• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I honestly wonder if Smash will include series that are mostly only famous in the west, like Halo, DOOM, etc.

It seems pretty clear to me that Sakurai wants Smash to primarily be a celebration of Nintendo and the Japanese gaming industry. Sure, we just got a western designed/owned character with Banjo & Kazooie, but they're kind of a special case. Rare was an important part of Nintendo's history, and in a game that's all about Nintendo and Japanese gaming, Banjo/Rare did feel like a missing piece of the puzzle. Moreso than any other western IP.

I don't know, I think it's somewhat telling that the only playable western designed fighters in Smash thus far are three (four?) classic Rareware era characters and a Metroid Prime character. They're all from noteworthy games that Nintendo published worldwide.

Yea, this is frustrating. I get that Nintendo and Japanese games have shaped and been the foundation of the industry, but to only highlight that area is kinda absurd. There's tons of series that have changed how we view video games, and as of the year 2000 Nintendo was far from the only one. Naughty Dog, Bungie, Bioware, CD Projekt Red, Bethesda, Insomniac Games, Sucker Punch, Gearbox, Ubisoft, Id Software, Activision, Microsoft, Sony, and much more have created series that frankly dominated the industry; while I don't expect all those companies to get their characters in for legal reasons X, Y, and Z, the fact that Ubisoft got next to nothing is suspicious. And that's the closest to Nintendo in that whole list by far.

Don't get me wrong I like the roster, and I'm happy with Ultimate, but if Smash wants to morph into a celebration of video games they'll have to expand beyond 98% Japanese characters. There's no venom directed at them, but there's more to the industry than the East.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I don't know, I think it's somewhat telling that the only playable western designed fighters in Smash thus far are three (four?) classic Rareware era characters and a Metroid Prime character. They're all from noteworthy games that Nintendo published worldwide.

If only Dixie was standing alongside them.....

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
GameFAQs tends to be a toxic place towards Dixie and many other characters in general, so color me surprised that even there she's winning. Probably one of the few pro-Dixie boards I've been able to find, at least in a relative sense.
T'is a small thing, but if anyone wants to give her a hand, go ahead, no account needed! (There are some other characters on that list I certainly wouldn't mind seeing though.)

In other news, this thread topic just popped up again, under recents, and it got me thinking, who would be Dixie's Classic Mode boss, whether bringing in a new boss fight (unlikely), or picking from one of the pre-existing ones?

Last edited:

ze9

Smash Ace
It's not really only GameFAQs. IIRC Dixie is officially Smashboards' most wanted thanks to the RTC, and I think she's very popular on Resetera too. And for what it's worth, she's a most wanted in my circle of Nintendo friends, too. Maybe her fandom is not the most vocal, but I think most people like her well enough, or at least they recognize how significant she is.
I think one character that was in a similar spot pre-release would have been Simon.

Justin Little

Smash Ace
Here's a fun video that was just uploaded 2 days ago I think this thread will get a kick out of.

Diddy is not related to DK in any way, shape or form, and no amount of silly DK 64 manuals or Smash 64 trivia (Kaptain K. Rool is King K. Rool's brother anyone?) will change my mind. I have a rule that if it wasn't stated originally in-game or in the debut of that character then it's horse****, especially when it comes to DK's lore. Something as important as Diddy being DK's nephew would've been revealed in DKC and the series itself. Since it hasn't even been referenced since those two games I mentioned, it is safe to say Diddy is just DK's best buddy.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
That's a cool video, but it's also heinous and unforgivable propaganda. The DK of today is not a son of DK Jr. He is DK Jr. himself.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
^that carries the implication that Cranky is Donkey Kong's father, which is an idea that i can't gel with

unless Jr. was DK's grandson the whole time, which would make for a weird naming convention

Last edited:

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
It's just so much nicer to have DK Jr with us all this time It's a nice little character arc to have gone from helping save his dad from Mario to defending the island with his friends in modern day.

My headcanon is that Cranky is mean enough to refer to his own son as his grandson to create some emotional distance. Mean.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
i mean yeah thats a fair interpretation actually

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Here's a fun video that was just uploaded 2 days ago I think this thread will get a kick out of.

I enjoyed this vid. A few things don't add up but I appreciate the research that went into it, plus they gave Dixie a healthy spotlight which is refreshing.

It's just so much nicer to have DK Jr with us all this time It's a nice little character arc to have gone from helping save his dad from Mario to defending the island with his friends in modern day.

My headcanon is that Cranky is mean enough to refer to his own son as his grandson to create some emotional distance. Mean.
Bro, THIS IS MY HEADCANON TOO!! I like to think that Cranky will only acknowledge DK as his son when he's undeniably proud of him. Most of the time however, DK has his own way of doing things that rubs Cranky the wrong way (he's still got some bitterness in his heart), so he admits he's of his bloodline but one layer separate. DK doesn't care though lol.

Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Hey so I have a drawing coming soon of Dixie attacking someone. Between a Mini-Necky, Hootz, Swoopy and Soary, who would y'all like to see take the hit?
Ooh, that depends, how will they get hit? Dixie jumping on them, or kicking them, or whipping them with her ponytail?

You can get some good "impact fold" (getting hit causes their upper and lower body to kinda fold together, dunno how else to describe what I mean) with the lankier Mini-Necky and Swoopy if they're hit in the belly, and some good "squish" with Hootz and Soary.

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Ooh, that depends, how will they get hit? Dixie jumping on them, or kicking them, or whipping them with her ponytail?

You can get some good "impact fold" (getting hit causes their upper and lower body to kinda fold together, dunno how else to describe what I mean) with the lankier Mini-Necky and Swoopy if they're hit in the belly, and some good "squish" with Hootz and Soary.
They're getting whipped. Impact Fold is a good term for it; I'm gonna draw her victim similarly to how enemies get knocked around in the Rayman Origins/Legends games. I won't have them balloon up though--they'll have that contorted, spazzing out look that they have right before they blow up. Kinda based off this:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
They're getting whipped. Impact Fold is a good term for it; I'm gonna draw her victim similarly to how enemies get knocked around in the Rayman Origins/Legends games. I won't have them balloon up though--they'll have that contorted, spazzing out look that they have right before they blow up. Kinda based off this:
Alright, then I'd say Mini-Necky fits the best.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
i feel like mini-necky is maybe the most recognizable of the group if thats something you desire

but my inner dkc3 defender wants swoopy

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
i feel like mini-necky is maybe the most recognizable of the group if thats something you desire

but my inner dkc3 defender wants swoopy
Yea, at first I was gonna go with Soary but then I realized maybe a different flying enemy wouldn't be a bad idea so I started looking up flying enemies from different games. Figured if I chose a DKC3 enemy that would help shine light on Dixie's game; or maybe Soary or Hootz would work since they're recent; but then again I could kill 2 birds with one stone by having Necky since it's almost as iconic as a Zinger. Didn't know where to go, so I posed the question to everyone here. Since Necky's the 1st answer I got, that'll be the victim.

Justin Little

Smash Ace

The only problem I have with this is that Cranky speaks to DK as if he never existed during that time period. The DK in DKC is supposed to represent the modern gamer, and I don't think that works if he was DKJr. Of course, I personally could go either way whether the current DK is Jr. or not.

I wish Nintendo will put their foot down and make an official Kong family tree instead of ignoring it. These debates are tiring me out, lol.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
I wish Nintendo will put their foot down and make an official Kong family tree instead of ignoring it. These debates are tiring me out, lol.
I doubt Nintendo even knows at this point. They can barely remember any other DK characters exist besides DK, Diddy, and "The Banana" half the time.

Its best to just ask Rare for an official Kong Family Tree or just continue to make your own assumptions.

Last edited:

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
I have faith that Nintendo's view on DK has changed. And that DK128 will be the DK of my dreams.

I mean our dreams.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Slightly disappointed to see Dixie didn't make the Mario Kart Tour roster. I know she's not exactly a likely choice , but I thought the more the merrier for this game. I guess I should be pleased Diddy made it back after his weird absense from Mario Kart 8 Deluxe but it'd be nice if he brought Dixie along for the ride too...and maybe expose her to a few more people.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
i feel like mario kart tour isn't quite done with characters yet. i mean they dont even have luigi

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I was really disappointed as well with Dixie's absense, but looking at the negative reception for Mario Kart Tour and the fact that most of the characters are locked behind gacha mechanics..... I probably wouldn't even be able to play as her even if she was added.

Still, any publicity is good publicity I guess. I certainly would love for her to be added just so she can be exposed to more people, but I would be far more excited for her to join an actual Mario Kart game (which, unfortunately, probably won't happen soon, due to Nintendo believing MK8D is good enough for the Switch).

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Slightly disappointed to see Dixie didn't make the Mario Kart Tour roster. I know she's not exactly a likely choice , but I thought the more the merrier for this game. I guess I should be pleased Diddy made it back after his weird absense from Mario Kart 8 Deluxe but it'd be nice if he brought Dixie along for the ride too...and maybe expose her to a few more people.
It's a GaaS and a gacha so chances are she's definitely getting in down the line. On one hand I want her to be in stuff but on the other... I won't be playing that garbage to be able to miss her.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
mario kart tour is very unappealing to me, but its so popular right now that we absolutely stand to benefit from dixie kong being part of that roster. if nothing else, we might get a lot more great fanart out of it.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
i feel like mario kart tour isn't quite done with characters yet. i mean they dont even have luigi
Oh it's absolutely not. Luigi, Baby Luigi, Wario, Waluigi, Bowser Jr, ALL the Koopalings and King Boo have all been seen in screenshots and not in the game pre-release...Luigi and the Wario Bros. absence is just weird...

I can't deny this would be the most important time to include her to publicise her though in the short window where people are actually playing.
Dr. Mario World died in popularity pretty quickly to the point I bet most people aren't aware the babies and Ludwig and Wendy were made into doctors.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I feel like Dixie is one of those characters that is simply "due" for Smash.
Dixie, Toad, Impa, Bandana Waddle Dee, Waluigi, Krystal, Geno, Isaac, Chrous Kids, Paper Mario, Crash Bandicoot.
They all seem like the Ridley and K. Rools of Smash 6. Most have been requested since the Melee days.
But luckily for this thread, I think Dixie leads the pack.

Last edited:

zipzapsparkle

Smash Journeyman
Dixie should be in Mario Kart Tour, she’s been in about the same amount of Mario games than Baby Rosalina so far (Basketball and two baseballs). I hope they make a new console Mario Kart soon because MK8D doesn’t seem like it’s getting dlc anymore.

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
As much as I dislike Mario Kart Tour (with a passion) and wish Nintendo would port a lot of the content (Karts, Diddy and Pauline, some of the tracks) to MK8D and sell it as DLC. Their is no denying the game is super popular to the ultra casual market. Dixie being part of it would skyrocket her popularity no doubt.

So I implore to all of you in the leave feadback portion of the game. Tell Nintendo you want Dixie Kong in the game. We're gonna have to campaign to get our favorite DK characters in games apparently since Nintendo just simply doesnt care about them. I know its unfair and time consuming considering how popular of a franchise DKC is but sadly its the world we live in. I'll be leaving my feedback.

EDIT: Oh and her Kart can be the Rambi Rider. Special item can be throwing a barrel like Yoshi's egg and when it breaks banana peels go everywhere.

Last edited:

zipzapsparkle

Smash Journeyman
How do we leave feedback?

Apologies for being a contrarian but I love Mario Kart Tour, for different reasons. It’s the first successful Mario game on mobile. It ranks pretty high up there with Fire Emblem and Pokémon.

I understand that it has some sketchy mechanics. The reason I love it is because it tells me that Diddy and Pauline are not going away anymore. They went through the effort to bring Diddy back and Pauline venturing even further into spin offs looks good for her. Some characters like Sprixie or Honey Queen appear once in spin offs then sadly go away.

Now Dixie is one of the characters I’m pushing for, and I apologize for going off topic. I also support Dixie for Smash bros. She’s one of the more iconic Nintendo girls.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
its ok this thread is a low-key "Dixie for Mario Kart" support too lol

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Its also low-key new DK game support and Dixie Kong amiibo as well.

zipzapsparkle zipzapsparkle go to menu then settings then customer support and then feedback and you can leave comments and suggestions in there.

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
How do we leave feedback?

Apologies for being a contrarian but I love Mario Kart Tour, for different reasons. It’s the first successful Mario game on mobile. It ranks pretty high up there with Fire Emblem and Pokémon.

I understand that it has some sketchy mechanics. The reason I love it is because it tells me that Diddy and Pauline are not going away anymore. They went through the effort to bring Diddy back and Pauline venturing even further into spin offs looks good for her. Some characters like Sprixie or Honey Queen appear once in spin offs then sadly go away.

Now Dixie is one of the characters I’m pushing for, and I apologize for going off topic. I also support Dixie for Smash bros. She’s one of the more iconic Nintendo girls.
As long as we're talking about Dixie Kong you're not going off-topic.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
What kind of environments do you guys want to see in the next DK game? I was recently looking at some stock photos and it made me want to see what DKC3 was going for, but more fully realized in modern day.
https://images.unsplash.com/photo-1...aWQiOjEyMDd9&auto=format&fit=crop&w=1650&q=80
Maybe for a new DK game, they could have a second go at this type of setting with an emphasis on the mountainous parts. Elevation, vertical stages.

But I admit my biggest request is a lot of industrial and urban environments. We haven't had a lot of that in the DK games.

https://images.unsplash.com/photo-1...aWQiOjEyMDd9&auto=format&fit=crop&w=1671&q=80
https://unsplash.com/photos/ANJHXftvvJ8
https://unsplash.com/photos/MYB2driCp2k

Maybe adjacent to NDC is a city called Kremopolis, where the Kremlings who used to live on Crocodile Isle migrated and started a big bustling city whose look and feel is more like a Kremling-flavored Tokyo or Hong Kong than NYC. But it doesn't have to be like that at all. There is a lot out there for potential inspiration that I'd want to see pulled into DK.

https://unsplash.com/photos/va55rDQgRBk
https://unsplash.com/photos/oR9ZisoF_NE

I think an "Urban DK" sounds very fun and could provide an environment where the Kongs' abilities really stand out.

R O F L

Smash Ace
Considering the pacing of Nintendo's exclusives, a new Donkey Kong or something should be released in the next two years. It'll probably either be some sort of remaster, a new Country, or possibly a spin-off.
I'm leaning toward a HD remake of the original game, or trilogy. Retro Studios very likely wasn't working on a new DK after DKC:TF considering Tropical Freeze's flop sales on the Wii U. Also, I doubt they'd remaster Tropical Freeze if they were developing a new game. And for anyone who doesn't know, Retro is currently working on Metroid Prime 4, it's possible for them to be working on another game at the same time, though.
It's unlikely for another studio to be working on a new Donkey Kong Country game, because Nintendo wants non-Japanese developers working on DK, which is why Retro was chosen for Returns in the first place.

On the other hand, a HD remake of the original games could be made by Japanese developers, because the gameplay and personality are already established. Also, like I said some time ago, the recent popularity of K. Rool and Rare could lure lots of people into playing a DKC remake, even those who haven't ever played the original games.
A HD trilogy is further supported by the lack of DKC on SNES Nintendo Switch Online. The third best-selling SNES game, which is fully owned by Nintendo, not being on SNES Online is either deliberate or Nintendo is yet again being extremely dumb, especially during the largest increase in K. Rool's and DKC's popularity in ages.

What kind of environments do you guys want to see in the next DK game? I was recently looking at some stock photos and it made me want to see what DKC3 was going for, but more fully realized in modern day.
https://images.unsplash.com/photo-1...aWQiOjEyMDd9&auto=format&fit=crop&w=1650&q=80
Maybe for a new DK game, they could have a second go at this type of setting with an emphasis on the mountainous parts. Elevation, vertical stages.

But I admit my biggest request is a lot of industrial and urban environments. We haven't had a lot of that in the DK games.

https://images.unsplash.com/photo-1...aWQiOjEyMDd9&auto=format&fit=crop&w=1671&q=80
https://unsplash.com/photos/ANJHXftvvJ8
https://unsplash.com/photos/MYB2driCp2k

Maybe adjacent to NDC is a city called Kremopolis, where the Kremlings who used to live on Crocodile Isle migrated and started a big bustling city whose look and feel is more like a Kremling-flavored Tokyo or Hong Kong than NYC. But it doesn't have to be like that at all. There is a lot out there for potential inspiration that I'd want to see pulled into DK.

https://unsplash.com/photos/va55rDQgRBk
https://unsplash.com/photos/oR9ZisoF_NE

I think an "Urban DK" sounds very fun and could provide an environment where the Kongs' abilities really stand out.
I'd like to see a desert. It's a simple environment that hasn't ever been featured in a Donkey Kong game. The closest we got to a desert world was the savanna island in DKC:TF.

Top Bottom