• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Found this little relic from long ago.

Wish those last two characters could've gotten in. I miss the days when Dixie and Krystal were pretty much on equal levels of popularity to Ridley and Rool in the fandom (or at least not nearly as less popular as they are now), instead of now lagging far behind the two due to two of them getting in and the other two being slowly forgotten.

It sure would be lovely to see Dixie and Krystal also get modernized Smash Ultimate playable character art and beautiful CGI trailers and spots in tons of fan art all over the internet and the respect they deserve in forums, like what happened to once mocked characters like Ridley, Rool, and Banjo before they were added.

Last edited:

Mary H.

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1676-4537-1982

I found a similar relic too. I drew this a few years ago. Over time each character has gradually been added to Smash, with Dixie now being the only one left. Maybe 2020 will finally be the year.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord

I found a similar relic too. I drew this a few years ago. Over time each character has gradually been added to Smash, with Dixie now being the only one left. Maybe 2020 will finally be the year.
This is real adorable! I like the way you drew Zelda and Samus (at least that's who I'm assuming are the purple and light blue Game Boy ones).

Last edited:

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
Odds of the third game in the new DK country series being revealed at E3 with Dixie as Smash DLC to promote it?

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
Odds of the third game in the new DK country series being revealed at E3 with Dixie as Smash DLC to promote it?
I would absolutely love that buuuuuuuuut..... Retro is making Prime 4 and whatever happened between Tropical Freeze and the announcement of Prime 4 starting from stratch, it wasn't the making of another Donkey Kong game. As much as it pains me.

IMO Nintendo's fastest and more intelligent option is hiring a new western studio that loves DK (*Wink wink* Maybe some british studio that made the unofficial third modern DKC *wink wink*) and tell them to port Returns to Switch (Because it needs a definitive edition so so badly) and / or remaster the original Trilogy Crash N. Sane Trilogy-style (I'm sure someone is going to protest to this, but to be honest, unlike N. Sane Trilogy which ignored the superior analog controls of Crash 3, the controls of SNES DK are already perfect and don't need any touching).

If they can do that. I'm sure they can handle a completely new DK game. But as we are right now. We are basically in the 2000s 2.0. DK is in a void of nothingness waiting for someone to pick him up. Until then, Mario spin offs like Rabbids DLCs will be it. I think Ubisoft mentioned that some studio was taking care of the DK IP when they were asking permission for things. But after that nothing has happened.

Last edited:

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
A new DKC by Playtonic would be phenomenal. I also think Good-Feel would do a great job. I love their Wario, Kirby, and Yoshi games.

zumaddy

Smash Ace
I wonder if the original DKC trilogy would ever get a new remake. Would there be some legal mess regarding Rare or...?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I wonder if the original DKC trilogy would ever get a new remake. Would there be some legal mess regarding Rare or...?
The only things Rare/Microsoft owns in the classic DKC games is that Killer Instinct poster in Cranky's Conga in DKC2 and the Jetpac game in Cranky's Lab in DK64. Both easily can be removed in a remake.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
A new DKC by Playtonic would be phenomenal. I also think Good-Feel would do a great job. I love their Wario, Kirby, and Yoshi games.
I wouldn't have opposed to that after Woolly World released, because I adore that game. A flaw that many games Good Feel make is that they are always focused on making getting the hidden collectibles hard and if you focus on only doing the platforming, then they are too easy. That's until Woolly World found a nice balance closer to Yoshi's Island and also included the incredibly sadistic secret levels of course *PTSD Screams of Yoshi's Woolly World 5-S*.

But Crafted World was a dissapointment and a step backwards IMO and Tomoya Tomita leaving before that game was made caused the OST to be horrid.

DKC has its own style with its normal levels being fairly challenging for expert players, having a cartoony art style full of life but also being grounded and of course, David Wise's soundtrack.
Playtonic fits that spot incredibly well, great level designers, artists, composers (Not only Wise and Krikhope, Griffin and Murdoch also did incredibly well). Also, I wouldn't mind if the next DK tries to improve on the concept of having an expanded overworld like DKC3 and Yooka Laylee and The Impossible Lair did (Extra points if Grant Kirkhope composes the overworld music).

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
It doesn't seem likely. DKC2 had a reference to a property that's currently owned by Microsoft (Killer Instinct, in Cranky's room), while Donkey Kong 64 had a full game that's currently owned by Microsoft (Jetpac). Both got Virtual Console releases (eventually, in DK64's case - it missed the Wii, but made it on the Wii U) despite that, and if that's an issue, they could remove it from a remake. (the Crash N. Sane Trilogy removed an Uncharted reference when it got released on non-Sony consoles)

Last edited:

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Doom Eternal's Switch exclusives.
View attachment 259935
DKC3 looking a little different. Lol. Nice, I posted it. Thanks!

That's cute! Can we post this on the Dixie twitter and credit you? Or do you have this posted already on somewhere we can share? If you'd rather not, that's OK too, of course.

Mary H.

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1676-4537-1982
DKC3 looking a little different. Lol. Nice, I posted it. Thanks!

That's cute! Can we post this on the Dixie twitter and credit you? Or do you have this posted already on somewhere we can share? If you'd rather not, that's OK too, of course.
Go right ahead! I'd love to add to the Dixie twitter in any way that I can. I don't have a twitter myself, so you can go ahead and make a new post of it.

Spatman

Smash Ace
I'm so glad that Dixie Kong has a real chance once again. Even though I don't care for Byleth, it shows that existing franchises can also be a part of a fighter pass. I still feel like Dixie Kong is the most deserving Nintendo character to join the battle, so hopefully she can join King K. Rool and be a part of the greatest gaming crossover soon!
But that's not true. It could be true only if a new dkc is in advanced phase of development and will be released within 2020 or 2021. And we all know that's much unlikely, considering Retro Studios is working to MP4 whose development restarted from zero less than 2 years ago.

Moreover, we can't be blind and don't consider the fact that the only kind of characters until now that were included to support an about releasing (or just released) game are FE and Pokémon characters. No love for Donkey Kong in that reguard by Nintendo; no reason to be delusional

Hmm, well, back in Smash 4, Sakurai was worried about too many FE characters, so I guess you're right, opinions can change given the time. :laugh:
Oh yes, I remember that sentence by him. After that, he proceeded to add other 2 FE newcomers and a new echo

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
But that's not true. It could be true only if a new dkc is in advanced phase of development and will be released within 2020 or 2021. And we all know that's much unlikely, considering Retro Studios is working to MP4 whose development restarted from zero less than 2 years ago.

Moreover, we can't be blind and don't consider the fact that the only kind of characters until now that were included to support an about releasing (or just released) game are FE and Pokémon characters. No love for Donkey Kong in that reguard by Nintendo; no reason to be delusional
Don't try to shut down people's thoughts like that with such a flawed argument. Promotion is not the only reason to include characters in the game. The base roster had a ton of characters that weren't promoting anything. Most of them were long requested picks.

And the only ones in the first pass that were crearly a promotion were :ulthero: and Byleth.
There was zero reason to promote a game that is exclusively on a rival console :ultjoker: or that belongs to a rival console maker :ultbanjokazooie:

Why did they get chosen? You can use the "it's a third party" card but seriously. :ultbanjokazooie: is basically a first party at heart.

If we see another first party. I'm sure they will pick some fan requests like Rex, Bandana Dee or our Girl. They have to. What's left to promote that wasn't spirited already like Astral Chain?
The gen 8 Pokémon? Oh boy... I will feel bad for whoever gets chosen to represent Sh/Sw if they are included... because those games always leave their mark for all the wrong reasons. At least Byleth came from a critical and fan aclaimed game.

P. D.: Promoting DK has never been Nintendo's priority anyway. There you have Smash 4 releasing the same year as Tropical Freeze and giving DK absolutely nothing but one new stage (That now got cut) and 8 versions of Jungle Hijinx.

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Don't try to shut down people's thoughts like that with such a flawed argument. Promotion is not the only reason to include characters in the game. The base roster had a ton of characters that weren't promoting anything. Most of them were long requested picks.

And the only ones in the first pass that were crearly a promotion were :ulthero: and Byleth.
There was zero reason to promote a game that is exclusively on a rival console :ultjoker: or that belongs to a rival console maker :ultbanjokazooie:

Why did they get chosen? You can use the "it's a third party" card but seriously. :ultbanjokazooie: is basically a first party at heart.

If we see another first party. I'm sure they will pick some fan requests like Rex, Bandana Dee or our Girl. They have to. What's left to promote that wasn't spirited already like Astral Chain?
The gen 8 Pokémon? Oh boy... I will feel bad for whoever gets chosen to represent Sh/Sw if they are included... because those games always leave their mark for all the wrong reasons. At least Byleth came from a critical and fan aclaimed game.
I'm actually hoping for a Gen 8 Pokemon Rep ,But I doubt a Gen 8 Pokemon rep will get the level of backlash a Fire Emblem newcomer would, Some? Of course ,But likely not to that severity.

Mario and Pokemon's are never really questioned when they get a newcomer or when they both have the most representated series because they are the biggest franchises in Super Smash Bros by a long shot, Mario is the face of Nintendo and their flagship franchise, Pokemon is really the only other Nintendo franchise that can rival Mario in terms of sales on a regular basis and global impact and popularity and as it has been mention by many others before it's the "Highest grossing media franchise in the world", These reasons alone are why many fans have already accepted why these 2 powerhouses get special treatment and the most representation as it is viewed as "warranted", Not to mention fans are kind of expecting or preparing for the possibility of a new Pokemon for the season 2 pass which shouldn't be surprising and would make sense to promote the Sword and Shield Expansion DLC.

Fire Emblem is no where near the level of those 2 juggernauts so when hardcore Smash fans see that a franchise that has only started to gain popularity in recent years and gets that level of representation and special treatment than other bigger Nintendo mainstay series that get lesser priority or the cold shoulder because Nintendo wants to push the series more or Sakurai Bias, It really puts a negative spotlight on that franchise.

It also doesn't help that "Most" of the Fire Emblem characters play and look very similarly, Where as Pokemon have way more different looks, aesthetics and have a wide pool of attacks and movesets to work with that really set them apart as the only clone is Pikachu/Pichu from the franchise representation.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I'm actually hoping for a Gen 8 Pokemon Rep ,But I doubt a Gen 8 Pokemon rep will get the level of backlash a Fire Emblem newcomer would, Some? Of course ,But likely not to that severity.

Mario and Pokemon's are never really questioned when they get a newcomer or when they both have the most representated series because they are the biggest franchises in Super Smash Bros by a long shot, Mario is the face of Nintendo and their flagship franchise, Pokemon is really the only other Nintendo franchise that can rival Mario in terms of sales on a regular basis and global impact and popularity and as it has been mention by many others before it's the "Highest grossing media franchise in the world", These reasons alone are why many fans have already accepted why these 2 powerhouses get special treatment and the most representation as it is viewed as "warranted", Not to mention fans are kind of expecting or preparing for the possibility of a new Pokemon for the season 2 pass which shouldn't be surprising and would make sense to promote the Sword and Shield Expansion DLC.

Fire Emblem is no where near the level of those 2 juggernauts so when hardcore Smash fans see that a franchise that has only started to gain popularity in recent years and gets that level of representation and special treatment than other bigger Nintendo mainstay series that get lesser priority or the cold shoulder because Nintendo wants to push the series more or Sakurai Bias, It really puts a negative spotlight on that franchise.

It also doesn't help that "Most" of the Fire Emblem characters play and look very similarly, Where as Pokemon have way more different looks, aesthetics and have a wide pool of attacks and movesets to work with that really set them apart as the only clone is Pikachu/Pichu.
And in the case if Pichu, the fact he is a veteran and he has a pretty different body type to Pikachu helps him. Byleth isn't a veteran and is pretty similar looking to Marth in terms of facial and body structure, which didn't really help his reception. But it's mostly the whole being the eight FE character.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
You can use the "it's a third party" card but seriously. :ultbanjokazooie: is basically a first party at heart.
...is it bad that this sentiment doesn't actually resonate with me? I hear it from a lot of different people, and I do absolutely understand where it comes from; Nintendo actually owned the Banjo-Kazooie IP for a time. And BK was of course a very instrumental game in the N64 library that fit right in with Nintendo's other properties, and people growing up with the game no doubt found it synonymous. But also the franchise has been out of Nintendo's jurisdiction for nearly 20 years now, and has become so far divorced from the Nintendo universe that I can't help but see it as its own thing independent of Nintendo at this point.

I anticipate your snarky replies.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987

It also doesn't help that "Most" of the Fire Emblem characters play and look very similarly, Where as Pokemon have way more different looks, aesthetics and have a wide pool of attacks and movesets to work with that really set them apart as the only clone is Pikachu/Pichu from the franchise representation.
I know why people hate FE in Smash. It's not the FE games themselves. It's the fact that they keep coming and coming non-stop and other 1st party franchises get nothing while FE's representation continues to get bigger to the point of surpassing Zelda (Today it will have the 3rd biggest number of songs I think) and the community finally snapped after :ultcorrin: and started showing they are sick of it. Byleth was a just a fuel station exploding to make the resentment fire get bigger.

For Pokémon now it's the opposite. I see that many people are relatively OK with the playable Pokémon. Even :ultincineroar: became a very loved and fun character to play overall. But the thing is.... the quality of Pokémon Sword and Shield and the overall politics of Game Freak / The Pokémon Company (Did you see the price of the Home subscription today?) are making everyone literally hate Pokémon right now. It's not the fact that it's Pokémon that will make everyone angry. It's that they are including content from a game that is widely disliked and considered the lowest point ever of the franchise.
If the character is fun, I think that initial reaction will fade away (Unlike FE which is still a dead horse being beaten). But I'm not looking forward to include the fury of the Pokémon fanbase into the Smash discussion.

...is it bad that this sentiment doesn't actually resonate with me? I hear it from a lot of different people, and I do absolutely understand where it comes from; Nintendo actually owned the Banjo-Kazooie IP for a time. And BK was of course a very instrumental game in the N64 library that fit right in with Nintendo's other properties, and people growing up with the game no doubt found it synonymous. But also the franchise has been out of Nintendo's jurisdiction for nearly 20 years now, and has become so far divorced from the Nintendo universe that I can't help but see it as its own thing independent of Nintendo at this point.

I honestly don't see a difference between :ultbanjokazooie: and let's say... :ultpit:. Or even older Retro replies like Ice Climbers or Duck Hunt that were also missing in action until Smash rescued them, only who owns the IP rights but the story of being dormant until being brung back by Smash is the same. The fact the character pack in Smash itself mostly references their original adventure (And some music and moves are from Tooie as well) and not the only game that they had in Xbox, helps us to remember the time when he was a Nintendo character of a cartridge we played in the N64.

Last edited:

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
The only things Rare/Microsoft owns in the classic DKC games is that Killer Instinct poster in Cranky's Conga in DKC2 and the Jetpac game in Cranky's Lab in DK64. Both easily can be removed in a remake.
They weren't removed from the 3DS and Wii U re-release. *shrugs*

I mean, you basically spelled out all the reasons people think of Banjo-Kazooie as "first-party at heart." But you forget that Banjo-Kazooie wasn't just a new Nintendo IP, it was the new Nintendo IP for the N64 era. Banjo stood alongside Mario, Link, and Pikachu in ads and packaging. And Nintendo didn't own other Rare properties created around the same time, like Conker, Perfect Dark, and every racer in Diddy Kong Racing except Diddy and Banjo.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord

Well...you kind of answered your own question, But there's more to it than just that.

Banjo-Kazooie is Rare's most popular, beloved and successful IP from their classic catalogue (Excluding DK, But as you know that belongs to Nintendo) with DK out of the picture he was pretty much Rare's de facto mascot.

f7907cdd-935b-41b9-a21f-74e79ef78456.jpg

If you grew up during the N64 era, Banjo-Kazooie were the "New kids on the block" joining Nintendo's cast of 1st Party All-Stars in Mario, Donkey Kong and Pikachu etc, Becoming one of the faces of the Nintendo brand during the late 90's - early 2000's that were in promos, advertisements and on the front cover of Nintendo Power magazines.

Banjo-Kazooie was also a spinoff from the Donkey Kong franchise (via Diddy Kong Racing) which is very fitting because it was created from the "Core" team behind the Donkey Kong Country series, Both franchises have had some refrences and nods to each other like how canonically Banjo-Kazooie is one of Diddy Kong's best friends, Even post buyout Banjo-Kazooie refrences their Nintendo past in "Nuts & Bolts" That's why their Super Smash Bros Ultimate reveal trailer is titled "Best Friends" and it shows based how DK, Diddy and K. Rool were excited to see their old fellow Rareware buddies again. They were pretty much viewed as honorary Donkey Kong characters.

(Skip to 7:10)

Back when Super Smash Bros 64 came out some were even expecting Banjo-Kazooie to be part of the original roster and were puzzled to find out that wasn't the case as it seemed that he Banjo-Kazooie debuted a little too late and missed the boat, Once Melee came out the franchise was further established and it seemed like only a matter of time that they would be a shoe in, Of course Sakurai said that there was a language barrier and how Rare was based in the U.K that prevented them from getting in, Even as a trophy that was also planned, But cut. Of course as we all know Microsoft bought out Rare in 2002 and it felt like that dream was as good as dead until Ultimate, It was pretty much a Smash debut that was nearly 20 years in the making, If it wasn't for the Microsoft buyout, Banjo-Kazooie could probably have made it into Melee, But maybe more likely by Brawl.

While Banjo-Kazooie's time with Nintendo was cut short they definitely left their mark alongside Rareware as whole, You pretty much can't talk about the N64 without bringing up Rare and Banjo-Kazooie was a big reason why.

Just like many have brought up and said before, Because of Banjo-Kazooie's origins and claim to fame their inclusion into Super Smash Bros Ultimate feels more like a long lost 1st/2nd Party Nintendo character returning rather than a Microsoft Xbox character or your average unexpected 3rd Party newcomer which is why it was such a big deal.

Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
And the only ones in the first pass that were crearly a promotion were :ulthero: and Byleth
And even then The Hero was only 1/4 a promotional pick. The Hero of Dragon Quest III (I'm REALLY irritated we STILL don't have the emojis for the other heroes already) is one of the most influential RPG characters and games ever created and dates back 1988, and should alone disprove the Dragon Quest character as a promotional pick even with 3 other choices.

Almost none of the first pass characters besides Dragon Quest XI Hero and Byleth were promotional picks.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
And even then The Hero was only 1/4 a promotional pick. The Hero of Dragon Quest III (I'm REALLY irritated we STILL don't have the emojis for the other heroes already) is one of the most influential RPG characters and games ever created and dates back 1988, and should alone disprove the Dragon Quest character as a promotional pick even with 3 other choices.

Almost none of the first pass characters besides Dragon Quest XI Hero and Byleth were promotional picks.
I can agree with the rest of the Heroes bringing on the Dragon Quest legacy with them for long time fans (I was STOKED when Eight showed up). But they totally didn't hide the fact that they were trying to push Dragon Quest hard in the west. Everytime Hero in Smash was brought up an ad of Dragon Quest XI S would play or Sakurai would directly promote it.
Not that advertising is bad tho (I'm currently playing DQ XI S, just got Jade and Rob, and I'm loving it). Just not shove it down constantly into people's throats to the point they start to hate it.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
"totally fake, doesn't even have dixie kong"

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
They weren't removed from the 3DS and Wii U re-release. *shrugs*
I said "remakes" not "ports". The VC releases are ports not remakes.

Everytime I see a "Imagine showing this roster to Smash fans 10 years ago" meme with Ultimate's roster, I think "How odd it is they haven't added Dixie Kong yet".
You show Ultimate's current roster to 5 or 10 year old me during Melee or Brawl, and I would have screamed "Fake!" Because I would find it surreal K. Rool and Banjo & Kazooie are both in but not Dixie Kong. Back then I saw them more as pipedreams and Dixie Kong as more of a realistic candidate due to her relevance.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I saw this posted on GameFAQs, which seems like it's favourable to the fanbase of any character that's currently a spirit.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I saw this posted on GameFAQs, which seems like it's favourable to the fanbase of any character that's currently a spirit.

How exciting! I hope we at least get one Spirit character promoted as DLC.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987

Nice. The current Dixie Kong spirit becomes Dixie Kong (Tropical Freeze), and the Fighter one becomes Dixie Kong.

It would be odd to have a Tropical Freeze spirit evolving into the Dixie and Kiddy from DKC3 spirit. But we have many odd enhancings like Paper Bowser from Paper Mario 64 evolving into a Sticker Star one GO BACK, I SAID GO BACK, Wall-Merged Link into... normal Link?, or normal Toad / Waddle Dee into Captain Toad / Bandana Dee (Come on Sakurai, they are totally their own characters).

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I know who I want!
I don't know... Even with spirit promotions being on the table, I'm not sure if "Girl from Hajimari no Mori" stands much of a chance.

(I'm kidding - we all know who you really want)

(...it's Wrys from Fire Emblem, right?)

Last edited:
Top Bottom