• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
i should really get back into dkc3, i got bored with the game about 2/3 of the way in (not the games fault i just have a really cruddy attention span).

speaking of getting bored, i personally feel that smash speculation has gone stale where dixie is concerned. just seems like everybody's still saying the same things about her that they've been saying since the game was revealed, never really swaying opinions one way or the other. not that i even particularly want to follow smash speculation since everythings just false alarms and conspiracy theories but its frustrating when you have that one character you want and theres just nothing out there to satiate it.

oh well, its just a couple months until the game's out anyway. i've waited longer for less.

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
I need to get into a particular mood in order to play DKC3. It's not as smooth and rewarding of an experience as the first two. Doesn't help Kiddy is insufferable. I haven't played it in years, though I might consider a playthrough if Dixie gets in, as that would really motivate me to try it again.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
i mean i agree hes not the coolest or most interesting kong around but insufferable?

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Kiddy Kong isn't great but he's not insufferable. I personally think the noise he makes when he loses a life is hilarious, if only unintentionally, because it very clearly sounds like a grown adult man screaming, rather than an infant.

Also Kiddy Kong's crying > Baby Mario's crying.

The levels are beautiful and tricky, they just have a more easygoing atmosphere to them compared to DKC2. Don't let Kiddy Kong of all things ruin that for you.

Oh yeah: I beat the snow world. I had to look up where the banana cave was, how is ANYONE supposed to know to press up on the 5th level to access the cabin in the upper left corner of the map? Yeesh.

Anyway, the cliffside world is next. Looks like the last one, or second to last at least.

SuperJumpmon64

Smash Cadet
Kiddy Kong is not that interesting, but insufferable? I doubt that. I had no problem playing as him, and his crying isn't really that annoying. Like what TheYungLink said, its more of a grown man screaming than a baby crying, and is just funny. The only bad thing I can say about Kiddy is his design, it looks weird.

VeemonTamer

Cyber Sleuth
NNID
VeemonTamer
I feel that I should go back and replay DKC3. I beat it on the SNES and GBA as a kid but saddly I don't remember a darn thing about it. I guess it just didn't leave a strong impression on me like DKC2 did. My taste in games change as I get older so maybe I'll appreciate it more as an adult now.

I'm sure once I start playing I'll probably be like "Ohhhh yyeahh" over and over as memories start coming back. I think it will be a great feeling.

SeashoreWar

Smash Journeyman
So the continue with the crossovers, here's a Zelda Breath of the Wild inspired Dixie! There was Cranky as the old man but that one got messed up :laugh:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
It's been a month and a day since Isabelle's reveal and the last major Smash news in general. The optimism sky-rocketed but with a "drought" of new content it seems things have died down. I guess that's to be expected, so in the meantime I wanna say some things:

1. The community Echo thread is focusing on Pokemon Trainer, which means Diddy's next. So in addition to voting for Echoes for the PT, we have to suggest Echo candidates for Diddy. Obviously Dixie's name is there ("just replace the tail and UpB.." :facepalm:), but there's some surprises, like DK Jr., Tiny Kong, and my favorite: MONFERNO! That honestly sounds cool; Diddy with fire attacks would be a nightmare for everyone else, and as a Diddy main I approve LOL. We should go there and vote for an option other than Dixie (like no viable Echo) or one of the candidates when the time comes. I also have some potential Echoes we can suggest:

Minkey, those pr*cks from DKC3 that throw nuts at you. They're blank slates and "Diddy-sized" plus they throw nuts, so the Neutral Special shouldn't be a problem.
Parrty Monkey/Ninjape, from Jungle Beat. The Party Monkeys are the good guys while the Ninjapes are evil. "Diddy-sized" and They throw shurikens (Neutral B) have tails (so we don't need to worry about the jab) and they're fond of using contraptions (so a Jungle Beat-styled Jet Barrel isn't implausible). Plus since they're monkeys that means Diddy's Side B and other monkey shenanigans are right at home on them. Plus they're voiced by the same guy who does Diddy's voice in the new DKCs.

2. It's taken 3 weeks, but I've added SeashoreWar SeashoreWar 's ganart to the OP! Sorry for the extended delay, but it's there now, also your BoTW Dixie is your best illustration thus far! keep up the good work, especially when it comes to color!

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I beat DKC3. I got the whole 103% shebang and everything.

Verdict: it's definitely a good game, but everyone is right when calling it the weakest of the original trilogy. The biggest reason is that there are way too many gimmick levels where you aren't doing traditional platforming. Even the very last normal level you unlock has its own unique mechanics. Only 4 bosses use Dixie and Kiddy's regular gameplay (5 of you count Knautilus), as the others use Ellie, Enguarde, and snowball throwing minigame that's a boss version of one of the Swanky minigames. So in terms of gameplay it isn't focused very much.

Atmosphere, however, is the game's strongest suit. It's relaxing and non serious, a welcome departure from the urgency and intimidation of DKC2. It's most likely why it's easier than the previous two DKC games. While you could argue the water is overplayed, it's arguably symbolic of the game's mission to present a calm experience. While I wish the game had stronger melodies, it too just wants you to kick back and enjoy the scenery.

Here's how I'd rank it among the DKC games:
  1. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
  2. Donkey Kong Country Returns
  3. Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest
  4. Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat
  5. Donkey Kong Country
  6. Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble
  7. Donkey Kong 64
It's at the bottom of the traditional platformers, yeah. But this doesn't make it a bad game by any means. If you're up for a nice, relaxing game to 10(0/3)%, DKC3 is good fun. Honestly? Out of all 3 original Country games, DKC3 is bar none the most beautiful looking. When it comes to rendering realistic graphics on the SNES, I don't think any other game comes close. It has value so don't miss out on it.

And I think it's better than the miserable slog of DK 64. Not throwing shade at anyone who loves that game, but I couldn't stand all the collecting after a while, and 101%-ing that game was one of the most grueling and joyless things I'd ever done. To me, it's all personality and no fun. It also has zero platforming, which is mind boggling for a Donkey Kong game. So yeah, DKC3 is a good game, way better than DK 64, for me at least.

To end on a more positive note, this game gave me an idea for Dixie Kong's entrance animation should she get in Smash (and it isn't just popping out of a barrel like DK and Diddy): she's carried onto the stage by a flock of Banana Birds, or perhaps by one of Funky's vehicles (probably the hovercraft and not the gyrocopter since the former is on the box art of DKC3). Also her up special can be her summoning Kiddy Kong to throw her upwards, like the Ice Climbers' Belay, but without having to worry about whether or not Kiddy Kong lives because who would care Kiddy doesn't follow her around the whole match. Her double jump could instead function like Peach's float, where she twirls around to float up, but descends gradually afterwards instead of floats. This would give Dixie a great recovery, which is what she's known for anyway, as that's why she became so popular in the first place and in Tropical Freeze. I also think that Dixie has a couple of choices for her Final Smash: either she throws Kiddy onto them, who slams the opponent like in DKC3, or she could summon the Banana Bird Queen to drop an eggshell on the opponent. What do you all think?

Last edited:

Strong DK

Smash Apprentice
I beat DKC3. I got the whole 103% shebang and everything.

Verdict: it's definitely a good game, but everyone is right when calling it the weakest of the original trilogy. The biggest reason is that there are way too many gimmick levels where you aren't doing traditional platforming. Even the very last normal level you unlock has its own unique mechanics. Only 4 bosses use Dixie and Kiddy's regular gameplay (5 of you count Knautilus), as the others use Ellie, Enguarde, and snowball throwing minigame that's a boss version of one of the Swanky minigames. So in terms of gameplay it isn't focused very much.

Atmosphere, however, is the game's strongest suit. It's relaxing and non serious, a welcome departure from the urgency and intimidation of DKC2. It's most likely why it's easier than the previous two DKC games. While you could argue the water is overplayed, it's arguably symbolic of the game's mission to present a calm experience. While I wish the game had stronger melodies, it too just wants you to kick back and enjoy the scenery.

Here's how I'd rank it among the DKC games:
  1. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
  2. Donkey Kong Country Returns
  3. Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest
  4. Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat
  5. Donkey Kong Country
  6. Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble
  7. Donkey Kong 64
It's at the bottom of the traditional platformers, yeah. But this doesn't make it a bad game by any means. If you're up for a nice, relaxing game to 10(0/3)%, DKC3 is good fun. Honestly? Out of all 3 original Country games, DKC3 is bar none the most beautiful looking. When it comes to rendering realistic graphics on the SNES, I don't think any other game comes close. It has value so don't miss out on it.

And I think it's better than the miserable slog of DK 64. Not throwing shade at anyone who loves that game, but I couldn't stand all the collecting after a while, and 101%-ing that game was one of the most grueling and joyless things I'd ever done. To me, it's all personality and no fun. It also has zero platforming, which is mind boggling for a Donkey Kong game. So yeah, DKC3 is a good game, way better than DK 64, for me at least.

To end on a more positive note, this game gave me an idea for Dixie Kong's entrance animation should she get in Smash (and it isn't just popping out of a barrel like DK and Diddy): she's carried onto the stage by a flock of Banana Birds, or perhaps by one of Funky's vehicles (probably the hovercraft and not the gyrocopter since the former is on the box art of DKC3). Also her up special can be her summoning Kiddy Kong to throw her upwards, like the Ice Climbers' Belay, but without having to worry about whether or not Kiddy Kong lives because who would care Kiddy doesn't follow her around the whole match. Her double jump could instead function like Peach's float, where she twirls around to float up, but descends gradually afterwards instead of floats. This would give Dixie a great recovery, which is what she's known for anyway, as that's why she became so popular in the first place and in Tropical Freeze. I also think that Dixie has a couple of choices for her Final Smash: either she throws Kiddy onto them, who slams the opponent like in DKC3, or she could summon the Banana Bird Queen to drop an eggshell on the opponent. What do you all think?
BBQ with eggs please

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
As I have said before, DKC3 is my personal second favorite to the trilogy. I think its gameplay is easily much more polished than the first DKC, and I enjoy the animal buddies in DKC3 far more than in DKC1. DKC3 might have the tightest game design of the entire trilogy in my opinion. The weak points I feel for DKC3 are the atmosphere and music, which I think DKC1 easily trounces it on. However, in terms of an actual game, I enjoy DKC3 a lot more. It is really underrated, and it gets a lot more flak than it deserves (the same is true for Kirby's Dream Land 3, another post-N64 SNES title).

DKC3 did a lot to make me a fan of Dixie Kong, and it helped give her spotlight as an independent protagonist as opposed to just being Diddy Kong's sidekick. I have very fond memories of playing through DKC3 for the first time in 1997. In general, the SNES was a console I would continue to play even as newer consoles were introduced. Kirby's Dream Land 3 was a favorite of mine in 1998, and I got Super Castlevania IV, Wario's Woods, F-Zero, and Star Fox all around 1999-2001.

Going back on topic, it was DKC3 that cemented Dixie Kong as my favorite of the three main Kongs. I even ordered a figurine of her from the Nintendo Power catalog in 1996. It was one of my favorite childhood toys, considering how few gaming merchandise there was back then, especially of anything outside of Mario and Sonic.

Last edited:

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Imagine a DKC3 that had only had you play as Dixie Kong and extended her abilities and made use of her ponytail hair flying for level design.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
^i think having a streamlined experience like that could allow for some really interesting possibilities

on the other end of the spectrum, what about a game where you could switch between DK, Diddy, or Dixie, a la Sonic Heroes, and use each of their unique abilities? might be a little hectic/convoluted but possibly interesting

Last edited:

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
^i think having a streamlined experience like that could allow for some really interesting possibilities

on the other end of the spectrum, what about a game where you could switch between DK, Diddy, or Dixie, a la Sonic Heroes, and use each of their unique abilities? might be a little hectic/convoluted but possibly interesting
Funny enough a scene from my head imaged her carrying Dk and Diddy in the flying formation.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133

Donkey Kong Heroes!

Team Donkey: Speed - Diddy, Power - DK, Flight - Dixie

Team Cranky: Speed - Cranky, Power - Funky, Flight - Wrinkly

Team Tiny: Speed - Lanky, Power - Chunky, Flight - Tiny

Team Candy: Speed - Swanky, Power - Kiddy, Flight - Candy??? (I guess she could use Squawks or a rocket barrel to fly).

Yes you have to play through the entire game 4 times to unlock the true final K.Rool battle.

Last edited:

Ed-boy

Smash Journeyman
Donkey Kong Heroes!

Team Donkey: Speed - Diddy, Power - DK, Flight - Dixie

Team Cranky: Speed - Cranky, Power - Funky, Flight - Wrinkly

Team Tiny: Speed - Lanky, Power - Chunky, Flight - Tiny

Team Candy: Speed - Swanky, Power - Kiddy, Flight - Candy??? (I guess she could use Squawks or a rocket barrel to fly).

Yes you have to play through the entire game 4 times to unlock the true final K.Rool battle.

yes.

Last edited:

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
I don't like it tbh. Looks too Disney like and realistic. I much prefer the toony designs of what we ended up with. I do think it's interesting though to think of what a Dixie with just "one" type of hair would look like. Like make all her hair blonde.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I don't like it tbh. Looks too Disney like and realistic. I much prefer the toony designs of what we ended up with. I do think it's interesting though to think of what a Dixie with just "one" type of hair would look like. Like make all her hair blonde.
I see where you're coming from. He did a Crash Bandicoot redesign a good while back and I honestly didn't like it as it felt disney-fied. Looking at his vids he tends to prefer that 'clasical' style, which is nice in some ways but it doesn't always impress me. I'm glad he explained himself prior to starting though, cuz I could tell he's a big fan of DK in general and it's refreshing to see his redesign didn't come from a hostile place.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Yeah, I just prefer the "goofier" designs we ended up with. I think this video is what the Kongs would look like if they made a cameo in a Tarzan movie. Which is fine, it works in Tarzan, but I feel like the "goofiness" of the characters was completely taken away here. The result is something I think actually more ordinary than what we actually have. Like you said, I think the art style is very "classical" and I'm not sure that fits the feel of the DK series.

I think the actual Kong design is bolder and riskier, more striking and memorable, although that also leads to some people absolutely hating it. I have read some people that can't "stand" Rare's DK designs, including Dixie. But I love them! Most of them.

I think these Kong designs would please some of the people that despise the Rare DK designs but overall I think if the Kongs looked like that, they would also fail to stand out among the many other animal characters that look like that.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
Hello everyone! I'm gonna start by saying I'm not a Dixie fan... since I've never played as her. Never had DK Country 2 or 3, never had Tropical Freeze. So I only know her by reputation.

When we learned about Echoes, I thought there was no way Dixie would be a Diddy's Echo. Then I read the famous "change her up-B" and I thought why not... Then I read other arguments and now I think a semi-clone would suit her best... But why do I know?

Anyway, I don't really know Dixie, but she's one of the few characters that, I my opinion, should be in, not because I want to play them, but because it feels wrong that they are not there. The DK crew is big, and yet porly represented in Smash, that should change.

So add me to the support list, please?

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
hey welcome to the thread! you probably dont need anyone to tell you this but dkc2 is totally worth playing

Lenidem

Smash Lord
I know, been reading you all for a while! I'm on a trip and have no idea when I will come home and have the opportunity to play... but I bought it just before I left. ;)

Marcello691

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 0035 6389 6608
Front page competition is fierce, huh? Anyway I have some vids to share. The first is a redesign of the Kongs.
https://youtu.be/9rgb0WIjU9U

I like the direction he took with them, particularly Dixie and DK.
Please no!
That's just terrible, I hope Nintendo will never take that direction, it looks too generic and boring, like from a cheap kids television show.
I think as a DK fan he could do it much better.

One of the reasons I love the dk series is because I really like how rare designed the dk crew and the kremlins! And I don't know anyone who said that they don't like the dk franchise because of the designs to be honest, there are mostly other reasons.
I think Nintendo could do a great Job in creating new Kongs or redesigning the dk crew as I really liked the art style of jungle beat. But before anyone creates new Kongs, I would like Nintendo to bring back Lanky, Tiny and the others...

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Front page competition is fierce, huh? Anyway I have some vids to share. The first is a redesign of the Kongs.
https://youtu.be/9rgb0WIjU9U

I like the direction he took with them, particularly Dixie and DK.
I agree on Dixie and DK for sure. I always thought it was weird that Dixie has a weird blonde ponytail on her brown fur and that DK had hair around his eyes, then those fleshy ridges around them. For DK, the artist make the area around his eyes more consistently flesh, which to me looks a bit better.

Also if it wasn't clear the guy drawing this stated multiple times that he's not using these redesigns to compete with Nintendo, he's just presenting an alternate take. As someone else in the comments mentioned, these designs feel like they would fit in an alternate universe where the DK series was a semi-serious adventure TV show. Nobody needs to call this awful!

Also, if, for whatever reason, Nintendo decides to bring back Candy Kong, then they should redesign her to look similar to DK like this artist did with Cranky. I don't like Candy's weird disturbing humanoid figure at all.

Ed-boy

Smash Journeyman
^Ditto on DK & Dixie's designs. She'd look great with the same type of fur coloration as the intro scene to TF:
Just beautiful. It gives off the notion that her hair is a natural extension of her fur. It's more believable, don't ya think?

Now DK's raccoon mask never bothered me, it's a nice little detail that makes him stand out more. What does bother me is that big fleshy brow! it's so hard to draw right! There was even a point in time that I drew him with eyebrows similar to the artwork from DK 94'
(I'd show you guys one of my drawings, but I gotta figure out how to upload em' to my PC. I'm also kinda busy with some art projects atm.)

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
i dig the blonder fur on dixie, i think it helps balance her palette out. dixie has more colors going on than other kongs and some of her designs balance the colors better than others. in rare's design her ponytail was a less-saturated shade of yellow, so her pink clothes were the eyecatch. in some of her more modern renders, her hair is a more saturated, cartoony shade of yellow, and it clashes a bit with her brown fur.

dk and diddy vaguely resemble the tropical freeze prerendered cutscene designs in ultimate (at least i kinda think they do), so maybe if dixie was in she would have a design kinda like this too.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
^Ditto on DK & Dixie's designs. She'd look great with the same type of fur coloration as the intro scene to TF:
Just beautiful. It gives off the notion that her hair is a natural extension of her fur. It's more believable, don't ya think?

Now DK's raccoon mask never bothered me, it's a nice little detail that makes him stand out more. What does bother me is that big fleshy brow! it's so hard to draw right! There was even a point in time that I drew him with eyebrows similar to the artwork from DK 94'
(I'd show you guys one of my drawings, but I gotta figure out how to upload em' to my PC. I'm also kinda busy with some art projects atm.)
In the event that Dixie is added to Smash, I really hope she has golden-brown fur.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Man this drought of info is KILLING me. There is nothing to speculate on and their are no juicy credible leaks to pick apart. It's literally a dry spell..While I expect the next/last Smash Direct to take place November 2nd it's gonna SUCK to have to wait that long for new info and to see whether or not Dixie is in the game. I feel like pulling an Eric Cartman and freezing myself until December 7th...

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Man this drought of info is KILLING me. There is nothing to speculate on and their are no juicy credible leaks to pick apart. It's literally a dry spell..While I expect the next/last Smash Direct to take place November 2nd it's gonna SUCK to have to wait that long for new info and to see whether or not Dixie is in the game. I feel like pulling an Eric Cartman and freezing myself until December 7th...
Head to the General Discussion thread. Something big is brewing.

DeniroSerafim

Smash Apprentice
Man, I really just want Dixie to be confirmed already. Not saying I think this is likely, but how cool would it be if she got a stage based on DKC3? Imagine the main part of the stage being the hovercraft, and that it travels all around the overworld of the Northern Kremisphere, seeing that in HD fully realized in 3D would be amazing.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Keep an eye on the Community Echo Thread everyone. Diddy's turn is today but they're having some technical difficulties.
I think Nintendo could do a great Job in creating new Kongs or redesigning the dk crew as I really liked the art style of jungle beat. But before anyone creates new Kongs, I would like Nintendo to bring back Lanky, Tiny and the others...
Yea I was looking at Ninja and Karate Kong the other day and I gotta admit those are the most badass Kong designs throughout all the DK games. It would be nice to see those 2 again, as well as new Kongs with a style like that.

I like this Dixie coloring as well. My pet peeve with Dixie's look in general was that she looks like she's wearing a wig, but in Tropical Freeze that golden brown look makes he ponytail far more believable. I hope they keep that going forward.
Also, if, for whatever reason, Nintendo decides to bring back Candy Kong, then they should redesign her to look similar to DK like this artist did with Cranky. I don't like Candy's weird disturbing humanoid figure at all.
Have you seen Juliusaurus Juliusaurus 's Candy Kong redesign? It's freakin amazing!! I really would love to see her like that from now on.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Dixie needs to be the next reveal so she can be the dixième newcomer.

Top Bottom