• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Wanna welcome the newest Support Buddies to the Barrel! Haven't done this in a while, so let's give ColtonS25 ColtonS25 , N Nartic and ze9 ze9 a big welcome! Things have quieted down quite a bit, but I'm glad y'all are here.

I have some things I wanna show, 2 delights for the ears and one for the eyes. The first is an envisioning of an HD ground-up remaster of the DKC Trilogy:

Next is this beautiful OC Remix of Stickerbush Symphony. Play it at the beach:

And speaking of Stickerbush Symphony, y'all have heard of Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, right? Well a musician has done a rendition of that classic track in the style of that newly-released game. LISTEN TO IT. SERIOUSLY:

Donkey Kong 64's version of DK will always be the definitive version. He's cool, laidback ,but still has personality and charm of cartoonyness on the same level of Banjo-Kazooie that doesn't go overboard.

Grant Kirkhope's voice was made for DK and a perfect fit, I love his "OK !" "Cool" and my favorite when he pulls out his Coconut Gun and says "Yeah !" I never hated his current voice (Scooby Kong) as there is some clips that sound pretty good (Mainly his more aggressive ones) ,But he's been using his current voice for so long that I've gotten use to it and has grown on me overtime, But I still think it's inferior to his DK 64 voice.

In my opinion Donkey Kong 64 made DK seem more like a character who happens to be a gorilla, While current DK feels more animalistic with clumsy and goofy characteristics.

Either way I will always love Donkey Kong no matter what.

Donkey Kong 64 Voice (Grant Kirkhope)
https://youtu.be/_CQoWJo3Wjc

Donkey Kong Current Voice (Takashi Nagasako)
https://youtu.be/EFfFzpsh3T0
I'm not too crazy about DK64's DK, but I always thought Grant's voice for him was the best. It definitely struck the right balance of laid-back, cool and tough; personality wise he's alright, fun to pal around with but I don't really see him as someone I shouldn't mess with.

The current DK's voice makes him sound kinda dumb and certainly goofy, but personality-wise he's the most badass depiction thus far, and I'd say the most active. Sure he's still pretty chill, but get on his bad side and he'll have enemies terrified of him in the blink of an eye. He's more quick-tempered and shouldn't be taken lightly.

Personally, the current DK's depiction with Grant voicing him would be ideal for me: the perfect cool and laid-back voice with a badass personality that takes **** from nobody would be the GOAT. Sadly that won't happen, but if I could rank the voices I'd say:
1) Grant Kirkhope. Rare always knew how to use the right voices.
2) Super Smash Bros sound effects. Gotta admit, the realistic noises sound cool; when in doubt use them I say.
3) Takashi Nagasako. Not bad, I'm used to him but he's solid overall.
4) no voice at all. Anything's better than the one below this.
5) N64 Mario Kart and Mario Party sound effects. Ugh...

As a side note though, I think DK64 Diddy was the best voice-wise and personality-wise.

What were the Tikis' goal? Were they once banana trees turned into Tikis, and them stealing (back) the bananas were their way to help ameliorate the pain of what they once were and what they lost? Because that's ****ed up Retro! Maybe that is what Kremkroc Industries, Inc. was for. K. Rool was building some kind of soulless army to win the war against the Kongs once and for all, but it was too late. DK and Diddy kicked him and the Kremling crew out of the island for good, and whatever was left of their initial ambitions grew a mind of their own with a sense purpose: Revenge! There were some obvious spiritual mumbo jumbo they were fooling around with that even the Kongs probably did not understand.
LOL, I kinda like this! From my understanding, bananas are their life force and they need it for power. Apparently bananas are magical, or their magic is fueled by bananas. Maybe this vid will help:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TW-1HhpCryU

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
DK always seemed like a big goofball to be. From the moment we first see DK in DKC's into he's doing that silly dance and then Cranky throws a tnt barrel at him as his eyes bug out. He's cool, but in a really silly way.

It seems like it's the voice that people really get hung up about. Otherwise I'd say his personality has always been the same. He's always been that big, goofy, fun loving oaf. But honestly he's adorable. In an Iron Giant kind of way.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Wanna welcome the newest Support Buddies to the Barrel! Haven't done this in a while, so let's give ColtonS25 ColtonS25 , N Nartic and ze9 ze9 a big welcome! Things have quieted down quite a bit, but I'm glad y'all are here.

I have some things I wanna show, 2 delights for the ears and one for the eyes. The first is an envisioning of an HD ground-up remaster of the DKC Trilogy:

Next is this beautiful OC Remix of Stickerbush Symphony. Play it at the beach:

And speaking of Stickerbush Symphony, y'all have heard of Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, right? Well a musician has done a rendition of that classic track in the style of that newly-released game. LISTEN TO IT. SERIOUSLY:

I'm not too crazy about DK64's DK, but I always thought Grant's voice for him was the best. It definitely struck the right balance of laid-back, cool and tough; personality wise he's alright, fun to pal around with but I don't really see him as someone I shouldn't mess with.

The current DK's voice makes him sound kinda dumb and certainly goofy, but personality-wise he's the most badass depiction thus far, and I'd say the most active. Sure he's still pretty chill, but get on his bad side and he'll have enemies terrified of him in the blink of an eye. He's more quick-tempered and shouldn't be taken lightly.

Personally, the current DK's depiction with Grant voicing him would be ideal for me: the perfect cool and laid-back voice with a badass personality that takes **** from nobody would be the GOAT. Sadly that won't happen, but if I could rank the voices I'd say:
1) Grant Kirkhope. Rare always knew how to use the right voices.
2) Super Smash Bros sound effects. Gotta admit, the realistic noises sound cool; when in doubt use them I say.
3) Takashi Nagasako. Not bad, I'm used to him but he's solid overall.
4) no voice at all. Anything's better than the one below this.
5) N64 Mario Kart and Mario Party sound effects. Ugh...

As a side note though, I think DK64 Diddy was the best voice-wise and personality-wise.

LOL, I kinda like this! From my understanding, bananas are their life force and they need it for power. Apparently bananas are magical, or their magic is fueled by bananas. Maybe this vid will help:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TW-1HhpCryU
Diddy Kong's voice in DK 64 was also the best, Like you said Rare knew how to nail the voices of their characters, But I will say that they did a good job replacing it as his current voice is sounds pretty good and some of the voice clips sound similar to Rare's Diddy Kong or at least not too far off from it and are more fitting compared to Donkey Kong's current voice which is solid ,But it took time to get used to it when it transitioned from DK 64.

Side Note: I'm not sure if it's still his current voice actor or they pitch it differently and higher, But I'm not really a fan of his squeaks and very high pitch sounds in DKC Returns and Tropical Freeze during the gameplay portion as it sounds like he inhaled helium and for whatever reason when they show the CGI/Cinematics like in the beginning or final boss fights they switch back to his current voice that you hear from his Mario spinoff appearances that sounds way better, Not sure what they were thinking.

Diddy Kong's Voice (DK 64) (Chris Sutherland)
https://youtu.be/85SqEOZ_4LY

Diddy Kong's Current Voice (Katsumi Suzuki)
https://youtu.be/qZq6t0KCAiA

Last edited:

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
Those remixes are great. Love 'em.

By the way if you're a new supporter, don't forget to follow the twitter! It's been pretty stagnant lately. I need to figure out a new way to reach new followers.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I cannot think of Donkey Kong Country without being incredibly angry that we do not have an animal crate as an item.
This will pass.......... .......... ......

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
What about his Coconut Gun ?

It can fires in spurts and if he shoots ya it's gonna hurt !

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I see your point, though it'd be quite the interesting doubles item. Smash doesn't have any doubles only items yet.
The heal item is gone? Smash did once have the heal only doubles item.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
Items that have appeared in past games but no longer appear as of Ultimate:

Barrel Cannon
Cloaking Device
Cracker Launcher
Fan
Flipper
Parasol
Red Shell
Spring
Team Healer

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
The fan is GONE?! Nooooooooooooo... I used to piss SO MANY people off with that item!
I never have the items on when I play alone or online. But the fan was one of my favorite items and it sucks they removed it. I think it wasn't in Smash 4 either, but I don't remember if it was or not because I didn't use items in that game either.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Items that have appeared in past games but no longer appear as of Ultimate:

Barrel Cannon
Cloaking Device
Cracker Launcher
Fan
Flipper
Parasol
Red Shell
Spring
Team Healer
Were we ever given explanation to some of these?

I suppose, thank God the Cloaking Device is gone. It drove me ....bananas :2gud:

Laniv

Smash Lord
Were we ever given explanation to some of these?

I suppose, thank God the Cloaking Device is gone. It drove me ....bananas :2gud:
We at least know that the Flipper was a soft replacement for the Bumper in Melee

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
What's weird to me is that the Cloaking Device hasn't been around since Melee but Smash Ultimate has spirit fights with invisible fighters and in Custom Smash you can toggle invisibility on.

Actually, looking back, the invisibility setting has been available in EVERY Smash game since Melee. Weird, because most settings in Special Melee / Brawl / Smash can be replicated with items, but invisibility hasn't had an item since forever.

Last edited:

Strong DK

Smash Apprentice
Sorry @~ Valkyrie ~ , but I STRONGLY disagree with most of this.

For a start, the SNES and DK64 era DK sounded cooler than the Scooby Kong we have now, but in his own series he was known to be kidnapped more than playable, and when he was playable once in his breakout trilogy, he was easily overshadowed by the new Kong on the block: Diddy. Diddy is the one most players flocked to, because even though he was weaker than Donkey his speed made him more fun to play as. I'm certainly not a fan of the CG cartoon, as I found everyone in it to be cringeworthy even as a kid. By the time 64 came around, Miyamoto was enforcing his "dumb ape" vision, and even without it DK didn't seem cool. I mean seriously, he's a big musclebound gorilla who slaps as a standard attack, and playing Patty-Cake with K. Rool in a blooper. DK64 was far more cartoony than the original trilogy, no doubt thanks to being repurposed from Banjo-Kazooie. However, it didn't start there. When DKC3 started referencing Terminator (KAOS), Scooby Doo ("I would've gotten away with it too if it weren't for you meddling Kongs!") Frankenstein (K.Roolenstein), and Wizard of Oz (K. Rool controlling KAOS behind a curtain) you know they've scraped the bottom of the barrel, as they're getting dangerously close to a Hanna-Barbara cartoon. It was far too cliche, even back then.

Even with modern DK's unintelligible blubbering I still find him to be far more competent, agile and powerful than the one Rare introduced. He has the friendliness of a Nintendo character, and the personality I expect of a gorilla: belligerent (Jungle Beat), stubborn (Returns and Tropical Freeze), aggressive (Jungle Beat, Returns, Tropical Freeze and Punch-Out Wii), hyperactive (all the above), yet still laid back and endearingly goofy (again all of the above).

I also fiercely disagree with your statement about the level design. Looking back on Jungle Beat and Retro's games, the only one that somewhat embodies that is Jungle Beat, which definitely has props in there for whatever fits the gameplay and nothing else. That is the most Nintendo-styled DK platformer of them all, and while I'm glad it failed, it was actually a very fun game. However, there is nothing uninspired by Retro's DKCs. They made sure everything in the level was there for a reason, even going so much as saying so in interviews. They worked the gameplay in with the setting and environment seamlessly in Returns then took it even further in the sequel. The stages, as they say each "tells a story"; Returns brought continuity between levels by having elements from the previous "world" (which I'll be calling Sections or Islands from now on) present in the first level of the new one. That was a bona-fide first for the series and showed a realistic sense of progression; they layered the stages with background events and elements that can only be found in one stage each, then sprinkled Easter Eggs on top for more density. There's far more depth to the levels than the obstacle course with no rhyme or reason that the NSMB games have.

I could infer more about the islands of Tropical Freeze just from looking at the levels' scenery than I could from Jungle Beat AND the original DKCs, and that's not just because of hardware limitations. Retro made sure to pack each stage with detail to make it feel like DK's was a living, breathing world; you had the back, fore and midground interacting often, villains doing more than waiting on you to kill them, and level/narrative continuity. You absolutely cannot tell me that Juicy Jungle didn't show us a gradual process of how they made their products from level to level. You can't dispute that Donkey Kong Island being frozen over didn't imply an arctic apocalypse and the aftermath of the Snowmads' actions. The ruined state of the final island hits harder for players who visited those Sections in Returns. And that's just those 2 islands; even Returns had an implied level narrative at the very least. To this day, the Tikis stealing bananas makes far more sense than K. Rool doing it, because we actually got an in-game reason. It took nearly a decade for Rare to explain it, and they did so on a fanmail section of their website.

This is in comparison to the original trilogy, which never allowed us to interact with more than one layer of any level, which used to be very linear until DKC3 came out, which had identical backgrounds for level types and which--in DKC1's case especially--had the most uninspired bosses except K. Rool. That game gave us: a giant Beaver and his recolor, a giant vulture and his recolor, a giant bee that changes colors, and a giant level hazard that spat out generic enemies they couldn't make bosses out of. For all the garbage that the Tikis are, they have more going for them than 99% of DKC1's bosses, and DKC3's Belcha. Their musical hypnosis is actually more compelling than: this Beaver works for K. Rool, or this Oil Drum is alive and helping K. Rool. Then we have the Snowmads, whose leaders all have almost as much personality as K. Rool with the exception of Fredrik (whose a lame ripoff); that in and of itself speaks volumes, as the bosses in Rare's games were 1-Dimensional.

I only somewhat disagree here. Yea there's an established lore in the original DKCs starting with DKC2 and moving forward, but there's clearly an established lore in Retro's, and not just with the Banana Temples. The difference is that Rare's DKCs share the lore through text and dialogue, but Retro implies it through visuals. Again, look at the level narratives of Returns and Tropical Freeze's levels. The Forest Section of Returns is infested with huge dormant Tikis; the Factory's been repurposed from the Kremlings and turned into their breeding ground; the Volcano is their birthplace and their throne. Lost Mangroves is full of an unusually large amount of scrap metal and busted vehicles that the Snowmads use for their army--how those vehicles and contraptions ended up there is a mystery for anyone's interpretation; Bright Savanna shows us what a deadly tornado does to the island as it creates a wildfire that threatens the whole place, and is ruled by a native that's clearly been brought into the Snowmad's alliance; Sea Breeze Cove shows us an ancient Atlantis-like civilization that's long abandoned the area; how and why is anyone's guess. You already know the deal with Juicy Jungle and DK Isle, Kremcroc Industries got hijacked again and is now left to rot in the ice. Unlike the SNES games, the lore here is implied, letting us connect whatever dots we wish while keeping gameplay at the forefront.

DK's various enemies: The Kremlings, Ghastly King's Thralls, The Tikis, Wizpig and The Snowmads actually bolster the series' lore, because unlike Mario's, DK's is varied enough to show that there's more to his world than one enemy faction. There's more to fight than anthropomorphic Krocs, more islands than DK's and Crocodile Isle, at least 7 in fact. We have an expansive look at what's going on beyond DK's home; we know that Autumn Heights is nearby, and thanks to Odyssey, we know that New Donk City is a thing. Fighting K. Rool constantly would give the series a Saturday Morning Cartoon feel, which DKC3 and '64 were definitely shifting towards. And honestly, Retro's DKCs are far more daring. Yes, DKC2 and 3 were getting innovative, but Retro's games are far more layered, the gameplay a bit more creative (2.5D Banjo-Kazooie with unique elements for each level is a step up from the SNES games by a good margin), the levels have vastly more action (Haunted Hall is one of the few levels in the entire SNES trilogy that can compete with the dozens of action-packed levels from either Returns or Tropical Freeze), far more interesting Bosses (with only some exceptions), and honestly more personality from each playable Kong, based entirely on their animations. The 2D Mario games should be taking notes from Retro's DKCs, as those are cookie-cutter and uninspired--yet still enjoyable--games. There's a certain level of care and attention to detail Retro has showed the series and I want them to continue to do so. There's things that they've done much better than Rare would've.

On a side note, as much as I loved Crash, Warped is where they went generic. Gameplay-wise it's the best of Naughty Dog's trilogy, but the setting is so Saturday Morning Cartoony that they sorta lost the identity that Crash 2 was showing. Instead of learning more about Crash's world we get an abridged, surface-level version of real world history, but with a twist being Cortex corrupting it. Still a really good game though, but I think Naughty Dog was running out of ideas for where to take the setting.
Fully agreed with all of this.
Imo Rare's DKCs are great but Retro's are even better. Only K. Rool/kremlings and animal buddies are only thing yet missing in Retro's Countries. And i strongly believe that K. Rool is coming back to series sooner than later.
Also today's version of DK is the best we have had yet. A true badass like the Hulk

GAINAX

Smash Journeyman
I recently made a DKC retrospective video and thought you guys might be interested!

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Imo Rare's DKCs are great but Retro's are even better. Only K. Rool/kremlings and animal buddies are only thing yet missing in Retro's Countries. And i strongly believe that K. Rool is coming back to series sooner than later.
Also today's version of DK is the best we have had yet. A true badass like the Hulk
It would be very interesting to see what Retro could do with the Banjo-Kazooie brand if Rare, Microsoft, and Nintendo would allow them to make those games.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
It would be very interesting to see what Retro could do with the Banjo-Kazooie brand if Rare, Microsoft, and Nintendo would allow them to make those games.
I had never thought of that and it's a genius idea. In many aspects Retro is the new Rare.

Last edited:

DX_E

Smash Apprentice
Considering DK Items, I liked the idea of using the life balloons. If you grab a balloon and get knocked off stage, it brings you back without losing a stock. Gives you another chance but you still maintain the damage you had. Also, bring in the banana juice that turns characters gold like on Golden Plains. Using the animal buddies may be more difficult, but why isn't Rambi an AT?

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Considering DK Items, I liked the idea of using the life balloons. If you grab a balloon and get knocked off stage, it brings you back without losing a stock. Gives you another chance but you still maintain the damage you had. Also, bring in the banana juice that turns characters gold like on Golden Plains. Using the animal buddies may be more difficult, but why isn't Rambi an AT?
Ooh, I like the banana juice idea. We don't have an item that turns people gold yet, though that's probably because gold status is better than metal status. Maybe it could be like a potion in Zelda where you need to stand still for a second for the character to drink the juice (not as long as the time you need to stand still for the Special Flag to give you an extra point / stock, though).

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I never have the items on when I play alone or online. But the fan was one of my favorite items and it sucks they removed it. I think it wasn't in Smash 4 either, but I don't remember if it was or not because I didn't use items in that game either.
LMAO same with me! Last I remember, I was using the item in Brawl for trolling, but once SSB4 came out I fought with no items and it's been like that ever since.

H*** YEAH!! I always loved Diddy, but I honestly didn't hold DK in high regard until after the Rare era; I'm not bashing that version per se as he has a lot to like about him, but the badass factor truly shined in the recent incarnations, and it's great that they kept his silliness in tact. I never thought about it before, but ZeroJanitor's description of halfway between Scooby and the Hulk....actually works really well. Never would've thought about it, but I like it!

I'm also holding out some kind of hope that Retro is making/already made a 3rd Entry in the series, and with K. Rool's beloved return I want them to keep that momentum going and have him be the villain. If they improve on Tropical Freeze's level design with separately playable Kongs, at least one old Animal Buddy (Enguarde preferred) and a new Buddy, they'd have the Kremlings be outstanding icing on a phenomenal cake.

On a side note though, the next DKC reveal trailer would be great if they didn't use the Jungle Hijinx theme. It's been done to death and gives off a "here we go again" feeling, which can deflate hype.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muT...0984F9ewJqednOSWrAhK3-Xchx30D9y7Q2HjdI0pa2Fho

Seeing as Joker borrows A LOT of moves from other characters, do you think this increases the odds of Dixie making it into the game as an Isabelle type character?

They could take a lot of the animation data from Diddy, while still making her feel unique.
Excellent vid! I agree with your assessments of DK's current state; it seems like we're being primed for another DK announcement in the future, with the steady drip of content we've gotten. Like Chrono's said though, we should be more vocal in support for Dixie though, but anyways I've added your vid to the Fan Appreciation section of the OP.

Also Sabertooth Sabertooth if you haven't already and don't mind, can you add this vid to Dixie Kong's twitter page? Which reminnds me, ColtonS25 ColtonS25 , N Nartic and ze9 ze9 feel free to check out Dixie Kong's Twitter Page if you haven't already!

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Since it would be DKCR3, the trailer theme has to be Stilt Village SNES. A big orchestral tuba masterpiece remix.

EVERY BROTHERS BEAR
IS HERE!

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Yikes.

SSBU News has released their unofficial ballot results (Document of Top 85), and Dixie has fallen all the way to 39th place. For reference, their ballot results before Ultimate's release had Dixie at 16th place, enough to make the official tweet (which included the Top 18). This poll doesn't even count ATs like Waluigi, Shadow, or Isaac, some of which were higher than Dixie the first time.

I'd say this is because people think the DLC will be all 3rd Parties and from non-represented franchises, but several 1st parties from pre-existing franchises scored pretty high.

It seems enthusiasm has dropped to an all time low....:crying::crying::crying::crying:

If there's one silver lining, it's that DLC characters like Joker, PP, Corrin, and Bayonetta never exactly topped fan polls when they were picked either. At the end of the day, this is purely symbolic and obviously has no actual bearing on what the developers do.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Yikes.

SSBU News has released their unofficial ballot results (picture of Top 85), and Dixie has fallen all the way to 39th place. For reference, their ballot results before Ultimate's release had Dixie at 16th place. This poll doesn't even count ATs like Waluigi, Shadow, or Isaac, some of which were higher than Dixie the first time.

I'd say this is because people think the DLC will be all 3rd Parties and from non-represented franchises, but several 1st parties from pre-existing franchises scored pretty high.

It seems enthusiasm has dropped to an all time low....:crying::crying::crying::crying:

If there's one silver lining, it's that DLC characters like Joker, PP, Corrin, and Bayonetta never exactly topped fan polls when they were picked either. At the end of the day, this is purely symbolic and obviously has no actual bearing on what the developers do.
Keep in mind that aside from the first party bias there's also the expectation (even for many of us) that Dixie would be an Echo, and Echoes won't be in the Fighter Pass. I wouldn't put too much value in this admittedly low placing.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Keep in mind that aside from the first party bias there's also the expectation (even for many of us) that Dixie would be an Echo, and Echoes won't be in the Fighter Pass. I wouldn't put too much value in this admittedly low placing.
Good point. It still makes me sad that not as many people are rallying behind Dixie in online spaces as I would have liked to think, though.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
i think a combination of k. rool in the game, dixie being a spirit, her percieved status as echo material, and the "anything goes" nature of the fighters pass are what keeps fans from thinking very highly of her. a lot of people consider her a safe pick, therefore boring.

GAINAX

Smash Journeyman
Yikes.

SSBU News has released their unofficial ballot results (picture of Top 85), and Dixie has fallen all the way to 39th place. For reference, their ballot results before Ultimate's release had Dixie at 16th place. This poll doesn't even count ATs like Waluigi, Shadow, or Isaac, some of which were higher than Dixie the first time.

Tbh Dixie's still like in the top 10 of 1st party characters. Most people are expecting third party characters from the DLC, which has really opened the flood gates.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
i think a combination of k. rool in the game, dixie being a spirit, her percieved status as echo material, and the "anything goes" nature of the fighters pass are what keeps fans from thinking very highly of her. a lot of people consider her a safe pick, therefore boring.
Which is a shame because Dixie is 100x more exciting and deserving than 3rd party JRPG anime character #567 we're probably gonna get. Besides Ryu and Bayonetta have we gotten any DLC characters that arent from JRPGs? Even so they're still lame 3rd party characters.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
yeah it seems like both sakurai and a lot of the vocal fanbase favor 3rd party jrpg protags. we're just those nerds who think girl diddy is important somehow.

dont get me wrong there are some cool 3rd party characters out there, but its a little frustrating getting a slew of wild off-the-wall picks when your most wanted character feels like someone who should have already been in the series 10 years ago.

its a moot point anyway since dixie is extremely unlikely for ultimate at this point. but i dont have the energy to mope about it anymore. best thing to do is campaign for more dk games and more appearances by dixie in mario spinoffs. not only are these good things on their own, but might even help to raise her profile for the next smash game if/when it comes.

Top Bottom