• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

Gobliiin

Smash Apprentice
Also with his comments about leaks ruining surprises I think they went all out with the 'big' reveals in august. Obviously we'll soon see but I still think Dixie is still sitting pretty comfortably as being a potential character there's nothing really pointing to ruling her out atm.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
The last characters revealed for brawl and smash 4 were olimar and shulk, I don't think they really reveal characters like that tbh
Actually it was Wolf and Duck Hunt if we're splitting hairs, as they were the last reveals overall. But Olimar and Shulk were the last before launch, as Wolf and DH (among others) were hidden fighters that were supposed to be secret until unlocked in the game itself, but thanks to the internet they were found within 24 hours of release/leaked by the ESRB.

Ultimate is unique because Sakurai has openly admitted that he's showing everyone off before release and leaving none of them an unlockable secret, so we really can't formulate any kind of pattern anyway in regards to "hype reveals" because the situation is different.

Also Olimar and Shulk were pretty hype, I thought. So were Duck Hunt and Wolf.

But regardless, I feel as though everyone judges how "hype" a character is based off of the scale of their expectations due to community speculation and other factors, but they always forget that Sakurai treats basically every character equally. He doesn't see "hype" the way a lot of people do. To him, Isabelle is just as hype as K Rool and he's shown no evidence to the contrary. We should all stop looking for patterns, because I don't think Sakurai has a hierarchy of any kind. His job is to be as unbiased as possible.

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
That poll should give Funky Kong fans some perspective. Lanky Kong hasn't appeared in anything significant since 1999 but he matches Funky Kong's performance despite Funky Kong getting all that push from Nintendo for the TF Switch port. When DK65 is released and Lanky Kong returns, Lanky Kong will eat Funky Kong alive. The only Kong that I think can stop Lanky would be Dixie. But Lanky, who can be summoned with a single word written in capital letters throughout the internet, is like a sleeping demon waiting to be awakened and take over Smash speculation.
Lanky has always come across as a dormant meme, that I feel will explode at any moment. If we do get Dixie, I can see Lanky dominating the DK newcomer requests. That, though, will be proportional to whether Nintendo uses him.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
I love Lanky but he doesn't need to be in Smash. I'd rather see Lanky in "ARMS 2: Two Arms" if I'm being honest. He's basically Kong version of Lola Pop...

Last edited:

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
Yeah seriously, where can we campaign for the return of Lanky to be in ARMS? I would buy ARMS 2 just for him.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Lanky is like Boba Fett or Geno: He barely did anything, yet we all fondly remember him. Not really me I admit, but most.

Actually, Lanky is, in a vacuum, probably my least favorite Kong. Never really got his appeal and preferred the other 4 Kongs in 64.

Last edited:

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
i think lanky's popularity is almost entirely of the "dank meme" variety. otherwise he'd be about as popular a suggestion as, say, peppy hare.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
i think lanky's popularity is almost entirely of the "dank meme" variety. otherwise he'd be about as popular a suggestion as, say, peppy hare.
The difference though and while I'm a bigger fan of DK than Star Fox AT LEAST Peppy has more appearences under his belt than Lanky. Lanky has only appeared in 2 games, one of which being a spin-off (and not a well received one at that). Where as Peppy is a STAPLE of the Star Fox franchise appearing in every game. Granted I wouldn't mind if either character made it to Smash but Peppy definitely has more going for him than Lanky Kong does.

Anyway back to Dixie Kong. I REALLY want a Dixie Kong amiibo you guys. Like REALLY want one.

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
Oh yeah, me too. The figures seem to be bigger this time around accompanying a slightly higher price, but that's all good with me. I'm not an amiibo guy anymore, but that K Rool one will be mine.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Anyway back to Dixie Kong. I REALLY want a Dixie Kong amiibo you guys. Like REALLY want one.
I certainly hope so too. Wonder which character I'll put her next to if so... I really hope there'll be more pleasant surprises for me in the way to fill in that question.

Until then, Richter shall do.

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
He probably would, I just have a hard time imagining it. Hell, I have a hard time WATCHING it in Tropical Freeze. Seeing Cranky do things besides sit around his house and hilariously trash talk everyone is strange to me. He's like Mr. Resetti. His charm is in his abrasiveness more than him actually DOING anything. That's how I've always seen it.
Personally I like the new active role Cranky has. It's always fun to have that old man character who talks trash but can surprisingly back it up. Now I put Cranky in the same category as Master Roshi, King Bumi and Dr. Nefarious.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Add me to the list of Dixie Kong supporters. Many of Diddy's attacks are two hits, while Dixie's can be just one long disjointed attack with her ponytail. Maybe we can treat Dixie's ponytail like a whip and give the tip a sweet spot. Semi-clone or unique is fine by me, I'd be as disappointed as Dark Samus fans if DIxie was an Echo Fighter.

This reminds me that I still need to give DKC3 a shot. It's technically her only real starring role but it's the one main series DK game I haven't gotten around to yet. All I know is that Dixie's Final Smash can be a combination attack with Kiddy Kong.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
I think one thing keeping Cranky back from exploding in popularity is, well besides Dixie not being in yet, is that I think that he has been made a little too "nice" in the Retro games. He still has some grumpy animations but I think they need to make him even grumpier. Maybe a sarcastic smile at times. But he's a bit too smiley in Tropical Freeze.

I think if they go "full ham" on Cranky's crankiness, his support would have more of that "fever" quality other characters have and that I think Lanky has the potential to have.

Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I wish DKC2 and 3 were on the Super NES Classic, but only the first game is on there (I already played it as a kid on the Game Boy Color). I ended up playing DKC2 on the Wii U VC, but I don't wanna lug out my Wii U from storage. I guess I'll get it for my New 3DS XL.

Crepuscular

Smash Rookie
I know that we still haven't seen Diddy Kong as a featured blog character yet, but am I correct that we've also still not seen:

- his final smash
- his pink and yellow (probably Dixie-inspired) alt colors
- definitive proof that he still uses his tail in any attack

?

Just curious as I haven't been following news super closely lately. Don't get me wrong, I'm still hoping for Dixie as a full newcomer or at least an Isabelle-level newcomer, but as we get closer and closer to release date it's getting increasingly weird to me that we have seen virtually nothing of Diddy. I mean people came up with these questions about him immediately during the E3 show and it's been 4 months since then with radio silence.

I'll be really sad if Dixie isn't a playable fighter, but if we go another game with ZERO Dixie representation whatsoever even though this game entered production right after Tropical Freeze came out....I mean that's just beyond baffling. Like it'd be a bummer if Dixie is just part of Diddy's new final smash (or an assist trophy, or whatever) but at least that would be the Smash team acknowledging that she exists, you know?

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
I know that we still haven't seen Diddy Kong as a featured blog character yet, but am I correct that we've also still not seen:

- his final smash
- his pink and yellow (probably Dixie-inspired) alt colors
- definitive proof that he still uses his tail in any attack

?

Just curious as I haven't been following news super closely lately. Don't get me wrong, I'm still hoping for Dixie as a full newcomer or at least an Isabelle-level newcomer, but as we get closer and closer to release date it's getting increasingly weird to me that we have seen virtually nothing of Diddy. I mean people came up with these questions about him immediately during the E3 show and it's been 4 months since then with radio silence.

I'll be really sad if Dixie isn't a playable fighter, but if we go another game with ZERO Dixie representation whatsoever even though this game entered production right after Tropical Freeze came out....I mean that's just beyond baffling. Like it'd be a bummer if Dixie is just part of Diddy's new final smash (or an assist trophy, or whatever) but at least that would be the Smash team acknowledging that she exists, you know?
That's been somewhat puzzling for me as well regarding more information about Diddy in Ultimate but I don't want to believe any red herrings that may relate to Dixie's presence in Ultimate cause theories can be broken when it's officially announced. I'm just going to keep hoping for the best which is probably the only thing we can do for now.

Also there's still some characters that are low on new information on them in Ultimate so he's not alone.

Last edited:

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
The less we see of Diddy, the more we get to see of him later on!

I think I'll play a lot more of Diddy this time around. I've always taken our Donkey Kong characters for granted, but never again.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
i gave diddy an honest shot in smash 4 for a few weeks but i just dont like his moveset. i know he's supposed to be a fast combo-centric character with low damage and knockback like sheik and pikachu, and that he's still very good competitively, but it felt like his limbs were made of pool noodles or something. it just wasn't satisfying to hit people, and it felt like his combos always reset to neutral instead of getting my opponent into a good position for edgeguarding or whatever.

its something i worry about if dixie is partially based on him, that i wont enjoy playing as her if she feels the same way. but im probably worrying for nothing. ultimate's not even the same game.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
i gave diddy an honest shot in smash 4 for a few weeks but i just dont like his moveset. i know he's supposed to be a fast combo-centric character with low damage and knockback like sheik and pikachu, and that he's still very good competitively, but it felt like his limbs were made of pool noodles or something. it just wasn't satisfying to hit people, and it felt like his combos always reset to neutral instead of getting my opponent into a good position for edgeguarding or whatever.

its something i worry about if dixie is partially based on him, that i wont enjoy playing as her if she feels the same way. but im probably worrying for nothing. ultimate's not even the same game.
Agreed on this, I hate diddy's playstyle and it isn't intuitive to me at all, god forbid if Dixie is somehow an echo and I have to deal with that just to play as my girl, the moveset wouldn't even feel natural on her to begin with.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
King K Rool is shooting Diddy and DK. Pow. Pow. Pow. K. Rool bites the air as he does in Smash Bros for some reason in triumph.

Then the camera zooms into a finger wagging no.
It is a gorilla hand.

Dixie doesn't hair what you say! into battle.

Dixie's moveset is showed off including trapping opponents in bubble gum and flying with her ponytail.
Her final Smash involves pulling out a barrel from her hair and getting inside it, transforming her into Ellie the Elephant from DKC3! She stampedes into opponents.

The trailer ends with Dixie headbanging like a metal fan because she beat up K. Rool.
An extra in-game cutscene at the end shows Pikachu and Pichu approaching while Dixie is transformed. When Pikachu and Pichu get close enough, Ellie/Dixie runs in the opposite direction, running straight off the stage and self-destructing. Fade to black.

(C) Nintendo/GameFreak/Square-Enix etc.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I think one thing keeping Cranky back from exploding in popularity is, well besides Dixie not being in yet, is that I think that he has been made a little too "nice" in the Retro games. He still has some grumpy animations but I think they need to make him even grumpier. Maybe a sarcastic smile at times. But he's a bit too smiley in Tropical Freeze.

I think if they go "full ham" on Cranky's crankiness, his support would have more of that "fever" quality other characters have and that I think Lanky has the potential to have.
I definitely agree with you. Take the grumpiness of the old days up to 11 and fuse it with his activeness in Tropical Freeze and we'll have an amazingly badass Kong. He'll berate people about how unskilled they are and then show us all how it's done.

TheYungLink TheYungLink is now a member of the Barrel.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Yep. I definitely think they could do Cranky better. Funky on the other hand, they captured perfectly. And I think the response to his character has been very positive. You can definitely sense a "fever" for Funky Kong that you don't see for Cranky at all even though I think Cranky has the potential.

I also would like to see something in the DK series that is the equivalent of what Pauline got in Mario Odyssey. I would like to see Cranky's history acknowledged directly, extravagantly, and in a way that celebrates that legacy. Maybe K. Rool kidnaps him, puts a collar on him, and that collar makes him go "wild" and turns him into a 3D version of the original DK sprite. A modern day boss battle with the original DK vs the modern Kongs. It doesn't have to be that but I think there is great potential in pushing the DK characters, their histories, and their personalities in a way that puts them all on parade unabashedly. Cranky especially!

Mr Blargh

Smash Rookie
I honestly am still holding on to the fact that Diddy had the alternate Dixie Kong color scheme in Smash 4 as evidence to her potentially making it in. If she's not in the base roster, I could totally see her being DLC because we already got King K Rool as a DKC rep. (If she were to be unique or semi-clone.) If she's an echo, then I think she'd be in the base roster. I just personally don't know how I would handle her not making it in at all...all signs point to her inclusion.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
If the K. Rool fanbase proved anything is that making noise and being vocal matters. If all that concentrated effort was applied to K. Rool until it worked and SOMEHOW we still don't have Dixie in this game, I fully hope she rises to be the next K. Rool in terms of fan demand for DLC.

I'd be annoyed if a character like Dixie, with her name in the title of a highly successful sequel to a highly successful and culturally significant franchise and with a recent game both when this Smash was being conceived and literally this year, fails to make it into this game because of not having as much fan traction as others.

tl;dr if another direct or character reveal goes by and still no Dixie, I feel it'd be time to start getting loud to ensure there's some hope for DLC.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
I know it means nothing whatsoever, but Dixie wasn't even included in the recent Reddit poll that pit potential newcomers against each other in a tourney-style bracket. It had pretty much every other big hitter like Isaac, Geno, Shantae, BWD, Banjo-Kazooie etc and even some odd ones like Sceptile and Doomguy, but she wasn't even considered. Kind of disappointing, I wanted to see how she stacked against everyone, and the poll ended up with over 50,000 votes.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
They did consider her. But for some reason, they decided to put her in the echo bracket and allowed for nobody to vote for a unique Dixie. Flawed methodology.

I don't hair what they say!! the competition.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
They did consider her. But for some reason, they decided to put her in the echo bracket and allowed for nobody to vote for a unique Dixie. Flawed methodology.

I don't hair what they say!! the competition.
Yeah the Isaac thread filled me in on that.

Do you guys think that we may be fighting a losing uphill battle trying to resist Echo condemnation? Because it sure does feel that way sometimes.

I mean, like Isabelle, it will just make it all that much sweeter when she's got her own number, but part of me wants to resign on trying to change everyone's minds about it. You don't change the world overnight and all that.

All that matters is that based Sakurai recognizes the potential.

Also Dixie lost to Funky by a rather large amount on the Echo thread. I find that confusing but Funky IS a cool dude so I suppose I can't be upset. Shadow won, of course. But did he win because they want him, or because they expect him?

Last edited:

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
^yeah it bugs me a little bit that everybody only considers dixie as an echo, especially the "just slap DK's up B on diddy and call it a day" sentiment, but at the end of the day, it only matters what the dev team thinks.

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
Don't worry, fellas. I participated in that bracket, and I can fill you in as well as set the record straight about Dixie's perception in this context.

Including Dixie in the echo bracket was a decision that the poll master made without really thinking, and he regretted it very soon after. Many people disagreed strongly with this decision, and as a result, Dixie did rather poorly on the bracket compared to her true potential--it's the reason she lost to Funky, for sure. The people on Reddit wanted her to have a unique moveset, so they voted against her in the Echo bracket.

The poll master has stated, today in fact, that he will likely make another bracket once the game is released for DLC speculation. This time however, Dixie will be among the Newcomers. I hope I've set some minds at ease here--we are not fighting an uphill battle.

Last edited:

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
They call me echo
But they don't know me
The way You know me
How I twirl with my hair like a helicopter
How I grab things with my hair and need a chiropractor
Psyche
Cuz if life is too heavy for you it won't be for me
Cause I can use my ponytail hair for free, free, free
And shoot my gumballs at you and make you sticky
And after all that you'll feel icky
And you wont' call me echo
Won't call me echo no more.

Dixie Kong Blues

Last edited:

Gobliiin

Smash Apprentice
Do you guys think that we may be fighting a losing uphill battle trying to resist Echo condemnation? Because it sure does feel that way sometimes.

I mean, like Isabelle, it will just make it all that much sweeter when she's got her own number, but part of me wants to resign on trying to change everyone's minds about it. You don't change the world overnight and all that.

If people started to come round to K. Rool in the end and he got in, I'm sure they could accept unique Dixie and she can make it too. Especially seeing as she almost did in Brawl.

That was a massive oversight in poll. I really hope we don't get Funky over Dixie though. I don't get why nintendo have pushed him in everything. If he's in after Dixie then it will be fine.

Last edited:

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord

If people started to come round to K. Rool in the end and he got in, I'm sure they could accept unique Dixie and she can make it too. Especially seeing as she almost did in Brawl.

That was a massive oversight in poll. I really hope we don't get Funky over Dixie though. I don't get why nintendo have pushed him in everything. If he's in after Dixie then it will be fine.
The reason why Funky had more votes cause many diehard fans of Dixie don't want her to be an echo(not to mention Funky Kong actually make sense as an echo but Dixie doesn't since her ponytail shouldn't be ignored), I don't believe that an internet poll is going to decide the current status of characters since the game is coming close to its release.

It should be noted that Isabelle was 4th place and look what happened with her so I don't want to give up, it would be pretty hypocritical to go the extra mile with Isabelle and not Dixie since Dixie was always different from Diddy since the beginning.

Nothing against Isabelle(she was one of my most wanted after all right behind Dixie) but ever since she was relieved as a semi clone has caused me(as well as some others) retroactivity not care for Echoes and wish some of them had became semi clones(especially Dark Samus who also gets a lot of discussion with how she was handled) we just got to wait and see what happens.

Last edited:

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
The poll master has stated, today in fact, that he will likely make another bracket once the game is released for DLC speculation. This time however, Dixie will be among the Newcomers. I hope I've set some minds at ease here--we are not fighting an uphill battle.
If we're lucky the "leaks" are false and there won't be a need to even include Dixie in a future poll due to her being in the game

Luigi player

Smash Master
Dixie as an echo doesn't make any sense and we can be sure that Sakurai knows that. No worries there from me.

Either she makes it in as at least a semi-clone or she doesn't make it.. which is what I'm scared of the most about her.

But there's still hope. And if she isn't somehow disconfirmed she could still maybe make it as DLC. At least the hope would die last..

Now that the box-theory got put down a little by the downloadcode-card I have more hope again for at least a few more characters. Maybe 4-5. Maybe she does actually make it - who knows. It's still possible. Sakurai wouldn't forget about her and she's important enough to get a role. If she doesn't she'll probably be thought about/held off for DLC later...

CaptainMapleSyrup

Smash Cadet
^yeah it bugs me a little bit that everybody only considers dixie as an echo, especially the "just slap DK's up B on diddy and call it a day" sentiment
Okay, hi, I was the one who actually used that sentiment in this thread *waves* people like to refer to me quoting it but no one actually engaged me in a discussion about it - that’s kind of what a forum’s for in the first place.

I will admit, it was an ignorant initial comment to make in this thread and didn’t give due respect to all the hard work that many of you have put into building unique movesets for Dixie that present her with her own distinct character, personality and playstyle and I’m sorry for that but you know what happened in my subsequent posts after I read what people had to say? I learned, I contributed ideas, my opinion changed and I discovered that the amount of differences I wanted for Dixie really did count her as a unique character. So you know what? You’re fighting the good fight here guys - don’t give up. Change more opinions like mine. As you say, the dev's will do what they want at the end of the day but they have shown responsiveness to the opinions of the fanbase so you are making a difference, even if it is just one fan at a time.

If it helps, here are a couple of motivational/inspirational videos that I found useful:

Do it for her - Dixie's worth it!

Last edited:

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Not trying to be a hater, but that title. Tom Nook is for sure an All-star too, I think you can make an argument for quite a few more

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

Limbs of pool noodles? Ever hit someone with a Forward Air or Forward Smash? Diddy plays intensively satisfying for me because of those moves. He can even KO with Up Tilt. Up Smash and Forward Smash also being very reliable kill moves. You can build up damage very easily, especially compared to Sheik and Pikachu, who need far more hits to do the same amount of damage Diddy can do. You can also spike people very nasty with Down Air, chain up to 4 Back Airs from a grab, do good damage and knockback with the Monkey Flip Kick, and of course the Banana shenanigans which deepen Diddy's playstyle. He's just overall a very fun and satisfying character to me, but it does take quite a bit to get real good with him. Which is worth the investment if you ask me.

Top Bottom