• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

ZelDan

Smash Master
I personally think that they were pretty considerated for dixie fans throwing that jiggle piece so early, considering that it actually gave away the surprise almost instantly . but certainly managed to temper false hopes in a right time.

i always though that dlc would be 5 new franchises, probably high profile 3rd parties, and now im certainly sure...

it would be interesting if, knowing this.... you consider isaac, ashley, waluigi and lyn fans to actually be lucky? and as a perspective to show that being an assist trophie maybe isnt a curse but a consolation blessing? (as always have been)

At least we shovel knight supporters saw it that way :3
As both an Isaac and Shovel Knight supporter, I can assure you that those Assist trophy reveals make me feel anything but lucky. :4pacman:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
As both an Isaac and Shovel Knight supporter, I can assure you that those Assist trophy reveals make me feel anything but lucky. :4pacman:
I don't know honestly if the popular Assist Trophy characters are luckier than the characters that are just spirits, but I do think they have a higher chance for the next Smash than anybody that is just a spirit. As for Ultimate, spirits alone probably have a higher chance if there is a Season Pass 2 or 3.

StormC

Smash Hero
Dixie didn't even cross my mind, I 100% knew it was going to be Banjo. I guess that makes me a bad Dixie supporter.

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
Yeah, I made the same connection. But it's kind of weird to be mad at someone else for our mistake, isn't it?
Maybe if there was nothing indicating it could be Dixie in the first place, but given the common history of these trailers revealing newcomers alongside other members of the same series (as the original version of this trailer did), it's kind of asking for it. Like, imagine if The Hero's trailer opened by showing all the Fire Emblem characters and just the Fire Emblem characters. Wouldn't it be reasonable to think the newcomer was going to come from Fire Emblem?

Ugh, I really don't want to talk about this anymore. I wanted it to be just the one post expressing my distaste for the trailer and have that be it. I don't hate Banjo, I don't hate them being in (not excited, though), I was just mad that the trailer looked like we might be getting a character I've had at the top of my want list for years only to end up feeling trolled. Is that so wrong of me?

ZelDan

Smash Master
Yeah Dixie never crossed my mind either. As I said earlier, at first I thought we were getting a villain due to them doing the villain montage again, then thanks to the Shinobi leak, seeing DK, a Rare character, made me think Banjo.

Last edited:

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
i had a pretty good feeling it would be banjo (even disregarding leaks it just seemed right) but i did still have that "but what if......" in the back of my mind

as much as i like banjo-kazooie, and i think its really great that they're here and they're represented so well, i didn't play a banjo game until i was an adult so i feel like i'm missing out on that "validated childhood" feeling a lot of you are probably having right now.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
i had a pretty good feeling it would be banjo (even disregarding leaks it just seemed right) but i did still have that "but what if......" in the back of my mind

as much as i like banjo-kazooie, and i think its really great that they're here and they're represented so well, i didn't play a banjo game until i was an adult so i feel like i'm missing out on that "validated childhood" feeling a lot of you are probably having right now.
Im in the same boat never played Banjo as a kid. The most I've experienced of Banjo is Diddy Kong Racing and youtube let's plays. I remember playing the original for like 10 minutes as a kid not knowing what to do and then immediately selling it back to Gamestop. That being said I still got hyped because 1. It wasn't another JRPG anime swordsman and 2. It was a play on the greatest Smash reveal trailer ever with the greatest Nintendo villian (K.Rool) featured prominently in it.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I wonder still if Shantae's even the trolling type to do that. :laugh:
Well, I thought of Shantae because she has long ponytail just like Dixie Kong and because Shantae canonically has the ability to transform into a monkey.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I personally think that they were pretty considerated for dixie fans throwing that jiggle piece so early, considering that it actually gave away the surprise almost instantly . but certainly managed to temper false hopes in a right time.

i always though that dlc would be 5 new franchises, probably high profile 3rd parties, and now im certainly sure...

it would be interesting if, knowing this.... you consider isaac, ashley, waluigi and lyn fans to actually be lucky? and as a perspective to show that being an assist trophie maybe isnt a curse but a consolation blessing? (as always have been)

At least we shovel knight supporters saw it that way :3
Obviously I never believed they would just reveal Dixie alone, the fighters pass requires spirits so we probably wouldn’t have her as anything but individual DLC or part of a bonus/another pass.
But considering they revealed multiple characters in one trailer before, (Robin/Lucina) (Simon/Richter) (Ken/Incineroar), I thought that would be the case again this time. Ken and Incineroar they purposely revealed together because both of them had a fire theme even though they were from different series and one was 3rd party and the other was 1st party. Dixie and Banjo have way more of a connection than Ken and Incineroar and they couldn't do a trailer similar to theirs instead.

This is the 2nd time they've missed an opportunity like this to coreveal Dixie alongside another more requested character, the first time being K. Rool. When I saw that scene of the three DK characters cheering I thought how perfect it would have been to have Dixie in that frame as well.

Now that scene (and many others) from the trailer will become another meme, establishing to hundreds of thousands that there are only 3 important DK characters and Dixie will get pushed into the dust again.

Last edited:

Super Flygon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Master_Zach
3DS FC
1289-8257-7574
Switch FC
SW-5750-9817-6593
I knew Dixie wasn't going to happen, but she was still the first thing to come to my mind when I saw the three DK characters. At least Banjo is like a distant cousin, and we do have the Dixie hat. She should get in for the next game though!

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I knew Dixie wasn't going to happen, but she was still the first thing to come to my mind when I saw the three DK characters. At least Banjo is like a distant cousin, and we do have the Dixie hat. She should get in for the next game though!
Who knows if Banjo will even return in the next game? What if this Microsoft friendship is just temporary and in a few years they become massively ***** like some other companies we know?

That's why I wanted Dixie in this game. To be able to be alongside every single character in the series. I'd rather she have that honor than a Plant. I couldn't care less about her getting in the next game. To be in a game with massive cuts in the roster.

Super Flygon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Master_Zach
3DS FC
1289-8257-7574
Switch FC
SW-5750-9817-6593
Who knows if Banjo will even return in the next game? What if this Microsoft friendship is just temporary and in a few years they become massively ***** like some other companies we know?

That's why I wanted Dixie in this game. To be able to be alongside every single character in the series. I'd rather she have that honor than a Plant. I couldn't care less about her getting in the next game. To be in a game with massive cuts in the roster.
Hopefully there aren't massive cuts in the next game. I do agree that Dixie would have been better than Plant though!

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Hopefully there aren't massive cuts in the next game. I do agree that Dixie would have been better than Plant though!
After Ultimate I find it hard to believe they will go back to cutting fighters from the game. I think they will either throw balance out of the window and keep adding tons of new fighters on top of the existing roster, or add very few fighters in the next game. I find the former more likely to happen as many people care more about novelty and new things than how good or bad the game balance is.
Well, I thought of Shantae because she has long ponytail just like Dixie Kong and because Shantae canonically has the ability to transform into a monkey.
That is one of the few things I never want in Smash. There are many potential fighters that wouldn't be my cup of tea, but very few that would make me really annoyed. Shantae is at the top of the list.

Anyways, back to Dixie; I find her inclusion very unlikely by now, and I think this sentiment is shared by many here. Three of the five DLC fighters were announced already, and like I expected they are all third parties, and none of them include an extra echo fighter as a bonus (that could potentially increase the odds of Dixie being added). Perhaps in the next game, whenever it comes. Or perhaps she still has a chance, maybe she will be the last DLC, the only first party DLC... Yeah, it is unlikely, but one can hope.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Obviously I never believed they would just reveal Dixie alone, the fighters pass requires spirits so we probably wouldn’t have her as anything but individual DLC or part of a bonus/another pass.
But considering they revealed multiple characters in one trailer before, (Robin/Lucina) (Simon/Richter) (Ken/Incineroar), I thought that would be the case again this time.
I mean we did get Banjo AND Kazooie... :troll:

Alright I'll see myself out...

Last edited:

Super Flygon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Master_Zach
3DS FC
1289-8257-7574
Switch FC
SW-5750-9817-6593
After Ultimate I find it hard to believe they will go back to cutting fighters from the game. I think they will either throw balance out of the window and keep adding tons of new fighters on top of the existing roster, or add very few fighters in the next game. I find the former more likely to happen as many people care more about novelty and new things than how good or bad the game balance is.
I think they'd opt for the second option (which, in my mind, would be to add a similar amount that Ultimate added), and I'd be fine with that as long as everyone returned again. I get that it is a lot of work for everyone to return, but Nintendo and Sakurai should be noticing how happy and excited it makes everyone!

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I mean we did get Banjo AND Kazooie... :troll:

Alright I'll see myself out...
Multiple characters that don't share a slot. The Ice Climbers, Rosalina & Luma, and Duck Hunt are each individual characters.

You know, I honestly thought, that barring another Fighter Pass or Echo Pass, that Dixie's perfect place would have to be revealed alongside Banjo as a bonus incentive for the Fighter's Pass, free for those that purchase it, but able to be purchased separately at the same price that Plant was sold for for those who didn't get the Pass. It would have been absolutely perfect, a relatively lower effort character to make and a huge financial incentive for Nintendo, and no one would complain that she "stole" a slot from a 3rd party. She truly deserves to be the next First Party added, she's the last S-tier character on my list.

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I hope that with Banjo getting in this means Dixie is gonna get even more support now. It's no surprise that most K. Rool supporters jumped to Banjo after K. Rool got in, I don't know if they'll jump to Dixie next or if they'll go supporting other characters. It's looking likely that the fighters pass will be entirely third party, which doesn't bode well for Dixie getting in this game. We can talk about hypothetical echo fighter DLC and whatnot, but they are exactly that, hypothetical. We haven't gotten the slightest hint that we're getting more DLC after the fighters pass. And with Retro returning to Metroid it's unlikely we'll get another Donkey Kong game any time soon.

So what does this mean for Dixie? It means her supporters will have to work hard and keep their spirits up for the next game. As long as her fans continue to support her she will still be a strong candidate for the next Smash Bros.

J.I.L

Banned via Administration

That is one of the few things I never want in Smash. There are many potential fighters that wouldn't be my cup of tea, but very few that would make me really annoyed. Shantae is at the top of the list.

Anyways, back to Dixie; I find her inclusion very unlikely by now, and I think this sentiment is shared by many here. Three of the five DLC fighters were announced already, and like I expected they are all third parties, and none of them include an extra echo fighter as a bonus (that could potentially increase the odds of Dixie being added). Perhaps in the next game, whenever it comes. Or perhaps she still has a chance, maybe she will be the last DLC, the only first party DLC... Yeah, it is unlikely, but one can hope.
That's so dumb. Character imbalnce is a huge problem in this game. We need balanced roster, too many of these new characters are really cheap. This hero guy looks like he's going to be really cheap as well.

Klimax

Smash Ace
That's so dumb. Character imbalnce is a huge problem in this game. We need balanced roster, too many of these new characters are really cheap. This hero guy looks like he's going to be really cheap as well.
Outside of Inkling and Joker, the newcomers are not good at all. Swordies are the real problem, they're so poorly designed that they all have the same problems.

J.I.L

Outside of Inkling and Joker, the newcomers are not good at all. Swordies are the real problem, they're so poorly designed that they all have the same problems.
Chrom and ken are pretty broken. King K rool on battlefield stage is pretty cheap as well.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

I agree. Dixie truly deserves to be there with DK, Diddy, K. Rool, and Banjo & Kazooie more than any other Rare character.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
i mean you can't tell that from a trailer. they're supposed to make the character look appealing to play as so of course they're gonna look good

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
Ultimate has spoiled me so much (King K. Rool and Banjo-Kazooie?!), I feel pretty greedy demanding Dixie. She can wait until the next game, where she's as much of a sure thing as Waluigi. Is she more deserving than some of the characters currently in the roster? Of course, but no game is perfect. I advise you guys not to let your love of Dixie make you bitter, or stop you from enjoying the characters we do have.

Also, I highly doubt there'll be massive cuts in the next game. There'll be some cuts, sure. I expect every echo will be gone (or reduced to alts), as will all the characters rendered totally redundant by other characters, like Dr. Mario and Young Link. There's very little chance Banjo will be cut, as even if Microsoft suddenly turns dickish, keeping Banjo in Smash is free advertisement for them and their products (even if it's only merch).

Kritter

Smash Cadet
Sakurai’s comment about not being able to bring everyone back next time or having to make cuts next time or whatever is very interesting. I hope that it means as much as the three times that he said he wouldn’t make another Smash game—that he says there will be cuts just so it’s hype again when there’s not.

But if there really are going to be cuts, I’d rather they just add onto Ultimate indefinitely through DLC, even if that means waiting a full year or two for a big expansion. The problem with bringing everyone back is that there may be a lot of disappointment with cuts next time, but I guess Mortal Kombat pulled it off.

ze9

Smash Ace
Smash is basically videogame hall of fame now, no gameplay adjustment could justify cutting the roster in half.

I think Dixie's not done yet. There could be more passes, and she's obviously one of the most important and demanded 1st party characters. I think Dixie's fanbase has been quieter for this pass just because she was pretty much ruled out from the get-go.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I think Dixie's fanbase has been quieter for this pass just because she was pretty much ruled out from the get-go.
Waluigi was ruled out from the very start and his fanbase screamed to the heavens, amassing videos gaining millions of views begging for his inclusion, even enough to get an article in the Washington Post and an official response from Reggie.

Bandanna Waddle Dee was ruled out with similar circumstance to Dixie (1st Party, already represented franchise, Spirit) and yet he consistently scores among the Top 3 in most fan polls. In fact, in this particular DLC poll his score actually rose from 4th to 3rd place. (Poll prior to games release, compared to DLC poll)

There's no excuse for us. K. Rool and Banjo got in before Dixie because their fanbases were vocal. The quieter we are, the greater chance she gets skipped again.

Last edited:

Kroconut

Smash Cadet
Doesn't seem too likely for Dixie sadly. But come find me again next time around, I'm going be front and center on the front line for HER!!

Lenidem

Smash Lord
I don't know the fandom well, but if I am representative of the ''average fan'', here is how things went for me.

During the ballot, I came to the conclusion that I really wanted three new characters in Smash: Skull Kid, Banjo & Kazooie, and King K. Rool.

I could only vote for one, so I dismissed K. Rool first: I wanted him because his absence felt really odd, not because I'm a fan. I loved the first DK Country, but I could not play the sequels, and DK64 was a huge disappointment to say the least (one of the few N64 games I never finished actually).

Banjo & Kazooie I loved much more, but I thought they were ''unrealistic''.

So, as a Zelda fan, loving Majora's Mask in particular, I ended up voting for Skull Kid, that I wanted since pre-Melee.

With the K. Rool reveal trailer, Dixie automatically became my new number three. And she has merit, because I've never played any of her games! I just know her by reputation, as the third Kong of the trio.

And now, she's my number two.

Pretty sure I'm not an exception. Dixie is an important Nintendo character, but some others where boxing in the same league and were seen by many as more urgent or important. Who's left now? Cranky and Funky in the DK serie, and yes, there is still Conker. But I bet most people who grew up with Rare games will think of Dixie first.

J.I.L

User was warned for these posts; trolling
Look at you people. Trying to campaign to get certain s players into smash or glorifying ultimate because of some humanoid bear creature with a flamingo on his back that was added to the game, instead of vocalizing that hysteria to force smash to bring an actual good online system.

DO NONE OF YOU PEOPLE CARE THST THIS ONLINE SYSTEM IS STRAIGHT GARBAGE?

Last edited:

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Look at you people. Trying to campaign to get certain s players into smash or glorifying ultimate because of some humanoid bear creature with a flamingo on his back that was added to the game, instead of vocalizing that hysteria to force smash to bring an actual good online system.

DO NONE OF YOU PEOPLE CARE THST THIS ONLINE SYSTEM IS STRAIGHT GARBAGE?

We can't do anything about that. Just tell us why you love Dixie Kong.

J.I.L

We can't do anything about that. Just tell us why you love Dixie Kong.
Yes we can. If we put our voices together and demand significant changes to online, then we may be actually able to enjoy the game. Having new characters join the game is just temporary satisfaction... it will get stale, what’s long lasting is actually have a good mode so you can enjoy those character for a long time to come:

And I could give and squat about that monkey girl. Honestly, I find her pointless and should just be a skin of diddy Kong. Like corrin.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom