• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
i like the level design tbh. well besides poison pipes which is more annoying than anything

actually, i like DKC3 quite a bit in general. it doesnt quite live up to DKC2 obviously but there's some really fun and creative level design and i love the visuals and the moodier ambient soundtrack.

this isnt related but i'm still kinda miffed we never got Switch profile icons for Tropical Freeze. if i cant be Dixie in Smash then i at least wanna be her in the user menus

Last edited:

ze9

Smash Ace
DKC3 is great, but sometimes it really becomes too gimmicky for its own good. Plus, as a game, it's a little bit slower than DKC1 and DKC2. And the soundtrack is a lot darker and less melodic than Wise's compositions, so it may not be everyone's cup of tea (I love it though, some tracks like Water world, Nuts and bolts and Rockface rumble are incredible). And Kiddy, while being fine, just doesn't compare to Donkey, Diddy and Dixie. So I think DKC3 is a bit more of an acquired taste.
When I just played it from start to finish, I didn't like it very much. When I replayed it sometime later going for the 100%, though, I had a blast. The game really rewards exploration and observation, even more than DKC2. I'd say it's way more focused on that than on platforming, sometimes it feels more like an adventure game than a platformer. It's a very different game compared to the other two.

See, this is how we know we're moving up in the world. I guarantee that sock puppeteer doesn't even care about Plusle and Minun, they just don't want Dixie to win. That's what happens whenever a character that's popular with "nineties kids" starts gaining traction. It happened to Ridley, it happened to King K. Rool, it happened to Banjo, and now, wouldn't ya know it, it's happening to Dixie.
Yeah, that's a good sign. I was waiting for this moment. It means the support is really starting to drum up.
Also, the constant hating may have even been a positive thing for Ridley and K. Rool. Social groups (including fanbases) only really consolidate when an aspect of "us" VS "them" starts being present. For some reason, it really makes you more passionate. Maybe the support wouldn't have endured as much without all the "too big" and "too irrelevant" babbling.

It's kinda weird how it only happens to '90s characters though. '80s characters are even older and usually just as disconnected from the younger generations but they never have to deal with that. Simon didn't produce the amounts of salt that Banjo did. I wonder why it is this way.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Why is DKC3 everyone's least favorite? Even hardcore DKC connoisseurs (and/or people who don't hate Kiddy) like Courtney Svatek usually rank it dead last. But it's so much better than DKC1! It's longer, the level design is much more dynamic, the bosses are much better, every single world has new settings and gimmicks, and c'mon, it's Dixie's first starring role! There's so much to love about it.
Bro (or Sis), honestly...DKC3 whoops DKC1's *** in everything but the music. Gameplay, Content, Level Design, Replayability, etc is leaps and bounds past the 1st game and far more rewarding. It's mostly underrated because of Kiddy (partially; he has some fans I guess), releasing months before the N64, living in DKC2's shadow and the music--which isn't bad, but a little too tame and/or calm for its own good. Also the K. Rool fight is kinda tedious and I personally thought Belcha and Bleak were too corny. Also the Kremlings weren't that fascinating this time; can't put my finger on it. Also KAOS was meh. Still a far superior game to DKC1 though.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
It's kinda weird how it only happens to '90s characters though. '80s characters are even older and usually just as disconnected from the younger generations but they never have to deal with that. Simon didn't produce the amounts of salt that Banjo did. I wonder why it is this way.
idk about you but i had an interaction with someone on twitter who was very bitter about simon's inclusion: they had never heard of castlevania before and believed that simon got the spot that rightfully belonged to shovel knight.

StormC

Smash Hero
The K. Rool fight in DKC3 is definitely the weakest in the trilogy. He just flies back and forth waiting to be hit.

Simon didn't produce the amounts of salt that Banjo did. I wonder why it is this way.
Simon didn't have a large, vocal, aggressive fanbase who plugged him at every chance they got. Ridley, K. Rool and Banjo attracted their fair share of detractors because they were omnipresent despite being seemingly impossible so people got annoyed and fed up with seeing them all the time.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
I still like DKC3 a lot. But it has a lot of aesthetic issues. Just seems like a mess sometimes. Especially coming from DKC2, which seemed so focused, it was disappointing.

I personally would go with a horror/creepy angle for a remake. I think the game is sometimes creepy, like the underwater levels. So I'd expand that. Maybe make the Kremilngs look like science experiments.

Environments, I think I'd stick to the Canadian theme for most of it. But maybe more fantastical stuff, too.

And I personally think they really should have done more to expand Dixie's abilities in the game.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
DKC3 was great, but I still wouldn’t hold it higher than the original game I esteem honestly. DKC2 is clearly the superior DKC game and that’s because it does exactly what the other two games do, but better. More ambient and faster than DKC1, and better adventuring / exploring / debt of level design than DKC3. But I hugely prefer DKC3 over any other Nintendo platformer that I played (or any platformer in general honestly) and that includes the Mario games.

What DKC3 overdoes, DKC1 lacks in a way. But the overall ambience, story, and a sort of grandiosity that DKC1 has is absent in DKC3, and the main characters are also less charming even if Dixie is the next best thing after DK and Diddy. DKC1 has quite some replayability because of how easy the game makes it to speed run it. So many secrets in the simple levels, and many of the levels are beautiful in design. Honestly, in that regard it might even beat out DKC2, because I feel it’s yet unchallenged in a DKC game, however Tropical Freeze comes real close.

Anyway it’s real hard for me to rank the DKC games after DKC2 and after that Tropical Freeze because they all have a real unique feeling that’s not replicated in any other game.

ze9

Smash Ace
DKC1 is probably the most fun to just plug in and play a few levels in quick succession. It can be really fast and visceral, more than 2 and 3.
Retro's games are particularly awesome because they can be as fast as DKC1, but they still have all the secrets and the intricacies of DKC2 and 3.

Simon didn't have a large, vocal, aggressive fanbase who plugged him at every chance they got. Ridley, K. Rool and Banjo attracted their fair share of detractors because they were omnipresent despite being seemingly impossible so people got annoyed and fed up with seeing them all the time.
Ah yes, it may be that. Thinking about it, it also happens with non-'90s characters, like Sans.
And I guess that's the same thing that's driving my feelings for Sora, huh.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
DKCR emulated the feel of DKC1 the most yes. Very fast paced, and the layout of the levels and simple secrets fit the original game very well. And it was held in high esteem because of that. Because it’s literally Donkey Kong Country, but in a new suit and hugely updated. However there are still reasons to play the original game over it, and that’s not so much true with Tropical Freeze. As it basically pulls the original and Returns out of the water, but I do think it’s more similar to DKC3 than any other game.

It (Tropical Freeze) just does the gimmicky stuff way better than DKC3, and doesn’t try to hold in on it’s silliness. Sometimes DKC3 had this in quite a conflicted way, where it tried to be serious one time and another completely opposite of it. I guess it’s part of the charm, but this is where I think the design of DKC1 and DKC2 are superior, maybe especially the original game. Because, again of the overall ambience. You don’t really feel like you’re playing a game that takes place inside a jungle, ancient temple, deep woods, or caves, you somehow felt like you where present there yourselves; and that’s amazing for a very first experience of a franchise! That’s why I somewhat get the Miyamoto comment of DKC1 being simple, but pretty and how people may overlook its simplicity purely by how the game makes you feel. But I guess that’s where we see the franchise growing! The overall simplicity and high focus on the atmosphere over gameplay influenced the direction of DKC after the original game.

And damn the more I think of it, the more I feel this franchise’s full potential hasn’t even been fully realized. I’d do things for a game that has the complexity of DKC2 and Tropical Freeze but the ambience of the original DKC.

ZelDan

Smash Master
DKC3 was good, I just didn't like it as much as the first 2 SNES games.

Only DK game I didn't like was DK64. Past that I also wasn't crazy about Donkey Kong Land 2 or 3, since they just felt like poor man's DKC2 and DKC3, respectively. DKL1 wasn't amazing either but it atleast felt more like it's own thing, from what I remember.

StormC

Smash Hero
The Retro games are fantastic and some of the best platformers of the decade, but as far as DKC goes, I prefer how the SNES trilogy wasn't so busy. There's so much going on in the screen during these games that you rarely get a chance to soak it all in, especially with all of the noise and the camera being pulled so far back. And I miss the tag team system; having the other Kongs reduced to power-ups takes away a lot of what I enjoy about the originals. To say nothing about Animal Buddies and Kremlings...

Tropical Freeze is a good enough game where on its own merits I still prefer it to DKC1, but I'll take 2 and 3 over it still, and DKCR is my least favorite (but still very good). My biggest issues with DKC1 are the boss battles, over-emphasis on barrel blasting levels, and focus on vertical level design; each level is basically one long screen, while 2 and 3 have a lot more vertical exploration. But the atmosphere and soundtrack carry it hardcore. It's still the most "naturalistic" feeling game in the series.

So I guess for me it's like...

DKC1: B+
DKC2: A+
DKC3: A
DKCR: B+
DKCTF: A-

Last edited:

ze9

Smash Ace
My ranking would be:

-Tropical Freeze (A+)
-Diddy's Kong Quest (A)
-DKC Returns (B+)
-Jungle Beat (B)
-DKC1 (B)
-DK64 (B-)
-DKC3 (B-)

Series as a whole: A.
One of my favorites. Not a single bad game. Love the platforming, love the characters, love the atmosphere, love the music.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
The Retro games are fantastic and some of the best platformers of the decade, but as far as DKC goes, I prefer how the SNES trilogy wasn't so busy. There's so much going on in the screen during these games that you rarely get a chance to soak it all in, especially with all of the noise and the camera being pulled so far back. And I miss the tag team system; having the other Kongs reduced to power-ups takes away a lot of what I enjoy about the originals. To say nothing about Animal Buddies and Kremlings...

Tropical Freeze is a good enough game where on its own merits I still prefer it to DKC1, but I'll take 2 and 3 over it still, and DKCR is my least favorite (but still very good). My biggest issues with DKC1 are the boss battles, over-emphasis on barrel blasting levels, and focus on vertical level design; each level is basically one long screen, while 2 and 3 have a lot more vertical exploration. But the atmosphere and soundtrack carry it hardcore. It's still the most "naturalistic" feeling game in the series.

So I guess for me it's like...

DKC1: B+
DKC2: A+
DKCR: B+
DKCTF: A-
For me it gotta be like this, doing only the platformer titles because they are best to compare:

DKC: A
DKC2: S
DKC3: A-
DKCR: A
DKCTF: S-

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
My problems with DKC3 is I hate the overworld map/exploring. I much prefer the standard map layout of other DKC games. I just want to go level to level instantly it kills the flow/pace for me. I find the music extremely boring and lackluster except a few small handful of tracks (I can understand why Wise would re-do the soundtrack for the GBA port). The level designs are gimmicky, Kiddy is well..Kiddy and the Kremling designs are ugly and off putting in this game (though I get they were purposefully designed that way to fit the games theme/narrative but I still dont like them).

My DK rankings:

DKC1 - B
DKC2 - A
DKC3 - C+
DKCR - B-
DK64 - C+ (was an A as a kid)
DKJB (GCN version) - C
DKJB (Wii version) - A
DKCTF - A+

Spin-offs just for fun:

King of Swing - D
Jungle Climber - C-
Diddy Kong Racing - B+/A- (cant decide)
Barrel Blast - B (guilty pleasure)
Mario vs. Donkey Kong (GBA) - B-
Donkey Kong Land - C+
Donkey Konga/2 - C-/D

Never played Donkey Kong Land 2 or 3 or the GBA DKC ports so cant rank them.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
The GBA ports? I only ever owned DKC2 for that because I loved having it portable. And they added new collections as the Golden Feathers and the photographs of enemies which rewarded you new Hero Coins that you’d need for getting into the Lost World. And there was a new boss battle with Kerozene which was a very fitting fight and quite unique, and even somewhat challenging. I played DKC3 on the VC and borrowed DKC1 GBA from a friend. I still think the overall experience is better on SNES however but they are very well done games!

From all the spin offs, I think Jungle Climber is easily my favorite. It’s just such a great game, very unique and fun, captures the DKC experience without it being a platformer, brought back many old enemies, had K.Rool as the main villain again, only bad thing I can think of was how Diddy was used as a power up; but it’s forgivable because it was the very first time it happened. Even Xananab was a great new character.

And despite how bad people think DK64 was, I’ll still rank it higher than Jungle Beat. It should’ve gotten way more love and attention just like the original DKC and Banjo-Kazooie, but I appreciate it for what it is. It might be a very unpopular opinion but regardless: I enjoyed it better than Banjo-Kazooie while I know that objectively Banjo was a better game. It just failed to live up to its grand expectations... and really, I wish I could ever feel the hype that was the hype before DK64 for a video game again.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
DKC3 is very clearly a B-Team effort. It wasn't made by the same development group at Rare who worked on DKC and DKC2, as those guys had already moved on to Project Dream, which ended up becoming Banjo-Kazooie. DKC3 was made by a newer less experienced team, and it kinda shows.

Last edited:

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
The reasons given are generally:

-Soundtrack is the weakest of the trilogy
-Kiddy Kong
-Level design is often gimmicky
-Character designs are less appealing than the first two games

It's my second favorite behind DKC2, and I even used to prefer it to 2, but you could argue its biggest crime is not living up to the masterpiece before it.
I don't agree that the soundtrack is the weakest of the trilogy. Compared to DKC1's soundtrack, the lows are lower, but the highs are definitely higher. Water World in particular is phenomenal; sometimes I think it's better than Aquatic Ambiance. And then there's the GBA soundtrack, which is just great all across the board. If you haven't heard the GBA versions of Stilt Village and Cascade Capers, I highly recommend that you do so.

The K. Rool fight in DKC3 is definitely the weakest in the trilogy. He just flies back and forth waiting to be hit.
See, I don't necessarily agree. I think DKC1's K. Rool fight is the weakest. It has amazeballs music which makes it very memorable, but during the whole middle section, K. Rool literally does nothing. He just stands there waiting out the cannonballs and you can't interact with him in any way. DKC3's fight may be a bit... chiller, but it's a much better test of your skill.

StormC

Smash Hero
I don't agree that the soundtrack is the weakest of the trilogy. Compared to DKC1's soundtrack, the lows are lower, but the highs are definitely higher. Water World in particular is phenomenal; sometimes I think it's better than Aquatic Ambiance. And then there's the GBA soundtrack, which is just great all across the board. If you haven't heard the GBA versions of Stilt Village and Cascade Capers, I highly recommend that you do so.

See, I don't necessarily agree. I think DKC1's K. Rool fight is the weakest. It has amazeballs music which makes it very memorable, but during the whole middle section, K. Rool literally does nothing. He just stands there waiting out the cannonballs and you can't interact with him in any way. DKC3's fight may be a bit... chiller, but it's a much better test of your skill.
I've played the GBA version before. Although it has some great music, I definitely prefer the SNES soundtrack.

Also, DKC1 K. Rool's boss fight has him actually try to fight you. For DKC3 you can just park yourself on a platform and wait while he flies around, as if you're not even there. That automatically puts it at the bottom.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
when it comes to the DKC3 soundtracks, i personally think:

SNES = Better in-game atmosphere
GBA = Better listening experience

Strong DK

Smash Apprentice
DKC3 is better than the most of Nintendo's platformers but as a DKC game it's the worst. Music is mostly meh, Kiddy Kong should not even exist, atmosphere is poor compared to previous games...

DKC: A+
DKC2 : A
DKC3 : C-
DK64 : B+
DKJB: A- (Wii U)
DKCR: A++
DKTF: A++++

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
From the DKC games I've played and completed, here's where I would ranks the game.

DKC: B+
DKC2: A+++
DK64: C
DKCR: A+
DKCTF: A+++

I can't decide which game is better, Diddy's Kong Quest or Tropical Freeze lol!

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
DKC3 is better than the most of Nintendo's platformers but as a DKC game it's the worst. Music is mostly meh, Kiddy Kong should not even exist, atmosphere is poor compared to previous games...
You can't look me in the eye and tell me levels like Rocket Barrel Ride, Fireball Frenzy, Ripsaw Rage, Krevice Kreepers, or Floodlit Fish have bad atmosphere. You just can't.

I can't decide which game is better, Diddy's Kong Quest or Tropical Freeze lol!
Been there, brother. I think that if you could measure out video game goodness with math, then Tropical Freeze would be better, but my heart will always belong to DKC2. It's the one that stimulates my imagination the most. And you can't go wrong with a piratey theme.

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
I wish I could give games as high of grades as a lot of you. But Im too much of a critic. Their are very little games I would give "A++" too because no game is perfect IMO and their is always something in some game I find annoying or could be done better.

Tropical Freeze IMO is definitely the best DK game. It would be "A++" to me if it had K.Rool and Kremlings (Snowmads arent bad and definitely leagues better than flying pieces of wood that Nintendo tried to pass off as "cooler and more fresh" than crocodiles..), more varied bonus rooms, better collectibles (when will developers learn that concept art, music, and trophies/dioramas arent good/cool/fun rewards..), and more animal buddies.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I simply can’t rate Tropical Freeze as the highest because of quite a few things:

-Overly reliance on your buddy Kongs, and having a very unbalanced system with them. Dixie being Easy Mode the character, Cranky being situational and Diddy is only there if you’re a fan on him
-It’s very short. Just 6 worlds, and you feel like you rush throughout the game because of it. Sure it’s replay value is high, but I just wish it had at least one more world.
-DK on his own has no special ability or anything and makes playing him a liability. In DKC1 he at least had the power to take down heavier enemies, this would’ve been much appreciated here.

Compare this to DKC2, and honestly I think Diddy’s Kong Quest is really not matched by any other platform game in existence. Tropical Freeze is definitely second, don’t get me wrong, but DKC2 still blows it out of the water for all it’s content, extras, characters and tag team system, boss fights, length of levels / worlds, extreme variation in level design, the Animal Buddies bringing so much extra..... I just can’t see this game being topped. They perfected the formula with DKC2 honestly.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
It’s very short. Just 6 worlds, and you feel like you rush throughout the game because of it. Sure it’s replay value is high, but I just wish it had at least one more world.
The levels are rather long, however, which to me makes up for it.

Also you can unlock a 7th world.

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
I do agree with the point that Tropical Freeze is short as hell. I remember when the game first came out being extremely disappointed that TF had less levels/worlds than Returns. I remember one of the Retro developers saying in an interview that "the stages are longer than Returns to compensate" but I never felt that way. Yeah on your first playthrough if you're trying to collect all the puzzle pieces and KONG letters in each stage yeah the stages can take a decent amount of time. But once you know where everything is and get a hang of the level designs as well as the Kongs movements you can beat those stages in no time.

It also makes me even more upset with the games length because they could've added extra worlds/levels with the Switch port or DLC to rectify it but they didnt. Especially considering Retro did the Switch port themselves and they havent had a new game released since 2014. What have they been doing this whole time? Nothing? They could've added more to the Switch port of Tropical Freeze than just an easy mode via Funky Kong. Especially since they wanted to charge an extra $10.

All that being said I still think TF soundtrack is the best soundtrack in the series, I think the faster paced more action oriented style gameplay is more fun than the SNES originals (and I love the original games) and I love the dynamic level designs of the Retro games more than the Rare levels. Thats why I feel TF is the best of the DK series.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
The levels are rather long, however, which to me makes up for it.

Also you can unlock a 7th world.
I didn’t quite like the 7th world, but yeah the levels could be quite long at times. But DKC2 had very long levels as well. So that’s why I don’t really think it’s a plus point compared to DKC2.

However, I think Grassland Groove might be my favorite level in all DKC games and the soundtrack of Tropical Freeze is also the best. It’s a hard competition between DKC2 and Tropical Freeze honestly, but seeing how DKC2 lives up to the quality of the franchise till this very day, it’s taking the crown for me. It aged fantastically, but so did all the SNES DKC titles.

All am hoping is that with a next DKC title from Retro, they will look at the old tag team systems and make the Kongs more balanced. Bring back the throwing mechanics, give DK a strength advantage over the other Kongs or a straight up more powerful ground slapping attack or something he can do alone like.. why not having the Giant Punch? Makes him able to OHKO enemies, and gives you the advantage of having DK around. In all honesty, I would take a game with DK and Diddy alone without the Kremlings even to have such a tag team experience again like the original games. Especially because DKC1 lacked this compared to 2 and 3, and I feel like 3 perfected it because you needed to throw up high as Kiddy by throwing Dixie and break stuff as Dixie throwing Kiddy.

But really I won’t expect anything DKC related from Retro because they had to start over with Metroid, and that’s just a shame..... </3 I really want them to make another DKC, even if they keep the Buddy Kong system as is (I’ll still pick Diddy 99% of the time).

Last edited:

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
DKCTF is really good but I still dislike the physics in the Retro games vs. Rare games.

And DKCTF starts out a little "slow" and unimpressively. Mangrove world as a whole looks a little bland. Not to mention that it doesn't sound the best either.

Last edited:

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
I like everything about Tropical Freeze in a vacuum: the soundtrack is fantastic, the level design and gameplay mechanics are fun, there's a lot of personality to it. And yet for whatever reason I can't get into it like the SNES games. It is very well-designed, but it just doesn't appeal to me on a personal level.

Could just be nostalgia, but I didn't feel that way about DKC3, which I only played about a year ago.

DX_E

Smash Apprentice
I've always put DKC2 above TF mainly because the game feels ageless to me. Whenever I go back to DKC2 I play it to perfection every time. With TF, I get so far and just stop. I don't know what it is exactly but DKC2 just has more magic....and with saying that I'd probably put DKC3 above TF too. DKC3 always surprises me. I prefer the mechanics of the older games and felt like there was something unique about playing these 'sidekick' characters that had to prove their heroism and abilities. I think with DKC2 especially, it's all about Diddy and Dixie stepping up and overcomming the treacherous difficulties that await them. Come to think of it, one of the main reasons I want Dixie in smash is because she's proven herself to be on same level as DK and Diddy.

So I wasn't going to do this but

DKC2: S
DKC3: A++
DK:TF: A++
Diddy Kong Racing: =)
DKCR: A
DKC1: A
DKJB: B+
DK64: C

ze9

Smash Ace
It's hard to choose, but I'd give the crown to Tropical Freeze. In its best moments it reaches full-on sensory experience.
Levels like Busted Bayou, Windmill Hills, Alpine Incline, Grassland Groove, Scorch 'n Torch, High Tide Ride, Amiss Abyss, Irate Eight, Jelly Jamboree, Homecoming Hijinx, Seashore War... They really pull you in. You really feel inside that natural world that the game is presenting. The graphics are incredible, with all those details and those fantastic colors. The music is always very atmosferic and very melodic, with lots of strokes of genius (like the didgeridoo in Scorh 'n Torch) and it always complements the scenery incredibly well.
On top of that, the platforming is fantastic, you can let it have any pace you want it to be. Hyper-fast or slow and methodical. And the level design is constantly evolving and filling you with stimulations. You're really pulled inside your own gameplay loop, and on top of that there's the sensory experience provided by graphics + music that I was talking about earlier. It's just hypnotizing.

I guess that's just a natural evolution of DKC2, since that game has the exact same strenghts. But 4 generations of technological advancements really put Tropical Freeze on a higher plain, to me.
I also love the bosses. Fighting BASHMASTER THE UNBREAKABLE while that incredibly badass metal track plays in the background is really something.
And nnnnngh, that remix of Stickerbush Symphony... It's the best version it ever got, the only one that surpasses the original, in my opinion.
I really love Tropical Freeze. Best 2d platformer ever made, and best soundtrack a videogame ever got.

DKC2 though is a bit more consinstent with its theming, has a better secret world, better bonus rooms, and the final climb through K. Rool's castle is somehow more epic than the final romp of levels in the frozen DK Island.
To me they're clearly the two best games in the franchise, anyways. The others are also great, but DKC2 and TF really pull out all the stops.

DX_E

Smash Apprentice
And nnnnngh, that remix of Stickerbush Symphony... It's the best version it ever got, the only one that surpasses the original, in my opinion.
I have to disagree with this mainly because of how the shakuhachi is played. Whilst the rest is amazing, the shakuhachi hurts my ears.

ze9

Smash Ace
I have to disagree with this mainly because of how the shakuhachi is played. Whilst the rest is amazing, the shakuhachi hurts my ears.
Yeah, that one is definitely an acquired taste. But I love the vibe it gives. It makes the arrangement feel even more intimate and warm.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Damn I would LOVE to jump in on ranking the DK games but ATM I can't and only dropped in to share this. I finally finished TheYungLink TheYungLink 's storyboard:

I made it look all sketchy but I'm quite proud of it. FEEDBACK OF ALL KINDS IS STRONGLY ENCOURAGED. I can also do more; don't be shy.
Oh how bad do I wish this was real. Hopefully someday we can wake up to see this reality.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Damn I would LOVE to jump in on ranking the DK games but ATM I can't and only dropped in to share this. I finally finished TheYungLink TheYungLink 's storyboard:

I made it look all sketchy but I'm quite proud of it. FEEDBACK OF ALL KINDS IS STRONGLY ENCOURAGED. I can also do more; don't be shy.
AAAAAH I love this, it's just as cute and lighthearted as I imagined!

Top Bottom