• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

zipzapsparkle

Smash Journeyman
I have a question about clones, I see a lot of criticism for characters like Peachette in Mario Kart. I hear they use characters like that because it’s easy to implement them.

What about characters like Funky, Dixie, Stanley? Can they reuse assets from others to make them or does it not work like that?

Individualized DK games for everyone in this thread, on me.

I want a DK RPG I love rpg games

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Individualized DK games for everyone in this thread, on me.
I just want another 2D DKC game. The plot involves the Tikis, Snowmads, Ghastly King, and Kremlings. Lord Fredrick returns and is scorn from his last defeat at DK. So he sets out to recruit Ghastly King's help. Ghastly obviously agrees to help but hes been secretly repairing Tiki Tong as its revealed it was him who built the Tikis in the first place. So all 3 board Fredricks flying ship to attack DK Island once more. When they get there they realize K.Rool and the Kremlings have gotten to the hoard first. Ghastly needs the bananas to power Tiki Tong. So Ghastly fights K.Rool for them. K.Rool beats him so Fredrick comes to an idea. How about they all team up together to rid DK Island of their hoard, take over their home, and rid the world of the Kongs for good.

K.Rool agrees so they sneak into the hoard take the bananas and in the night K.Rool, Fredrick, and Ghastly kidnap Diddy, Dixie, Kiddy, Lanky, Cranky, and Funky. DK wakes up the next morning and realize the Hoard and the Kongs are gone. Squawks comes down and tells DK that all his past foes have returned and are out for revenge. The Adventure begins..

Game is structured like this 6 worlds just like TF. However since the Kong family is kidnapped the only Kong (besides DK) you have access to near the beginning is Diddy (you find him in a barrel in level 1 like previous games) HOWEVER in this game they are not glorified power-ups they function like a mix between classic Rare DKC and DK64. All having special abilites and controlled seperately.

DK - Is the standard. Medium ground speed but is the only one who can ground pound now and he can kill tougher enemies in one hit. Obviously since DK is the only one who can groundpound now hes the only one that can find hidden puzzle pieces and access bonus rooms that require ground pounding.

Diddy- Fastest Kong and can float over gaps with Jetpack his goes straight but ascends at an upward angle and can stun enemies with peanut popgun for very small amount of time.

Dixie - Fastest Swimmer, has double jump, and her spinning hair to get over gaps back (works the same as Diddy's jetpack except hers goes at a downward angle after long use like the old games). You unlock her after rescuing her from the World 2 boss.

Cranky - Pogo stick cane to hop over dangerous hazards and the fastest climber but slowest ground speed and jump height (without using pogo). The idea is to pogo as much as possible and keep the momentum. Can also whack enemies with his cane as method of attack. Cane leaves enemies stunned for a long period of time. You unlock him after beating the world 3 boss.

Kiddy - Hes making a return! You unlock him after beating the world 1 boss. His special abilities are invincibilty for short periods of time after collecting a certain number of bananas. Being able to lift metal barrels and chucking them at enemies. Metal barrels destroy terrain/doors that lead to puzzle pieces, 1-ups, and bonus rooms.

Funky Kong - His special abilities include being able to roll indefinitely and he has 2 extra hit points. Hes the last Kong you unlock in World 5.

Lanky Kong - The special abilities for Lanky include being able to inflate himself just like a balloon which lets him ascend to secret paths/areas only he can access. He can also handstand when he needs to! Basically when he runs on his hands hes the fastest kong in the game but hes vulnerable to attack. Not really that useful except for speedruns. He can also stretch his arms out just for you! Basically Lanky has the longest reach when it comes to vine swinging. Its easier to grab vines when swinging and also really useful for speedruns. You unlock Lanky in World 4 after defeating the boss.

Once you reach the "final boss" it's Tiki Tong, Fredrick, and Ghastly King all aboard Fredricks ship sitting back on top of DK Island. In a 3 phase boss each phase consiting of 3 hits each. A cutscene activates once you beat all of them, laying on the ground at the hands of defeat by the Kongs. The Kongs think they have won but they see 2 Kritters escaping with the banana hoard. The Kongs follow them and see that Crocodile Isle and the Blast-O-Matic has been rebuilt. The Blast-O-Matic starts charging up and blows up the top half of DK Island where Fredrick, Tiki Tong, and Ghastly King are. Killing all 3 of them in the process. Cuts back to K.Rool sitting on his throne with a smile on his face saying "If anyone is going to destroy the Kongs its me and not these sad wannabes". DK Island starts crumbling apart with rocks raining down apon DK Island. The Kongs rush over to Crocodile Isle where the true final level and boss battle begins.

K.Rool is the real final boss it takes 9 hits to defeat him. Once defeated a final cutscene is activated with DK punching K.Rool out of a mechanized crocodile Isle sinking into the ocean. K.Rool flying in the air landing headfirst into the sand. The Kong family return back to DK Isle littered in debris of fallen rocks, trees. But happy to be back home and all their enemies defeated. The Kongs then start repairing their island/home.

Secret ending: If you collect all the puzzle pieces, Kong letters, and beat all the K levels. You get a secret cutscene/photo showing that some time has passed and "renovation" on DK island had been complete and it resembles the original DK Island from the Rare games and not the modern one from the Retro games but obviously still taking some elements from it.

Travix Man

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TravixMan
I have a question about clones, I see a lot of criticism for characters like Peachette in Mario Kart. I hear they use characters like that because it’s easy to implement them.

What about characters like Funky, Dixie, Stanley? Can they reuse assets from others to make them or does it not work like that?
As someone who made character mods for Mario Kart Wii for eight years, I can say that Nintendo actually reused assets quite a bit to make characters in that game.

Believe it or not, Funky's bones were actually reused from Donkey Kong's bones in Mario Kart Wii, tie and all. There was just nothing rigged to the tie bone for Funky Kong's bones though, since he has no tie. The animations were different as well.

Likewise, Mario and Luigi also share the same boneset as well as characters like Bowser and Dry Bowser, Peach and Daisy, the babies, etc. A lot of the characters that were in Mario Kart Double Dash also had their character select animations ported from that game as well, with even leftover files from Paratroopa mixed in with Koopa Troopa's files (Paratroopa's wings have their texture with Koopa's texture, and Koopa has some unused wing bones).

I can't say for sure if they have done the same with modern games like Mario Kart 8 and Tour, but I wouldn't be surprised if those games' characters had similar assets that were reused to make clone slots.

Last edited:

Travix Man

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TravixMan
Um, I think you accidentally included your response in the quote.
Thank you for catching that! I had to get out of class so I turned off my laptop without realizing I messed up my whole post. The post is now edited to fully show what I posted.

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
This has been retweeted by the Dixie for Smash twitter, but I wanted to put it here as well. I'm literally speechless to how good this is, it's like the magnum opus for DK art.
This is the magnum opus of DK fanart. Pure perfection. I want a copy of that poster to hang up on my wall.

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Hey if you could have a game where Dixie Kong starred in a crossover with any video game character, who would you choose?

I wanna say Dixie and Rayman, but I think that's too easy. So, I'd say Sly Cooper. He's a master thief who's got a knack for stealth so naturally he can weave in and out of obstacles and sneak around enemies; that compliments Dixie's monkey nimbleness and provides a good contrast. While both are excellent for avoiding hazards, Sly's 100% grounded while Dixie would prefer the air. Both are graceful, and while hard to hit, a flying Kong would be an excellent distraction for a stealthy raccoon. Both can hang onto hooks with either Dixie's hair or Sly's cane, and both would have tricks up their sleeves, either with Sly playing dirty and Dixie's surprising hair abilities.

What crossover would y'all choose?

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
i think it would be cool if dixie crossed over with diddy from diddy kong racing

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I think Dixie Kong should cross over with Mario, Dr. Mario, Luigi, Princess Peach, Rosalina, Wario, Yoshi, Bowser, Kirby, King Dedede, Samus, Fox, Falco, Wolf, Link, Toon Link, Young Link, Zelda, Sheik, Pikachu, Pichu, Pokémon Trainer, Lucario, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, Greninja, Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Mii Fighter, Wii Fit Trainer, Captain Falcon, Mega Man, Marth, Roy, Ike, Villager, R.O.B., Mr. Game and Watch, Shulk, Snake, Meta Knight, Pit, Dark Pit, Lucina, Sonic, Ness, Lucas, Olimar, Little Mac, Pac Man, Bowser Jr., Ryu, Cloud, Bayonetta, Duck Hunt, Ice Climbers, Zero Suit Samus, Robin, Corrin, Palutena, Ridley, Simon Belmont, Richter, Dark Samus, King K. Rool, Inklings, Isabelle, Ken, Incineroar, Daisy, Chrom, Piranha Plant, Joker, Hero, Banjo-Kazooie, and Terry Bogard from the Smash Brothers franchise. It would be great seeing Dixie interact with the cast of that game.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I'd like to see Dixie Kong cross over with Shantae. They can bond over their damaging ponytails, as well as Shantae's monkey form.

Dixie Kong is still her usual design, though, no "main female Shantae character" proportions. You know what I mean.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I'd like to see Dixie Kong cross over with Shantae. They can bond over their damaging ponytails, as well as Shantae's monkey form.

Dixie Kong is still her usual design, though, no "main female Shantae character" proportions. You know what I mean.
Maybe she gets a pirate bandana in place of her beanie hat? Definitely keep her normal physique though like you said.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Maybe she gets a pirate bandana in place of her beanie hat? Definitely keep her normal physique though like you said.
I haven't played enough of Shantae (most of the GBC game and the beginning of the DSi game and Pirate's Curse), but I've played enough to know that they would be gal pals.

I just wanna see more of Dixie having a bunch of girlfriends to talk to since we barely ever see Dixie hanging out with any, it's usually the other male Kongs and K. Rool (and I guess the Brothers Bear). Tiny's her sister but we don't see that relationship explored in DK 64 cuz she missed out on that game (though I think it's touched upon in some DK spin-offs and one of the Mario Baseball games).

Hmm...if only something major happened with Dixie, where she was featured in a game...with lots of other women to hang with...wouldn't it be nice to see fan art of that, I wonder? :dr^_^:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Any mainline DK game will honestly do now. I don't think it's likely they are gonna include villains from all over the board however. When has that ever happened before? Just bring K.Rool back, there's no need for nobody else. Unless they make K.Rool part of the playable character cast. In which case, sure a new villain is alright.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Any mainline DK game will honestly do now. I don't think it's likely they are gonna include villains from all over the board however. When has that ever happened before? Just bring K.Rool back, there's no need for nobody else. Unless they make K.Rool part of the playable character cast. In which case, sure a new villain is alright.
I know that I was just making a fun what if scenario. Of course I would love K.Rool to return and be the ONLY villain in the game and every game afterwards.

Edit: So I just watched Jirard "The Completionist" top 10 Smash DLC characters he wanted and I was SHOCKED to see he didnt include Dixie in his list considering DKC2 is his favorite videogame of all time as well as DK being one of his favorite videogame franchises (he uses DKC music in ALL of his videos). What's it gonna take for Dixie Kong to get the exposure and recognition she deserves?

Anyway if Dixie does get added to Smash one thing Im REALLY looking forward to is how Sakurai animates her. K.Rool, Donkey, and Diddy have some of the best/funniest/most cartoony facial expressions in Smash. K.Rool has the best walk animation hands down. So Im excited to see how Sakurai decides to animate Dixie. Does he continue with the overexaggerated faces? Or does he keep it more "reserved" for Dixie.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I wonder what DK merchandise would be at the store if they did include it. Everyone knows the obvious DK and Diddy plushies/figures, and a pipe dream would be Dixie, K. Rool, Funky, Tiny, Cranky, etc. plushies/figures as well, but aside from the characters, I could see stuff like barrels and Bananas being included as well.

Any other ideas?

Also enjoy this photo taken by yours truly at the Nintendo NY store, if anyone wanted to see a store that does has DK love.
1571875395514.png

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I haven't played enough of Shantae (most of the GBC game and the beginning of the DSi game and Pirate's Curse), but I've played enough to know that they would be gal pals.

I just wanna see more of Dixie having a bunch of girlfriends to talk to since we barely ever see Dixie hanging out with any, it's usually the other male Kongs and K. Rool (and I guess the Brothers Bear). Tiny's her sister but we don't see that relationship explored in DK 64 cuz she missed out on that game (though I think it's touched upon in some DK spin-offs and one of the Mario Baseball games).

Hmm...if only something major happened with Dixie, where she was featured in a game...with lots of other women to hang with...wouldn't it be nice to see fan art of that, I wonder? :dr^_^:
Hopefully, if Dixie gets in, she'll have at least one other female DLC buddy to get in with her (aside from Kazooie). Wonder who would it be? Maybe Shantae can also join her in that crossover you mentioned.

In the mean time, enjoy Dixie hanging out with her Rare gal pals.

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I just put her next to K. Rool since she felt like a third wheel with DK and Diddy. I didn't want to mess with the "horizontal flow" of the image, too.

Yknow, most wouldn't be so considerate in regards to her placement. She's such an afterthought for a lot of people and usually just stuck next to Diddy. Thanks for being thoughtful.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Let's say you guys could re-imagine DKC3. By this I don't mean remake; that's more along the lines of graphical overhaul and improvement. I'm talking a straight up do-over like the PS4 Ratchet & Clank or Oddworld Soulstorm. You take the original as a starting point, change up or enhance the plot/tone however you want and add whatever gameplay elements you desire to make a game that is more a successor than a remake. If you had the chance to do that with DKC3, how would you go about it?

I'd expand the overworld and make it even more dynamic; basically take Impossible Lair's overworld to the next level with vehicle-related mechanics and exploration. I'd overhaul KAOS and K. Rool's boss fights, make both more menacing: K. Rool more sinister/sadistic, KAOS more threatening/imposing. Go full on Deathbot with him.

My biggest change however would be this: instead of an adventure with Dixie and Kiddy, you just have Dixie....and you must save Diddy and DK to unlock them, but you don't get them at the end of the game. You rescue them separately at certain points in the story; you save DK first after a couple worlds or so then save Diddy a little while after. Each Kong plays like their Tropical Freeze incarnations but with tweaks. DK gets his Kongo Clap from the Wii version of Jungle Beat, and instead of hovering Diddy bursts forward with his jets a small distance. Dixie keeps her Double Jump, but if you hold it after pressing in midair she descends identically to her original descent, but it will be slightly nerfed. Kiddy and Candy are KAOS's new brain-victims; you must save them and stop the antagonists from simultaneously bombing the Kremisphere (KAOS) and toxifying the environment (K. Rool).

You can choose which Kong(s) you want to play as. DK can have Diddy or Dixie on his shoulders, Dixie can travel with DK carried in her hair (think Kazooie's Talon Trot); this allows you to swap between Dixie and DK by them literally flipping over on their side, but Dixie and Diddy can only be on the screen together in co-op. The tag-along style of the old DKCs is gone due to hitbox issues and logic problems of a kong aping the leader. Also, the totem pole shoulder-riding of DKC2 is cumbersome in this new format so it gets cut. Only DK can groundpound; Diddy can shoot enemies and targets out of reach, and Dixie can swing off hooks with her hair as well as use bubblegum grenades in certain areas. It's her game so she gets more perks.

Levels are redesigned and built with Retro's level design philosophy as a base. You can swap between any Kong in the overworld, and only in levels if a Tag Barrel a la DK64 is present. Some don't have this however. Dixie gets most of the focus, being the Kong from the start and having an extra ability. DK is more aggressive, Dixie has the most options and Diddy is ideal for speedruns. Quick rundown:

DK: Groundpound, Soundwave, can carry Diddy or Dixie and use their abilities.
Diddy: Shoot targets and stun foes, jetburst to dash forward.
Dixie: Carry DK, Double-jump/hover, swing on hooks and throw bubblegum grenades

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
And there is a sidequest once you finish the game where you have to find a special healing flower to cure Wrinkly who has fallen ill. Bramble Bear tells you the flower is in this grove in a secret location on the world map. You complete the tough as nails level and get the flower. But when you go back to Wrinkly's Save Cave, it's already too late. Players who finish the level in record speed can reach Wrinkly's Save Cave fast enough to say goodbye.

Oh, but don't worry, Wrinkly emerges as a ghost after a few minutes in all endings.

Bramble Bear was lying about the flower, by the way. It's just a normal flower with no healing properties. Bramble wanted to make a point about being too trusting. The Kongs proceed to beat Bramble up.

Last edited:

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
keep dkc3 exactly the same but replace kiddy kong with a large boulder

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
And there is a sidequest once you finish the game where you have to find a special healing flower to cure Wrinkly who has fallen ill. Bramble Bear tells you the flower is in this grove in a secret location on the world map. You complete the tough as nails level and get the flower. But when you go back to Wrinkly's Save Cave, it's already too late. Players who finish the level in record speed can reach Wrinkly's Save Cave fast enough to say goodbye.

Oh, but don't worry, Wrinkly emerges as a ghost after a few minutes in all endings.

Bramble Bear was lying about the flower, by the way. It's just a normal flower with no healing properties. Bramble wanted to make a point about being too trusting. The Kongs proceed to beat Bramble up.
...God damn.

If they do it just right, they could make me more mournful than when I played through Seashore War. Man I remember getting to that level; I loved the Beach area in Returns and that was when the game established its own identity for me. Most of the music and levels were pure fun and well-designed, plus the environment was very pretty, especially for Wii graphics. Then I saw what the Snowmads did to the place and it hit me like a brick. They didn't just coat the island in ice, they destroyed it. It wasn't beautiful anymore, it was desolate, sad and quiet. The warm sandy colors and deep blue waves were dulled out and subdued. It looked and felt lifeless, like Spiral Mountain in Banjo-Tooie. The plants and animals were never meant to face climates that cold; how many inhabitants froze to death or tried to flee the instant cold snap that they didn't have time to prepare for? All the homes ruined, plants annihilated and lives ended so the Snowmads could have a place to stay. Seeing my favorite area of Returns reduced to a shipwreck riddled graveyard sealed in ice really upset me.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trauma

Yeah, that level is great. Everything they did with the last world was great.
They showed so much love and passion and creativity in what they were doing, in changing DK Island to show how the Snowmads had changed it. One of the best examples of that DKC moodiness that I have sometimes been critical of the Retro games for lacking. They did a wonderful job on that.

Now if only the frozen DK island had DK's face.

Quillion

Smash Hero
One of the best examples of that DKC moodiness that I have sometimes been critical of the Retro games for lacking.
Oh, you're soneone who actually noticed that. I admit that initially, I didn't like how Retro's DKC was so much more action-oriented and exaggerated compared to Rare's DKC.

Nowadays though, I kinda like that Retro actually went for their own identity. Not like how NSMB slavishly tries to ape SMB3's structure.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
I think a lot of people noticed that.

However, I don't think they were that far off. There's just something about the character design and the art style in general that I don't really like. The lighting too. It's so flat. And I was just disappointed that so many things from the OG DKC games were forgotten, especially in the first Retro game.

But it's a huge return to form from DK64 and DKJB which didn't get DKC's moodiness at all.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Let's say you guys could re-imagine DKC3. By this I don't mean remake; that's more along the lines of graphical overhaul and improvement. I'm talking a straight up do-over like the PS4 Ratchet & Clank or Oddworld Soulstorm. You take the original as a starting point, change up or enhance the plot/tone however you want and add whatever gameplay elements you desire to make a game that is more a successor than a remake. If you had the chance to do that with DKC3, how would you go about it?

I'd expand the overworld and make it even more dynamic; basically take Impossible Lair's overworld to the next level with vehicle-related mechanics and exploration. I'd overhaul KAOS and K. Rool's boss fights, make both more menacing: K. Rool more sinister/sadistic, KAOS more threatening/imposing. Go full on Deathbot with him.

My biggest change however would be this: instead of an adventure with Dixie and Kiddy, you just have Dixie....and you must save Diddy and DK to unlock them, but you don't get them at the end of the game. You rescue them separately at certain points in the story; you save DK first after a couple worlds or so then save Diddy a little while after. Each Kong plays like their Tropical Freeze incarnations but with tweaks. DK gets his Kongo Clap from the Wii version of Jungle Beat, and instead of hovering Diddy bursts forward with his jets a small distance. Dixie keeps her Double Jump, but if you hold it after pressing in midair she descends identically to her original descent, but it will be slightly nerfed. Kiddy and Candy are KAOS's new brain-victims; you must save them and stop the antagonists from simultaneously bombing the Kremisphere (KAOS) and toxifying the environment (K. Rool).

You can choose which Kong(s) you want to play as. DK can have Diddy or Dixie on his shoulders, Dixie can travel with DK carried in her hair (think Kazooie's Talon Trot); this allows you to swap between Dixie and DK by them literally flipping over on their side, but Dixie and Diddy can only be on the screen together in co-op. The tag-along style of the old DKCs is gone due to hitbox issues and logic problems of a kong aping the leader. Also, the totem pole shoulder-riding of DKC2 is cumbersome in this new format so it gets cut. Only DK can groundpound; Diddy can shoot enemies and targets out of reach, and Dixie can swing off hooks with her hair as well as use bubblegum grenades in certain areas. It's her game so she gets more perks.

Levels are redesigned and built with Retro's level design philosophy as a base. You can swap between any Kong in the overworld, and only in levels if a Tag Barrel a la DK64 is present. Some don't have this however. Dixie gets most of the focus, being the Kong from the start and having an extra ability. DK is more aggressive, Dixie has the most options and Diddy is ideal for speedruns. Quick rundown:

DK: Groundpound, Soundwave, can carry Diddy or Dixie and use their abilities.
Diddy: Shoot targets and stun foes, jetburst to dash forward.
Dixie: Carry DK, Double-jump/hover, swing on hooks and throw bubblegum grenades
I'd change things around.

Basically I would make Diddy and Dixie like the original tag team of the SNES games, and DK would only be playable on his own. Diddy and Dixie would only each be able to take one hit, or two weak hits. But DK can take 3 strong hits on his own, at the expense of running speed, and some certain abilities that can only be achieved by Diddy or Dixie. Like making large jumps to bonus areas, and far off reach platforms.

Each Kongs unique ability would also make a major gameplay difference.

DK; Hold down 'roll' while you don't move to charge up a powerful punch, yes exactly like in Smash! Giant Punch makes a DKC platform entry. However you can't hold it in untill you want, the charge goes away after 10 seconds (or you'll lose Bananas while you keep the charge), this for giving it a few penalties instead of only advantages. The Gaint Punch can also break walls like Rambi can. You can do the same by holding ground slap, to stun grounded enemies in reach. DK can take 3 strong hits, that's attacks from Bosses, or strong enemies as a Zinger, Krusha and Klump.

Diddy; runs and climbs a little faster than the others, and his unique ability would be a powered up chartwheel. Hold 'roll' while running to charge up a Super Cartwheel that makes it possible to row through enemies easier and also stun heavier enemies on occasion. Diddy can take 2 weaker hits only and 1 strong hit, weaker hits are from enemies like Klap Traps, Mini Necky and Gnawty.

Dixie; has her traditional Helicopter Spin of course. That's already a huge boon on it's own. Dixie can also take 2 weak hits and 1 strong hit. She throws barrels farther than Diddy.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I think a lot of people noticed that.

However, I don't think they were that far off. There's just something about the character design and the art style in general that I don't really like. The lighting too. It's so flat. And I was just disappointed that so many things from the OG DKC games were forgotten, especially in the first Retro game.

But it's a huge return to form from DK64 and DKJB which didn't get DKC's moodiness at all.
Come to think of it, DK's ambiance is a weird combo IMO. First you have cartoony animals doing cartoony things like tossing barrels, using swords that get stuck in the ground, and bouncing on their tails, then you get some kind of Metroid-style atmosphere in the music.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
^the environments tie that contrast together imo. the level designs in the original games (i'm thinking dkc2 specifically) have cartoony and fantastical elements to them, but also tend to use somewhat realistic and muted color palettes and the levels are often constructed in a way that makes sense physically (dkc1's weird floating tires nonwithstanding).

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I'd change things around.

Basically I would make Diddy and Dixie like the original tag team of the SNES games, and DK would only be playable on his own. Diddy and Dixie would only each be able to take one hit, or two weak hits. But DK can take 3 strong hits on his own, at the expense of running speed, and some certain abilities that can only be achieved by Diddy or Dixie. Like making large jumps to bonus areas, and far off reach platforms.

Each Kongs unique ability would also make a major gameplay difference.

DK; Hold down 'roll' while you don't move to charge up a powerful punch, yes exactly like in Smash! Giant Punch makes a DKC platform entry. However you can't hold it in untill you want, the charge goes away after 10 seconds (or you'll lose Bananas while you keep the charge), this for giving it a few penalties instead of only advantages. The Gaint Punch can also break walls like Rambi can. You can do the same by holding ground slap, to stun grounded enemies in reach. DK can take 3 strong hits, that's attacks from Bosses, or strong enemies as a Zinger, Krusha and Klump.

Diddy; runs and climbs a little faster than the others, and his unique ability would be a powered up chartwheel. Hold 'roll' while running to charge up a Super Cartwheel that makes it possible to row through enemies easier and also stun heavier enemies on occasion. Diddy can take 2 weaker hits only and 1 strong hit, weaker hits are from enemies like Klap Traps, Mini Necky and Gnawty.

Dixie; has her traditional Helicopter Spin of course. That's already a huge boon on it's own. Dixie can also take 2 weak hits and 1 strong hit. She throws barrels farther than Diddy.
I like the Giant Punch mechanic, especially in regards to it draining bananas. Gives plenty of incentive to collect all of them.

SeashoreWar

Smash Journeyman
Second set of characters for Donkey Kong Racing!

Chunky, who has a become a gym rat and started his own gym in his long absence.

Kritter, who has elements from his old and new designs.

And Tiptup and Snide, who both didn't get a ton of changes.

Hopefully the next set won't take as long!

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
Things are going very well on Twitter. We got 50 followers in like a week. Not sure what's going on but I hope it continues.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Second set of characters for Donkey Kong Racing!

Chunky, who has a become a gym rat and started his own gym in his long absence.

Kritter, who has elements from his old and new designs.

And Tiptup and Snide, who both didn't get a ton of changes.

Hopefully the next set won't take as long!
That's awesome! I like the little spike shoulder pads on Kritter. And Chunky being a wrestler does fit. I like your outfit better for him, too. And that might be the first fan art of Snide ever created.

Donkey Kong Racing, the game that got away...

And that SeashoreWar is bringing us anyway.

I'm very busy right now so I'll get to posting it in a little bit. If Sabertooth can get to it faster, maybe he will. And if you want to post it on your own twitter, you can tag us or message us or whatever.

SeashoreWar

Smash Journeyman
That's awesome! I like the little spike shoulder pads on Kritter. And Chunky being a wrestler does fit. I like your outfit better for him, too. And that might be the first fan art of Snide ever created.

Donkey Kong Racing, the game that got away...

And that SeashoreWar is bringing us anyway.

I'm very busy right now so I'll get to posting it in a little bit. If Sabertooth can get to it faster, maybe he will. And if you want to post it on your own twitter, you can tag us or message us or whatever.
Thanks! You guys can always post my stuff.

Top Bottom