• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I would rather have another side scrolling platformer. The DK series works better this way.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Exploration would also go really well with Donkey Kong Country, think of DK64, but being as big as it SHOULD be. DK Island is huge, has lot of different enviorments and potential wild life based on them and it just would work well. I guess a little more linearity than Zelda BotW would be appropriate, and I doubt an island should be as big as a full country as Hyrule, but you get my point.
Just as long as there's no arbitrariness in the standard pick ups (i.e. if nanners are lying on the ground anyone can pick them up) then DK64 2 with modern game conventions could work really well.

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
Also if you beat the game with all KONG letters collected, you will unlock hard mode, where you can choose to play as diddy, Dixie, cranky or funky. All solo
The fact that I have to beat the game for this kind of kills it for me. Why can't I play who I want from the start? I enjoyed the game enough on Wii U, but not enough to play it a second time, and most definitely not enough to play it a third time.

SeashoreWar

Smash Journeyman
In the Wii U version you could set up the game for multiplayer, kill off DK then use the Kong you picked for second player. That's how I did my first playthrough, solo Dixie. I'm sure you can do it in the Switch version as well.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I'd love to see them do a game similar to DK64 but done right, 3D platformers are getting big again so I see no reason they shouldn't try it out. As long as kong switching is kept and I can play as Dixie I'm good!

Reila

I'd be down with a linear 3D Platformer with seamless sidescrolling segments. Like Crash Bandicoot (which DKC in the 90s inspired).
It could be fun if done well. Crash Bandicoot 3 is one of my favorite 3D platformers.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
One reassuring thing, Dixie Kong was originally supposed to be a swapping duo with Diddy but, logically, had a different moveset. There's not confirmation on that but what would be the point of swapping if she played the exact same and had the same damage percentage after all.

Point I'm getting at is, Dixie may have a half finished moveset lying around somewhere in the archives.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
She survived the first wave of deconfirmations which says a lot considering the Thanos-level wipeout. Time will tell her fate soon enough.

Also, to the 3 users who voiced their support, I will add y'all to the list soon.

Reila

One reassuring thing, Dixie Kong was originally supposed to be a swapping duo with Diddy but, logically, had a different moveset. There's not confirmation on that but what would be the point of swapping if she played the exact same and had the same damage percentage after all.

Point I'm getting at is, Dixie may have a half finished moveset lying around somewhere in the archives.
Yeah. I brought that up in the previous page, I think. Devs don't usually throw away code and ideas, unless you are SEGA (long story), so it is likely they still have or had the concept for the Diddy/Dixie tag team around.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Guys, seriously.. We need to stop these Dixie Echo bandwagonists.

What are we gonna do about them to combat this terrible idea?

We need strategy people :ultrobin

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Guys, seriously.. We need to stop these Dixie Echo bandwagonists.

What are we gonna do about them to combat this terrible idea?

We need strategy people :ultrobin
Honestly the introduction of echoes are so weird, not many were claiming Dixie has to be a clone before echoes became a thing, but now it's suddenly all the rage.

Bodacious66

Smash Cadet
Whether Dixie is unique, echo, or not in the game at all has already been decided by Sakurai at this point. No amount of public opinion will make any difference.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Chrom / Ike is also quite possible. Even hinted at in Smash 4 with the Palutena codecs.

Dixie as a semi-clone could work. And we have Retro to blame for that by giving her that Bubblegum Popgun. In general am not a fan of Retro's partner system, so that comment that a new DK team has been established is a great sign for better things to come for me.

I gotta admit that I kinda neglected Tropical Freeze since I started my Breath of the Wild play through. I like the game, but am more of a Rare DKC purist. With that being said, I should really try to figure out how to put the SNES DKC games on my 3DS.
You can get them if you've got a New 3DS.

Whether Dixie is unique, echo, or not in the game at all has already been decided by Sakurai at this point. No amount of public opinion will make any difference.
Except for DLC

Last edited:

Reila

Except for DLC
We don't know if there will be DLC this time around. The "not a lot of new challengers" statement should at least make one careful when hoping for such.

Last edited:

SirCamp

Smash Ace
Honestly the introduction of echoes are so weird, not many were claiming Dixie has to be a clone before echoes became a thing, but now it's suddenly all the rage.
It's not really that, so much as echoes exist along side the idea that there aren't many newcomers. It makes me feel like they're going to try and shoehorn as many characters into echoes as they can get away with so they can make fewer all new characters. And, while I don't think it has to be or should be that way, it's possible they could do that to Dixie. I'm not even sure anymore if I actually think it's going to happen or not, but I can certainly see why people would think that way.

But really I hope she isn't. Cuz it would be fairly ridiculous.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Problem is we all fought back against the "LOL, Diddy clone" mentality a while ago with all those movesets and then some. Then the Echoes got introduced and it was like our fan ideas didn't mean a thing, cuz not only did Sakurai re-brand the straight-up clones, he gave us an all new one. Now that we know he's cool with Lucina-level clones, plus the fact that new fighters will be limited AND he's doing fanservice, we got a situation that looks good for K. Rool (MASSIVE popularity) and bad for Dixie. DK would be best with 4 characters, but if pressed for space/time Sakurai would likely take the most popular (for space) and if he felt like it throw Dixie in as an Echo (time). That's bittersweet, and I only want Dixie in if she's NOT a 1:1 clone of Diddy; and I'm not talking slight variations either. Wolf-Level is great and wholly unique is outstanding.

Throughout Dixie's support lifespan she's run into 4 problems:
1) Irrelevant; hasn't been in a main game since DKC3, which was least popular.
2) Should only get in if paired with Diddy. That's how it was in DKC2. Monkey Ice Climbers FTW!
3) K. Rool's more popular, so just go with him and don't let her interfere.
4) Look at her she's Diddy in drag! Clearly she'd just be a clone!

We actually defeated all of those obstacles; Dixie reemerged with Tropical Freeze and was the number 1 Kong; Diddy got in solo and stayed solo; the Dixie and K. Rool fanbases stopped fighting AND we cooked up a nice cluster of diverse non-clone movesets. Nintendo's knocked out 2/4 and we handled the rest, but one got resurrected.

We can knock this down again; point to Bowser Jr for obvious clone candidates; detail what Dixie can do and does compared to her friends as well as what the other Kongs can't and don't do; point out that other series with less renown have more characters in the game and that 2 slots shouldn't be a big problem for DK. And if we do settle for a clone steer in the Wolf/Lucas direction rather than the Lucina type.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Dixie without use of her signature ponytail is not Dixie. That is why I feel an Echo fighter situation is the worst outcome. I could put up with semi clone to the level of Wolf or Falco but a straight up Echo is not a good idea. Seen a lot of popular Youtubers suggesting Dixie as a Diddy Echo, and been explaining why that doesn't work for her.

Not sure if those arguing for it have never played or even seen Dixie in action before but it's bizarre how many seem to think she'd be fine as just an Echo.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Dixie without use of her signature ponytail is not Dixie. That is why I feel an Echo fighter situation is the worst outcome. I could put up with semi clone to the level of Wolf or Falco but a straight up Echo is not a good idea. Seen a lot of popular Youtubers suggesting Dixie as a Diddy Echo, and been explaining why that doesn't work for her.

Not sure if those arguing for it have never played or even seen Dixie in action before but it's bizarre how many seem to think she'd be fine as just an Echo.
Most people from my experience only know DK and Diddy.

Marcello691

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 0035 6389 6608
I still find it funny that Sakurai ignored the dk series that much, Dixie Kong's double trouble sold almost 4mil copies and almost 2mil was in japan. It's the only western developed series to top the 1mil in japan, this is impressive. Believe me, there are many people who not only know dk and diddy but also k.rool and dixie. Everyone I grew up with who owned a snes and plays smash is wondering why the dk series has almost no representation in smash.
I would really love to see someone of the known competitive players who may gets a chance to talk to Sakurai to ask him why he is ignoring the dk series...
What do you think his answer would look like???

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I still find it funny that Sakurai ignored the dk series that much, Dixie Kong's double trouble sold almost 4mil copies and almost 2mil was in japan. It's the only western developed series to top the 1mil in japan, this is impressive. Believe me, there are many people who not only know dk and diddy but also k.rool and dixie. Everyone I grew up with who owned a snes and plays smash is wondering why the dk series has almost no representation in smash.
I would really love to see someone of the known competitive players who may gets a chance to talk to Sakurai to ask him why he is ignoring the dk series...
What do you think his answer would look like???
It just comes down to relevance I suppose, the DK series was practically dead until returns came back around, and returns offered little in terms of possible playable representation.

Last edited:

ZTurtle

Smash Journeyman
You can add me to the list of supporters. If I had to choose one DK rep, it would be K. Rool to be honest, but I think that Dixie very much deserves a spot on the roster, it just wouldn't feel quite complete without her. Here's hoping that both can make the cut.

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
I've had time to think it over away from my initial reactions to Diddy's jab change, and I realized that my logic of this being an indicator of Dixie being an Echo is flawed for one major reason:

Sakurai would need to have changed Diddy's jab for the sole purpose of making Dixie a complete 1-to-1 clone in order to satisfy the definition of an Echo Fighter. The Echo Fighters are labeled as such because they are 1-to-1 moveset clones derived from their source character. Why would Sakurai go through the effort to change an existing character just to fit their derivative into a specific category? This seems very unnecessary.

After that, we're back to where we started before Echo Fighters were announced, and it's looking better since she survived the casualties of E3. Dixie may be slightly easier to Echo now, but Diddy's jab change is very likely not a result of Dixie being an Echo. At this point, I think she's unique/a semi-clone or just not in the game at all. The latter being less likely imo, given her popularity and relevance.

Last edited:

Reila

You can add me to the list of supporters. If I had to choose one DK rep, it would be K. Rool to be honest, but I think that Dixie very much deserves a spot on the roster, it just wouldn't feel quite complete without her. Here's hoping that both can make the cut.
Someone likes big reptiles.

But yeah, both would be the ideal scenario. Let the DK series shine in Smash at least once, Sakurai.

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I've had time to think it over away from my initial reactions to Diddy's jab change, and I realized that my logic of this being an indicator of Dixie being an Echo is flawed for one major reason:

Sakurai would need to have changed Diddy's jab for the sole purpose of making Dixie a complete 1-to-1 clone in order to satisfy the definition of an Echo Fighter. The Echo Fighters are labeled as such because they are 1-to-1 moveset clones derived from their source character. Why would Sakurai go through the effort to change an existing character just to fit their derivative into a specific category? This seems very unnecessary.

After that, we're back to where we started before Echo Fighters were announced, and it's looking better since she survived the casualties of E3. Dixie may be slightly easier to Echo now, but Diddy's jab change is very likely not a result of Dixie being an Echo. At this point, I think she's unique/a semi-clone or just not in the game at all. The latter being less likely imo, given her popularity and relevance.
Honestly though, Dixie is significantly more requested than daisy, if she is an echo fighter why would they not reveal her alongside the concept of echo fighters instead of daisy?

Regardless I'm sure Dixie and K Rool can both be in as unique characters and coexist. For one, Sakurai doesn't really think in terms of reps, he won't not add one of them if he considers both worthy just because they're both DK characters, especially since they're both extremely different. And also they'd be getting in due to entirely different reasons, K Rool because he's a heavily requested character and Dixie because she represents Tropical Freeze which was majorly successful for a Wii U game, and it's not like Dixie is unpopular at all, she's gotta be in at least the top 15 most wanted characters. Both would make unique characters, both characters support bases have been strong since brawl and both have their reasons for being added.

And I have faith in sakurai and his dedication to making sure characters are properly represented to not ignore Dixie's main weapon and the big thing that separates her from the rest of the kongs.

Last edited:

ZTurtle

Smash Journeyman
Someone likes big reptiles.
Heh, what can I say?
neat.jpg

Regardless I'm sure Dixie and K Rool can both be in as unique characters and coexist. For one, Sakurai doesn't really think in terms of reps, he won't not add one of them if he considers both worthy just because they're both DK characters, especially since they're both extremely different. And also they'd be getting in due to entirely different reasons, K Rool because he's a heavily requested character and Dixie because she represents Tropical Freeze which was majorly successful for a Wii U game, and it's not like Dixie is unpopular at all, she's gotta be in at least the top 15 most wanted characters. Both would make unique characters, both characters support bases have been strong since brawl and both have their reasons for being added.
Y'know I never actually thought about it that way. I guess I was a little worried that he would be hesitant to add in two fighters from the same franchise because of the (alleged) smaller number of newcomers in this game, and he seems to want to please the biggest amount of fans possible this time around. Now I'm getting a bit optimistic for both of them haha.

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Heh, what can I say?
View attachment 149170

Y'know I never actually thought about it that way. I guess I was a little worried that he would be hesitant to add in two fighters from the same franchise considering the alleged smaller number of newcomers in this game. Now I'm getting a bit optimistic for both of them haha.
yeah, DK's kinda gotten the shaft since brawl anyway, there's no better time to make up for that than now, and honestly we're running low on potential newcomers and both Dixie and K Rool stand out among the potential options as well.

Reila

They sure are, mate. Just not as neat as octopuses for me.
and honestly we're running low on potential newcomers
I agree. That said, every time I raise this point, people disagree with me while mentioning whatishisname from Xenoblade 2, Elma from Xenoblade X (honestly, I would love her in Smash, I just don't see it happening) and a bunch of character most people never heard of as "potential newcomers". Like, if this was Smash 4, I would agree that some random characters could be added for marketing, like Corrin was, but that just doesn't seem to be the focus on Smash Ultimate so far. The focus here seem to please the fans, and adding characters people have been asking for since forever is a good way to do that.

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
They sure are, mate. Just not as neat as octopuses for me.

I agree. That said, every time I raise this point, people disagree with me while mentioning whatishisname from Xenoblade 2, Elma from Xenoblade X (honestly, I would love her in Smash, I just don't see it happening) and a bunch of character most people never heard of as "potential newcomers". Like, if this was Smash 4, I would agree that some random characters could be added for marketing, like Corrin was, but that just doesn't seem to be the focus on Smash Ultimate so far. The focus here seem to please the fans, and adding characters people have been asking for since forever is a good way to do that.
I could see Elma happening, Xenoblade X was one of few major games on the wii u and there's almost definitely plans to continue the series, while this game is definitely to please the fans I could see one or two characters chosen out of relevancy, especially if they offer unique moveset potential which elma does. That said I don't see Rex happening, people expecting characters from games post-2016 are reaching.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Fully behind Dixie and support her. I don’t like K. Rool so I wouldn’t mind other reps instead of him.

As far as the echo part goes, I think if it had to come to that we’d see a luigified clone at most. There’s too much there to not add some different moves.

I honestly think we will get Dk jr as an echo of Dk, a small speedy version of that move set seems plausible rather than to mirror Dixie from diddy. Retro Dk rep and echo all in one

Last edited:

Reila

I could see Elma happening, Xenoblade X was one of few major games on the wii u and there's almost definitely plans to continue the series, while this game is definitely to please the fans I could see one or two characters chosen out of relevancy, especially if they offer unique moveset potential which elma does. That said I don't see Rex happening, people expecting characters from games post-2016 are reaching.
The reason I don't see Elma happening is because while Xenoblade X was a huge title for the Wii U, it was... On the Wii U and it didn't sell as well as Nintendo expected (most likely because it was on the Wii U, as it is a great game). Splatoon got "lucky" because it not only sold well (for a Wii U title), it also became a big, popular title in the internet.

That said, you do raise a good point. The roster was decided a few years ago, so maybe at the time, adding Elma to the roster seemed like a wise decision. Ignoring the not so good sales numbers of Xenoblade X, the fact Xenoblade 2 (sadly) exists shows that they wanted to keep the IP alive and adding another Xenoblade rep to Smash Bros would certainly help in that goal. I would be pleased with her addition, that is for sure.
I honestly think we will get Dk jr as an echo of Dk, a small speedy version of that move set seems plausible rather than to mirror Dixie from diddy. Retro Dk rep and echo all in one
What about Funky instead of DK Jr.?

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
The reason I don't see Elma happening is because while Xenoblade X was a huge title for the Wii U, it was... On the Wii U and it didn't sell as well as Nintendo expected (most likely because it was on the Wii U, as it is a great game). Splatoon got "lucky" because it not only sold well (for a Wii U title), it also became a big, popular title in the internet.

That said, you do raise a good point. The roster was decided a few years ago, so maybe at the time, adding Elma to the roster seemed like a wise decision. Ignoring the not so good sales numbers of Xenoblade X, the fact Xenoblade 2 (sadly) exists shows that they wanted to keep the IP alive and adding another Xenoblade rep to Smash Bros would certainly help in that goal. I would be pleased with her addition, that is for sure.

What about Funky instead of DK Jr.?
Funky would make sense as a last minute clone because of the tropical freeze port, just give him some funky idles and taunts with his surfboard

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
We don't know if there will be DLC this time around. The "not a lot of new challengers" statement should at least make one careful when hoping for such.
DLC is a certainty whether Sakurai is involved or not. Nintendo is a business first and foremost, DLC will sell very well and continue to keep the game selling after launch.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
DLC will be interesting as there's no veteran clones for easy porting (notice how Lucas had less differences from Ness than he did previously) so they'll need to bring in newcomers or have a lot of 3rd parties in the wings.

Reila

DLC is a certainty whether Sakurai is involved or not. Nintendo is a business first and foremost, DLC will sell very well and continue to keep the game selling after launch.
It is not a certainty until happens. You or I can't predict the future.

I can hop in the "DLC is a certainty" train but with a little addendum: Not necessarily newcomers. Maybe the story mode people ask so much for.

Last edited:

Reila

So since this is basically a DK social of sorts: I started playing Tropical Freeze for good. Like I mentioned before, I played a bit of it in the past, but couldn't play the whole game because of reasons. I already know a bunch of things about it, like some levels, bosses and the whole soundtrack (I couldn't wait, I had to listen to new David Wise music). Still, that doesn't beat actually experiencing the game.

I beat the first boss a few minutes ago and it was incredibly fun. While I still think the Retro Studios DKC series lacks in charisma compared to the original series, developed by Rareware, they make up for it with the incredible level design and fun boss battles (I am the kind of weirdo who liked bosses in Returns and yes, even Tiki Tong). But that otter boss? That was something else. Awesome fight with an awesome music.

And then comes the next level. I was waiting for it, but I didn't know when it would come. I was waiting because the song that plays in the level is by far the best in the soundtrack, in my opinion. "Windmill Hills". It is such a nostalgic song, for some reason. It makes me feel good and relaxed, which is something I deeply welcome in my life. The level itself was great, too. I like windmills.

In short, I am enjoying the game.

On a more relevant note, Dixie really is my go-to partner so far. Pogo stick jumping with Cranky is fun. I already knew that from playing Ducktales and Shovel Knight and it is not different here. Diddy is his usual self from Returns. Not bad, nothing special though. Dixie is just more useful and wholesome in general, and I am not the only one who thinks that. If I recall correctly, speedrunners tend to have Dixie as the partner most of the time, too.

Bring this girl to Smash, Sakurai. Please.

Top Bottom