• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

SenSx

Smash Apprentice
Sadly I'm not too optimistic as either.
Yes first party are not a big No, they can be added in a fighter pass....
However I suspect Byleth was just a promotional DLC like Corrin was, isn't there a DLC for Fire Emblem on the way or something like that ?
So basically just an exception to the general rule.

Also the Spirits in the game can't be playable characters thing needs to be debunked first.
So far we don't have any proof they can be.

Last edited:

paperosbronzo

Smash Rookie
So, another Fire Emblem character, uh…quite disappointing. Fortunately, I didn't buy the Fighter Pass ( I only bought Banjo and Joker of all the DLC characters).
I'm not very optimistic for Dixie. DKseems to be irrelevant for Nintendo and I think at least one of the 6 new DLC fighters will be a "promotional character".
We can only hope that Nintendo will release a new DK main title or DKC Trilogy HD (that would be a real dream).

cybersai

Smash Ace
It really is too bad Dixie didn't make it in Brawl as it feels like she missed her shot for a long time. Even when Diddy/Dixie as a tag team ala Ice Climbers didn't work, I don't know why he didn't work on Dixie separately like Diddy and make them individual characters. I assume Dixie had some kind of working model in Brawl before she was scraped, how else would Sakurai have known the tag team option of them like Ice Climbers was too hard to work with then?

In general it's the same deal for a lot of characters. For example had Wolf not made it in Brawl as a last minute character, I believe to this day Wolf would never be in Smash. He just got in by luck of the draw, and I feel like Dixie should have made it way back in the Brawl era as well.

I think the problem is outside of Mario, Pokemon, and Fire Emblem, all the other franchises "third characters" have trouble making it in without a lot of support. Even Kirby a franchise of Sakurai still only has 3 reps to this day since Brawl for example. Heh, remember back in the Brawl era people thought Sakurai was Kirby bias? Man pretty funny to think there was once a time people thought that.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
Well. Thinking positively. It's confirmed that every pack in the second round will still have a stage and a lot of new music.
If Dixie makes it in. This is my dream character pack.

Dixie Kong's Character Pack:

something something spirits deconfirm something something
Just take the Rare render and call it a day:
kisspng-donkey-kong-country-2-diddy-s-kong-quest-donkey-k-candy-house-5ad81b3df3fc53.047223041...png

Grassland Groove

It's like Poké Floats. Where the stage changes to different settings while the fight happens.
It should show the dancing trees, the platforms made by natives, the piñata Giraffes, the mechanical snake platforms and then it loops.

Please bring David Wise on board if it ever happens. Grant Kirkhope got his chance so Wise needs to delight us with his godly remix in Smash too.

Grassland Groove
Mining Melancholy - New Remix
Forest Interlude - New Remix
Krook's March
Nuts and Bolts
Rockface Rumble - New Remix
Big Boss Blues - New Remix. This song sounds surpringly good if its given an appropiate touch-up like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a59JJetdDxM
Big Top Bop
Scorch N' Torch
Punch Bowl
Volcano Dome

Improving upon perfection: The theme of this route is fighting characters that also debuted in a direct sequel. While we also pay tribute to the sequel game in question. The exception is the last fight.
Round 1: VS Ness on Fourside
Round 2: VS Meta Knight on Fountain of Dreams
Round 3: VS Pichu on Pokémon Stadium 2
Round 4: VS Wolf on Venom
Round 5: VS Wario on Peach's Castle
Round 6: VS weak Giga Bowser on FD (Technically debuted in Melee)
Boss: VS Giant King K. Rool on Grassland Groove. You team up with DK and Diddy Kong

If you have completed also the classic modes of DK and Diddy, then you get this nice bonus spirit.

Kong Trio:
kisspng-donkey-kong-country-2-diddys-kong-quest-donkey-ko-donkey-kong-png-transparent-picture-...png

Looking at the spirits in the base game. We have the Kong members. But some animal buddies are missing and a ton of recurrent enemies are missing as well. But I prefer another take....
Choose some bosses from DKC2, DKC3 and Tropical Freeze (Not Returns, because Dixie is not playable there) and make a spirit board based on all the challenges Dixie herself has had to beat in her games appearances.

- Krow: Black Giant Falco on Pirate Ship (They could make the Ship stay in the sky), make Falco come back invisible after dying.
- Kleever: Some invisible giant Fire Emblem character I guess, on Norfair. Invisible Bowser Jr will help you shooting cannon balls.
- Kudgel: Gray King K. Rool on Distant Planet, earthquakes happen often.
- Arich: Giant Bowser on Garden of Hope. Bowser has help from the Pong Assist Trophy.
- KAOS: Giant R.O.B. on Shadow Moses Island. Beware of the laser spam.
- Bleak: Black/White Dedede on Summit. Beware of the Gordo tennis game.
- Pompy: Blue Yoshi on Living Room. Mini green Greninjas also come to annoy you.
- Skowl: Blue Ridley on Umbra Clock Tower. Eggs spawn often.
- Ba-Boom: Three Diddy Kongs on Grassland Groove. They come back invisible after dying. You only have to kill the three when they are visible to win.
- Bashmaster: I wish we could use Banjo-Kazooie but DLC is forbidden on spirits outside of its own package. Giant Dedede spamming Up B and F-Smash it is.

If the player doesn't have Kaptain K. Rool, Baron K. Roolesnstein and Lord Fredrik I guess they could show up in the board too.

Last edited:

Ed-boy

Smash Journeyman
It really is too bad Dixie didn't make it in Brawl as it feels like she missed her shot for a long time. Even when Diddy/Dixie as a tag team ala Ice Climbers didn't work, I don't know why he didn't work on Dixie separately like Diddy and make them individual characters. I assume Dixie had some kind of working model in Brawl before she was scraped, how else would Sakurai have known the tag team option of them like Ice Climbers was too hard to work with then?
Imma be honest, I would've taken the Brawl tag-team over this current timeline. I understand the sentiments of some here that it'd keep both Dixie & Diddy from showing their respective stuff, but just consider how things unfolded as later Smash titles came. With Smash 4, "duo" characters had to either be split apart or axed completely (both in :ultpokemontrainer:'s case) in exchange for a functioning portable Smash. Zelda, in particular, had to be split from Sheik, which resulted in the two getting tweaked, fleshed out movesets. It actually worked well, & the devs are sticking with it for Ultimate, & likely for the rest of time. If Sakurai's intent with our girl was indeed a tag-team with Diddy, then I say it's safe to assume they'd have worked more like Zelda & Pokemon Trainer & not so much like Ice Climbers. The kongs would've fought separately, possibly summon each other for an attack here & there, & just tag in & out via down-B.

Yall' can piece up where I'm going with this...

Brawl introduces Diddy & Dixie as a tag-team. I & others from my generation would have our first big hands-on experience with Dixie, & she's firmly solidified as a classic, if maybe dependant, Nintendo All-Star to many.

Smash 4 rolls around, & it's universal changes see Diddy & Dixie split apart (but never split up, it's all bout' commitment). Now their flying solo, & the Smash team delves more into each one's individual skills/tools.

Ultimate drops like a nuke on an already successful system. Everyone is here, with a mess of new faces on the way, DK/Rare fans finally get K. Rool & Banjo in the green...except Dixie's actually there, & we wouldn't even have to be talking about this right now.

I could be wrong, of course, & I'm not the first to make this observation. Just think that in some alt. universe, we're all probably having a ball pitting Dixie in battles with crazy characters like Solid Snake, the Duck Hunt dog, Ryu, & Sans Undertale.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Imma be honest, I would've taken the Brawl tag-team over this current timeline. I understand the sentiments of some here that it'd keep both Dixie & Diddy from showing their respective stuff, but just consider how things unfolded as later Smash titles came. With Smash 4, "duo" characters had to either be split apart or axed completely (both in :ultpokemontrainer:'s case) in exchange for a functioning portable Smash. Zelda, in particular, had to be split from Sheik, which resulted in the two getting tweaked, fleshed out movesets. It actually worked well, & the devs are sticking with it for Ultimate, & likely for the rest of time. If Sakurai's intent with our girl was indeed a tag-team with Diddy, then I say it's safe to assume they'd have worked more like Zelda & Pokemon Trainer & not so much like Ice Climbers. The kongs would've fought separately, possibly summon each other for an attack here & there, & just tag in & out via down-B.

Yall' can piece up where I'm going with this...

Brawl introduces Diddy & Dixie as a tag-team. I & others from my generation would have our first big hands-on experience with Dixie, & she's firmly solidified as a classic, if maybe dependant, Nintendo All-Star to many.

Smash 4 rolls around, & it's universal changes see Diddy & Dixie split apart (but never split up, it's all bout' commitment). Now their flying solo, & the Smash team delves more into each one's individual skills/tools.

Ultimate drops like a nuke on an already successful system. Everyone is here, with a mess of new faces on the way, DK/Rare fans finally get K. Rool & Banjo in the green...except Dixie's actually there, & we wouldn't even have to be talking about this right now.

I could be wrong, of course, & I'm not the first to make this observation. Just think that in some alt. universe, we're all probably having a ball pitting Dixie in battles with crazy characters like Solid Snake, the Duck Hunt dog, Ryu, & Sans Undertale.
Yup, I could totally handle Dixie being part of a tag team in Brawl if it meant having her separate in Smash 4 and Ultimate. The only transformation character from Brawl that actually stayed together for Ultimate was the Pokemon Trainer, and that was because they literally had to have them together in order to bring back the Trainer character himself/herself. Dixie would have functioned more like Zelda/Sheik and Samus/Zero Suit Samus, and if I could tolerate those transformations in Brawl I could more than tolerate the tag team concept for one game that I played much more casually anyway then having a separate Dixie in the games that I actually started to get more serious in due to an inherently higher skill level from age.

Last edited:

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
Yup, I could totally handle Dixie being part of a tag team in Brawl if it meant having her separate in Smash 4 and Ultimate. The only transformation character from Brawl that actually stayed together for Ultimate was the Pokemon Trainer, and that was because they literally had to have them together in order to bring back the Trainer character himself/herself. Dixie would have functioned more like Zelda/Sheik and Samus/Zero Suit Samus, and if I could tolerate those transformations in Brawl I could more than tolerate the tag team concept for one game that I played much more casually anyway then having a separate Dixie in the games that I actually started to get more serious in due to an inherently higher skill level from age.
Apparently the Tag team mechanic in Brawl was going to be incredibly simple. Press one button to switch Kongs and then you are playing as the other Kong with the other one behind you as a pseudo-Nana (But not actually attacking). So... making them separate in 4 and then putting them together again in Ultimate sounds like the most probable outcome to me.

Either way. I got the Dark Samus amiibo today. Yay, finally I have my quartet of Metroid amiibos to show off (Samus from SR, the Metroid, Ridley and Dark Samus).
Now if only I had a fourth DK amiibo to complete my empty space in the DK section... inb4 Nintendo only releases an 8-bit DK amiibo and calls it "a representation of the series".

MrGameguycolor

Smash Lord
NNID
MrGameguycolor
Switch FC
7681-9716-5789
Well first parties are still on the table, so that's a good sign.

Anyway just for fun, what stats do you think Dixie would have?
Here's my take:

-Weight: 88 (Same as Yink & Isabelle, little less then Diddy)

-Air Speed: 1.208 (Same as Mario, DK, Sonic, Mac & Inkling)

-Fall Speed: 1.45 (Same as Gunner)

-Walk Speed: 1.155 (Same as Mario, Shulk & Cloud)

-Initial Dash / Run Speed: 1.76 / 1.6 (Same as Ryu)

-Total Air Jumps / Height: 2 / 32 (Same as Ridley)

In short, slower on the ground then DK & Diddy, but a floaty air fighter.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
Well first parties are still on the table, so that's a good sign.

Anyway just for fun, what stats do you think Dixie would have?
Here's my take:

-Weight: 88 (Same as Yink & Isabelle, little less then Diddy)

-Air Speed: 1.208 (Same as Mario, DK, Sonic, Mac & Inkling)

-Fall Speed: 1.45 (Same as Gunner)

-Walk Speed: 1.155 (Same as Mario, Shulk & Cloud)

-Initial Dash / Run Speed: 1.76 / 1.6 (Same as Ryu)

-Total Air Jumps / Height: 2 / 32 (Same as Ridley)

In short, slower on the ground then DK & Diddy, but a floaty air fighter.
I think everything is OK except the air speed and two jumps.
I still stand on the idea that Dixie needs her iconic hair-hovering move. So poor air speed is needed to balance the ability to quickly hover in the air at great speeds.
So, she can't air jump twice because holding the jump button causes the hovering. That upward ascent jump in TF looks like a more fitting Up B to me.

I think her weight should be the same as Diddy. Because while Dixie could recover much easier than Diddy, she doesn't have that banana. So it seems like a good trade.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Dixie is absolutely the main priority right now, but will you guys rally on another DK character after she get's in? I sure will. I would like to see Lanky next or Funky or Cranky.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
Dixie is absolutely the main priority right now, but will you guys rally on another DK character after she get's in? I sure will. I would like to see Lanky next or Funky or Cranky.
Funky is my absolute most wanted echo. I want to dunk and spike people to oblivion with DK's dunk moves while being able to recover with S W A G.
But he and Lanky (Because he's the most unique Kong and not Dixie and Kiddy 2.0) would be extras. With DK, Diddy, Dixie and King K. Rool I think the DK representation is complete and doesn't need more. Kinda similar to Metroid like now. We have Ridley and Dark Samus. I'm satisfied with that and I don't mind if they don't add more characters in the future.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I'll support Cranky, but I'm good with DK if Dixie gets in.

MrGameguycolor

Smash Lord
NNID
MrGameguycolor
Switch FC
7681-9716-5789
With DK, Diddy, Dixie and King K. Rool I think the DK representation is complete and doesn't need more. Kinda similar to Metroid like now. We have Ridley and Dark Samus. I'm satisfied with that and I don't mind if they don't add more characters in the future.
I 100% agree, Metroid already has 2 versions of the main character and the 2 most important villains to the series.
We would have the 3 main protagonists and the main villain, we're good to go by that point, time to focus on other series.
I'd be down for a new Wario fighter.

Last edited:

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
If we get Dixie, I'm done with Smash speculation forever. Dixie is the last character for Smash I have any love/emotional attachment to that isnt in Smash yet. Cranky and Funky are cool as well as any other first party character simply for the amazing amiibos but I have reached the point with Ultimate/Smash in general that Im content. I dont see myself playing the game very often anymore (though I will buy/try out Byleth). Honestly I just want more amazing first party software in established franchises released DK being at the top of that list.

Last edited:

cybersai

Smash Ace
Let's put it this way, if its taken us like 20 years to get Dixie in Smash, it's going to take another 20 years to get Cranky, Funky, etc.

Basically don't hold your breath. As long as Sakurai is the director obviously the DK franchise is not something he's that interested in, it'll be a miracle alone if Dixie makes it some day. Any other DK characters after that is like a pipe dream.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
Dixie's the only character left I have the steam to support. There's other characters I'd like to see eventually but after Dixie I think I'm content.

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
After Dixie, Zelda really needs a new rep. This is one of Nintendo's oldest and biggest franchise (and arguably gaming's most important franchise) with many memorable characters like Midna and Skull Kid and unique fantasy races like the Gorons, Zora's, Gerudo (not counting Ganondorf) and all we get are three Links, two Zelda's, and a semi clone of Captain Falcon. It has been since Melee since Zelda has really gotten a new character.

Of Nintendo's franchises that have a character in Smash, I think these ones deserve it the most

1. Dixie Kong from DKC, most important character not in Smash
2. Zelda character (like Midna, Skull Kid, one of the champions)
3. Xenoblade, since it has had two new games since Shulk
4. Kirby
5. Star Fox, Wario, F-Zero, EarthBound and Kid Icarus I think are kind of at the same level

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
After Dixie, Zelda really needs a new rep. This is one of Nintendo's oldest and biggest franchise (and arguably gaming's most important franchise) with many memorable characters like Midna and Skull Kid and unique fantasy races like the Gorons, Zora's, Gerudo (not counting Ganondorf) and all we get are three Links, two Zelda's, and a semi clone of Captain Falcon. It has been since Melee since Zelda has really gotten a new character.

Of Nintendo's franchises that have a character in Smash, I think these ones deserve it the most

4. Kirby
5. Star Fox, Wario, F-Zero, EarthBound and Kid Icarus I think are kind of at the same level
It is pretty crazy that Zelda still hasn’t gotten a new character since Toon Link. And it’s a crime that half of the Zelda characters are variations of Link and we essentially have two Zeldas.

Skull Kid, Impa, and Vaati would be my choices for a new fighter. But any of the Champions would be cool too.

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
Once Dixie finally gets her dues, Funky would be on deck as the next DK character. This roster is missing a big dose of bodaciousness. After Cranky, then I would be completely satisfied with the DK krew in Smash. Though I would still be as satisfied with just getting Dixie to get the main cast in there. Funky and Cranky would be icing on the cake.

SeashoreWar

Smash Journeyman
Wave 6 of Donkey Kong Racing!

Diddy bringing back his sideways wearing hat days
Klump sporting some new armbands
Walnut taking some outfit advice from his Snowmad friends
And Krunch!

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

4. Kirby
Yup, my list is largely the same. After Dixie, among currently represented 1st Parties, my next priorities would be a Zelda rep like Impa or Midna, a Xenoblade rep like Rex & Pyra/Mythra or Elma or Fiora, and Krystal/Ashley/Viridi.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
If I can choose another Kong it would definitely be Chunky Kong.

Why you ask?...

Because he's one HELL of a guy !!!

But in all serious though while I love all the playable Kongs in DKC and DK 64, He was my favorite growing up alongside Diddy and DK, He's was big, powerful, cowardly and best of all the funniest of the group, He's probably the reason why I like wearing vest sometimes alongside a backwards baseball cap.

DK 64 would offer a lot for his moveset, Primate Punch, Pineapple Launcher and Burping etc.

Again it's not gonna happen seeing how Dixie Kong makes the most sense as the next DK rep because of her importance after DK, Diddy and K. Rool.

But man I wish at the very least Nintendo would put him and Lanky Kong in more DK spinoffs, I'm still annoyed that they put the entire DK crew in Barrel Blast, But decided to freaking leave out Chunky Kong, But then decide to keep his Pineapple Launcher !!!

Yeah I know it was a mediocre game, But man props to Paon for really respecting Rare's legacy in that game.

Last edited:

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Xevious 1 Xevious 1 . Tingle or Impa are my choices for Zelda reps. Tingle cause he's the most reocurring Zelda character behind the 3 we already have in Smash and has 2 spin-off games all to himself. Impa because once again she is a reoccurring character that could work standalone or as an echo of Shiek either way I would hope they base her model off of her Ocarina or Hyrule Warriors design. But like I said above I'm more in it for their amiibo (since Smash is amiibo's last saving grace/hurrah) than the actual in-game character.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Xevious 1 Xevious 1 . Tingle or Impa are my choices for Zelda reps. Tingle cause he's the most reocurring Zelda character behind the 3 we already have in Smash and has 2 spin-off games all to himself. Impa because once again she is a reoccurring character that could work standalone or as an echo of Shiek either way I would hope they base her model off of her Ocarina or Hyrule Warriors design. But like I said above I'm more in it for their amiibo (since Smash is amiibo's last saving grace/hurrah) than the actual in-game character.
Most people would demand Skull Kid, Minda, Ghirahim and Classic Ganon. (Wouldn't mind Impa and Tingle for Smash.)

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Wave 6 of Donkey Kong Racing!

Diddy bringing back his sideways wearing hat days
Klump sporting some new armbands
Walnut taking some outfit advice from his Snowmad friends
And Krunch!

Nice art and nice choices! Good strategy to start off with the niche character first and gradually build up to Walnut, a top 5 pick among Walrus loving Donkey Kong fans.

We'll post it tomorrow!

I see Klump is now PG instead of PG13.

DX_E

Smash Apprentice
I'm with most. For me, it feels like Dixie is missing from the roster. She's not the "omg, I can't believe they got this character in?! How?! This is amazing!" character. Dem Cloud characters are pluses to the max and of course I'd love more but Dixie is the only character left that would make the roster feel just right.

It's funny how Sakurai has been adding characters to backgrounds lately. The King of Fighters stage has all these SNK characters, Spiral Mountain has Banjo characters, Mementos has Persona 5 characters and now the new FE has 3Houses characters. I think people would be over the moon having a DK stage with Cranky, Funky, Candy, Kiddy, Wrinkly, Swanky, Lanky, Tiny and Chunky Kong in the background. Of course some people want these characters as playable but it would be nice just to see them in some form.

Most of these new characters have represented their game series incredibly well with their stages and what not....I don't think smash has quite captured the full essence of the DK series.

SeashoreWar

Smash Journeyman
Nice art and nice choices! Good strategy to start off with the niche character first and gradually build up to Walnut, a top 5 pick among Walrus loving Donkey Kong fans.

We'll post it tomorrow!

I see Klump is now PG instead of PG13.
Lol thanks. Walnut is top 5 among all characters period. My polls back this up.

The world isn't prepared for PG13 Klump anymore. Neither am I btw.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
It is pretty crazy that Zelda still hasn’t gotten a new character since Toon Link. And it’s a crime that half of the Zelda characters are variations of Link and we essentially have two Zeldas.

Skull Kid, Impa, and Vaati would be my choices for a new fighter. But any of the Champions would be cool too.
When you actually think about it, Zelda really hasn't received a newcomer since Melee in a way since Zelda and Sheik were the last unique newcomers added and Ganondorf, Young Link, Toon Link started out as clones than evolved into semi-clones.

Edit: Damnit Smashboards you didn't load up my entire post!

Last edited:

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
Scenario:

We get Dixie Kong as an original character, not an echo, and a Tropical Freeze stage. (The stage is Homecoming Hijinxs, and the gimmick is that periodic blizzards briefly turn it into a silhouette stage.)

The spirits are Klubba, solo Kiddy, Parry the Parallel Bird, Banana Bird (enhances into Banana Bird Queen), Taj, Bashmaster, and Pointy Tucks.

The remixes are Aquatic Ambiance, Forest Interlude, Stilt Village (GBA), and Seashore War. The originals/non-remixes are Jib Jig, Lockjaw's Saga, In a Snowbound Land, Rockface Rumble (SNES), Punch Bowl Brawl, and Snowmads' Theme.

The Mii costumes include Cranky Kong (Swordfighter), Mumbo (Swordfighter, because Banjo and Kazooie didn't get any), Funky Kong (Gunner), Rambi hat, and Enguarde hat.

BUT.

The other five DLC characters are all blue-haired Fire Emblem sword bishies.

Do you take this deal?

imo, the next Zelda characters in Smash should be Ganon, Tingle, and Tetra, in that order. After that, maybe Midna, but I'm not too sure about her because she's a one-off (unless you count Hyrule Warriors). Skull Kid is fine as an assist trophy. I was happy enough to play as him in HW.

Top Bottom