• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Yeah I saw that Jwittz video. That video was about as relevant and interesting as his channel has been for the past couple years, as in not very...

He basically chose every highly requested 1st party character and threw in a few 3rd party sprinkles in for good measure. Which just adds fuel to the "No interesting 1st parties left" fire people all over the internet love to throw around despite obviously being far from the truth.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
i just don't understand people who have long lists of characters they would actively dislike having in smash. maybe i'm just too easy to please but there are plenty of characters i don't otherwise care about that i like in smash because they have fun movesets.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
i just don't understand people who have long lists of characters they would actively dislike having in smash. maybe i'm just too easy to please but there are plenty of characters i don't otherwise care about that i like in smash because they have fun movesets.
Yeah this has been my attitude toward newcomers I wasn't too familiar with throughout Smash history. A few times, I have even checked out their source games and enjoyed them.

One of them was Donkey Kong Country, even. So as a DK fan I don't like promoting any idea of "disliking characters that may potentially be in Smash". Some other person may have a "TheYungLink discovers DK" moment with a series I'm unfamiliar with, and who am I to thumb noses at that?

Strong DK

Smash Apprentice
This is my choice as well. EAD is able to make real good quality games and are able to dig deep into the lore, if they want too. Jungle Beat is a good game, it's just a shame they did what they did with the characters and everything and tried to replace it with their own. They are able to achieve the level of quirkiness that Rare had with Oddysey, however I'd prefer a game more like Mario Galaxy with more action and less gimmicks.

A battle system like Jungle Beats Kong vs Kong boss battles would be great, but replace it with Kong Vs Kremling, give each Kong a distinct style of fighting and special moves and combine it with a bit of platforming. Like, engage the enemy while jumping or rolling at them to stun them, and they rush in close to pummel them. Kinda like how you finish off bosses in Returns and Tropical Freeze. Weapons and barrels could also be used like this.

Basic attack buttons could be Brawl, Roll, Grab and Jump, and each Kong having specialities and abilities that set them apart.

DK: Brawl and Grab expert. Charge up Brawl punch to unleash Giant Punch and OHKO enemies and do major damage to bosses. Can throw smaller enemies into bigger enemies when stunned.

Diddy: Roll and Jump expert. Charge up Roll to do a Super Charged Cartwheel rolling through enemies doing more damage than usual. Charge Jump to temporarily use the Rocket Barrels to blast through the level and reach far off places and do a high risk high reward sky strike.

Dixie: Jump and Grab expert. Charge Jump to Helicopter Spin and charge Grab to do hair swirl throws.

It's so easy to think of unique gameplay mechanics if you take the Kongs personality and unique abilities in account. It's weird they we haven't had any game that really shows this off.
I would love that kind of DK game

zipzapsparkle

Smash Journeyman

I was okay with Candy being gone, with Wrinkly quietly filling in as the female NPC Kong.

What about you, do you miss Candy? I still like that one redesign another user posted here a while back for Candy, making her look more like a female Donkey Kong with a punk aesthetic.
I've always liked her, she’s got her own flair in the DK universe. Part of the charm in older DK’s is Candy’s wildness, it’s like a Rare (developers) tradition to always have a character fit that archetype. She’s not my favorite but I’d like her return someday.

DeniroSerafim

Smash Apprentice
Sorry for posting so much so quickly guys, been having a good time messing around in photoshop.
Anyways, the Switch version of Cyberpunk is definitely the definitive version, right?
CyberKong.jpg

Strong DK

Smash Apprentice
How about DK game based on dark souls? Super hard rpg with character classes replaced by Kongs and Krocs. Souls replaced by bananas.
Name for that game could be Dark Bananas...

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
The superior Warriors game.
**** I know your joking but I've been preaching for a Donkey Kong Warriors game for years now. DK has enough characters and enemies for that game to work. Story would be ultra simple its a 4 way war for DK's banana hoard/island between the Kongs, Kremlings, Tiki's, and Snowmads. You get hoards of different Kremlings, Tikis, and Snowmads on the battlefield. Even throw in some Jungle Beat enemies and bosses for good measure.

So much moveset potential for the playable characters which would be DK, Diddy, Dixie, Lanky, Tiny, Chunky, Cranky, Kiddy, Wrinkly, Funky, K.Rool, Taj.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
DK musou is also an idea I've found exciting, I think it's a great way to bring back a lot of DK characters that don't get seen much nowadays while also fleshing out their combat potential. It's also a way to "redeem" more controversial characters like Candy or Kiddy by giving them fun and unique movesets.

And of course who doesn't want to hear dozens of Kremlings dying in a chorus of OUGHs

zipzapsparkle

Smash Journeyman
I love the Switch, it’s become my favorite Nintendo console/handheld. Although one of the things missing from the Switch is a DK game + spin off.

I’ve always been a fan of RPGs though, I’d love if DK had an rpg game or trpg.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I love the Switch, it’s become my favorite Nintendo console/handheld. Although one of the things missing from the Switch is a DK game + spin off.

I’ve always been a fan of RPGs though, I’d love if DK has an rpg game or trpg.
Would be awesome to see a new DKC game where K.Rool is playable in a post-game secret mode.

And yeah, a DK rpg could work really well after seeing how Mario+Rabbids pulled it out.

zipzapsparkle

Smash Journeyman
Yes omg! K. Rool konquering DK island would make a very fun spin off. All the Kong’s could be bosses too.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
About the presentation tomorrow / after tomorrow. Maybe we could get an sneak peak at what the first post pass character could be like. I doubt it may happen. But if it does I hope it is 1st party.

BTW I bought Tropical Freeze for Switch. First time I have ever double dipped for a game. But after trying and failing to get the secret ending enjoying Yooka Laylee TIL on the go so much. I decided to buy it. Oh boy. Even in the TV, the 1080p do look much cleaner. I don't know if I can go back to the Wii U version anymore (RIP Sax stickerbush symphony credits).

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
How much money would you give away to Sakurai and co to put Dixie Kong into the Smash roster specifically Ultimate's? I would give away about a thousand bucks or two to get Dix in.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I have a new idea for Dixie:

Up Attack

Dixie first performs an uppercut after squatting and rising with a swift, curved strike. Victims are predictably knocked upward at a curved trajectory. Pretty standard and deals a solid but decent level of damage, but she's not done yet.

Then, after holding the previous pose from the uppercut, Dixie shifts her body and slams her ponytail into the ground HARD. She swings her hair with all her might, letting the momentum speak for itself as her hair bangs against the ground like a dropped tree trunk. Dixie manages to combine a mundane uppercut with a powerful hair whip. Foes hit by the uppercut as well as airborne targets are likely to get caught in the hair strike that immediately follows; if hit before the halfway point in the trajectory they'll be whacked away like a stray volley ball, but if hit after the halfway point they'll be slam-DUNKED into the ground like a basketball shot from a cannon. The size of her ponytail provides an impressive strike range, while the full-body shift and outward lean gives her an even wider arc to swat foes. The move is alarmingly powerful as well, and works on foes both airborne and grounded as the arc shows.

That's my latest idea for her. I finished my moveset way back in the day so I wanted to just come up with more standalone attack concepts. Anyone could do an uppercut as an attack, but not many can use their hair as an appendage while striking with it, so I figured why not show how a typical move can be tailored to highlight a unique aspect of Dixie. I'm not really sure what to call these 2; they could be 2 separate moves or one attack sequence involving 2 hits--that's up to the viewer. Personally I'm viewing it as an uppercut that sets up a mean hair slam, so definitely the latter of the previous sentence but I wanna give people leeway in interpreting the drawings to spark creativity. Since it's an Up attack, it could either be an Up Tilt or an Up Smash.

All feedback is welcome. Thanks.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord

Up Attack

Dixie first performs an uppercut after squatting and rising with a swift, curved strike. Victims are predictably knocked upward at a curved trajectory. Pretty standard and deals a solid but decent level of damage, but she's not done yet.

Then, after holding the previous pose from the uppercut, Dixie shifts her body and slams her ponytail into the ground HARD. She swings her hair with all her might, letting the momentum speak for itself as her hair bangs against the ground like a dropped tree trunk. Dixie manages to combine a mundane uppercut with a powerful hair whip. Foes hit by the uppercut as well as airborne targets are likely to get caught in the hair strike that immediately follows; if hit before the halfway point in the trajectory they'll be whacked away like a stray volley ball, but if hit after the halfway point they'll be slam-DUNKED into the ground like a basketball shot from a cannon. The size of her ponytail provides an impressive strike range, while the full-body shift and outward lean gives her an even wider arc to swat foes. The move is alarmingly powerful as well, and works on foes both airborne and grounded as the arc shows.

That's my latest idea for her. I finished my moveset way back in the day so I wanted to just come up with more standalone attack concepts. Anyone could do an uppercut as an attack, but not many can use their hair as an appendage while striking with it, so I figured why not show how a typical move can be tailored to highlight a unique aspect of Dixie. I'm not really sure what to call these 2; they could be 2 separate moves or one attack sequence involving 2 hits--that's up to the viewer. Personally I'm viewing it as an uppercut that sets up a mean hair slam, so definitely the latter of the previous sentence but I wanna give people leeway in interpreting the drawings to spark creativity. Since it's an Up attack, it could either be an Up Tilt or an Up Smash.

This looks gorgeous! I think this works best as an up tilt and up smash, respectively. I'm having a hard time imagining both attacks together as a single move in terms of practicality.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987

Up Attack

The second pic is the perfect Up Tilt. The first one is basically :ultkrool:'s Up Tilt and Dixie has never been known for having strong limbs (For example. She struggles to carry Kiddy).
My best idea of Up Smash is something similar to Wolf's but using her hair as a support to kick upwards.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

Up Attack

It looks awesome!

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Thanks SeashoreWar SeashoreWar and R RetrogamerMax ! I'm glad y'all like it; when everyone was showing and making their art I was rushing to finish those 2 so I could jump in on the fun. I'm a couple pages late but I'm happy we're starting the year off with dope fanart.

The second pic is the perfect Up Tilt. The first one is basically :ultkrool:'s Up Tilt and Dixie has never been known for having strong limbs (For example. She struggles to carry Kiddy).
My best idea of Up Smash is something similar to Wolf's but using her hair as a support to kick upwards.
Yea honestly the uppercut itself is meant to be decent but on the weak side in terms of power, but your Up Smash idea reminds me of my.... I guess "official" USmash from that old moveset I made. I don't remember if you saw it but she uses her hair to jolt upward and kick with both feet. That's a cool coincidence.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
That's amazing! You always bring some of that Smash Bros fierceness and energy to your drawings. They're so kinetic.

I think you and SeashoreWar's propaganda is also working -- more and more, when I think of Dixie, I see her with blonde fur from the DKCTF opening over her usual brown fur.

The only tiny thing I'd point out is that I personally don't like Dixie with teeth. To me, the only Kongs that can pull off teeth areFunky and DK -- and Swanky, I guess. I usually prefer my Kongs to have muppet mouth. But that's just me.

Do you want us to post it on the twitter or do you want to post it on your own account?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
What if Dixie Kong is the first post Season Pass character how would y'all react? I would be jumping around in excitement like a idiot.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
What if Dixie Kong is the first post Season Pass character how would y'all react? I would be jumping around in excitement like a idiot.
I want to save my insane reaction to that if it finally happens. We are talking about my most wanted character ever since Melee (Yes. I wanted her even if Diddy wasn't in yet. I am a big fanatic of DKC 2 and 3 okay?).
But with DK, Diddy, Dixie and K. Rool. DK representation would be perfect and I would never ask for anything DK related ever again in Smash (Except maybe Punch Bowl? Why isn't that song in the game anyway?).

But I think if they go with 1st parties again the first one announced would be Rex for multiple reasons.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I want to save my insane reaction to that if it finally happens. We are talking about my most wanted character ever since Melee (Yes. I wanted her even if Diddy wasn't in yet. I am a big fanatic of DKC 2 and 3 okay?).
But with DK, Diddy, Dixie and K. Rool. DK representation would be perfect and I would never ask for anything DK related ever again in Smash (Except maybe Punch Bowl? Why isn't that song in the game anyway?).

But I think if they go with 1st parties again the first one announced would be Rex for multiple reasons.
I wanted Ridley and K. Rool since Melee and I almost had a heart attack when I saw K. Rool's trailer for the first time. But with Ridley's though I couldn't react because my mind was still trying to process the thought of seeing "Everyone Is Here!".

Last edited:

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
JWittz seems to have forgotten that Dixie does everything with her hair, not just glide. There's no other character in Smash that would play the way she does. Even Shantae, if she were added, would only have a few hair attacks. So yeah, pretty crap video and pretty crap rationale.

I'd be 100% fine with Candy, Kiddy and Swanky never returning.
Kiddy is a good Kong, no matter what anyone says, so I definitely want him to come back. Candy and Tiny are the only Kongs I never want to see again, especially the latter.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
That's amazing! You always bring some of that Smash Bros fierceness and energy to your drawings. They're so kinetic.

I think you and SeashoreWar's propaganda is also working -- more and more, when I think of Dixie, I see her with blonde fur from the DKCTF opening over her usual brown fur.

The only tiny thing I'd point out is that I personally don't like Dixie with teeth. To me, the only Kongs that can pull off teeth areFunky and DK -- and Swanky, I guess. I usually prefer my Kongs to have muppet mouth. But that's just me.

Do you want us to post it on the twitter or do you want to post it on your own account?
Thank you very much! It's those action lines that that give it that crisp movement; I'm very happy to see it acknowledged! As for the fur color yeah I think it works better as golden brown instead of the regular brown. It helps her ponytail look less like a wig and seem like an extension of her fur that's noticeably lighter, and vice versa for her fur looking like an extension of her hair that's darker. For me, the mouth was tough to get. I was gonna have her with clenched teeth and with the same expression, but that came off as too "generic monkey" IMO. Then I tried no teeth but it lacked a certain charm so I did half and half. I appreciate the constructive reply, and also yes I would like y'all to post it on twitter. I'll just reblog it, thanks!
JWittz seems to have forgotten that Dixie does everything with her hair, not just glide. There's no other character in Smash that would play the way she does. Even Shantae, if she were added, would only have a few hair attacks. So yeah, pretty crap video and pretty crap rationale.

Kiddy is a good Kong, no matter what anyone says, so I definitely want him to come back. Candy and Tiny are the only Kongs I never want to see again, especially the latter.
I'm pretty sure that guy made a vid dissing popular requests to get attention. I'm not gonna see the vid, cuz honestly IDC and I don't mean that in a hostile way. I'm just apathetic. However it is important to knock down whatever he said to disqualify Dixie, especially if someone who agrees with him says the same things. Anyway, that's my take on the matter. Dixie can do more with her hair than Rayman, Shantae and Tails can do with theirs combined, and only Rayman comes close on his own. 3/4 can fly with their hair or tails (Rayman, Dixie and Tails), they all can attack with it (Rayman only in theory since he can cut ropes with his), 3/4 can move faster with it (Rayman and Dixie can swim faster, Tails uses it for running), and only Dixie can grab with it. Only she can throw with it. Only she can carry things and create shockwaves with it. If we made a comparison chart of hair abilities, Dixie would have the most abilities of those 4.

Also, I'll trade you Kiddy for Tiny. I never had an issue with her TBH. Thought she was alright along with the other DK64 Kongs, but I'm not crazy about her redesign. I handwaved it as Cranky's potions messed up her growth as a side effect of shrinking.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
Tiny is just Dixie without the charisma. I still have no idea why everyone hates Kiddy. I think he's a lovable doof. I've mentioned this before, but I love the way he faces the camera and wiggles his eyebrows when he grabs a Bonus Coin.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Thank you very much! It's those action lines that that give it that crisp movement; I'm very happy to see it acknowledged! As for the fur color yeah I think it works better as golden brown instead of the regular brown. It helps her ponytail look less like a wig and seem like an extension of her fur that's noticeably lighter, and vice versa for her fur looking like an extension of her hair that's darker. For me, the mouth was tough to get. I was gonna have her with clenched teeth and with the same expression, but that came off as too "generic monkey" IMO. Then I tried no teeth but it lacked a certain charm so I did half and half. I appreciate the constructive reply, and also yes I would like y'all to post it on twitter. I'll just reblog it, thanks!

I'm pretty sure that guy made a vid dissing popular requests to get attention. I'm not gonna see the vid, cuz honestly IDC and I don't mean that in a hostile way. I'm just apathetic. However it is important to knock down whatever he said to disqualify Dixie, especially if someone who agrees with him says the same things. Anyway, that's my take on the matter. Dixie can do more with her hair than Rayman, Shantae and Tails can do with theirs combined, and only Rayman comes close on his own. 3/4 can fly with their hair or tails (Rayman, Dixie and Tails), they all can attack with it (Rayman only in theory since he can cut ropes with his), 3/4 can move faster with it (Rayman and Dixie can swim faster, Tails uses it for running), and only Dixie can grab with it. Only she can throw with it. Only she can carry things and create shockwaves with it. If we made a comparison chart of hair abilities, Dixie would have the most abilities of those 4.

Also, I'll trade you Kiddy for Tiny. I never had an issue with her TBH. Thought she was alright along with the other DK64 Kongs, but I'm not crazy about her redesign. I handwaved it as Cranky's potions messed up her growth as a side effect of shrinking.
Just one thing, I'm not up on the Smash lingo but what is "up attack", is that like "up tilt"?

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
I would be happy for sure but I doubt it would get a K.Rool reaction out of me. I was watching the August 8th direct live at work. When I saw the Klaptrap assist trophy I was like "Did Sakurai just give away K.Rool is coming?" Then the camera starts shaking and then I see the villain montage and I have the biggest smile on my face. You would think I had won the lottery or something. DK starts yawning and I start jumping up and down like crazy, squealing like mad.

My phone drops to the floor it leaves youtube for a second. Im trying to rush back to the video and its hard because Im not in my mind at the moment and Im getting notifications left and right of friends congratulating me and saying "You finally got him" I finally get back and see Dedede laughing and then K.Rool slaps him in the back of head insert *gangplank galleon remix* and I start soft screaming yes! While dancing around with tears in my eyes. Luckily none of my coworkers saw me as they would probably think I was a mad man.

Nothing in gaming has ever gotten me so hype. Probably the closest was the DKCR reveal at E3 2010 and even then it was nowhere near this simply because it had leaked like a week prior that Retro was working on DKC. Also as much as I love Dixie (2nd favorite Kong behind DK himself), I love K.Rool a bunch more due to nostalgia. DKC was the 1st videogame I ever played. I also was a huge fan of DK64 as a kid. Dixie was in neither of those games, I never played DKC2 or DKC3 until they hit Wii VC in like 2008/9. The most I knew of Dixie growing up was the trophy in Melee and Mario Superstar Baseball.

Last edited:

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Ah, I see. I'll post it in a little bit when after the Smash Direct craziness dies down a bit. Unless the craziness has to do with Dixie. Then there will be a parade of Dixie posts for 40 days and 40 nights.

I hope we get something tomorrow but I'm not expecting it. Maybe we'll get lucky and learn some new info about the new DLC characters post-pass.

"Yes, that's right. You heard us correctly. For Fighters Pass 2, we will develop Dixie Kong from Donkey Kong Country five different times."

Top Bottom