• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
Well, in my case I played and beat DKC 1 and Diddy Kong Racing before DK64; DKC1 came out when I was 2, and by the time I played it I was 4 and thus the N64 had just come out (1996), so my family left the SNES behind. With Diddy Kong Racing coming out in '97 and me loving Diddy almost as much as Crash, when DK64 hit in '99 I was all over it as I could finally play as Diddy in a Mario 64 style game. I didn't learn about Dixie until I read Tiny's bio in the manual, and didn't know what she looked like until I saw her trophy in Melee. I'd already played and beaten DKC1, but didn't get to the sequels until 2007, at which point I gravitated towards Dixie because she made the levels much easier.

It's funny that Dixie upstaged Diddy the way Diddy upstaged DK for me. If I got to play DKC2 as a kid, Dixie would probably have been my favorite Kong instead lol.
I played them in this order: 1, 3, 2. I got DKC1 for... I'm gonna say Christmas (though it could've been my birthday since they're pretty close together) in 1995. Then I saved up my allowance and bought DKC3 the following year.

It's pretty funny... without DKC2 to bridge them, DKC1 and DKC3 feel like they're from two completely different series. DKC1 is crazy streamlined compared to its sequels (I'd say it's even simpler than Super Mario World) and DKC3 has, like, NPCs and trade quests and secrets on the map screen, and almost every level has a totally unique gimmick.

I didn't play DKC2 until Christmas at my cousin's house in 1998. It immediately became my favorite game of all time. It's probably the first video game that ever made me think of games as art that could make you feel things instead of just fun toys.

But if you ask me, DKC2 and TF are the two highest points of the series. So of course I got attached to her. There's not many games I like as much as those two.
Tropical Freeze is phenomenal. For a while, I actually thought it was my favorite, but nah, I'm DKC2 for life. TF is a very worthy runner-up, though.

I'm also very excited for Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair. I can't believe the guys that made my favorite game are making a 2D platformer for the first time in decades. I must've seen the trailer about fifty times by now.

ze9

Smash Ace
We live in a world where Nintendo's official theme park heavily features the DKC series, even referencing Tropical Freeze, and yet Dixie is not playable in Smash :|

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
We live in a world where Nintendo's official theme park heavily features the DKC series, even referencing Tropical Freeze, and yet Dixie is not playable in Smash :|
I'm more bothered by the fact that we don't get much DK games lately, when the only dedicated developer that has makes games at the speed of Valve lately.

I can wait for Dixie, it's a case of "when" rather than "if". Sure, she may not face all old veterans, but she'd get to see a lot of brand-new faces in the next game! Gotta look on the bright side of the situation.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
And Ultimate will always feel incomplete because of it. A 99 out of 100 on a test.
Of course there are other characters I would like to see, but they would be extra credit. Dixie is the last missing point on the regular exam.

Last edited:

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
I don't know when the theme park will be built. But depending on the timing, we might be able to buy Dixie Kong beret hats with ponytails attached and we can use them for Dixie Kong propaganda.

I will also need a Dixie Kong beret hat with a Ponytail attached after cutting my hair with Klaptrap scissors.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Hey guys! Give Dixie your support on Slackerz Gaming!

All you have to do is comment "I vote Dixie Kong" (or something along those lines).

Someone in the comments is creating sockpuppet accounts voting for Plusle and Minun so we need to counter!
The results come out next week so there isn't much time!

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I played them in this order: 1, 3, 2. I got DKC1 for... I'm gonna say Christmas (though it could've been my birthday since they're pretty close together) in 1995. Then I saved up my allowance and bought DKC3 the following year.

It's pretty funny... without DKC2 to bridge them, DKC1 and DKC3 feel like they're from two completely different series. DKC1 is crazy streamlined compared to its sequels (I'd say it's even simpler than Super Mario World) and DKC3 has, like, NPCs and trade quests and secrets on the map screen, and almost every level has a totally unique gimmick.

I didn't play DKC2 until Christmas at my cousin's house in 1998. It immediately became my favorite game of all time. It's probably the first video game that ever made me think of games as art that could make you feel things instead of just fun toys.
Yea, DKC3 is my least favorite but I gotta give it credit for all the content it has. For sure the main team moved on to DK64 and other projects, but DKC3 had a lot going for it, especially as a DKC. What gets me though is that while I loved DKC1 for a long time, literally all its sequels and even Jungle Beat added so much to the formula that I kinda would only play it for its music. I hear it's good for speedruns but there's not really any replayability, plus the level design's pretty basic. Don't get me wrong, it should be ideal to have sequels so good that it makes the original look bad in comparison, and that's definitely the case with DKC games.

Hey guys! Give Dixie your support on Slackerz Gaming!

All you have to do is comment "I vote Dixie Kong" (or something along those lines).

Someone in the comments is creating sockpuppet accounts voting for Plusle and Minun so we need to counter!
The results come out next week so there isn't much time!
Thanks for the heads up; I went there and casted my vote, and I'll edit the thread's title for more exposure. Sabertooth Sabertooth can you bring in traffic from twitter?

Last edited by a moderator:

ze9

Smash Ace
I'm more bothered by the fact that we don't get much DK games lately, when the only dedicated developer that has makes games at the speed of Valve lately.

I can wait for Dixie, it's a case of "when" rather than "if". Sure, she may not face all old veterans, but she'd get to see a lot of brand-new faces in the next game! Gotta look on the bright side of the situation.
Yeah but I don't want to wait for 10 or whatever more years to play as her...
I agree with you on the first part, though. Where's my DKCR3?

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord

I haven't used this image in a long time. But here we go again, here's to you Dixie fans the world over. Thank you!

ze9

Smash Ace
Thabks to the last RTC Dixie is "officially" this board's most wanted character now, right? Or at the very least in the top 5.
It doesn't compare to having her in the game, but it's not a bad place to be.

StormC

Smash Hero
Thabks to the last RTC Dixie is "officially" this board's most wanted character now, right? Or at the very least in the top 5.
It doesn't compare to having her in the game, but it's not a bad place to be.
She's #1, yeah. Geno might beat her after his current rerate though. Then again, Geno tends to be a very polarizing character and now that K. Rool is in, people are at worst indifferent to Dixie.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yeah but I don't want to wait for 10 or whatever more years to play as her...
I agree with you on the first part, though. Where's my DKCR3?
With the rate that Retro is making games now, I’m not sure if we’re ever gonna see a DKC for Switch exclusively honestly. Unless it’s made by Nintendo EAD themselves, which is highly unlikely because Jungle Beat didn’t do all too great. Or it’ll be a remake of the original DKC, I could see that happening with all the remakes Nintendo has been doing so far. I mean, Link’s Awakening and Pokémon Let’s Go are remakes of Nintendo games from the same era as Donkey Kong Country.

I would’ve thought that porting Tropical Freeze would be ideal to build a great engine from for the upcoming DKC game, but I guess not. Even many of the Snowmad enemies could be used as skins for Kremlings, as quite a few move and behave almost identical.

I do NOT GET why Nintendo is willing to neglect one of its most successful franchises like this. DKC sells more than any franchise that’s not Mario, Pokémon, Zelda or the Wii series, and could easily be on level with Zelda if Nintendo was just making the damn games we ask for... There’s no excuse they haven’t tried for a new DKCR game, a spiritual successor to DK64, their own take on cameo games as DK Jungle Climber and the like, a DK racing sort of game, even a sort of hybrid game of Jungle Beat and DKCR would’ve been great and easy to realize.

It’s just a damn shame, and I worry about her future of my favorite gaming franchise at this rate, while I really shouldn’t.

ze9

Smash Ace
Well, at least DKC still consistently sells very well and gets critically acclaimed, plus with the Smash ballot and all they saw that it's still near and dear to the hearts of the fans. The series is not going anywhere.
I don't feel worried as much as I feel thirsty. It's been too long since Tropical Freeze, and while i absolutely love it, I've also played it to death.

She's #1, yeah. Geno might beat her after his current rerate though. Then again, Geno tends to be a very polarizing character and now that K. Rool is in, people are at worst indifferent to Dixie.
Ah, that's cool. I don't think Geno is going to surpass Dixie, but even then, that would be ok. The Geno fans are good guys.
I think the stars are finally starting to align for Dixie.
-Tropical Freeze re-established her as part of DKC's main cast
-The other Rare breakout characters are all in Smash now
She may very well be on her way to become the next Ridley/K. Rool style "just add her already" character for the next Smash, her absence feels even more glaring than before.
But I want her in Ultimate :(

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well I for one am not overly-concerned with Dixie having to get in Ultimate, I can wait. I'm moreso concerned about the rest of the noteworthy playable Kongs having to wait their turn at getting support over time (although Chunky may not get that anyways), if the current pattern of mass support shifting to only one DKC character keeps up.

There should be consolidated effort, not having the fandom divided into a Dixie faction, Funky faction, Lanky faction and so forth. It's so inefficient.

I do NOT GET why Nintendo is willing to neglect one of its most successful franchises like this. DKC sells more than any franchise that’s not Mario, Pokémon, Zelda or the Wii series, and could easily be on level with Zelda if Nintendo was just making the damn games we ask for... There’s no excuse they haven’t tried for a new DKCR game, a spiritual successor to DK64, their own take on cameo games as DK Jungle Climber and the like, a DK racing sort of game, even a sort of hybrid game of Jungle Beat and DKCR would’ve been great and easy to realize.

It’s just a damn shame, and I worry about her future of my favorite gaming franchise at this rate, while I really shouldn’t.
Things is, individual Nintendo creators or divisions hesitate at wanting to use characters belonging to other people (that aren't the title characters) that they didn't make themselves, probably because of not wanting to mess with them (although not without reason, given what Paon and Namco did for their games). There's a reason why Pauline was relegated to Mario Vs. DK spin-offs until Nintendo Software Technology worked on Captain Toad ports, and the main division had no other choice but to bring her into mainline Mario.

On the bright side, K.Rool's inclusion did at least seem to open their eyes in regards to the importance of these DKC characters. With any luck, things might change in the future...

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Finally finished the drawing:
NGL, it looks better in person. Sabertooth Sabertooth would you be so kind as to post this on Twitter and tag me, OR reblog this tweet: https://twitter.com/AndrewJCay1/status/1148591477360123904 ?

Whichever works for you, thanks.

EDIT: The preview image looks really scratchy for some reason. IDK why, so just click the image itself I guess to see a smoother version.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Well I for one am not overly-concerned with Dixie having to get in Ultimate, I can wait. I'm moreso concerned about the rest of the noteworthy playable Kongs having to wait their turn at getting support over time (although Chunky may not get that anyways), if the current pattern of mass support shifting to only one DKC character keeps up.
Meh, don't really care about the other Kongs after Dixie. I think DK should have 4 characters because Dixie should be in a tier above the rest. Maybe we could get a fifth one in Smash 7 or 8.
I care way more about getting Dixie in a game with Banjo and you know, every single veteran in the series history, some of which are almost guaranteed to get cut next time.

I feel like having another Kong alongside Dixie would probably hog attention away from her as well. If K. Rool was able to have the honor as the singular DK newcomer of Ultimate’s base roster, then Dixie deserves that as well, whether as part of DLC or something else.

Is there a list of this somewhere? Not doubting you, just want confirmation.

Last edited:

ze9

Smash Ace
As much as I like them, I don't really care about getting the other Kongs in Smash. After all, this is a crossover: once we have our core cast in (Donkey, Diddy, Dixie and K. Rool) I think we're fine and we can let other series get the spotlight.
Now don't get me wrong, I'd like Cranky a lot too... but he doesn't really feel as necessary nor as obvious as Dixie does. He's more like Bowser Jr., while Dixie is more like Luigi or Peach.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
As much as I like them, I don't really care about getting the other Kongs in Smash. After all, this is a crossover: once we have our core cast in (Donkey, Diddy, Dixie and K. Rool) I think we're fine and we can let other series get the spotlight.
Now don't get me wrong, I'd like Cranky a lot too... but he doesn't really feel as necessary nor as obvious as Dixie does. He's more like Bowser Jr., while Dixie is more like Luigi or Peach.
I would want for them to get in near-effortlessly, at least. :ultrosalina::ultbowserjr::ultpiranha:

Though on the bright side, we're steadily running out of obvious first-party characters for them to consider, especially if not much new (if any) Nintendo IPs come up by 10 years.

Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Though on the bright side, we're steadily running out of obvious first-party characters for them to consider, especially if not much new (if any) Nintendo IPs come up by 10 years.
Yeah at this point when the next proper Smash game comes out, I fully expect the Smash 4 approach to Nintendo newcomers, with most of them being characters that were introduced very recently, and only 2 or 3 "legacy" newcomers like how Villager, Little Mac, and Bowser Jr. were.

Hopefully Dixie would be one of those, but in the meantime, when we get rumblings of an announcement of the next game (we're all understandably hesitant to do it now because of Sakurai politely asking for the requests to stop now that the DLC has been decided), we need to do the K. Rool thing and just make our voices heard as loudly and consistently (and respectfully!) as possible. Dixie really should have been included 2 games ago.

StormC

Smash Hero
Dixie, Cranky, and maybe Funky as an echo. None of the other Kongs really warrant playability. Even as a DK fan I don't want them and they will probably never see the light of day again in their own series, let alone as a Smash fighter.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yeah at this point when the next proper Smash game comes out, I fully expect the Smash 4 approach to Nintendo newcomers, with most of them being characters that were introduced very recently, and only 2 or 3 "legacy" newcomers like how Villager, Little Mac, and Bowser Jr. were.

Hopefully Dixie would be one of those, but in the meantime, when we get rumblings of an announcement of the next game (we're all understandably hesitant to do it now because of Sakurai politely asking for the requests to stop now that the DLC has been decided), we need to do the K. Rool thing and just make our voices heard as loudly and consistently (and respectfully!) as possible. Dixie really should have been included 2 games ago.
That's the spirit, good samaritan! The Mii Hat is the first step, so it's important that her name should be thrown out there.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
I can't imagine the world where Smash has four DK reps and none of them are Dixie Kong.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Lanky Kong would set the Nintendo world on fire. That is an objective fact. And I will cut your hair with Klaptrap scissors if you dispute it. But I will also give you a Dixie beret with a ponytail attached because I'm not that mean.

StormC

Smash Hero
Lanky Kong would set the Nintendo world on fire. That is an objective fact. And I will cut your hair with Klaptrap scissors if you dispute it. But I will also give you a Dixie beret with a ponytail attached because I'm not that mean.
I don't dispute it, but that still doesn't make him a logical character choice.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Lanky Kong is still widely recognized among Nintendo fans and well liked. And that is true despite only appearing in 1 major game in the last 20 years. And to be fair, he was playable in that game. He has interesting moves and personality. I think that makes him logical enough.

Not all characters people like or that would make an impact are actively requested. And Lanky Kong, along with many Zelda characters, fall into this category of characters that would still make a big splash. I think Smash can make room for Nintendo characters like Lanky that have left a mark on the fanbase and franchise.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I dispute it, and joke's on you: I already got a low haircut!

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
So many Lanky doubters. One day it won't be such a stretch, I promise you. Or it will be a stretch.

And I think I was scammed with those Klaptrap scissors I hypothetically purchased. Can't even win 1 internet argument with them.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
While I dont like to qualify myself as a "fanboy" usually as they can be obnoxious. I must admit the only thing that someone could call me a fanboy of is the DK franchise.

That being said anymore DK characters in Smash past Dixie and MAYBE Cranky is pushing it even for me. I love Lanky, Chunky, and Funky. I like Wrinkly and Tiny. Kiddy, Jr., Swanky exist...but I could deal without them in Smash as playable characters. Assist trophies sure why not?

Dixie IMO is a Nintendo All-Star. The rest of the Kongs arent on that level yet IMO. They could've been by now if Nintendo hadn't destroyed the DK brand/Identity over the years after Rare was bought out or at least used more characters than just DK and Diddy in their recent spin-off games.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
True, Dixie is a Nintendo all-star. And Lanky isn't and Dixie deserves to be in before Lanky. But I think at this point, it helps to keep an open mind in terms of what characters might get into Smash Bros. There are many characters already on the roster that aren't Nintendo all-stars either. Or all-stars of any sort.

U're right about Nintendo's direction for the DK franchise hurting a lot of the characters, including Dixie. Thankfully, I think she's been able to hold on to that title. It helps to actually show up again. But what is so good about Lanky is that he has perserved in the Nintendo fan consciousness despite it all. There is something about Lanky that is really powerful, like a TNT barrel waiting to be lit. HE connects with people from the dead. Imagine what HE could do if Nintendo breathed life into him again. (inhales)

I think it's also interesting to note that there might be a divergence between the hardcore Dk community and the more casual DK fans. I've certainly felt it when it comes to Funky. I think Funky is cool but I don't really care to see him added to Smash. I think generally speaking, big DK fans think similarly. But I know he has a ton of appeal for more casual DK fans. I think Lanky Kong is similar and he would give many characters a run for their money if some love was thrown his way.

Light the fuse, Nintendo. Let's explode this world with Lanky Kong.

StormC

Smash Hero
Welp, Dr. Mario World has been datamined, and Diddy Kong has been revealed alongside the standard Mario cast.
And just like Mario Tennis Aces, Diddy is the only Kong aside from DK to appear.

Why won't Nintendo put Dixie in any of the Mario spinoffs? She was in Mario Hoops and both Baseball games so it was certainly possible in the past.
:crying::crying::crying::crying:
Nintendo generally views Diddy as "part of the Nintendo family," Dixie not so much.

Outside of Tropical Freeze Dixie hasn't appeared in over a decade - Super Mario Sluggers, the same time as K. Rool. I assume this can be attributed to Nintendo slimming down the roster of the DKC series and deciding that DK and Diddy are the only "necessary" ones. This is why I'm currently unsure of her future, to be frank.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Nintendo generally views Diddy as "part of the Nintendo family," Dixie not so much.

Outside of Tropical Freeze Dixie hasn't appeared in over a decade - Super Mario Sluggers, the same time as K. Rool. I assume this can be attributed to Nintendo slimming down the roster of the DKC series and deciding that DK and Diddy are the only "necessary" ones. This is why I'm currently unsure of her future, to be frank.
Yeah, and I imagine it took a lot of time for Ninty to warm up to Diddy, too. Yet the Mario Kart staff didn't even bother to bring him back after MK Wii, smh.

As such, she needs a huge push like the Kremling king.

Ed-boy

Smash Journeyman
User was warned for this post; media-only post
True, Dixie is a Nintendo all-star. And Lanky isn't and Dixie deserves to be in before Lanky. But I think at this point, it helps to keep an open mind in terms of what characters might get into Smash Bros. There are many characters already on the roster that aren't Nintendo all-stars either. Or all-stars of any sort.

U're right about Nintendo's direction for the DK franchise hurting a lot of the characters, including Dixie. Thankfully, I think she's been able to hold on to that title. It helps to actually show up again. But what is so good about Lanky is that he has perserved in the Nintendo fan consciousness despite it all. There is something about Lanky that is really powerful, like a TNT barrel waiting to be lit. HE connects with people from the dead. Imagine what HE could do if Nintendo breathed life into him again. (inhales)

I think it's also interesting to note that there might be a divergence between the hardcore Dk community and the more casual DK fans. I've certainly felt it when it comes to Funky. I think Funky is cool but I don't really care to see him added to Smash. I think generally speaking, big DK fans think similarly. But I know he has a ton of appeal for more casual DK fans. I think Lanky Kong is similar and he would give many characters a run for their money if some love was thrown his way.

Light the fuse, Nintendo. Let's explode this world with Lanky Kong.

:sadeyes: Spoken like a true kong-quistador. He would be proud!

Last edited:

SirCamp

Smash Ace
So, not to harp on a topic that no one else is really talking about but, to what extent are you guys familiar with/aware of the Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons series of games? I ask because I've been thinking about the series as it relates to Smash recently and I've realized that I actually have no idea how the general gaming public perceives the games at all. I've been playing them since I was a kid so basically I've always known of and enjoyed them and consequently all of my friends are at least familiar with them. Are most people familiar with the series or no? I know it's fairly niche in terms of player base, but I guess I'm wondering more about esteem.

All of this because i have a bit of a conspiracy theory brewing in my head about Story of Seasons content in Smash. But of course I'm biased lol

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
So, not to harp on a topic that no one else is really talking about but, to what extent are you guys familiar with/aware of the Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons series of games? I ask because I've been thinking about the series as it relates to Smash recently and I've realized that I actually have no idea how the general gaming public perceives the games at all. I've been playing them since I was a kid so basically I've always known of and enjoyed them and consequently all of my friends are at least familiar with them. Are most people familiar with the series or no? I know it's fairly niche in terms of player base, but I guess I'm wondering more about esteem.

All of this because i have a bit of a conspiracy theory brewing in my head about Story of Seasons content in Smash. But of course I'm biased lol
I've never played a Harvest Moon game, but I can say with confidence they're pretty well known games. Maybe less the name, but it's a very recognizable series, where you can probably show people a screenshot and they'll know what game that is.

Top Bottom