• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
i would be down for a life sim set on DK Island tbh

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I wish we could get some kind of hint or sign that Dixie Kong is miraculous DLC in Smash. Something like a datamine codename or something. I really want Dixie Kong in this game. :sadeyes:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Surely this would make Animal Crossing better, right?
View attachment 256521
New Leaf had an update years after it came out that let you invite villagers based on other Nintendo characters. I forget who they all were, but one of them was Ganon, as in the blue pig version.

If New Horizons does something similar, it would be nice to invite DK characters, which, yes can include Dixie Kong.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord

I was okay with Candy being gone, with Wrinkly quietly filling in as the female NPC Kong.

What about you, do you miss Candy? I still like that one redesign another user posted here a while back for Candy, making her look more like a female Donkey Kong with a punk aesthetic.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

I was okay with Candy being gone, with Wrinkly quietly filling in as the female NPC Kong.

What about you, do you miss Candy? I still like that one redesign another user posted here a while back for Candy, making her look more like a female Donkey Kong with a punk aesthetic.

I think if they were able to drastically alter Tiny's design they could certainly do the reverse for both her and Candy. It doesn't have to be a drastic reworking either, just something more in the middle ground.

It would be nice to have more than one female Kong among the regular cast.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
if they made Tiny taller then they should make Candy short. it's only fair.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
I think Wrinkly fits the "matriarch" role more than Candy. Candy may have a role, hopefully with a redesign and a rethinking of her character, but I don't think matriarch is it.

smashkirby

Smash Hero

Honestly? I always felt her, er... 'attention-grabbers' aside, Candy's DK64 design (IMO) would be the ideal middle ground for her. Maybe tone down her 'attention-grabbers' a certain amount, and she should be good.

Of course, I really hope Wrinkly returns to the mainline DK games one day as well. Say, wasn't it said somewhere that Cranky Kong became far less of a curmudgeon following her passing?

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I think the main problem with Candy is really her face, she just looks like Homer Simpson lol

Look at this fanart

It's not nearly as much of an eyesore because it tones down the ape-like features of her face.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Thanks! I always make sure to focus on the face :laugh:
No problem. That's one of the hardest things about any Kong. You gotta find the right balance between a Homer Simpson mouth and an expressive shape that's not too big but not human either. It's tough but you're doing a great job getting it just right.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

I do like Candy's design and personality so I wish she'd feature more in the games, but I dunno if I'd describe her as a mother figure just like I don't see DK himself as a father figure. They're more like your cool aunt and uncle, I guess.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Yes, DK, Funky, Candy are all in that cool aunt and uncle tier. Swanky is in scammer uncle tier.
Swanky is absolutely the uncle who takes you aside during a party, drunk off his ass, and lets you know about "an opportunity" a shady friend of his is offering and thinks you would be a good fit, despite never offering any details on what this job would entail.

After awkwardly leaving him and getting back to the party, you find out he peed on the rug and broke open your piggy bank to steal your Banana Coins before passing out on your bed.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

I liked Candy Kong, she just has that Rare humor and sexualisation in her design, especially in DK64. The DK64 redesign is fresh enough to use this modern day. Wrinkly and her school where real cool don't get me wrong, but she's best served as a tutor of sorts. Candy can just.. be there, and not really fill a role except to give DK a girlfriend. Nothing wrong with it. The more Rare characters the better. I mean , we all like Krystal and she's also sexualised. Candy does the same thing but she's no playable character.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I would love EAD Tokyo to work on DK again EXCEPT this time keep all the characters we love like Diddy, Dixie, Funky, and K.Rool. Not toss them aside as "they weren't fresh enough" like Koizumi did with Jungle Beat. Luckily it seems like Koizumi learned his lesson with all the New Donk City references he threw into Odyssey.
This is my choice as well. EAD is able to make real good quality games and are able to dig deep into the lore, if they want too. Jungle Beat is a good game, it's just a shame they did what they did with the characters and everything and tried to replace it with their own. They are able to achieve the level of quirkiness that Rare had with Oddysey, however I'd prefer a game more like Mario Galaxy with more action and less gimmicks.

A battle system like Jungle Beats Kong vs Kong boss battles would be great, but replace it with Kong Vs Kremling, give each Kong a distinct style of fighting and special moves and combine it with a bit of platforming. Like, engage the enemy while jumping or rolling at them to stun them, and they rush in close to pummel them. Kinda like how you finish off bosses in Returns and Tropical Freeze. Weapons and barrels could also be used like this.

Basic attack buttons could be Brawl, Roll, Grab and Jump, and each Kong having specialities and abilities that set them apart.

DK: Brawl and Grab expert. Charge up Brawl punch to unleash Giant Punch and OHKO enemies and do major damage to bosses. Can throw smaller enemies into bigger enemies when stunned.

Diddy: Roll and Jump expert. Charge up Roll to do a Super Charged Cartwheel rolling through enemies doing more damage than usual. Charge Jump to temporarily use the Rocket Barrels to blast through the level and reach far off places and do a high risk high reward sky strike.

Dixie: Jump and Grab expert. Charge Jump to Helicopter Spin and charge Grab to do hair swirl throws.

It's so easy to think of unique gameplay mechanics if you take the Kongs personality and unique abilities in account. It's weird they we haven't had any game that really shows this off.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
I've stated my opinion on Candy in the past. Im indifferent to her. Her actual character/personality is just "flirtatious and sexual innuendo" those characters exist and can be cool (Like Jessica Rabbit for instance) its just compared to the rest of the DK cast she feels the less "fleshed out" IMO.

I HATE her DKC design its awful. Her DK64 design is good but I like her Paon design the best. I feel it tones down the sexual nature and emphasizes her kong nature while not looking butt ugly like her DKC design does. Like I said if she returns to the series great and if she never does Im fine with that too where as someone like K.Rool if he doesnt return in the next mainline DK game Im rioting in the f***** streets!

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I'd be 100% fine with Candy, Kiddy and Swanky never returning.
I agree. Now that K. Rool and likely the Kremlings are coming back in the next DKCR game due to obviously K. Rool being in Smash, Lanky is the only DK character left I want to see make their grand return to the franchise.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
The nonbeliever heathen witch TheJWittz has put Dixie on his list of characters he doesn't want. Let's dislike the video to oblivion bois.

I dunno if this is tongue in cheek or not, but I don't believe in dislike bombing.

Also, eh, I haven't been paying attention to him for a while.

But yeah, bit sad he doesn't want Dixie, oh well.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
The nonbeliever heathen witch TheJWittz has put Dixie on his list of characters he doesn't want. Let's dislike the video to oblivion bois.

Okay, I got to watch this now. Geno and Dixie? Who else? Like does he have bad taste or something in saying characters like that shouldn't be in.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Okay, I got to watch this now. Geno and Dixie? Who else? Like does he have bad taste or something in saying characters like that shouldn't be in.
I'll list the characters, though it might be worth watching the video to hear his reasons (I could try to sum them up, but it's probably best to hear it from him)

10. Captain Toad
9. Dixie Kong
8. Phoenix Wright
7. Rayman
6. Byleth
5. Doom Slayer
4. Bandanna Dee
3. Geno
2. Chorus Kids
1. Goku

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I'll list the characters, though it might be worth watching the video to hear his reasons (I could try to sum them up, but it's probably best to hear it from him)

10. Captain Toad
9. Dixie Kong
8. Phoenix Wright
7. Rayman
6. Byleth
5. Doom Slayer
4. Bandanna Dee
3. Geno
2. Chorus Kids
1. Goku
I already watched it and I didn't like his opinions on Dixie, Geno, and Bandana Dee. Especially Dixie. If Dixie isn't unique enough for Smash than I guess Diddy Kong shouldn't have been either.

DeniroSerafim

Smash Apprentice
Besides him not wanting Goku, this might be one of the worst list videos I've ever seen lmao. Every character he listed would be perfectly fine in Smash.

Ghostwolf35

Smash Cadet
It's been quite a long while since I've posted something here, but I do have a comment about that video. I only watched to see what he said about Dixie and I suppose it wasn't too bad. It's not like he said she was a bad character, just that he didn't think she was that unique. Obviously, I disagree with that, as I think she has plenty of moveset potential, and Sakurai does a great job creating new moves. Though I'm a little worried that Sakurai might not see enough moveset potential for Dixie either, but we'll just have to wait and see.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
It's been quite a long while since I've posted something here, but I do have a comment about that video. I only watched to see what he said about Dixie and I suppose it wasn't too bad. It's not like he said she was a bad character, just that he didn't think she was that unique. Obviously, I disagree with that, as I think she has plenty of moveset potential, and Sakurai does a great job creating new moves. I'm a little worried that Sakurai might not see enough moveset potential for Dixie either, but we'll just have to wait and see.
Welcome back. :)

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

10. Captain Toad
9. Dixie Kong
8. Phoenix Wright
7. Rayman
6. Byleth
5. Doom Slayer
4. Bandanna Dee
3. Geno
2. Chorus Kids
1. Goku
Well damn, aside from the obvious number 1 I support nearly all of those characters, and even Rayman I'd be fine with, so that video's not for me. I find it hard to believe that there would be compelling arguments against those characters (save for Geno, who I understand is controversial). Given the arguments I've heard from 10-8, I dread to find out what he said about the other characters.

Top Bottom