• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

ze9

Smash Ace
DK64 music is good, but sometimes it really feels too much like Banjo-Kazooie.
Sometimes it works in my opinion, like in Crystal Caves, in Fungi Forest and in Gloomy Galleon. They're more whimsical than Wise's typical compositions, but they still have that mysterious feeling, soundnig appropriate for a DK game. But then you have K. Lumsy's theme which is really similar to Inside Clanker, or Creepy Castle which sounds a bit like bootleg Mad Monster Mansion (the nod to arcade DK's opening is cute, though). And K. Rool's theme just isn't intense enough.
I wouldn't put it entirely on Kirkhope, though. A lot of things in DK64 look a bit out of place in the DK universe, and more in line with the Banjo games. The tomatoes with eyes, the microphone with eyes, the freaking talking sign post with eyes, all those weird animals... eh.
Not a bad game though, I like it, I think it's kinda better than Tooie. Kazooie is in a different league though.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
DK64 music is good, but sometimes it really feels too much like Banjo-Kazooie.
Sometimes it works in my opinion, like in Crystal Caves, in Fungi Forest and in Gloomy Galleon. They're more whimsical than Wise's typical compositions, but they still have that mysterious feeling, soundnig appropriate for a DK game. But then you have K. Lumsy's theme which is really similar to Inside Clanker, or Creepy Castle which sounds a bit like bootleg Mad Monster Mansion (the nod to arcade DK's opening is cute, though). And K. Rool's theme just isn't intense enough.
I wouldn't put it entirely on Kirkhope, though. A lot of things in DK64 look a bit out of place in the DK universe, and more in line with the Banjo games. The tomatoes with eyes, the microphone with eyes, the freaking talking sign post with eyes, all those weird animals... eh.
Not a bad game though, I like it, I think it's kinda better than Tooie. Kazooie is in a different league though.
DK64 and the Banjo-Kazooie games probably sound the same because they might be using the same music engine. I know for a fact that the Zelda games and Star Fox 64 pretty much have the same music engine if you listen close enough to the songs in those games and compare some of them to one another.

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
So now that Banjo & Kazooie are in, it doesn't seem like we got a wave of Dixie supporters, even with Steve Mayles saying she's next. Any ideas why?

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
So now that Banjo & Kazooie are in, it doesn't seem like we got a wave of Dixie supporters, even with Steve Mayles saying she's next. Any ideas why?
Female characters don’t seem to win many popularity contests in this fandom, unfortunately. The only exception I can think of to this is Shantae, and even then her fanfare is smaller than behemoths Waluigi, Bandanna Dee, and Geno. It’s why you see people flocking to Conker and Funky even though Dixie should be in first. I saw a post on Reddit for Cranky Kong in Smash with 4000 upvotes. I have never seen even close to that number for a post focused on Dixie. Her support seems to be more passive.
Also ignorant people thinking she would be wig Diddy.

Last edited:

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
I have to wonder if we're a world where Conker gets in before Dixie.

Like, I'm down for both, but I wonder if it's more important to Nintendo to add new franchises over more characters from franchises we already have. At least right now it seems very focused on third party.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
The combination of several factors.
All DLC characters so far have been 3rd party so far. She's a spirit. That DK already received K. Rool as a newcomer and Rare has received two with K. Rool and Banjo Kazooie. The stigma that she would be an echo by people who have never played as Dixie.
I think that if a new first party character gets announced breaking any of those stigmas (Isaac, Rex, Bandana Dee... Funky?). More people will be interested in seeing Dixie in the game as a unique character.
If DKC2 and 3 get added to the SNES Online Service I think that would help a lot as well.
Because I know Metroid had a huge bunch of new fans when the service came out.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Well, a good number of people from the K. Rool and Banjo & Kazooie crowd went to go flock to Crash instead of Dixie or another Rare character like Conker or the Battletoads.

Female characters don’t seem to win many popularity contests in this fandom, unfortunately. The only exception I can think of to this is Shantae, and even then her fanfare is smaller than behemoths Waluigi, Bandanna Dee, and Geno. It’s why you see people flocking to Conker and Funky even though Dixie should be in first. I saw a post on Reddit for Cranky Kong in Smash with 4000 upvotes. I have never seen that for Dixie. Her support seems to be more passive.
Okay, I predicted people or more specifically N64 Rare fans were going to flock to Conker months ago and I was wrong. But where is this crowd you speak of? Dixie is still a ton more popular than Conker or even Cranky, she just isn't as popular as the kroc or the bear and bird.

Like, I'm down for both, but I wonder if it's more important to Nintendo to add new franchises over more characters from franchises we already have. At least right now it seems very focused on third party.
I'm in the mindset that if we get another Rare/Microsoft character it will be Conker if not Master Chief or Steve.

The combination of several factors.
All DLC characters so far have been 3rd party so far. She's a spirit. That DK already received K. Rool as a newcomer and Rare has received two with K. Rool and Banjo Kazooie. The stigma that she would be an echo by people who have never played as Dixie.
I think that if a new first party character gets announced breaking any of those stigmas (Isaac, Rex, Bandana Dee... Funky?). More people will be interested in seeing Dixie in the game as a unique character.
If DKC2 and 3 get added to the SNES Online Service I think that would help a lot as well.
Because I know Metroid had a huge bunch of new fans when the service came out.
Let me get this straight... K. ROOL IS A NINTENDO OWNED CHARACTER NOW, NOT A RARE OWNED CHARACTER!!!

Last edited:

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
Let me get this straight... K. ROOL IS A NINTENDO OWNED CHARACTER NOW, NOT A RARE OWNED CHARACTER!!!
I know that. But he was made by Rare and certainly brings back the feel of their games from the 90s. Just like Banjo. It's not about who owns the character. It's about what they represent. That's why people still categorize Dixie and Krystal as Rare characters.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I know that. But he was made by Rare and certainly brings back the feel of their games from the 90s. Just like Banjo. It's not about who owns the character. It's about what they represent. That's why people still categorize Dixie and Krystal as Rare characters.
Okay, I just wanted to make sure. I hate it when people spread misinformation about K. Rool and say "He's owned by Rare and Microsoft dude, that's why we haven't seen him for years." Like if that was the case, he wouldn't have been a trophy in every Smash game since Melee or been in all the spin off DK titles after the buyout as well as Mario Super Sluggers.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I guess people just sort of see Dixie as a female variation of Diddy Kong or just another monkey character and thus don't see her as essential.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
This is obviously a satire, but I just think of this whenever people say that "Dixie won't be good DLC because the public won't pay for 1st Parties as much".

If Nintendo can do this, then they most certainly can add Dixie as DLC.

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Aren't people in general just tired?
The announcement of more DLC has brought a huge 2nd wind for many.
Female characters don’t seem to win many popularity contests in this fandom, unfortunately. The only exception I can think of to this is Shantae, and even then her fanfare is smaller than behemoths Waluigi, Bandanna Dee, and Geno. It’s why you see people flocking to Conker and Funky even though Dixie should be in first. I saw a post on Reddit for Cranky Kong in Smash with 4000 upvotes. I have never seen that for Dixie. Her support seems to be more passive.
Yea I'm not surprised in regards to Reddit. I made an admittedly clickbaity post in hindsight a year back about Dixie not needing to be an Echo, and the general response was basically: "Yea but what else does she have going for her? Besides she's not that important, the newcomer pool is limited and there's better options." Such an underdog, and it seems that's her lot in life.

The way Sakurai seems to be going, it looks like 3rd Party's the new norm. IDK how much of a shot Conker has though. Sure he's friends with Diddy and Banjo but I personally can't vouch for his likelihood. Don't get me wrong I played and thoroughly enjoyed BFD and Live and Reloaded but his chances are still a mystery to me.

The conclusion I'm drawing from the rest of the replies is this: we best not wait on an influx of new Support Buddies en masse to keep Dixie alive. There's enough of us here to circulate life, speculation and creativity to build her image up ourselves. With little outside factors to ignite us we'll just use our inner strength to move forward. Let's keep coming up with ideas, concepts and speculating in the meantime. Twitter's moving gently upwards; it's near 350 followers and we can keep up the momentum.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
This is obviously a satire, but I just think of this whenever people say that "Dixie won't be good DLC because the public won't pay for 1st Parties as much".

If Nintendo can do this, then they most certainly can add Dixie as DLC.
I almost wish it wasn't satire. I want to rebuy the game on Switch but can't justify that big of a price tag.

Come on Nintendo, give us a more Diddy price!

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

Conker is competing with Steve and Master Chief in terms of Microsoft Reps though. We're unlikely to even get a 2nd one in the first place.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Heres my 2 cents as to why Dixie hasnt gotten more popular:

- People view her as nothing more than echo material. Girl Diddy blah blah blah, Diddy in a wig blah blah blah.

- Most people have very little exposure to Dixie as a character. The most people probably know her from is Tropical Freeze. A game (while amazing) where Dixie is just a glorified power-up and a game that has probably only sold around 3 million copies between both the Wii U and Switch versions. Dixie missing DK64 and her not being in the original DKC really hurt her wide appeal/audience. Also it doesnt help when none of the DKC trilogy is on NSO to help newer players get introduced to her.

- People only seem to care about 3rd parties now. Nintendo/Sakurai included it seems. Any 1st party addition is considered "boring" and "expected" by the majority. Shame that Smash and the community has devolved to that stigma where adding NINTENDO characters to what was suppose to be a NINTENDO fighter is now considered lame and boring.

- Shes female and not the hot anime looking female kind weebs can **** off too. So shes not as popular.

- She comes from the Donkey Kong franchise. Even though its Nintendo's 5th best selling franchise is somehow and always treated like the red headed step child by not only Nintendo themselves but by the Smash/Nintendo fanbase as a whole.

- K.Rool and Banjo fans are tired and worn out. They are tired of speculating after years of being denied, ridiculed, mocked, and spit on by the greater Smash community that they just want to rest. I know a lot of Banjo/K.Rool fans who want Dixie but dont want to do anymore speculating so they will just keep to themselves secretly hoping she gets in.

- Shes a spirit and a lot of Smash people feel if you're a spirit you are automatically out of the running as DLC.

Those are my reasons anyway.

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
The Rayman for Smash twitter is pretty great. I don't know how they managed to accumulate so many subscribers in such a short time--I'd be jealous if Rayman weren't my most wanted character! Anyway, I've tried to keep the Dixie twitter somewhat distinct all this time, but some collabs with Rayman twitter might be fun as well.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
We really need a new DK game. A new DK game with Dixie would do wonders. But I hope that when we do get it, Dixie and the other playable characters are really put to good use in terms of the potential of their abilities. I don't think we've had any DK game ever that has really pushed the potential of these characters in terms of platforming.

I also hope in terms of personality, the next DK game is a little more adventurous. The DK characters, including Dixie but excepting Funky, have been kind of "sanitized" compared to the somewhat "weird" (but memorable) behavior in the old games.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
- Most people have very little exposure to Dixie as a character. The most people probably know her from is Tropical Freeze. A game (while amazing) where Dixie is just a glorified power-up and a game that has probably only sold around 3 million copies between both the Wii U and Switch versions. Dixie missing DK64 and her not being in the original DKC really hurt her wide appeal/audience. Also it doesnt help when none of the DKC trilogy is on NSO to help newer players get introduced to her.
I feel like Tropical Freeze would be a lot more helpful to Dixie's popularity if Nintendo didn't insist on selling it for $60 despite being 4 years old. It turns off a lot of potential newcomers to the series when they have to put in such a large investment for an unknown, especially when it’s a port of a Wii U game, there’s an inherent feeling of getting ripped off no matter how good the actual game is.

That single tweet I linked from Hard Drive making fun of its price has gotten more likes then ANY Dixie for Smash tweet I've ever seen, even the one from Steve Mayles.

Last edited:

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
Tropical Freeze on Switch would have sold way more if they had made a bundle with Returns for $60.
I would even say Returns needed the definitive edition treatment more than TF. Because you have to choose between 60 fps but Motion controls (I don't mind them but many people do) or 30 fps and poor visuals for normal roll controls.
There is still time to release it for Switch and do a promotion or a discount for the owners of Tropical Freeze like they did with the Bayonetta games.
But it's Nintendo so....

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
There are several factors why.

I hope nobody takes this the wrong way because I actually like Dixie Kong and would be cool with her in Smash

1. 3rd Party Characters are the focus

This probably is the biggest reason why she unfortunately hasn't gained much momentum and feel like it's a lost cause.

While it's not guranteed that the remainder of the DLC will be exclusively 3rd Party it sure really looks like it, I honestly believe Sakurai wants to expand the Smash Universe beyond 1st Party Characters, I mean this is "Ultimate" after all and he is pushing for the biggest crossover in video game history and thinks that this is the last time he will do anything this ambitious with the roster.

Some people don't want to hear it, But lets be honest and especially when it comes to DLC, 3rd Party Characters are a bigger deal and make a bigger impact than secondary 1st Party Characters who are overshadow by the main characters already representing the franchise in Smash.

No offense to Dixie Kong, But I'm surprised anyone would think that Nintendo would end their E3 presentation with her reveal even though the DK cinematic was baiting many fans into thinking that, many would be happy and cool with her in Smash, But she isn't a "Showstopper" or "Jaw Dropper" character reveal, That's why Banjo-Kazooie was the "Showstopper" to close out E3. I said it before and I will say it again ,But she should have been revealed before King K. Rool as a Semi-Clone in the middle of the August Direct.

2. Overshadowed by DK, Diddy Kong and King K. Rool

Many don't view her as important or essential as those 3 characters, She is often seen as "Diddy's Sidekick" or the "3rd or 4th wheel" of the DK cast, Many franchises in Smash are represented by the main character (DK), sidekick or secondary character (Diddy) and main antagonist (King K.Rool) some examples also include the Kirby, Star Fox and maybe Metroid I guess and even though Donkey Kong is bigger than all 3 of those franchises, The series unfortunately doesn't get treated like it or gets the respect it deserves.

Yes I know she was in DKC 2 and even though they felt more like a tag team Diddy Kong was viewed as the main character, I mean it is called "Diddy's Kong Quest" after all and while she is the main character in DKC 3 that game is considered the least popular in the Country series despite still being a solid platformer.

3. King K. Rool and Banjo-Kazooie are considered to be more important or a bigger deal and are tired or out of gas from roster speculation.

Donkey Kong was the last big Nintendo franchise in Smash to have yet get it's main antagonist and it didn't help that his last major appearence in that role was in Donkey Kong 64 (1999) which was nearly 20 years ago, Donkey Kong was considered a much bigger deal back then too during it's time with Rareware and King K. Rool and the Kremlings were viewed as the equivalent of Mario and Bowsers Army to their franchise. After her appearance in Tropical Freeze many believe Dixie will be safe for future entries, But many fans felt it was more important and vital to bring back King K.Rool as his comeback in Smash would help bring him back to relevancy and reestablish himself as the main antagonist of the DK franchise since his future was much more murky.

The main reason Banjo-Kazooie are held to such high regard is not just because of their great games on the N64, But the duo were legally 1st Party/ 2nd Party Nintendo Characters during Rareware's time with Nintendo in the N64 era, After Donkey Kong there was no doubt that Banjo-Kazooie franchise was the face of Rareware seeing how DK was still a Nintendo owned creation, They were always seen as a perfect fit for Smash and were considered for Melee, But as we all know the 2002 Microsoft Buyout killed that dream until in recent years Phil Spencer (Head of Microsoft's Xbox Division) was cool with them joining Smash seeing how they have a working partnership with Nintendo and it came at a perfect time right when Smash 4 DLC was happening and Smash Ultimate was announced (2015-2018), That's when their campaign really snowballed and took off and once King K.Rool got it and seeing how there is a lot of overlap between fans of Donkey Kong and Banjo-Kazooie because of their Rareware connection many fans wanted to strike while the iron was hot, Hell I remember last year shortly after King K.Rool got announced the Banjo-Kazooie thread and online in general got a surge of momentum as many crossed over to push for the bear and bird and now that both are in I've only have seen minor support onto other Rareware characters such as Dixie Kong and Conker, I assume many don't see them as important as the other 2. Just look at Youtube, Banjo-Kazooie already has millions of views from their official reveal trailer as many don't see them as just another 3rd Party Character, But more of a long lost Nintendo character returning home.

Smash Roster Speculation is also long and exhausting for some people me included and many don't want to go through a 3rd year of a DLC roster cycle (King K.Rool Year 1) (Banjo-Kazooie Year 2) I only created an account on Smashboards was to rally for Banjo-Kazooie and King K. Rool and will likely leave at the end of the year once the season 1 fighter pass wraps up as I am exausted and already out of gas.

Like I have said before, Personally I would like Dixie Kong in Smash, But I'm not begging on my knees for her like I was for Banjo-Kazooie and King K. Rool and since 3rd Party Characters are seem much more likely I think I would rather take my chances with Crash Bandicoot as he is my most wanted 3rd Party Character after Banjo-Kazooie.

Last edited:

Call_Me_Red

Smash Journeyman
I feel like Tropical Freeze would be a lot more helpful to Dixie's popularity if Nintendo didn't insist on selling it for $60 despite being 4 years old. It turns off potential newcomers to the series when they have to put in such a large investment for an unknown.

That single tweet I linked from Hard Drive making fun of its price has gotten more likes then ANY Dixie for Smash tweet I've ever seen, even the one from Steve Mayles.
Can I get a link on his tweet? I'm combing through his Twitter and can't find it.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Honestly, another thing to consider with Dixie is that, there was a lot more at stake with K. Rool and Banjo.

Dixie already had the luxury of recently starring in a critically acclaimed platformer, whereas someone like K. Rool was in danger of being forgotten about. Naturally there was a bigger push to get K. Rool in, to get him back in the spotlight.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Because people don't care about her that much.

Let's be honest, even though everyone says she should be in, very few fans are actually willing to support her in the same way they support Waluigi, Ridley etc. Most of the Smash's Rare fanbase made it clear that they primarily care about :ultbanjokazooie::ultkrool: and Dixie is just a bonus to round off representation. After K.Rool, "we only need Banjo now!" cries were everywhere. Dixie didn't get that. She didn't create any backlash when other Rare characters got in before her or she's only a Mii hat/Spirit.

She makes sense, but her support isn't particularly passionate.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Conker is competing with Steve and Master Chief in terms of Microsoft Reps though. We're unlikely to even get a 2nd one in the first place.
I think we are definitely getting another Microsoft rep in the DLC lineup at this point. I mean come on, It's freaking Microsoft. Nintendo and Sakurai will probably try to get Master Chief in if they can because that would be freaking HUGE.

Because people don't care about her that much.

Let's be honest, even though everyone says she should be in, very few fans are actually willing to support her in the same way they support Waluigi, Ridley etc. Most of the Smash's Rare fanbase made it clear that they primarily care about :ultbanjokazooie::ultkrool: and Dixie is just a bonus to round off representation. After K.Rool, "we only need Banjo now!" cries were everywhere. Dixie didn't get that. She didn't create any backlash when other Rare characters got in before her or she's only a Mii hat/Spirit.

She makes sense, but her support isn't particularly passionate.
Which is really sad because Dixie deserves just as much attention as the kroc and the bear and bird.

I haven't seen you awhile osby osby .

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I haven't seen you awhile osby osby .
I took a break from here for a while. I also stopped visiting support threads.

Also, not to be negative, but supporting Dixie feels like flogging a dead horse at this point for me. While I still want her in the game, I'd rather talk about other characters.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I took a break from here for a while. I also stopped visiting support threads.

Also, not to be negative, but supporting Dixie feels like flogging a dead horse at this point for me. While I still want her in the game, I'd rather talk about other characters.
Well it's nice to see you again osby osby . :)

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I honestly wonder if Smash will include series that are mostly only famous in the west, like Halo, DOOM, etc.

It seems pretty clear to me that Sakurai wants Smash to primarily be a celebration of Nintendo and the Japanese gaming industry. Sure, we just got a western designed/owned character with Banjo & Kazooie, but they're kind of a special case. Rare was an important part of Nintendo's history, and in a game that's all about Nintendo and Japanese gaming, Banjo/Rare did feel like a missing piece of the puzzle. Moreso than any other western IP.

I don't know, I think it's somewhat telling that the only playable western designed fighters in Smash thus far are three (four?) classic Rareware era characters and a Metroid Prime character. They're all from noteworthy games that Nintendo published worldwide.

Last edited:

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133

Taken from the Dixie twitter. My god how it would be awesome and saddens me at the same time that the actual Dixie and playable Krystal arent in Smash. But the picture is still amazing.

Also side-note but my god do I hate DK's size in Smash. I've always felt DK was much bigger in Smash than he needed to be. Seeing K.Rool next to DK but smaller is just weird man.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

Taken from the Dixie twitter. My god how it would be awesome and saddens me at the same time that the actual Dixie and playable Krystal arent in Smash. But the picture is still amazing.

Also side-note but my god do I hate DK's size in Smash. I've always felt DK was much bigger in Smash than he needed to be. Seeing K.Rool next to DK but smaller is just weird man.
That Mii Fighter is unsettling....

Last edited:

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
It saddens me to see that so much people are throwing the towel with Dixie and First Party characters in general.
When I look at the roster, it always annoys to see the disproportionate amount of Fire Emblem characters while many franchises can't get their last requested character because now is the rule (not the exception) to never add a Nintendo character ever again. I will always believe that she is a valid candidate as much as Captain Toad, Bandana Dee and any other First Party. Banjo Kazooie weren't requested characters for being "Wow, impossible third party". They were received as a long lost First Party character and they were the most hype reveal ever. First Party characters sell. The Smash fans are Nintendo fans. You can't just ignore them forever.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
It saddens me to see that so much people are throwing the towel with Dixie and First Party characters in general.
When I look at the roster, it always annoys to see the disproportionate amount of Fire Emblem characters while many franchises can't get their last requested character because now is the rule (not the exception) to never add a Nintendo character ever again. I will always believe that she is a valid candidate as much as Captain Toad, Bandana Dee and any other First Party. Banjo Kazooie weren't requested characters for being "Wow, impossible third party". They were received as a long lost First Party character and they were the most hype reveal ever. First Party characters sell. The Smash fans are Nintendo fans. You can't just ignore them forever.
It annoys me that if there are no 1st Party DLC characters, that they decided a Piranha Plant was the last one deserving of a slot, especially in likely the last game ever to bring back all the veterans.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
It annoys me that if there are no 1st Party DLC characters, that they decided a Piranha Plant was the last one deserving of a slot.
To be fair, Piranha Plant was probably supposed to be on the base roster. Hence there being a Palutena's Guidance for it unlike the other DLC characters.

It was most likely just relegated as a bonus DLC character for time.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
To be fair, Piranha Plant was probably supposed to be on the base roster. Hence there being a Palutena's Guidance for it unlike the other DLC characters.

It was most likely just relegated as a bonus DLC character for time.
And it’s still listed as the last 1st Party character added (Number 70). It was the last character to get a traditional “numbered” video and a Palutena’s Guidance like you said.
That just makes it even worse. Like literally saying that the remaining 1st Parties (and reps from pre-existing 3rd Parties like Shadow and Geno) are so insignificant that they are lesser than a generic mook.

Last edited:

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
Dixie Kong is still a popular choice among the general speculation scene (usually as an echo, but that's still on the radar). I think part of whats happening is that arguably her biggest roles between the SNES and Wii U was being a character in the Mario Baseball games. That's nearly 20 years without a prominent appearance in a major title (barring the GBA rereleases), and the current generation of Smash fans have had less of an opportunity to develop an attachment to the character as a result.

Yes there was the era of DK spinoffs and Dixie was playable in a lot of them, but she rarely got to show off her unique attributes in those games, and maybe that's part of why a lot of people can't see her being unique.

ze9

Smash Ace
I think the Fighter Pass going crazy with 3rd parties has been really fun (crossing fingers for Doomguy), but yeah if DLC has to go on for long, it's probably appropriate to bring some 1st party characters in.
Now that Banjo and Simon are in, I think there's not many 3rd party characters left that are really widely wanted across the fanbase (only Bomberman and Rayman come to mind). It's a bit anything goes. 1st party characters instead, they still bring some passion. I think they'll happen.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I think the Fighter Pass going crazy with 3rd parties has been really fun (crossing fingers for Doomguy), but yeah if DLC has to go on for long, it's probably appropriate to bring some 1st party characters in.
Now that Banjo and Simon are in, I think there's not many 3rd party characters left that are really widely wanted across the fanbase (only Bomberman and Rayman come to mind). It's a bit anything goes. 1st party characters instead, they still bring some passion. I think they'll happen.
And Crash Bandicoot. You can't forget about Crash.

Top Bottom