• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Does Angry Aztec count? I do think they can do more with it. There's a lot of desert specific-plants and animals and phenomena that could be fun in a platforming game.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
R O F L R O F L

DK64 had Angry Aztec which was a desert and Donkey Kong Jungle Beat had a few levels based in deserts.

Also idc what locations we get in the next DK game I just want a new ****ing DK game already DAMN! Not to mention DK has never had a problem with unoriginal, uninspired worlds/level designs like a certain other franchise that has "New" in the title...

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
I hate to be that guy, but I kinda think the Mangrove levels in DKCTF are big stinkies in an otherwise gorgeous and interesting game. The first world is kinda rough and weird looking in general. The music isn't that great, either.

Except for that silhouette mangrove level. That's just beautiful.

Mangroves could be interesting... I just think they were kind of dull looking in TF.

Urban DK has a lot of potential. Imagine riding Rambi through a street filled with cars. Swinging with Squitter down a narrow alley. Flying from rooftop to rooftop with Dixie. Swimming through a dumpster with Enguarde. Swinging on electrical cables in some sort of high tech generator station. That sounds iconic and it hasn't even happened yet!

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
i should point out that cityscape levels were a thing in Donkey Kong Land. it would be neat to see them revisited in a game with more detailed graphics though

SeashoreWar

Smash Journeyman
Finally did the 1st four characters for Donkey Kong Racing. Kutlass, Tuck, Pipsy and Xananab! Took me awhile to figure out what style I was gonna do them in. Kutlass got the most changes out of the four. I also changed the Snowmads' emblem to the ice dragon Lord Frederik uses (thanks for showing us the concept art Retro!).

Also, I think all the tracks should take place in Mangrove Cove. In honor of InASnowBoundLand InASnowBoundLand !

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Besides condemning us to a life of Mangroves, that's a beautiful post, Seashore War. The updated emblem for the Snowmads is perfect. Why didn't they think of that?! I think Kutlass' face looks a little Koopaish in terms of the snout for my liking, but they all look good, especially Pipsy and Xananab. The dabbing definitely works.

Do you wanna post it on your account and we RT you or you want us to post it?

And look at all those slots. There's enough for every DK character ever, except Troff and Scoff who need to die. Yes offense, Troff and Scoff.

SeashoreWar

Smash Journeyman
Besides condemning us to a life of Mangroves, that's a beautiful post, Seashore War. The updated emblem for the Snowmads is perfect. Why didn't they think of that?! I think Kutlass' face looks a little Koopaish in terms of the snout for my liking, but they all look good, especially Pipsy and Xananab. The dabbing definitely works.

Do you wanna post it on your account and we RT you or you want us to post it?

And look at all those slots. There's enough for every DK character ever, except Troff and Scoff who need to die. Yes offense, Troff and Scoff.
Thanks! You can post it! I see what you mean about Kutlass. I can try something different with him. And yeah I wanted to do something different for the snowmads. And then I thought of the dragon and googled it and I knew I could do something with it.

Troff and Scoff make up the rest of the slots :eek:
Why is Xananab dabbing
Taking cues from the King of Dab.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
What kind of environments do you guys want to see in the next DK game? I was recently looking at some stock photos and it made me want to see what DKC3 was going for, but more fully realized in modern day.
https://images.unsplash.com/photo-1...aWQiOjEyMDd9&auto=format&fit=crop&w=1650&q=80
Maybe for a new DK game, they could have a second go at this type of setting with an emphasis on the mountainous parts. Elevation, vertical stages.

But I admit my biggest request is a lot of industrial and urban environments. We haven't had a lot of that in the DK games.

https://images.unsplash.com/photo-1...aWQiOjEyMDd9&auto=format&fit=crop&w=1671&q=80
https://unsplash.com/photos/ANJHXftvvJ8
https://unsplash.com/photos/MYB2driCp2k

Maybe adjacent to NDC is a city called Kremopolis, where the Kremlings who used to live on Crocodile Isle migrated and started a big bustling city whose look and feel is more like a Kremling-flavored Tokyo or Hong Kong than NYC. But it doesn't have to be like that at all. There is a lot out there for potential inspiration that I'd want to see pulled into DK.

https://unsplash.com/photos/va55rDQgRBk
https://unsplash.com/photos/oR9ZisoF_NE

I think an "Urban DK" sounds very fun and could provide an environment where the Kongs' abilities really stand out.
I really like the idea of an Urban DK; the thought of Kongs in a concrete jungle with none of the jungle would be a great change of pace, and I like seeing how platformers tackle the architecture of whatever city they base the environment on.

For Kremopolis...I have an idea. Let's say K. Rool's the main antagonist for whatever game this city debuts in, and in that game he's the boss for some worlds. The twist however, is that he's adopted a persona via disguise that fits that particular world, so in Kremopolis's case, he's a Wilson "Kingpin" Fisk knockoff called... K. Rimewave. It'll be pronounced K'Rimewave rather than Kay-Rimewave (that guy's a separate dude and a rapper cuz he rhymes, get it?), and he's mainly got his insane strength to rely on, but as the biggest crime boss he has some dirty tricks up his well-dressed sleeves. He'll only be the boss of 2 or 3 out of the 6 to 9 worlds, but each fight will be very different; only linked by a couple tell-tale patterns.

As for me, the environment I'd like to see is a massive train yard. It could be a bustling transportation depot, with the kongs having to avoid incoming and outgoing freight trains, with high-speed platforming, an industrial/rural setting and levels that take place at a large train station, underground railway tunnels, a derelict crash site and on a high-speed freight train against a midnight horizon.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
I like the train idea. There's a lot of potential there, breaking into trains. Smashing the face of the Kremlings driving the trains, the Konductors.

K. Rimewave, that's perfect.

And he's running to be mayor of Kremopolis vs Klubba (who is a good man, even if rough around the edges). But K.Rimewave is winning in the polls and will win the election unless you expose him for who he is. You have to complete some sort of list of objectives to reveal K.Rimewave to the people of Kremopolis, because apparently they're too stupid to realize the pun in his name. There's a dramatic reveal scene where you pull of K.Rimewave's toupee and moustache, shocking the mostly anti-K.Rool Kremopolis residents.

There is a short K. Rool fight but he breaks out his secret weapon when you're about to beat him. One of the reasons the adventure started in the first place: A kongnapped Cranky. Cranky is very angry and grumpy and in a cage just like he was in DK Jr. There's a collar on him and K. Rool turns some sort of knob on a remote control all the way to full power, "75M". It shocks Cranky and he begins to transform in bright light as K. Rool laughs. Bingo, bango, presto.

BOSS OF KREMOPOLIS!
DONKEY KONG SR.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I think we all know who's getting one of these spots, but I'm curious as to the other three.

saw some really good fanart just got posted on Twitter of the three main Kongs (hopefully the images show up when i embed):

Yup, this artist is one of the few that actually regularly acknowledges Dixie in fan art, something I wish would occur more often.

Justin Little

Smash Ace
If there were any doubts about Playtonic making DKC6, maybe the great reviews for Impossible Lair should put that to rest. I'm so happy for this team.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
I'm happy for them.

I also had a bad dream where the big upcoming DK game was revealed to be a mobile app that adds DK's teeth-blaring grin to your photos.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I'm really happy for Playtonic.

I think they really were way over their heads when making the first Yooka-Laylee and ultimately bit off more than they could chew. Trying to make a 3D platformer on par with the Banjo games of old isn't exactly an easy feat, especially when you're working with a much smaller indie budget (whereas Kazooie/Tooie were AAA games back in their day). Playtonic was also already at a disadvantage when you consider that they didn't have Gregg Mayles on their team (due to still working at Rare), which is unfortunate because he was actually the guy who designed BK/BT, whereas the rest of the Rare veterans on board were really just programmers and artists back in the day.

Impossible Lair definitely feels more in line with the kind of studio Playtonic is.

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Came in here to say what a few people have already said in here and that's, Nintendo get your thumbs out of your asses and hire Playtonic to make the next DKC game especially since Retro is too busy working on Metroid Prime 4 and was too busy making the BBQ catering for Nintendo of America from late 2013-mid 2018 (with a new Funky port somewhere in the middle).

Impossible Lair has been getting fantastic reviews from across the board. Im excited to play it even if I find the characters and world of Yooka-Laylee to be kinda dull and boring. But if the music and gameplay are solid enough (which seems to be the case based on reviews) then thats enough for me to power through it.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Dixie Kong only has 4 votes. Let's push those numbers up!

You can vote for as many characters as you want so if there are others you want, you can vote them.

T'is a small poll, but remember, every bit of exposure counts! No matter how small it seems, each tiny yelp on the internet clamouring for a character will eventually grow into a roar, as we saw with K. Rool and Banjo Kazooie.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I'm really happy for Playtonic.

I think they really were way over their heads when making the first Yooka-Laylee and ultimately bit off more than they could chew. Trying to make a 3D platformer on par with the Banjo games of old isn't exactly an easy feat, especially when you're working with a much smaller indie budget (whereas Kazooie/Tooie were AAA games back in their day). Playtonic was also already at a disadvantage when you consider that they didn't have Gregg Mayles on their team (due to still working at Rare), which is unfortunate because he was actually the guy who designed BK/BT, whereas the rest of the Rare veterans on board were really just programmers and artists back in the day.

Impossible Lair definitely feels more in line with the kind of studio Playtonic is.
Came in here to say what a few people have already said in here and that's, Nintendo get your thumbs out of your ***** and hire Playtonic to make the next DKC game especially since Retro is too busy working on Metroid Prime 4 and was too busy making the BBQ catering for Nintendo of America from late 2013-mid 2018 (with a new Funky port somewhere in the middle).

Impossible Lair has been getting fantastic reviews from across the board. Im excited to play it even if I find the characters and world of Yooka-Laylee to be kinda dull and boring. But if the music and gameplay are solid enough (which seems to be the case based on reviews) then thats enough for me to power through it.
Honestly, the fact that the first Yooka-Laylee game is developed by Rare alumni was already enough for me to wonder why Nintendo hasn't hired these guys to make a new DK game already. Compared to Retro, maybe the folks at Playtonic will ACTUALLY USE THE OTHER MEMBERS OF THE KONG FAMILY ALREADY.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Honestly, the fact that the first Yooka-Laylee game is developed by Rare alumni was already enough for me to wonder why Nintendo hasn't hired these guys to make a new DK game already. Compared to Retro, maybe the folks at Playtonic will ACTUALLY USE THE OTHER MEMBERS OF THE KONG FAMILY ALREADY.
It's kinda hard to say whether if Nintendo would let them use other Kong family members beyond the usual few.

Remember that K. Rool being excluded from Returns wasn't Retro's call exactly, it was sort of a mandate from Miyamoto and Tanabe.

Last edited:

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
IDK. I want the next DK game to be 3D or mostly 3D. And while I liked Yooka Layee, I would trust Retro or another Nintendo studio more with that.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
if i'm being honest, its shocking to me that people are actually surprised nintendo hasn't hired playtonic for a dk game, when i've never considered that as even being on the table.

but whatever, nintendo clearly has a history of giving donkey kong to western developers so i guess theres precedent for it.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Great, things have been taking off lately in this thread so I'm gonna have a lightning round:

InASnowBoundLand InASnowBoundLand really liking the idea of Kremopolis. Bringing in Klubba would make a heartwarming callback to DKC2, and fighting Cranky as his rejuvenated but brainwashed self after battling K. Rimewave would be over-the-top and very funny lol.

SeashoreWar SeashoreWar your art is outstanding! Really looking forward to more of it; as always, I'll give you a shout-out in the OP. I'm gonna jump the gun this time though and encourage voting in the reddit poll first though, since that might be time-sensitive.

Also, glad YL is doing well with reviews. I'll probably get it on PS4 cuz why not. Didn't bother with the original game; I was excited for it but once it released I chose not to buy it, and the reception made me very skeptical about Playtonic getting to make a DKC. If this is a really good game though, then I'd be 100% excited to see them tackle a DKC.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Dixie Kong, Pauline, Krystal, and Jeanne are my 4 favorite gaming females.

Though Rosalina, Toadette, Medusa, Pearl, Callie, Samus, Bayonetta, Blaze the Cat, Dr. Coyle, Twintelle, Jill Valentine, Claire Redfield, Ada Wong, Chloe Frazer, Midna, Isabelle, Hilda (Three Houses) are some of my favorite female characters as well.

Most of my favorite gaming characters are either females or villains/anti-heroes.

Justin Little

Smash Ace
If Nintendo is on the fence on whether or not they should give the DK IP to Playtonic, they could always just give them Diddy and Dixie. Playtonic could make a spin-off with those two since it is technically their own characters, and I don't think anyone would object to it. Those characters alone could go genres beyond the usual platformer, and it would be cool to see them star in their own game again.

Last edited:

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
That's an interesting idea. I think they could include DK, too. But You might be right that they could give them the option to do an experimental game that isn't a 'main game'. Like Cadence of Hyrule.

Ed-boy

Smash Journeyman
I don't think I could narrow it down to 4, so other than you-know-who, here's some personal favs off the top of my head...
Toadette, Daisy, Midna, Pauline, Coco Bandicoot, Palutena, Medusa, Kazooie, Gruntilda, Ms. Pac-Man, Hat Kid, Zelda, Tetra, Samus, Krystal, The Squid Sisters, Kumatora, Nina Cortex, Peacock from Skullgirls & Barbara from Rayman Legends.

Hopefully, it'll continue to grow in due time.

Last edited:

zipzapsparkle

Smash Journeyman
I like Justin Little’s idea, although I want Playtonic to make Diddy King Racing 2.

My favorite females in gaming also include Dixie and Pauline. Dixie was amongst the first heroines and she’s always been a strong character. Pauline fell off into obscurity but she’s still helped pave the way and I adore her recent development.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
Diddy Kong Racing 2 actually sounds like a perfect project for Playtonic. idk if Banjo and Conker (or even Tiptup) would return but I could see the others being easily negotiable on Nintendo's part.

Justin Little

Smash Ace
Whenever I get the chance, I always choose to play a female character first. Especially avatars. Bloodborne might be the only outlier because I created a hilariously creepy Arthur from Ghost N Goblins, lol! I might go play through it a second time, but with Morrigan from Darkstalkers. That probably makes more sense, thematically.

As for my favs, Dixie, Midna, Ibuki, Chun Li, Cammy, Sakura, Ling Xiaoyu, Yuri, Athena, Shantae, Kazooie, Laylee, Zelda, Bayonetta, Morrigan, Felicia, Pauline, and Samus at least from the top of my head. There are many more I could list, tbh.

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I have EXTRAORDINARY NEWS...when I clicked Mushroomguy12 Mushroomguy12 's link to the poll Dixie had 11 votes, meaning 7 more people had voted since then and I became the 12th to vote. Now however, as of right now Dixie has leapt to 56 votes, surpassing everyone and tying with Rayman! These 2 are currently 1st Place in the poll. Great job and thank you to everyone who followed that link!

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I mean, I do think spirits basically deconfirm characters.

Well, at least for the Fighters Pass. They obviously were planning it alongside the development of the base game, and the fact that the FP consists of characters/series with absolutely no presence whatsoever in the base game is a testiment to that. We have not one, not two, not three, but FOUR FP characters that are entirely new to Smash, so I'd presume the last character will follow.

Jury's out on how it will effect the DLC after, however.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I mean, I do think spirits basically deconfirm characters.

Well, at least for the Fighters Pass. They obviously were planning it alongside the development of the base game, and the fact that the FP consists of characters/series with absolutely no presence whatsoever in the base game is a testiment to that. We have not one, not two, not three, but FOUR FP characters that are entirely new to Smash, so I'd presume the last character will follow.

Jury's out on how it will effect the DLC after, however.
I think they deconfirm for the Fighter's Pass too, but that's more due to the Fighter's Pass focusing on 3rd Parties that are new series, not connected to actual Spirits.

I was mainly talking about the people who still think they deconfirm for post FP DLC.

Top Bottom