• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
So regarding your most wanted characters, who did you get over the years and who are you still waiting for?
Sonic and Mega Man because I'm a normie, also the return of Wolf which we got in Ultimate.

Still just waiting on Dixie Kong.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
King K.Rool was my most wanted since Melee. Krystal, Dixie, and Ridley I started wanting before Smash 4 was released. I also really wanted Little Mac pre-Smash 4 as well. Then of course Wolf returning after being cut in Smash 4.

Well I got Little Mac, K.Rool, and Ridley. Too bad they all are pretty terrible competitively. Lucky me huh? Lol

Of course their were other characters I was glad to see make it post Melee like Wario, Bowser Jr., Diddy Kong, Villager, Isabelle, Rosalina, Dark Samus, and Inklings but none of them met the topper echelon of hype for me (though they were close).

Right now my sole focus is on Dixie. It would be Krystal too if she hadnt become an assist trophy. Dixie is the only other character that could get me truly hyped. Though nothing/no one will ever top K.Rool for me. Tears ran down my eyes and I jumped around screaming of joy as a grown ass man during work. Nothing will ever top that and August 8th will forever be a holiday to me.

Of course their are still characters I would love to see join besides Dixie someday whether that be Ultimate or a future Smash title like Bandana Dee, Captain Toad/Toadette, Porky Minch, Pig Ganon, Sylux, Medusa (could've worked as a Palutena echo), Captain Syrup, Waluigi, Krystal, Impa, Paper Mario, Cranky Kong, DJ Octavio, ARMS character preferably Dr. Coyle or Twintelle, Claude or Edelgard, Tingle, Chibi-Robo, Louie (Olimar echo).

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
So regarding your most wanted characters, who did you get over the years and who are you still waiting for?

Me well, I got Mewtwo back in Melee, Meta Knight and Dedede back in Brawl, got back Mewtwo in Smash 4, got K. Rool, Ridley, and Banjo & Kazooie in Ultimate. Almost 18 years I waited for the last 3 and it was such a emotional moment for me when each of them got in.

I'm still waiting for Goemon, Krystal, Dixie Kong, Porky, and Pig Ganon and I know all these characters will never all be together in Smash like I dream. So I'll probably stick around the speculation scene until at least two more of them get in and than I'll retire from Smash speculation forever as more than half of my dream would be good enough.
My most wanted characters that got into Smash 4 were :ultvillager::ultvillagerf: (an Animal Crossing rep in general), :ultmegaman:, :ultpacman:, and :ultshulk:, with :ultgreninja:, :ultrobin:, and :ultlucina: being pleasant surprises since Froakie was my starter in X and Y that I just finished fully evolving at the time of its reveal, and I was in the middle of playing Awakening when Robin and Lucina were revealed (I had just finished S-supporting them). I wanted :ultmewtwo: and :ultlucas: back and I got them for DLC, with :ultryu: also being a pleasant surprise.
For Ultimate my most wanted that got in was the :ultinkling: :ultinklingboy:and :ultbanjokazooie:, with my most wanted veteran being :ultpokemontrainer::ultpokemontrainerf:. Characters that I wanted that got deconfirmed were Isaac, Spring Man, Lyn, and Krystal. (With Rex and Ribbon Girl also likely deconfirmed). Characters that I'm still waiting on are Dixie Kong, Impa, Chun-Li, Sora, Phoenix Wright, Lloyd Irving, Elma, a Rhythm Heaven Rep, and an Advanced Wars Rep.

Last edited:

ze9

Smash Ace
The most wanted I got over the years:
Melee - :ultmewtwo: (I was a kid, and I didn't really have much investment in who got in or not, but Mewtwo, Diddy and Banjo were my dream characters)
Brawl - :ultdiddy::ultsonic::ultwario::ultolimar::ultike:
Smash 4 - :ultpacman:
Ultimate - :ultridley::ultkrool::ultbanjokazooie::ultdarksamus:

The ones I'm still missing:
Dixie
Bomberman
Skull Kid (with the Majora's Mask)
Cap. Toad
Porky
Doomguy

...Looking back, I guess I have pretty standard tastes.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
The most wanted I got over the years:
Melee - :ultmewtwo: (I was a kid, and I didn't really have much investment in who got in or not, but Mewtwo, Diddy and Banjo were my dream characters)
Brawl - :ultdiddy::ultsonic::ultwario::ultolimar::ultike:
Smash 4 - :ultpacman:
Ultimate - :ultridley::ultkrool::ultbanjokazooie::ultdarksamus:

The ones I'm still missing:
Dixie
Bomberman
Skull Kid (with the Majora's Mask)
Cap. Toad
Porky
Doomguy

...Looking back, I guess I have pretty standard tastes.
I remember wanting Mewtwo in Melee before unlocking him. One night me and my sisters were playing a bunch of matches together and my sister decided to call it quits and I beg her to play one more match with me and she did. After our last match ended we were greeted with Mewtwo's silhouette in the Challenger Approaching screen and we screamed off the top of our lungs. It was a night I'll never forget.

StormC

Smash Hero
I didn't actively want characters until the Dojo days, but when I heard that Mewtwo was an unlockable in Melee, I definitely rushed to unlock him. He's probably the closest thing I had to a Melee wishlist character.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
i didnt know what any of the unlockable characters in Melee were when i first played it, so i was always surprised when the challenger approaching screen came up

i was actually super stoked that one of the first characters i unlocked was Dr. Mario, since i was a big fan of the NES game and having him be a playable character was an awesome surprise

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
i didnt know what any of the unlockable characters in Melee were when i first played it, so i was always surprised when the challenger approaching screen came up
This. This right here is why I missed the surprise of unlocking new characters seeing their silhouette in the Challenger Approaching screen without being spoiled by the Internet or Nintendo themselves. Too me this was so much more hyped than the cinematic trailer reveals we get now. I wish reveals were still this way, but there is almost no way to replicate this experience again because of the Internet.

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Another drawing from me:

I wanna make art that emphasizes her hair besides helicoptering and this is one of the many that I doodled while brainstorming. Obviously Diddy can't pull this off with his tail, let alone his arms so this is a uniquely Dixie thing. It also implies effortless strength with Rambi's weight and that cocky pose; Dixie's flexing hard.

Hope y'all appreciate it; I wanna draw Dixie digitally more often since it's MUCH easier as I don't have to scan it in, and I can let non-DK art fill up my real-life portfolio. Feedback is always welcome, as I'm not excellent at this medium and I wanna improve; those messy lines are references to those old school comic books and IMO it provides a nice level of grit. It's a little jagged in the spoiler tag, so click the link for something smoother. The next drawing I show will be SeashoreWar's storyboard. Can you put this on twitter, Sabertooth Sabertooth ?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Another drawing from me:

I wanna make art that emphasizes her hair besides helicoptering and this is one of the many that I doodled while brainstorming. Obviously Diddy can't pull this off with his tail, let alone his arms so this is a uniquely Dixie thing. It also implies effortless strength with Rambi's weight and that cocky pose; Dixie's flexing hard.

Hope y'all appreciate it; I wanna draw Dixie digitally more often since it's MUCH easier as I don't have to scan it in, and I can let non-DK art fill up my real-life portfolio. Feedback is always welcome, as I'm not excellent at this medium and I wanna improve; those messy lines are references to those old school comic books and IMO it provides a nice level of grit. It's a little jagged in the spoiler tag, so click the link for something smoother. The next drawing I show will be SeashoreWar's storyboard. Can you put this on twitter, Sabertooth Sabertooth ?
I'm a big fan of the style, you really nailed it.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Wow! That's really good. I like the comic book style it has. Dixie's expression and pose has a lot of personality. I think I would make Dixie shorter just a bit though, she looks too tall IMO. Shorter Dixie would make her hair-raising feat stand out more, too, with the contrast of big Rambi behind/above her.

Last edited:

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Man when the heck is that next Nintendo Direct? I need a new DK game like yesterday...I love Tropical Freeze as much as the next guy (it is my favorite DK game) but their is only so many times I can replay this game...

StormC

Smash Hero
Man when the heck is that next Nintendo Direct? I need a new DK game like yesterday...I love Tropical Freeze as much as the next guy (it is my favorite DK game) but their is only so many times I can replay this game...
My guess is October.

While Nintendo has had a September Direct in the last few years, September this year is absolutely stacked. It would send a mixed message to advertise future games while all of the key releases in September are going on. Meanwhile October is empty besides Luigi's Mansion 3 on Halloween. So the first week or so of October would probably be their goal.

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Marsen just uploaded his Dixie Kong movest idea video. Many of you probably dont know of Marsen. He isnt a big youtuber by any means but he is a HUGE DKC fan. He usually streams Ultimate (he mains K.Rool) among other Nintendo/DK content.

Thought it would be a fun video to post.

StormC

Smash Hero
I did think the DKC3 title theme would work (although it's kinda already in the game with the Bonus Room remix), but I'm partial to this:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I did think the DKC3 title theme would work (although it's kinda already in the game with the Bonus Room remix), but I'm partial to this:

JCwlck3Xpms
I think that would only work well if Windmill Hills is her stage. But otherwise, I would love it.

Last edited:

ze9

Smash Ace
My dream before Ultimate was Grassland Groove as a stage + playable Dixie, with Grassland Groove blasting from the speakers during her trailer.
My dream is staying the same.

Really, not having the most moving location in the last 10 years of videogames is almost as shameful as not having Dixie. Tropical Freeze was so good.

Last edited:

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
I kinda want Lockjaw's Saga, or Homecoming Hijinx, or Seashore War to debut with Dixie. I want something epic sounding with her debut. While the upbeat/happy music does fit more in line with her character, the reveal trailer I had in mind had a more epic feel to it.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
It's gonna be Bayou Boogie and then Phil Collins will be the first person to successfully sue Nintendo for music copyright ;p

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
i associate both Jib Jig and Windmill Hills with Dixie, but I could also envision what a Smash-style remix of Stilt Village could sound like.

SeashoreWar

Smash Journeyman
An uptempo remix of Seashore War, for obvious reasons ;)

Throw in a remix of Grassland Groove for good measure.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
So much good music in DKCTF.

But mangroves is what gets Sakurai's golden kiss.

Mangroves is what they use to advertise the game.

Mangroves, mangroves, mangroves.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
So much good music in DKCTF.

But mangroves is what gets Sakurai's golden kiss.

Mangroves is what they use to advertise the game.

Mangroves, mangroves, mangroves.
Mangrove Cove grew on me but it pales HARD in comparison to the rest of the game's soundtrack, it's very clear it was only chosen because "first level therefore more people know the music" and not really any other reason, alongside Swinger Flinger because it was yet another remix of DK Island Swing (albeit, it's my favorite remix of that song, so I'm glad they put it in regardless).

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
This thread has been pretty quiet lately. Since we're talking about DK music how about we get everyones top 10 DKC music tracks? I'll start.

1. Tropical Freeze Staff Roll
2. Crocodile Cacophony
3. Forest Interlude
4. Automatic Action
5. High Tide Ride
6. Lockjaws Saga
7. Aquatic Ambience
8. Grassland Groove
9. Mining Melancholy
10. Snakey Chantey

Runner-ups: Frantic Factory, Hideout Helm, Dixie Beat, Big Boss Blues, Busted Bayou, Feather Fiend, Mast Blast, Seashore War, Mountain Mania, Gangplank Galleon, Stickerbrush Symphony, Life in the Mines, Boss Hog theme, Angry Aztec, Mammoth Glacier, Boss Boogie, Monkey Smash, Precarious Path (best Mine Cart Madness), Horn Top Hop, Homecoming Hijinx, Battle for Storm Hill, Sweet Paradise, In a Snowbound Land, Scorch N'Torch, Flight of the Zinger, Disco Train, Army Dillo theme, Ancient Lake, Mangrove Cove (underwater), Frosty Village, King Kut Out battle, DK Isle Theme, Palmtree Groove, Creepy Castle.

So many great music tracks...I could've kept that list going...so much missed Smash potential..

Nartic

Smash Cadet
This thread has been pretty quiet lately. Since we're talking about DK music how about we get everyones top 10 DKC music tracks? I'll start.

1. Tropical Freeze Staff Roll
2. Crocodile Cacophony
3. Forest Interlude
4. Automatic Action
5. High Tide Ride
6. Lockjaws Saga
7. Aquatic Ambience
8. Grassland Groove
9. Mining Melancholy
10. Snakey Chantey

Runner-ups: Frantic Factory, Hideout Helm, Dixie Beat, Big Boss Blues, Busted Bayou, Feather Fiend, Mast Blast, Seashore War, Mountain Mania, Gangplank Galleon, Stickerbrush Symphony, Life in the Mines, Boss Hog theme, Angry Aztec, Mammoth Glacier, Boss Boogie, Monkey Smash, Precarious Path (best Mine Cart Madness), Horn Top Hop, Homecoming Hijinx, Battle for Storm Hill, Sweet Paradise, In a Snowbound Land, Scorch N'Torch, Flight of the Zinger, Disco Train, Army Dillo theme, Ancient Lake, Mangrove Cove (underwater), Frosty Village, King Kut Out battle, DK Isle Theme, Palmtree Groove, Creepy Castle.

So many great music tracks...I could've kept that list going...so much missed Smash potential..
1. Forest Interlude
2. Gangplank Galleon
3. Stickerbrush Symphony
4. Aquatic Ambience
5. Snakey Chantey
6. Crocodile Cacophony
7. Seashore War
8. Lockjaws Saga
9. Mining Melancholy
10. Dixie Beat

Personally, I think Forest Interlude is David Wise's best work.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
10. DKC2 - Hot-Head Bop
I really dig these kinds of songs in the DKC series, that start off with some ambient noise and a simple musical element (in this case, the bass), and then the song builds itself as it goes along. The melody here with the piano has that classic DKC feel, and the section with the harpsichords towards the end of the loop is just so excellent. All the while, the lava boils along. It's really good.

9. DKC:TF - Windmill Hills
Something I love about this song is that it really doesn't sound like anything that's been in a Donkey Kong Country game before, yet somehow fits perfectly. If there's a word I can use to describe David Wise's melodies, it's "nostalgic". Not in the sense that I heard these songs as a child, but rather that his songs make me feel like a kid again, even the brand new ones. The melody here is happy, but melancholy too. And of course the instrumentation is great as well, really fitting in with this kind of northern Europe aesthetic of the level.

8. DKC2 - Welcome to Crocodile Isle
I know this is just a short map theme but it is just so indicative of the DKC2 experience that I can't help but think highly of it. The intense adventuristic (is that a word?) tone of this song really conveys the pirate theme of the game well, in addition to the idea that, hey, your best friend was captured by the sadistic leader of an army of Kremlings and you have to invade their home turf to save him. It's an intense situation, and this song fits perfectly.

7. DKC3 SNES - Water World
Eveline Novakovic's DKC3 soundtrack brought a kind of eerie calmness to the foreign world of the Northern Kremisphere, and Water World really dials into that unsettling feeling. Water World's intro has a blend of high and low pads that give it a rich ambience, then the way that the main bulk of the song is introduced hooks you in. The arpeggiated notes, minor key melody, and chords throughout really contribute to the almost horror film-esque feel of the song, and the key change later in the song helps with that too. Really like how the loop ends with everything but the melody cutting out, only to suddenly cut right back into the song, it gives a feeling of suspense. This song really works well during stages like Floodlit Fish or Fish Food Frenzy, where the tension is already baked into the level.

6. DKC2 - Krook's March
This isn't really your typical DKC song, it's definitely got a more classically orchestral feel to it than a lot of other songs in the DKC2 soundtrack, but that just makes it stand out more. The intro with the strings and snares really sets an intense, somber mood, which is fitting for levels towards the end of the game. I've heard it compared to The Imperial March from Star Wars, and while not quite as bombastic, it definitely carries that foreboding feel with the way its rhythm works with its chords. Also the part towards the end, while the string chords keep repeating while the melody from DKC1's Mine Cart Madness plays is just SO good. Gives me goosebumps.

5. DKC1 - Aquatic Ambience
One of the original examples of just how much you could squeeze out of the SPC700 if you really tried. Aquatic Ambience is just such a relaxing ambient song, very much reminds me of spa music. I love the way the arpeggiated notes sometimes cut away, leaving you with a lingering chord and faint pitch bend, it makes the song feel "floaty" in a way. And the melody is great too, it sounds amazing with the echos, and it really conveys the kind of majestic feeling of being underwater. The only reason it's not higher is because it shows up a lot in the DKC series, often without a lot of variation, and I grew a little numb to it.

4. DKC:TF - Busted Bayou
This song is proof that David Wise never lost his touch. As great as the Tropical Freeze soundtrack is, I think the fact that it has so many songs means that sometimes they can kinda blur together. That's why the fact that Busted Bayou comes so early in the game is important, because this feels so much like the ultimate Wise track in a lot of ways. It's got a chill groove to it, and the use of the crackly woodwinds and steel drums give it that nice tropical feel. The melodies in this song are so great, I think the steel drum section and saxophone section are both amazing and carry so much emotion.

3. DKC1 - Gang-Plank Galleon
This song is the perfect embodiment of King K. Rool. For a master of deceipt like him, it's fitting that the song itself is a fake-out, starting with a fairly simple sea shanty and slowly progressing into a more hardcore rock track. The way the drums and strings come in during the shanty portion makes for such a brilliant tone, and the song's "chorus" is super catchy and a great culmination the shanty-style melody and the rock-style instrumentation.

2. DKC2 - Jib Jig
I think this is easily the most nostalgic DKC song for me. You got that nice windy ambience to set the scene, then you have a jaunty Celtic-style jig that's as fun as it is melancholy. The way the song fluctuates between energy and serenity gives it such a satisfying flow, and it really sets the mood for the adventure you're starting.

1. DKC2 - Stickerbush Symphony
I know it's a cliche but... it really is just the perfect song. It's so soothing, yet with so much interesting dynamic stuff going on. The melody is so beautiful, and when the drums kick in..... ohhh! It's a song that combines ambient synth with classical symphonic music and it absolutely nails it.

Honorable mentions: Basically the entire rest of the DKC2 soundtrack. There's some good things I left out just because I wanted to have at least a little bit of variety.

Also my opinion on this list is not concrete and is simply what I'm feeling right now. It could be completely different tomorrow.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
I told Dixie not to play Beaver Bother. "You're not even in that game..." I told her. But she didn't listen, did she? She didn't EXPLETIVE listen.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I told Dixie not to play Beaver Bother. "You're not even in that game..." I told her. But she didn't listen, did she? She didn't EXPLETIVE listen.
So that's how she missed the boat in DK64. But that doesn't explain how she comes back in Tropical Freeze. And no, the spin offs or Mario series appearances don't count as they're filler and are not canon to the mainline DKC story. :4pacman:

Last edited:
Top Bottom