• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

Dinoman96

Smash Master
But other than those minor nitpicks I'm having a real good time with the game and would love for Nintendo to hand the keys over to Playtonic for a DK game or Nintendo just make Playtonic another "2nd party" like Retro Studios, Monolith Soft, Intelligent Systems, Next Level Games, Monster Games, Hal Lab., Good-Feel, ND Cube, etc.
For the record, Retro and Monolith are actually subsidiaries of Nintendo, they're not just affiliated developers like HAL Labs, Next Level or AlphaDream (RIP).

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Playing through Impossible Lair right now. The game is already a massive improvement over the original game Im only 4 levels in but I gotta say the soundtrack has yet to grab me (hoping they get a bit more "bouncy" later on..) and sometimes its hard to decipher where a secret is or whats part of the actual stage (as in what you can jump on or not). Also their is quite a bit of "oops you missed this collectible and it was your only shot to get it without retrying the entire level".

But other than those minor nitpicks I'm having a real good time with the game and would love for Nintendo to hand the keys over to Playtonic for a DK game or Nintendo just make Playtonic another "2nd party" like Retro Studios, Monolith Soft, Intelligent Systems, Next Level Games, Monster Games, Hal Lab., Good-Feel, ND Cube, etc.
How does it compare to Retro's Donkey Kong Country series? Obviously I'm not expecting Impossible Lair to be on that level of Triple A quality that would be unfair seeing how it's an indie game though it constantly draws comparisons to it for obvious reasons and similarities, But it looks very good and well made for what it is, Kind of like a budget version of Tropical Freeze and I mean that in a good way.

I will likely pick it up sometime around the holidays ,Maybe around Black Friday if there is a good deal or maybe ask for it for Christmas.

Last edited:

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
I'm sure Impossible Lair is a fantastic game, but I don't think it would help my craving for a new DKC game, because a huge part of what I love about DKC is those specific characters, and unfortunately they're probably not gonna put Dixie Kong in a Yooka-Laylee game.

Unless...

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Let me know of any of you think this Yooka-Laylee game is as good as Tropical Freeze or not, so I can know whether to consider buying it.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
Today I played The Impossible Lair for hours. I had to make myself stop or I could have finished the game in one sittting maybe haha.
It's very fun.
The controls feel like a mix of classic Rare DK and Retro DK. The roll move looks like Retro's but IMO it feels more like Rare's, because Yooka keeps running and moving fast after you do the roll. I need to play more to classify it.
The automatic rope grab from SNES DK returns. You can grab fruits with Yooka like they were barrels but Yooka can still use his full moveset while he holds the fruit. And Laylee allows him to Roll like the partner roll in Retro's games (Except he stops after a while and then you can start again). And pressing attack in the air with Laylee allows for a brief Dixie-esque helicopter spin.

The platforming levels are very replayable. Recycling levels but with new properties was a great idea. When you return to a level after flooding or freezing it from the overworld. It's almost an entirely new level.
And the overworld is very fun. It's like they took the overworld concept of DKC3 and applied some Zelda puzzles and Metroidvania elements to make it a long puzzle that you slowly solve by completing levels.
Overall I'm having a lot of fun. It's like the Rare / Retro hybrid style of DK in a low budget game. The low budget hurts tho.
Because you can sometimes feel the devs' ambition getting shut down by money restrictions.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
I still think Yooka is weirdly bland compared to the Kongs or Banjo and Kazooie. Laylee is fine.

Yooka just has a weird look and weird voice sound. He also looks vaguely human? I think that's what is offputting. It looks like a lizard midway through an animorphs transformation. With the personality of low fat, no taste, left-out-to-dry cream cheese.

DeniroSerafim

Smash Apprentice
I'm loving The Impossible Lair, I'd definitely recommend it to everyone in here. On a more Dixie related note, there's a tonic in the game that sort of replicates Dixie's hover ability going off of what Hyle from DKVine said in his preview, so hey, that's some sort of new Dixie related content.

Justin Little

Smash Ace
I still think Yooka is weirdly bland compared to the Kongs or Banjo and Kazooie. Laylee is fine.

Yooka just has a weird look and weird voice sound. He also looks vaguely human? I think that's what is offputting. It looks like a lizard midway through an animorphs transformation. With the personality of low fat, no taste, left-out-to-dry cream cheese.
I think Yooka looks great at certain angles. However, I do think there is something missing in his design, and there is something wrong with the way his neck connects to his body.

On the other hand, I love Laylee's design. I remember when they first showed her the big nose put some off including myself, but now I wouldn't want it any other way.

Ed-boy

Smash Journeyman
I think Yooka looks "off" because he's buck naked (A commendable way of living, but not much to look at ultimately).
By comparison, DK has his tie, Banjo has his necklace, backpack n' shorts & Diddy/Dixie wear swag-infused tanktops n' caps.

It wouldn't hurt to give the guy atleast one piece of clothing or accessory that goes well with his green-yellow-red palette (& Laylee's purple). As for his physique, I feel the teeth kinda look awkward with his bulky headshape & spaced-out eyes.

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I think Yooka looks "off" because he's buck naked (A commendable way of living, but not much to look at ultimately).
By comparison, DK has his tie, Banjo has his necklace, backpack n' shorts & Diddy/Dixie wear swag-infused tanktops n' caps.

It wouldn't hurt to give the guy atleast one piece of clothing or accessory that goes well with his green-yellow-red palette (& Laylee's purple). As for his physique, I feel the teeth kinda look awkward with his bulky headshape & spaced-out eyes.
Yes! I thought they'd at least give him a hoodie so Laylee has something to ride in when she's not being used. Honestly... Sitting on Yooka's head all day is bland.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
if the commonly-sited issues with Yooka are his neck and his nudity, then it sounds like a scarf is the perfect solution:

NOW you're ready for Glitterglaze Glacier!

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
That actually does help. I agree though that some angles just aren't for him. That perspective is no good. Untag yourself for your own sake, Yooka. I like his side profile much better.

Meanwhile, our girl Dixie looks good from EVERY ANGLE, EVERY PERSPECTIVE, if you crop out her super large pink toenails.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
ZeroJanitor ZeroJanitor wow that actually looks really good and sad that Steve Mayles didnt use that design...Now Im gonna be depressed that doesnt actually exist..

Anyway enough Yooka lets get back to Dixie Kong. I know, Why are Diddy and Dixie still together? Diddy rarely ever invites her to Mario's parties or sporting events its almost like he's embarressed to bring her around Mario and friends. If I was in Dixie's non-existant shoes I would've broken up with Diddy a long time ago. Diddy shows Dixie no respect.

Yeah you could say the same thing about Donkey and Candy. But 1. If I was DK I would definitely be embarrassed to bring Candy Kong around often and 2. DK has yet to decide whether he wants Candy or Pauline. Hes a free ape who fools around with Candy every once in awhile even though he really wants Pauline.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
maybe there's someone in mario's friend group that dixie doesn't get along with that well

i bet its toad

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
maybe there's someone in mario's friend group that dixie doesn't get along with that well

i bet its toad
Neither are playable yet despite being relatively big Nintendo names so my headcanon says that they're friends, actually.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Dixie: Did you get back into Mario Kart?
Diddy: Yes.
Dixie: What did it cost?
Diddy: 40$.

Really though, I can't tell which is more messed-up, this or Luigi not being available at Tour's launch. The MK department has officially gone completely insane.

DK wants Pauline? DK Island, we have a problem.
Time to call Mario! :4pacman:

But really though, the last thing we expect to see is DK showing romantic affection 24/7, the guy just wants to relax and eat bananas, man. Besides, we don't even know if Retro plans on bringing back Candy and/or the rest of the Kongs at all, and DK in Mario games is really just side trips.

Last edited:

Justin Little

Smash Ace
I'm not sure if I should be pissed off about the prices in Mario Kart Tour, or be happy that Nintendo sees Diddy Kong is worth being sold for $40 lol.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
In case anyone wanted to see the horror for themselves.
I'm not sure if I should be pissed off about the prices in Mario Kart Tour, or be happy that Nintendo sees Diddy Kong is worth being sold for $40 lol.
It's not that they really see Diddy Kong as worth that much, it's more that they charge that price for pretty much every character.

And I like Diddy Kong and all, but I don't think he (or any other character) is worth as much as a full Mario Kart game (or a full Donkey Kong game for that matter).

Last edited:

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
In case anyone wanted to see the horror for themselves.

It's not that they really see Diddy Kong as worth that much, it's more that they charge that price for pretty much every character.

And I like Diddy Kong and all, but I don't think he (or any other character) is worth as much as a full Mario Kart game (or a full Donkey Kong game for that matter).
You say that but if they added K.Rool to Tour I would totally pay $60 for him but still not play the game..

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
ZeroJanitor ZeroJanitor wow that actually looks really good and sad that Steve Mayles didnt use that design...Now Im gonna be depressed that doesnt actually exist..

Anyway enough Yooka lets get back to Dixie Kong. I know, Why are Diddy and Dixie still together? Diddy rarely ever invites her to Mario's parties or sporting events its almost like he's embarressed to bring her around Mario and friends. If I was in Dixie's non-existant shoes I would've broken up with Diddy a long time ago. Diddy shows Dixie no respect.

Yeah you could say the same thing about Donkey and Candy. But 1. If I was DK I would definitely be embarrassed to bring Candy Kong around often and 2. DK has yet to decide whether he wants Candy or Pauline. Hes a free ape who fools around with Candy every once in awhile even though he really wants Pauline.
Sadly that can be to the fact that Diddy in Mario spin off games is pretty to fill in the role of DK Jr (who was supposed to be in Double Dash but they replaced him with Diddy since he's more popular) every other DK character gets shafted unless it's something that requires a lot of team members like baseball(it was a miracle for Funky to get in MK Wii) doesn't seem like they want to add too much content for the series which I can understand but it does kinda blow that they don't really have any other place to continue appearing outside of DK spin offs which most of them are regarded as underwhelming or the main games which nowadays don't make too frequently.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Say what....? Is that what it takes to unlock Diddy in Mario Kart Tour? I just have Toad and Bowser now, the controls kind of bugged me, not as smooth as I wished them to be. So I wasn't all that interested yet to unlock all racers but whoaaaa... 40 dollar / euro is way overpriced.

Justin Little

Smash Ace
Say what....? Is that what it takes to unlock Diddy in Mario Kart Tour? I just have Toad and Bowser now, the controls kind of bugged me, not as smooth as I wished them to be. So I wasn't all that interested yet to unlock all racers but whoaaaa... 40 dollar / euro is way overpriced.
Don't be so modest, Diddy. I'm sure many people around here would pay $40 just to see your sweet furry face.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
I missed Diddy in Mario Kart 8. But THAT is the reason I never touch mobile games.
I had the hope some new DK DLC would have been added to 8 Deluxe after the Breath of the Wild Link DLC came out. Welp. Dixie is the only reason I still play the DS port of Diddy Kong Racing sometimes.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Dixie joins the battle. She's unique. She has a DKC2 and DKCTF stage. But she's labeled 'Trixie Kong' and you have to pay $40 to rename her.

I think I'd grow to love Trixie in that case.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Sadly that can be to the fact that Diddy in Mario spin off games is pretty to fill in the role of DK Jr (who was supposed to be in Double Dash but they replaced him with Diddy since he's more popular) every other DK character gets shafted unless it's something that requires a lot of team members like baseball(it was a miracle for Funky to get in MK Wii) doesn't seem like they want to add too much content for the series which I can understand but it does kinda blow that they don't really have any other place to continue appearing outside of DK spin offs which most of them are regarded as underwhelming or the main games which nowadays don't make too frequently.
That's what happens when Eastern game creators aren't sure about using stuff they didn't make themselves. There's a reason why you never see Waluigi outside of sports/party spin-offs, for one.

At least we didn't get another DKC game that yanked nearly every regular Kong out like Jungle Beat again...

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I've been working on this for way too long. After many crashes and glitching out, I finally have what was supposed to be a solid and straightforward drawing:

It was supposed to be just Mini Necky and Dixie, but the angle left TOO much negative space so I added the onomatopoeia, changed the BG color from white to sky blue and added those purple borders to make it more stylish. I think the "AAEeRRGHHh!!!" captures the screech Neckies make when getting killed, and this highlights something Dixie can do that other Kongs can't: Swat airborne assailants all while staying grounded. She's quite an Anti-Air character. Hope y'all like this, and that it juices people's imagination for what she could do in Smash AND DKC. Also, please put this on Twitter, thanks.

Dixie joins the battle. She's unique. She has a DKC2 and DKCTF stage. But she's labeled 'Trixie Kong' and you have to pay $40 to rename her.

I think I'd grow to love Trixie in that case.
Me too. There's some things I'm not fighting for lol

Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I've been working on this for way too long. After many crashes and glitching out, I finally have what was supposed to be a solid and straightforward drawing:

It was supposed to be just Mini Necky and Dixie, but the angle left TOO much negative space so I added the onomatopoeia, changed the BG color from white to sky blue and added those purple borders to make it more stylish. I think the "AAEeRRGHHh!!!" captures the screech Neckies make when getting killed, and this highlights something Dixie can do that other Kongs can't: Swat airborne assailants all while staying grounded. She's quite an Anti-Air character. Hope y'all like this, and that it juices people's imagination for what she could do in Smash AND DKC. Also, please put this on Twitter, thanks.

Me too. There's some things I'm not fighting for lol
This drawing is incredible! I particularly like the expression on Dixie's face, like she's making a precise, considered move. It's a nice counterpart to how Diddy in Smash is presented as an acrobat first and foremost, and here we see Dixie acting in a similarly exact, pinpoint fashion.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Don't be so modest, Diddy. I'm sure many people around here would pay $40 just to see your sweet furry face.
Not even I would do this. I think I rather get Impossible Lair, I read good stuff here. Never played the original however.

I hope the prices drop eventually...

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Probably Peach
Yeah I was thinking its Peach as well. Dixie is probably like "This ***** always getting captured, stand up for yourself without overly relying on your emotions."

I think the characters Dixie would most get along with in the Mario Universe are Daisy, Toadette, Rosalina, and Pauline. I think they would all get along as they are all strong independent women in their own ways. Daisy and Dixie would get along well simply because they both have tomboyish natures and love to have fun. Dixie and Toadette as their both sweet and love adventuring. Pauline and Dixie would bond over their love for music. Pauline would probably let Dixie join her band as a guitarist. Dixie and Rosalina would get along for the aforementioned strong female role.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I have to say, the biggest reason I was against this leak was because it didn't include Dixie.
There was a problem fetching the tweet
Same, she seemed like such an obvious clone to include after Isabelle. It's a shame Dixie hasn't made the cut so far.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
This drawing is incredible! I particularly like the expression on Dixie's face, like she's making a precise, considered move. It's a nice counterpart to how Diddy in Smash is presented as an acrobat first and foremost, and here we see Dixie acting in a similarly exact, pinpoint fashion.
Thanks very much! I love the pose I did for her and the expression is like icing on the cake. It really did crash a lot so I am happy it's well-received; also thank you for suggesting Mini Necky. I really was unsure who to go with and your suggestion helped a lot.
Clearly, the Grinch Leak failed because it didn’t have Dixie. It was smited down by the Smash Gods for not having such an obvious inclusion.
I'm so happy it failed. It did have more than Box Theory's but outside of B-K and maaybe Geno I didn't care about those characters. 9 year old me would've liked Shadow, but my teenage to current selves can't care less. No offense to their fans, these characters just aren't for me.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
The Grinch leak had too many characters to be true. Regardless if it was true or not. Both timelines ended with Dixie excluded from Smash again.
My perfect timeline was Dixie appearing at the end of the K. Rool trailer. That would have been so hype (I was actually expecting that).

Justin Little

Smash Ace
Finally got around to playing Impossible Lair. If anybody has a negative preconceived notion about the Yooka IP or Playtonic, then throw it out the window. This game is ****ing fantastic!

Like Shovel Knight and A Hat in Time, games that borrow from other classic games while forming their own identity, Impossible Lair does exactly that. It's so much more than just a DKC/DKCR clone. There is also a hint of Yoshi's Island, 2D Zelda, Rayman Origins/Legends, and, yes, even some Banjo all rolled up in what might be GotY. The overworld is the biggest highlight in my opinion, but that doesn't make the 2D platforming sections worse. While I don't think it controls as well as Tropical Freeze, and it took me a while to get used to it in this game, once it clicks with you then you're left with the most fun and most satisfying platforming experience this generation!

The only thing negatives I have with is Laylee's sporadic movement when trying to retrieve her and when you die the environment doesn't restart its pattern lacking a bit of flow. I feel as though the latter is a little unfortunate, and I hope it gets patched out. Having said that, everything else about it is just sublime! Don't skip this one folks! Please!

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
The Grinch leak had too many characters to be true. Regardless if it was true or not. Both timelines ended with Dixie excluded from Smash again.
My perfect timeline was Dixie appearing at the end of the K. Rool trailer. That would have been so hype (I was actually expecting that).
Yup, with all the double reveals they love to pull off (Robin and Lucina, Simon and Richter, Ken and Incineroar, the last pair not even being from the same series), I'm just bewildered they didn't do Dixie with K. Rool.

zipzapsparkle

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I was thinking its Peach as well. Dixie is probably like "This ***** always getting captured, stand up for yourself without overly relying on your emotions."

I think the characters Dixie would most get along with in the Mario Universe are Daisy, Toadette, Rosalina, and Pauline. I think they would all get along as they are all strong independent women in their own ways. Daisy and Dixie would get along well simply because they both have tomboyish natures and love to have fun. Dixie and Toadette as their both sweet and love adventuring. Pauline and Dixie would bond over their love for music. Pauline would probably let Dixie join her band as a guitarist. Dixie and Rosalina would get along for the aforementioned strong female role.
In Mario baseball it tells you which characters like or dislike each other, although I can’t remember what Dixie’s profile said.

Top Bottom