• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I've made a very long post concerning Dixie's prospect as DLC.

I'm fully of the belief that we are going to get 10 more DLC characters if the datamined slots are anything to go by. Also, an interesting thing I remember someone noting on another thread is that the DLC for Smash is listed by two categories: "Challenger Packs" and "Individual DLC", which is certainly something interesting as :ultpiranha: could have just easily been categoriesed as "Bonus DLC." Not exactly conclusive evidence one way or another, but certainly something interesting. In the hypothetical scenario where we were to get more individual DLCs, very few third-party characters would really fit as plausible candidates.

As for Dixie, the way I see it, Dixie making it in as either a completely unique character or a :ultwolf:/:ultluigi:/ :ultisabelle: - type character depends on certain factors.

As a completely unique, made from scratch character, she would need overwhelming fan demand on a level on par with the likes of :ultridley::ultkrool::ultbanjokazooie: and she'd need to reach that level relatively quickly.

As a derivative character, she would still need strong fan demand relatively speaking, but other factors would also have to align for her to join the battle similar to how :wolf: got in Brawl. Firstly, DLC lifespan would have to get to a point where there is no longer enough budget and time left for 5 made from scratch characters for a pass (which I personally seem skeptical of), but Sakurai in this case would also need to aknowledge Dixie as a fan demanded character that is viable as a derivative character.

The fact that Smash Ultimate has pretty much all of its DLC completed after the game itself is complete (with :ultpiranha: not managing to make the base roster due to time constraints) puts it in a situation unlike pretty much most other fighter which tends to have completed characters (that could have been the base roster of those games) saved as DLC (see the Blazblue Cross Tag controversy as an example of this). The closest comparison that I make with Ultimate as far as fighting game DLC or updates are concerned is Street Fighter 4.

For clarification Street Fighter 4 released in 2009 with 25 characters which sold around 3 million copies. The first update for that game was Super Street Fighter 4, which came with an additional 10 unique characters (with two of them, T. Hawk and Deejay, being meant for the initial version but scrapped due to time constraints). that update was released as a separate title in April 2010 and it sold around 2 million copies.

The next update was Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition which was released both as a standalone title and as DLC for Super Street Fighter 4. It had 4 additional characters. But here is the interesting part - only one of them was made from the ground up, which was a character named Yun. His brother, Yang, was the :luigi2: to Yun's :mario2: in terms of uniqueness but with the exact same body type. The two other characters were called Evil Ryu and Oni. For Evil Ryu, if Ryu was :fox: and Akuma (who is a series veteran that made his debut in Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo. Like Ken, he also has a similar moveset to Ryu, though he's more different than Ken) was :falco:, Evil Ryu was the cross between the two. Oni, being an alternate version of Akuma, was also :luigi2:-levels of uniqueness. Overall, there were a lot of derivative characters despite the success of Super.

The final Update was Ultra Street Fighter 4, which was released in 2014, both as a standalone title and DLC for physical copies of Super Street Fighter 4 and Arcade Edition which added 5 characters. Of those 5, 4 of them were directly ported from Street Fighter X Tekken and adjusted to fit Ultra Street Fighter 4 and the final one was Decapre, which could be considered a semi clone of another character called Cammy. Except, unlike with Oni and , she lacked her own distinct model and on a surface, with a lack of unique non-moveset related animation, could at surface be confused for an alt costume. Even Evil Ryu had his own distinct idle stance.

Essentially what is to be taken from all this is that a lot of different things has to align perfectly based off what-ifs for Dixie to even make it in as a derivative with Ultimate going along a slightly similar route as the SF4 series throughout the DLC cycle. Who knows if that will happen

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
That wasn't long at all! Nice food for thought though.

So I've been lurking on Gamefaqs to see what the general opinion of Dixie is. Seen plenty of "Sure, why not" and a couple of "Wig Diddy" over there, also some who wanna spite C cybersai since they're championing Dixie, but honestly it's not as toxic as I feared. Even found a long essay that was definitely written by Chronobound that got decent responses, and while people nowadays aren't willing to read extraordinarily detailed posts, there wasn't as much venom as I feared there'd be. Anyone else got an assessment on her...I guess "social standing"?

We can keep excitement up for her by showing why she'd be great to play as in addition to telling people how important she is.

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483

So I've been lurking on Gamefaqs to see what the general opinion of Dixie is. Seen plenty of "Sure, why not" and a couple of "Wig Diddy" over there, also some who wanna spite C cybersai since they're championing Dixie, but honestly it's not as toxic as I feared. Even found a long essay that was definitely written by Chronobound that got decent responses, and while people nowadays aren't willing to read extraordinarily detailed posts, there wasn't as much venom as I feared there'd be. Anyone else got an assessment on her...I guess "social standing"?

We can keep excitement up for her by showing why she'd be great to play as in addition to telling people how important she is.
Well - with how just much the long-waited demand's been filled for other folks in means of DK-reps via K.Rool's inclusion + Banjo&Kazooie as extra, I'm not surprised Dixie's being more amicable to these days, especially when noting on her overall significant involvement in the series. I'd find it hard to be detracting to her unless people see her as a threat to their own wishes (even if technically speaking, she seems not too :083: to implement as is if using Diddy as a base, for example).

Might be curious to see how she's currently standing in social places though, if I feel like having time... :ohwell:

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Well - with how just much the long-waited demand's been filled for other folks in means of DK-reps via K.Rool's inclusion + Banjo&Kazooie as extra, I'm not surprised Dixie's being more amicable to these days, especially when noting on her overall significant involvement in the series. I'd find it hard to be detracting to her unless people see her as a threat to their own wishes (even if technically speaking, she seems not too :083: to implement as is if using Diddy as a base, for example).

Might be curious to see how she's currently standing in social places though, if I feel like having time... :ohwell:
I really, REALLY want Dixie Kong in Ultimate but I feel like that isn't going to happen. I think Dixie Kong will be one of the big faces in speculation come Smash 6 since K. Rool and Banjo & Kazooie are already in. She can reign supreme now as the top Rare character in speculation.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny

It's pretty refreshing TBH. I'm so used to her getting dunked on from the Smash 4 speculation days that I was expecting it all over again, but this is a positive swing for Dixie.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I really, REALLY want Dixie Kong in Ultimate but I feel like that isn't going to happen. I think Dixie Kong will be one of the big faces in speculation come Smash 6 since K. Rool and Banjo & Kazooie are already in. She can reign supreme now as the top Rare character in speculation.
Being unlikely and needing a miracle to get in has been a hallmark for characters getting into Smash since the start. I’ll continue to hold my flame until the second Sakurai announces the end of DLC, no matter how hopeless it seems.

Last edited:

DX_E

Smash Apprentice
I've seen the future. :ultshulk:

2020 - Year of Dixie

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

2020 - Year of Dixie
I always awaited the year of Donkey Kong, and the Chinese year of the Monkey would've been ideal. But no. We didn't get ****.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I always awaited the year of Donkey Kong, and the Chinese year of the Monkey would've been ideal. But no. We didn't get ****.
The Chinese Zodiac for 2020 is the Year of the Rat. Year of the Monkey is still aways off.

BUT WAIT!

The Neek is a rat enemy that made its first appearance in Donkey Kong Country 2. The same game where Dixie Kong made her debut.

The Sneek is also a rat enemy that appeared in Donkey Kong Country 3, the first game where Dixie was featured as the titular heroine and the main protagonist.

Big Deal you say! Rat type enemies appearing in DKC2 and DKC3. There probably were in games without Dixie. But if you remember correctly, DKC1 had beaver enemies as the rodent representatives instead of rats. So rats primarily appeared in the SNES games where Dixie was featured.

Coincidence, I THINK NOT!

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
This means that if Dixie gets her own game again, the main antagonists should be rats.
I don't know why, but when you said rats should be the antagonist in a Dixie Kong game I just thought of Professer Ratigan and his gang of thugs from The Great Mouse Detective.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
I'm down for rat villains if only because they can bring Ellie back and have a "face your fears" plotline

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I wanted to get out one final post before the end of the year (and decade), and looks like I barely made it.

Your contributions are appreciated. They usually sum up large sets of observations and data that are crucial to understanding the situation of various characters and series, which can be overlooked or not given much thought to.
Thank you for the compliments and your appreciation. I am much less active now in the Smash character support and speculation community than I was in prior epochs, but I try to still make somewhat meaningful contributions whenever I do post something. Again, I do appreciate that you and others value my insight. It means a lot.

I don't know why you think that. But I have this strong feeling that sprit promotions are becoming the norm after the fighter pass. Except Resident Evil because of the implications of getting spirit'd post launch.
We might get Rex, Bandana Dee, Dixie, Isaac... Geno is not more special than any other character. He has a big fan demand but that doesn't mean other characters don't.
And I'm fully hoping we get more not-Fire Emblem-or-Pokémon 1st parties, they all fit in the game and are strongly associated to Nintendo fans more than promoting an external franchise. There is a reason Banjo and Kazooie are the most hyped reveal yet.
I think its going to be Geno and no one else in regards to spirit promotions. Rayman might also be a possibility. For Nintendo characters, the only possibilities I see right now are a Fire Emblem Three Houses character and/or Astral Chain character (I find it very suspicious both have not yet had a spirit board event).

For Geno, it is extremely suspicious the Geno Mii costume has not come back yet, especially when there was a convenient time for it to happen (Hero's release). I think he will be confirmed at some point later this year. Sakurai also personally really likes Geno and wanted him in since Brawl. Its very rare for Sakurai to go on record about liking a specific character and talk about wanting to implement that character into Smash Bros.

As for the other characters you mentioned, the only hope I see for them is if there is yet another year of DLC after the post-pass DLC (and that is assuming we end up getting another Fighters Pass for the post pass stuff), and I am very doubtful that will happen (they are already winding down on development resources at this point, with Sakurai saying Home Run Contest is going to be the final DLC mode added to the game).

I don't think we're getting any kind of promotions, honestly.

I think the DLC characters after the Fighters Pass will continue to just be previously unrepresented third party IPs.
Geno is the only spirit promotion I see happening. Rayman has a small chance, but aside from that I am very doubtful on any spirits aside from Geno being promoted to playable status.

Top 4 bois.

It is very nice that Dixie ranked as high as she did, personally I would put her at number 1, but considering her last major role was in a game originally released back in 2014, this is still very good for her.

Super-long post there ChronoBound ChronoBound ! Sorry in advance, but maybe for convenience's sake, you could put your replies inside a spoiler-tag? Scrolling through this page's getting bit long on mobile.
I did just that as soon as I read your message. I apologize for the inconvenience.

Thanks. I posted much less in 2019 than I did in 2018. I will likely be posting much less in 2020 than I did in 2019 as well.

Been rewatching Subspace Emissary Let's Plays recently, and just remembered how big of a role Diddy Kong had in it, being one of the first characters to join your party. If Dixie had made it into Brawl I wonder how her role would have played out alongside Diddy in terms of story.
If Dixie had been in Brawl, I would imagine she would have been among the final characters added to the roster, and thus not having any sort of role in the Subspace Emissary. Kind of like Jigglypuff, Toon Link, and Wolf. I said during pre-Smash 4 that I thought Dixie Kong had a shot at being Smash 4's Wolf (in the sense that Wolf was a semi-clone added to the roster at the last minute), likely utilizing the ideas that Sakurai had for her during Brawl's development. It ended up being the case that a few characters were added to the roster at the last minute though (Dr. Mario, Lucina, and Dark Pit promoted from being alt costumes to characters with their own slots), but not any semi-clones.

It is for this reason that I now think any ideas Sakurai had for Dixie were purely through a tag team concept, and never about her own individual attacks that she had. Still it would have been nice had she been Smash 4's Wolf. I think there is a possibility that Sakurai sees Dixie as only interesting for a tag-team concept (hence why she upgrades to being paired with Kiddy for her spirit in Ultimate). However, I think with just her prehensile hair alone, Dixie would provide for an interesting character concept.

In general, I said in the past there is many different routes you can go down with a playable Dixie Kong, so it is very peculiar when some people say she simply is not interesting moveset wise.

I wonder what miracle it will take to get Dixie Kong in Ultimate. I really want her in this game, not Smash 6.
It would take many special circumstances perfectly aligning to become playable in Ultimate. Like even if a third wave was announced, and if the themes were say, "just Nintendo characters" or "just echoes" or "long time requested characters", those still would be scenarios were Dixie would probably not make it.

For example for "echoes", I said many times before even if Dixie was simply a Chrom-style echo that would require far more work than most other echo candidates, and the point of echoes is to add additional characters to the roster with minimal effort for implementation as well as in regards to balancing. As it stands with her, I cannot imagine Sakurai and the team simply giving her an unique recovery and Final Smash and then calling it a day. I think even before development would begin, it might also be deemed that Dixie's ponytail alters the original model too much (echoes are supposed to have the same hitboxes as their original counterpart, the main reason why Isabelle was not an echo of Villager) to even be considered for a Ken-style echo, and thus be ruled out from an echo theme entirely.

For other themes like "Nintendo characters" and "long time requested characters", there are many other characters that could outprioritize her for a variety of reasons from having much more recency as well as having much more loud support. Dixie fans are pretty quiet in general and such, I doubt she has been on the team's radar or will be if those theme sets came up for a theoretical third wave.

Simply put, Dixie is going to need a Dark Samus level miracle in terms of getting in Ultimate's roster. It will need to take a bunch of stars aligning for her to be added in.

Yep, couldn't give less of a s*** if she makes it into Smash 6 if so many of my other favorites don't make it back.

(I couldn't resist)

Sorry, but I won't be looking that much forward to a game with a bunch of my favorite characters cut anymore than you do. If the next game ends up cutting most or all of my favorites than I guess its my final outing too, the same way Marvel vs Capcom Infinite's god awful roster permanently killed any interest I had in that series. I'd rather fight for her in Ultimate to the last drop rather than give up and wait 7 years for a watered down sequel.
Well here is the thing. I highly doubt Dixie Kong is going to be your final character desire even if by some miracle she does get in, you are likely going to focus on whatever characters failed to make it in of your personal wishlist.

The fact is that in life you never always get everything you wanted. Personally, even for a new game, I am not optimistic on her prospects (and several of my favorite veterans are most likely not coming back).

As I said before, you are still young.

Melee's roster, Brawl's roster, and Smash 4's roster all did not have my single most wanted character on them (Ridley), but I still bought the game and got everything in them.

As I said, even if you somehow were to get Dixie Kong, you probably won't get every single character on your list. Even myself, focusing more on Dixie makes me lose sight on just how many personal desires were fulfilled by Ultimate, particularly ones I thought were likely to never happen (Ridley finally being added in, every veteran returning, Castlevania being added in, Banjo-Kazooie being added in, nearly every prior stage returning).

I do really wish Dixie was a part of the roster to the the title that truly feels like a culmination of the whole series up until this point. She is truly a Nintendo All-Star and ideally she should have been a part of the roster a long time ago, however, by focusing on that, I am ignoring everything else that Ultimate has blessed me in regards to personal desires.

Dixie needs a large and passionate fanbase if she is ever going to make it in. There is a long road ahead before that happens. I will try to be with the Dixie fanbase a little while longer, but as I said before, I will likely be even less active in 2020 than I was in 2019.

I will make another post in the weeks ahead about some thoughts I have had in relation to Dixie Kong's level of support and a reflection of sorts about my involvement with the two other support bases I was heavily involved with (Ridley and Roy).

Wave 4 of Donkey Kong Racing! Finally the 1st row is complete.

Swanky! (Using a redesign I did)
Kopter!
Gnawty!
Bumper!

Excellent work as always. I am glad you are giving even DKC3 enemies a shoutout as well. Kopter in particular is among the most memorable ones.

Since there was no smash reveal at The Game Awards, I'm expecting a Nintendo direct some time next month. And since the next fighter will be revealed during a direct, I think we'll get a bit more news about the 2nd fighter pass as well. I think this will be Dixie's best shot of getting in....I can see her being a gift character like Plant. What do y'all think?
I definitely think there will be a Nintendo Direct in the weeks ahead. I also think there is a good chance we will know about the post-pass DLC in it.

However, I strongly doubt Dixie will be announced as a fighter.

Ah, right, I forgot :ultpiranha: was a gift for buying the game early. I thought it was due to buying the pass early...or something....whoops. I'm trying to imagine how new characters will be released from now on... will they come solo? Will there be another fighter pass? Have echoes been in development? I want Dixie in so bad but I honestly can't see her coming with a new stage and music tracks, as much as I want it. I can see them bringing back the DKC Returns stage... although, I think they'd have to rework it so it works with stage morph....or whatever reason they kept it out in the first place.

I hate this limbo and really want to get an idea of how things will work pass the first pass. At this point I still think Dixie has a good chance, especially if echoes have been in development. I don't want Dixie as an echo but if Sakurai and Nintendo have discussed echoes, Dixie must have been brought up, right? Maybe that could have lead to her being developed as a semi-clone or fully fleshed fighter?
Trust me, I want her in very much as well. However, right now I think the focus of the post-pass DLC will be "adding new worlds" to Smash, likely a continuation of what the Fighters Pass was (with the closest exception to this being Geno and SMRPG, as well as possibly a Fire Emblem Three Houses character being added).

Right now, we still know little about the post-pass DLC (such as how many characters it will even consist of).

ChronoBound ChronoBound thanks for the well-thougt out post. I figured one way to keep this thread active is to frequently update the title so that people look forward to checking in once in a while.
Thank you very much. I am glad you thought well of it. I most likely will be contributing even less to this topic in 2020 than I did during 2019 and the year before, but I will try to have a few more meaningful things to say.

You're welcome! I remember joining this site during the pre-SSB4 speculation. Back then I was on the K. Rool and Bowser Jr train, but always thought Dixie would be cool too. One of the things I noticed though, was that Dixie was getting overlooked for one reason or another. In the past versions of her Support Threads, most people seemed to only want her in as a tagteam where Diddy's Down B swaps her in; otherwise we shouldn't bother because she'd only be a clone anyway. I didn't want either option for her since DK and Diddy were separate despite being paired much more often, and I had a hard time seeing Dixie as a clone. Also, around that time there was a toxic rivalry with the K. Rool fandom, where fans would openly take shots at each other and use counterpoints to take their target down.

I wasn't in charge of the Dixie thread back then but some of us were tired of the infighting; people started speaking up and eventually things calmed down, but still it felt like Dixie was getting overlooked. K. Rool had a healthy level of support but Dixie was barely an afterthought. Nobody was convinced she could do anything, so when the "LOL, Diddy Clone" mentality came around (and still does) I started pushing back. Some fans were saying she'd use her hair to do things Diddy couldn't possibly mimic, but people wanted to know how. An extra limb growing out the back of her head sounded abstract, so I started brainstorming ideas while bored in college. Did some crude doodles as a rough draft, then started posting them in 2013. It helped, but I didn't finish until 2015; in that timeframe more people started coming up with ideas and posting their movesets. It was stuff I wouldn't have even thought of; VeemonTamer, myself, Arcadenik and others helped people start to see Dixie's potential to be more than Female Diddy, with varying degrees of uniqueness to keep the discussion alive.

I'm actually glad more and more people jumped in on the creativity. I literally cannot do this alone as I have less patience than I did 6 years ago and real life to worry about. Plus there's people coming up with ideas that amaze me (thanks Seashore!) and the thread has been so healthy and productive for a good while. I try not to stifle discussion, even when things I disagree with pop up. In cases like those I let everyone know where I stand and just go from there, and while I'm happy with how this thread is, we can always improve. She's not laughed out of the discussion like she used to be but she's not the no-brainer "It's GOTTA be her!" choice either. We gotta get her more to that end.

I wanna thank you for being so enthusiastic; if you're willing to help feel free to drop some ideas in this thread, also let us know of any fan-polls floating around that we can use to boost Dixie's awareness. Seriously, fanart, essays, polls, conversation starters and whatnot will always be welcomed. I wanted to commend your positivity much sooner but never made time to post a genuine reply til now; I'm admittedly pretty slow when it comes to that lol. Still gotta give Snowbound, Sabertooth and Chronobound a good reply too.
This is a very meaningful post, and I have a lot to say about it.

In a lot of way the same happened with myself over the course of the last decade. Dixie Kong was one of my favorite game characters during the second half of the 90's, and both DKC2 and DKC3 were among my favorite SNES titles. The Dixie Kong figurine I had was also among favorite toys I had. So Dixie was a major focus in both video games and with toys for me. However, after the 90's ended, there was simply no more new experiences I had with Dixie Kong.

During the 2000's, I gradually began to forget about Dixie and why I appreciated her so much, as well as the DK series as a whole (after the 64, I basically stopped being interested in the DK series). I got into many other franchises during the 2000s such as Zelda (though I had first played the franchise during the 90's, I heavily became into it during the 2000s), F-Zero, Fire Emblem, and Castlevania.

When we knew about the existence of the Forbidden 7 (the seven characters with folders in Brawl that were not playable in the final game) in early 2008, seeing Dixie there alongside Mewtwo and Roy made me wish Brawl had been delayed more to include them all (this was before I knew Dixie was merely planned to be part of a tag-team with Diddy).

However, Dixie was largely absent for me during the 2000s aside from being happy to see her as a trophy in Melee and being disappointed that she did not make the final cut for Brawl.

Into the 2010's, I largely wrote that Dixie would be a pleasant surprise for me, but that I did not expect her to make it in before K. Rool (this was before Tropical Freeze's announcement). After the Tropical Freeze announcement, I said that I hoped for her to make it in as Smash 4's Wolf (a last minute semi-clone), and my thought was that if she did make it into Smash 4 she would be among the final characters we would learn of, or perhaps the very last one (like Wolf was). My focus was entirely on Ridley and Roy.

The main things that helped me rediscover Dixie Kong during this decade was playing through the GBA port of DKC3 in 2012 (which has an entirely new soundtrack composed by David Wise as well as a set of new stages), as well as buying two new figurines that were made of Dixie Kong. One in late 2011 from the Super Mario Mini Figure Collection line (I was really surprised that a Dixie figurine even got made).

While Tropical Freeze did pique my interest with bringing back Dixie, I did not pay much attention to the title due to the fact it was a on a console at the time I did not own and actually ended up never owning (the Wii U). The only other event relating to Dixie during this decade outside of Smash for me was the release of the World of Nintendo Dixie figurine. I got it in early 2016, and it is in my opinion the best figurine out there for Dixie.

The most notable amount of Dixie support I did during the first half of the 2010's was support for her to be added for Project M as well as Ridley (Roy was the first non-Brawl character added to Project M). Unfortunately, Project M ceased development entirely by the end of 2015, and it turned out that Dixie was not one of the characters being worked on. There was also a part of me that hoped Dixie would be DLC for Smash 4, but I was mostly hoping for Roy to somehow be added in (which miraculously ended up happening). After Roy's confirmation in June 2015, I basically left the Smash speculation and character support community for three years, only making two posts between after June 2015 and prior to April 2018. Privately, I crossed my fingers for Dixie, but felt she most likely would not happen since she was definitely not among the most demanded character during the ballot period.

It was really not until 2018, especially after Ultimate's full unveil in 2018 that I started to actually put a notable effort towards supporting Dixie Kong. After Ridley, every veteran returning, and Castlevania all being a part of the roster (and K. Rool now being in, thus no longer being seen as a priority over her), my sole remaining desire was to see Dixie Kong added in and felt that it was strange how all of my other desires (which I deemed unlikely to happen) ended up being realized, but not her (whom always seemed like she at least had a decent chance). Unfortunately, as soon as I turned my full focus to Dixie, I basically learned of the remainder of the base roster through leaks (which I believed), which was in mid-August, so only two weeks after the August 2018 Direct.

For the next few months, I was just privately hoping the DLC period would be an opportunity for her to be added in. Unfortunately, as soon as the game was released, those hopes were dashed too. So for basically the entire time of supporting Dixie, I had been very pessimistic on her prospects unfortunately. This is a pessimism that I did not have with Ridley until the Pyrosphere update until August 2013 (and even then it stabilized at 50/50 due to Sakurai not following up on the cryptic comment for it until the April 2014 Direct, at that point I became certain that Ridley was going to be a stage boss) or with Roy until the confirmation of Robin and Lucina, and learning of the Smash 4 roster (the combination of FE having four slots, one of them being a Marth clone, and so many Brawl veterans being cut, made me quite pessimistic on Roy's return as DLC).

For Dixie, she has been a character that ironically seemed like she had the best character hopes of everything I personally wanted to see (Ridley, Roy returning, every veteran returning for at least one title, Castlevania, Banjo-Kazooie), yet when I actually started putting major efforts towards supporting her, her prospects were bleaker than during most of the time I spent supporting Ridley and Roy.

However, that is enough about me (your comment about how you gradually came to support Dixie more and more just wanted me to share my own story as well in regards to that).

In regards to you running the Dixie topic, I really want to commend your efforts. It really feels like the kind of support topics you would have seen during pre-Smash 4 and pre-Brawl eras. Fitting considering the kind of character Dixie Kong is (a Nintendo character with a lot of prominence in their own franchise was the kind of character typically got the most support during those epochs). Nowadays, most passion seems to be directed towards third-party characters.

However, despite this, Dixie has one of the most active support topics here (which is not saying much), and might very well be the most active topic for a Nintendo character right now. I have more to say on my place in the Dixie support community in the future, but I will say it feels nostalgic and it reminds me strongly of the Roy support base. We might not have numbers on our side, but we certainly have creative ways of showing our support and have deeply personal reasons for supporting her.

This place is probably the last part to the Smash fanbase I am still regularly involved in. As I said before, I am likely going to be posting even less in 2020 than I did in 2019 (and I made about 100 posts in 2019). I might still post a bit in a few other smaller support topics and give some thoughts once in a while in the Newcomer/DLC discussion topic, but this topic is probably the last place in the Smash community where I feel I have a place. Even still, I will gradually be fading away over time from even this community. I simply have less and less free time and interest in speculation and character support. I will try to offer a little something to Dixie fans though in regards to insight and analysis though.

dixie kong makes every game better confirmed
The funny thing is that this is true. Dixie Kong is a lot like Yoshi in Mario games in that her playable appearances make the games they show up in even more fun. She also has a lot of charm she adds to those games as well.

Tropical Freeze made GameXplains Top 5 games of the decade. The results were decided upon by the 5 core GX members as well as audience votes. Tropical Freeze tied for 4th with Super Mario Galaxy 2 and Dragon Quest 11 S Definitive Edition. 3rd was Smash Bros. Ultimate, 2nd was The Last of Us, and 1st was Zelda: BOTW.

https://youtu.be/1hjAMadVJOE
I still have not played Tropical Freeze yet. I own a Switch, so I can get Tropical Freeze if I want to now. However, I am still contemplating whether to get it since it has been been decades since I played an entirely new DK platformer, and DK64 had been the last game I played (which is probably a textbook example on the worst excesses of the 3D platformer genre). I also heard the game (Tropical Freeze) is far more challenging than the original SNES trilogy to the point of frustration. Is this really true? Regardless, the title has me interested with all the accolades it has been receiving.

On the topic of the best games of the 2010's, for me personally, my Top 3 would be Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, Super Mario Galaxy 2, and The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds. I also want to give a honorable mention to Captain Toad, which is a really fun and unique title that is still very underrated.

Steve Mayles retweeted this little gem on Twitter.
Always nice to see these acknowledgements.

One really nice coincidence with that artwork is that nearly all of my favorite game characters from the 90's are in the window. Samus, Ridley, and Yoshi were among my favorite characters at the time, and Samus is even cosplaying as Dixie Kong, another one of my favorite characters. The only other 90s favorites of mine that are not there are Sonic, Kirby, and Mario.

playing DKC2 again and boy this game never ceases to astonish me. its SUCH a good marriage of a fast and challenging platformer with tight controls, and a technical marvel that utilizes the system to its fullest to create an amazingly rich atmosphere.

AND it has Dixie Kong!
It is truly a masterpiece. The only two SNES platformers I would put above it would be Yoshi's Island and Super Mario World. In general, DKC2 is among the Top 5 best 2D platformers I ever played.

As to the second line, a lot of people seem to forget Dixie is the co-star to that game, sure the Western subtitle is "Diddy's Kong Quest", but you can easily go through that entire game with just playing as Dixie. In Japan, the title for DKC2 is Super Donkey Kong 2: Dixie & Diddy. I am quite surprised she is listed first, honestly.

Also, I will say that DKC3 is a great platformer and even does a few things better than DKC2. It is not as well-rounded as DKC2 is, but it is still a phenomenal game (and I strongly believe is better than DKC1), and a fantastic closer to the trilogy. As I said before, DKC3 also contributed greatly to me having Dixie as my favorite DK character and one of my favorite gaming characters during the 90s in general. It is truly underrated.

I have some bad news for everyone. I was working on that storyboard for SeashoreWar last night as a gift to this thread for Christmas, but after putting the near-finishing touches on it I can't access it anymore. "Insufficient space on Disk" is the error message I get every time, and so far there's no way to open it.

I don't wanna start over, so as it stands I won't be able to post it at all. Sorry bout that, I basically wasted 3 hours of my day on art I can't access. Still, my Christmas is going great, and I hope everyone else's is too, along with any holidays y'all might be celebrating.
I am really sorry to hear that. It is really, really annoying to be working on something for hours only to lose all of your progress. I hope you find a way to recover your lost progress. Also, thank you for warm holiday wishes, we all appreciate it.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everyone!

The new year, 2020, is coming up soon.

The 2010’s have been a tough decade for the DK series, only two games in the recent decade.

Here’s hoping that the series does better in the 2020’s decade.
I think in some ways this decade was better to the DK franchise than the 2000s were. Returns and Tropical Freeze were both highly critically acclaimed, and Returns sold very well. Contrast that with the 2000's, where while there were far more releases (the Konga trilogy, the Paon trilogy, and Jungle Beat), none of the titles aside from possibly Jungle Beat, were remembered well. One thing the 2000's had though was the inclusion of DK characters (and not just Diddy) into the Mario spinoffs. It seemed like they were tracking to be somewhat regular characters for the spinoff cast, only to be absent from any more Mario spinoffs after 2008.

As to the future, things look cloudy. Tropical Freeze got a lot of acclaim but it simply did okay sales wise. We shall see what happens, but I think the series will likely spend much of the next decade in hiatus unfortunately.

I've made a very long post concerning Dixie's prospect as DLC.

I'm fully of the belief that we are going to get 10 more DLC characters if the datamined slots are anything to go by. Also, an interesting thing I remember someone noting on another thread is that the DLC for Smash is listed by two categories: "Challenger Packs" and "Individual DLC", which is certainly something interesting as :ultpiranha: could have just easily been categoriesed as "Bonus DLC." Not exactly conclusive evidence one way or another, but certainly something interesting. In the hypothetical scenario where we were to get more individual DLCs, very few third-party characters would really fit as plausible candidates.

As for Dixie, the way I see it, Dixie making it in as either a completely unique character or a :ultwolf:/:ultluigi:/ :ultisabelle: - type character depends on certain factors.

As a completely unique, made from scratch character, she would need overwhelming fan demand on a level on par with the likes of :ultridley::ultkrool::ultbanjokazooie: and she'd need to reach that level relatively quickly.

As a derivative character, she would still need strong fan demand relatively speaking, but other factors would also have to align for her to join the battle similar to how :wolf: got in Brawl. Firstly, DLC lifespan would have to get to a point where there is no longer enough budget and time left for 5 made from scratch characters for a pass (which I personally seem skeptical of), but Sakurai in this case would also need to aknowledge Dixie as a fan demanded character that is viable as a derivative character.

The fact that Smash Ultimate has pretty much all of its DLC completed after the game itself is complete (with :ultpiranha: not managing to make the base roster due to time constraints) puts it in a situation unlike pretty much most other fighter which tends to have completed characters (that could have been the base roster of those games) saved as DLC (see the Blazblue Cross Tag controversy as an example of this). The closest comparison that I make with Ultimate as far as fighting game DLC or updates are concerned is Street Fighter 4.

For clarification Street Fighter 4 released in 2009 with 25 characters which sold around 3 million copies. The first update for that game was Super Street Fighter 4, which came with an additional 10 unique characters (with two of them, T. Hawk and Deejay, being meant for the initial version but scrapped due to time constraints). that update was released as a separate title in April 2010 and it sold around 2 million copies.

The next update was Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition which was released both as a standalone title and as DLC for Super Street Fighter 4. It had 4 additional characters. But here is the interesting part - only one of them was made from the ground up, which was a character named Yun. His brother, Yang, was the :luigi2: to Yun's :mario2: in terms of uniqueness but with the exact same body type. The two other characters were called Evil Ryu and Oni. For Evil Ryu, if Ryu was :fox: and Akuma (who is a series veteran that made his debut in Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo. Like Ken, he also has a similar moveset to Ryu, though he's more different than Ken) was :falco:, Evil Ryu was the cross between the two. Oni, being an alternate version of Akuma, was also :luigi2:-levels of uniqueness. Overall, there were a lot of derivative characters despite the success of Super.

The final Update was Ultra Street Fighter 4, which was released in 2014, both as a standalone title and DLC for physical copies of Super Street Fighter 4 and Arcade Edition which added 5 characters. Of those 5, 4 of them were directly ported from Street Fighter X Tekken and adjusted to fit Ultra Street Fighter 4 and the final one was Decapre, which could be considered a semi clone of another character called Cammy. Except, unlike with Oni and , she lacked her own distinct model and on a surface, with a lack of unique non-moveset related animation, could at surface be confused for an alt costume. Even Evil Ryu had his own distinct idle stance.

Essentially what is to be taken from all this is that a lot of different things has to align perfectly based off what-ifs for Dixie to even make it in as a derivative with Ultimate going along a slightly similar route as the SF4 series throughout the DLC cycle. Who knows if that will happen
This is a very well made post, with some very interesting ideas in it. Thank you for sharing it.

We do know for certain that the Smash DLC team will be shrinking over time as Sakurai directly confirmed that. However, I am not confident that the twilight of DLC will see us getting semi-clones or echoes as the last remaining newcomers.

I think one thing to be aware of is that if another row of stage slots is started with the post-pass DLC, it will look very weird to only have four or five stages filled in a row of eleven. I imagine if they got to the point where they could no longer make fully unique characters as DLC that development for stages would also cease.

I can only see characters being sold into packs (character, stage, and music) even for the post-pass DLC (assuming that there is no second pass). As it stands, I think if we somehow get a third round of DLC, I think they will try to keep the same format as the first two parts (a challenger pack consisting of a character, stage, and music). I think also the third round of DLC will probably be a mix of "fresh face" Nintendo characters (like a Three Houses and/or Astral Chain character) and a few additional third-party characters.

I do think though that they will look to possible characters that could be used as a base for possible future characters. This was even done with Smash 4, as Zero Suit Samus was used as a base for Bayonetta and Marth for Corrin.

However, you do bring up interesting points. If they decided to go directly for semi-clones during the twilight of DLC, it would probably bode well for Dixie. My speculation is though is that there won't be any more semi-clones added to Ultimate, but we shall see.

Again, great post.

Yes, I am quite surprised there is quite a few Dixie fans over at GameFAQs even though she is not talked about often.

Also, yes, I did re-post my essay over at GameFAQs. I might post some more stuff over at GameFAQs in the future. It was the original Smash community I belonged to, but has been in major decline since the 2000's (I barely posted there during the Ultimate epoch).

I might try posting a more concise version of my essay for people who have little patience to read something spanning multiple posts.

I feel very similar. I really want for her to be part of Ultimate's roster, but I know her prospects and chances of doing so are very low.

However, right now I am not confident about her prospects of becoming one of the most wanted newcomers. She is not gaining any new fans (or gaining very few), and the game with her last fully new appearance is now going to be over six years old. The Smash fanbase has also been trending towards third-parties and "fresh faces" for newcomer desires.

While we have a dedicated Dixie fanbase here, the Dixie fanbase is pretty quiet everywhere else on the internet.

I will make a detailed post in the weeks ahead about Dixie's current state, but a large Dixie fanbase happening would have to be the result of a synergy between passionate, dedicated fans and outside circumstances that make her seem probable at happening.

Being unlikely and needing a miracle to get in has been a hallmark for characters getting into Smash since the start. I’ll continue to hold my flame until the second Sakurai announces the end of DLC, no matter how hopeless it seems.
This is the right kind of positive sentiment to have. Dixie is very unlikely for sure and would need a tremendous miracle to get in with the circumstances surrounding her and the direction DLC currently has and will likely have in the future, but it is still okay to dream.

2020 - Year of Dixie
That would be very nice, but I am personally not optimistic. However, in 2020, Dixie will be turning 25, but considering Nintendo did nothing for DKC's 25th anniversary, I doubt anything will be done for Dixie as well. The most likely positive circumstance I see for Dixie in 2020 is the DKC trilogy being re-released for the SNES catalog for the Switch's online.

However, even a re-release of the DKC trilogy would be quite beneficial for Dixie as it would mean new exposure for Dixie's adventures to a new generation of people. I also hope it might lead to a new appraisal of DKC3, which still does not get the due it deserves.

It will be interesting to see what this upcoming year brings for Dixie, both in terms of Smash and outside of it. I was not expecting Smash DLC to continue into 2020 beyond the fifth character to the Fighters Pass. However, nothing has changed for her prospects throughout 2019, they are still very low. She is technically possible, but extremely unlikely to happen.

I think the next Nintendo Direct will probably shed light not just on the identity to the final character to the Fighters Pass but also details on just what the post-pass DLC will be. If it is just stand alone DLC independent of a pass, then it is likely that DLC for Ultimate will conclude in 2020 or in early 2021.

I wish the people of this topic a Happy New Year. 2019 brought no news or developments for Dixie fans. For 2020 though, I think outside of Smash we can at the very least possibly look forward to the inclusion of the DKC trilogy as part of Switch online.

Thank you to all who took the time out to read this post. I know its quite lengthy, so I will spoiler it so it does not take up much space in the thread.

As I said earlier, I want to get out another post in a few weeks talking about the circumstances pertaining to Dixie's current level of support as well as character support in general (as well reminiscing about my prior involvement with Ridley and Roy support).

Now begins not just a new year, but a new decade. It is still surreal think that nearly all of my Smash Bros. dreams and desires have now been fulfilled at this point. 2019 gave me Banjo-Kazooie, a character I thought to be nearly impossible to be added, and the year before gave me Ultimate in general. I don't think I will have any personal desires fulfilled in 2020, but it will still be interesting to see what happens with Smash DLC and who ends up being included.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I also heard the game (Tropical Freeze) is far more challenging than the original SNES trilogy to the point of frustration. Is this really true?
It's not true. I did not find it all that much harder than Donkey Kong Country 2, for comparison. I think the difficulty hits a very good sweet spot.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I think the 2020s will be a great time for DKC fans. I believe we are about to see a DKC and Rare renaissance come this decade.

Edit: happy new years guys!

Last edited:

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Tropical Freeze is definitely easier than DKC Returns.

Agreed. If I had to rank the DKC games in terms of difficulty from hardest to easiest it would go:

1. DKC2
2. Returns
3. Tropical Freeze
4. DKC3
5. DKC1

Obviously this is subjective. But I've only played DKC3 all the way through once. But I was really debating swapping it with Tropical Freeze as I remember DKC3 being fairly non-difficult minus a few levels.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Agreed. If I had to rank the DKC games in terms of difficulty from hardest to easiest it would go:

1. DKC2
2. Returns
3. Tropical Freeze
4. DKC3
5. DKC1

Obviously this is subjective. But I've only played DKC3 all the way through once. But I was really debating swapping it with Tropical Freeze as I remember DKC3 being fairly non-difficult minus a few levels.
I would list the games difficulty order the same as yours. And yes, Returns is definitely harder than Tropical Freeze. There are definitely more stay on your toes moments in Returns compared to Tropical Freeze.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I felt that Returns was way harder than DKC2. But maybe getting used to the Retro physics was part of that.
DKC2 is harder to me than Returns. The controls in the Returns games feel more smooth and where you feel like you have better control of the DK crew. The Rare DKC SNES trilogy's controls feels like you stop, go, stop, and do it all over again. For SNES games the controls for those games are smooth yes, but the controls for the Returns games are definitely smoother in my opinion. I would love for Retro to remake the whole Rare DKC SNES trilogy in Returns style with those controls. But first, Retro needs to make DKCR3 and bring back the Kremlings and K. Rool as the main antagonist of the franchise.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

1. DKC2
2. Returns
3. Tropical Freeze
4. DKC3
5. DKC1

Would Funky Mode Tropical Freeze be placed far lower?

Justin Little

Smash Ace
I think it's interesting it's a straight up DK calendar. Not a Mario, Zelda, or Nintendo All Stars calendar. Just DK.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
I can't see pics on the American site either

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Keep in mind, when I said TF wasn't "that much harder than DKC2", I was also taking into account getting every puzzle piece, KONG letter, secret level, etc.

Also the Secret Seclusion world, as well.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan

1. DKC2
2. Returns
3. Tropical Freeze
4. DKC3
5. DKC1

Mine is:

1. DKC Returns
  2. Tropical Freeze
  3. DKC2
  4. DKC1
  5. DKC3
It could be that I've played DKC2 more than any other game except maybe Banjo-Kazooie, but I think it's very fair. Absolutely nothing in the DK series is harder than Perilous Path in hard mode on the Wii (or classic mode on 3DS).

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Also bear in mind that Tropical Freeze has more items you can buy to soften the levels, as well as Dixie Kong.

Happy New Year everyone!

Last edited:

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
Happy New year everyone!
fe0fc64f29045ee358b7910d2bf3d3d6.jpg

On the subject of the difficulty of the games, Returns was definitely the most hardest for me though I'm not really that good at beating the recent two games, unpopular opinion but I felt that Dkc1 was a little harder than Dkc2 then again I played Dkc2 to death during my teen years, Dkc3 was very easy in my opinion but still fun to play.

Attachments

Last edited:

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
If there's a new DKC, I hope it has a nonlinear, free-roaming map like DKC3. Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair reminded me how much I love those.

Top Bottom