• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Mushroomguy12 Mushroomguy12 thanks for finding that link! I'll give it a spotlight after SeashoreWar's art gets more time to shine.

Planet Cool Planet Cool I'm A-OK with that option. Speaking of which, the Byleth reception is pretty negative. Not entirely, but enough for me personally to notice and comment on it. Gamefaqs and I assume r/smashbrosultimate have some flamewars raging on ATM. Even an FE Voice Actress jumped in on the meme fight. I have no attachment to Fire Emblem at all and I haven't been upset with a character since Jigglypuff in '64, and only been annoyed with 2 others, so IDC about characters I won't be playing as. Smashboards seems to be a much friendlier place than the other sites.

I wonder how Smash fans would react to Dixie's confirmation. She gets a lot of 'Sure, why not's so I'm positive she won't face too much venom.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I wonder how Smash fans would react to Dixie's confirmation. She gets a lot of 'Sure, why not's so I'm positive she won't face too much venom.
If anything Byleth's inclusion was a blessing in disguise because a 4th DK character looks a lot better after an 8th Fire Emblem character compared to if she came after a bunch of 3rd Parties.

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
If anything Byleth's inclusion was a blessing in disguise because a 4th DK character looks a lot better after an 8th Fire Emblem character compared to if she came after a bunch of 3rd Parties.
This would definitely be a good thing. Especially now that K. Rool made it, there's less venom.

DeniroSerafim

Smash Apprentice
I really hope things break our way for this second fighter pass, we're so close to perfection with K. Rool, Banjo and Kazooie.

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
I think Dixie Kong’s chances are looking pretty good now. With most of the big third parties out of the way they MIGHT try focusing on 1st parties now and Dixie has been one of the most requested 1st party since launch.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
I can't see Dixie getting any unusual amount of disagreement (just the standard disappointed response of 'Awww, not a character I hoped for' that almost every character gets). She's one of those 'Just There' characters, not a bad choice, wouldn't cause a backlash but not highly highly demanded. Almost a safe choice, but definitely an overlooked choice at this point.

Byleth may even get more people to sympathize with other franchises, wanting them to get more characters especially if there is lacking amount. I've seen more people warm up to Rex and Xenoblade in general after last week.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
One thing to keep in mind though, is that if we want Dixie in we gotta go to other sites and show why she's cool. Not sayin' we get obnoxious and toxic, but do show she has fans.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
Re: character backlash, the thing that y'all have to keep in mind is that a lot of younger Nintendo fans play Smash before they get into the various games it represents. I've spoken to several zoomer-type folks who played Melee or Brawl before Donkey Kong Country (or anything besides Mario and Pokemon). So they grow up with the idea that whatever's already in Smash is what's hot and culturally relevant and aren't super aware of the blind spots. That's why fans who weren't around in the nineties thought King K. Rool and Banjo were "irrelevant." Dixie is kind of getting the same treatment now. The fact that she's in Tropical Freeze helps a lot.

Last edited:

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
In my eyes there is no way ever that Dixie's reception is ever negative or indifferent. I bet everyone that wanted King K. Rool and Banjo & Kazooie will all be very happy. Because we have all played a Donkey Kong game (90s kids have the SNES games, 2000s kids have the GBA ports, and younger people have Returns and Tropical Freeze, there is no excuse) and we know how important she is for the franchise (And how she made Kaptain K. Rool fight bearable on the 1st playtrough). As long as the trailer doesn't present her as an echo when she's reallly not (AKA Isabelle's trailer).

Byleth's case is an extreme acumulation of multiple negative factors finally collapsing, the biggest one being "another Fire Emblem character". I'm not personally happy about him being chosen over other 1st party characters. But what it's done, it's done, I have to just accept it and move on.

But you can bet that literally no one would complain about Dixie being "another Donkey Kong character". That is something that barely happens once per 10 years.

Last edited:

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
You know who doesn't like DK games? People who grew up on the GameCube. That was when Rare and Nintendo broke up, and everyone (including Nintendo Power) constantly said "Nintendo doesn't need Rare!" and "Rare's games are overrated anyway," like a jilted lover tearing up pictures of their ex.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
You know who doesn't like DK games? People who grew up on the GameCube. That was when Rare and Nintendo broke up, and everyone (including Nintendo Power) constantly said "Nintendo doesn't need Rare!" and "Rare's games are overrated anyway," like a jilted lover tearing up pictures of their ex.
Then we time-skip to the present, and Returns and Tropical Freeze were made to incredible critical aclaim and huge sales (TF broke 4 million!!). The original DKC trilogy was sold in both VCs. A new Banjo-Kazooie game is incredibly requested to the point other developers made a spiritual successor to both BK and DK.

But it's fine if some people don't care. Not every character has to cater to everyone. But I'm sure there are some characters that appeal to more people than others choices (*cough* 4 days ago *cough*), and Dixie is one of those characters IMO, if the success of the DK franchise compared of how poorly Nintendo treats it make it seem.

Last edited:

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Yeah, some people won't care about Dixie. There will probably be some complaining. But there was also some of that for K. Rool, Banjo and Kazooie and other big guns.

Dixie is broadly liked enough that most people will be happy or content. I'll tell you one thing, Dixie wouldn't have such a huge dislike bar. FE's negativity, particularly FE insert characters, is unique to FE.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Dixie would only meet significant disapproval if she came in after DK, Diddy, K Rool, Cranky, Funky, Kiddy and Chunky were already added, and that would be mostly from the fact that she was character number 8 for the series.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
Dixie would only meet significant disapproval if she came in after DK, Diddy, K Rool, Cranky, Funky, Kiddy and Chunky were already added, and that would be mostly from the fact that she was character number 8 for the series.
LMAO imagine a timeline of "too many cartoony Gorillas".

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
LMAO imagine a timeline of "too many cartoony Gorillas".
This gave me a hefty laugh. Thank you for that. Just like the current FE representation, in that alternate timeline I sure as hell wouldn't be complaining either.

As for my thoughts on the Byleth backlash. Yes Im a FE fan but you can GUARANTEE if K.Rool, Wolf, Inklings, and Ridley weren't in the base roster and Byleth came along I would be joining in on the pitchforks and rioting. But since they are here Idc. Like I said earlier I wasnt a fan of any of the previous DLC picks (besides Banjo and only barely) or 3rd parties in Smash in general so even though it was an 8th FE pick it was still the hypest DLC for me bar none.

People say "Byleth just came out the wrong time" and that I can see where they are coming from but for me he came at the right time compared to Corrin in Smash 4 where I was pissed because K.Rool got deconfirmed as a Mii Costume and here we were with yet another FE character after Smash 4 had Lucina and Robin AND Roy as DLC instead of the hugely fan requested Rool or literally any other 1st party character.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I would be more enraged at the fact that those last four characters were added before Dixie, especially those last two. I'd probably add Tiny and Pauline alongside Dixie at that point because good god DK representation would be such a sausage fest. (Although Pauline would probably be added as a Mario rep, so uhh.... Candy? *shudders*).

Last edited:

Mary H.

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1676-4537-1982
Dixie being included with a Tropical Freeze stage would be great, but I'd also be happy if it was a DKC2 stage instead. A pirate themed stage specifically, up amongst the rigs and sails of the ship. There could be pirate Kremlings in the background, climbing up the ropes, and the stage would come with a remix of Jib Jig. That would be a dream come true~

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Dixie doesn't need to come with a Tropical Freeze stage specifically, but she does need to come with more Tropical Freeze music. The soundtrack is as incredible as the older DKC games thanks to David Wise's contribution.

Last edited:

Kritter

Smash Cadet
Dixie being included with a Tropical Freeze stage would be great, but I'd also be happy if it was a DKC2 stage instead. A pirate themed stage specifically, up amongst the rigs and sails of the ship. There could be pirate Kremlings in the background, climbing up the ropes, and the stage would come with a remix of Jib Jig. That would be a dream come true~
I like your idea of a DKC2 stage. Personally I would love a beehive stage from DKC2. It would be so different from any other stage (for instance, we have the Zelda pirate ship and a pirate ship in the Paper Mario stage), and would show that the DK series has more to offer than jungles (granted, your pirate ship idea would show that too!). But really, anything but another jungle level would be most welcome. Factory, volcano, ice cave, etc.

Also, a remix of the beehive music would be killer!

Last edited:

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
There is so much material to work with DK worlds that has never been a stage in Smash before. I'm not even counting DKC1, 64 and Returns because Dixie wasn't playable there.

From DKC2 we can have a Krazy Kremland stage where we transition between the beehives, the rollercoasters in the park and the brambles. The artistically beautiful and spooky Gloomy Gulch (Just don't bring the wind with it please). Diamond mines which are everywhere in DKC2. The Flying Croc because I freaking love that boss fight. The best K. Rool fight we ever had. Even more points if the reveal trailer starts in the flying croc with DK tied up and Diddy being destroyed by K. Rool.

From DKC3 we have the Canadian worlds. The Lake Orangatanga, the factories of Mekanos (Tho, I think this one is too redudant with Shadow Moses) or the mountains from the later worlds.

In Tropical Freeze, aside from Grasssland Groove and the african-based world 3, there is Mangrove, Autum Heights with that classical European vibe, the Fruity Factory which is still my favorite thematic world ever, and the frozen DK Island (Which IMO would be a little safe and obvious, I prefer anything else I said before over that).

DK is so poorly represented stage and music wise that making a Dixie character pack was one of the easiest things ever.
I'm having way more trouble coming up with a Skull Kid / Midna pack than the Dixie pack I posted before.

Last edited:

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Dixie's final Smash is just her pulling out a cartridge of DKC2, which shines so brightly it brings the other fighters to tears and their knees.

Then they explode.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Dixie's final Smash is just her pulling out a cartridge of DKC2, which shines so brightly it brings the other fighters to tears and their knees.

Then they explode.
I just died laughing at this. This thread has given me two hardy chuckles in a single day. God I love this thread.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
The Gangplank Galleon should be King K. Rool's stage. To set it apart from Pirate Ship, it could be stationary (with Donkey Kong Island in the background) and tilt with the weight of the characters fighting on it. And of course, Krow's nest would be a platform.

In Tropical Freeze, aside from Grasssland Groove and the african-based world 3, there is Mangrove, Autum Heights with that classical European vibe, the Fruity Factory which is still my favorite thematic world ever, and the frozen DK Island (Which IMO would be a little safe and obvious, I prefer anything else I said before over that).
I think Homecoming Hijinxs is the only choice, since it's the one that best reflects the theme of the game, and DK has never had an icy stage (or any stage that's not a jungle, but whatevs, whatevs). I still like my idea of periodic snowstorms that turn it into a silhouette stage.

For DKC2, Bramble Scramble would be iconic. Maybe it could be an enclosed stage with brambles as danger zones!

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
I feel like the common reaction will be "this doesn't excite me BUT she's deserved a spot for a long time now so I'm fine with it".

Kinda like the reaction to Chrom when he was announced for Ultimate. He was notoriously leaked for Smash 4 as a character, but in the Lucina/Robin trailer was very explicitly left out, only appearing as a Final Smash helper for Robin. So despite being the 7th FE character and another derivative of Marth, people were generally OK with his inclusion because he was basically a Sm4sh character that finally showed up. (not to say he didn't catch any flack whatsoever, but considering the reaction to Corrin, and later Byleth, it was pretty subdued by comparison).

TL;DR Dixie Kong will probably be better received than a Fire Emblem character.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
In an alternate reality, this is what the DK Smash Bros roster looks like. And instead of Byleth, that Smash bros just got Blonde Pauline.

Pauline recruits...Blonde Pauline!

Donkey Kong
Super Kong (E)
Diddy Kong
Super Diddy (E)
Dixie Kong
2 Player Contest Dixie Kong (semi clone)
Kiddy Kong
2 Player Contest Kiddy Kong (semi clone)
Funky Kong
Funky Kong from DK64 based around guns
Wrinkly Kong (alive)
Wrinkly Kong (dead)
Cranky Kong
Cranky Kong on a chair
King K. Rool
Kaptain K. Rool
Baron K. Roolenstein
Krusha K. Rool
Baseball K. Rool
Pauline
Mayor Pauline
Blonde Pauline

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
cranky kong on a chair mains rise up

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
In an alternate reality, this is what the DK Smash Bros roster looks like. And instead of Byleth, that Smash bros just got Blonde Pauline.

Donkey Kong
Super Kong (E)
Diddy Kong
Super Diddy (E)
Dixie Kong
2 Player Contest Dixie Kong (semi clone)
Kiddy Kong
2 Player Contest Kiddy Kong (semi clone)
Funky Kong
Funky Kong from DK64 based around guns
Wrinkly Kong (alive)
Wrinkly Kong (dead)
Cranky Kong
Cranky Kong on a chair
King K. Rool
Kaptain K. Rool
Baron K. Roolenstein
Krusha K. Rool
Baseball K. Rool
Pauline
Mayor Pauline
Blonde Pauline
Too many K.Rools, no Animal Buddies, no Candy as joke character, no Krusha, no Klump, no Bear Brothers.. 2.5/10. Are you even trying ?

Also, Byleth is a good character and it's a bit disheartening reading bad stuff about the character here.

Last edited:

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987

Donkey Kong
White Donkey Kong
Small Donkey Kong
Super Small Donkey Kong (E)
Small Girl Donkey Kong
Redheaded Small Girl Donkey Kong
Baby Donkey Kong
Green Baby Donkey Kong
Cool Donkey Kong
Terrorist Cool Donkey Kong
Grandma Donkey Kong
Dead Grandma Donkey Kong
Grandpa Donkey Kong
Grandpa Donkey Kong on a chair
Lizard Donkey Kong
Pirate Lizard Donkey Kong
Scientist Lizard Donkey Kong
Buff Lizard Donkey Kong
Aztec Lizard Donkey Kong
Donkey Kong's girlfriend
Hat Donkey Kong's girlfriend
Blonde Donkey Kong's girlfriend
Applying the Smash fandom filter is so fun.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I've seen that 2021 Donkey Kong calendar brought up several times before and the one important thing that no one has brought up or mention is that 2021 will be the 40th anniversary of the Donkey Kong franchise, The inception of both Mario and DK as characters and as a franchise that which was pretty much launching point for Nintendo as a gaming company.

Now I know what some of you are thinking, "But, Nintendo didn't celebrate Donkey Kong Country's 25th anniversary"

While that is true, Part of me believes that Nintendo didn't really celebrate it because DKC was made by Rare and not in-house so they don't feel as connected to it or want to take credit for something they didn't play as big of a role in, Chances are Nintendo would rather likely acknowledge the entire history of Donkey Kong as a franchise/character (Including the Arcade era), Hell I'm sure Nintendo will at least mention DKCR's 10th anniversary (Man has it really been a decade?) this year since they played a bigger role with the "Returns" series seeing how they own Retro Studios and It's the current modern representation of the Donkey Kong franchise.

But again this is just pure speculation, But with what I mentioned before and the Donkey Kong area in the Nintendo theme park coming soon, It seems like there really is big plans for the franchise even though it's been said for a while via DK Vine, But it's really starting to sound true and would make sense as why we have yet to receive any major DK game other than a Tropical Freeze port and DK Adventure DLC and an original game would line up perfectly with this timeline.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
DK is so poorly represented stage and music wise that making a Dixie character pack was one of the easiest things ever.
I'm having way more trouble coming up with a Skull Kid / Midna pack than the Dixie pack I posted before.
A Skull Kid pack would be easy honestly.

Here is what I think should be in Skull Kid's pack:

Stage: Clock Town

Songs:

1. Clock Town First Day
2. Clock Town Second Day
3. Clock Town Final Day
4. Clock Town Final Hours
5. Majora's Mask Theme
6. Majora's Theme
7. Majora's Mask Battle
8. Majora's Incarnate
9. Majora's Wrath
10. Song of Healing
11. Boss Battle
12. Middle Boss Battle
13. Astral Observatory
14. Deku Palace
15. Woodfall Temple
16. Snowhead Temple
17. Zora Hall
18. Pirates' Fortress
19. Great Bay Temple
20. Ikana Castle
21. Stone Tower Temple
22. Calling The Four Giants
23. Shop
24. Milk Bar
25. Romani Ranch

Spirits:

Skull Kid (Fighter)

Spirit Board:

Majora's Mask/Black giant :ultrob: (Ace class Spirit. 4 R.O.B.s playing as the 4 masks of the 4 temples.)

Majora's Incarnate/Purple giant :ultsonic: (Ace Class Spirit. Sometimes gains an enhanced amout of speed out of nowhere.)

Majora's Wrath/Black giant :ultsimon: (Legend Class Spirit. Can KO at low percentages.)

Happy Mask Salesman/Pink :ultdoc: (Novice Class Spirit.)

Deku Link/:ultpichu: (Advanced Class Spirit.)

Goron Link/:ultcharizard: (Ace Class Spirit. A earthquake will shake the stage once in awhile.)

Zora Link/Gray :ultgreninja: (Ace Class Spirit. It will start the match with a boomerang item.)

Odolwa/Orange giant :ultganondorf: (Ace Class Spirit. Uses Smash Attacks often. Reinforcements will come to help aide the enemy. 7 mini Ridleys.)

Kafei/Pink :ultyounglink: (Novice Class Spirit.)

Anju/Red :ultzelda: (Novice Class Spirit.)

Despite Great Bay being a stage and Majora's Mask having two Assist Trophies in the game, there really is no original Majora's Mask song in Smash. Saria's Song originated from Ocarina of Time and Termina Field is just a remix of the main overworld theme from the first Legend of Zelda.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
A bit off-topic, but I was thinking about this last night, and... Man, I REALLY wish that fake claim of Chunky Kong being an AT in Smash 4 was, well... real. The supposed thing he would have done (Ground-pound the ground, causing health-replenishing bananas to fall from the sky), would have been fitting for him, AND it would have been the first time in 15 years we'd see him in the flesh, er... fur? It just would have been such a pleasant surprise to see Dixie's cousin show up out of the blue like that. Maybe he would have even returned for Smash Ultimate?

Top Bottom