• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

cybersai

Smash Ace
I just hope Dixie gets in now because I'll be pushing 40 by the time the next Smash comes out. Who knows where I'll be 5-7 years from now

Marcello691

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 0035 6389 6608
Can we just get the fabled Donkey Kong Racing on the switch?
I would love that!
I wonder how Rare's successor to DK64 would have looked like. To be honest, I thought we would get an announcement regarding DK's 25th anniversary next year in the last direct.

Anyone else who thinks next year should be the year of Donkey Kong? I mean if even Luigi and Kirby got that treatment, why not DK?
I'm referring to the DKC series by the way, as the original DK is much older and Nintendo ignored that all the years, so I don't think the arcade series is going to be celebrated.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I would love that!
I wonder how Rare's successor to DK64 would have looked like. To be honest, I thought we would get an announcement regarding DK's 25th anniversary next year in the last direct.

Anyone else who thinks next year should be the year of Donkey Kong? I mean if even Luigi and Kirby got that treatment, why not DK?
I'm referring to the DKC series by the way, as the original DK is much older and Nintendo ignored that all the years, so I don't think the arcade series is going to be celebrated.
You forget New Donk City from Super Mario Odyssey. That had several references to the original arcade Donkey Kong. The Grand Festival in particular had barrels rolling at you and DK himself at the end.

Marcello691

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 0035 6389 6608
You forget New Donk City from Super Mario Odyssey. That had several references to the original arcade Donkey Kong. The Grand Festival in particular had barrels rolling at you and DK himself at the end.

Yeah, I know that, I played the game. That was really amazing!
I meant that they never celebrated the DK series with an anniversary year, neither the arcade classic nor the modern dk series.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I just hope Dixie gets in now because I'll be pushing 40 by the time the next Smash comes out. Who knows where I'll be 5-7 years from now
I will probably be dead in that span of time, for reasons that are not to be said in an internet forums such as this. So this is likely my last chance to play as Dixie in Smash. :073: I truly hope she is playable. :069:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Dixie is the last truly deserving character that I would like to see in Smash. Been playing since 64, and hoping for Diddy/Dixie/K. Rool since Melee was announced. This may be the last Smash game I actively follow. I already think my gaming years are mostly done, and Smash in general is geared to a different audience nowadays.

Crossing my fingers.
I feel exactly the same way. I was not even planning on following this Smash Bros. game that much. I had basically retired from speculation after the June 2015 Smash 4 DLC update (where Lucas, Roy, and Ryu got released). I thought Ridley was likely never going to happen at that point (due to Sakurai's own statements in November 2014), and I thought Roy's return was a good ending point for me. I only made two posts on this site after June 2015 (one in the second half of 2015 and only one post in the entirety of 2016). I considered myself done with speculation and I said during the Smash 4 speculation period that I felt that game would be the last game in the series I would follow, regardless of whether the end was satisfactory or not.

When I returned in April 2018, I said I would not be as active this time around, and that my goals would just to be throw my two-cents in for various support topics and to do another iteration of "Ultimate Newcomer Analysis Topic", which has been a tradition since 2007. Really, Ultimate being unveiled only two years after the conclusion of Smash 4 DLC is a big reason why I came back at all.

My expectations were exceeded beyond my wildest expectations with the proper Ultimate unveil at E3 2018. Not only were there no cuts, but every single veteran ever in the history of the series managed to return, even the likes of Pichu and Young Link. We had nearly every stage from Smash 64, Melee, Brawl, and Smash 4 coming back too. And to top it all off, my single most wanted character for the history of the franchise since I started following it, Ridley, was finally confirmed as a newcomer. Ridley! The character whom I thought was possibly de-confirmed forever only three years ago.

While I did not become as active with speculation as I was with the prior periods, my interest was now on par with what it was for prior games in the series. Getting every single veteran to returns plus Ridley was a dream come true. Even though we were told by Sakurai there were only a few more newcomers left, I did not care. I got much more than what I was hoping for. The 8/8 Nintendo Direct further solidified this by giving the Belmonts (Castlevania is among my top 3 favorite non-Nintendo franchises), K. Rool, and Dark Samus (who would have thought this would ever happen six months ago?).

Ultimate truly looks to be living up to its name. However, as pepiux said, there is only a single character left that is dear to me that I feel is still missing. Dixie Kong. She was among my favorite gaming heroes during the 90's (especially the mid 90's). She has always been by far my favorite character for the Donkey Kong series and its a shame she had to wait behind Diddy Kong and K. Rool for so long. Such a shame she had to face such bad luck (she was even planned for Brawl, but never retooled as her own separate character).

Back in 2010, I had written an essay entitled, "Ridley: The Last Nintendo All-Star". Perhaps it was hubris to make such a claim back then (afterall Little Mac certainly had great credentials back then, and you could argue the same for the likes of K. Rool, Dixie Kong, Toad, and possibly Bowser Jr. back then as well). However, with all of those characters now in, the only other ones left that I think could have that moniker is Toad, Waddle Dee (maybe), and of course, the monkey girl with the whirl, Dixie Kong herself.

I am not optimistic on Dixie Kong's prospects right now. I personally believe (I know a lot of you will be very upset at this) that there are only two more fighters on the base roster (Ken and Incineroar), of which a screenshot of the former has already been leaked. What Dixie Kong's fate or role in Ultimate's base game I honestly cannot say. Assist Trophy or an appearance in Diddy Kong's Final Smash are possibilities. However, it could be a case as was in Smash 4, where she has no important NPC role at all in the game.

If that is the case, it could be that she might be a prospect for DLC. However, even becoming DLC would be an uphill battle. Unlike the base roster, Dixie Kong would have to compete with many contemporary characters for slots (ARMS, Rex & Pyrra, Fire Emblem Three Houses Character, Generation 8 Pokemon) as well as the fact that third-party newcomers tend to dominate Smash DLC. Unless Sakurai views Dixie Kong as a cut above the rest, her prospects are looking cloudy for DLC. However, even with clouds, sometimes it does not rain.

If Dixie Kong fails to get in as DLC for Ultimate, I will still be extremely happy with the roster. With the exception of her, I got everything I wanted for the Smash Bros. series. I do not think following the next Smash Bros. game just for Dixie Kong alone would be worth it in my eyes, especially considering the next game is likely to strip much of the content I currently love in Ultimate.

The main theme of Ultimate seems triumphant, but at the same time has a sort of melancholy undertone to it. As though its going to be curtain call for many of the characters that are part of its roster. Sakurai himself that stated that this most likely will be the only opportunity to bring back the entire cast.

Super Smash Bros. has been a franchise extremely dear to me since I first learned of its existence back in January 1999. In many ways, it was a celebration of my love of video games in general. However, like with pepiux, I have been losing interest in video games over the course of this decade. I have a lot less time for them than I did when I was younger and I simply do not have the patience for a lot of different types of games like I used to.

Even though K. Rool has been confirmed, it does not seem like Dixie Kong has exploded in popularity like I expected her. However, even though she does not seem to have legions of passionate supporters, she does seem to have a ton of people like her and thinks she deserves to be in. This topic has more actual supporters than any other character with the exceptions of Isaac and maybe Bandanna Dee.

This was a similar phenomenon back during when I was supporting Roy's return to Smash Bros. There were not many loud and passionate Roy supporters, but he definitely had a ton of people that liked and supported him.

Although the Roy fanbase did not have the screaming legions that many other fanbases had during pre-Smash 4, we were tight knit and determined to see our boy finally make his return.

With the original Smash Bros., I really wanted Metroid to get more recognition and be revived. Samus in particular was one of my favorite gaming heroes. However, unlike all the other gaming heroes I cherished, very few knew about her and Metroid in general. Samus was an underdog. I was always grateful for whatever Samus cameos happened in games (Super Mario RPG, Kirby Super Star, and Kirby's Dream Land 3). However, learning that Samus, would be among seven other characters to represent the very best of Nintendo was extraordinary. Mario, Donkey Kong, Link, Yoshi, Kirby, Fox, and Pikachu were all icons who all had major appearances recently, with only Samus having her last game all the way back in 1994. I learned of Smash Bros.'s existence from a Metroid fansite (Metroid Database) either in December 1998 or January 1999. It was from then on that Smash Bros. became one of my favorite gaming franchises.

Now. Nearly 20 years later. There is another gaming heroine that I wish to see in. Dixie Kong, like Samus in the mid 90's, is facing an uphill battle and does not quite get the recognition she deserves. It would be fitting if Dixie Kong were added in as a newcomer for Ultimate. Samus and Dixie Kong will be bookends for me, Nintendo's first two all-star female heroes.

I am not sure how this is going to end, and as with Roy and his army in the manga scans above, we are facing an uphill battle. Dixie Kong is a character I cherished from childhood, and many others here feel the same. Heck, I even had that large Dixie Kong figurine seen in the screenshot on the last page, and it was among my favorite toys during my childhood (there was very few gaming merchandise during the mid 90's).

In 2.5 months the journey either ends (though either a confirmation or de-confirmation), or we will find ourselves going forward another year and a half (DLC for for Ultimate will probably go on for another year and a half, maybe even two years).

Regardless, Dixie Kong for many is the last character that comes up as a major desire, especially among Smash Bros. fans who grew up during the 90's. She was a pioneer and to this day probably among the most iconic female gaming characters of all time. She was the only main Kong to never have been kidnapped by K. Rool, whereas both DK and Diddy have been captured twice by K. Rool), and for many children, regardless of gender, most wanted to play as her despite her girly girl design. She was just a fun character to play as with a lot of subtle personality.

Dixie Kong is a fantastic character and long overdue for her playable debut in Smash Bros. I hope Sakurai refurbishes his notes on Dixie Kong back during Brawl to at least make developing Dixie Kong easier on him and his team.

Dixie Kong is more than just the last character I would really like to see in Smash Bros., she represents a possible closing chapter for my interest in the Smash Bros. series. Even if she does not become playable in the end, I am still very happy with how Ultimate is appearing to be, and as I said earlier, I am not going to follow another game in the series just for Dixie Kong alone. It is my personal hope that she finally is added in this time around, whether on the base game or as DLC.

Keep it up Dixie Kong fans.

DeniroSerafim

Smash Apprentice
So we're gonna get a Dixie reveal trailer in the next Direct showcasing her and a new Tropical Freeze stage, plus Funky Kong as a DK echo, right guys?

cybersai

Smash Ace
I just want Dixie shown already so I can stop thinking or fretting over her being in Smash or not. I'm tired of months of endless speculation.

Sure I want other characters like Skull Kid, Geno, etc....but as said, Dixie is the last Nintendo all-star. If the others don't get in, I'll be disappointed, but I can understand why. Dixie is just THE most important character not in Smash yet. Makes no sense.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
So you know how Sakurai is unpredictable right? What if we got Swanky Kong as a DK echo? Every leak will finally be proven fake, and the storm on GameFAQs would be absolutely hilarious.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
I wonder if Dixie has a chance to be DLC if she's not in the base game. I feel like her being DLC would be the best option if she is to be unique.

Last edited:

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
I just want Dixie shown already so I can stop thinking or fretting over her being in Smash or not. I'm tired of months of endless speculation.

Sure I want other characters like Skull Kid, Geno, etc....but as said, Dixie is the last Nintendo all-star. If the others don't get in, I'll be disappointed, but I can understand why. Dixie is just THE most important character not in Smash yet. Makes no sense.
Try not to worry so much, it's best to stay confident. It's a much better feeling to think positively, the roster hasn't been shown entirely so it's best to keep you hope up until the end. Keep your head up and stay strong.

Handy Man

Smash Ace

This is exactly how I felt about King K. Rool, it was nice to finally have some closure on his inclusion. I agree that Dixie Kong is the last important character not yet playable in Smash, with Bandana Dee being second to last, and I think it would be odd if Sakurai overlooked one or both characters considering their relevance and importance to their series. Dixie Kong especially deserves to be playable, she has been an important protagonist since the SNES days, and it would be a crime if she was overlooked again after all this time. We have been waiting for Ultimate since March of this year. Over six months have passed since then, and we're nearing only two months to go. I feel pretty good about Dixie Kong's chances, I can see her being DLC but I think it would make more sense for Dixie to be a part of the main game's roster. She's too important to be regulated as an extra character you need to purchase in my opinion. I think we'll find out if she's in the game or not sooner rather than later.

PrincessToadstool

Smash Cadet
I can definitely relate to everyone who can't stop thinking about Dixie getting in or not! Dixie is one of my top 5 picks, and I personally think she deserves to be in the game more than anyone, and I'm praying she finally gets her chance. I've been waiting for Dixie to appear in Smash for a long time myself, and she's been a pick I've been waiting for since early Brawl days, and it will be such a celebratory moment if she gets her chance. I was the happiest person in the world when I saw my #1 pick (Daisy) since I was young, and I know if I see Dixie it'll be just as big of a moment because Daisy & Dixie have both been characters that have been so important in my life since I was young. Go Dixie!!!

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I wonder if Dixie has a chance to be DLC if she's not in the base game. I feel like her being DLC would be the best option if she is to be unique.
I hope that's the case.

Try not to worry so much, it's best to stay confident. It's a much better feeling to think positively, the roster hasn't been shown entirely so it's best to keep you hope up until the end. Keep your head up and stay strong.
Exactly! Leakers/trolls are having a fun time with making fake leaks with this game and everybody shouldn't put faith in any leaker, not even Vergeben until we hear who's all in the roster from Sakurai himself.

This is exactly how I felt about King K. Rool, it was nice to finally have some closure on his inclusion. I agree that Dixie Kong is the last important character not yet playable in Smash, with Bandana Dee being second to last, and I think it would be odd if Sakurai overlooked one or both characters considering their relevance and importance to their series. Dixie Kong especially deserves to be playable, she has been an important protagonist since the SNES days, and it would be a crime if she was overlooked again after all this time. We have been waiting for Ultimate since March of this year. Over six months have passed since then, and we're nearing only two months to go. I feel pretty good about Dixie Kong's chances, I can see her being DLC but I think it would make more sense for Dixie to be a part of the main game's roster. She's too important to be regulated as an extra character you need to purchase in my opinion. I think we'll find out if she's in the game or not sooner rather than later.
It would be a huge crime if Dixie Kong doesn't make it in this time and I believe we are finally going to get her in this game.

Bandana Dee is not a character I support, but he is a important character being one of the 4 protagonists to the Kirby series. So I say he deserves to be in because of that.

Another all star Nintendo character I believe should be in as well is Classic/Pig Ganon. He deserves to be in the roster as much as Ganondorf because he is the first antagonist of the Zelda series and has appeared in more games then Ganondorf himself. Ganon has contributed a lot to the legacy of the Zelda franchise so he deserves it.

Handy Man

Smash Ace
It would be a huge crime if Dixie Kong doesn't make it in this time and I believe we are finally going to get her in this game.

Bandana Dee is not a character I support, but he is a important character being one of the 4 protagonists to the Kirby series. So I say he deserves to be in because of that.
Yeah, it would be a huge crime if Dixie Kong wasn't playable as a semi-clone or unique character. I think it would be really odd if Sakurai overlooked her since she was relevant during both the project plan with Tropical Freeze's Wii U release, and today with its Switch port. I also do not support Bandana Dee as I'm not a big Kirby fan, but I feel like Dixie Kong and Bandana Dee are the last two characters from existing series that deserve to be added as playable characters. They are both important to their series, especially Dixie considering her senority and importance in DKC2 and DKC3. Whereas Bandana Dee is an optional playable character, Dixie Kong is mandatory throughout DKC2 and DKC3, cementing her importance to the Donkey Kong franchise. I would be happy for the Kirby fans if Bandana Dee made it in, but Dixie Kong feels much more long overdue.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Yeah, it would be a huge crime if Dixie Kong wasn't playable as a semi-clone or unique character. I think it would be really odd if Sakurai overlooked her since she was relevant during both the project plan with Tropical Freeze's Wii U release, and today with its Switch port. I also do not support Bandana Dee as I'm not a big Kirby fan, but I feel like Dixie Kong and Bandana Dee are the last two characters from existing series that deserve to be added as playable characters. They are both important to their series, especially Dixie considering her senority and importance in DKC2 and DKC3. Whereas Bandana Dee is an optional playable character, Dixie Kong is mandatory throughout DKC2 and DKC3, cementing her importance to the Donkey Kong franchise. I would be happy for the Kirby fans if Bandana Dee made it in, but Dixie Kong feels much more long overdue.
I agree.

Luigi player

Smash Master
Not gonna lie the prima "leak" really gave me hope for a while but I'm not sure anymore with the persons birthday being april 1st.

Gotta wait in anxiety for her. I dreamed of a reveal trailer two days ago and it was nice (don't remember anything anymore though)..

I reread the source gaming article about planned/unused characters for Dixie Kong
(https://sourcegaming.info/2016/04/29/duflupdate/)

Apparently she had a working prototype. I wonder how far that was developed. To be honest I don't want chars to be mixed together and rather have them as their own fighters so that's good, but she really needs to join finally!

pepiux

Smash Apprentice
Not gonna lie the prima "leak" really gave me hope for a while but I'm not sure anymore with the persons birthday being april 1st.
Well, the Prima leaker most likely created his/her account here only to post the leak, as it's the only post associated with that account. Can't remember how it is here, but most websites have the 1st of each month as a default. It's likely this person didn't bother with the day and just changed the month to whatever. I've done it before...

What makes me more wary about it is that it's missing the Starman Assist and Inkling as a character. Again, it could be transcribing errors or what not, but they're definitely red flags.

The Prima leak has its things going for it, though. Mainly that it agrees with every other believable leak, i.e. Vergeben and CoroCoro; the Bethesda talks with Nintendo about Smash, Black Knight getting a Mii costume, Dixie being unique (something no leaker has dared to claim despite being likely), the actual Smash Prima guide being announced after the leak was posted and, knowing how Sakurai revisits old ideas, both Mach Rider and Dixie being considered for Melee and Brawl, respectively.

I'm still neutral on it, though.

Last edited:

cybersai

Smash Ace
Vault Boy alone lets you know the Prima leak is fake, let alone like 8+ newcomers and we're never going to get that many more in just 2 month of reveals left.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
If Sakurai wasn't lying about the "not a lot of newcomers" thing, then I don't expect more than two non-echo newcomers, three if you want to stretch it.

The Vegetable or whatever leak (I forgot the name) got everything right so far so I am prepared for the worst, since there was no mention of Dixie, as far as I remember. The newcomer roster so far is pretty great, don't get me wrong, but it will be so stupid if we get another Pokémon rep and Dixie still isn't playable.

Like, why.

I do not see the point of speculating about DLC fighters when we don't even know if that is going to be a thing (DLC will happen, but fighters? Who knows). That being said, if Dixie isn't playable in the vanilla roster, hopefully she is added as a DLC, if DLC fighters are still a thing this time around.

It is just not fair for Dixie to not be playable.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Knowing Sakurai I wouldn't be surprise if he was pulling at us saying when "Don't expect many newcomers" he meant unique fighters.

Personally I think Dixie is likely at this point. If I had to make a prediction who the final roster is it'd be these.

Unique Fighters:
Banjo-Kazooie
Elma
Geno
Incineroar
Steve (Maybe)

Echo Fighters:
Dixie Kong
Ken
Medusa
Shadow

Including Pokemon Trainer this rounds out to 82 fighters.

Last edited:

pepiux

Smash Apprentice
Knowing Sakurai I wouldn't be surprise if he was pulling at us saying when "Don't expect many newcomers" he meant unique fighters.

Personally I think Dixie is likely at this point. If I had to make a prediction who the final roster is it'd be these.

Unique Fighters:
Banjo-Kazooie
Elma
Geno
Incineroar
Steve (Maybe)

Echo Fighters:
Dixie Kong
Ken
Medusa
Shadow

Including Pokemon Trainer this rounds out to 82 fighters.
That's what I believe. Saying "Don't expect too many newcomers" and then going on revealing 5 in the next Direct is contradictory. This is why I think Echoes are extra characters to round out the roster. They don't get their own number either.

And that is exactly why I disagree with Dixie being an Echo (at least the Echo concept we've seen so far). Especially after Isabelle.

:)

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
That's what I believe. Saying "Don't expect too many newcomers" and then going on revealing 5 in the next Direct is contradictory. This is why I think Echoes are extra characters to round out the roster. They don't get their own number either.

And that is exactly why I disagree with Dixie being an Echo (at least the Echo concept we've seen so far). Especially after Isabelle.

I'd definitely be totally satisfied with this roster. Sure no Black Shadow but I could still hope for DLC but at least I would get Banjo and Medusa.

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord

Well the real reason I found out why so many believe Dixie is fated to be an echo cause most believe it's impossible for Dkc to get two unique characters(along with the limited amount of actual newcomers being added, also the changes Diddy has makes it more possible) and some don't see her on the same level as Isabelle(who's the mascot of AC nowadays) they underestimating her chance. Well it's certainly isn't impossible for them to break the pattern(even if it's unlikely) we just got to wait and see.

I'm just going to be flexible with the situation and accept what happens but I'll still hope for the best.

pepiux

Smash Apprentice
Well the real reason I found out why so many believe Dixie is fated to be an echo cause most believe it's impossible for Dkc to get two unique characters(along with the limited amount of actual newcomers being added, also the changes Diddy has makes it more possible) and some don't see her on the same level as Isabelle(who's the mascot of AC nowadays) they underestimating her chance. Well it's certainly isn't impossible for them to break the pattern(even if it's unlikely) we just got to wait and see.

I'm just going to be flexible with the situation and accept what happens but I'll still hope for the best.
I think the main reason she is a top Echo choice is because she is not overly popular and is not everyone's favorite pick, yet she is expected and deserving. It's a bit egotistical, being sidelined as an Echo by people who think their favorite ones or the usual top picks deserve a unique spot more. Some people have said so themselves.

It's the same reason why top characters are never rooted for as clones or Echoes. See: Ridley (Charizard), Banjo (Duck Hunt), Geno (Mii Fighter), Isaac (Robin). Those are just examples, of course. Propose Banjo as a Duck Hunt Echo and people will jump at you, saying how it's not fair to the character, how it doesn't make sense, etc. Banjo is a top popular pick, so you don't see posts like that too often.

Also, sidenote: Diddy's jab change has nothing to suggest that the tail attack is gone. We don't know.

Last edited:

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
I think the main reason she is a top Echo choice is because she is not overly popular and is not everyone's favorite pick, yet she is expected and deserving. It's a bit egotistical, being sidelined as an Echo by people who think their favorite ones or the usual top picks deserve a unique spot more. Some people have said so themselves.

It's the same reason why top characters are never rooted for as clones or Echoes. See: Ridley (Charizard), Banjo (Duck Hunt), Geno (Mii Fighter), Isaac (Robin). Those are just examples, of course. Propose Banjo as a Duck Hunt Echo and people will jump at you, saying how it's not fair to the character, how it doesn't make sense, etc. Banjo is a top popular pick, so you don't see posts like that too often.

Also, sidenote: Diddy's jab change has nothing to suggest that the tail attack is gone. We don't know.
True but we don't know if that will stop them from going that route on the jab combo situation. Of course we need more information but it's still possible for them to go that route since we can't be sure how the devs will handle the characters. I still think that most people just don't see us getting 2 unique Dkc characters, it's really not impossible so it's best not to feed into that completely.

Banjo Kazooie is literally impossible to be an echo of Duck Hunt cause they have drastically different body types, anyone who says that is foolish and ignorant.

Last edited:

pepiux

Smash Apprentice
True but we don't know if that will stop them from going that route on the jab combo situation. Of course we need more information but it's still possible for them to go that route since we can't be sure how the devs will handle the characters. I still think that most people just don't see us getting 2 unique Dkc characters, it's really not impossible so it's best not to feed into that completely.

Banjo Kazooie is literally impossible to be an echo of Duck Hunt cause they have drastically different body types, anyone who says that is foolish and ignorant.
Well that's not the best way to look at things. Basically, we should expect them to remove the tail just because they changed an animation that had no connection to said tail attack? It's empty speculation on which everyone is on board because someone posted it a long time ago and it caught on like fire in favor of Echo Dixie Kong. It's baseless still; Diddy can go into the tail attack with his new jab just fine. I repeat, we do not know if the tail is gone, and nothing in what we've seen in Diddy's moveset suggests it's gone. We don't know why he does a forward kick instead of a backwards one. Maybe the developers thought it fit his character better?

Of course Banjo as a Duck Hunt Echo does not make much sense, that is the point I want to make. Dixie shares her body type with Diddy, yet she possesses an appendage that Diddy lacks. Yet, you see everyone claiming how you can just simply replace Diddy's attacks with hair attacks and call it a day. A punch or kick animation uses limbs; hair uses your head. It's impossible to make her an Echo and have her use her hair as an attacking tool just slapped onto Diddy's animations. It just can't be, you'd have to completely change the mechanics of the animation and I doubt she'd be an Echo then. I've been saying in this thread that if Dixie were to be an Echo, at least in the same way as all the Echoes so far have been, she would not use her hair at all.

Last edited:

Jasae Bushae

Smash Cadet
Im confident that Dixie will make it in. Shes an excellent character whose chances are quite good I believe

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
Well that's not the best way to look at things. Basically, we should expect them to remove the tail just because they changed an animation that had no connection to said tail attack? It's empty speculation on which everyone is on board because someone posted it a long time ago and it caught on like fire in favor of Echo Dixie Kong. It's baseless still; Diddy can go into the tail attack with his new jab just fine. I repeat, we do not know if the tail is gone, and nothing in what we've seen in Diddy's moveset suggests it's gone. We don't know why he does a forward kick instead of a backwards one. Maybe the developers thought it fit his character better?

Of course Banjo as a Duck Hunt Echo does not make much sense, that is the point I want to make. Dixie shares her body type with Diddy, yet she possesses an appendage that Diddy lacks. Yet, you see everyone claiming how you can just simply replace Diddy's attacks with hair attacks and call it a day. A punch or kick animation uses limbs; hair uses your head. It's impossible to make her an Echo and have her use her hair as an attacking tool just slapped onto Diddy's animations. It just can't be, you'd have to completely change the mechanics of the animation and I doubt she'd be an Echo then. I've been saying in this thread that if Dixie were to be an Echo, at least in the same way as all the Echoes so far have been, she would not use her hair at all.
Yeah I just said that we don't want we don't know how they are going to handle this situation. We have to wait and see.

The echo treatment is still possibility but I do agree that it wouldn't be fitting for Dixie to operate without her ponytail but we don't know how she will be added to the game assuming she's playable that is. I truly hope she will be at least a semi clone(or even possibly unique) but we just got to see if they'll willing to do so.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
To add on to this, people heard a sample of Bonus Room Blitz in Diddy's trailer and asserted it was Dixie Beat unquestionably. They were so eager to write Dixie off as an Echo that they wanted to use a DKC1 remix to justify it, without hearing the full track. Now that the August 8th Direct cleared that up, nobody acknowledges it, but the irony is that the song situation is just like the jab situation: people jumping to conclusions without enough info and writing Dixie off.

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
To add on to this, people heard a sample of Bonus Room Blitz in Diddy's trailer and asserted it was Dixie Beat unquestionably. They were so eager to write Dixie off as an Echo that they wanted to use a DKC1 remix to justify it, without hearing the full track. Now that the August 8th Direct cleared that up, nobody acknowledges it, but the irony is that the song situation is just like the jab situation: people jumping to conclusions without enough info and writing Dixie off.
Hmm this is the first time I heard about the situation about the song they used for Diddy. It is unfortunate that Dixie isn't spoken too highly on her chance among others but we just got to wait and see if she gets in.

I didn't mean for this to go on as I was referring to others on the subject at hand.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Hmm this is the first time I heard about the situation about the song they used for Diddy. It is unfortunate that Dixie isn't spoken too highly on her chance among others but we just got to wait and see if she gets in.

I didn't mean for this to go on as I was referring to others on the subject at hand.
No need to regret the current direction of the discussion, I didn't read any of the posts as hostile. :)

But yea, the "Dixie's music is playing during Diddy's trailer so she must be an Echo" argument popped up during the E3 period. It died quickly, but it was prominent.

Gobliiin

Smash Apprentice
How many characters have had their posts on the smash blog? Not having Diddy still seems weird. I keep swinging in what I believe but I feel like she's going to be in again now. Really hope she is though. To have that feeling of having my only wanted newcomer after k. Rool would be great

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
No need to regret the current direction of the discussion, I didn't read any of the posts as hostile. :)

But yea, the "Dixie's music is playing during Diddy's trailer so she must be an Echo" argument popped up during the E3 period. It died quickly, but it was prominent.
The music that was playing in Diddy's trailer was the Bonus Room music from the original Donkey Kong Country. Were they playing Dixie's music in Diddy's segment at E3?

Top Bottom