• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Yup, with all the double reveals they love to pull off (Robin and Lucina, Simon and Richter, Ken and Incineroar, the last pair not even being from the same series), I'm just bewildered they didn't do Dixie with K. Rool.
Yeah that would've been the OBVIOUS thing to do. But remember DK is only allowed getting one newcomer every OTHER Smash game. Nintendo likes to make sure us DK fans know just how little we mean to them. They gotta keep us in our place. Only Mario, Zelda, Fire Emblem, Kirby, Castlevania, Metroid, Kid Icarus, and Pokemon can get more than 1 newcomer per game even though DK is Nintendo's 5th best selling franchise.

You want K.Rool? Well you gotta beg plead and vote for him in a ballot for us to add him. Even though he should've been an obvious choice long before Ultimate.

You want Dixie Kong? Too bad we're gonna think about adding her in Brawl only for us to not finish her development and still not add her 2 games later even though once again she should've been an obvious choice.

You want another DK game? Too bad. You gotta wait years until releases with nothing but ports and wack spin-offs in between (and even those have stopped).

You want more DK characters to appear in Mario spin-offs on a consistent basis? Too bad. Here's only DK and Diddy again and again and again!

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
I feel like if Retro weren't roped back in to doing Metroid Prime again, we would have gotten a third Donkey Kong Country game that wraps up this trilogy. I personally would have wanted that over Metroid Prime 4.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
In Mario baseball it tells you which characters like or dislike each other, although I can’t remember what Dixie’s profile said.
From Super Mario Wiki's page on Chemistry in the Mario Baseball games.

In the Gamecube game Dixie just has positive chemistry with DK and Diddy and nothing else, but in the Wii game it actually gets interesting.
She has positive chemistry with:
Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong (obviously)
Funky Kong
Tiny Kong
Baby Donkey Kong
Pink Mii (a lot of the characters have this with colors of Miis that fit their color scheme, Donkey and Diddy like Brown Miis and K. Rool likes Green Miis)

And negative chemistry with:
King K. Rool (obviously)
Kritter
Dry Bones

Last edited:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
There is recently a sort of mania on this website that Smash Bros. needs more female characters,

Despite this mania, Dixie Kong continues to get much less attention despite being one of the few Nintendo characters left that is popular, important to their own franchise, and has a long running legacy, especially outside of the Mario franchise.

I think we need ambassadors to constantly remind people just how important Dixie is, and implore them to explore her source material. I am at a loss about anything that can be done, but when much of the discussion is whining about a lack of female newcomers, and Dixie Kong still comes up rarely, things are very, very dire.

Honestly, I think Dixie Kong might never make it in, because I don't see how interest for her takes off. People simply won't be interested in her unless somehow a bandwagon around her develops (see how several other characters exploded during this cycle).

I have no more ideas left for what can be done, I still think this argument below is a novel idea for Dixie Kong's worth, but I am the only one that ever brings it up:

During the 1990's, there were very few female gaming protagonists, especially outside of RPGs. For Nintendo, the two big ones were Samus (who many did not even know was a woman) and of course Dixie Kong.

Dixie Kong was a very interesting case. For many female characters, they are usually loved because of "sex appeal" or "waifu bait". However, Dixie Kong was a very "girly girl" kind of character (she would even cry if she got hit), yet she was very popular among boys during the 1990's. Why was this? Well, even though she was still very feminine and girly, she was at the same time very cool. She could fly through stages that were very challenging for our much younger selves, and flying is very cool. Her animations did much to endear people to her too, whether it was rocking out on a guitar, chewing gum, having a drink through a straw, or licking honey while climbing a wall. She had spunk and personality. DKC3 might very well been the first Nintendo game I remember ever being hyped for solely due to Dixie Kong headlining it (it was either that or Yoshi's Island).

Dixie Kong in a lot of ways is a female Mario. You would not think a girly monkey with an oversized ponytail would be very endearing (much the same way you would not think a mustachioed middle aged man wearing a red cap and shirt and blue overalls would be appealing), yet she is appealing and endearing to all kinds of demographics. She in many ways is the ideal heroine. Many heroines are made and written to be men in a female body, but Dixie Kong is still very feminine and a "girly girl", yet at the same time very much a heroine. For a series that regularly features kidnapping as a plotpoint, she still remains the only major playable Kong to have never been kidnapped by K. Rool (DK and Diddy have both been kidnapped twice). She has fight in her too (remember how she sassed K. Rool in DKC3).

Young boys would love and appreciate Dixie Kong just as much as young girls would, and that speaks a lot to her design and appeal as a character.

I simply do not have the fight in me that I did years ago. I can only supply some ammo/artillery (ideas and arguments), but otherwise its going to be up to other fans to champion her. I kind of wish now that I had championed Dixie Kong heavily during the ballot period, but I was just so worn out from the efforts put towards Ridley and Roy, that I did not want to be involved anymore once Roy was confirmed (and it also seemed like Ridley had very little chance going forward). Maybe had she done better on the ballot, she would have been another semi-clone on the roster like Isabelle was.

Regardless of what-ifs, I don't know what to say. Everything has happened that should have boosted Dixie's popularity (like both K. Rool and Banjo-Kazooie being confirmed, people now obsessing over getting more female characters in), and it simply has not materialized.

I think for Dixie she needs a miracle, or perhaps several miracles at this point. However, I am pessimistic on that considering she is a character that has had long running bad luck for a very long time going back to missing Diddy Kong Racing back in 1997. I apologize for my dour tone, but this is wake up call to how dire the situation is for Dixie going forward. If Dixie cannot muster this much support when up against against a bunch of side and retro characters, you can only imagine how much worse her situation is going to be when a new crop of Nintendo characters are made during the 2020's that will actually have some great credentials (as well as her last game appearance sliding further to obscurity).

The situation is bad right now, and right now is tracking to be worse.

There are lots of intelligent and passionate posters in this topic, so I am curious to hear your insight as to why Dixie Kong has not taken off in requests despite the conventional wisdom that she probably should have, and secondly, about what could possibly be done to make her a major highly requested character.

Personally, I am out of ideas on the latter. I am not sure what could even happen that makes her very popularly requested. The Smash Bubble simply has changed, and Dixie simply does not have a novelty that entices them.

I again apologize. However, this looks more dire than even I had predicted. She simply does not exist in the mindset of many of the Smash Bubble. I never thought that would happen, but here we are.

This is likely going to be my last post in this topic for months to come, so its a shame it had to be this down, but I felt it had to be said.

I hope you guys can continue fighting. I wish you the best of luck, and I will continue hoping for the best. Our history and ties to Dixie run deep, so while we might never have the numbers on our side, we certainly have the heart.

Last edited:

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
bad luck for a very long time going back to missing Diddy Kong Racing back in 1997. I apologize for my dour tone
To be fair that wasn't really meant to be a DK related game, Miyamoto suggested to make Diddy the main character during development and the dev team wasn't too crazy about at first but they accepted the idea that's why he and Krunch(who was made for that game only no less) were the only things related to the DK series.

zipzapsparkle

Smash Journeyman
The solution is simple we push Dixie Kong for the “we need more female fighters” group.

I honestly do think we could use more girls after all they only added very few this time around. Dixie is one of the bigger names left too.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
There is recently a sort of mania on this website that Smash Bros. needs more female characters,

Despite this mania, Dixie Kong continues to get much less attention despite being one of the few Nintendo characters left that is popular, important to their own franchise, and has a long running legacy, especially outside of the Mario franchise.

I think we need ambassadors to constantly remind people just how important Dixie is, and implore them to explore her source material. I am at a loss about anything that can be done, but when much of the discussion is whining about a lack of female newcomers, and Dixie Kong still comes up rarely, things are very, very dire.

Honestly, I think Dixie Kong might never make it in, because I don't see how interest for her takes off. People simply won't be interested in her unless somehow a bandwagon around her develops (see how several other characters exploded during this cycle).

I have no more ideas left for what can be done, I still think this argument below is a novel idea for Dixie Kong's worth, but I am the only one that ever brings it up:

During the 1990's, there were very few female gaming protagonists, especially outside of RPGs. For Nintendo, the two big ones were Samus (who many did not even know was a woman) and of course Dixie Kong.

Dixie Kong was a very interesting case. For many female characters, they are usually loved because of "sex appeal" or "waifu bait". However, Dixie Kong was a very "girly girl" kind of character (she would even cry if she got hit), yet she was very popular among boys during the 1990's. Why was this? Well, even though she was still very feminine and girly, she was at the same time very cool. She could fly through stages that were very challenging for our much younger selves, and flying is very cool. Her animations did much to endear people to her too, whether it was rocking out on a guitar, chewing gum, having a drink through a straw, or licking honey while climbing a wall. She had spunk and personality. DKC3 might very well been the first Nintendo game I remember ever being hyped for solely due to Dixie Kong headlining it (it was either that or Yoshi's Island).

Dixie Kong in a lot of ways is a female Mario. You would not think a girly monkey with an oversized ponytail would be very endearing (much the same way you would not think a mustachioed middle aged man wearing a red cap and shirt and blue overalls would be appealing), yet she is appealing and endearing to all kinds of demographics. She in many ways is the ideal heroine. Many heroines are made and written to be men in a female body, but Dixie Kong is still very feminine and a "girly girl", yet at the same time very much a heroine. For a series that regularly features kidnapping as a plotpoint, she still remains the only major playable Kong to have never been kidnapped by K. Rool (DK and Diddy have both been kidnapped twice). She has fight in her too (remember how she sassed K. Rool in DKC3).

Young boys would love and appreciate Dixie Kong just as much as young girls would, and that speaks a lot to her design and appeal as a character.

I simply do not have the fight in me that I did years ago. I can only supply some ammo/artillery (ideas and arguments), but otherwise its going to be up to other fans to champion her. I kind of wish now that I had championed Dixie Kong heavily during the ballot period, but I was just so worn out from the efforts put towards Ridley and Roy, that I did not want to be involved anymore once Roy was confirmed (and it also seemed like Ridley had very little chance going forward). Maybe had she done better on the ballot, she would have been another semi-clone on the roster like Isabelle was.

Regardless of what-ifs, I don't know what to say. Everything has happened that should have boosted Dixie's popularity (like both K. Rool and Banjo-Kazooie being confirmed, people now obsessing over getting more female characters in), and it simply has not materialized.

I think for Dixie she needs a miracle, or perhaps several miracles at this point. However, I am pessimistic on that considering she is a character that has had long running bad luck for a very long time going back to missing Diddy Kong Racing back in 1997. I apologize for my dour tone, but this is wake up call to how dire the situation is for Dixie going forward. If Dixie cannot muster this much support when up against against a bunch of side and retro characters, you can only imagine how much worse her situation is going to be when a new crop of Nintendo characters are made during the 2020's that will actually have some great credentials (as well as her last game appearance sliding further to obscurity).

The situation is bad right now, and right now is tracking to be worse.

There are lots of intelligent and passionate posters in this topic, so I am curious to hear your insight as to why Dixie Kong has not taken off in requests despite the conventional wisdom that she probably should have, and secondly, about what could possibly be done to make her a major highly requested character.

Personally, I am out of ideas on the latter. I am not sure what could even happen that makes her very popularly requested. The Smash Bubble simply has changed, and Dixie simply does not have a novelty that entices them.

I again apologize. However, this looks more dire than even I had predicted. She simply does not exist in the mindset of many of the Smash Bubble. I never thought that would happen, but here we are.

This is likely going to be my last post in this topic for months to come, so its a shame it had to be this down, but I felt it had to be said.

I hope you guys can continue fighting. I wish you the best of luck, and I will continue hoping for the best. Our history and ties to Dixie run deep, so while we might never have the numbers on our side, we certainly have the heart.
I figure the main reason Dixie's ignored is because like everything, the calling for female fighters is tainted by the kinds of characters people tend to like now: third party characters. But yeah, Dixie Kong is one of the likeliest first party characters and she just happens to be a female, so going to bat for her like you and TheYungLink TheYungLink did in the main thread can't do anything but help.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I figure the main reason Dixie's ignored is because like everything, the calling for female fighters is tainted by the kinds of characters people tend to like now: third party characters. But yeah, Dixie Kong is one of the likeliest first party characters and she just happens to be a female, so going to bat for her like you and TheYungLink TheYungLink did in the main thread can't do anything but help.
TBH, I see her mentioned among female characters no less than I see her mentioned among 1st Party picks, in which she gets drowned out by Bandanna Dee and Waluigi often, possibly for being seen as a "wig Diddy", which we all know is bogus, as well as the nonsense assumption that 3 DK characters was "enough" (wrong).

While yes, a lot of the people calling for female characters focus on 3rd Parties, there are a lot of 1st Party advocates that focus mostly on male characters as well.

We should be promoting Dixie in both spheres as a top pick.

Last edited:

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
I think the games were a character come from should eba little more important that the franchise itself... (probably waluigis weakest point)

But at least Dixie has the luck of being an important playable part of IMO the 2 best donkey kong games of all time, DKC2 and DKCR Tropical freeze. Which at the same time are among 2 of teh best plataformer games ive played.

And she have another big adventage over that other 2 guys, in that she can actually work as an echo, if they are willing to put the same amount of effort in teh animations they did with ken, and having it's iconic hair spin instead fo the jetpacks like chrom...

and if not an echo, she can still work pretty well as a semi clone.

I hate the idea of "giving the dk ranchise dixie because it needs more reps" like "Kirby needs more reps" or "Zelda needs more reps" or "Fire emblem has too many reps", thats also why i'm against say funky, and to a certain extent Cranky (oh, and funky kong wouldnt work as an DK echo... he is like... the only kong who always stands upright in the moveset of teh kong that never stands upright, at best we would get DK cosplaying as funky) But luckily Dixie have enough strenght IMO to stand in her very own 2 feets (and hands if needed) and not having to be "Dk needs more characters"

Now if dixie doesn't come with at least some DKC2 or DKCR content i'm gonna riot and raid area 51... or whatever younglings raid these days...

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I think the games were a character come from should eba little more important that the franchise itself... (probably waluigis weakest point)

But at least Dixie has the luck of being an important playable part of IMO the 2 best donkey kong games of all time, DKC2 and DKCR Tropical freeze. Which at the same time are among 2 of teh best plataformer games ive played.

And she have another big adventage over that other 2 guys, in that she can actually work as an echo, if they are willing to put the same amount of effort in teh animations they did with ken, and having it's iconic hair spin instead fo the jetpacks like chrom...

and if not an echo, she can still work pretty well as a semi clone.

I hate the idea of "giving the dk ranchise dixie because it needs more reps" like "Kirby needs more reps" or "Zelda needs more reps" or "Fire emblem has too many reps", thats also why i'm against say funky, and to a certain extent Cranky (oh, and funky kong wouldnt work as an DK echo... he is like... the only kong who always stands upright in the moveset of teh kong that never stands upright, at best we would get DK cosplaying as funky) But luckily Dixie have enough strenght IMO to stand in her very own 2 feets (and hands if needed) and not having to be "Dk needs more characters"

Now if dixie doesn't come with at least some DKC2 or DKCR content i'm gonna riot and raid area 51... or whatever younglings raid these days...
Yeah, tbh, Dixie's the only DK rep we need in my opinion. Once she's in I'll be fine with DK representation for a long while.

I just hate the idea that people think 3 is enough, when in reality it's 4 that will be enough. People act like 4 DK reps is too many when in reality its 5 or 6 that would be too many, at least for Ultimate.

Last edited:

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Dixie is fine. The circumstances are what they are, though. DLC seems to be a third party parade and people are adjusting their expectations and desires accordingly. Waddle Dee or whatever other first party characters that appear in polls are extreme minorities. Dixie does fine when just looking at first parties.

Besides, we're in a dip right now with DK content anyway. We'll get a new DK game and that will help, since I expect Dixie will be in it.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
The Dixie situation is ironic: she was considered in brawl (albeit as a tag team with Diddy) during a time where she was missing from DK games, then not considered when she became more active in DK. I thought she was guaranteed for Smash 4 with Tropical Freeze being made at the same time.

Although, Smash seemed to have this 'dislike' towards DK. Its content was embarrassing in Smash 4, especially not having a new character (Metroid too, but at least it got great ATs). Why Gogoat when Rambi would have been perfect? Thankfully Ultimate started fixing that problem. But it is absurd that one of Nintendo's best selling series, just coming off a great revival game just like FE and being one of the original 12 needed 5 Smash games before getting its 3rd character.

I thought Dixie would be an echo with a different Up B and DK's old final smash (her guitar lets out large shockwaves). I know that her being an echo is a touchy subject in Smash discussion and she can easily be a unique. I just thought an echo would have a safer chance to make it into Smash at this point.

I don't care how she is playable, just that she's playable.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
^Serious Monkey Business is a great album! its got some big names on it, like Jake Kaufman and Joshua Morse, and also there's a song on there by David Wise with performances by Grant Kirkhope and Robin Beanland. Very cool album to have if you're a fan of Rare's music.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Be careful what you wish for. You might just get a Ganondorf.
I don't care. A Ganondorf is better than a Mii Costume, and I'd rather she (partially) have Diddy's moveset than a Mii's (which is unlikely anyway, she'd probably be a Lucas, Chrom, Ken, Wolf, or Isabelle). Even the Assist Trophies just barely appear in fan art, usually as objects of ridicule and mockery. Those that are lesser aren't even there at all in the public mind.

A Mii Costume is the worst of the worst. Dixie can't even be included in a party like this.

Last edited:

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Imagine the alternate universe where Dixie is an Assist and she got all those melodramatic assist trophy in chain fan arts.

I'm just saying, but I'd put the chains around her ponytail.

If Klump were an assist, I'd put the chains on his nipples.

Okay, I'm sorry guys. I will banish myself out.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
I can see Dixie being a Wolf-level clone. Most of Diddy's moveset fits except Up and Down B. But it's just a waste of a good unique character.
I don't want the chance of having a unique hairfighter in Smash getting squashed by a quick copy paste.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
I can see Dixie being a Wolf-level clone. Most of Diddy's moveset fits except Up and Down B. But it's just a waste of a good unique character.
I don't want the chance of having a unique hairfighter in Smash getting squashed by a quick copy paste.
Honestly, I'd rather she just have Diddy's specials and have Up-B some of his normals be replaced with hair attacks. We're long past the phase of when making things up is acceptable.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
i think because dixie's hair is a long disjointed hitbox, her best shot of making it into the game is as a marth echo

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
Aside from similar specials, Wolf's not a clone of Fox. Falco is a little more similar to Fox than Wolf.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
falco in melee has a lot of fox's moves and the vast majority of his animations. brawl gave him a lot more unique moves and animations, but he's still clearly built from a fox clone.

wolf in brawl was largely a composite of a lot of different character's moves and only really resembled fox in his specials (even those were still pretty different for following the same general functions). in ultimate he resembles fox slightly more since he now has a sex kick nair, but he's still pretty much a unique character.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
yes, from the notoriously anime-styled franchise, donkey kong country

Last edited:

zipzapsparkle

Smash Journeyman
You know what I noticed, in Mario Kart Tour most characters share a special item with another character.

Yet they changed Diddy Kong’s to something different. So now both Kongs don’t currently share special items. I think maybe they’ll add at least two more Kongs. One to share with DK and the other with Diddy.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
^somehow not optimistic that they'll be two unique characters

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
You know what I noticed, in Mario Kart Tour most characters share a special item with another character.

Yet they changed Diddy Kong’s to something different. So now both Kongs don’t currently share special items. I think maybe they’ll add at least two more Kongs. One to share with DK and the other with Diddy.
Probably something like Cranky and Dixie.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord

I have such an issue with their Mario Kart picks throughout the series. It is an opportunity to help promote characters from their established universes in order to bring more fans and attention to them. Help give them more exposure so we don't have to keep hearing 'Them? No, irrelevant!' Keep them in the spotlight as to not fall into the background. How about they add K Rool, Dixie, Mario RPG characters like Geno or Fawful, someone from Warioware like Mona or Ashley? Or keep popular ones like Diddy and Waluigi?

But no, let's add new babies, random NPCs from two missions, non-Mario universe characters and metal recolors of chatacters already on the roster 3 times.

Tour added babies before Luigi. LUIGI. Are they insane!?

Quillion

Smash Hero
How about they add K Rool, Dixie, Mario RPG characters like Geno or Fawful, someone from Warioware like Mona or Ashley? Or keep popular ones like Diddy and Waluigi?
This is my problem with the Mario spinoffs in general right here. They have the potential to bring together every corner of the extended Mario universe, yet they never take the chance.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
This is my problem with the Mario spinoffs in general right here. They have the potential to bring together every corner of the extended Mario universe, yet they never take the chance.
Could you imagine a Mario Baseball roster that consisted of:

- Diddy
- Dixie
- Cranky
- Funky
- K.Rool
- Kritter
- Tiny
- Lanky
- Captain Syrup
- Wart
- Tatanga
- Pauline
- Jimmy T.
- Ashley
- Mona
- Fawful
- 9-Volt
- Shake King
- Rawk Hawk
- Geno
- Mouser
- Poochy
- Professor E.Gadd
- Polterpup
- Goombella
- The paintcan from Color Splash (forgot name)
- Count Bleck
- Midbus
- Starlow
- The Broodals

That would be bat**** insane.

Last edited:
Top Bottom