• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
I've resorted to using a few clickbaity tactics on the Twitter to gain attention. I hope that isn't bothering anyone, but honestly, it's kind of fun to just hop on the bandwagon and make a "This is your fighter pass. Are you satisfied?" post. Now if only more people would follow...

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
I know this isn't the right place to post this, but this is pretty much the only thread I post in :laugh: I always wanted to make a roster so I finally gave it a shot! And this is what I came up with (until my mind changes lol).

I wanted to fill the roster screen with every row we have right now. So it's 75 characters.

Captain Toad and Ashley were added to the Mario line. Dixie and Cranky to DK. Ganondorf is back to his Twilight Princess look and Skyward Sword Impa is added so all 3D Zelda games are represented (Young Link would also be based off of Majora's Mask). Porky and Black Shadow were added to bring in more villains. Hector since he's an axe user and Tiki since she's a recurring character in the series. Dee and Krystal got added to their respective series. Incineroar was swapped out for Blaziken and Decidueye was added.

For the one offs, Takamaru, Mike Jones, Lip, Isaac, Chibo Robo, Marshal, Dillion and Spring Man made the cut.

And for 3rd parties, I wanted to keep it to 5. So the big 3 stayed and I added Geno and Rayman.
Looks great! Where did you get that style of the CSS? I have the Roster Maker V.11 and it has the Brawl styled boxes. I like to post my roster in that version of the CSS.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I know this isn't the right place to post this, but this is pretty much the only thread I post in :laugh: I always wanted to make a roster so I finally gave it a shot! And this is what I came up with (until my mind changes lol).

I wanted to fill the roster screen with every row we have right now. So it's 75 characters.

Captain Toad and Ashley were added to the Mario line. Dixie and Cranky to DK. Ganondorf is back to his Twilight Princess look and Skyward Sword Impa is added so all 3D Zelda games are represented (Young Link would also be based off of Majora's Mask). Porky and Black Shadow were added to bring in more villains. Hector since he's an axe user and Tiki since she's a recurring character in the series. Dee and Krystal got added to their respective series. Incineroar was swapped out for Blaziken and Decidueye was added.

For the one offs, Takamaru, Mike Jones, Lip, Isaac, Chibo Robo, Marshal, Dillion and Spring Man made the cut.

And for 3rd parties, I wanted to keep it to 5. So the big 3 stayed and I added Geno and Rayman.
Looks great! Where did you get that style of the CSS? I have the Roster Maker V.11 and it has the Brawl styled boxes. I like to post my roster in that version of the CSS.
Not OP but https://connorrentz.wixsite.com/rosterbuilder is great, it has menu styles from pretty much anything from 64, Melee, Brawl, Wii U, Ultimate, Mario Kart, Hyrule Warriors, and even Soul Calibur. It takes a super long time to download all of it though, so if you're just interested in the Ultimate style you can just download Roster Builder Ultimate instead of the original with all of it.

My question is how SeashoreWar SeashoreWar was able to get the game's subtitle fonts for the character names in the roster.

Last edited:

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
Not OP but https://connorrentz.wixsite.com/rosterbuilder is great, it has menu styles from pretty much anything from 64, Melee, Brawl, Wii U, Ultimate, Mario Kart, Hyrule Warriors, and even Soul Calibur. It take a super long time to download all of it though, so if you're just interested in the Ultimate style you can just download Roster Builder Ultimate instead of the original with all of it.

My question is how SeashoreWar SeashoreWar was able to get the subtitle fonts from the game for the character names in the roster.
Sounds good but the 'Roster Builder Ultimate' button doesn't work.

SeashoreWar

Smash Journeyman
Thanks! I recreated it in adobe illustrator.

My question is how SeashoreWar SeashoreWar was able to get the game's subtitle fonts for the character names in the roster.
It's not the actual font. Just one that looks similar.

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
That also goes for Squawks, Birthnote.

Periodt!
Whoa whoa whoooooa... Squawks is fine as a recovery; he became playable in Dixie's debut and is the only Buddy to be in each DKC. Not even Rambi has that honor, since Ellie substituted for him once. Gotta give the perfect attendance AB some love too lol.

Plus we give Dixie variety; she can keep the Tropical Freeze double jump and the DKC2 Spinning Kong while flying with Squawks. Personally I think it's a win-win-win lol.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Verge and shinobi are banking on the Banjo rumors being true.

Honestly, it makes me feel more saddened that Dixie is not in.

Now I have this urge to see Dixie in to complete the Rare characters, sorta like the FE: Awakening trio.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

Now I have this urge to see Dixie in to complete the Rare characters, sorta like the FE: Awakening trio.
Someday, for sure. I would count on Banjo being a mainstay.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

Dixie and Krystal and than the Rare cast is complete.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
i wonder how funky fans feel about his prospects as an echo compared to dixie fans

Akg0001

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Akin01
i wonder how funky fans feel about his prospects as an echo compared to dixie fans
Im sure they are cool with that for smash ultimate. Everyone knows dixie should be next, so funky getting in smash ultimate even as an echo, would be very lucky.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Im sure they are cool with that for smash ultimate. Everyone knows dixie should be next, so funky getting in smash ultimate even as an echo, would be very lucky.
As Funky would probably say in the cartoon "It would be swinging dude!" I don't know if he has ever said that, but that sounds like something he would say.

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
I don't think there are dedicated "Funky fans". Just people who like Donkey Kong Country and enjoy the character. If there was a Funky fanbase though, I would absolutely be down to join it.

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
That's pretty cool, definitely my favorite that I've seen so far. I wouldn't have thought about it but it works. I wonder what she'd look like with blue headphones around her neck.

Edit:

I just changed the eyes cause I thought they looked a little too not like a DK character.

She looks happier too.

Oh god, I just noticed. SHE HAS HEADPHONES ON. BUT NOT ON HER EARS: AROUND HER NECK AS A FASHION STATEMENT. SO SHE CAN TOTALLY HEAR US! How embarrassing.
HAH! Nice little edit, I wanted to make her a little badass with a smirk and a mean kinda look, as if she was really gettin' into a jam. The headphones around her neck is a nice idea too, maybe next time I draw her I'll add them! But when she's not givin' the mean look, I'm totally into eyes like that, big and blue, googly, very Rare, heh. All for it.

And no, I don't see her as furry bait, if anything, I'm trying to remove the furry bait she already has in her more humanoid form in DK64... My attempt was to make her more like a gorilla, and more like an action hero, and less a sex object. But also still feminine... Yeah, it's a tough mixture of qualities, but I like my outcome. Planet Cool Planet Cool

Last edited:

cybersai

Smash Ace
Yeah if Banjo gets in which seems quite possible now, Dixie's chances need to increase drastically by the next Smash. She's one of the few long standing requests that's a Nintendo all-star and continually in new games besides Toad, so hopefully she has a chance.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Thought some of you guys would be interested in this.

"A new 2D platformer from the original creators behind Donkey Kong Country & Banjo-Kazooie"

For some of those who don't know the studio behind this game is named Playtonic Games, A studio formed of mainly Ex-Rareware employees that were behind the games I mentioned before and took an earlier crack at a spiritual successor to Banjo-Kazooie with this very same franchise a couple of years ago, This looks like a great DKC style game that also looks like they took notes from Retro too as it looks very Returns/Tropical Freeze like and this could potentially scratch that itch for a new DKC game if we don't get one anytime soon and the soundtrack will be composed by none other than David Wise & Grant Kirkhope !!!

Definitely worth keeping this one on your radar.

Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I have concerns about the legibility of the game. This tweet goes into further details, with proposed fixes in a follow up tweet:

There was a problem fetching the tweet

If they fix these issues, I'm down to try it out. Would be nice to play a 2.5D platformer made by Rare proper.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Yeah, I noticed that too. I think that seems to be an issue in that area in particular. The other areas look better, but maybe it's because also that area also seems completely full of stuff. It's actually pretty but I can definitely see how you could get lost.

As a side note, I don't really like the enemy designs in this game. But to be honest, I never really liked the Banjo enemies outside of the bosses. I always liked the DKC enemies way better. Give me a Gnawty with all the vaccinations done before you give me those green guys from Grunty's Lair any day of the week.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Thought some of you guys would be interested in this.

"A new 2D platformer from the original creators behind Donkey Kong Country & Banjo-Kazooie"

For some of those who don't know the studio behind this game is named Playtonic Games, A studio formed of mainly Ex-Rareware employees that were behind the games I mentioned before and took an earlier crack at a spiritual successor to Banjo-Kazooie with this very same franchise a couple of years ago, This looks like a great DKC style game that also looks like they took notes from Retro too as it looks very Returns/Tropical Freeze like and this could potentially scratch that itch for a new DKC game if we don't get one anytime soon and the soundtrack will be composed by none other than David Wise & Grant Kirkhope !!!

Definitely worth keeping this one on your radar.
Yooka-Laylee: Country.

cybersai

Smash Ace
Dixie Kong is the biggest Rare character still missing now. The last piece of the puzzle.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Yeah, I noticed that too. I think that seems to be an issue in that area in particular. The other areas look better, but maybe it's because also that area also seems completely full of stuff. It's actually pretty but I can definitely see how you could get lost.

As a side note, I don't really like the enemy designs in this game. But to be honest, I never really liked the Banjo enemies outside of the bosses. I always liked the DKC enemies way better. Give me a Gnawty with all the vaccinations done before you give me those green guys from Grunty's Lair any day of the week.
As a big fan of both Donkey Kong and Banjo-Kazooie, I can agree with that.

DK's enemies are more natural and animal based since no surprise the world is Jungle/Nature based, Kremings are the superior enemy faction from their designs and personality, Even DK's animal enemies feel natural and fit in with the world along with most of the bosses.

BK's enemies are more fairy tale based as most of Grunty's henchman are grunts and are more ogre/monster- like which aren't as appealing as the Kremlings, But the best enemies from BK are the inanimate objects with googly eyes and the bosses too as they ooze personality and are very charming. There are some wacky animal enemies as well ,But not to the extent of DK.

Will still keep this new game on my radar as I am craving another Donkey Kong Country game and I'm getting Tropical Freeze vibes from this trailer.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Seeing Banjo & Kazooie getting in will have me wanting Dixie Kong even more because her absence will feel even greater because of the bear and bird Rare duo finally getting in.

SeashoreWar

Smash Journeyman
Time for some Jungle Beat love, with Hoofer and Flurl joining the set! And some bongo inspired wheels added as well.

SeashoreWar

Smash Journeyman
I know what everyone here is thinking, "I wonder what DK costumes would look like in a Box Boy game?" Well look no further! I got the idea from the Kirby costumes :laugh:

And I did some updates to my roster. Mostly to Zelda and Fire Emblem.

And I also did a version with everyone's favorite, no 3rd parties!

Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I know what everyone here is thinking, "I wonder what DK costumes would look like in a Box Boy game?" Well look no further! I got the idea from the Kirby costumes :laugh:

I fukken LOVE Boxboy! So neat to see all the DK characters here!

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny

Thanks for all the DK ideas, Seashore! I'm working on 2 pieces of art too but I can't get them out quickly, so it's always good to have more artists here!

Your recent MK set was pretty dope BTW, as all of yours are!

SeashoreWar

Smash Journeyman
I fukken LOVE Boxboy! So neat to see all the DK characters here!
I still need to play them! I'm hoping they do a physical collection with all the games.

Thanks for all the DK ideas, Seashore! I'm working on 2 pieces of art too but I can't get them out quickly, so it's always good to have more artists here!

Your recent MK set was pretty dope BTW, as all of yours are!
Thanks! Can't wait to see your stuff!

I'm gonna go back and do Rambi, Ellie and Ram Bunkshus the same way as Hoofer. They don't really need the windshield on there.

I think it's the guy from Dragalia Lost (the gacha) but that would be Euden with a D.
Wow I messed that up. :laugh: I'll have to fix that. But yes he's from Dragalia Lost.

Top Bottom