• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

AquaSol

Smash Apprentice
It was a bit weird to not have her in that trailer. I really do think that we’ll be seeing her as a weird echo-hybrid thing like Chrom and Richter. I really want her in!

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
While I prefer her to be a completely new fighter a Donkey/Diddy hybrid doesn't sound too bad at this point.
How I'd have it is
  1. Her DKC2 Dash attack
  2. Spinning Kong recovery in place of jetpack (albeit it goes higher vertically than DK's one)
  3. New Final Smash (Maybe something with the animal buddies)

ZTurtle

Smash Journeyman
How I'd have it is
  1. Her DKC2 Dash attack
  2. Spinning Kong recovery in place of jetpack (albeit it goes higher vertically than DK's one)
  3. New Final Smash (Maybe something with the animal buddies)
Add in grabbing and throwing with her hair, and that sounds good to me. I also think that slamming the ground with her hair like DK's Down Special would be more fitting compared to the banana peel.

Daniee

Smash Cadet
The Direct made me feel better about her chances.......... as an echo fighter.

She'll share all of her attacks with Diddy except:

Up special (maybe replaced with DK's)
Neutral special (mostly the same but will be the Bubblegum Shooter instead of Peanut Popgun)
Maybe Final Smash -- we haven't seen Diddy's yet but I'm betting it's getting changed due to his original lasting quite a while
...and hopefully her dash attack would be a hair twirl instead of Diddy's cartwheel

It's not ideal... but it's better than nothing. =/

I don't think this Direct was the best time to reveal her necessarily. Sakurai must've known that people noticed the Chrom and Dark Samus colors for Ike and Samus were gone in the demo and wanted to get them out of the way first. He even says "You may have seen this coming."

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Dixie Kong at this point is perhaps the last Nintendo All-Star not yet playable (aside from Toad, who unfortunately has been de-confirmed). It does seem really weird Dixie Kong was not shown off for the K. Rool unveil even assuming she is an echo.

This might be wishful thinking. However, it might be possible that Dixie Kong was originally planned to be an echo, but is in the process of being retooled as a semi-clone.

It is also possible that she is just a Diddy echo with her own recovery (as we have seen with Chrom).

Regardless, we shall see what happens with Dixie Kong. There are only four months left until the game's release and Sakurai has said he plans to show off all of the characters before the game's release.

Hopefully, K. Rool fans will now jump on the Dixie Kong train much like Diddy Kong fans did to K. Rool once he was confirmed.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
I'm glad to have visited this thread and seen the optimism, because I felt like if she was in the game at all it would have been perfect to show her in King K. Rool's trailer...maybe at the end like they did with Dark Pit in Palutena's.

But I mean she could still be her own character and not even an echo so we'll see. Crossing my fingers, she deserves it!

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I'm feeling really optimistic here. Chrom being a hybrid echo is making Dixie look like a very good option as a Diddy echo with an upB more like DK's and a few different animations.

And I'm not worried about her being absent from K. Rool's trailer either, as we *just* got Dark Samus today and Ridley had a trailer two months ago. Makes sense to just do another echo unload in a couple months and include her. Here's hoping we complete the DKC quartet!

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
It's reasonable to have expected Dixie together with K Rool... but at the same time I don't think it's necessarily something to worry about yet:

1) If Dixie is unique, she'd surely get her own trailer. I'm not sure any trailer for 4 or Ultimate revealed multiple unique newcomers.

2) If she is an echo (or echo hybrid), we just saw Dark Samus confirmed today instead of alongside Ridley.

I think there's still time for her to come. Whilst I'm happy now that K Rool is in (and won't ask Sakurai for anything again ever) I hope Dixie comes in too. There's never too much DKC!

SlayQueen

Smash Cadet
What if she’s revealed on the Smash Bros site on November 22 - release date of DKC3?

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Somehow I missed K. Rool burying DK and Diddy at the end of his trailer the past 20 times I watched it. Honestly, call me delusional but DK and Diddy being helpless at the end of K. Rool's trailer just seems like the perfect cliffhanger for Dixie's trailer. Time will tell.
What if she’s revealed on the Smash Bros site on November 22 - release date of DKC3?
I doubt that, though they could announce a Direct for November 22. Nothing stopping them, as far as I know.

ZTurtle

Smash Journeyman
Somehow I missed K. Rool burying DK and Diddy at the end of his trailer the past 20 times I watched it. Honestly, call me delusional but DK and Diddy being helpless at the end of K. Rool's trailer just seems like the perfect cliffhanger for Dixie's trailer. Time will tell.

I doubt that, though they could announce a Direct for November 22. Nothing stopping them, as far as I know.
Y'know, you might be onto something... when I think about it, it is kinda weird that they had that random gameplay clip of K. Rool at the very end after the Smash Bros logo. If there was a post-logo scene in the reveal trailers, usually it would be an fun little extra CGI scene, like Kirby dancing with Luma. The only time there was gameplay footage at the very end was in Megaman's trailer to reveal Yellow Devil, the Robin/Lucina trailer to reveal Robin's Final Smash and Female Robin, Ryu's trailer to show off the Heihachi costume, and Cloud's to show off the Chocobo costumes.

The gameplay clip at the end of K. Rool's trailer reveals... that he has a stomp that buries enemies. Sure, it's also a reference to K. Rool pretending to be beaten in DKC1 but then getting right up, but still, it seems kind of insignificant and arbitrary to stick in at the end like that when it could have fit in just as well in the actual meat of the trailer.

Aside from Richter, who's a third party and probably planned at the same time as Simon, all the new Echoes don't have any CGI reveal trailers, just some gameplay footage to introduce them. And DK and Diddy being buried by a giant K. Rool in gameplay footage certainly does seem like the perfect way to bring in Dixie, so the placement of that clip would make a whole lot more sense...

Though of course if Dixie's an Echo, then she needs to at least have Spinning Kong as an Up B. Preferably some alternate animations featuring her hair too.

Last edited:

Dan

Smash Lord
Maybe next Direct DK will get the same love Metroid has gotten and Dixie will be a hybird-Echo; I thought she was more popular than Dark Samus, and the fact she made it to the Forbidden Seven is a huge plus as well.

Dixie Kong

Smash Ace
I think Klaptrap being an assist trophy and not Dixie is very telling. Although I wish Lanky Kong was the assist trophy. (I love Klaptrap, but he's already in a stage)

Dan

Smash Lord
Dixie Kong Dixie Kong Since you're here, can you spill the beans if you're in the game? And if Sakurai actually put you in Brawl? I mean, people complemented me that it took till 2013 for someone to take the name "Dan". :laugh:

VeemonTamer

Cyber Sleuth
NNID
VeemonTamer
Dixie Kong Dixie Kong Since you're here, can you spill the beans if you're in the game? And if Sakurai actually put you in Brawl?
Dang you really out here trying to get Dixie disqualified from the game. Nintendo is very strict with non-disclosure agreements. She isn't allowed to say. We just have to wait and see.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
With Chrom and Dark Samus showing that Echoes can have unique moves (which I don't understand why it was ever a debate since they can have different Final Smash animations anyway) and altered animations, I think Dixie is about as close to confirmed as possible.

TheTreasonousSnowmad

Smash Journeyman
I think Klaptrap being an assist trophy and not Dixie is very telling. Although I wish Lanky Kong was the assist trophy. (I love Klaptrap, but he's already in a stage)
This is a reasonable deduction. With the way Sakurai decided to throw a bone to Shovel Knight fans, it seems Dixie would be an assist trophy if she wasn't a fighter.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Just coming in to say that with the current state of Smash, Dixie is to me THE ONE Nintendo All-Star that's really missing, and the one character I still really want. If she's in, this game is essentially the perfect roster for me.

And with Chrom being such a Roy-Ike hybrid, I have even more hope she's in there.

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
After giving myself some (but probably not enough) time to mull it over, let's talk about echo possibilities.

With Chrom, we can see that echoes can take from sources other than the character they are based on. Unsurprisingly, this is leading many to believe that Dixie will be an echo of Diddy with at least one move taken from Donkey, notably up b. However...I do wonder if that actually makes sense.

I'm not questioning if it would make sense for Dixie to perform those attacks. That's fine. But is it really so simple? Even with Chrom, the animation for Aether is still completely the same. Dixie, though, is notably smaller than Donkey, and she'd be using a different body part for the attacks. It's not a matter of just copy-pasting the same animation to a different model...is it? I'm no animator, but this seems like more work than echoes are supposed to involve. And of course, there's still the question of why she wasn't revealed here. We're also missing a few DK stages (Rumble Falls, Jungle Hijinx) and haven't seen a new one yet...but Ridley didn't come with a new stage, either, and I really doubt we're getting another unique Metroid rep.

I'm certainly not ruling out the possibility any longer, though. Even if one or two moves need to be redone entirely, they could still consider her an echo fighter (though I would then wonder why Dr. Mario isn't an echo). As long as she uses her hair I think I'll be happy to see her in, but I'd really rather not have her as an echo regardless, mainly because I just don't like Diddy's moveset much.

cephalopod17

Smash Ace
NNID
cephalopod17
I've always wanted K. Rool more than Dixie and I'm ecstatic for his inclusion, but Dixie should get in too. It would be like having Mario, Luigi, and Bowser, but not Peach. Given that Metroid got two newcomers, the popular reptilian pirate Ridley and Dark Samus as an echo, I could easily see us getting the popular reptilian pirate K. Rool and the also popular Dixie, although she might be an echo like Chrom. Hopefully when the game launches in December we'll have the Kong Trio and the Kremling King.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
I hated the idea of a Dixie echo, but after seeing Chrom I’m down with it. As long as she uses her hair as her up-B and has some other cosmetic changes (bubblegum gun, different final smash, etc.)

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Dixie's up B could be a modified version of DK's Up B

That make her more or less a perfect Echo that matches the character fairly well

cybersai

Smash Ace
I'm very confident Dixie will get in to the point where I will be shocked if she doesn't. She's obviously not an Assist and she can be a hybrid echo of DK/Diddy.

Also Diddy's tail-whip attack combo was removed in Ultimate which makes it more likely it's because Dixie has no tail and will be loosely based on him. The fact that in DKC:TF she uses a bubblegum gun in a canon game makes it an easy replacement for the peanut gun.

Then just have her twirl with her hair like DK's arm spin. I think she could get a unique throw with her hair, maybe.

Gameguy1996

Smash Apprentice
Dixie Kong is my most wanted character for this game. While I would rather see her be more of a semi-clone I feel like there not making one of those this time around sadly. So I would be fine with her being an echo if she uses some of her hair in a way even if I don't think she really makes sense as an echo fighter.

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
Was thinking of ways that would properly represent her as an echo:
-Her normals are all the same as Diddy's, but her smash attacks do less damage and kill later than his
-Dixie has a zair, tether recovery, and a tether grab
-DKC2 dash attack animation, still multihit with similar damage to Diddy's cartwheel
-Her throws have different animations that use her hair, fthrow is changed to have similar knockback properties to Diddy's fsmash, bthrow is slightly stronger
-Monkey Flip kick does less damage/knockback, grab does more damage
-Up B similar to DK, more height gained
-Bubblegum Popgun on Neutral B
-Guitar FS

Last edited:

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
You know, people bring up the Up B from DK for Dixie's hair spin, but she can also have her own variation of DK's grab with her hair.

Crepuscular

Smash Rookie
I had to join to voice my support for Dixie, lol. She's been my most wanted newcomer since pre-Brawl, and with some of the newcomers we've gotten confirmed lately (Ridley, K. Rool etc.) she is honestly the ONE AND ONLY character that I still feel like *absolutely* has to be there. She is the last glaring omission IMO and honestly if she gets confirmed the roster is satisfactory to me forever.

Strong DK

Smash Apprentice
I'm here to show my support to Dixie too. I'm a long-time DKC series fan and i think it's about time to Dixie make it in too.
I'm already happy that my favourite final boss had his finest hour yesterday but there can't be never too much DK content ;)

StormC

Smash Hero
Should go without saying I'm still pulling for Dixie. While K. Rool brought me to literal tears, the DK representation won't feel quite complete without her.

I am sure she will still show up. Don't lose hope yet.

Reila

Should go without saying I'm still pulling for Dixie. While K. Rool brought me to literal tears, the DK representation won't feel quite complete without her.

I am sure she will still show up. Don't lose hope yet.
She will. Honestly, after seeing the final tidbit of K. Rool's trailer — and I know I might be setting myself up for disappointment — I am expecting her to show up next time. There is no reason for that tidbit with K. Rool burying the kongs otherwise (and it is honestly nothing like the Kredits fake out from DKC1).

Of course, it is not confirmed until it happens but I am confident and I haven't been confident about a fighter getting in so far (Smash 4 traumatized me :p).

RayaGRH

Smash Apprentice
New signature with Dixie front and centre. She is way overdue, and no Smash game will ever truly feel complete to me without her in it. She is a Nintendo All-Star, through and through.

slambros

Smash Ace
Dixie may not have been added as an Echo because Nintendo may know that she is a semi-clone, and that revealing her with K. Rool could give viewers the wrong impression at the end of a direct when there is no voice-over explanation.

paperosbronzo90

Smash Cadet
She will. Honestly, after seeing the final tidbit of K. Rool's trailer — and I know I might be setting myself up for disappointment — I am expecting her to show up next time. There is no reason for that tidbit with K. Rool burying the kongs otherwise (and it is honestly nothing like the Kredits fake out from DKC1).
In the final scene there's also Cranky in the house… What if we get Cranky instead of Dixie?

Reila

In the final scene there's also Cranky in the house… What if we get Cranky instead of Dixie?
That would be a huge disservice to the DK fanbase. Not that Cranky isn't liked (I like him), but people have been asking for K. Rool and Dixie, not K. Rool and Cranky. Anyways, my point stands. DK and Diddy being helpless should hint at Dixie, if anyone, since that mirrors what happens in DKC3 (DK and Diddy are kidnapped, Dixie saves the day).

Last edited:

Apollo500

Smash Journeyman
Like a lot of people, I feel a lot more optimistic about the idea of Dixie as an Echo after yesterday's Direct. I always thought Dixie being relegated to being an Echo would be a terrible idea, but Chrom is a gamechanger. So I'm a lot more in favour of her getting in as an Echo now. I still think she'd be better as a unique fighter, but with everything else they're doing, an Echo is the most reasonable way for her to get in, and she deserves her chance to shine at last.

Reila

Like a lot of people, I feel a lot more optimistic about the idea of Dixie as an Echo after yesterday's Direct. I always thought Dixie being relegated to being an Echo would be a terrible idea, but Chrom is a gamechanger. So I'm a lot more in favour of her getting in as an Echo now. I still think she'd be better as a unique fighter, but with everything else they're doing, an Echo is the most reasonable way for her to get in, and she deserves her chance to shine at last.
There is nothing reasonable about Dixie being an echo fighter. Is it a possibility? Yes. Is it reasonable? No.

Top Bottom