• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

ze9

Smash Ace
Having missed DK64 and, by extension, Beaver Bother, canonically makes Dixie the only kong that never experienced a nervous breakdown.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Question: What would you guys like out of the next DK game? Would you prefer another Retro developed DKC? Another experimental platformer in the vein of Jungle Beat? Or a DK64 sequel/spiritual successor? Im down for any of them really.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
as long as dixie's in it, i'm good with anything

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I'd like to see a Super Mario 3D World take on the DKC games, where it's a linear platformer but you have full 360 degree movement and levels where you don't just go left and right.

It would allow all four (or more) Kongs to stand out from each other control wise and I personally think the 2D Donkey Kong platformer peaked with Tropical Freeze, so it's high time they moved onto something else.

Obviously the Kremlings return this time.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
I'd like to see a Super Mario 3D World take on the DKC games, where it's a linear platformer but you have full 360 degree movement and levels where you don't just go left and right.

It would allow all four (or more) Kongs to stand out from each other control wise and I personally think the 2D Donkey Kong platformer peaked with Tropical Freeze, so it's high time they moved onto something else.

Obviously the Kremlings return this time.
Yes Donkey Kong 3D Country would be great. DK, Diddy, Dixie, Cranky, and Lanky would be my choice for playable characters.

DK -His special powers would be destroying big tough enemies other Kongs can't, and can lift heavy barrels other kongs cant.

Diddy - Hes the fastest kong of the bunch, has a double jump via Jetpac, and of course peanut popguns for stunning enemies at a distance.

Dixie - Can fly across long gaps and is the fastest swimmer in the game.

Cranky - Can spot secret items at a distance and can pogo over spikes. Slowest character in the game.

Lanky - Basically everything he can do in DK64. Run up slopes, has a long reach so he can attack enemies at a distance. Also he can grab and toss enemies from afar.

In my mind this game would have no shops but will have their own special houses on the world map ala Mario 3D World where you can farm lives. Its run by Funky of course. You dont buy them but play short mini-games. Originally I had Swanky take this position but lets be honest Swanky is never returning.

Yes Kremlings/K.Rool are a must.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Question: What would you guys like out of the next DK game? Would you prefer another Retro developed DKC? Another experimental platformer in the vein of Jungle Beat? Or a DK64 sequel/spiritual successor? Im down for any of them really.
It's been said countless times before ,But I really want one final DKC from Retro Studios to complete the modern trilogy with King K.Rool and the Kremlings returning and be the ultimate DKC experience, I hope that's what they have been working on now that they took over Metroid Prime 4 (Which I'm excited about ,But I'm still a bigger fan of DK than Metroid), But part of me is worried that they cancelled whatever it was that they were working on that past 5 years and feel like that was the likeliest outcome.

My 2nd choice would definitely be Playtonic Games with co-development by Retro Studios, I don't know if Retro is all hands on deck with Metroid Prime 4 development , But I feel like they can sacrifice a part of their team for assistance to offset Playtonic's smaller team while they work on the majority of the game, Playtonic has several members of the original "Core" DKC team and it definitely shows with their latest project "Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair" which is heavily DKC inspired and you can tell they took notes from Retro's work with Returns/Tropical Freeze.

If most of Retro is going to be busy for a while then I would love for Nintendo to ask Playtonic Games to handle the Donkey Kong series for a while with some assistance from Retro Studios seeing how the franchise doesn't have a dedicated studio.

The original creators of Donkey Kong Country definitely deserve another shot at the franchise they made what it is today and would bet they would pounce on the oppurtunity if it were to come up again.

Last edited:

Justin Little

Smash Ace
A 3D DK could go anywhere for me. Open world, linear, a mixture. As long as it's the Galaxy and BotW moment for DK, I'm all aboard. A 3D sub-series is what DK needs, imo.

As for what I want out of a 2D DK, I want to see the tag-team mechanic come back. As much as I love DK, it would be cool if we could mix and match Kongs that best fit your playstyle. This missing mechanic is even more apparent when you look at the lovely idle animations added to Tropical Freeze on the Switch and how its a shame the other Kongs can't interact with each other like they do with DK. More animal buddies and Kremlings are a must too.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I would want a spiritual successor to DK64 more than anything else.
Yes Donkey Kong 3D Country would be great. DK, Diddy, Dixie, Cranky, and Lanky would be my choice for playable characters.

DK -His special powers would be destroying big tough enemies other Kongs can't, and can lift heavy barrels other kongs cant.

Diddy - Hes the fastest kong of the bunch, has a double jump via Jetpac, and of course peanut popguns for stunning enemies at a distance.

Dixie - Can fly across long gaps and is the fastest swimmer in the game.

Cranky - Can spot secret items at a distance and can pogo over spikes. Slowest character in the game.

Lanky - Basically everything he can do in DK64. Run up slopes, has a long reach so he can attack enemies at a distance. Also he can grab and toss enemies from afar.

In my mind this game would have no shops but will have their own special houses on the world map ala Mario 3D World where you can farm lives. Its run by Funky of course. You dont buy them but play short mini-games. Originally I had Swanky take this position but lets be honest Swanky is never returning.

Yes Kremlings/K.Rool are a must.
So what about Candy? Does she have a role like giving you instrument powerups like in DK64 or is she not in the game at all?

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
ok wait i have a real answer

Donkey Kong RPG

i have been wanting one of these for a while now because really, imagine it: the DK series has a lot of scenic locales and atmosphere that I think would work in this setting, and of course David Wise on a sprawling RPG soundtrack would be amazing. Plus, the battle system could introduce a lot of moveset potential for Dixie Kong, something that would certainly not hurt her chances in Smash.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Wrinkly Kong needs to be playable in a 3D Dk game or an RPG. Swap her out with Cranky, who can be an NPC and boss (DK Sr.).

Wrinkly's attacks include decaying her face in real time to scare enemies; summoning books from the beyond and using them as bear traps for enemies; severing her head (she's dead, it's OK) and throwing it at enemies like a boomerang; popping her eyes out (also okay because she's dead) for stealth missions; turning invisible; summoning banana birds to protect her or launch at enemies like missiles.

Sucking the life out of enemies and spitting it out in a tea cup (item you can use later to heal).

Last edited:

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord

Okay, I had this idea the other day for a Dixie Kong attack. I didn't mean for the imagery to turn out so occult, but I think it could be fun in a 3D DK game in the future.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord

Okay, I had this idea the other day for a Dixie Kong attack. I didn't mean for the imagery to turn out so occult, but I think it could be fun in a 3D DK game in the future.
Yeah I thought this was one of those summoning circle memes at first xD

And yes more wielding large ape babies as weapons.

Strong DK

Smash Apprentice
My top 10 DK music tracks are:
1: Credits Concerto
2: Donkey Kong Rescued
3: Swinger Flinger
4: Snakey Chantey
5: Fear Factory
6: Mining Melancholy
7: Busted Bayo
8: Aquatic Ambiance
9: Grassland Groove
10: In a Snowbound Land
There's just so many great tracks in DKC games that it's hard to choose just 10.
As for future DKC-game i want it to be one final 2d-platformer from Retro with K. Rool's return with Kremlings. Also sequel to DKJB would be lots of fun.
Speaking of the Beaver Bother, i came up with the ultimate form of punishment: Beaver Bother in the Golden Temple during thunderstorm...

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
My top 10 DK music tracks are:

Speaking of the Beaver Bother, i came up with the ultimate form of punishment: Beaver Bother in the Golden Temple during thunderstorm...
The ultimate DK level.

As you progress, an aiming reticle locks onto the Klaptrap and you hear "GET OUT".

Last edited:

Strong DK

Smash Apprentice
The ultimate DK level.

As you progress, an aiming reticle locks onto the Klaptrap and you hear "GET OUT".
I'm 100% sure this is the place where all the bad people go after they die.
I bet K.Rool was there too before his resurrection. That would explain why he has degraded so animalistic as he is now in the Smash

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
i dont know if anyone here would agree with me but i think it would be cool if dixie kong was in smash

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
i dont know if anyone here would agree with me but i think it would be cool if dixie kong was in smash
Brb printing this comment out, framing it, and mailing it to Sakurai. Surely he’ll be so moved by this he’ll burst into tears and instantly drive over to the office and start working on programming her into the game.

Last edited:

DeniroSerafim

Smash Apprentice
Can't wait for the strictly first party second fighter pass next year, so cool that Dixie is going to be the first character.

ze9

Smash Ace
Hey now, this is certainly a novel idea, I never looked at Dixie that way. But you know what? It makes sense! A lot of it, actually.
Count me as a supporter!

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
I think the only games she has them is in the Mario Baseball games.

There needs to be an investigation into Kongs and teeth in general.

ze9

Smash Ace
Kongs' teeth probably appear and disappear at will. Kinda like sharks.

Top Bottom