• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
The fact that she's not in (along with K.Rool to an extent) is really surprising to me. They're major Nintendo icons. Hopefully this next Smash will add both of them!

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Interesting thing about Dixie is there's a few different ways she could play as the DKC series doesn't have a lot of it's gameplay directly represented. We only JUST got Donkey's dash attack.

There's two main features to work with, the animal buddies, second only to Yoshi in the ride power-up in terms of iconography, and the two Kong Gameplay.

So, as I see it, there's three different Dixie movests

Dixie w/Animal Buddy summons
Dixie and Kiddy Kong, DKC Classic Style
Dixie and Kiddy Kong, Tropical Freeze Style

In the Classic one, they would act sort of like a combination of Ice Climbers and pre-4 Zelda/Sheik (other character tails but is a non factor in gameplay, Down-B to switch), while the TF one would be more like Duck Hunt with Dixie piggy-backing on Kiddy.

Which style do you prefer?

Last edited:
Dixie with animal buddies would probably never happen.

Unless im forgetting something Dixie has no link to the animal buddies that would make her get chosen to use them. Basically, animal buddies are not a defining trait of dixie so that wouldn't be her trait in smash

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Dixie with animal buddies would probably never happen.

Unless im forgetting something Dixie has no link to the animal buddies that would make her get chosen to use them. Basically, animal buddies are not a defining trait of dixie so that wouldn't be her trait in smash
I have to agree with this. The Animal Buddies seem more likely as Assist Trophies, or an Animal Buddy Crate item, than as part of Dixie's moveset.

Moving forward from that, Dixie's also more closely associated with Diddy, rather than, in spite of DKC3, Kiddy.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Happy KNUCKLES DAY, everyone! I bet Sonic's so pissed LMAO.

I agree with the above regarding Dixie and the Animal Buddies. I see her as using her hair primarily, with maybe a few items or an animal to break up the established set, but mostly a hair-heavy hitter. If you wanna cook up a moveset though Guybrush20X6 Guybrush20X6 I'll be happy to put it in the OP.

That reminds me, can anybody make somme recolors for Dixie using Smashified's art as a template? The other recolors are fine; it's just they were made before Smashified tackled Dixie and also before we learned that Smash 4 would have 8 palettes for their characters. I'm not good at making recolors out of images, so I was hoping one of my fellow Support Buddies might wanna do it.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Interesting thing about Dixie is there's a few different ways she could play as the DKC series doesn't have a lot of it's gameplay directly represented. We only JUST got Donkey's dash attack.

There's two main features to work with, the animal buddies, second only to Yoshi in the ride power-up in terms of iconography, and the two Kong Gameplay.

So, as I see it, there's three different Dixie movests

Dixie w/Animal Buddy summons
Dixie and Kiddy Kong, DKC Classic Style
Dixie and Kiddy Kong, Tropical Freeze Style

In the Classic one, they would act sort of like a combination of Ice Climbers and pre-4 Zelda/Sheik (other character tails but is a non factor in gameplay, Down-B to switch), while the TF one would be more like Duck Hunt with Dixie piggy-backing on Kiddy.

Which style do you prefer?
And this is exactly why I suggested Dixie & Kiddy team years ago. That's why my moveset in the OP is like that.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Hey everyone, I'm planning on making a Music section in the OP soon, so I need to ask: Does anyone have suggestions? Obviously Bramble Blast will be up there and I'd like to just add any David Wise track but if there's any specific tracks feel free to reply.

Also just to reiterate, can anyone make recolors of Smashified's Dixie render? It would help to have 7 variants added to her default look to follow Smash 4's standard and it'd be great to see alts of the Smashified image.

Hey everyone, I'm planning on making a Music section in the OP soon, so I need to ask: Does anyone have suggestions? Obviously Bramble Blast will be up there and I'd like to just add any David Wise track but if there's any specific tracks feel free to reply.

Also just to reiterate, can anyone make recolors of Smashified's Dixie render? It would help to have 7 variants added to her default look to follow Smash 4's standard and it'd be great to see alts of the Smashified image.
Any DKC music section without Aquatic Ambience is trash tier

Big Top Bop and Punch Bowl are pretty good too, and from TF, and therefore relevant to dixie somewhat :p

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
I want to say Fear Factory because I love that track, but that's from DKC, so not really directly related to Dixie.

From DKC2 though, definitely Hot-Head Bop, Disco Train and Boss Bossanova.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
I'd like to suggest Dixie Beat (DKC3), Rockface Rumble (DKC3), and Flight Of The Zinger (DKC2). And, well, just about anything else from Donkey Kong Country 2, as well, because the whole soundtrack is just that good. :laugh:

Dixie Beat

Rockface Rumble

Flight Of The Zinger

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Any DKC music section without Aquatic Ambience is trash tier

Big Top Bop and Punch Bowl are pretty good too, and from TF, and therefore relevant to dixie somewhat :p
LOL, I think I'll catch flak for this, but I think Amiss Abyss is my favorite water theme from the whole series. It was just so damn incredible.

Part of me wants to just have Tropical Freeze's entire soundtrack be the list.

(Try not to turn this page into a bunch of embeds. It slows down the page. Link if you can.)

LOL, I think I'll catch flak for this, but I think Amiss Abyss is my favorite water theme from the whole series. It was just so damn incredible.
Well it is a good song so I can't completely blame you. . .
Part of me wants to just have the Donkey Kong series's entire soundtrack be the list.
FTFY

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
The music section has been created! I've added all your suggestions plus a few of my own and I'll update it often. More suggestions are always welcome!
I want to say Fear Factory because I love that track, but that's from DKC, so not really directly related to Dixie.
I wouldn't sweat it, I see it as a series staple since it's been "remastered" and then remixed in DKCR (Music Madness) and then remixed again in Tropical Freeze. Since Dixie's part of that game I figure Fear Factory is fair thanks to the loophole I just made up...

D

Deleted member

Let's not forget the most underrated related-to-Dixie track:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Whilst a Dixie / Kiddy combo would be nice, as well as Dixie using Animal Buddies, I don't want them to get out of character with Dixie. I mean, it's not like she isn't capable without Kiddy's help, and as a character, Dixie is heaps more popular than Kiddy. I doubt the reception of having Kiddy with Dixie would be good, especially cause DKC3 also is the least popular game out of the original SNES triology.

Plus, am not keen on the whole "forced unique artributes" stuff that I'm reading on this forum as of late... Daisy with "Tomboy Flower Power" just because 'it fits her personality' for example... Meowth with Team Rocket's Pokemon forced to tag along, Dixie using Animal Buddies just because... I just don't like the idea of this all.

I just want Dixie to appear, and rather as a standalone character. But I personally would love it for Kiddy to be tagged with her, as I was always a supporter of the Diddy / Dixie tagteam back in the days (just like standalone Diddy- which I supported more actually). And plus, that tagteam was actually used in game, so it's not even forced. Also, I dislike the way Retro Studios did the tagteaming of Kongs, so this would be a great way of making the SNES tagteams relevant again.

Then again, I think the biggest respect Dixie can get is being an original character with her own moveset, drawing nothing from either Diddy or DK's movesets.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I still support. Your illustrated moveset convinced me to long ago, and I never stopped.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Made some updates to the OP regarding music tracks and our newest member, CrossDispatcher CrossDispatcher ! Welcome aboard, Cross. Do you mind if I call you that?

Tortilla Noggin Tortilla Noggin thanks for sharing those links. IDK why but I seemed to have missed Dixie Beat when I played through the game, but hearing it now, I like the track.

Let's not forget the most underrated related-to-Dixie track:

Don't worry I got you covered! That's one of my favorite tracks of both the console and handheld versions of DKC3. I think it's beautiful.

Whilst a Dixie / Kiddy combo would be nice, as well as Dixie using Animal Buddies, I don't want them to get out of character with Dixie. I mean, it's not like she isn't capable without Kiddy's help, and as a character, Dixie is heaps more popular than Kiddy. I doubt the reception of having Kiddy with Dixie would be good, especially cause DKC3 also is the least popular game out of the original SNES triology.

Plus, am not keen on the whole "forced unique artributes" stuff that I'm reading on this forum as of late... Daisy with "Tomboy Flower Power" just because 'it fits her personality' for example... Meowth with Team Rocket's Pokemon forced to tag along, Dixie using Animal Buddies just because... I just don't like the idea of this all.

I just want Dixie to appear, and rather as a standalone character. But I personally would love it for Kiddy to be tagged with her, as I was always a supporter of the Diddy / Dixie tagteam back in the days (just like standalone Diddy- which I supported more actually). And plus, that tagteam was actually used in game, so it's not even forced. Also, I dislike the way Retro Studios did the tagteaming of Kongs, so this would be a great way of making the SNES tagteams relevant again.

Then again, I think the biggest respect Dixie can get is being an original character with her own moveset, drawing nothing from either Diddy or DK's movesets.
This is interesting. While I agree on the idea of keeping the kongs separate and letting what they're actually capable of forming their moveset, I wanna point out that I like the way Retro handled the tagteam system. It's like they gave DK and the Kongs a Banjo-Kazooie/Ratchet & Clank dynamic but applied it to a sidescroller, and it seems that it came about as a logical compromise for the pace of the new games. It's streamlined and lets the game move seamlessly even after you lose a kong, which would help with speedruns, and unless playing on Hard Mode or a co-op player who only wants to use Dixie, you still have a method of using multiple Kongs throughout a given level.

I would be agreeing more with you if Tropical Freeze gave us no way of playing as any Kong besides DK, but the fact that you can choose which Kong to tackle the levels with in Hard Mode at least makes me fine with the way the tagteam mechanic flows. What would be great in a hypothetical 6th DKC is if we can choose which Kong to play as without Hard Mode, but I like the challenge of using the "better" (AKA not-DK) Kongs but with greater stakes. That's just me though.

I still support. Your illustrated moveset convinced me to long ago, and I never stopped.
Thanks, I very much appreciate this comment. There were times when I wasn't gonna finish it but looking back on it, I'm glad that I did. Anyway, welcome back to the Barrel!

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Tortilla Noggin Tortilla Noggin thanks for sharing those links. IDK why but I seemed to have missed Dixie Beat when I played through the game, but hearing it now, I like the track.
Dixie Beat is the title theme! If you're raring to get into the game it's easy to miss, though. :laugh:

but the fact that you can choose which Kong to tackle the levels with in Hard Mode at least makes me fine with the way the tagteam mechanic flows
Having to unlock a feature that was available at the start of every game more than 20 years ago never sat right with me, personally. :( But then, I don't like DK anywhere near as much as some of the other Kongs (particularly Diddy and Dixie), so I'm not especially inclined to enjoy any game that forces me to exclusively play as DK, and which demotes the characters I actually want to play as to mere power-ups, myself, unfortunately.

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Dixie Beat is the title theme! If you're raring to get into the game it's easy to miss, though. :laugh:

Having to unlock a feature that was available at the start of every game more than 20 years ago never sat right with me, personally. :( But then, I don't like DK anywhere near as much as some of the other Kongs (particularly Diddy and Dixie), so I'm not especially inclined to enjoy any game that forces me to exclusively play as DK, and which demotes the characters I actually want to play as to mere power-ups, myself, unfortunately.
LOL that might've been he reason then. My friend had it emulated like 10 years back so I would go to his house after school and play it, and with save states I just went to the exact point that I left off so I almost always bypassed the Title Screen.

But yea, I conform to Tropical Freeze's Hard Mode to pick my favorite Kong, but I would like to be able to choose which Kong from the start regardless of Hard Mode. That, and give DK that soundwave clap from the Wii's New Play Control Version of Jungle Beat. An extra offensive move would be nice for him and a good contrast from the others IMO. Plus it'd be a small directional wave compared to the GCN's large screen-encompassing sphere.

That reminds me; I hear that Dixie's inclusion in DKCTF kinda invalidates Diddy's abilities unless in a water level. I guess they'd need to give Diddy something that sets him apart from Dixie in the next DKC. Technically he hovers and she Double-Jumps, but you can kinda have Dixie do both, so do you have any suggestions for Diddy? Maybe make him air-dash forward a bit instead of the hover? Just speculation is all.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
That reminds me; I hear that Dixie's inclusion in DKCTF kinda invalidates Diddy's abilities unless in a water level. I guess they'd need to give Diddy something that sets him apart from Dixie in the next DKC. Technically he hovers and she Double-Jumps, but you can kinda have Dixie do both, so do you have any suggestions for Diddy? Maybe make him air-dash forward a bit instead of the hover? Just speculation is all.
Honestly, I can't think of anything, because I always felt that a jungle-dwelling monkey somehow suddenly having a jetpack was a bit stupid, from a thematic standpoint. :laugh: (I know that it's inherited from DK64, which had some major problems with throwing in "wacky for the sake of it" ideas that weren't consistent with all of the other games before it, but why they kept it I'll never understand.)

Design-wise, likewise, since it always stepped on Dixie's abilities, even if she hadn't appeared in the games where Diddy had the daft thing at the time.

Accordingly, it's difficult to think of any feasible ideas for something that I never felt belonged there in the first place.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Throw me on the support list. In a real world I'd be already playing her and K. Rool in Smash 4 damn it.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
IDK how I missed this, but I've now added Tree Gelbman Tree Gelbman to the list. Always good to have new members.

More updates to the Music Section have arrived! This time with Diddy Kong Racing tracks being added; the game originally didn't involve Dixie, but thanks to the DS re-release she has a playable slot among that roster, and as it has 2 versions I'll include both for nostalgia's sake and Dixie's sake. There's only a handful right now, but I'll get all the tracks for both versions as time goes on.

Speaking of music, I'm thinking of adding fanmade tracks like OC Remixes and the like in the future. Does anyone object to this? I personally like many of the OCRs, and I'm looking forward to adding Smashified's Dixie theme. With all music in general, keep putting out suggestions so I can add those particular tracks immediately. So far we have:

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Speaking of music, I'm thinking of adding fanmade tracks like OC Remixes and the like in the future. Does anyone object to this?
No objections here - there are some really good remixes out there.

The OC ReMix album, Donkey Kong Country 2 - Serious Monkey Business, has a number of fantastic ones, for example, and I'm sure that that doesn't even scratch the surface!

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
We're now one month away from E3 and likely a Nintendo Direct in that timeframe. What sort of speculation will we see, other than more info on Splat2 and Mario Odyssey? I'd like to know what Retro's working on personally, since I'm always wondering if they'll surprise us when it's Nintendo's turn to showcase. If they could just announce a new DKC with a trailer that doesn't use the Jungle Hijinx theme I'd be extremely happy. Any E3 wishlists anyone?

In the meantime, I've updated the Music Selection with remixes from OC Remix, Smashified and a couple others. I HIGHLY recommend Encounter In The Abyss.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Got some news today: Nintendo has released their E3 schedule and it mostly focuses on Mario Odyssey. Why does that matter for the DK series at all? That's because we'll be seeing many gameplay vids and likely get a better tour of New Donk City. For those that don't know, Mario's NYC-styled area is filled with DK references for both the Country games and the series as a whole. We'll probably see more of Dixie Street and maybe even get a cameo from a DK character. It'll most likely be DK but who knows, maybe we'll see Diddy running his supermarket and Dixie supervising a construction project on her street.

Laniv

Smash Lord
Folks, I had a strange dream that I thought would fit this thread.

In my dream, Nintendo had announced a new Donkey Kong game, but it was a 3D game, like Donkey Kong 64. Dixie Kong was one of the new characters, and she was shown off prominently like she was in Tropical Freeze.

Another new character was Kiddy Kong, who was redesigned to be smaller and standing upright. He also had a pacifier and defeated enemies with a rattle.

But the weirdest new character was an Ice Climber-like duo called the Kong Bros. These two were pretty much identical to Donkey Kong, but their fur was yellow, and one of them had a green tie. Also they clung to each other and rolled into a ball to ram enemies.

What do you think?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Got some news today: Nintendo has released their E3 schedule and it mostly focuses on Mario Odyssey. Why does that matter for the DK series at all? That's because we'll be seeing many gameplay vids and likely get a better tour of New Donk City. For those that don't know, Mario's NYC-styled area is filled with DK references for both the Country games and the series as a whole. We'll probably see more of Dixie Street and maybe even get a cameo from a DK character. It'll most likely be DK but who knows, maybe we'll see Diddy running his supermarket and Dixie supervising a construction project on her street.
This is quite damn promising! I do personally hope for the Kongs to appear in game. It's a logical assumption, but maybe they'll announce that 'one' Donkey Kong game that's been rumored about for so long. It could be simple marketing, but am hoping for more. Any Kong appearance is good with me, and this might result in more crossovers. Yet I'd like for the Mario characters to stay out of Donkey Kong. A little cameo wouldn't be bad. Let's say a Yoshi egg somewhere within Kremlings areas, or something similar.

RealLuigisWearPink

Smash Ace
Yeah, Dixie should've been in about.. 16 years ago? I'll take her on her own or as a team with Kiddy. I'd actually really like the team with Kiddy because DKC3 is my favorite of the Trilogy. I think it's more likely she'd be on her own though.

Either way, support.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Welcome aboard, RealLuigisWearPink RealLuigisWearPink ! I'll add you immediately.

Got some new tracks here. I've updated DKC2, 3, DKCTF and added 1 track from Barrel Blast. I also put Music Madness and Frozen Frenzy next to Fear Factory.
Series Staples:
Jungle Hijinxs (DKC2, DK64, Jungle Beat, Returns (Silhouette Version 1, 2, Tiki Tong), Tropical Freeze
Aquatic Ambience (Returns, Tropical Freeze)

Fear Factory (Returns, Music Madness, Frozen Frenzy) *NEW*
Stickerbrush Symphony (Twilight Terror, Tropical Freeze Credits Uncut)
Minecart Madness (Returns, Version 1, 2, 3, 4)

Diddy's Kong Quest:
Hot-Head Bop
Disco Train
Boss Bossanova
Flight of the Zinger
Jib Jig
Mining Melancholy *NEW*
Toxic Tower *NEW*
Rattle Battle *NEW*
Forest Interlude *NEW*
Bayou Boogie *NEW*

Dixie Kong's Double Trouble!:
Dixie Beat
Rockface Rumble
Nuts N' Bolts
Jungle Jitters (GBA)
Stilt Village (GBA)
Pokey Pipes *NEW*
Hot Pursuit *NEW*
Frosty Frolics *NEW*
Cavern Caprice *NEW*

Diddy Kong Racing (N64 & DS)
Star City (DS)
Spaceport Alpha (DS)
Boss Theme (DS)
Wizpig Theme (DS)
Walrus Cove

Donkey Kong Barrel Blast
Cosmic Highway *NEW*

Tropical Freeze:
Amiss Abyss
Big Top Bop
Punch Bowl
Wing Ding
Fruity Factory *NEW*
Scorch N Torch *NEW*
Frantic Fields (Dynamite Dash) *NEW*
Snowmad's Island Theme *NEW*
Busted Bayou *NEW*
Horn Top Hop (Inside the Giant Horn) *NEW*

REMIXES:

DJ CUTMAN:
Da Mines Remix (Mining Melancholy)
Forever Frozen (In a Snow-Bound Land)

DJINNFINITY:
Dusty Echoes (Mining Melancholy)
High Rollin (Disco Train)

SMASHIFIED:
Dixie's Voyage (K. Rool Returns, Aqueduct Assault, Jib Jig)

VINCENT RUBINETTI:
Gears Grinding (Nuts and Bolts)
Encounter In The Abyss (Lockjaw's Saga)

OC Remix:
Re-Skewed (Donkey Kong Rescued)
Trapped in the Minds (Kannon's Klaim)
Crystal Swamp (Snakey Chantey)
This is quite damn promising! I do personally hope for the Kongs to appear in game. It's a logical assumption, but maybe they'll announce that 'one' Donkey Kong game that's been rumored about for so long. It could be simple marketing, but am hoping for more. Any Kong appearance is good with me, and this might result in more crossovers. Yet I'd like for the Mario characters to stay out of Donkey Kong. A little cameo wouldn't be bad. Let's say a Yoshi egg somewhere within Kremlings areas, or something similar.
Yea I'm fine with cameos here and there like Mr. Game & Watch in Returns or Samus's ship in Tropical Freeze as a nice surprise, but unless they specifically make a crossover game where the plot is for 2 franchises to team up I prefer the way things are now.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Folks, I had a strange dream that I thought would fit this thread.

In my dream, Nintendo had announced a new Donkey Kong game, but it was a 3D game, like Donkey Kong 64. Dixie Kong was one of the new characters, and she was shown off prominently like she was in Tropical Freeze.

Another new character was Kiddy Kong, who was redesigned to be smaller and standing upright. He also had a pacifier and defeated enemies with a rattle.

But the weirdest new character was an Ice Climber-like duo called the Kong Bros. These two were pretty much identical to Donkey Kong, but their fur was yellow, and one of them had a green tie. Also they clung to each other and rolled into a ball to ram enemies.

What do you think?
I was thinking about the Kong Bros thing for a bit and it hit me; what if they had Kiddy and Chunky behave like the way you describe the Bros? They're brothers already and since Chunky's much older than Kiddy, I can see alot of tagteam-type moves coming from them if they were in the same game. Just a thought.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I just wish that Nintendo would at least include Dixie Kong in more Mario spin-off games besides that basketball game and those baseball games. I wish she was in Mario Kart 8... but then again, they didn't even include Diddy Kong.

I hope for Mario Kart 9, Nintendo includes more Donkey Kong characters like Diddy Kong, Dixie Kong, Funky Kong, Tiny Kong, King K. Rool, Kritter, Donkey Kong Jr., Pauline, and Stanley. Please no more baby versions, undead versions, metal versions, and costume versions of existing characters.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
I hope for Mario Kart 9, Nintendo includes more Donkey Kong characters like Diddy Kong, Dixie Kong, Funky Kong, Tiny Kong, King K. Rool, Kritter, Donkey Kong Jr., Pauline, and Stanley.
Honestly, if they were to add that many DK series characters to Mario Kart, it wouldn't feel very much like Mario Kart anymore. I'd rather see some or all of those in the long-rumoured Diddy Kong Racing 2, myself.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Honestly, if they were to add that many DK series characters to Mario Kart, it wouldn't feel very much like Mario Kart anymore. I'd rather see some or all of those in the long-rumoured Diddy Kong Racing 2, myself.
10 characters out of approximately 45-50 characters (MK8DX has 42 characters) and it's no longer Mario Kart? Did Mario Super Sluggers feel like it's not a Mario game because it had many Donkey Kong characters? :p

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
10 characters out of approximately 45-50 characters (MK8DX has 42 characters) and it's no longer Mario Kart?
Considering that they keep guest appearances to a minimum (DK is the series that's had the most, with three characters at the peak of its Mario Kart inclusions), it would be pushing it a bit in my book, personally. ;)

Did Mario Super Sluggers feel like it's not a Mario game because it had many Donkey Kong characters? :p
I have no idea who's even on the roster for that game, because it was never released in my country, so I couldn't tell you! :laugh:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Considering that they keep guest appearances to a minimum (DK is the series that's had the most, with three characters at the peak of its Mario Kart inclusions), it would be pushing it a bit in my book, personally. ;)

I have no idea who's even on the roster for that game, because it was never released in my country, so I couldn't tell you! :laugh:
Mario Wiki is your friend. :p

Also, considering the fact we have 7 non-Mario characters (not including Donkey Kong) out of 42 characters in MK8DX, I think Nintendo isn't concerned about the number of guests in Mario Kart... as long as the Mario characters vastly outnumber the guests, that is! :awesome:

I guess I never considered Donkey Kong characters, including Donkey Kong himself, as guest characters in Mario spin-off games. It just seems odd to consider them "guests", especially when Mario and Donkey Kong and their shared universe originated from one arcade game.

Speaking of shared universes, I would love to see more Yoshi and Wario characters in Mario Kart as well. Kamek, Toady, Poochy, Stork, Bandit, Crazee Dayzee, Raphael the Raven, Captain Syrup, Mona, Ashley, Princess Shokora, and Queen Merelda would be great.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
I guess I never considered Donkey Kong characters, including Donkey Kong himself, as guest characters in Mario spin-off games. It just seems odd to consider them "guests", especially when Mario and Donkey Kong and their shared universe originated from one arcade game.
Perhaps it's just me who sees it that way, but in spite of the shared origin, I picked up that feeling from the way that the two series have typically been kept pretty separate for decades, as far as their mainline games go. And spin-offs, come to think of it - there were no Mario characters in Diddy Kong Racing, either, even though DK was in Mario Kart 64. The most we ever saw were small nods to the connection between the two, like Super Mario RPG's Chained Kong enemies (the game was never released here, and I felt sorry for them when I saw them in screenshots in import coverage :laugh:), and DKC3's save-room scene that featured Wrinkly Kong playing Super Mario 64, and so on.

That said, I should mention that I'm not a fan of how some folks will use the shared origins and spin-off crossovers in order to claim that "DK is a Mario spin-off" and use that to justify why we shouldn't have more DK characters in Smash, so I'm also not a fan of blurring the line between the two series too much because of that, as well. :laugh:

Last edited:
Top Bottom