• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

osby

Smash Obsessed
Which is a shame because Dixie is 100x more exciting and deserving than 3rd party JRPG anime character #567 we're probably gonna get. Besides Ryu and Bayonetta have we gotten any DLC characters that arent from JRPGs? Even so they're still lame 3rd party characters.
JRPG DLC newcomers: :ultcorrinf::ultcloud::ultjoker:
non-JRPG DLC newcomers: :ultpiranha::ultryu::ultbayonetta:

Rest of your comment is just subjective vitriol, so not gonna touch it but it's obvious that you are exaggarating the amount of RPG characters we got out of your personal hate.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
JRPG DLC newcomers: :ultcorrinf::ultcloud::ultjoker:
non-JRPG DLC newcomers: :ultpiranha::ultryu::ultbayonetta:

Rest of your comment is just subjective vitriol, so not gonna touch it but it's obvious that you are exaggarating the amount of RPG characters we got out of your personal hate.
I was including Mewtwo, Roy, and Lucas too. All from JRPG franchises. Yeah they werent newcomers but Nintendo still charged money for them back in the day. So yes JRPG as well as 3rd party characters have been the brunt of DLC. Apparently Erdrick (or whatever his name is) is probably coming down the pipeline too. Meh. Glad I didnt buy the fighter pass.

SeashoreWar

Smash Journeyman
Back with another Mario Kart post, this time with Expresso and Professor Chops! I should have the next set pretty soon.

GillyGrime

Smash Journeyman
Gutted at the lack of Dixie Kong support. Seeing some of the fighters who got more votes just baffles me. I get that people are more geared towards 3rd parties this time but damn, to barely scrape top 10 first party characters is astounding in my opinion. I still have faith in her inclusion down the line, but damn...

Snorkel the dolphin

Cetacean Gamer
Switch FC
SW 6666 6666 6666
I don't ever want to see Professor Chops again. To me, he's not canon; he is a worthless ****ed pig creature that means nothing to me. That being said, I like your Mario Kart posts, and seeing the animal buddies is always a pleasure. Here's hoping they add Dixie Kong into Smash.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I don't ever want to see Professor Chops again. To me, he's not canon; he is a worthless ****ed pig creature that means nothing to me. That being said, I like your Mario Kart posts, and seeing the animal buddies is always a pleasure. Here's hoping they add Dixie Kong into Smash.
Professor Chops is good actually. His name is a classic Nintendo pun (an improvement from DKC Returns, where he was just called "Tutorial Pig") and the noise he makes when you pass his checkpoint is always a relief to hear.

In fact...HE should be the next Animal Buddy. imho of course. His ability could be...actually I got nothin'.

But yeah I'd also like another Animal Buddy back, like Engarde or Squitter.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Professor Chops is good actually. His name is a classic Nintendo pun (an improvement from DKC Returns, where he was just called "Tutorial Pig") and the noise he makes when you pass his checkpoint is always a relief to hear.

In fact...HE should be the next Animal Buddy. imho of course. His ability could be...actually I got nothin'.

But yeah I'd also like another Animal Buddy back, like Engarde or Squitter.
His ability would be to make a checkpoint wherever you want, breaking the game.

Yeah, got nothing either.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I'm not that big of a fan of him either, Something about him just doesn't sit right with me, maybe it's design, He's like that wierd random annoying character that came out of no where and is pretty much Donkey Kong Country's version of Nabbit from New Super Mario Bros.

Last edited:

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
He doesn't fit the art style of the animal buddies. Cook him and eat him, I say. Serve him on a plate and use his flag as a napkin. Worthless pig.

Good art, though!

You know what's sad, I was thinking that there is no good pig character in Donkey Kong island. Professor Chops was eaten at the beginning of this post. And it wasn't very filling. He doesn't look like a DK character.

The Pig from DK64 is horrible. Why was that even a thing.

Pigs from DK Land are ill-fitting somewhat, but maybe that's the point. They are OK. But not good

I believe WizPig is highly overrated.

Last edited:

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
if you wanna get really really really loose with the definition of a donkey kong character, you could make a case for pigma dengar.

tricky the triceratops appears in diddy kong racing as well as star fox assault alongside pigma. you cant prove its not the same triceratops. people have tried.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Speaking of pigs in the Donkey Kong Universe what about the ones from Jolly Roger's Lagoon in Banjo-Tooie?

Who can forget Chris P. Bacon and his British swimtrunks ? or the one that was mutating and growing a "Third leg".

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Good point. It still makes me sad that not as many people are rallying behind Dixie in online spaces as I would have liked to think, though.
I think that will change in Smash 6 because K. Rool didn't become popular until the pre-Smash 4 speculation period which was sometime after Diddy got in. Had Diddy never gotten in Smash before the Ballot, all or at least most of K. Rool's votes in the Smash Ballot would have went to Diddy instead. Now that K. Rool is in, DK fans are satisfied and relaxed at the moment. But when Smash 6 comes around, a lot of those same people that supported Diddy during pre-Brawl and K. Rool during Smash 4 and pre-Ultimate are going to be hungry for Dixie. A lot of DK fans will rally behind Dixie at some point in the future, especially if Banjo & Kazooie get in the series during Ultimate's DLC cycle.

Ed-boy

Smash Journeyman
I'm not that big of a fan of him either, Something about him just doesn't sit right with me, maybe it's design, He's like that wierd random annoying character that came out of no where and is pretty much Donkey Kong Country's version of Nabbit from New Super Mario Bros.
Indeed a very "eh" character in the grand scheme of it all, should've just used the Jungle Beat capuchins IMO. (I would've agreed with the Nabbit parallel, if not for the fact I actually like Nabbit.)

SuperJumpmon64

Smash Cadet
I wish we would get a Diddy Kong Racing 2....or if there is a Mario Kart 9, I hope they would not only bring back the older racers, but also bring some others into it, like the Kong family, King K Rool, and possibly Zelda.

EDIT: Also, I didn't mind Prof. Chops. I found him to be....okay. Good for check points, and Super Guides in Returns.

Last edited:
Sharing some amazing work a Youtuber by the name of Jammin' Sam Miller is doing by restoring the Donkey Kong Country trilogy soundtracks pretty much from scratch. Doing God's work for our ears! Check out his channel for examples and further info.

Some DKC2 and DKC3 favourites:

Snakey Chantey:

Jib Jig:

Big Boss Blues:

Funky's DKC2 theme:

Rockface Rumble:

Stickerbush Symphony:

Glorious!

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Some people made some Japanese rap about DKC.

It goes hard, has a verse that includes Gnawty the beaver.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Also I found more evidence that DK pigs are bad.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So I just finished DKC3 for the first time the other day, and I had a blast. Besides DK and Diddy not having a playable presence in this game along with Kiddy being the worst Kong ever replacing them for this game, I don't see why this game get's so much hate and get's overlooked.

This game had some of the best level designs, mechanics, and bosses in the series. It is a gem that every DK and platforming fan should play at least once.

Last edited:

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
dkc3 has some genius level design, as well as some really nice looking environments. it gets underappreciated because it has to live in dkc2's shadow but there really is some brilliance here that people are missing out on.

and you know what, i appreciate kiddy kong for what he is: a sidekick that was specifically made to compliment dixie without overshadowing her (also his grown-man scream is amusing)

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Kiddy is a large ugly mess of a baby, but I think that's endearing. compared to troff from DK64, which is just a large ugly mess of a pig that is not endearing at all.

I also like Kiddy raising his "eyebrows".

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I wish we would get a Diddy Kong Racing 2....or if there is a Mario Kart 9, I hope they would not only bring back the older racers, but also bring some others into it, like the Kong family, King K Rool, and possibly Zelda.

EDIT: Also, I didn't mind Prof. Chops. I found him to be....okay. Good for check points, and Super Guides in Returns.
Same here... I want to see another game with Pipsy in it.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Yikes.

SSBU News has released their unofficial ballot results (Document of Top 85), and Dixie has fallen all the way to 39th place. For reference, their ballot results before Ultimate's release had Dixie at 16th place, enough to make the official tweet (which included the Top 18). This poll doesn't even count ATs like Waluigi, Shadow, or Isaac, some of which were higher than Dixie the first time.

I'd say this is because people think the DLC will be all 3rd Parties and from non-represented franchises, but several 1st parties from pre-existing franchises scored pretty high.

It seems enthusiasm has dropped to an all time low....:crying::crying::crying::crying:

If there's one silver lining, it's that DLC characters like Joker, PP, Corrin, and Bayonetta never exactly topped fan polls when they were picked either. At the end of the day, this is purely symbolic and obviously has no actual bearing on what the developers do.
I am barely active here anymore, but I wanted to come back to comment on this. In the past I said Dixie Kong is more popular on certain sites than other's (Dixie Kong is definitely among the Top 10 here on SmashBoards), but this poll shows Dixie Kong might truly be in some dire straits.

As others have pointed out, even if you select for just Nintendo characters, Dixie Kong barely makes it into the Top 10 (literally at number 10). You want to also know to what extent the results are very bad? When Decidueye (whom most of his popularity stemmed from being the character of choice to represent Sun/Moon among the "Smash Bubble") and Toad (who has competition on the poll from Paper Mario and Geno, as well as multiple notable roles in Ultimate) both did better than Dixie Kong.

In general, among younger Nintendo fans, I wonder how many of them realize that Dixie Kong is more than just some ensemble character to DK (her appearances throughout the 2000's was as being part of an ensemble cast).

In Tropical Freeze, unless you play multiplayer mode or unlock hard mode, the other Kongs aside from DK are treated like power ups of sorts. I personally think Dixie Kong is portrayed well in that title from what I have seen, but from people that did not grow up with the DKC trilogy and not familiar with those titles, it is possible she is not distinguished more than Diddy and Cranky (even though she seems to be the most popular support Kong in that title).

Excuses like "Banjo-Kazooie is splitting the DK fanbase)" or "first party characters did not do as well in this poll" are poor damage control for the extent to just how poorly Dixie Kong did in this poll. There are no valid excuses. Dixie Kong might very well be a character people under 25 simply do not know or care about (or at the very least the Smash bubble does not care about).

The sentiment that "Dixie Kong is inevitable guys" is how you get results like this poll.

This kind of stuff is demoralizing. Honestly, if that poll is in any way accurate to how the "Smash bubble" feels about Dixie Kong, then she is in an even worse shape than Roy was (Roy's problem was a bunch of detractors parroting false information against him and him having a quiet, passive fanbase even though he had many supporters).

The sentiment that "oh, Banjo supporters will just flock over to Dixie Kong once he is confirmed" are basically individuals counting their chickens before they hatch. How many of those Banjo fans are bandwagoners (thus would not care for Dixie)? How many have barely any strong experiences with the original SNES DKC trilogy? How many are simply going to leave Smash speculation entirely after Banjo's confirmation (many of them are 25+)?

Dixie Kong was a truly trailblazing character (probably the first truly noticeably female hero in a megahit game), and among the strongest standouts for the DKC trilogy in general. It is a shame that much of the modern Nintendo fanbase does not feel the same (or at least those on social media and reddit).

If Banjo-Kazooie is confirmed four weeks from now, we might find out just how much of the DK/Rare fanbase went over to Banjo and whether they flock over to Dixie Kong next with Banjo finally confirmed. However, if Steve is confirmed instead of Banjo, Dixie Kong might very well be in Banjo's shadow for the next character speculation and support cycle as she was under K. Rool's during pre-Smash 4 and pre-Ultimate.

In general, the results to this poll should be a wake up call to Dixie Kong fans who plan to fight for her inclusion during the next speculation period.

Been a while since I've posted here, but I thought you guys might be interested in this.
Aaronitmar recently made a video discussing a possible echo fighter's pass, and there are certain simians being featured as the first candidates.
I already explained my thoughts on "echo DLC" scenario a few months back. but I have a few additional tidbits to add. If an "echo pass" were to happen, it probably has to be announced next month (because I expect it to only have three echoes). Secondly, of those three echoes, as I explained in that scenario, Dixie Kong would essentially have to compete with most of the roster (and the best echo candidates in general), whereas the other two echo slots would go to the top character row (which would pretty much be a toss up between Funky Kong, Ninten, Mach Rider, or possibly an unorthodox Bandana Dee) and the bottom character row (which has most of Ultimate's non-echo newcomers).

However, if Dixie Kong were to somehow be selected for "an echo pass" she would be the one to sell it as a whole, and I think she would thus get Ken-like attention and differences.

As I said before, I think if DLC echoes are to happen it would be something to announce in the next DLC wave. However, it is still possible they get announced later, but the prospects of such simply get lower.

However, to go back to what I originally said, even if echo DLC were to happen Dixie Kong would essentially be competing with the best echo candidates for a single slot since one slot likely would go to the top character row and one to the bottom character row (I outlined the reasons for why in my echo DLC focused post a few months ago).

Here is a link to the prior post I made if you want to know more of my thoughts on how echo DLC (a scenario with only three echoes as DLC) would probably go down:
https://smashboards.com/threads/the...t-buddies-here-in-spirit.446464/post-23109753

As I said before, Dixie Kong faces incredible competition and her getting in as DLC would take an enormous amount of stars to align (perhaps more than what it took to get Dark Samus in).

So I just finished DKC3 for the first time the other day, and I had a blast. Besides DK and Diddy not having a playable presence in this game along with Kiddy being the worst Kong ever replacing them for this game, I don't see why this game get's so much hate and get's overlooked.

This game had some of the best level designs, mechanics, and bosses in the series. It is a gem that every DK and platforming fan should play at least once.
I have said multiple times that DKC3 at the very least is better than DKC1 in terms of gameplay and level design. In general, it does have some of the best level design of the entire trilogy, and the control is the best. Although Kiddy had a pretty unappealing design, I do like how the abilities of him and Dixie complemented and differed from one another clearly (whereas in DKC2 it was a lot more subtle). DKC3 in general though is among the best platformers for the SNES, and that is very strong praise considering how many masterpiece platformers were made for that console.

Back with another Mario Kart post, this time with Expresso and Professor Chops! I should have the next set pretty soon.

You are really gifted and it is phenomenal to have you as part of the Dixie Kong fanbase.

On a sidenote, I recently finally collected all the spirits and everything else in Ultimate today. Overall, this was the most pleasant title to collect everything for. There was not anything frustrating (see Diskun trophy in Melee, a bunch of stuff in Brawl) or grindy (getting all the stickers in Brawl, getting all the Mii hats in Smash 4 3DS) in Ultimate. I really like the spirits as it gives a little bit of focus to nearly every notable Nintendo title out there. The only conspicuous absence being the StarTropics games (hopefully, an update adds a few spirits from those titles). Ultimate not only celebrates the Smash Bros. series history as a whole, but Nintendo (and gaming as well). The spirit system helps to give a little spotlight to almost every Nintendo character and game out there. The only thing missing is perhaps a little text blurb about each spirit, but I can understand why it was not done (there are over 1,300 of them).

In four weeks, the dreams of many could very well be realized. I think there is a good chance that Banjo-Kazooie will be confirmed at E3. If that is the case, it will be interesting to see what that will mean for Dixie Kong going forward. In the past, I predicted Dixie Kong would get a boost of popularity and attention after K. Rool's confirmation, but unfortunately I ended up being wrong to the extent (she certainly did get a boost, but not to the extent that K. Rool did after Diddy's confirmation or Banjo after K. Rool). I am hoping that many Nintendo and Smash Bros. fans will finally give Dixie Kong the attention she deserves if Banjo-Kazooie is confirmed.

If in the event that Steve is confirmed instead, Dixie Kong might again be in the shadows in terms of character support for the next speculation and support cycle. However, regardless of what happens, keep up the support. Dixie Kong might not be getting the level of support she deserves, but objectively among Nintendo characters she is in a class that very few other characters not already on Ultimate's roster are a part of.

This post may have overall been dour, but I think for many Dixie fans they need to realize that Dixie Kong is going to need just as much a push as K. Rool did. She is a character with history, importance to her franchise, and multiple ways she can be implemented as a fighter in Smash Bros.

The expectation that things will eventually "work out" for Dixie Kong needs to come to an end. I am not sure how many other Dixie Kong fans are feeling that they want to stick around for the next speculation cycle and do character support for the next several years. Many of us skew older (25+) than many other character fanbases, and as such we simply are losing interest in this sort of thing. As Fatmanonice (someone who is now in their 30's) put it (paraphrasing), "its like doing taxes at this point". For Ultimate, it realized nearly every dream I had for Smash Bros. From Ridley finally being added in, Castlevania finally being added in, every single veteran returning, even small touches like Pico having a role beyond a trophy/sticker and Leif (Fire Emblem) making an appearance. Ultimate was a bunch of miracles plain and simple.

Still, I am greedily am hoping for Dixie Kong even though I got far, far more than what I was expecting out of the Switch installment to Smash Bros. a year ago. I know what the Fighter Pass is very likely going to solely consist of (third-parties) yet there is a small part of me holding out for one more miracle.

However, although Dixie Kong will probably not be DLC, I still want to leave something for the Dixie Kong fans who will stay around for the next speculation and character support cycle in the 2020's to use as a template or explain just what Dixie Kong's appeal and worth is. However, even if my words fail to ignite much in the way of support in the future, I think at the very least that enjoying Dixie Kong's source material can do immense worth for her. DKC2, DKC3, and Tropical Freeze are among the pinnacle of the sidescrolling platformer genre, and Dixie Kong was a major focus in all three of them (even in Tropical Freeze, many speak of just how much of a help Dixie Kong is).

For Ridley and Roy in the past, things got really bleak. Ridley was flat out shot down by Sakurai as being "too big", and Roy looked like he might never come back in the face of four Fire Emblem characters (one of them being a Marth clone) and so many popular Brawl veterans also being cut. With Dixie Kong, it looks like she might very well be in the same boat as Toad to which in spite of her impressive resume and legacy, that the "Smash bubble" simply does not care about her or does not have much passion for her. Other hurtful possibilities also loom like Tropical Freeze being the sole DK title for the Switch and/or Banjo-Kazooie not being DLC in Ultimate (of which would make it so that she is again in the shadow of another Rare/DK character).

However, as with Ridley and Roy fans, Dixie Kong fans will have to press on. I do not have the heart or passion to do character support in the 2020's. I can only offer a few kind words and some clarity, nothing more, and I plan to leave entirely after DLC wraps up. Unfortunately, I have not made much progress on my Dixie Kong essay, so it probably will not be posted for a while.

Be prepared for a long fight Dixie Kong fans. While it is possible we might be blessed with one more miracle, however, be prepared for a long fight. This is a character that will need effort and passion just as K. Rool saw and Banjo-Kazooie are seeing.

Even if Banjo-Kazooie is confirmed at E3 2019, still be prepared to fight and support vigorous during the 2020's. The history among Dixie Kong fans has been a belief of "inevitability" which lead to passivity. "Inevitable" that she would find herself on the roster and that the "Smash bubble" would flock to her. While I think Dixie Kong will get a boost in support were Banjo to be confirmed, I do not think it will be as big as many of us will be hoping. Dixie Kong has much available to her make her a popular character. DKC2 and DKC3 are masterpieces (especially try to convince people on the latter, as many people are under the opinion it is "worse" than DKC1), and Tropical Freeze offers a modern context for what she offers.

Time will tell what ultimately happens.

Dixie Kong for Smash

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I am barely active here anymore, but I wanted to come back to comment on this. In the past I said Dixie Kong is more popular on certain sites than other's (Dixie Kong is definitely among the Top 10 here on SmashBoards), but this poll shows Dixie Kong might truly be in some dire straits.

As others have pointed out, even if you select for just Nintendo characters, Dixie Kong barely makes it into the Top 10 (literally at number 10). You want to also know to what extent the results are very bad? When Decidueye (whom most of his popularity stemmed from being the character of choice to represent Sun/Moon among the "Smash Bubble") and Toad (who has competition on the poll from Paper Mario and Geno, as well as multiple notable roles in Ultimate) both did better than Dixie Kong.

In general, among younger Nintendo fans, I wonder how many of them realize that Dixie Kong is more than just some ensemble character to DK (her appearances throughout the 2000's was as being part of an ensemble cast).

In Tropical Freeze, unless you play multiplayer mode or unlock hard mode, the other Kongs aside from DK are treated like power ups of sorts. I personally think Dixie Kong is portrayed well in that title from what I have seen, but from people that did not grow up with the DKC trilogy and not familiar with those titles, it is possible she is not distinguished more than Diddy and Cranky (even though she seems to be the most popular support Kong in that title).

Excuses like "Banjo-Kazooie is splitting the DK fanbase)" or "first party characters did not do as well in this poll" are poor damage control for the extent to just how poorly Dixie Kong did in this poll. There are no valid excuses. Dixie Kong might very well be a character people under 25 simply do not know or care about (or at the very least the Smash bubble does not care about).

The sentiment that "Dixie Kong is inevitable guys" is how you get results like this poll.

This kind of stuff is demoralizing. Honestly, if that poll is in any way accurate to how the "Smash bubble" feels about Dixie Kong, then she is in an even worse shape than Roy was (Roy's problem was a bunch of detractors parroting false information against him and him having a quiet, passive fanbase even though he had many supporters).

The sentiment that "oh, Banjo supporters will just flock over to Dixie Kong once he is confirmed" are basically individuals counting their chickens before they hatch. How many of those Banjo fans are bandwagoners (thus would not care for Dixie)? How many have barely any strong experiences with the original SNES DKC trilogy? How many are simply going to leave Smash speculation entirely after Banjo's confirmation (many of them are 25+)?

Dixie Kong was a truly trailblazing character (probably the first truly noticeably female hero in a megahit game), and among the strongest standouts for the DKC trilogy in general. It is a shame that much of the modern Nintendo fanbase does not feel the same (or at least those on social media and reddit).

If Banjo-Kazooie is confirmed four weeks from now, we might find out just how much of the DK/Rare fanbase went over to Banjo and whether they flock over to Dixie Kong next with Banjo finally confirmed. However, if Steve is confirmed instead of Banjo, Dixie Kong might very well be in Banjo's shadow for the next character speculation and support cycle as she was under K. Rool's during pre-Smash 4 and pre-Ultimate.

In general, the results to this poll should be a wake up call to Dixie Kong fans who plan to fight for her inclusion during the next speculation period.

I already explained my thoughts on "echo DLC" scenario a few months back. but I have a few additional tidbits to add. If an "echo pass" were to happen, it probably has to be announced next month (because I expect it to only have three echoes). Secondly, of those three echoes, as I explained in that scenario, Dixie Kong would essentially have to compete with most of the roster (and the best echo candidates in general), whereas the other two echo slots would go to the top character row (which would pretty much be a toss up between Funky Kong, Ninten, Mach Rider, or possibly an unorthodox Bandana Dee) and the bottom character row (which has most of Ultimate's non-echo newcomers).

However, if Dixie Kong were to somehow be selected for "an echo pass" she would be the one to sell it as a whole, and I think she would thus get Ken-like attention and differences.

As I said before, I think if DLC echoes are to happen it would be something to announce in the next DLC wave. However, it is still possible they get announced later, but the prospects of such simply get lower.

However, to go back to what I originally said, even if echo DLC were to happen Dixie Kong would essentially be competing with the best echo candidates for a single slot since one slot likely would go to the top character row and one to the bottom character row (I outlined the reasons for why in my echo DLC focused post a few months ago).

Here is a link to the prior post I made if you want to know more of my thoughts on how echo DLC (a scenario with only three echoes as DLC) would probably go down:
https://smashboards.com/threads/the...t-buddies-here-in-spirit.446464/post-23109753

As I said before, Dixie Kong faces incredible competition and her getting in as DLC would take an enormous amount of stars to align (perhaps more than what it took to get Dark Samus in).

I have said multiple times that DKC3 at the very least is better than DKC1 in terms of gameplay and level design. In general, it does have some of the best level design of the entire trilogy, and the control is the best. Although Kiddy had a pretty unappealing design, I do like how the abilities of him and Dixie complemented and differed from one another clearly (whereas in DKC2 it was a lot more subtle). DKC3 in general though is among the best platformers for the SNES, and that is very strong praise considering how many masterpiece platformers were made for that console.

You are really gifted and it is phenomenal to have you as part of the Dixie Kong fanbase.

On a sidenote, I recently finally collected all the spirits and everything else in Ultimate today. Overall, this was the most pleasant title to collect everything for. There was not anything frustrating (see Diskun trophy in Melee, a bunch of stuff in Brawl) or grindy (getting all the stickers in Brawl, getting all the Mii hats in Smash 4 3DS) in Ultimate. I really like the spirits as it gives a little bit of focus to nearly every notable Nintendo title out there. The only conspicuous absence being the StarTropics games (hopefully, an update adds a few spirits from those titles). Ultimate not only celebrates the Smash Bros. series history as a whole, but Nintendo (and gaming as well). The spirit system helps to give a little spotlight to almost every Nintendo character and game out there. The only thing missing is perhaps a little text blurb about each spirit, but I can understand why it was not done (there are over 1,300 of them).

In four weeks, the dreams of many could very well be realized. I think there is a good chance that Banjo-Kazooie will be confirmed at E3. If that is the case, it will be interesting to see what that will mean for Dixie Kong going forward. In the past, I predicted Dixie Kong would get a boost of popularity and attention after K. Rool's confirmation, but unfortunately I ended up being wrong to the extent (she certainly did get a boost, but not to the extent that K. Rool did after Diddy's confirmation or Banjo after K. Rool). I am hoping that many Nintendo and Smash Bros. fans will finally give Dixie Kong the attention she deserves if Banjo-Kazooie is confirmed.

If in the event that Steve is confirmed instead, Dixie Kong might again be in the shadows in terms of character support for the next speculation and support cycle. However, regardless of what happens, keep up the support. Dixie Kong might not be getting the level of support she deserves, but objectively among Nintendo characters she is in a class that very few other characters not already on Ultimate's roster are a part of.

This post may have overall been dour, but I think for many Dixie fans they need to realize that Dixie Kong is going to need just as much a push as K. Rool did. She is a character with history, importance to her franchise, and multiple ways she can be implemented as a fighter in Smash Bros.

The expectation that things will eventually "work out" for Dixie Kong needs to come to an end. I am not sure how many other Dixie Kong fans are feeling that they want to stick around for the next speculation cycle and do character support for the next several years. Many of us skew older (25+) than many other character fanbases, and as such we simply are losing interest in this sort of thing. As Fatmanonice (someone who is now in their 30's) put it (paraphrasing), "its like doing taxes at this point". For Ultimate, it realized nearly every dream I had for Smash Bros. From Ridley finally being added in, Castlevania finally being added in, every single veteran returning, even small touches like Pico having a role beyond a trophy/sticker and Leif (Fire Emblem) making an appearance. Ultimate was a bunch of miracles plain and simple.

Still, I am greedily am hoping for Dixie Kong even though I got far, far more than what I was expecting out of the Switch installment to Smash Bros. a year ago. I know what the Fighter Pass is very likely going to solely consist of (third-parties) yet there is a small part of me holding out for one more miracle.

However, although Dixie Kong will probably not be DLC, I still want to leave something for the Dixie Kong fans who will stay around for the next speculation and character support cycle in the 2020's to use as a template or explain just what Dixie Kong's appeal and worth is. However, even if my words fail to ignite much in the way of support in the future, I think at the very least that enjoying Dixie Kong's source material can do immense worth for her. DKC2, DKC3, and Tropical Freeze are among the pinnacle of the sidescrolling platformer genre, and Dixie Kong was a major focus in all three of them (even in Tropical Freeze, many speak of just how much of a help Dixie Kong is).

For Ridley and Roy in the past, things got really bleak. Ridley was flat out shot down by Sakurai as being "too big", and Roy looked like he might never come back in the face of four Fire Emblem characters (one of them being a Marth clone) and so many popular Brawl veterans also being cut. With Dixie Kong, it looks like she might very well be in the same boat as Toad to which in spite of her impressive resume and legacy, that the "Smash bubble" simply does not care about her or does not have much passion for her. Other hurtful possibilities also loom like Tropical Freeze being the sole DK title for the Switch and/or Banjo-Kazooie not being DLC in Ultimate (of which would make it so that she is again in the shadow of another Rare/DK character).

However, as with Ridley and Roy fans, Dixie Kong fans will have to press on. I do not have the heart or passion to do character support in the 2020's. I can only offer a few kind words and some clarity, nothing more, and I plan to leave entirely after DLC wraps up. Unfortunately, I have not made much progress on my Dixie Kong essay, so it probably will not be posted for a while.

Be prepared for a long fight Dixie Kong fans. While it is possible we might be blessed with one more miracle, however, be prepared for a long fight. This is a character that will need effort and passion just as K. Rool saw and Banjo-Kazooie are seeing.

Even if Banjo-Kazooie is confirmed at E3 2019, still be prepared to fight and support vigorous during the 2020's. The history among Dixie Kong fans has been a belief of "inevitability" which lead to passivity. "Inevitable" that she would find herself on the roster and that the "Smash bubble" would flock to her. While I think Dixie Kong will get a boost in support were Banjo to be confirmed, I do not think it will be as big as many of us will be hoping. Dixie Kong has much available to her make her a popular character. DKC2 and DKC3 are masterpieces (especially try to convince people on the latter, as many people are under the opinion it is "worse" than DKC1), and Tropical Freeze offers a modern context for what she offers.

Dixie Kong for Smash
You are right. Dixie is just about the last character I think it’s worth rallying for. Am also 28 right now, and even if the roster of Ultimate Ian beyond expectation thanks to K.Rool, I still think Dixie needs her inclusion to truly fulfill the DKC roster. She’s the perfect addition, and I would settle with a Isabelle type of situation at this point honestly.

That and Diddy’s spiteful recovery nerfs in Ultimate make me long for a Echo that has a better recovery. And that alone would be huge, because it would result in a very different play style, we already see that with Roy and Chrom.

I have very few wishes left for Smash honestly. Mostly I just want Diddy buffed through patches, but as for characters I still wanna hold out for the like of Dixie, Isaac and maybe Impa is a new appearance of her is going to be as hype as Skyward Sword and Hyrule Warriors was. Banjo is also a nice idea, but personally I don’t really think it to be so likely. I’d like to be proven wrong however.

Anyway am looking forward to your essay about Dixie. You where always a great cheerful speculator who was able to analyze any situation with realism, yet was always positive enough to see hope in the situation.

Like you, I probably won’t speculate more after my 30s. Smash has evolved too much for me to care and as long as it got the essentials in character selection, no weird cuts happen, Diddy remains in the game, and the absence of Sakurai in potential future games won’t result in disaster, I’ll just enjoy the games for what they are worth.

Justin Little

Smash Ace
TBH, I think Dixie's status as a powerup in Tropical Freeze contributes to her unpopularity. Despite how great the game is, I genuinely hate how Diddy and Dixie's roles are devalued in this series now. Just look at the popularity polls for the veterans, Diddy is often dead last. It boils my damn blood. I hope to god Retro or Nintendo will do a better job to give these characters more public awareness and love. Their presence in Odyssey is a start, I guess. Though Nintendo kinda screwed it up again for not including Diddy in MK8. Quite strange.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

Dixie Kong for Smash
I think you will be right about Dixie's status in the speculation scene if Banjo & Kazooie get in soon and most of the K. Rool and Banjo & Kazooie fans don't flock to her next after Banjo & Kazooie's inclusion if it happens. I'm hoping they either flock to Dixie or Krystal next because I'm rooting for both of them. But really though, any real DKC or Rare fans should go straight for Dixie next.

You are right. Dixie is just about the last character I think it’s worth rallying for. Am also 28 right now, and even if the roster of Ultimate Ian beyond expectation thanks to K.Rool, I still think Dixie needs her inclusion to truly fulfill the DKC roster. She’s the perfect addition, and I would settle with a Isabelle type of situation at this point honestly.
Dixie really does feel like the last remaining piece of the puzzle. The last remaining Nintendo all star or at least one of the last remaining Nintendo all stars along with Toad, Waluigi, Bandana Dee, and Pig Ganon.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

SourceGaming did a poll as well for the Top 50 characters for DLC, and while Dixie didn't do amazing again, she did do marginally better, being 27th instead of 39th like in the previous poll (she was at least able to beat some characters that she should have beaten this time, although there are still some characters she should have been above). The commentator did offer some interesting points on her ranking as well. This poll actually includes Assist Trophies as well, so it's interesting to see the stark differences in community, and how her ranking actually went up rather than down.

Last edited:

SeashoreWar

Smash Journeyman
A new Mario Kart set with Ram Bunkshus making his... debut! And who doesn't want a Glimmer glider? :laugh:

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
Great job Seashore!

Also, side note, that ProJared sub-tweet I made is the most successful thing the account has ever done. I guess drama sells.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
TBH, I think Dixie's status as a powerup in Tropical Freeze contributes to her unpopularity. Despite how great the game is, I genuinely hate how Diddy and Dixie's roles are devalued in this series now. Just look at the popularity polls for the veterans, Diddy is often dead last. It boils my damn blood. I hope to god Retro or Nintendo will do a better job to give these characters more public awareness and love. Their presence in Odyssey is a start, I guess. Though Nintendo kinda screwed it up again for not including Diddy in MK8. Quite strange.
I really hate this as well! It wasn’t as bad in Returns, where Diddy was just player 2 if you wanted to co-op in the game. Tropical Freeze made it worse by making Diddy the worst partner, and even though Hard Mode exists, it doesn’t really mean much if the main campaign is played with DK the lead and the rest are simple power ups... situational power ups even.

Smash is just about the only game where Diddy is solo playable. It’s heading in the wrong direction and I wish the releases of DK games where more frequent.

Say what you want about the buy out era, but cameo appearances as well as PAON’s attention to the DKC lore made Diddy quite popular to withstand the buy out’s damage. Right now, the franchise should be at its peak thanks to Tropical Freeze and it’s massive success and high critical acclaim, but except it’s not!

I wish they could just remake the first DKC. That would be wonderful at this point....

Justin Little

Smash Ace
I can't imagine Nintendo will have us wait for another decade+ for a new mainline DK game. I want to believe the DK references in Odyssey is hinting towards greener pastures for the series. They even made a reference to Rattly, a character who hasn't been seen since DKC2. Hell, a lot of them hasn't been seen or heard from in a long while. If Retro isn't working on one, then maybe Nintendo themselves will make one. Or maybe even Ubisoft. All in all, Dixie needs some exposure and something that will get people excited for her again.

Strong DK

Smash Apprentice
I have now completed all DKC games + DK 64 + DKJB 100% second time this year :D and i can't wait for next DK game! Hopefully during E3 DK makes his comeback to Switch...
My fav DKC order remains the same after latest playthrought:
1. DKC TF the best
2. DKCR awesome
3. DKC1/DKC2 still great and legendary
4. DKJB fun as heck+ ultra badass DK
5. DK64 beavers did bother me
Bottom of the barrel: DKC3 bland and meh

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
I'd rank the games like this:

1. DKC2 - My favorite game of all time. Untouchable.
  2. Tropical Freeze - Not as good as DKC2, but damn close.
  3. DKCR - Very exciting mechanically, a bit subpar in the visuals department. Underrated soundtrack.
  4. DKC3 - Probably the most "involved" Donkey Kong game. Feels the most like a big, epic adventure. Underrated everything.
  5. DKC - It's good, but the sequels improved on it so much that it looks pretty bare-bones today.
  6. DKJB - Cathartic fun. Hoofer and Orco are fun animal buddies that should come back.
  7. DK64 - Not great, but not terrible either. At least it gave us Lanky.

Donkey Kong is actually my favorite Nintendo series (as if you couldn't tell from my avatar). It's a pity that so few people take it seriously. This is probably going to be a contentious take but I think DKC2, DKC3, DKCR, and TF are better than every Mario game except maybe SMB3 and Galaxy. (And Yoshi's Island, if that counts.)

Re: Professor Chops, I think he's a'ight. Not the best character in the series, but at least he's better than Troff and Scoff. He looks like a Jungle Beat character more than anything.

Re: Dixie... damn, it hurts that she's fallen out of favor like that. When I saw that they changed Diddy's standard combo, I was convinced that she was coming as an echo, but nada. And I don't expect to see her in the Fighters Pass, as she's not the most marketable character. I don't think she's unpopular so much as that she flies under the radar. I also don't think Tropical Freeze did anything to hurt her reputation, and everyone who's played the game seems to like her and think she's the most useful partner.

I sincerely think Dixie is coming eventually, though. Even if we do nothing to campaign for her, she's an obvious enough addition that Sakurai will think of her. Hell, we all know she was planned for Brawl, which is more than many other highly requested characters can say. Still, we should do as much as we can to promote her.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
just rehashing the same things ive said a million times before but

i think dixie's seeming lack of popularity is because she is thought of by many as "obvious echo": a character who is not only highly likely as-is, but isn't seen as very interesting due to being percieved as an echo fighter, and thats why there's not much of a push for her besides her die-hard fans.

she's very unlikely to make the cut in ultimate but establishing a lot of general character support now might go a long way for her chances in the future

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
It's super weird to me that people see Dixie as an obvious echo given that her main gimmick, her versatile ponytail, is something that Diddy definitely does not share. I'll gladly take an echo if that's all Sakurai and his team are willing to make, but Dixie has so much potential as a unique fighter (floating, smacking and grabbing foes with her ponytail, etc.) that I don't think I'd be fully satisfied.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
she's very unlikely to make the cut in ultimate but establishing a lot of general character support now might go a long way for her chances in the future
Being “very unlikely” has been a staple of Smash Bros DLC for awhile now. Literally almost every DLC character for both Smash 4 and Ultimate was someone who was seen as too obvious, extremely far out, or not even on the radar.

I get that we want to lower our expectations, but man, everyone here loves to drone on and on about how she’s completely impossible and never going to happen for a what’s supposed to be a support thread.

Look at Bandanna Dee. He has the many of the same points against Dixie (1st party character from an already represented franchise and a spirit) that also makes him very unlikely for at least the current fighters pass (due to each character needing a spirit board) and yet his community is flourishing, consistently gaining Top 3 spots on literally every poll. I could only dream of that kind of support for Dixie. When Joker was revealed a lot of 1st party picks started to slow down, but not him. No, they stuck with their determination and his numbers rose higher than ever.

Last edited:

Strong DK

Smash Apprentice
While i rank DKC3 lowest of all DKC games +64 and JB, i still think it's a good game. Better than most of mario platformers except smb3 and smw.
For me and most of my friends who have played DKC3 it's 7-8/10 game.
What has surprised me is my kids don't like DKC3. They have played DKC1/2/3 and Returns and they like Returns the most. They said DKC1 is odd but fun, DKC2 is too dark and DKC3 is boring.

Last edited:

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
I get that we want to lower our expectations, but man, everyone here loves to drone on and on about how she’s completely impossible and never going to happen for a what’s supposed to be a support thread.
I'm just a very cynical person when it comes to Smash. It's hard for me to hype up a character when all signs seem to point to "no", even if it's someone I desperately want. I apologize if I bum people out that way, but my intent isn't to be negative. I just genuinely think it's more productive right now to just forget about Ultimate and try to promote Dixie in a general sense, gathering more support for future endeavors.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Being “very unlikely” has been a staple of Smash Bros DLC for awhile now. Literally almost every DLC character for both Smash 4 and Ultimate was someone who was seen as too obvious, extremely far out, or not even on the radar.

Look at Bandanna Dee. He has the many of the same points against Dixie (1st party character from an already represented franchise and a spirit) that make him also impossible for at least the current fighters pass (due to each character needing a spirit board) and yet his community is flourishing, consistently gaining Top 3 spots on literally every poll. I could only dream of that kind of support. When Joker was revealed a lot of 1st party picks started to slow down, but not him. No, they actually had determination.
To be fair It certainly helps that the creator of Super Smash Bros (Sakurai) also happens to be the same creator or one of the creators of Kirby and isn't afraid show his bias and we have seen that he "Probably" doesn't think much of the Donkey Kong franchise as it took a fan ballot just to finally get King K. Rool in, So you can probably see why their fanbase has more confidence and determination.

I'm cool with both Dixie Kong and Bandana Dee in Smash, But if I were to place a bet and because what I mentioned before my money would be on Bandana Dee.

Though not impossible, unfortunately I still don't really think both are likely for DLC as I still believe that it's mainly going to be 3rd Party based.

Last edited:

Akg0001

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Akin01
Still hoping we get dixie as an echo...

I mean better echo dixie than no dixie right?

Imo just give her dk grab, dk up-b, bubblegum-gun, different dash attack and obviously different taunts and a different ultra smash.

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
Still hoping we get dixie as an echo...

I mean better echo dixie than no dixie right?

Imo just give her dk grab, dk up-b, bubblegum-gun, different dash attack and obviously different taunts and a different ultra smash.

Diddy still has a tail attack and those changes up in your post is why she has to break away from being an echo to bring properly represented, also they said we're not getting echoes as dlc(I don't believe any fan theories until proven otherwise by the devs) so that's relying on false hope from my perspective at this point.

Top Bottom