• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

Spatman

Smash Ace
If Verg is right, the Box Art Theory is wrong.

The Box Art Theory implies there are two more characters. Verg said there are atleast three: 1. SE rep. 2. Pokemon Gen 7 rep. 3. Ken.

Also, Sakurai prefers to work on DLC after the base game is completed. Yes, development on Smash U could be complete right now, but Verg leaked the potential Minecraft content and SE character around June/July. I doubt Sakurai had decided for those things to be DLC back then, which leads me to believe whatever Verg leaked back then to be in the base game.
I think this time they did the things in a slightly different way than the way they did for smash 4
and so I think they planned dlcs better and earlier than they did for smash4
leaving aside the fact that at least Mewtwo was planned and started to be worked before smash wii u released (most likely also before smash 3ds released).
So Sakurai's words are always to be taken with a grain of salt

KingZing

Smash Journeyman
The reasoning that only two characters remain makes sense when you look at the box, but it's just a placeholder image. Will it be like that? Maybe or maybe not, but I doubt it's anything definitive.

In any case it would suck that the only newcomers left are just Ken and Incineroar. From what we've seen, that's what doesn't make sense. Again, the Rathalos image, the chairs and couch, the sun and moon... No way all that was meaningless. And to end things off with only those two after Ridely and K. Rool for the final Smash Direct would be really eh. Sakurai did say not to expect too many, but I feel we can still see 2-3 more and 4-5 new echoes.

Dixie is still a very likely choice, no need to panic.

Last edited:

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
The box art theory operates off of these fallacies:

1. It assumes that the box art is finalized. Proven incorrect by the lack of Isabelle and remaining newcomers on the side.
2. It assumes that the art cannot be altered or reformated. Proven incorrect by the Ultimate mural artwork, which is dynanically changed to fit announced characters.
3. It treats the "blank spaces" as arbitrary limitations. Proven wrong historically by CSS in different Smash games and "hidden newcomer" slots on the Brawl Dojo back in the day. When the shown spaces are filled, new ones are added as need be.
4. It assumes that Sakurai wants us to openly know how many characters are left before revealing them. I don't think I need to say why this is ridiculous.
5. It conforms to people's pre-existing expectations caused by Vergeben. He said two particular characters, so now we're all fixed on two. Proven incorrect by the fact that Vergeben has not been spot-on very much and is still a skeptical source of information, and could be a lucky guesser and nothing more.

Copy-paste this any time you need to debunk Box Art Theory.

Last edited:

Spatman

Smash Ace
the calculation behind the disposition of characters is too much studied to be random and to be something you do for a temporary placeholder subject to be completely changed

ok, we can't be 100% sure it's all true and definitive, but logically speaking it's much much more likely that the box theory is correct

Last edited:

Luviant X

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Luviant_X
Switch FC
SW-2346-6627-6402
The box art theory operates off of these fallacies:

1. It assumes that the box art is finalized. Proven incorrect by the lack of Isabelle and remaining newcomers on the side.
2. It assumes that the art cannot be altered or reformatted. Proven incorrect by the Ultimate mural artwork, which is dynanically changed to fit announced characters.
3. It treats the "blank spaces" as arbitrary limitations. Proven wrong historically by CSS in different Smash games and "hidden newcomer" slots on the Brawl Dojo back in the day. When the shown spaces are filled, new ones are added as need be.
4. It assumes that Sakurai wants us to openly know how many characters are left before revealing them. I don't think I need to say why this is ridiculous.
5. It conforms to people's pre-existing expectations caused by Vergeben. He said two particular characters, so now we're all fixed on two. Proven incorrect by the fact that Vergeben has not been spot-on very much and is still a skeptical source of information, and could be a lucky guesser and nothing more.

Copy-paste this any time you need to debunk Box Art Theory.
I agree with everything except for 5.

He said at least three characters: 1. Gen 7 Rep. 2. Square Rep. 3. Ken.

While it's clear he does not know everything (Daisy, KKR, etc.), he has called Ridley, no cuts, Snake and ICs returning, Simon, Isabelle, and hasn't given clear reason to dismiss him for his leaks for this game yet.

If he really guessed of all that, I need to take him with me to Vegas.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Might as well copypaste this from the Isaac-thread...

Couldn't be more uneasier to wake up on this "box theory"-thing today. The way it's making all these fans and supporters now call quits on speculation is kind of disheartening.

In my strong opinion, I feel that Sakurai, and/or Nintendo's marketing team even moreso, wouldn't be that careless to let bundle box-art like this be allowed, as now it seems to be damaging the hyped momentum and marketing power Smash Ultimate has carried on so far.

On that note, what makes this theory feel bogus is how the box art doesn't even have Isabelle included next to K.Rool. If she was, we'd be probably believing there's just one character left - since that box-art has also Echoes on it.

The best I can take from that "theory" is that if following what Vergeben's been getting right again, it'd allow us to pin-down reveals on Ken's and Gen 7 PKMN's favour - so I'm now looking out for those two. Until, it a placeholder image at best for me.

Again, see how this theory's ruining speculation around these forums and is spreading on further scale on the internet? Sakurai's not gonna be that daft and destructive on Ultimate's current powerful momentum, during this considerably long point of time before it's release. :100:
THANK YOU.

Takasmash

Smash Ace
Dixie Kong has a big chance appearing as a semi echo yes I want that so bad it kinda wont make sense if shes a echo of Diddy I mean she use her hair attacks not punching or kicking. Base Roaster 60% or DLC 95% it can go either way.

NapoleonDos

Smash Cadet
Peach, Marth, Inklings, Ice Climbers, Pit, Toon Link, Wolf, Ness and Villager repeat from the front of the box and show up on the side.
Thanks for being the only one to say this.

Mario, Link, and Pikachu are the stars of Nintendo.
In what world would they not receive double billing, but Ice Climbers do?

I legitimately cannot see any credence to the box art theory.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I can't imagine Dixie missing it in SSBU, whether base game or DLC. I just can't. There's really no reason for her to miss getting in at all if it somehow happens. I was surprised to see her not get into SSB4, but if she doesn't make it into this game then a part of me will think Sakurai probably just doesn't see the interest in her.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
There are lots of considerations that go into selecting characters into Smash Brothers. Even characters that are "Smash material" are passed up sometimes. That doesn't mean the door is closed on them forever. I always found similar comments about K. Rool odd and look at him now. Even if Dixie didn't make it in the base game, it makes no sense to close the door on a major protagonist in one of Nintendo's most well known platformer series. That is enough to make her a contender.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
eventhubs recently posted an article about dixie kong's chances. it parrots a lot of the discussion that goes on here but its neat all the same: https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2018...t-increased-dramatically-isabelles-inclusion/
Perfectly sums up my thoughts, Dixie is simply too popular and important of a character to be simply ignored. Not when she's popular, relevant and can be a semi-clone, she literally ticks all the boxes. If she's somehow not in her absence will certainly be jarring.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
The wait until the game's release is killing me...I need to know if Dixie is in the game. While personally I couldn't be more happy that K.Rool is in the game. I always felt they really should've came as a "package deal" and revealed together ala Robin/Lucina. The fact that K.Rool's trailer ends the way it does would've been a perfect set-up for Dixie to swoop in and save them. Granted it COULD still happen this way but I'm impatient...lol I want Dixie NOW!!

If Dixie was revealed alongside K.Rool I probably wouldn't even be on this site anymore tbh. Hell Sakurai could announce Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo as the final character and I would've been fine with it since I know Rool and Dixie both made it.

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
eventhubs recently posted an article about dixie kong's chances. it parrots a lot of the discussion that goes on here but its neat all the same: https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2018...t-increased-dramatically-isabelles-inclusion/
Using Isabelle to support Dixie is very heartwarming for me cause I really love playing as Villager and Diddy(also pairing them as best friends) so this honestly makes me feel Isabelle and Dixie would be great together as pals too.

Dixie Kong

Smash Ace
Don’t forget, if Dixie is a “swap out” character with Diddy, that would explain why they showed the side of the box art they did, because otherwise they would show that Diddy and Dixie are together.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
The wait until the game's release is killing me...I need to know if Dixie is in the game. While personally I couldn't be more happy that K.Rool is in the game. I always felt they really should've came as a "package deal" and revealed together ala Robin/Lucina. The fact that K.Rool's trailer ends the way it does would've been a perfect set-up for Dixie to swoop in and save them. Granted it COULD still happen this way but I'm impatient...lol I want Dixie NOW!!

If Dixie was revealed alongside K.Rool I probably wouldn't even be on this site anymore tbh. Hell Sakurai could announce Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo as the final character and I would've been fine with it since I know Rool and Dixie both made it.
There's an event happening for Ultimate around November - which is where I hope a new set of characters will be featured, specifically Diddy. If he'd be there, we could at least confirm down for good if Dixie-based color exists or not.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
idk if diddy having his pink alt would even be a dealbreaker. mario still had his wario-inspired color in brawl and smash 4.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
Don’t forget, if Dixie is a “swap out” character with Diddy, that would explain why they showed the side of the box art they did, because otherwise they would show that Diddy and Dixie are together.
If that were the case, they would have shown it by now. His page on the website is listed as just him, and not only have we seen all his special moves already, but if they were a pair that could switch, the page would show both like the Pokemon Trainer. Swapping is a mechanic completely exclusive to the Trainer now; Sheik and Zero Suit are still separate.

Last edited:

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
I still think Dixie will be an echo because of limited development time and K. Rool already being a unique newcomer. Like Dark Samus should be a semi but because we got Ridley they just quickly put her in as an echo.

idk if diddy having his pink alt would even be a dealbreaker. mario still had his wario-inspired color in brawl and smash 4.
It probably is a dealbreaker. Unlike Diddy and Dixie Mario and Wario have very different body proportions so they get away with similar outfits. Also Dark Samus, Chrom and Daisy skins were removed from Samus, Ike and Peach.

Last edited:

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
true but in the case of dark samus and daisy they resemble their respective characters quite a bit. diddy's pink costume is clearly meant as an homage to dixie but doesn't really resemble her even at a passing glance.

i just think if diddy still has that costume, that its not concrete proof that dixie isn't also in the game. its not unreasonable to have both.

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
true but in the case of dark samus and daisy they resemble their respective characters quite a bit. diddy's pink costume is clearly meant as an homage to dixie but doesn't really resemble her even at a passing glance.

i just think if diddy still has that costume, that its not concrete proof that dixie isn't also in the game. its not unreasonable to have both.
This is true, it also worth noting that pink Diddy has blond fur and Dixie regularly has brown fur with a blond ponytail so they wouldn't look too similar, Fox still have a Wolf like costume though it's a more purplish furred now so they could diversify it if they need to.

Last edited:

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
I agree with everything except for 5.

He said at least three characters: 1. Gen 7 Rep. 2. Square Rep. 3. Ken.

While it's clear he does not know everything (Daisy, KKR, etc.), he has called Ridley, no cuts, Snake and ICs returning, Simon, Isabelle, and hasn't given clear reason to dismiss him for his leaks for this game yet.

If he really guessed of all that, I need to take him with me to Vegas.
1000 monkeys with typewriters. If 1000 fake leakers dish out info, one of them is likely to be fairly accurate on sheer chance alone. The only way to push the boundary to authenticity is to get most details right to put you a notch ahead of the other lucky guessers. And Verg has been wrong about just as many things as he's been right about.

Where's that new Castlevania game? Why is Richter here? I thought we weren't getting any DK reps? Why can't he provide details about the Gen 7 pokemon or 2nd SE rep?

There is always a chance he's right and has inconsistent sources. But we should stop treating him as gospel.

Last edited:

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
One pervasive notion that I keep seeing get spread around SmashFAQs is that Ken and Incineroar are the final two characters. Incineroar is only likely under the outcome that Vergeben is right, and his information directly contradicts the box theory. Verg has said there is also an unknown Square Enix character in addition to Ken and the Gen VII rep. Ken being an echo under the box theory is very likely, but the final newcomer could be anyone out of the likely candidates we have left.

Hell, at the risk of getting people's hopes unreasonably high in here, it could theoretically be a semi-clone Dixie in the outcome that they have used up all of their heavy-hitter newcomers after K. Rool and are left with characters who are echoes or started as echoes and upgraded to semi-clones. That scenario's likelihood is anyone's guess, but hey. It could happen.

EDIT: Just so we're clear, I'm not leaning one way or the other towards Vergeben or the box theory; I'm just saying that the outcome of just Ken and Incineroar is far from the most likely outcome.

Last edited:

Luviant X

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Luviant_X
Switch FC
SW-2346-6627-6402
1000 monkeys with typewriters. If 1000 fake leakers dish out info, one of them is likely to be fairluly accurate on sheer chance alone. The only way to push the boundary to authenticity is to get most details right to put you a notch ahead of the other lucky guessers. And Verg has been wrong about just as many things as he's been right about.

Where's that new Castlevania game? Why is Richter here? I thought we weren't getting any DK reps? Why can't he provide details about the Gen 7 pokemon or 2nd SE rep?

There is always a chance he's right and has inconsistent sources. But we should stop treating him as gospel.
I'm just curious how many lucky guesses does it take for us to take him a little bit more seriously. He was doubted back after E3 because while he got Ridley, no cuts, and Snake/ICs returning, Simon didn't appear.

Two months later, Simon is revealed. But huh? Another lucky guess. Let's keep dismissing him.

Shortly after, he leaks Isabelle. Two months later, she's revealed. But huh? Must be another lucky guess.

I'm not saying we should treat him as gospel. As I said in my first post, he clearly doesn't know everything. Just saying don't be surprised in the next few months if he just so happens to have a few more "lucky guesses."

Dixie Kong

Smash Ace
If that were the case, they would have shown it by now. His page on the website is listed as just him, and not only have we seen all his special moves already, but if they were a pair that could switch, the page would show both like the Pokemon Trainer. Swapping is a mechanic completely exclusive to the Trainer now; Sheik and Zero Suit are still separate.
Oh sorry, I meant if after his final smash he claps out Dixie or throws a barrel and she comes out and replaces him.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Ok so just for my notes here, we agreed that the hair slam is her Down Smash then? The Stage Dive idea (with projectile deflection) is officially Down B.

Hey Diddy Kong Diddy Kong you were mentioning some kind of Spinning attack before that was used by an enemy I believe. I'm drawing a blank on what that is but would like to see it in the set. Could you elaborate?

Astroworld

Smash Apprentice
We need more DK characters. I love all the different kongs. Dixie as a Diddy echo and Funky as a DK echo would be my wish

Cranky as a unique character would be awesome but i’m not holding my breath on that one

Last edited:

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
CoroCoro just leaked that there will be 108 stages; SourceGaming confirmed this on their Twitter. Could be a typo, but it could mean a TF stage if they have information that we don't. Also, it's quite likely that it kills the box theory if it wasn't already dead before.

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
Since Dixie likes using her ponytail to grab heavy items how about she do the same for her grab and throws on opponents.

Her pummel during the throw would have her tightening them in her ponytail.

Her forward throw is directly from how she throws in Dkc 2&3.

Her up throw would have an uppercut like animation with the opponent in her ponytail and tossed upwards.

Her down throw would have her preforming a front flip which causes her opponent to bounce off the ground floor and allow her to follow up with combos though the bounce would go higher depending upon how much damage the opponent has.

Her back throw would have her twirling and throw them to the opposite of where she's facing.

These are just ideas that I been thinking of that could make her more in character.

Last edited:

Machete

Smash Ace
CoroCoro just leaked that there will be 108 stages; SourceGaming confirmed this on their Twitter. Could be a typo, but it could mean a TF stage if they have information that we don't. Also, it's quite likely that it kills the box theory if it wasn't already dead before.
I think it hints at a TF stage, indeed. The sole DKCR content was removed given its gimmick, and it seems natural to give it a TF stage to compensate. Ridley, K.Rool and Isabelle didn’t have new stages, meaning that newcomers don’t necessarily have to have a new stage. But, if Dixie Kong is in, it would be quite absurd to have two DK newcomers and no new stage. And the only stage that would make sense to be shown off alongside Dixie but not with K.Rool is a Tropical Freeze stage.

I am betting those five extra stages are for Tropical Freeze, a location from Sun&Moon (hoping for UltraSpace and playable Buzzwole), the rumored Minecraft stage, and two stages for two newcomers from new series (and I’d bet, Isaac and the Square Enix character).

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
I think of Dixie like Bandana Waddle Dee, you have all there except 1. It bothers me, so I hope Sakurai puts her in as the roster would feel weird only having 3 out of the 4 main SNES DKC characters. I already had this feeling with Kirby all throughout Smash 4, so I hope Sakurai remedies this issue this time around.

SilentSentinel

Smash Apprentice
If the corocoro stage count isn't a typo, DK feels like one of the most likely existing franchises to get an additional stage given that 2 of the DK stages aren't in the game (although losing rumble falls is a net positive tbh).

GAINAX

Smash Journeyman
I'm not about to throw in the towel just yet. We still haven't seen that pink alternate skin for Diddy, and that feels somewhat intentional to me. Hopefully we'll see him in a new build of the game at Tokyo Game show next week.

There's always the chance that the marketing team are fully aware about the leaks and are trying to trick us...

The fact that Corocoro have just confirmed some new stages bodes well for my Jungle Hijynx snowy reskin + Dixie reveal theory : p

Last edited:

cybersai

Smash Ace
As long as we have at least 2-3 more newcomers after Incineroar, she should be one of them.

The whole latest rumors of limited newcomers and everything from Verg and the box has me worried. It's the only reason she may not get in.

Top Bottom