• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
funky has a lot of genuine fans i think, but the memers are a lot more vocal. i dont think thats a bad thing necessarily; at the end of the day, its still a lot of funky support.

but as someone who unironically liked waluigi years and years before he became a meme mascot..... i can definitely understand why thats annoying.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Funky is a harmless want because he's an extremely easy DK Echo Fighter. None of his moveset has to change, except up special to include the surfboard and even that can be cosmetic. Just slap some new taunts / victory poses and a new idle animation and we're good.

Dixie, on the other hand, wouldn't be Richter / Daisy level effort but more on the level of Chrom / Ken / Isabelle.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
I feel one weird thing about a Funky echo is that DK is too big in Smash. I think Funky would look strange as big as DK, who is actually bigger than K. Rool. I think DK's attacks are also a little too brutal for Funky.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I feel one weird thing about a Funky echo is that DK is too big in Smash. I think Funky would look strange as big as DK, who is actually bigger than K. Rool. I think DK's attacks are also a little too brutal for Funky.
Maybe, though like with Lucina he can be made slightly shorter if that's really an issue.
Also Funky's sunglasses mean the attacks instantly go from "brutal" to "stylish".

NapoleonDos

Smash Cadet
Maybe, though like with Lucina he can be made slightly shorter if that's really an issue.
Also Funky's sunglasses mean the attacks instantly go from "brutal" to "stylish".
I think if they are going to resize the character echo, it definitely makes sense to just be DK jr.

Junior can be smaller, faster, less strong, like a usual smaller character.

StupendousMike

Smash Ace
Dixie and Toad are the last two Nintendo characters I genuinely feel are "missing" from Smash. It doesn't seem like the Fighters' Pass will be kind to either of them, but maybe if there is a Season 2 we will get more specifically Nintendo characters. Like, that's where I imagine a new FE or Pokemon character could show up for promotional purposes, but also where they have the opportunity to fill in the last few gaps in the roster.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
What exactly about Tiny is such a rip off of Dixie? Being the token girl? Believe it or not we can have more than one playable female character in this series you know (as Diddy Kong Racing DS and Mario Super Sluggers generously showed us).
She's a little monkey girl that spins her blonde hair around to float. I think that's more than enough to call her a knockoff. Literally the only reason she isn't Dixie is that Rare initially only wanted characters from the original DKC in DK64. (Chunky replaced Kiddy for the exact same reason, but nobody calls him a knockoff because he's so different.)

And man, I just don't see what's so awful about Kiddy. He's not as endearing as DK, Diddy, or Dixie but the internet's hate for him is completely overblown. The worst you can say about him is that he makes an annoying noise when he dies, but that just means you need to play better. (Ditto Baby Mario in Yoshi's Island, by the by.)

There are some things I like about Kiddy. Like the way he faces the camera and wiggles his eyebrows when he grabs a Bonus Coin.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
As someone who only played Donkey Kong Country won as a child, and fell out of the series until they came to Wii virtual console, I don't really understand the kiddie hate either. The sound he makes when he dies actually sounds funny to me. He's just a big dumb goofy baby. I thought the Donkey Kong series appeal was funny animals, I didn't think the series was being sold for its cool Factor. Rareware was always really good about having humorous characters.

I never even thought of the idea of kitty Kong being in Dixie's moveset, but now I actually want that. I'm not a fan of the partners idea though. I was not a fan of it when I heard people suggest a Diddy + Dixie team way back in the brawl days. But then, I've never been a fan of Team characters either unless that's part of their identity, like Banjo and Kazooie. I still think it's kind of odd that the Ice Climbers are a Duo, knowing that the source material doesn't even have Nana in it if you're not playing multiplayer.

Kitty most definitely does not have what it takes to be his own smash character, but he is a big part of Dixie Kong, being her most useful Ally on her first solo outing. I don't see the harm in including him in a moveset. Seems more like fanservice then disservice to me.

Last edited:

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
actually you know what, the thought of kiddykongscream.wav as a star ko voice clip is starting to make me reconsider

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
I hope you guys have heard the version from the GBA remake. That one's even more over-the-top.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
we're really harping on piranha plant huh

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Is Dixie in Smash yet?
Man I've been asking that question since Brawl....and I'll probably still be asking that question when Im 42 when Smash 7 releases. Since DK is only allowed getting 1 newcomer every other Smash game. Where as Mario, Pokemon, Zelda, Kirby, Fire Emblem, Metroid and even Kid Icarus have gotten more than 1 newcomer in past Smash games...

Last edited:

ze9

Smash Ace
In my opinion Kiddy should only appear for, like, one special move.
I want Dixie to be on her own, but it would still be cool to represent the partner mechanic somehow. Also, contrary to Donkey, Diddy and Dixie, Kiddy could never be included on his own, so he's a perfect fit for it.

Like Dixie takes out a tag barrel, and Kiddy blasts out of it. Then he follows you around for a while and the next time you use the move you can choose which of the two launches the other. Dixie launching Kiddy would be very powerful, but slow and with not much range, and Kiddy launching Dixie would have you leap really far and have super-armor, so you can close gaps against camping opponents or even recover better. Then Kiddy gets back in the barrel.
Something like this.

Last edited:

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
I've already said that I don't want to incorporate Kiddy so that Dixie can stand entirely on her own, but if I had to include him somehow, I'd make him her side-B. Specifically, that thing they do where Dixie runs on top of a rolling Kiddy, like a log or a barrel. That move was pretty much useless in DKC3 so they might as well make use of it here.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Edit: I think that you lot will like to read this.

funky has a lot of genuine fans i think, but the memers are a lot more vocal. i dont think thats a bad thing necessarily; at the end of the day, its still a lot of funky support.

but as someone who unironically liked waluigi years and years before he became a meme mascot..... i can definitely understand why thats annoying.
At least the meme is more funnier than anything. Also, best that we don't have a few people from there harassing Sakurai like certain Waluigi fans did.

In any case, meme power is a great power that comes with great responsibility. Lucky are the few who have it, like Funky and Lanky.

In my opinion Kiddy should only appear for, like, one special move.
I want Dixie to be on her own, but it would still be cool to represent the partner mechanic somehow. Also, contrary to Donkey, Diddy and Dixie, Kiddy could never be included on his own, so he's a perfect fit for it.

Like Dixie takes out a tag barrel, and Kiddy blasts out of it. Then he follows you around for a while and the next time you use the move you can choose which of the two launches the other. Dixie launching Kiddy would be very powerful, but slow and with not much range, and Kiddy launching Dixie would have you leap really far and have super-armor, so you can close gaps against camping opponents or even recover better. Then Kiddy gets back in the barrel.
Something like this.
Well, at least people would have less issues about him being summonable than being a tether ball this way.

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Finished a drawing!

Hope y'all like it. Feel free to use it for whatever, particularly as an emblem. BTW Sabertooth Sabertooth can you tag me as AndrewJCay1 if you post this on Twitter? Much appreciated.

The other drawing from a few weeks back is...still in development lol. It's coming along REALLY nicely though.

SeashoreWar

Smash Journeyman
To continue with the art, here's the final animal buddy set for Mario Kart! Orca and Helibird make their way out of Jungle Beat.

I'm gonna go back and make some changes to the karts and compile all of them in one image.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
To continue with the art, here's the final animal buddy set for Mario Kart! Orca and Helibird make their way out of Jungle Beat.

I'm gonna go back and make some changes to the karts and compile all of them in one image.
Been probably said a million times over at this rate, but I really wish there was more Mario Kart DLC for Deluxe.
A DKC pack with Diddy, Dixie, Funky, K. Rool, Cranky, and Tiny would be great.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
It's always good to see Orco. She's actually one of my favorite animal buddies. Wouldn't mind seeing her again in a future game (after Enguarde, of course).

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Another outstanding piece, SeashoreWar SeashoreWar ! I especially like Orco's cart.

I saw some feedback on my emblem about Dixie's face, so I made a change to her eyes:
Dixie Kong Emblem Alternate.png
It's always good to see Orco. She's actually one of my favorite animal buddies. Wouldn't mind seeing her again in a future game (after Enguarde, of course).
Yea, I honestly liked her a lot too.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Been probably said a million times over at this rate, but I really wish there was more Mario Kart DLC for Deluxe.
A DKC pack with Diddy, Dixie, Funky, K. Rool, Cranky, and Tiny would be great.
Agreed. At this stage, it almost feels like CTR: NF is unintentionally rubbing the fact that they have no problem adding new stuff in Nintendo's faces.

I mean, Beenox seems poised to bring in everyone from Crash over time, even characters people don't care that much about. And an entire Spyro-themed pack for good measure. And there's a datamine that showed that more stuff's coming for October.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Agreed. At this stage, it almost feels like CTR: NF is unintentionally rubbing the fact that they have no problem adding new stuff in Nintendo's faces.

I mean, Beenox seems poised to bring in everyone from Crash over time, even characters people don't care that much about. And an entire Spyro-themed pack for good measure. And there's a datamine that showed that more stuff's coming for October.
Especially since it's a port that they sold at FULL PRICE and still sold MORE than the original (almost certainly due to the Switch's massive install base compared to the Wii U).

Minimum development investment + Massive Install Base = No Brainer DLC

Last edited:

Ed-boy

Smash Journeyman
Nintendo really is sitting on a potential goldmine with MK8DX.
It's not even just DK characters/karts/tracks, there's tons of material to work with. Even ignoring the surplus of overlooked Mario characters (Pauline, Cappy, Nabbit, Birdo, Petey Pirahna, E. Gadd, Kamek, Pom-Pom, Sprixies, etc.) they could pump out an F-Zero pack, a Zelda BotW pack, a "long lost racers" pack that brings back R.O.B & the Pac-Man characters, or lord forbid, whole new modes like a Double-Dash mode (with :ulticeclimbers: pretty please?) or an adventure mode.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Nintendo really is sitting on a potential goldmine with MK8DX.
It's not even just DK characters/karts/tracks, there's tons of material to work with. Even ignoring the surplus of Mario characters (Pauline, Cappy, Nabbit, Birdo, Petey Pirahna, E. Gadd, Kamek, etc.) they could pump out an F-Zero pack, a Zelda BotW pack, a "lost racers" pack that brings back R.O.B & the Pac-Man characters, or lord forbid, whole new modes like a Double-Dash mode or an adventure mode.
I think they're probably saving all that for Mario Kart 9.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Honestly, you'd think EAD/EPD would reference Jungle Beat more considering it's their creation.

Last edited:

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
Jungle Beat had great gameplay and good animal buddies but I cannot stand the enemy designs. They are flat-out fugly. Some of them are okay, like Karate Kong and Ninja Kong, but the Ghastly King and most of the standard enemies almost hurt to look at.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
i like the flying pigs from donkey kong land

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
It's funny how the Donkey Kong series fluctuates constantly between down-to-earth settings and situations with some cartoony highlights (Donkey Kong Country) and totally crazy fantasy (Diddy Kong Racing, Jungle Beat). Donkey Kong Land is kind of in the middle with stuff like Hogwash and Chimpanzee Clouds.

Top Bottom