• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
I'm still thinking Echo fighter, and if we get one newcomer announcement tomorrow, I would hope an Echo or two would be announced as well, though I'm not exactly expecting it to happen. I just love the possibility of it happening, since Dark Samus and Chrom set a precedent for it. But really, I'm gonna set my expectations to just one newcomer, and unfortunately, it ain't Dixie.

Scottfrankd

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScottFrankD
I feel like the end of K Rool's trailer pretty much confirmed Dixie. Every other end of trailers was full CGI, and that one was just In game, and seems to be hinting at Dixie needing to save Donkey and Diddy like in DKC3. I can see her echo trailer starting with that part with Dixie smashing K Rool away.

Yeah A pokemon seems the most likely, at the very end, but I do hope for Shantae, Plus if the website missing blogs are to be beleived, japan was supposed to get 3 after the direct. A newcomer trailer, a character spotlight, and a character memories. Would a pokemon get a Memories though is the question... didn't they already have a memories? Not every newcomer has gotten a memory(CHrom didn't)... so its hard to say. If we do get a memory... i feel like a pokemon wouldn't get one... so that feels like it points to a new franchise... which makes me hopeful for shantae
I actually really like that thought process for Dixie (although, if were going the DKC3 route, Kiddy Kong echo of DK???)

slopdop

Smash Cadet
Coming in pretty late but would love to add my support for Dixie and good luck for hopefully tomorrow!
Would be amazing to have a full 4 set of DK fighters!

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I feel like Dixie is mostly likely as a Wolf situation with a hover Mechanic and hair throws. I could honestly see Sakurai still labeling her an echo; just muddling the echo terminology even more lmao. I imagine her being one of the last characters being added honestly; I dunno why.

Last edited:

pepiux

Smash Apprentice
I feel like Dixie is mostly likely as a Wolf situation with a hover Mechanic and hair throws. I could honestly see Sakurai still labeling her an echo; just muddling the echo terminology evem more lmao. I imagine her being one of the last characters being added honestly; I dunno why.
A Wolf/Lucas situation is what I'm betting on too, but I'm unsure if she'd labeled an Echo then.

Scottfrankd

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScottFrankD
Dear lord think of the trolling Sakurai would have done if we got kiddy kong over dixie kong haha
Yeah, the community heavily requests Dixie, a character consistently used in the DK games, and we get the baby that hasn't been seen since.
Ultimate troll.
Ha! Ultimate.....

I feel like Dixie is mostly likely as a Wolf situation with a hover Mechanic and hair throws. I could honestly see Sakurai still labeling her an echo; just muddling the echo terminology evem more lmao. I imagine her being one of the last characters being added honestly; I dunno why.
The echo terminology is a bit silly to be honest - or should I say, the self-imposed rules. Sakurai doesn't really follow them, as shown with Chrom, so I could see the majority of her attacks being the same except for her recovery and throws - perhaps some of her animations use her hair, but have the same hitbox as Diddy.

zferolie

Smash Hero
A Wolf/Lucas situation is what I'm betting on too, but I'm unsure if she'd labeled an Echo then.
Yeah, the community heavily requests Dixie, a character consistently used in the DK games, and we get the baby that hasn't been seen since.
Ultimate troll.
Ha! Ultimate.....

The echo terminology is a bit silly to be honest - or should I say, the self-imposed rules. Sakurai doesn't really follow them, as shown with Chrom, so I could see the majority of her attacks being the same except for her recovery and throws - perhaps some of her animations use her hair, but have the same hitbox as Diddy.
Yeah the echo debate is... odd. We know Pichu, Young link, and Dr. Mario are not labled as echos, but chrom is, who feels like he would be the same camp as those other 3... its possible that an echo can be an echo as long as its taking moves from someone in the game, even if its not that same person. Dr. Mario has a few unique moves to himself, a bunch maybe. Young Link is basically has unique arrows, and bombs, and maybe some other changes as well. Pichu has the whole hurt himself thing, and maybe some moves Pikachu stopped having since melee.

Dixie we already know if she is an echo she will have DK's Up b, maybe add a longer hover down to it. And then also giving her a unique throw or 2 would still qualify her as an echo.

Scottfrankd

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScottFrankD
Yeah the echo debate is... odd. We know Pichu, Young link, and Dr. Mario are not labled as echos, but chrom is, who feels like he would be the same camp as those other 3... its possible that an echo can be an echo as long as its taking moves from someone in the game, even if its not that same person. Dr. Mario has a few unique moves to himself, a bunch maybe. Young Link is basically has unique arrows, and bombs, and maybe some other changes as well. Pichu has the whole hurt himself thing, and maybe some moves Pikachu stopped having since melee.

Dixie we already know if she is an echo she will have DK's Up b, maybe add a longer hover down to it. And then also giving her a unique throw or 2 would still qualify her as an echo.
Honestly, I think the 'Echo' title is for characters that Sakurai would have made into costumes - and since the new characters he was going to make into costumes were Lucina and Dark Pit, I think that's why they got the labelling and the previous characters didn't. Now that they aren't costumes, he can make subtle differences to them. I think from this point, an echo will be a character that borrows most of their moveset from another fighter, and has animation differences. I even think height and weight of the character being different could still warrant being an echo.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord

Who's that grrrl who beats up waterfalls
It's DIXIE KONG, it's DIXIE KONG
She can climb real fast when a rope's on fire
playing guitar when her friend's kidnapped
wore a Microsoft subsidiary's logo on her hat
it's DIXIE KONG, it's DIXIE KONG!
Who's that grrrrrrl with banana hair?
And Tiny Kong too I guess
But let's focus on DIXIE KONG, it's DIXIE KONG

pepiux

Smash Apprentice
I don't think I'd be playing as her if she makes it in as a full Diddy Echo without any sort of hair attacks/grabs/spin, etc. With all the references to how she uses her hair in her old Smash trophies, I am sure Sakurai would not include it in some way or form.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I don't think I'd be playing as her if she makes it in as a full Diddy Echo without any sort of hair attacks/grabs/spin, etc. With all the references to how she uses her hair in her old Smash trophies, I am sure Sakurai would not include it in some way or form.
Well for sure her Up B would be her spin, which would be based on DK's, but maybe add the act that she falls slower after it, like in her games.

A few of her throws could use the hair I think.

How she grab's items, or at least large items, could use her hair like in DKC

Her B may use bubblegum like in tropical freeze

and maybe her dash is her DKC dash.

I think that could still qualify her as an echo,

Last edited:

pepiux

Smash Apprentice
Well for sure her Up B would be her spin, which would be based on DK's, but maybe add the act that she falls slower after it, like in her games.

A few of her throws could use the hair I think.

How she grab's items, or at least large items, could use her hair like in DKC

Her B may use bubblegum like in tropical freeze

and maybe her dash is her DKC dash.

I think that could still qualify her as an echo,
Don't forget her mid-air jump and hair ground-pound from Tropical Freeze. She could also use her hair as her grab. Damn, her hair does have potential for an interesting moveset.

I don't think that she'd be labeled an Echo if all this is included, if we consider how all Echoes so far have been implemented.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Dixie uses her hair extensively; she relies on it much more than Diddy uses his tail, so a moveset that echoes his will feel off, to say the least.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Dixie uses her hair extensively; she relies on it much more than Diddy uses his tail, so a moveset that echoes his will feel off, to say the least.
Diddy doesn't use his tail much in melee other then his extrended jab right?

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
Anyone want to claim another move for the community Dixie moveset? Back air, down air, all tilts, all smashes, all throws, jabs and Down Special/Side Special are still open. Feel free to brainstorm one of these moves and describe it, then add any details you want like damage and knockback.
I'd like to submit my Fsmash idea from the moveset I made. Dixie coils inward, wrapping her hair around her and throws it out in front of her. Upon hit, Dixie grabs her opponent and spins them around her once before throwing them away at a horizontal angle. On whiff, it has punishable endlag. This is Dixie's strongest kill move, but is risky.

This would have the distinction of being the first smash attack that acts like a grab.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
if thats it then Dixie shouldn't have much issue having different versions of those moves, if Diddy kept them, while still fitting an Echo definition.
That's where the problem comes in. Diddy doesn't rely on his tail but Dixie relies on her hair, if Diddy had a moveset where his tail covered many of his attacks, grabs/throws and movement then a Dixie that echoes him would be A-OK. The fact that he only has 2 tail moves in his entire set is why it doesn't fit when people say "Just replace the tail attacks with hair moves."

However Dixie plays, you'd need a moveset that reflects reliance on hair for her to be portrayed properly. She has to grab with it, use it for air-momentum, attacks and throws. The dash attack needs to be from either SNES DKCs or Tropical Freeze. Half of those making it in would already get her out of Echo territory. We need more than unique idle and victory animations, and CSS art to make Dixie feel like Dixie.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
While I'm HOPING Dixie shows up tomorrow....I'm just not feeling it. I feel tomorrow we either get a Pokemon rep OR Skull Kid/Geno. I don't think we will see any new echoes outside of a Smash focused direct. Assuming Dixie is an echo of course, she could very well be a full blown newcomer.

But hey if Dixie appears tomorrow, I'll gladly eat my words. Hell if Dixie is added tomorrow I'll buy the next person who comments a $20 eshop card!

pepiux

Smash Apprentice
That's where the problem comes in. Diddy doesn't rely on his tail but Dixie relies on her hair, if Diddy had a moveset where his tail covered many of his attacks, grabs/throws and movement then a Dixie that echoes him would be A-OK. The fact that he only has 2 tail moves in his entire set is why it doesn't fit when people say "Just replace the tail attacks with hair moves."

However Dixie plays, you'd need a moveset that reflects reliance on hair for her to be portrayed properly. She has to grab with it, use it for air-momentum, attacks and throws. The dash attack needs to be from either SNES DKCs or Tropical Freeze. Half of those making it in would already get her out of Echo territory. We need more than unique idle and victory animations, and CSS art to make Dixie feel like Dixie.
Agreed! Even then, something like replacing a tail-based attack to a hair-based one is something we have not seen in any of the Echoes...

Arguments like "DK's Up-B attack" and "replace Diddy's tail" keep being brought up, when there is no precedent so far of something like that happening (I mean changing an existing animation to accommodate a different one, not copy/pasting one attack for another, like Chrom's Up-B).

Last edited:

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
I hope we get some fortunate news that results in Dixie's confirmation. Let's complete the main DKC cast in Smash.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
I'd like to submit my Fsmash idea from the moveset I made. Dixie coils inward, wrapping her hair around her and throws it out in front of her. Upon hit, Dixie grabs her opponent and spins them around her once before throwing them away at a horizontal angle. On whiff, it has punishable endlag. This is Dixie's strongest kill move, but is risky.

This would have the distinction of being the first smash attack that acts like a grab.
Ok good stuff, what kind of kill power we talking? Think using it on Mario from the default training mode spawn on FD. Marth's F Smash kills at 57, Ike's and Ness's at 64 etc.

Also any damage numbers? I'm compiling that data too.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Agreed! Even then, something like replacing a tail-based attack to a hair-based one is something we have not seen in any of the Echoes...

Arguments like "DK's Up-B attack" and "replace Diddy's tail" keep being brought up, when there is no precedent so far of something like that happening (I mean changing an existing animation to accommodate a different one, not copy/pasting one attack for another, like Chrom's Up-B).
Yeah, and from what I've seen of the new Echoes and know about Dark Pit and Lucina, those characters still don't differ from their base fighters in terms of attacks. Dixie shouldn't be seen as a Diddy reskin waiting to happen, and with each Kong standing out from the others it'd be nice for Dixie as well.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
More than satisfied! A Wolf or Lucas-level moveset would put such a good spin on Dixie, and I'd be very happy to play as her.
This. I think it'd be best-case scenario that'd please both parties of devs and fans. Such a shame making semi-clones is much harder these days due so many characters that needs to be implemented in each Smash-installment.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
That works for me! Lucas is one of my faves! So glad he wasn't cut tbh xD Would you guy's be satisfied with Lucas/Wolf style Dixie?
I had been expecting this since forever. It makes the most sense. Yet am not sure what to expect right now.

Echo seems the most likely option. Yet I really don't want it. Diddy is my main and all, and theoretically a Echo of him would be awesome of course. But still, Dixie is worth more than that.

Still wouldn't mind her being a Echo as long as she got in, but can't help myself from not being too excited about it.

Also, Sakurai stated that with the Melee clones, he prioritsed characters with a disticntly different body type so that the clones would still very much feel like their own character. For example, Link and Young Link, Fox and Falco, C.Falcon and Ganondorf, all drastically different in weight, speeds, height, attack properties... I am hoping for more of that in Echoes. Echoes seems a little lazy even compared to Melee clones, and that's saying something.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
I want her guitar to be a final smash.
That's all I got. Lol
Would it function like DK's old Final Smash? Or would it be a cinematic type FS like Duck Hunt or Shulk? Also feel free to include the damage it would deal, it's a Final Smash so I'd expect some reasonably big numbers! Also what song would you have her play?

Dixie Kong

Smash Ace
Would it function like DK's old Final Smash? Or would it be a cinematic type FS like Duck Hunt or Shulk? Also feel free to include the damage it would deal, it's a Final Smash so I'd expect some reasonably big numbers! Also what song would you have her play?
Hmm, it wouldn't be like DK's since they are aiming for shorter final smashes now.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Hmm, it wouldn't be like DK's since they are aiming for shorter final smashes now.
Oh I merely meant hitting in shockwaves around her in an AoE like PK Starstorm, not the lengthy button pressing game. I was asking if he'd prefer it hit the map and affect the area, or if it would produce a single hitbox that, if it catches an opponent, does a powerful cinematic attack like Falcon, Shulk, Duck Hunt, Wario etc.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Am quite certain that tomorrow it’s Dixie Time. Can’t wait honestly.

Strong DK

Smash Apprentice
I actually really like that thought process for Dixie (although, if were going the DKC3 route, Kiddy Kong echo of DK???)
Funky is for DK echo. Kiddy should be condemned to eternal Beaver Bother torture. With reversed controls.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Why the hate on Kiddy? He was pretty cool I thought. Sure he’s my least favorite of the playable Kongs for the most part, but he had his charm. I liked his cry for example. Overly hysterical. Loved it. He’s also required to do the team toss properly cause Dixie can’t throw Kiddy for ****. And he’s just as fast as Dixie but can take out the big enemies. That’s quite a trade off.

I also would laugh my **** off if Kiddy somehow got added as a DK Echo.

Top Bottom