i'd say nintendo as a whole has been paying more attention to the western demographic lately than they have in 15 years
You say that, but at the same time we still have things like terrible online infrastructure and high favoritism towards local multiplayer. Nintendo's server infrastructure works great when everyone is concentrated in a densely populated area (see: Japan). It's ass when you're not (see: the rest of the world)

Sure, they have gotten better, with things like games now being localized BEFORE japanese release being particularly notable, but I do find it a bit naive to assume that Nintendo of Japan is keenly aware of global interests. NoA and NoE do great work in trying to mitigate this impression, but to this day it's keenly obvious just how much the japanese demographic is favored during development, with localization efforts only happened reactively.

DeniroSerafim

Smash Apprentice
Clearly someone needs to just make a ton of really convincing Dixie leaks so enough people just expect her, leading to disappointment when she doesn't get in, which will then hopefully lead to DLC. Of course, she will be in the game alongside Funky so it doesn't matter though....:(

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
That's...actually a really good idea, DeniroSerafim. When Smash fans seriously start to expect something, they conflate that feeling with actual desire. It's the only reason people wanted the Chorus Kids in Smash 4.

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
Sorry, I confused you with SuperJumpmon because the names are similar. From now on I'm just going to avoid addressing people by alternate usernames.

Last edited:

Marcello691

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 0035 6389 6608
Pac-Man I can understand getting in before K.Rool. But characters like Snake, Cloud, the abundance of Fire Emblem reps, Wii Fit Trainer, and Bayonetta getting in before K.Rool does make me a bit bitter. Don't get me wrong better late than never but man if I was creating Smash Bros and didn't add the main villain of the 5th best selling franchise of the company I work for in a crossover game until 5 games later. I don't know how I could live the rest of my life without being in regret. It would be like me not adding Bowser until Ultimate.
Donkey Kong is actually Nintendo's number 4 in terms of sales:
Mario
Pokemon
Zelda
Donkey Kong
If Rare was still with Nintendo, I think DK would be Number 3 or even with Zelda.
At the time rare was making DK games, Zelda and DK were equal with both selling around 40mil then.
And I do think K.Rool deserved to be in smash before Pac-man. I mean Pac man was a highly successful Arcade game back then but it didn't really make a good or successful transition to Consoles. I think pac man is only in smash because of namco's help with development.
I really think that Rare and Nintendo weren't really on good terms, that's why Nintendo neglected rare's creations all the years.
I don't have any other guess. I mean c'mon, the dkc games are still the best selling western developed games in Japan, there is no way Sakurai didn't play the games when they came out! Dixie Kong's double trouble sold almost two million copies in japan alone and it came out after the n64 launch.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
SuperJumpmon64 SuperJumpmon64 and ~ Valkyrie ~ ~ Valkyrie ~ are now in the Barrel!
Another part of the problem that I'm not seeing mentioned is that Dixie is a particularly "Western" character, since she was created by Rare and even Tropical Freeze was technically western developed (Retro Studios)

So when we're talking about a japanese developer working from japan on a game for a company known for making decisions that highly benefit japan at the expense of the global market, it makes sense that DKC content is not even in Sakurai's mind.
Diddy wasn't even thought about for Melee when, to us, it would have been extremely obvious. By the time he happened in Brawl, that's when Diddy already had both presence from Mario Kart AND Mario Tennis... and I'm willing to bet the only reason that happened is because DK needed a partner in Double Dash, much like Waluigi only exists because of Wario needing a partner and Toadette only exists because of Toad needing a partner.
Only reason Dixie came close at that point was Sakurai probably looking at a reel of who Diddy was and noticing Dixie in the background and thought of that as a possible mechanic.

So really, this is how low Nintendo of Japan sees DKC characters. That's why it took several years, a decade or so long campaign, and a ballot for then to realize that K. Rool was a thing. It's why characters like Snake, Cloud and Bayonetta got in first... because all of them are characters that are japanese-created and staples of gaming to a japanese perspective.

Which means that unless Nintendo actually thinks and makes decisions globally FOR ONCE and considers what is significant to people outside their country of origin, I don't expect stuff like Dixie to just make it in without another high profile ballot grassroots campaign to make them notice.

This is also why you have things like Dark Samus being an echo and Isabelle being a semi-clone. Who made Dark Samus? A western developer. Isabelle? Japanese made. I'm ready to bet that Dark Samus was just tossed in because they could while Isabelle involved detailed demands from the AC devs.
Honestly you might be onto something here. What's odd is that DKC is reasonably popular over in Japan as well, much more than Metroid thankfully (don't get me wrong I love the Prime trilogy) so I take it for granted that Sakurai would've shown this series more love than what we got.

Not trying to be a hater, but that title. Tom Nook is for sure an All-star too, I think you can make an argument for quite a few more
How many of the ones you can name aren't deconfirmed though?
Now that the box-theory got put down a little by the downloadcode-card I have more hope again for at least a few more characters. Maybe 4-5. Maybe she does actually make it - who knows. It's still possible. Sakurai wouldn't forget about her and she's important enough to get a role. If she doesn't she'll probably be thought about/held off for DLC later...
Box theory's losing its grip? GOOD, it was annoying seeing so many people lose hope because of it.
May I suggest the idea of making a twitter account to help campaign for Dixie in Smash? I think it would help.
Not a bad idea in the slightest! Anyone up to the task? I can get a poll going and we can all vote on it; just need some names.

SeashoreWar

Smash Journeyman
So this youtuber has been reviewing all the DKC games and has finally gotten to Tropical Freeze.

He comes to the conclusion that it isn't the best DKC game because of the item shop and Dixie being OP lol. Seems weird to complain about the item shop when that's completely optional. And if Dixie is OP, let's get her in Smash to compete with Bayo :laugh:

Maxoxpower

Smash Ace
i dont know if many of you voted for Dixie back in the days..
Sadly, not me .... because i was obsessed to get K.ROOL for DLC.

but i remember 1 thing :

i wrote in the description that DK lack content and REP.
talking about adding DIXIE KONG TOO

1538932431256.png

If K.ROOL actually won the ballot . im sure many of voters
also talked Dixie Kong or DK need more contents.

I don't have BIG BIG hope since box theory and Sakurai talking about slowing down ..BUT
i'm there and i thik Dixie still have a chance for base roster (or next dlc.)
Sakurai know about Dixie popularity and that people love K.ROOL - Dixie...

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I told you all eons back like, many times before. It's why I'm upset still about Daisy's overall inclusion since she feels ultimately arbitrary as she comes.

So much for me to wanting her be more than just "Yellow Loud Peach" in community's eyes...

DLC we most likely will be rallying for, but I think it might be a while before that can be started off in serious terms - I think best time being if announcement of DLC happens soon after Ultimate's release,, and even then, we still might have to wait for the initial hype and excitement to wind down a bit over the months. Might also allow the Kutthroats regain their energy for probable support to give Dixie a big push.

We also should have more info than before to update most of what we know so far about Ultimate's development or final content, and how that pertains on Dixie's chances or implementation.

Before all that though, some stones are still being left unturned that we need to get to. Like that lone rock in middle of Winter Tundra that happened to house an Orb for me in Spyro 2...
On the bright side, Daisy being in Mario's roster means she might get some differentiation in some of her moves in future Smash entries (even if Mario's moveset had to be changed in drastic ways just so Dr. Mario would feel less redundant).

Honestly you might be onto something here. What's odd is that DKC is reasonably popular over in Japan as well, much more than Metroid thankfully (don't get me wrong I love the Prime trilogy) so I take it for granted that Sakurai would've shown this series more love than what we got.
It was said before that this might have been to due the "victim of circumstances" factor. Every prior Smash entry beyond 64 was released when the DKC franchise was in a bad place, aside maybe 4 (although Diddy may have been added in Brawl almost certainly due to popular demand), and even then TF was too recent to capitalise on it compared to the timing Odyssey and Breath of the Wild got this go-round. So Sakurai may have thought it wouldn't be justified for him to focus on DKC characters much at those points, though he did have the decency to add new stages in the meantime.

Strong DK

Smash Apprentice

I think this is the hard truth or close to it.

hustler713

Smash Apprentice
First of all, add me to Supporters List.

Second, could anyone explain to me HOW the f*** Dixie would make ANY sense as a diddy echoe?

Everyones talking about hoping Dixie becomes a diddy echoe, heck i've seen people in various comment sections saying Dixie wouldn't even make sense as a unique.

I get that they have similiar proportions, but Dixie neither has a Peanut Gun nor does she have a Barrel Jet Pack. Her up B should basically be DK's.
I get that Chrom also has Moves from Chars other than Roy, but not to that extend. Diddy literally has 2 Specials which could work for Dixie, and even then i think Barrels for her down b would be more fitting than Bananas and Diddys side B was a generic move that made him look more chimpanzee to begin with.
I don't want to go into full Detail about every Tilt, Smash or Aerial, but, to a lesser extend, i also don't see Diddys Normals work that well for Dixie.

So where does everybody take from, that she should be an echoe?

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
I admit that I used to place myself firmly in the Echo camp simply because I could not imagine a second brand new DK rep in the same game. I still can't, mind you, but now I'm much less open to the idea of her as an echo. A Dixie moveset that doesn't revolve around the hair does not sound like Dixie to me.

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
First of all, add me to Supporters List.

Second, could anyone explain to me HOW the f*** Dixie would make ANY sense as a diddy echoe?

Everyones talking about hoping Dixie becomes a diddy echoe, heck i've seen people in various comment sections saying Dixie wouldn't even make sense as a unique.

I get that they have similiar proportions, but Dixie neither has a Peanut Gun nor does she have a Barrel Jet Pack. Her up B should basically be DK's.
I get that Chrom also has Moves from Chars other than Roy, but not to that extend. Diddy literally has 2 Specials which could work for Dixie, and even then i think Barrels for her down b would be more fitting than Bananas and Diddys side B was a generic move that made him look more chimpanzee to begin with.
I don't want to go into full Detail about every Tilt, Smash or Aerial, but, to a lesser extend, i also don't see Diddys Normals work that well for Dixie.

So where does everybody take from, that she should be an echoe?
Unfortunately there's always someone who makes ignorant comments like this.

https://smashboards.com/threads/sma...spoilers-leaks.434391/page-5115#post-22504728

Some people just don't know what Dixie's all about... the ponytail is the key element of her character.

Top Bottom